Speaker 1: We'd like to acknowledge that traditional custodians of the land on which this podcast was produced, the Galliger people of the Orination. We pay our respects to Elder's past and present.
Speaker 2: It's twenty fifteen and we're in London with journalist Joanne Harvey. He's about to take to the stage and for the next twenty minutes he'll explain that everything you know about addiction is wrong.
Speaker 3: He should know.
Speaker 2: He's spent the last three years conducting research around the world trying to answer the core questions on addiction. This topic is one close to his heart. One of his earliest memories is trying to wake up a family member and not being able to. A room full of people watching his Ted Talk will hang on to his every word, and they aren't the only ones. This Ted Talk, along with another four years later, will go on to be viewed more than ninety million times. I'm at Middleton and this is head Game today, Joann Hari on making an impact by investigating life's biggest issues. Thank you ever so much for coming on my podcast, head Game. Fascinated with getting into an in depth conversation. You've just got a.
Speaker 3: Nose for knowing what you want.
Speaker 2: It's almost that you have an addiction for a certain subject, knowing what you want and then going after it tenfold and getting the best out of not only yourself, but out of other people and out of a situation.
Speaker 3: So talk to me about your upbringing.
Speaker 4: I cover from a fucking weird background. So my parents met here in London. They were both run away. It's my dad had run away from the Swiss mountains, who grew up in a tiny, little wooden hut on the side of a mountain, where like, from the age of five you'd be working with the pigs, you'd be working in the fields. And when he was seventeen, he's like, there's got to be more to life than this, and he heard there was something going on. It was the sixties in London, so ran away came here. And my mum was a run away. She grew up in a very poor working class family in Scotland, you know, where life for women was not that good. And with her best friend Mary, she ran away and they met in a nightclub just off Carnaby Street when my dad spoke literally ten words of English and my mum only spoke English, and they had what my mum calls a series of one night stands, which I've tried to explain is not a concept that makes sense if there's more than one of them, it's not a one night stand. You know, the family I grew up in, there was a lot of without going into too much detail, because it's their story, other people's story, not just mine, but it's a lot of addiction, a lot of madness. Really. I was mostly raised by my grandmother, my Scottish grandmother, and it was weird because they were you know that everyone in my family left school when they were Like my grand left when she was thirteen, most of them they were fifteen. And it's really weird. If you watch our home videos. Even when I'm a little kid, I have this weird posh voice. I'm like Stewy from Family Guy, right, So like my mom was like, why Cheah fat Sam, And I'm like, really, mother, I find this most It's just bizarre. And I don't know what edgeway. Where I grew up, no one, no one had this weird posh voice that I have. I must have got it off the TV because I can't think no one spoke like that. So it was this weird even when I was very young, I had this slight kind of I had a great love for the place I was from and the people I grew up with. I also had this weird kind of doubleness about it.
Speaker 3: Do you yeah, I can see that in you. Where did you think that? Because it certainly didn't come from your mum? And where do you think it that came from?
Speaker 4: I genuinely don't know. It's a really strange thing. I don't know it was. I think because they were not from the place we were from, right, and they felt very alienated from the place My dad couldn't. My dad's English was, you know, imperfect, Like, yeah, I could sort of navigate that world better than they could in a way, right, So I was sort of translating for them, and my mum was from a very you know, working class Scottish background.
Speaker 2: Between the two, sort of merging the two together, translating.
Speaker 4: For them, but also figuring out how this place worked. Right. So I didn't have this, Yeah, they didn't, and in a way, as a kid, I understood it better than they did.
Speaker 2: And you're trying to figure it out for them as well. Yeah, what's figuring out your journey?
Speaker 4: And I think one of the reasons I think, really, the only talent I have that's not being forced to abduplicating it is a real talent, but it's the only one I've got is communication. Right, I'm good at communication. I think it's partly because of that early experience of oh, right, they don't know how this works, right, I've got to figure out how this works. And also that thing if you grew up in chaotic environments. Lots of people who grew up in chaotic or violin or environments where his addiction or mental health problems or whatever. This is really amazing statistic. I can't make the exact figure, people can look it up, but something like sixty percent of the presidents and prime ministers US presidents and British prime ministers of the twentieth century grew up in a family where one of their parents either died, became disabled, or became bankrupt when they were a kid. And there's a big debate about why that might be. Right, it's an incredibly high figure compared to the general population, right, and I think an extreme incredible You just do the prime ministers backwards, you can do it right and the presidents, and I think that must be something about if you grew up in a chaotic environment, you've got to be the grown up. You've got to be the adult very quickly, right, And it's a thing about you want to make it all okay, you know, you want to solve the problem.
Speaker 3: Or make sense of it.
Speaker 2: I suppose as well, wasn't it You know, try and try and try and make sense of it so it's not as chaotic. And I suppose it just takes a different way of thinking, different way of problem solving, different way of tackling a situation that your parents or the people around you don't use, but you sort of adapt as you go along.
Speaker 4: Well, you've got to be the problem solver from a very young age and that becomes your skill set. Not clearly, not everyone. Some people it just breaks them and fucks them up. But a lot of people, I think it means that you become the person who then thinking about okay, from a very young age, you're like, Okay, no one's going to come and solve this for me. I've got to solve this situation. And I think that that becomes a habit you can take over to other things. Right, Okay, there's this other chaotic thing going on in the world. I'm not gonna wait for someone else to solve it. What's going on here, Let's figure out what's going on. Let's figure out how we can sort it out. So I think that was very deep in me that, you know. I think the Persian poet Roomy said the wound is where the light enters you. It's something I think about all the time, right. I'm sure it was somewhere and Leonard Cohen's heart when he wrote this famous line about there's a crack in everything. It's how the light gets in. Right. I think it's the thing about if you have very a very extreme childhood, or extreme experiences in general, you can see that as a curse and it can just fuck you, right, And of course that does have to many people, it does have terrible effects on them. Or you can say, Okay, this is not good. It's not good. This happened. I wish it hadn't. But given that, what strength can I take from this? What have I learned from this experience that can be used to help other people or to go forward? So I think it's always you know, we talk a lot about post traumatic stress, right, which is a real of course, a real thing, But there's also a lot of scientific evidence for something called post traumatic growth. Right some people go through like for example, you can look at survivors of plane crashes. For example, right now, no one is ever glad they've been in a plane crash, just to be clear, But some people go, oh, I was in a plane crash. It fucked me up. It was the worst thing that ever happened. I've been traumatized ever since. But a lot of people who've been in playing crashes, so you know, it was a terrible thing that I was in that plane crash. But after I survived, I quit that job I hated, and I left the husband who was treating me like shit, and actually it was the best thing that ever happened to me.
Speaker 2: Going back to your childhood, it was addiction that really sort of highlighted one of your first memories when you tried to wake up a family member from I don't know if it's an overdose. Can you just take me back to that moment, because you know, it's it's fascinating how you've you talk about this but you've actually been through it yourself, don't.
Speaker 4: I don't remember the exact age I was. I've tried to figure it out with my sister, but I am so one of my relatives was using a lot of most prescription drugs and was just out of it a lot of the time. So I have these kind of formative memories of trying to wake up this relative and just not being able to because they were just out.
Speaker 3: Just on the bed or on the couch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and both. And one of the reasons I spent so much time researching addiction for a book I wrote called Chasing the Screen was because these addiction problems continued in my family, actually more than my member of my family. And also, I think, like with a lot of people who grew up with addiction, it was a thing that was very if that feels like home to you, I ended up being in a relationship with someone who had a very bad crack and hero in addiction. It's like, weird, we're shortage. And this was where I lived at the time, and it's a place I really associate with that relationship. So I could tell you the map of all the dealers he went to, and there's a in a mile radius of here, but the and and I think that one of the reasons I wrote the book is every book I ever write. For me, it's because there's got got to be I'm not an expert on anything, right, I'm a journalist. For me, it's got to be that there's a mystery that I don't understand and I want to understand, right, so I then go on this kind of journey all over the world.
Speaker 2: You said, would you say you get addicted to a topic? Were we talk about? Because there's multiple forms of addiction, right, and we talk about the obvious ones, which are alcohol, drugs, from drugs, But you know, for you and having read you know your backstory and meeting you, I think addiction sort of runs in the family. Is it Is it something that that has passed down from generation to generation or do you just have an acute sort of curiosity you need to know everything about that topic?
Speaker 3: Is that an addiction?
Speaker 4: You know? It's interesting sad because that actually the research I did for Chasing the Screen completely changed how I understood what addiction is. I wanted to figure this out because I could see nothing I was doing was helping right with these people that I loved, I couldn't solve the problem. And I also had that if I'm honest, I was quite angry with them, right, And everyone has ever loved someone who'st an addiction problem has got a bit of voice in the head that's like, why don't just fucking stop right fuck saying put yourself together? Right?
Speaker 3: Natural?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the natural sort of thought process to have. You're ruining yourself, you're running the people around you. You know, your your waste of space.
Speaker 4: You know, I could see that. I think almost everyone has two natural impulses. They have that voice, yeah yeah, and they have the voice like I can see you're really suffering and in pain, and that this is not just you know, you're not just partying hard and indulging yourself. There's something really deep going on here that you need help for. So I think almost everyone has those two things, right. But I wanted to understand what was really going on here. So I ended up, I mean, it ended up being this kind of insane journey all over the world, like thirty thousand miles, ended up meeting a crazy mixture of people, from a you know, getting to know rot so right aback in the book, from a transcrack dealer in Brooklyn is one of the smartest people I know, to a hit man for the deadlist Mexican drug cartel, who actually is not one of the smartest people I know, to the only country that's decriminalized all drugs with incredible effects we can talk about. But that actually in relation to your Christian it was just tranges think because I realized, I mean, I learned so much writing Chasing the Screen, but one of the things I learned is that actually I had profoundly misunderstood what I had seen in front of me for so long. So let's talk about let's say heroin addiction for example, right, because that's something it was close to me. So if you'd asked me thirteen years ago, when I started doing the research on this, Johan, what causes heroin addiction? I would have looked at you like you were muppet and I would have said, well, mate, the clues in the name man right, obviously exactly. We've been told this story for one hundred years. That's become totally part of our common sense about addiction. Right when I was in this story about the earliest story about addiction that we've all been told, which has some truth in it. Right, So we think we're sitting here in Shoreditch if we kidnapped the next twenty people to walk past this recording studio and.
Speaker 3: Can make that happen.
Speaker 4: You are one of the few people I don't. We could actually do it right, and we held the more hostage and it's weird fucking little room, you know, like a villain in a Saw movie. And we injected them all with heroin three times a day for a month. At the end of that month, they'd all be heroin addicts. For a simple reason. There's chemical hooks in heroin, and if you're exposed to them for long enough, your body would start to desperately crave these chemical hooks. Right. That's why in English another word for being addicted is being hooked. Right. It turns out that is a very small part of what's going on in addiction. Right. It's some role, but it's very small. And the first thing that alured to me to the fact there's something missing in that story is when it was explained to me by lots of doctors. If you or me, if we stepped out of this studio now and we got hit by a truck and you broke your hip or I broke my hip, we'd be taken to the Royal London Hospital of the Road, and they give us a lot of a drug called diamorphine. Diamorphine it's much better than the ship my ex exactly. It's medically pure heroine. It's the best heroine you can get. Right, If anyone listening, if you've got a grandmother who's ever had a hip replacement operation, your NaNs take lots of heroin right now. If what we think about addiction is right, that is caused primarily or entirely by exposure to the chemical hooks, what should be happening to all these grandmothers having hit replacement operation. They should be leaving and trying to score on the streets. Right, This has been studied very carefully. It never happens with hit replacements, right, never. Right. And you hear that, you think what I remember when I first learned this from a brilliant doctor call Gable Marte, just saying, well, gabble, that can't be right. How could you have a situation where you've got someone in hospital bed they're be giving loads of medically pure, strong heroine. They don't become addicted. Yeah, the best grade of it really, if you put it in Layman's terms, exactly, the best shit, and you've got someone in the alleyway outside, you know, shooting up actually a weaker form of the drug, and they do become adicted. What's going on? And I only began to understand it when I went to Vancouver and an interview an incredible man named Professor Bruce Alexander, who did an experiment that has really transformed how we understand addiction all over the world. See explained to me this story we've got in our heads that addiction is caused primarily or entirely by the chemical hook comes from a series of experiments that were done earlier in the twentieth century. You take a rap, you put it in a cage, and you give it two water bottles. One is just water, the other is water laced with either heroin or cocaine. If you do that, the rat will try both. Almost always prefers the drug water, and it almost always kills itself by overdosing pretty quickly. Right, So there you go. That's our story. The rat tries the drug, it needs more and more of.
Speaker 3: The chemists all it has to do, that is right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's our story. But in the seventies, Bruce, Professor Alexander was working with people addiction problems in Vancouver. He's he looks at these experiments and he said, what happened a minute? You put the rat alone in an empty cage. It's got nothing that makes life worth living. For rats, all it's got is the drugs. What would happen if we did this differently? So he built a cage called rat Park, which is basically like fucking heaven for rats. Right, They've got loads of friends, they got loads of cheese, they got loads of colored balls. Anything a rat likes is there in rap Park. It's got its needs met, right, psychological needs. And then it gives them both the water bottles, the normal water and the drug water, and of course they try both. This is the fascinating things have fun well in rap Park. They don't like the drug water that much. Right, they don't use it compulsively. None of them music compulsively. None of them die by overdose, because they've got The way I would think about it is everyone knows you've got physical needs. You need food, you need water, you need shelter, you need clean air. If I took those things away from you, you'd be fucked. But it's equally strong evidence that all human beings have natural psychological needs. You need to feel you belong. You need to feel your life has meaning and purpose. You need to got people see you and value you. You need to for your love, you feel, got a future, you understand right, And this culture we've built is good at many things. I'm glad to be alive today, but we have been getting less and less good at meeting these deep underlying psychological needs. So the reason I wouldn't put it as because you asked it totally understandably, and it's the way I used to think about it is oh can these can you override the chemical thing? I would put it differently, The core of addiction is about not wanting to be present in your life because your life is too big a place to be exactly right. And when you understand that, you begin to see. Firstly, for me, the first thing you see is how what we do it's a value.
Speaker 2: You start to value yourself, start to value things around you, and you know your product. And again that excuse a cliche, I'm sure you hate it.
Speaker 3: But your product is your environment exactly.
Speaker 4: It's not you, it's your cage. Right now, there's other factors going on as well. It's not the only rap park doesn't explain everything about drug use, obviously there's lots of other things going on, but it explains a really big missing part of the picture, and it can lead you to quite pangful and difficult realizations. I mean, the most important thing though, and the really powerful realization, is what it made me realize. I never forget when I interviewed Bruce the first time, and I went and sat in a We were in this area called the downtown Eings side of Vancouver, which has a lot of chaotic street addiction, and I went and sat in a pigeon park, which is a park with loos of pigeons in it and where people are. You know, it's pretty free for all chaotic drug scene. And I remember thinking, I right, so the opposite of addiction is not sobriety. The opposite of addiction is connection. That's what you're saying, right. I'm never get that moment because now like people put that on t shirts and things since I wrote about it and totalk on it. But but the core of it is, and it's why when when you asked, is this an addiction for me? I don't think of it as it may have elements of addiction because I do overwork, But for me, this is not a way of not being present in my life. It's actually a way of being more present in my life. So it's a it's a healthy obsession rather than an addiction, is how I would think of it, right, if it would be an addiction, if it was actually I was avoiding being present by doing this stuff right and super present of what you do. So, yeah, there are moments like that. I massively over work. I tend to get burned out because I'm very bad at taking breaks or pacing myself. So I wouldn't want to totally rule out the kind of implicit thought in your question. But yeah, but when you understand addiction in this different way, you understand firstly why that natural angry, why are you fucking doing this? Doesn't get us very far? Right? But also for me that the most important thing about it is you realize how what we do as a society, why it has so catastrophically failed when it comes to addiction. The US at the moment, for example, has the biggest addiction crisis in its entire history, right, horrendous, And obviously I live after the U in the US, because what we do is we think about addiction totally differently. The theory of the War on drugs, right is, people who addicted need to have pain inflicted on them to give them an incentive to stop. Right, So we make them suffer, give them criminal records, we imprison and then but then you realize it. Then we pigeonhole them exactly and fuck them over. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And then you realize. But once you understand that pain is the fuel, is the driver, is the cause of addiction, suddenly realize. Sometimes we go, oh, it doesn't work. It's not you know, that model doesn't work. The answer is much worse. It makes the problem worse, right, and never forget. I had a moment about this. I went to lots of places for the for the book, obviously, for you know, the killing fields in northern Mexico and all sorts of places. But I think the place that most haunts me was there's this place called Tense City in Phoenix in Arizona, Maricopa County in Arizona. So it's right. It was at the time run by a guy called Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who we got a whole conversation about childhood trauma and Joe ol Pio. But that is a fucked up guy who was really at war with people with addiction problems, and he opened this prison where bran in mind, this is the desert is Arizona. People were made to sleep in tents in the desert and they were deliberately maximally humiliated. He you might have heard this because Mike Tyson was sent there. I've talked to Mike about it. They make the people with the diction problems go out on chain gangs wearing t shirts saying I was a drug addict on members of the public mock them. So I went out one day with this group of women. You only have to speak to this women for five minutes. Their lives have been fucking horrendous, right, They'd all been fucking abused in one way or another. And so we go out and they were made to literally on a chain gang and they're made to collect little while members of public mock them. Right, and what was that?
Speaker 2: In order to hopefully make them realize the errors of their ways through that type of treatment.
Speaker 3: So they go, oh, oh that's me cured. I'm good.
Speaker 2: I won't do that again. Exactly, old Tom. What you're doing is you're getting slashamer. You're just driving them further into the ground, right.
Speaker 4: I think you put it perfectly. So they had a block, an isolation block this prison, in which people were put in for the tiniest infringements like having a cigarette. And I went and saw, I said to them, and it was a weird thing most prisons. Obviously visits a lot of prisons as a journalist. Most prisons don't want to show you they're bad stuff. They try to steer away from it. But this prison, because the whole point of it is to humiliate people. It's like a pantomime of fucking sadism, they actually want to show to you. So I said, oh, we show me the isolation block. Thinking they go, no, no, that's you know, like most prisons with that, I shall come along. Yeah, yeah, So go along. And the first thing happens. So the women are in tiny, little, bare stone cells in the middle of the desert. It's unbelievably hot. They're completely on their own. They've got nothing in this cell. Literally, you're in a stone It's about the size of this room we're in. We're in a tiny little podcast studio, right, And so they open the little flat and a woman starts immediately screaming at me, showing me that she's been cutting herself, just screaming and screaming. It's one of the worst things I've seen, right, And I looked at this woman and I thought, this is the closest you could get to a literal human replica of the cages that guaranteed addiction in rats. And this is what you're doing to this poor fucking woman thinking it will stop her being addicted. Now, Okay, that's very extreme, right, Okay, that's that's the hardest edge, the tip of the spear. But actually, most eighty percent of the money we spend in some countries, actually it's more, but eighty percent of the money we spend on drug policy is enforcement, punishing people, shaming people, fucking them up more right. The other twenty percent, by the way, about ten percent is treatment, and ten percent is the ridiculous, fucking fantasy we can keep drugs out of the country. You know, if you want to think about how well that's going to work. We can't even keep drugs out of our prisons, where we pay people to walk around the fucking wall. The whole time, so good, like we're keeping them out of the United States with two three thousand mile borders or Britain, which is an island, ridiculous, insane fantasy.
Speaker 2: And this is like the human rat cage that you talk about, right, This is the human form of the rack age where all they have to do is shoot up and drug. So the addiction gets worse and worse and worse because because of their environment and where they're around, they've got no no one, if anything, people are belittling them, punishing them, fucking limiting them, telling them that they're fucking no good that then you know they're waste of space that they belong down there. You're almost amplifying that problem tenfold, right exactly.
Speaker 4: And the reason that is so fucking enraging it's because somebody will hear that and gut, isn't it sad? Isn't it bad? Yeah? I get it. But the thing that is so fucking enraging about that is I went to places where they tried completely different approaches that actually do reduce addiction, and where all these people I knew in that tunnel, or the vast majority of them, would have lived and had decent lives and not fucking died. Right. Give an example of Portugal. So the year two thousand, Portugal had one of the worst drug problems in the whole world. One percent of the population was addicted to heroin, which is kind of mind blowing right when you think about it. Every year they tried the American way more, they arrested more people, they imprison more people, they shame more people, and every year the problem got worse, until finally the Prime Minister and the leader of the opposition got together and they were like, look, we can't go on like this with ever more people dying and getting addicted. What are we going to do? So they decided to do something really radical, something no one had done in nearly one hundred years since the War on drugs globally began. They were like, should we like ask some scientists what to do? So they set up a panel of scientists and doctors led by an amazing.
Speaker 3: Manner common sense exactly.
Speaker 4: This amazing guy became friends with called doctor Juaugulau, and they said to them, you guys go away figure out what would genuinely solve this fucking massive crisis. And we've agreed in advance we'll do whatever you recommend, right, So the goal was to just take it out of politics. So the panel went away, they looked at all the evidence, including rat Park, and they came back and they said, okay, here's what we're going to do. We're going to decriminalize all drugs, from cannabis to crack, the whole fucking lot. But the probably didn't say fucking can not as me, But we're going to decriminals the whole lot. But and this is the crucial next step, we're going to take all the money we currently spend on screwing people up, on shaming them, imprisoning them, and we're going to spend all that money instead on turning their lives around. And what's interesting was when they did it, a lot of it was not what we think of as drug treatment in Britain, right, So it was they did a lot of a rehab, right, they did do that. But the main stuff they spent money on was housing, because you're not going to fucking sober up when you're living in a tunnel under a.
Speaker 3: Bridge ground here.
Speaker 4: And the biggest thing was the big programmer job creation. So say you used to be a mechanic, you've got a smack addiction. They'll go to a garage. They'll say, if you employed this guy for a year, we'll pay half his wages. So it was a huge program of reconnection, getting people reconnected because you're a junkie, you've got a criminal record, you're you're not getting a job, you're not getting trusted, you are you looked at as the scum of society. And instead of that, they wanted to take all that message you and go, actually, we love you, we value you, here's a job, we're on your side, we want you back. Right. And by the time I went to Portugal it was and when was this They started the decriminalization in two thousand and one, and when I went there it was for the first time. It was twenty twelve. I must have gone there maybe twenty eleven, think twenty twelve. And the results were in best research on it is in the British journal Criminology. They had a massive fall in addiction. They went from having the highest level of overdoses in the European Union to almost the lowest. They had a massive fall in street crime, massive fall in street prostitution, massive full in HIV transmission, and one of the ways you know it worked is that no one in Portugal wants to go back. I went and interviewed one of the leading opponents of the drug decriminalization at the time, a guy called schul Figuera. He was the top drug cop in the country when they did it, and he said, totally understandably, he said, this is fucking madness, right, we can't decriminalize all drugs. We'll have an explosion drug use, will have an explosion in kids using drugs, We'll hav an explosion in drug tourism. This is a nightmare. And when I met raw he said to me, everything I said would happen didn't happen, and everything the other side said would happen did And he said he felt really ashamed now when you look back on it, that he'd spent twenty years making people's lives worse when they could have been helping people turn it around. Now, drug decorverisation hasn't worked everywhere. Public hasn't been done on the Portuguese model. The Portuguese model was stop punishing people. That's the first step. It's the equivalent of stopping kicking them in the head. But then crucially, take all the money we spent screwing them up and spend it.
Speaker 3: Helping them right, get them out of their box exactly.
Speaker 4: So the core of it actually is the social change, right, the reconnection, the getting people back to a.
Speaker 3: Decent life, my changing that stigma exactly.
Speaker 4: And also people, especially when you undo the stigma, people are more likely to come forward for help. Right. It's interesting if you in Portugal's one thing was fascinating me going out with some of the social workers. If you go out with the authorities, people with addiction problems fucking run away from you. Right in Portugal, they run towards you. It changes the whole dynamic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, So again talking on either said, is that drastic change of flipping on its head.
Speaker 4: And this is true for loads of the topics that I write about. Where you know, my book's Chasing the Scream is about addiction obviously in the war on drugs. Actually, there are even worse things about the War on drugs, like the violence it causes, which we can talk about as well. It's why I spend a lot of time with dealers and cartels. But you know, my second book, Lost Connections, was about why so many people are depressed and anxious My third book, Stolen Focus, was about why some people are struggling to pay attention. My most recent but Magic Pill, is about these new weight loss drugs, what they're going to mean for all of us. Yeah, but with all of them, I think there's a thing about reframing what the problem is really about. If you're stuck in a mindset where you just think, I'm a fuck up, there's something wrong with and there's definitely individual responsibility, and I'm in favor of individual responsibility passionately. But if you're stuck in a model where you just think, oh, I'm a fuck up, and it's like if you're the rat in the isolated cage, but you're not thinking about the environment. So many our problems are a combination of you know, our individual psyches, our biology, and our environments. Right, And if we're stuck in just thinking as an isolated individual, it's usually pretty fucking hard. It's not impossible. Some people can do it. You get heroic individuals who can do it, and all credit to them, right, I've got nothing but praise for them. But actually, at the moment, we've got systems. For example, with addiction, I would argue with depression and attention as well and with wait, actually, where the system is rigged against you. Right, It's like you're having to run up and down escalator to get to be healthy. Right. Some people can do it something run up and down escalator. I fucking can't. Yeah, there's a few. But what I would do is, let's get the escalator carrying you in the right direction. Let's make it easy for you to make the positive changes in your life, not to make it hard.
Speaker 2: Right, because a lot of people want to do that, right, A lot of people do that. They realize the areas of their ways, they get so down and but there's there's just not the support, support element of being able to for someone offering their hand.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, no, it's too late.
Speaker 2: Now you're you're a druggie, you're you're you're you're an addict, you're a criminal. You know, you're tarnished with so many black brushes that because ultimately, let's be honest, they've made a mistake, they've sucked up in life.
Speaker 3: We all do it.
Speaker 2: We failed in life up to now. So you meet, all of us in this room have and we're going to fail to the day we die. We're going to make mistakes, right, But it's just that stigma of addiction, of being a crackhead, of being a junkie, of being a fucking criminal. It's like that, you know, it's that's that's almost like not the impossible task, but it sounds like it is.
Speaker 4: I think it's partly. I think you put it brilliantly, and I think it's partly about undoing stigma, but it's also about knowing where your power lies. Right. So we talk a lot when we're trying to help people, and this is not just true addictions, true people who've got all sorts of problems. We talk absolutely rightly about what you can do as an isolated individual to change your life. You can change your mindset also, and I'm passionately favorite that. A lot of my book about Attention is about how we can get our attention back through doing these individual things as well. But I also would want to add a prong to it, which doesn't take away anything from the individual responsiblity back. Then it adds to it, which is there's another source of your power, which is you can change yourself better when you change with other people, and you change with the cage.
Speaker 2: When I sat down with you I thought you had an, let's call it a healthy obsession with the topic addiction. But it seems like that you've got an obsession with helping people. Everything that I try and put back on you, you put back on other people. And I'm just like, Wow, you have got a nate just obsessional passion to want to help people.
Speaker 3: Where did that come from?
Speaker 4: I mean everyone listening has people who helped them. Because you didn't raise yourself as a baby, right you didn't. So if I think about my grandmother who helped you? Think about my grandmother for example. So my grandmother, my Scottish grandmother, was who brought me up, basically me and my sister, and some agree my brother who's a bit older. Yeah, my grandmother was an amazing person. My grandmother left school when she was thirteen. She went to work in a laundry. Her husband died when he was very young. She she had a very so she raised her kids on her own. She had job was to clean toilets. She did every job she could do. I think about my grandmother, she was just an amazing person, incredibly loving person, and you know, she'd had this fucking hard life. And then when I'm a kid, you know, she must have had a million she wanted to relax, right, and then she suddenly got these this kind of looking after these kids, I think. I think my grandmother was a great example. I had so many teachers who were really good to me, had just so many people in my life have been really really good to me. Have been mean to me as well, obviously, But the but.
Speaker 2: Is that compassion to want to help others, which are is evident for me, that sits at the forefront of everything, that almost that is at the forefront, and everything trickles down your topics of addiction, your topics of wanting to really you know, your journalism, and that sort of filters down where a lot of people put journalism at the top. You're maybe interested for me, I see your compassion to want to help people, because ultimately that's where your journalism fits in. You're not going out of I can trying to bring down criminals. You're trying to say, why are these people like this? Why do people get addicted? What can we do to better? You know, the human side of it is so fucking present and obvious, but it must have something must have happened.
Speaker 3: I think I think we all have that compassion comes from I.
Speaker 4: Think everyone is. We all exist, and we all see saw around a spectrum between concern for other people and narcissistic concern for the self. Right, And of course you should be concerned for yourself to some degree as well. That's important. It's not we don't want people to be totally self sacrificing. And the truth is, so we live in this culture which is constantly pushing people to be self obsessed. Think about yourself, to be narcissistic. Think about how you feel after half an hour looking at Instagram, right like the So we live in this culture that is constantly pushing us towards the ego and self obsession. And I'm probably more vulnerable than that to that than most people. And the truth is that will make you feel like shit, whereas moments of openness and love towards other people will make you feel better. So in some sense, there's a kind of selfish impulse behind my desire to be compassionate because I think about this a lot in relation to this guy I interviewed a lot, amazing man. You should have a your podcast called Professor Tim Kassa. So when I think about his work, is everyone knows junk food has taken over our diets and made us physically sick, right, but actually a kind of junk values have taken over our minds and made us mentally sick. Right, And Professor Kassa was the first person to really research this. So for thousands of years, philosophers have said, you know, if you think life is about money and status and showing off, you're going to feel like shit. Right. It's not an exact quote from Confucius, but it's basically what he said, right. But weirdly, no one actually scientifically investigated it until Professor Cassio did all this amazing psychological research over forty years, and basically he proved, to give you the headline, the philosophers were right, the more you think life is about money and status and showing off and ego, the worse you will feel. Right, And the way we began to think of it, it's almost like, just like junk food has taken over our diets, are kind of junk values have taken over our minds, right, rained to look for happiness in all the wrong places. It's like we're fed a kind of KFC for the salt. Right, Yeah, we're you know if you think about there's a really a bit interesting bit of research. It was done by lots of scientists, but one of them was Dr Brett Ford, who I interviewed about it. Really simple research. They looked at four countries. It was the United States, Japan, Taiwan and Russia. And they want to figure out, let's imagine you deliberately wanted to make yourself happier. Right, so you said, right from now and I'm going to spend two hours a day deliberately making myself happier. Would you actually become happier? Right? I wrote about some my book Los Connections, and what they found at first seems really weird. In the United States, if you try to make yourself happier in the main you do not become happier. But in Russia, Taiwan and Japan, if you try to make yourself happier, it works. You do become and they're like, what's weird, what's going on? So it did more research on it. I discovered was in the US. I'm sure it's true of ours in Britain and Australia as well. If you try to make yourself hap you do something for you, You work harder to get a promotion. You buy a load of shit. You don't need to display it on Instagram to make people go OMG so jealous. You do you right, you treat yourself. So we have that. The fancy weight putting it would be we have an individualistic conception of happiness. You think your happiness stems from your ego and you doing well, you as an isolated individual. In the other places, when you try to make yourself happier, you did something for someone else, your friends, your family, your community. Right, So they have an instinctively kind of collective idea of happiness, right, that happiness comes from being part of a group, from being part of a group that rises with you or falls with you. Right, And we've moved way too far. I'm in favor of some level of individualism. Individuals is a good thing to some degree. I don't want to go back to them. But the village of my dad lived in where there was no room for individual expression. But we've gone so far towards that, and it trains us to look for happiness in all the wrong places. You are not to fix right totally, or even a slow fix in the wrong direction, Like you're not gonna lie on your deathbed and think about all the likes you've got on Instagram and all the shoes you bought. Right, you're going to think about moments of love and meaning and connection in your life. But the way Professor Kassa put it to me is we live in a machine that is designed to get us to neglect what is important about life. Right, We live in a machine that is constantly pushing us towards Yeah, these these individualistic, narcissistic forms of.
Speaker 3: Expression almost like synthetic highs, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's like you're getting these synthetic highs because they're boosting you in the moment, you feel good about yourself.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, like I said, strip all that away. It's just been thought.
Speaker 2: But I think society has a huge part to play on that because you know, these big companies, and we can we can get into the politics of you know, big fire, big companies, et cetera, et cetera, but they're ultimately what's feeding these these addictions in order to keep us in that state.
Speaker 4: Of mind totally. So there's a lot for all of the things we're talking about, whether it's addiction, where it's attention problems, all the stuff I wrote my books spout. There's sort of two levels of which I think we've got to defend. We've got to respond to this, right. I think of them as defense and offense. There are loads of things we can do at an individual level to defend ourselves, right, but also we've got to go on offense against the forces that are doing this to us. Right. You mentioned some of the companies big tech. We've got to regulate those fuckers. Right. There's all sorts of things that we can do, Like think about the fact that more three year old children know what the McDonald's m means than know their own last name. Right now, you don't put that in your head when you were three years old. I didn't put that in my head. That's a machine doing that to us. Well, some countries have banned advertising junk food to children.
Speaker 3: It's fucking bad brands washing.
Speaker 4: Basically, don't fucking poison your kids' brains to then want to poison their bodies. Right, there's all sorts of things we can do that regulate the environment. Now, you can't do that on your own. There's lots of things you can do individually on your own, and we should do both and the individual stuff makes you stronger to fight for the collective stuff, and the collective stuff makes you more likely succeeded in the individual stuff. So it's actually very happy kind of.
Speaker 3: How do you do it because you can't?
Speaker 2: Because you can't do it, especially now when we thought we had this free voice of social media platforms are now and we talk about big tech that's so controlled nowadays. If you actually speak out the trivia, you're you're restricted, or your your shadow band or your ghost band, whatever it may be. So but it's like we're fighting an almost impossible task. Because you mentioned big tech, big fun they rule the world.
Speaker 4: I understand why it feels that way, but I would just tell you two stories. I think that answer that. So whenever I feel hopeless, and there are days when I feel.
Speaker 3: That way're the same.
Speaker 4: That's natural. I think a lot about a really close friend of mine called Andrew Sullivan. He's a British American writer. So nineteen ninety four, Andrew was diagnosed as HIV positive. It's the height of the age crisis. It's best friend Patrick had just died. As far as anyone knew, there was no hope in sight. He's like fuck' whatever. He was in his thirties. I've got a couple of years to live. Fuck. And he decided I need to do a completely crazy thing. He quit his job and he went to a little place called Provincetown and he decided he was going to write a book about a crazy utopian idea that no one had ever written a book about before. Right, And he was like, Okay, no one alive today is ever going to see this put into practice. I'm clearly not going to live to see it put into practice. Maybe somewhere down the line someone's going to find this fucking crazy book. Right. The idea he wrote the first of a book advocating for was gay marriage. Right. She got a picture craze. It was, You've got two thousand years of gay people being fucking burned, imprisoned, hated, every religious text in the world, every country in the world. And he's like, no, let gave you all get married, right, And this is the height of gay people being hated. There's this paranoia about AIDS and fear about AIDS, and so he writes this book. And when I get pessimisty, I'll try to imagine, right, Okay, tried to imagine going back in time to nineteen ninety four when Andrew's writing virtually normal and going, Okay, Andrew, you're not going to believe me. But twenty six years for now, A you'll be alive. That would have fucking blow in his mind. B you'll be married to a man because that will be legal. See, I'll be with you when the Supreme Court of the United States quotes this book you're writing, when it makes it mandatory for every state in the United States to introduce gay marriage, and the next day you'll be invited to have dinner with the President in a white house lit up in the colors of the rainbow flag to celebrate what you and millions of other people have achieved. Oh and by the way, that president he's going to be black. Right, it would have sounded like there was fucking crazy science fiction, right me go right, So twenty six years from now and you and me are trans Prime Minister's gonna invite us to smoke cracking downing Street where there? Right, it would have sounded not that we want that, but you see what I mean? Right, two thousand years fucking horrific homophobia. It falls in us A generation or two is hope and so and you think about that in relation to tech, I give you know a story, right, tech is so powerful, and of course it's enormously powerful. But I'll give you example of someone I would never normally praise. Let's do the spirit of Philippo in and I'll praise someone that I fucking hate ninety percent of the time. Scott Morrison. Right. So Scott Morrison did something really good. So, as a lot of people will know, the media is being bankrupted by these social media platforms because you know, twenty five years ago you were put an advert in the Sydney Morning Herald and now you put an advert on Facebook. So people get their news from Facebook, but the advertising money goes to Facebook, not to the Sydney Morning Herald. Right. So they're losing their print readers and they're losing all their advertising revenue and this is happening all over the world and it's very bad for democracy if you don't have media. Right. So Scott Morrison, not manadament, only praise entirely to his credit, said to Facebook, you're going to have to give some of your advertising revenue to the Australian media. People go to your website for the news. I heard about this, you got from this, and you remember at the time, that's a Facebook shit. The BED Australia often key functions. They cut them off completely right and what happened quietly they gave in right now. Some of that money goes to the Australian media. We are so much stronger than they are. They are really fucking unpopular, musk mat Zuckerberg. We are much stronger than they are. They want to project this image that they're you know, and there's good things and bad things about them.
Speaker 3: Of course I agree. I know exactly where you're coming from.
Speaker 4: If you think about the history of collective struggle, if you think about the power we can claim together against these forces that are fucking us up. My bookst On Focus is about how these forces are sucking up attention and actually lots of other forces are sucking up our attention as well, and how we can reclaim our minds. But we don't have to accept being fucked over when it comes to addiction, when it comes to depression, when it comes to attention, when it comes to the obesity crisis. We don't have to accept this. Right. It's not a force in nature, it's not inevitable to living in a modern society. It is a result of very particular, powerful forces that we can take on and change. But it requires a shift in mindset. Right. You obviously talk a lot about mindset, quite rightly. We need to realize we are not medieval peasants begging fucking Mark Zuckerberg and King Musk for a few little crumbs of attention from their table. We are free people. We are the free citizens of democracies. We own our own minds. We can take our minds back from these forces if we want to, but we've got to understand what's being done to them. We've got to understand it in a wider context. We've got understand the cage we've been put in, and together we can dismantle that cage. Right.
Speaker 2: I love that, you know what I'm going to finish on that because that was super powerful.
Speaker 3: Absolutely love this conversation.
Speaker 4: Mate.
Speaker 2: There's so much more to you than meets the eye, and I think you know, talk about humanity. That's all we can do is be there for each other, lift each other other, and if we can be there to show a bit of love, a bit of guidance, and to push people on the wide direction. Then you know the world is a powerful place that we can control right exactly, We not me and.
Speaker 4: We not me.
Speaker 3: I love that. Thank you, mate, Thank you so much for joining me on Headgame. If you enjoyed this.
Speaker 2: Episode, make sure you're subscribed so you don't miss any of our incredible stories, and leave me a review wherever you're listening.
Speaker 3: I'm Att Middleton. Catch you again next time.