Speaker 1: I got you, Bloody Champs, Craig Anthey Arpatifany and good Patrick, James Manela. It's the You Project, It's the tech show. It's a once a fortnite bloody extravaganza of let's be honest, mainly bullshit with a bit of technology thrown in. Speaking of bullshit, Hi Patrick.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's just the epic.
Speaker 1: I love you, I love you. You're loved. How are you?
Speaker 2: Well? You know you're saying I'm loved, but I'm not feeling that.
Speaker 1: Well. It's the I don't know, it's the dysfunctional Australian male way.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: If I love you, I'm not going to tell you, or if I'm going to tell you, I'm going to put your funck with on the end of it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and punch me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and punch you. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't just look at you and go, Patrick, I love you, because that that is way too weird, probably even for you, who's a little bit more evolved than me. Okay a lot. That's probably even weird for you. But you know, I love you, mate. That's all right, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I love you too, Craigo, And if I love you too, and please don't punch me.
Speaker 4: I was just about the same. My love language is a left.
Speaker 2: Hook exactly, That's right, That.
Speaker 1: Is funny. What is your love language speaking? And let's just get this out of the way. So if you the four of you don't know, is it not Gary Gray?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? John Gray?
Speaker 4: John Gray's Gary?
Speaker 1: Some just just gone blame anyway, the Five Love Languages?
Speaker 2: John, Can I just clarify something you just said, the four of you? Who's the other person out in three of us?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, I was going to say, the four of you who haven't heard of that book, The Five Love Languages?
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, because.
Speaker 1: I've spoken about it quite a bit. But anyway, the five love languages, physical touch, words of affirmation, quality time, I'm what is it? What is the gifts? And acts of service? Thank you? Patrick? And yeah, what's yours? Mate?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Like, what when you are expressing love or you want to show someone that you love them, what do you? And I guess it depends whether or not it's you know, like family or friend or someone or something a bit more intimate, But what's your what's your kind of how do you show people that you love them or care about them.
Speaker 2: I'm big into hugs. Yeah, you both have been recipients.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I've been to see a movie with you and pretty much we held hands the whole time. I mean, you know there were moments where we didn't, you know, that time where you were holding my cocky and when it got scary. But you can't say that, can't take that out, tip, take it out, take it out and job in the cinema hashtag coming soon what I know, and by coming I mean movie stop it wow, straight in.
Speaker 4: We've just what has has been banned from Hoyts.
Speaker 1: He calls it cooits Oh god, So it took us thirteen seconds to get here. I apologize, no wonder no one listens to this episode. There's three sick fucks and go this is this whole technology thing. It's a ruse. There's nothing, there's nothing going on here, nothing to see here.
Speaker 2: Fans of the podcast realm, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's it. And Tiff, what about so Patrick's physical touch And by the way, everyone that doesn't despite all the bullshit, that doesn't have to mean anything sexual. It's just off in a hug or or you know, a tap on the back or a little bit of a quick sideways squeeze or something. What about you?
Speaker 2: Sorry? What is his think that sounds creepy? What from a hut to a bit of a sideways grope?
Speaker 1: I said squeeze, I did not say grope. Sorry, call Tiff.
Speaker 4: I think I'm a bit words of affirmation, you know what? You know what's interesting? I look at how I behave with my animals bother them.
Speaker 1: But I think that's because I reckon. I reckon. Your love language is context a pennant, like because yeah, you're you don't open the door that wide with humans, but animals you're like it's a free for all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like sometimes I think if I was someone's girlfriend, the way I behave with my dogs, i'd have the restraining order to put on me.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, and I know this is like cliche, but like you know that like even cats, like animals don't lie, like they might hate you or love you, but you're going to know they might want affection or not, but they're not pretending, you know, And even if they want food, they're you know, they're very clear about what they want. You know, there's you don't have to read between the lines like you do with humans. There's no persona and person.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm having a bit of a chuckle to myself because whilst we've been talking, my dog has walked into the little studio and pressed his head up against my hand, and now I'm just padding him. Fritz. What we're talking, he knows, which is why I'm leading to one side. I'm not having a stroke or anything, but like he's having anyway, Leave it there.
Speaker 1: Gary Chapman, his name is fucking hell. Why did I blank on that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Speaking of dogs and animals, Patrick, I see on your little chat list that we want to open. I don't know how much this is tech, but it is psychology, so I do love it, and it does involve dogs, so we all love it. I think you know. I had to tell you. I don't think this is new research, but I love the research.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So tell us about why having a dog could be good for your health.
Speaker 2: Well, look, they did it. The research specifically looked at how we interact with dogs but also cats, and what they tried to do was typify a dog owner and a cat owner. Now you fall smack bang in the middle. Tip, But it's interestingly before Craig jumped into the call. You were actually you were bitching about your stand up desks. What did your cat do?
Speaker 4: What did a cat do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Why doesn't your desk work anymore? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, she chewed the fucking cord that makes it go up and down.
Speaker 2: So cat owners have a higher tendency towards anxiety and they're more neurotic than dog owners. I don't care.
Speaker 1: Wow, how I wonder is that just is that a byproduct of owning a cat? Or is that just that eurotic anxious people choose cats because cats are eurotic and anxious.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point. Well, look, this was only a survey of three hundred and twenty one people and it was done at James Cook University and right here at Australia. But the reason for it was it was a lot of people got a lot of consolation during COVID lockdown by having pets, and it seemed that people who had dogs got through it and were more resilient, particularly if they were confined, and so that helped a lot. Oh that's showing. What did your cat? Oh did they knock over the mug and break it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the last mug that she's broke, she's break. She's gotten rid of thirty on indoor plants in the two years I've had her, and all of the ornaments have been broken. And about three mugs.
Speaker 2: Are you really anxious right now that your cat could be doing something while you're stuck here the podcast?
Speaker 4: I'm feeling like I'm not sure what my love language is anymore?
Speaker 1: Why do you keep buying indoor plans if you know that their time is nine?
Speaker 4: No? No, now I've got now I have artificial ones? Wow, yeah, which she still causes chaos with.
Speaker 1: I don't know the value of just is it just an aesthetic thing?
Speaker 4: Or do you like an aesthetic thing? Now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And so all those ones I can see over your left shoulder, there's about five. Are they fake?
Speaker 4: Two of them are real? There's two that she hasn't messed with. The other twenty eight odd They made their way outside and eventually passed away.
Speaker 1: Patrick. I don't want to throw an emotional spanner in the works, but like we've been through this with Tiff, where you know, one of the puppies died way way way before she should have. How old is Fritz? Now?
Speaker 2: It's that ton nine on the first of so We'll know he's.
Speaker 1: Going to live to twenty five, so let's not worry. But when he does turn twenty five and goes to that big fucking kennel in the sky, are you going to get another one?
Speaker 2: I will be an emotional mess for quite a while. My previous give you a bit of a snapshot. I've only ever had two dogs, and my previous dog died suddenly at the pet rumors, so it was quite a shock.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was totally bereft. I was a blubbering idiot. So yeah, I really struggled when I lost my first dog. And to give you an idea of how bad it was. For the next month after that, I'd go walking in the morning with his ashes in my backpack because I just felt I still wanted to walk him.
Speaker 1: No, my god, that's the saddest thing ever.
Speaker 2: Well, I just they are. And that was the interesting thing. People with dogs during COVID were less lonely, you know, having a dog and that connection, you know, like I said, I'm sitting I'm still sitting here right now patting him. I think for people, particularly older people or people who live alone, it's great to have that company, to have that animal next to you to talk to, to play with, you know, and also the sense of reliance. I kind of like that, you know, caring and talking about love languages. I mean, you look after an animal. I've always felt and I've always said that I'm not a pet owner. I feel that I'm entrusted to look after the animal as opposed to owning the animal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you. I don't like owner, like it kind of infers that the animal is a commodity or a product, you know, an item to be owned. Yeah. I don't like that language either, because I don't think, you know, I don't think we can own animals. Yeah, like I understand the language, but to me, it's the wrong language.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's exactly why I never say I own Fritz. I'm entrusted with him. And it's great. I think that if you can I haven't had a dog and you have an opportunity to babysit one's it's a lot of fun. And when you connect and if you're the same, I know how much you love your dog and your cat on some level. Hey, if you had to choose which one, would you choose the dog the cat?
Speaker 4: By choose there's no choosing.
Speaker 1: You can't ask it.
Speaker 2: You can't ask it.
Speaker 1: You can't ask I don't want to open the pain door any wider than it's been opened, but fuck it, I'm doing it on behalf of the curious listeners. You're welcome, listeners, Patrick. How does somebody send their dog to the groomers and the dog not come back as much or as little as you want to share? And if that is zero, that's fine, But I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: What happened was Look, we think it may have been a heart condition, you know, and the diet stressed when they were being groomed. So but yeah, it was just pretty awful. And look, the groomer was bereft as well. You know, it wasn't just me. I mean, obviously they didn't plan for that to happen, says he who got there and started giving his dog mouth to resuscitation. You know, I know how to give CPI had a dog and not a human.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not the worst skill to have. It's pretty transferable too. So just think of the next person that's lifeless as a big dog, and you'll be fine to.
Speaker 2: Put your hand over their mouth and breathe into their nose.
Speaker 1: Okay, you could even do that. You could do that. You know it's not the preferred.
Speaker 5: Model or operating system, but well, right, can we can we talk about something more uplifting because everybody's reaching for the fucking tissues and some anti depressant at the minute.
Speaker 2: Can we Yeah, okay, here's a good one. How do you want to feel like you're living a fuller, longer enriched life.
Speaker 1: We all do, right, Yes, I would think nobody's going to say no to.
Speaker 2: That, Isn't it interesting? Do you remember when you were in primary school how school holidays went for a million years, and when you're younger, everything takes longer. Everything felt like it went for an eternity. School went for an eternity, and then you went home, and then it was an eternity, and then you went back to school again in the home. So it's an interesting I guess psychological aspect to our perception of who we are and what we do is that the way we perceive the movement of time so constant, and we experience it in the same way. Every minute lasts the same for me and for you and for Tiff. However, depending on what we're doing, that can change. Dramatically. And a good example is if you go the same place to the same location for the first time you go there, it seems like it takes a long time. Then as you become more familiar with the route that you're taking, it seems to take less time. The more familiarity, we're not taking in new information. So if you want to as you get older, you know, we say it all the time, gosh, you know, time flies, you know suddenly you know you're sixty seven years old and every day is a blink. But what it's thought is the way to enhance your life. If you want to feel like you're living a longer life, start doing newer things, learn newer things, and not to be anything drastic. You know, you could join my taichi class. No, but if you think about it, anything new that you do takes more mental focus. As a consequence, it's from a perception perspective, it feels like it's taking longer, and so holding on to a thought. You may be in meditation, you might be praying, or you could be out learning a new skill, you could be doing pottery, whatever it happens to be. But doing new things can be really beneficial and it might be going a different way for your walk in the morning, and suddenly you're seeing new things, taking notice of new things, new flowers, new hills, you know, whatever it happens to be. So it's just an interesting little exercise that we can all do, and it's not expensive and it doesn't take a lot of energy. It just is about shifting the way that we think about what we're doing to try to make our life, according to neuroscience, more fuller.
Speaker 1: I love it. And also there's the that actually makes sense and I haven't really thought of that, but I've always been fascinated with the constant that is time versus our perception and our individual experience of that constant, because you're right, like, if you're in the middle of something fucking horrible, five minutes seems like five hours, and if you're in a complete state of flow and maybe euphoria, an hour can seem like three or four minutes, you know, because that's the way that we process it. But I think also when you're doing new things, apart from that kind of different perception of time, you know, you're having a new experience, like you're learning something and you may be opening the door to you know, a different set of you know, or a different lot of biochemistry happening in the brain because you're you're tapping into new things. And yeah, I like it. It makes sense too. But also think about this. When you're four, like twelve months is twenty five percent of your life, but when you're sixty, like me, it's not even two percent, you know, So there is that that relative to the age of the individual kind of factor as well.
Speaker 2: Well. What are the things you can think if you're brushing your teeth and you have to use your non dominant hand because you're focusing so much harder, it seems to take a lot longer, doesn't it. Yes, yes, you know those neural pathways of focus and attention. It's actually an interesting thing to do. I always take my tell my tie cheese students to brush their teeth standing on one foot and that way. It's a good thing for core stability, and also because they're moving their hands up and down, you're getting those micro movements and you're having to readjust your balance constantly. It's just so simple. It doesn't take much at all, but you turn something really mundane into something you've got to focus on a lot more.
Speaker 1: Now I do the same thing. I used to tell people to dry the dishes on one foot, so and that's same thing. You've got to reach over, grab the thing, grab the bowl, grab your tea towel, drive, put it on the bench. Reach. Yeah. Yeah, doing old things in new ways is a great way to keep young and to keep your body and your brain kind of evolving because you're not doing you're not stuck in groundtog day in terms of mindset or behavior or action taking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, across the road from your place that you go to a lot, Well, instead of walking across the road, walk around the block the opposite way.
Speaker 4: Hm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny you say that. I typically have been running two or three k's three times a week, and I do the same course, and I started doing a different course. I enjoy it so much more, Like every time I just go somewhere different now, which is to your point, And I didn't even think about it. I just thought, I'm just going to I'm sick of this particular route because I know exactly how long it is, so when I get to certain points, I know what time I should be at because I'm not competitive at all. And then but now just going in different spaces and places and directions every time, I actually am having more fun.
Speaker 2: Did the stalking charges help make you change your route as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I mean sure, I mean there's that and also the divvy van that follows me as I run, which I mean that's a little disconcerting. But don't say that. People think you serious. All right, tell us about wherever you want to go. I'm not at the Tetris effect. What is the Tetris effect? I love Tetris, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, on me too. Tetris is one of the best games ever because it is so mentally challenging. The Tetris effect. It was discovered or if you play a game of Tetris for quite a lengthy amount of time and then you go to bed, it was found that some people who are gamers were visualizing subconsciously the Tetris effect, So the Tetris blocks turning around. So people know what tetrises. I'm assuming people know Tetris well.
Speaker 1: I would think half doo and half days.
Speaker 2: So it's like all it is is basically a screen where you've got colored blocks that are falling down and you have to rearrange the blocks so that they stack a long row, and then if you complete a row, the road then disappears, so you can belong the game by doing that. Is that kind of makes sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but I wouldn't think of Yeah yeah, but I think anyone who's listening to this who's twenty five or thirty even or younger, they're definitely not saying Tetris is awesome. They're going, you are such a fucking granddad, Tetris is awesome. It's like going, oh, have you seen table tennis? Fucking hell, it's the next big thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: We weren't playing it in the eighties, which is forty years ago, Grandpa, it was a long time, agodly groundbreaking. What about tetris though? That's big? No, it's not.
Speaker 2: So this researcher a govern the number Robert stick Gold. He that's not a real name name, not a.
Speaker 1: Real name, that's a pseudonym. He named Brian mcgilla Cuddy.
Speaker 2: So what he realized was he named the phenomenon after the puzzle because this usually happens when you're doing repetitive tasks just prior to going to sleep. But there actually is a positive flow and effect from this because what they're talking about doing is using this tetris effect people with PTSD. So people who have trouble sleeping, they want to do is they try to get the to play the game when they're recalling whatever the trauma happens to be, and it reworks the memory and write is it rewrites to the mental hard drive. And they're saying it can help lessen the impact of the memory when used in conjunction with playing a video game like this.
Speaker 1: That is really interesting. We call that that. You know, when there's a stimulus, like you think about like that neuro association, that thought has a neurological kind of consequence in the body and where that that trauma. Yeah, that that's clever. That's clever, Like I have this neuro association. Did you ever eat that that meat? What was it called that? Like lunch meat? It was called no, not spam. It was you know in those big tubes that your mum used to slice. Oh my god, not salami, No, not salami, no salamis.
Speaker 2: It was like.
Speaker 1: I forget.
Speaker 2: It was very the meat products for crying out.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, but you haven't always been a vegan. You used to eat fucking charred animal flesh. Don't don't pretend you grew up eating carrots. Anyway, I ate some of this sandwich meat. Essentially it is just shit. And I got violently ill. I got food poisoning, and I used to love it, and then I got food poisoning. And then even now the if you gave me, if you just put that in front of me, I start to dry reach and that was I was so ill.
Speaker 2: And it was.
Speaker 1: Because of that stuff. And every time I would spew, I could taste it, and oh my god. Yeah, but that's forty years later and I still can't even think about it.
Speaker 2: Well, talking about processed meat, I did actually try a thing called tongue and versed once. What do you reckon toungu in verst is?
Speaker 1: I think it is a German product involving tongue.
Speaker 2: Correct and it's basically sliced tongue, and the slices of the show the shape of the tongue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, my old man. Mild Man's like that, mild man, he'll it fucking everything that you don't want it, like tongue off lanes, like liver. I know people are going to go live. It's amazing live, Its fucking horrible.
Speaker 2: The reason life sounds like awful.
Speaker 1: Oh it is? It is, all right, So tell me about screen fatigue, because I feel like this might be something to which I'm susceptible and everyone really.
Speaker 2: Well, after the show today, I've got an eye appointment to get an eye check up, so I haven't got glasses yet, and every time I go for one of my annual checkup, I think high end. It's now, isn't it. It's got to be now glasses anyway, So screen fatigue, it's something that's becoming more prevalent. And so there are a number of different dangers associated with screen fatigue, and I say dangers with an emphasis on well I came quite so dangerous. But there are some problems that you can you can you know you can have. And one of the little rules that you can try to remember this is from the American Optometric Association Optometric Optometric. I guess, so let's go optometric. I think it sounds good anyway. They advise what they call the twenty twenty twenty rule. Okay, so every twenty minutes, look at something twenty feet away for at least twenty seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yep, yeah, that's that's good advice. It is like look at something in the distance, is like look at the horizon. There is another one they go which you know, however far that is for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I've set up my desk specifically so that the windows on the side and I can look down the driveway well as I can see people coming up and down the driveway. V It means I do have a long distance viewable angle. Because if you're looking at a screen for a long time, what it can do is it causes dry eyes and irritation. So that's the prolonged time. It means that we don't actually blink as much when we look at screen. Yeah, this is typically blinking it like millions miles an hour. So that then causes dry eyes and irritation. So when we look at us, it's interesting, isn't it that we we are subconsciously not blinking as much when we look at it a screen. It's so so weet.
Speaker 1: I've got a trick a hack. What if we had a huge screen, but we put it twenty feet away, so we're always looking at something twenty feet away. Yeah, yeah, no, I that seemed like what seemed like the advice is, you know, looking at something twenty feet away is good for our eyes. What if our screen was twenty feet Well, we have like one hundred inch TV and that became your.
Speaker 4: Screens in a house that big.
Speaker 2: Patrick does does close every twenty minutes. Look at something close?
Speaker 1: Can I here's the pause button for a moment. Now you sent I think you sent Tiff as well? You sent me and Tiff well you sent me? Did he send them to you? Those photos tif?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so some were a bunch of flowers and outdoor beautiful things, but one was a big room, empty looking room. I'm assuming that's the new chie study.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so finished. Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 1: For those who haven't been listening, you're turning your garage what is a large garage because you're rich into a tai chi to studio. Yes, I can say that ten times fast. And it looks good. It looks good. What's the update?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Where are you at? Oh?
Speaker 2: This has been an exciting thing for me. I haven't really done much in the way of Renault's before, but I've got a really great builder, and so it's a massive garage. It's like nine meters by five meters. It's enormous. You could fit three four cars in it. Easily more, of course. But the idea being is that because I do teach tai chi, but if I want to do one on one or small sessions, it's kind of expensive to hire out a location to do at a hall or something like that. And you know, I was one of those people that I just stored crap in my garage. It's very cathartic throwing things away. I had two skips so far, and I've got another skip coming soon to throw more stuff away coming soon.
Speaker 1: Do you not have any shit that you can give to people? Like good shit?
Speaker 2: You know I've given away some stuff. Yes, No, I certainly. I've been trying to give away a beautiful art deco wardrobe, but people don't want wardrobes anymore.
Speaker 1: No, I think it might be that wardrobe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, so anyway, in answer to your question the paint.
Speaker 1: I don't know that that art deco and beautiful go in the same sentence, do they.
Speaker 2: My whole house is art deco decorate.
Speaker 1: We're not the whole rest my case.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, I'm going to restind my invitation.
Speaker 1: With ha ha ha oh. No, I love your house and you I've never even seen it, but he's answering your question. Sorry, oh man, jeez, I'm an only child. I have a predisposition for interruption.
Speaker 2: You do. So the painting has been done, very excited, and then the plumber is due next week and the electrician, so I wanted to get the painting done before that and then it'll be all good to go.
Speaker 1: What's on the floor, what's going to be?
Speaker 2: I've just put green tongue on the floor at the moment because I've kind of run out of money. So if you're not familiar with green tongue, it's kind of a it's it's the like chipboard, so maybe enemy to thick chipboard that links together. But the green tongue as opposed to the I think orange tongue is more it's more water resistant. So I've just locked that down on the concrete.
Speaker 1: And is it b yo matts?
Speaker 2: No, No, no, we don't do You don't use mats for ti chi. You just do it in soft shoes like runners and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Really, don't you ever get on your back or anything?
Speaker 2: No. Tie chee is a slow moving martial art form, so I guess only if you fall down.
Speaker 1: Well, in my version of tie chi, we do it on our back. So you clearly haven't evolved. So if you want to do what I like to call a supine tichi, just hit me up.
Speaker 2: There are different forms of tie chief for people who are incapacitated, So if they're in a wheelchair or whatever, they can do the upper body parts of the tie chi movement I'm beating is now, by the way, increased stress and anxiety is also something that's associated with looking at screens and talking to Craig Harper.
Speaker 1: And imagine if you're talking to Craig Arper on a screen, it's like the fucking double banger, absolutely double wordy.
Speaker 2: That's funny al right now on Long twenty twenty twenty, Craigo.
Speaker 1: Okay twenty twenty twenty, yes exactly.
Speaker 2: Hey have you heard of a new term called raw dogging.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's a new term, Patrick, I think that's an old term, and I think it refers to sexual relations without appropriate protection. That is exactly what it's referring to.
Speaker 2: Not now, not by the funky cool trendy YouTubers.
Speaker 1: See, I don't know those of us who are older than twenty raw dogging is. My mum was against it. Choose to say to me, if it's not on, it's not on, and I'd say, yes, mum, but get out of the room though, and and what are you doing with the handicam go away? Ah? Fuck, I see this is a problem.
Speaker 4: If it's not on, it's not on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not on, it's not on. This is what happens when you do sixteen hundred podcasts and you're in a little bit of pain. Which we won't open the door on that, but you need to know what I'm talking about. I've had some drugs this morning, I'm in pain, so I'm not responsible for what comes out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: It just occurred to me, Tiff, that if you come from a one child family, whereas I'm from a four child family, I've got a twenty five percent less chance of someone walking in on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, statistically, that was That was the big fear of my teenageers.
Speaker 2: Your parents. Yeah, No, you.
Speaker 1: Don't want that, do you. That's the no. I don't even want to think about. Isn't it funny how everyone's creeped out by that thought. I don't even want to say the thought, but you.
Speaker 2: Know you can.
Speaker 1: You know, Mum and dad, you don't want to think about that, do you?
Speaker 2: No? No, Sorry to all the parents.
Speaker 1: Sorry, what did you just say before tiff distracted us?
Speaker 2: What? Raw dogging? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What is what is the the contemporary equivalent of raw dogging?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't look at the screen because I'm tear it up, tear it up so muchses. By the end of this, raw dogging is now a term.
Speaker 1: He stop saying raw dogging.
Speaker 4: I'm going to row dog into India.
Speaker 1: Ah God, next month. I'll tell you what I don't think. I don't think you want to raw dog in general. But no, it doesn't matter. Dirty on harps fucking get your filter and click. It's back on Patrick and go.
Speaker 2: I feel like I need to a polish.
Speaker 1: Can you edit out everything up until now? Please? Hi? Everyone, Welcome to the show. Patrick, great to see you.
Speaker 2: I don't think you should edit any of this out. Just make him suffer through it. No, okay. So raw dogging is a new term where someone gets onto a plane and they go into a state of almost trance like state and they do nothing. They don't eat, they don't drink, they don't read anything, they don't listen to anything, I don't watch anything. It's become this trendy thing. A guy what the name of a Damien Bailey who's a big insta person, reckons he achieved his personal best at thirteen and a half hour flight between Shanghai and Dallas without any inflight entertainment, films, books, or music. So it's generally blokes. Of course, it's going to be blokes who do this, and they're the alpha male types. So the three of us, it's going to.
Speaker 1: Be you, I reckon TIFF's more of an alpha male than both of us. But also like, there's all these monks that have been living in caves just living on fucking oxygen for thirty years who are like, ah, so.
Speaker 2: What they're not on a plane at a high altitude in potential DVT cross.
Speaker 1: So wow, So what is what's the what's the outcome or what's the intended outcome? Like just that they're going through this, like this momentary kind of scarcity of technology or food or water or stimulation or something.
Speaker 2: It's a challenge. I guess they're challenging themselves to be in the moment to focus on you know, that particular duration. And one guy did a fifteen hour flight to Melbourne. I mean that's crazy an Australian music producer by the name of Torron Foot. Yes, that is a name I.
Speaker 1: Have heard of this, I didn't think it was called raw dogging, but also hashtag don't pick the middle seat or there's going to be no fucking raw dogging. You're going to be constantly shuffling your knees side ways while Brian with the tiny bladder is stepping over the top of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, what was interesting though, is people have been posting responses to it, and one medical expert said, they're idiots. That was the great they're idiots. Well, because you know, it's not a good thing. Some people are going without food and water as well, and when, of course you're on a long haul flight, they say hydration is important. And if you're not hydrated and you don't move around, do you increase some really serious health risks?
Speaker 3: You know, Well, if you're getting dehydrated, your blood's getting thicker because you're sweating, and obviously blah blah blah. So I would think the well that I would think I could almost guarantee the risk of deep vein thrombosis as you alluded to, Patrick, or stroke or heart attack because the higher the level of viscosity of your blood, or in other words, the thicker it is and the less volume you have, the more.
Speaker 1: Risk you are. So I would think, at the very least, drink some waterer. Do everything else but drink some water.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that a business psychologist says, oh, it's probably a good thing. You know, people can be quietly reflecting. But it's the medical people I think I would be listening to, not the business psychologists.
Speaker 1: I also think, I don't mean, that's not poopoing your story because it's quirky and it's interesting, which is what we like. But how the fuck is this news? Like, how's somebody sitting on a plane not drinking?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: How is that with all the shit that's going on in the world. Well, guess what.
Speaker 2: These are famous TikTokers and famous people, all stars, and young people will copy them. That's the problem, because people copy them. It's like planking. Remember when planking was really big and people fell off buildings and stuff. It happens, So, yeah, influences people to do stupid things.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I know in Russia they have signs on train crossings telling people not to take selfies on the train tracks because people get run over by trains taking selfies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would think if you were that young, your ears would be better than that. You would think that you should hear that shit coming.
Speaker 2: You would. You would've probably got, you know, headphones on or something. All right, plow on, plow on. I saw a really interesting article in The Verge. It's a I listened to the I'll watch the Vergin. Read the Verge anyway, Ellison Johnson, I quite like it stuff. She was talking about a new feature on the Google Pixel nine phone. It's just about to come out. So there has been a feature. And this is why I sent you some photos this morning. You're probably wondering why. I say, oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I did see like nature photos which were quite pretty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I took them yesterday in the last twenty four hours. I just took a selection of photos whilst I was out walking. At one point I drove tobacco smash and I stopped outside a canola field and took some really gorgeous photos of the canola. We all not know those big fields of canola with the white glowy the yellow kind of glow to them when the sun's setting. But Google's Pixel phones and a lot of the new phones now have things called magic eraser tools. But the next level up from that is now you can place objects into the scene. So not only can you take people out of the scene, but one of the photos I've seen she was the Canola shot with a shadow of me, and then a photo of the same shot with the shadow removed, so you can it's an you know, I didn't like the shadow, but in some ways the shadow is not bad.
Speaker 1: That's the conceit. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I just used the magic eraser to get rid of the shadow. It took me maybe three or four seconds.
Speaker 1: That is amazing, isn't it. So if you've got like an old photo with a couple of mates, but one of them's a fuck with and you on him out, yep, you can get rid of the fuck with and just have you and your mates and go. This was us in two thousand and six at the races.
Speaker 2: But you're changing history and get rid of Jason Nay.
Speaker 1: History remains the same, it's just the record of it it changes.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is the concern is when we're introducing these tools, what does it mean about the art of photography. If I said to you if I, if I said tam and square, think of an image related to conflict and square.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what we all think of that young that poor young girl running in front of the tank, which was fucking one of the most tragic and it was a guy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's was it a boy? A guy? Yep, a student standing in front of the tank.
Speaker 1: Resistant No, no, no, no, there's another photo of a young naked child.
Speaker 2: Running and yes, that's the napalm girl. That's from Vietnam.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh that's Vietnam, is it?
Speaker 2: But again, there's two iconic visions. One is the student standing in front of the tank in front of Townerman square ones the naked girl running away from napalm as an explosion goes off in the background, you know, the American flag being lifted, you know, the soldiers holding the flag. So when we think of these snapshots of history and then we can so easily change them, what does it do to our perception of what the past is when you can change it so readily and make it look so real. And that's the concern now, that it's so easy using these AI tools to change what we would think of as a snapshot in time as reality and so people are concerned about this, and it was just interested about this article. It was, you know, because you can now take a standard streetscape and you could put a smoking wreck of a burnt out car there. You know, that's the concern that you could then post it as fake news. There was an article recently, I think it was during the American campaign that's on at the moment. It might have been related to Biden. I think that an American telco was fined a million dollars for running an ad where they had a depiction of Joe Biden and it was not actually him and it wasn't endorsing the product. So it's so easy to do that now.
Speaker 1: But this is everywhere now, I mean, this is every I mean, Joe Rogan has his voice because there's so much of his face and his image, his body is you know, video audio. He's been used like constantly by companies making ads where TIFFs just made something with Okay, that's funny, Tiff.
Speaker 2: She just did a photo of you and I on screen with the ponetograph I took yesterday.
Speaker 4: So I just pushed the profile picture from both of your facebooks onto the photo you were describing to the audience like you were there together having assentide.
Speaker 1: Can you send that to me right now? Which is not good for the audience for me, But yeah, I'm with you, Patrick, But this is the door that we've opened, right, I mean, now, how do you It doesn't change history, because history is history, but it changes what we think perhaps history was, you know, and I guess this is about you know, it's like when, if what was it? If you're go into chat GPT and you say, what happened on whatever the day Donald Trump got shot? We've spoken about this once, but what happened on this date in Pennsylvania or whatever it was? And it says there was an event, a former there was a shooting, a former president was injured, but no one else was hurt. But it doesn't say that, you know, a fire a fireman was killed, other people were injured, and Donald Trump got shot. It doesn't it Because for whatever reason, it's been programmed to be you know, pro certain things and anti other things. So getting absolute objective data whether or not we like that or don't like that or agree with that, this is becoming a slipperer and slipprier landscape because we don't know what is real because fiction is being presented as fact from a range of kind of directions. And yeah, it's hard. It's hard when you don't know the truth and then you look something up, like I'm constantly sent things by people like thirty times a day. The crab is usually ten of them, by the way, but people sending me research in inverted commas, and some of them like, fuck, that's amazing. Then I go and I look for the paper and the paper doesn't exist. That is not real research, you know, like it didn't this paper, this alleged paper, it's not real. It's a fraud. There's not actually. But you can make things look like science really easily now, and you can make things look like historical events. As you're alluding to, what do you think that what do you think that's going to look like in five or ten years? Do you think we're just not going to know what is real and what is not?
Speaker 2: It's a frightening thought. I think that's a really good question that we all should be asking at the moment. You know, how do we spot a fake? How do we spot a deep fake? How do we spot fake news? I don't know that there's an answer at the moment. Because technology is leap frogging legislation. You know, technology is out there. Google's putting out their new phone and it's using it's turned its magic erase button in to reimagine, so reimagine the scene so that you can place objects in there. So suddenly, you know, someone meditating is now going to bond next to them. You know, yeah, Hilario, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You could yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's seamless. You know what would have taken somebody who was a real adept at photoshop. Well that that photograph that I sent you of the canola field, there was grass on the side of the road. It was dried yellow grass. But if I was to have photoshopped that, I would have meticulously made sure the grass, the movement of the grass was matched in me that I was trying to remove the shadow from. But with that AI tool, it did it in seconds. Yes, he did in a lot of ways. But you know, and then again the other thing is I prefer the photo with my shadow in it because it shows a shadow of me holding a camera taking over the canola field. So the shadow says a lot about what time of day it was, where I was. I was by the side of the road taking a photo over a fence at a really beautiful scene. So I've lost something in that image by being the shadow of me, I've removed me from the image.
Speaker 1: Now. I watched an ap so the other night of Insight, do you watch that? I feel like you'd be interested in that. Anyway, they were talking about the education system and they had students and they had professors, and they had lecturers and they're just talking about the good and bad and they had like current undergrad students and postgrad students, like young people, and they set up people cheating using chat GPT and they all said yes. And one girl who wasn't identified as in they didn't show her face. You could just see her from the back. She's like, essentially, I'm doing my degree using chat GPT. We're talking about undergrad but still it's like it's it's I think that one of the things that's going to happen unless we figure out a solution or an antidote, is that the value of some tertiary qualifications is going to be severely downgraded, because you know, people are getting qualifications that they didn't earn, and that's you know, as the technology gets better, and it's harder and harder to figure out who wrote or didn't write what. You know. Yeah, it's a very slippery slope that we're on, and I don't know that. You know, there are pros and cons, but I reckon the cons are as you know, as significant and numerous as the as the pros.
Speaker 2: It is a challenge for educators and also I guess for employers if someone's presenting a region may with documentation to say that they've passed a degree or whatever, or if someone standing above a table with a scalpel in there, yeah.
Speaker 1: Think about that. Fuck that. Oh yeah, but there's a lot of yeah you would. Yeah, Like a few people have said, do I use chat Jo Patti, And I really can't. There's a few things where I could maybe go, here's my intro, could you rewrite it? But because of my research is original, it has to be, you know. But I think there are certain things. But I think also, you know, somebody who's writing an application for a job, you can write it and then throw it into chat GPT and I'll churn out a slightly more polished version. I think that's a great application, you know. And and the sad thing is that some jobs, like copywriting, they're probably to an extent, going to become redundant because it chat GPT can do as good or better writing than the average punter.
Speaker 2: What about using if you ever used grammarly?
Speaker 1: No, but I know, I know what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So what it does. It's not just a spell checker. It's more of a phraseology checker. So if you write a sentence, it will say, well, this is not the best grammar you know, why don't you rewrite it a certain way? And I mean in a lot of ways. Then does that then stop or cease being your original work, because making mistakes is part of the learning process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and no, I mean with something like grammar, where it's just making something be more grammatically correct or something perhaps flow a little better, But it's essentially your words and ideas. I think that's a valuable tool. But you know what, in twenty years, like who knows, who knows? If people like I doubt we're going to be writing on paper with pens in twenty years.
Speaker 2: I doubt that they, Hey, I will be I use a fountain pen.
Speaker 1: I hope, so, but I don't think the majority. In fact, I don't think we're going to be typing, because it's going to be it's all going to be audio. What do you call it? Where you just talk and it types as you go dictation like those No you know where you can talk into your phone and it just types. Is that? What's Isn't there a more fancy name than yeah whatever? That you know where? And that's becoming so good where you think, why the fuck would I be punching all these keys when I can talk and it types for me.
Speaker 2: I want thought to text, I don't even want to talk.
Speaker 1: Well, you just took up with Elon Musk. I think that's get yourself a neural link. We've spoken about that. All right, let's do one more Champion. Let's bring home this fucking train wreck of an episode with a little bit of gusto.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I was going to give some people we're talking.
Speaker 1: About, you know, whatever you want, whatever you want.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking of some positive things about AI and a feature that's built into Google Maps. Particularly in the States, people are getting worried that those Google street view photos are how criminals can case out your house to see we've got cameras, or to see whether you're living a nice suburb and they can look at your backyard and all that sort of stuff. But you can actually request now to have your house blurred in Google Maps. There is one caveat Once it's blurred, it's blurred for good. So what you do is you just basically go to your property. You've got to prove that it's yours. You don't, you know, I can't arbitrarily choose your place and suddenly blur it out. But basically go to Wogle Maps and you select the reporter problem. It's in the upper left corner of the screen, and then you've got to answer a whole lot of questions and submit the request, and then what it will do is it will blur the photo of your property. So if people are concerned about that, So that's another really cool because you've probably noticed in Google Maps too that all the number plates are blurred out. You know that's not done by you know, some pers sitting there using a magic eraser tool that's done by AI to do that, and also blurs out faces. You don't normally get close up shots of people's faces in that Google mapping software either.
Speaker 1: Well maybe the guy who lives I'm not even going to say where you live. But the guy who lives in rural Victoria and leaves his doors unlocked when he goes out, maybe he should rethink that. Yeah, maybe maybe I don't know. Are there many? Are there many crooks where you live? I wouldn't think they're too much tied love and hugs and muny beans, aren't they know?
Speaker 2: What happens is people. We've had some instances of a few break ins recently. To be honest, I probably shouldn't be telling people how to leave my door open all the time.
Speaker 1: No, no, we'll definitely die. We'll definitely start locking it.
Speaker 2: No, I lock it when I look. I do lock it if I'm going away for any length of time. But if I'm just going down the street to the post office in the door?
Speaker 6: Oh wow, Patrick, how do people what is your home address? By the way, And failing that, how can people follow you online or connect with you online?
Speaker 2: Did you go to websites? Noow, dot com dot au. You could kind of stalk me there. You can see what I look like and then decide that you might want to call me and have a chat. Wow wow, Well, actually, you know, it is one of the things I really love about what I do is working with smaller business people, you know, because what.
Speaker 1: About big business people like you know, people over six foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeahle raw dogging because that's what they do with their males like you.
Speaker 1: No, I told you Tif's more alpha male than me. But yeah, go on.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to say, do you find though, because I know you get a lot of joy and TIF You're the same with your PT stuff because it's one on one as opposed to doing a presentation to a room of fifty or one hundred people. There's something really not intimate but kind of uplifting about being able to work with someone one to one. So I think, yeah, anyway, but I know I enjoy that.
Speaker 1: I enjoy that. This is a terrible segue, but it's kind of in line with that. I just launched a new mentorship, which I've never done, for fifteen people ten weeks. And it's just like, because I do a lot of stuff with big audiences, and I'm quite excited about working with only fifteen people and you know, for me, is a small group and it's two and a half months, so it's an extended period of time, and I'm quite interested to see how that's going to go, you know, because it gives everyone an opportunity every session to talk and ask questions. You're not just one block of nine hundred blocks on a range of zoom screens.
Speaker 2: You know, so well, they need a five minute tai chi kind of you know, workout session.
Speaker 1: I reckon we should No, I really do think we should do something. We should do a are you project? Patrick collab.
Speaker 2: On zoom sounds good. Yeah, you can count me on that.
Speaker 1: Hm hm hmm. I wonder how that would have to be live. I guess we could do it live with whoever wants to do it live, record it. We probably should talk about this off the show a bit. Fuck it, let's have a staff meeting. Look at Tiff. What is Tiff looking at? What are you looking at? Down there?
Speaker 4: Got cat hair stuff under the bottom of itself.
Speaker 1: She spent ninety percent of the phone looking at I'm looking down What are you doing down there? That's got your attention?
Speaker 2: Oh god, oh wow, it's like the belly button fluff.
Speaker 1: It's a terrible way to end a podcast. Patrick, Just tell people your web address again.
Speaker 2: Place websites now, dot com, dot au because no one can spell genesis effects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, This will be our last episode of this everyone, so I hope you enjoyed them all. It's been great.
Speaker 2: Thanks team, Thanks to the two people who kept listening.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it's just descending, isn't it. It is what we do. It's devolving, it's evolving. It's the opposite of AI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the antithesis of what is happening.