Speaker 1: Welcome to the podcast today, and you're about to listen to episode one. After you finished, head straight over to episode two. Okay, enjoy.
Speaker 2: You know that's funny. The first time, the first time I ever met Josh m Brett, was it a nobs lynch. Do you remember that? Oh? Yeah, I was like eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just before I saw my hose because I remember Cookie was there as well.
Speaker 1: Were rolling. I think this is good rolling. Yeah, we're do it now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, first impressions of Josh were very highly made. I thought you were a very respectful young man and.
Speaker 1: Well mate, and that's what I said to him.
Speaker 2: I said, mate, I said, you know, I said mate, Yeah, I said listen, I don't know much about rugby league, but I know one thing. The game will repay you back the heart of your work, and you keep out a kid, you'll do good things. He said, I played three hundred games.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree with you more.
Speaker 4: After that brief encounter as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you retired three years later, so he did.
Speaker 1: Remember Jackie got the dark Missed gets the dark miss You'll see you in there for no apparent reason, A dark cloud, red mist. It actually just descends on him, and all of a sudden he gets really really dark at that lunch and he turns remember that, Yes, irritable flesh gave even flesh gats mate, what's the matter with the young blow?
Speaker 2: Because I couldn't I couldn't drink.
Speaker 1: Oh no, jeez, it's so sorry about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's my cut Now back the hell man.
Speaker 1: Operation?
Speaker 2: What is this operation you're running? Josh? Sorry, mam, I cut out? Yeah, the do you know what? It's because we had the that's because I was at Storm there. We had the Grand Final the next day against the Roosters, so and I wasn't obviously playing. Yeah, but it shouldn't have been too much stress on you.
Speaker 5: But because they would have been, you would have been staying like where the core, Yeah, yeah, across the road from it, which is where the after party was at there, And.
Speaker 1: That's right exactly.
Speaker 2: So I think I was annoyed because I couldn't drink because we were on a team drinking band whatever that means, doesn't work. And they got beat anyway, And so I think that's why I was so filthy, Because everyone's having a good time, you know, it's like to be sober something like that and everyone's having fun and you feel like you can't. Every time you try to crack a joke, someone talks over here.
Speaker 1: We just left a little bit of space for you and gave us nothing. Who was lunch in that year?
Speaker 5: Josh Dave Gleason was Yeah, Yeah, he got the play scale and that was really good. He's his favorite player. Was my old boy as well, Slippery. He came up to me and Bretton said, love love your old boy. We said we love you as well. So that was a pretty cool moment. But I'd met him before as well. He actually played at bobcat Ryan's wedding and we were We played the Storm in Adelaide for a couple of years and I went to the toilet after the game.
Speaker 4: We're in the team room. I went to the toilet and came back and he was sitting there with a guitar. On the tour, he does his warm up to the bet he does that's the acoustics in the cubicle.
Speaker 5: Of Brian says the same. So he came back in the game. But I came back into the room and he's playing all these songs just acoustic.
Speaker 4: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: He's a massive Dragons fan, So Dragons fan and when we want the copy sort of like Knights as well, but mostly Dragons. Now, he was a growing up, he was a junior referee and linesman, and think about that now, like then became one of the biggest rock stars in the world.
Speaker 2: There for a while, that's a scary there'd be a scary bike because he's quite a scary looking we call it. It looks a little bit like it looks a lot like a good career move.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, that's a that's a weird for bobcat Ryan like, it's a weird band to request like, it's a very Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't know how it worked out because it's back in the day before you had all social media and whatnot, So I don't know how it worked out.
Speaker 1: But one of the just great man I was. I was down there with Cooper for Live Golf and he lives down in Adelaide Now I had a couple of days with him. It was.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Still his brain chemistry is a little bit off. I just want to also shout it because you're a South Coast boy. You grew up in Cayam, you were born in.
Speaker 4: I was born in Saint George. Cogo Hospital, Congo Hospital.
Speaker 2: What a hospital that is as well. I could talk for hours about Cogo Hospital. Yeah it is the Yeah, no it's good. But I was just down in Gerrengong and stopped through Kyamert went to the Grand Hotel.
Speaker 4: What a beautiful part of the world it is.
Speaker 5: When I first got to the Dogs, they were my third party sponsor at the Grand Hotel.
Speaker 4: So I used to.
Speaker 5: Go back to the Grand Hotel and do promos there, get on the piss with all my mates. It was the best I'd be beyond the bar like later at night born bits for me mates.
Speaker 4: It was the best ever.
Speaker 2: So were they respons? Are the Bulldogs?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They were.
Speaker 5: They were my third party sponsor, so as part of the contract I had between them, I had to go down and do a certain amount of You didn't have to pull me on to get me down there.
Speaker 4: I was down there all the time. It was fantastic.
Speaker 1: I had a third party from the South coast. You know what I'd like the blowhole. Oh, Matthew John's as sponsored by the Kyama blowho all hailed the blowhole.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: I was just saying to Jami was off air. I stopped through there on the way in Jarringong and the blowhole was just like it was blowing. It was in really good form because there was the it was coming in I think from the east, the wind and the northeast. It was coming in just a perfect traction into the hole squirting out and Mate, talk about yeah, sorry, there's a turn of phrase there I probably shouldn't use, but talk about a tourist attraction for Kayama. There were buses of people coming in to see it.
Speaker 4: Just mate.
Speaker 5: In summer there used to be like the main street used to take you like ten to fifteen minutes to get down in the car. It used to be an absolute punish because if the blowhole is working, everyone wants to go there.
Speaker 2: And I spoke.
Speaker 4: About off here.
Speaker 5: A couple of my mates used to jump into it and jump over the back of it and they'd wait for the buses to turn up when it was a bit of a smaller day and they'd be jumping and they'd be taking photos of them, going, oh, Superman, and they'd be posing, there's Superman in these photos with them.
Speaker 4: So it was a great place to grow up.
Speaker 5: And that footy ground is probably one of the most picturesque, yeah, in Australia, but it was a ship place to play in winter, especially if there was a southerly wind like you could you could hear the line drop out and go it'd go eighty of the full really dead, that's how strong the wind would be there.
Speaker 4: So you imagine that and a bit of rain. It used to be.
Speaker 3: Horrible and you can imagine talent scouts going down there and going this kid's kicking game. You've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 1: And yes, to a neutral ground there. Actually it wasn't as good.
Speaker 4: As he's had six forty twenties.
Speaker 1: Georgie Mimus just taking them out. I'll put this on.
Speaker 5: But there's plenty, plenty of talent that's come from down there that way. I mean when I was going up there was Rod wish Art and then Sewn Timmins who was a bit older than me, Like those are the types of blokes that we grew up idolizing because you know they were from Kimer and Jerry Gong and they were able to play in the NRL, so you could see that there was a pathway there.
Speaker 2: You know what's cool though about those A lot of because I was just down there was had to be with Rocket Rod or Throb and Rod as he's going by. Now that's really apparently. Yeah, everyone's calling him Throbin.
Speaker 1: Does he do the pilates like like son tyrannt.
Speaker 2: Uh No, No, he's not quite as flexible as his son Tyrant. Yeah, there's a you wouldn't have heard this, James, but there was a there's a rumor going around and Buzz.
Speaker 1: Rockdale explain the genesis of all of this.
Speaker 2: So when we're doing the Family podcast, back when I was playing at Melbourne. In a throwaway comment once, I said that I caught Wishy in his room like trying to, you know, I guess, perform selfish on himself and that every day at training he like and daddy goo Wishy update and I go, oh, he's he's been had his ham, he's worked on this week. He had some accupuncho. He's got an extra inch but he just quite can't get there yet. Anyway, this is before he This is before Wish even Dave and then Wish he Dave booded and then Mate. The fans just targeted him. People just sledged him because back then you had to. It was even covid so some of the players who eight and ninety, but also the ball boys, so we should be on the sideline people going goes, what are you doing on a go on the sheds and suck yourself off.
Speaker 4: And then she goes and he's too nice.
Speaker 1: Hands why he probably would do that, and he's irresistible even for himself.
Speaker 2: And then Tyron goes, hey, look, I love love the stuff, but do you reckon? You can stop the you know, the flexibility stuff, because people are starting to go off to the family of Jerry going like sweet, no worries. And then we stopped doing it all together. But then the listeners didn't stop. They went it was Wikipedia's page and started changed his name to Tyron. The contortionists wish.
Speaker 4: Wikipedia is still undefeated.
Speaker 2: So I love how Wikipedia, even after all these years, you don't need to have some sort of verification to edit anyone's Wikipedia. You can just go in there like whatever you want.
Speaker 5: Well, a couple of players used to change their birthday, and I think Jeremy Smith did it, and Chris Irrington a couple of years at the back end of their career kept on changing.
Speaker 2: Their age, change their height.
Speaker 4: That's what Gal does. G says he's one hundred and eighty two centiments funk Off.
Speaker 1: I was explaining to the boys, Josh like growing up, so what year were you born? Eighty six? Forty this year, so you're out, you like being I've seen your dad's career as a kid.
Speaker 4: Nah, Like I barely remember.
Speaker 5: Like he was at the Roosters when when we were retired, and when he retired and would have been about three or four. I can still remember little parts of him interacting after the match with fans and stuff like that. But in turn of his footy, no, I don't remember it. But he had this tape and it's on YouTube now if you if you google his name, you'll see this tape of all his tries. That's what we had, and we would watch on repeat, Me and Brett would just sit there and watch it.
Speaker 1: He it was a real cult figure when he hit, you know, because I remember it's funny he went through he sort of crossed over two eras, yeah, which is interesting. So he crossed over the era where the half back was sort of fast ducker and data. It was placed by Steve Mortimer and whatnot, Billy Smith before that, and he was that and then all of a sudden when the game started to become a little more strategic and they wanted something different from the halves, they moved him to the.
Speaker 4: Wing, pass and tackle.
Speaker 1: As I was doing that last thing, and I really run your old man down here.
Speaker 2: You tried to do it in the most respectful way. You know, it's a game change.
Speaker 5: We don't let him let him miss out on that one. And it's it's quite funny because he scored one hundred and twenty something tries, and you know that when we first started playing first grade, I was like, oh, will we ever get to beat Dcord? And then Brett beat it and he rang him up and said, how does it feel to be the second top triscra? So I've been waiting for this and then it took me probably about three or four years later to get to it finally, and he goes, I've been fucking waiting for this. How does it feel to be the third best triscre in the family? So yeah, good, good little record to hang out hat on there, and it's probably a record that will stand for a long time.
Speaker 1: I imagine, I reckon, I readon. It will do you in retirement, We'll coop'll do it there like a bit of retirement then go back through the career. I just want to ask you there when you were talking like about to hit forty, how did you find retirement? At first? I can end up in the media doing stuff well.
Speaker 5: To start with, I was on the tools for about eighteen months. I finished my carpentry trade in the last two or three years while I was still playing, so i'd go to take Me and Brett both did it Tuesday Wednesday nights for three years. And then once I finished, I had a couple of mates that were builders, so I just jumped on the tools and helped out there for a little while. And then kind of it's got by chance that Levy Mark Leeby text me and said, oh, we've got a spot coming up on our Saturday show, would you like to jump in? And I did it, and then he said, oh that was really great, blah blah blah, And then a couple of weeks later I got on again, and then it kind of slowly ended up me at the end of the year getting a contract. And then it's been four years now since I've started on the radio. So I'm very grateful for him doing that. But yeah, it's just it's just it's it's not like a job like I said, like, yeah, you know, I worked hard for that, probably twelve to eighteen months on the tools, and I reckon. I had more injuries on the tools, and I had playing for fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Made no. I fell off a ladder.
Speaker 5: I was trying to shoot something into one of the hangars and the ladder went and because there was a window in front of me, I've kind of hooked the ladder and pulled it back that way. But as I've done that, I've dropped my nail gun and turned over and just shredded me straight across me study And then a brick landed on my head because I was I was, I was cleaning the floor around this ladder and one of the one of the brickies left it on there and it just hit me straight on the top of the forehead. But I saw him the next day and I said, mate, don't come near me. And he thought I was joking. I said, mate, I'm not joking. If you come near me, I'm going to knock you out. Any gays all right, I think I'm just going to go to this other job boys around the corner. But yeah, but I enjoyed that kind of stuff as well, because it was hard labor and you're part of a team again, and that's something that you miss when you retire. Obviously, the locker room and spend it all day with your mates and talk and shit, and I guess that kind of has similar traits to being in the footage side.
Speaker 4: So I did enjoy it. But yeah, I'm kind of happy the media stuff has kicked off.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine sometimes people you know, books and work and you turn up with the crew and they got you know, like.
Speaker 5: Josh, you must have gone ship with his whatnot, But no, I didn't. I just enjoyed the kind of physical labor and the hard work and I guess earning the beer at the end of the week.
Speaker 1: And you know what you just said there, That's how it sort of used to be. Players would you know, through their careers, boys they would they would play and literally the game, the rugby league thing was secondary the full time workers and another teacher football was teaching your dad and what you do if you owner butcher shop, or let's say for instance, you're a bill and whatnot. How you've got benefits from that was People would look and go oh mate, Josh Morris carpentry mate, We'll get him. So that that was the benefit of being a rugby leaue player, not so much what you're I.
Speaker 2: Was watching a game once and then I can't remember who's but the winger scored, and then it come up like you know, his age, weight and his occupation. Yeah, he was a teacher or a carpenter.
Speaker 5: Yes, And it's quite funny these days because I run into a lot of people because dad taught in Sydney for a long time before he moved down the South Coast, and I'll bump into a lot of people and they're like, oh, your dad taught me the same.
Speaker 1: Question prostitutes now of course, Okay.
Speaker 4: Was he a good teacher, No, not really, but he was fun. I think it just if it rained.
Speaker 5: He just used to put on like the Simpsons or the movies, or he'd put on games of himself.
Speaker 4: They just sit there and watch. So they didn't learn anything. Well, they had fun.
Speaker 1: More mana Veil Primary School Public school. The groundsman at man of our public school was Faddy Vaughton and the math teacher was Johnny Gibbs. Of course they're best mates, so what they used to do. Sometimes you just go fat, just get the incinerator going. They just like. And then in the meantime Faddy would sit underneath like the window of Gibbs his class and gives you to have one ear at the window and they listen to the races all day. Oh really, none of my kids can read or right, but he said, they're now it's six to four on me.
Speaker 2: What But how you enjoying the continuous call team?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, mate, it's great fun. Like I said, it doesn't feel like a job. And I guess I've been a fan of foot in my whole life, Like just because I've played it doesn't mean like as a young kid, if there was a good game on, like I was a massive Dragons fan. But if there was a good game between two good sides in form, I would love sitting there and watching it.
Speaker 4: And that hasn't stopped. Like I would even while I was playing. I would watch most games every weekend and I still watch most games on the weekends.
Speaker 5: And I try and palm it off as work for the missas so the kids leave me alone. But no, I've just been a fan of football, absolutely love it, and like I said, it just doesn't feel like a job when you're talking about something that you've done your whole life. And I guess the way that we do it is we we try and explain it in as simpler way as possible and dumb it down for the listeners so that they know exactly what we're saying. I guess because you know, we can pick up on the little tendencies that plays do when they misread something in defense or if they something comes off well in attack, like we're able to pick up that straight away and deliver it quickly and simply.
Speaker 4: So I enjoy that part of it as well.
Speaker 5: And it's something that when I first started of you don't realize how short a time you have to say something real quick. So you've got to try, and you've got to try and have like quality over quantity yep. And that's something that probably I have worked on throughout the last four years to try and get better at, and it's something that I enjoy.
Speaker 1: It's only like I find, Josh when at times then they asked me to commentate, I'll get there. And I find with commentary is if you try to talk while the game isn't play, what happens is you start to accelerate in your talk as the game accelerates, If that makes sense, I just tried to. I've sort of resigned myselfs to the fact I go, you know what, that part of I'm not good at what I'm good at. When the ball rolls in touch, I can turn my co commentator and just have a normal conversation. That's what I find the uses. But it is very, very difficult to start to work out, you know, when should I jump in, when should shouldn't I.
Speaker 5: And especially at sideline as well, because when you're at sideline, and you'll probably agree with this, you've only got about twenty seconds. But what they've said, they've done the try. The commentators called it, then the co commentators broken it down. But then they go to the sideline and you've got to try and come up with something different. And they've both talked about as well. Yes, so you can sometimes find that.
Speaker 2: Further injury update, my first week, I acted like my headphones weren't working just because I was that like, you know, when you're trying to think, if they come to me the next five minutes, what am I going to talk about it? You're constantly trying to figure out and I had nothing, nothing, and they spoke about everything and I just and they were looking down and I was just gone, like that, I think we're having some technical difference, but I could hear it and my mic was working fine. I was just that stressed in what I had to say.
Speaker 1: But the amazing history that style of radio when it comes to rugby league, it was two yu Wi, two GB, back to two yui, sort of backwards and forwards who ran it? And it started, like Ray Hadley says this all the time, he started the continuous call. But the predecessors were the pioneers of it, which was Peter Peters and Greg Hardley, Hollywood and Zorba. And in the eighties it was it was a revelation because before that you had guys legendary old old callers like Frank Hyde and be five to three and they go, welcome to the scug today, and whereas Hollywood and Zorba would go on at midday and take you right up to the game. And in a lot of ways, the game got in the way for the entertainment. And then of course Hadley took over at two yu wi and then moved out to GB. What's funny about it, mate, when it was Hadley both of Fulton, there was for White, there was Gibbsy.
Speaker 4: Big Mark yeah big.
Speaker 1: And you also had a blow there. Peter f Lingos, who was an iconic journalist at the time, like the buzz of his time, and what they were they for use of a better term, mate the mate. I won't say they're a scary group, but you didn't fuck with them if in fact with one of them. And I remember once we played a game, Josh, We're playing Sharks at home and Joey there was talking the newspaper that Joey is going to get sacked from Origin and Peter f Lingos is in the crowd. Now he just quoted a selector and I said in the press conference anyone who thinks Andrew Johns should be dropped from the new South Wales side obviously know nothing about football, right. And what happened is few of the journos turned it chippy for Lingos, so he took it personally anyway. One of the other journals said, this is a message from Chippy. I'm going to give it to you for the next month, so mate, literally for the next month. They just zeroed in on me and just gave it to me, gave it to me, gave it to me, just relentlessly. Then after the he goes, are we square?
Speaker 2: And I said, yes, yes we are. It's like a biking game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that it was like a mafia, you know, if you pulled. If you pulled, Bozos, tell them Bozo Hadley or any of them made that after you. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh, they tell a couple of good stories about Bozo about how if there was like they used to always get food and stuff delivered, and they'd have products delivered and then.
Speaker 4: And it'd just been disappear.
Speaker 5: And then they'd open up the back of Bozo's car and there'd be platters of a lawn in there, like whatever was going he would get it first before anyone else did. And then even one day, I think the big Man had his name on a pie and he'd written Levy had his name on a pie. Sorry, and he'd written his name on it, and he's gone to get it and he couldn't find it. And then Bozos called in and goes, well, have I got Levy's pie with me?
Speaker 1: It's just ruthless, ruthless. He was a coach. But Tea what Jeezy was a great coach. Ye to go away on tour. He was a great coach because, yeah, I think a lot of coaches get they they mark it up. They take a touring team away to England after the end of a long year and they try to make it two technicals and serious both. I had the perfect mix. And he had a really game player that was simple, so he didn't need to be trained all the time and working. But mate, he loved a row it when we left. Honestly, the amount of jerseys Kendrick. He went to Canterbury Clothing and he said, mate, we need twenty sets jerseys. Apparently they were what mate, we needed seven or eight sets. But what he'd do is he distributed the mountains. I go around all the shops and Ludes and Barta. So you go into a shop at Lads with assigned to strange jersey and go what can I get and they give you a thousand dollars worth of gear and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: It was just the greatest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'd let you guys do it.
Speaker 1: He'd do most of it. Him and Terry Hill, both of them, both of them passed now they both do it. But they distributed some out and go here, like Terry goes he maye here take this down Cadalut's football clubs. So you go down to the soccer club at.
Speaker 4: And back in those Leeds were big.
Speaker 1: They were huge. But even when you go down to the cycle club like that, go oh mate, the kangaroos are here. Can you believe that? Even the Premier League players. So I'd be like, oh mate, you know they give your tickets to the game and you'd swap jerseys. That was just all boz.
Speaker 2: It was whatever, right, a state of origin period. At the moment Jaylen's you played in I would say one of the most you know, one of the best State of Osan sides we've ever seen in Queensland. Yeah, but you know you and your brother Brett, we're two standout consistent players always finished South Wales. What was it like coming up against that Queensland side, you know, camp Smith, JT, Darren lockeer Billy Slater. What was that like?
Speaker 4: Look like it was it was a tough time.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know they won, they had won eight in a row up to twenty fourteen, but like you didn't play in all those series, but you felt that pain, you know, like that waiting, that expectation to try and finally break the series, and you look at their side. There'll be players at Hall of Famers and mortals out of that side, and you basically knew that you had to you had to play pretty much a perfect game of footy to beat them, like they weren't going to give you anything and if you stuffed up early on, they were going to make you pay. So in twenty fourteen Lows took over as coach and we had a catch cry pretty much from the start. We had a camp early in January and it was whatever it takes, like we'd had enough. There was like a lot of tension between both sides at that stage. We went away on a kangaroo tour, there was still tension there. That was twenty thirteen, twenty twelve. There was a test at the end of the year where the Australian side won and they sung the Queensland side.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: So that got a lot of the Blues players off as well, and a few of us got bagged about having the shits about.
Speaker 4: It and we were just like, it's not the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: Austra in side they do they do they check with the new so Wale size that were in that Australia the news players that were in that Australian side, did they sort of have a discussion with them or they just sung it and it was just.
Speaker 5: It was just sung and then all the all the boys just kind of looked at each other and went, we're not singing this.
Speaker 4: And then even that night we.
Speaker 5: Went to dinner and there was a New South Wales table at Queensland table, Like that's how that's how bad it got at this stage. So that fourteen series, that's why, like it was such a great series for us, because if you go back and look at that game one, because the hundredth Game of Origin, other beats and had just passed away. They'd retired his jersey for the night. So Queen's n came out and said, we're playing for Artie. You know, we're going to get this win. And we went, all right, well that's good, but you know we've been We're going to do whatever it takes.
Speaker 4: We're going to show you.
Speaker 5: How much this jersey means to us, how much Origin means to us. And then obviously what happened off the back of that Brett broke his shoulder.
Speaker 4: Score in the trip, I stayed on the field, I.
Speaker 5: Hurt my knee and then got up obviously off the ground to get Gi and that tackle a lot of say I'm off side, but you're going to know the rules to play the rules.
Speaker 2: So that was the same game whenause I remember Brett even later in the second he broke the shoulder in the first time the trysaver on Daris.
Speaker 4: Boy right at the end.
Speaker 5: Yeah so, and in that game as well, Chocky Watow ruptured his bicep and then at full time Bo Scott was in the shed's collapse with exhaustion. And if you remember that game, the whole second half we're pretty much on our trial line and even Gus Good in the commentary was saying, oh, they're going to break him here, They're going to break him here, They're going to break him here. But we managed to win that game, and that was probably one of the toughest games of footy Hall played. But the most rewarding as well was sitting in the sheds after the game. I don't Reckon Laurie talked for twenty minutes because everyone was just down. It was like a hospital or there were ice packs on everyone, but everyone had this big grin on their face.
Speaker 4: Just how good is that? Because we knew if we could get back.
Speaker 5: Down to Sydney we'd have a chance of wrapping up the series there because we had to go up and play Game three at some uncurt so we knew if we lost the first one we'd be right up against it. And yeah, that was that was really rewarding. And then obviously we won Game two and then I think we pretty much partied for the.
Speaker 4: Next three after that job done accomplished.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really interesting you say that, Josh, because one of the things that Queensland always win is the battle of the build up. They win the battle of the narrative. So regardless who's in the side and how great the side is, whether it's Wally Lewis camera and all of those plays, they paint themselves. They're successful, always painting themselves as the down trot, the underdog, and we're going to go after them. But what you've said is going away on that tour and new blokes have been witnessed to what happened, you blokes come back and always won the battle of the narrative, you know, like We're going to make these blokes who put shit on us, we're going to square up on them. It's a really interesting one that that happens away on tour. It's the first time, Josh, I've heard anything like that since nineteen eighty five. There was a bat there was, Yeah, you heard that one about eighty five. Terry Fernley coached New South Wales. They won the series, then they won a way to New Zealand and Terry Fernley dropped all the Queenslanders. There was only like I think one or two Queenslanders in the whole squad and made it was they reckon. It was an awful tour but there and that was sort of sold for a long time. But that's interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and look when like it wasn't too bad if they were kind of by themselves, but like when they were in a group, that's when you noticed it. But that they I guess at that stage they had earned that right because they won so many and they were a tight knit bunch. But at stages it also came across across as arrogance and we kind of used that as well against him and one bloke who was instrumental and getting us to win that series was Hainzy like he was unbelievable in that fourteen series. And he kind of said before game one, we were just about to get on the bus and he pretty much stood up in front of the boys and said, I'm not leaving anything out there tonight.
Speaker 4: Boys come with me and we're going to get this wind tonight.
Speaker 1: That's very much unlike him from the things I've heard him. That's that's that's extraordinary. Yeah, that's it's funny watching that, watching Queensland Queensland players, they have this amazing link to that jersey. And I've asked Queensland a few Queensland blakes before of my era, before my era and after my era, and I said him what is more special? What would you want? Would you want to Australiane jersey on your wall or Queensland Jersey? Without his hesitation, they say Queensland Jersey And maybe you know for sometimes over the years, that's one thing that's probably held us back a little bit. If you asked the blues player, what do you want you wore? I would I would think that most people were say in Australian Jersey.
Speaker 5: I would say a Blues jersey. Yeah, okay, I would say a blue. I loved Origin, Like when I was a young kid, it was kind of one of the only times that we got pizza.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yes, Origin night.
Speaker 5: Used to look forward to getting pizza and then played knee footy in the lounde room till the game started at halftime knee footy and then watch it and like I just grew up like loving the Blues players like and a lot of success when I was younger too, like the Blues side, so yeah, and like watching it as a teenager and then getting to play first grade, like I saw that as the pinnacle, and you know, to play fifteen like is something that I'm really really proud of.
Speaker 1: It's amazing achievement. And but it's funny. I always think Australia and people of my era because of how many stepping stones you have to get, So it used to be a stepping stone, right. I play good at club level City Country, City, Country and give an idea. When I my first ever Country Origin team I got picked in. I walked into the room. There was Lory Daily, Bradley Clyde, Ricky Stewart, Glan Lazarus, God Wish, Paul mcgreth and it was like an Origin side and made it was so serious and now if you played good in that, you get picked in Origin and that was the one away then if you play good Australia.
Speaker 2: He looked now right Like even last year's Australia Tour, Ethan Strange and Jacob Preston taken over in the squad. They had never made an Origin side, but it was like, oh, you know, they'll learn a lot from that. They may even be Origin players one day. Like they almost talked about it like it was international and then Origin was the peak. Were there many people back in your day that actually went like made Australia first before Origin or was it a natural progression Britain did? He did?
Speaker 5: He went on the nine Tour and played for Australia and then played Origin in twenty ten. And I think my boy did too, actually he played. He was I think he's the last person to ever go from country football to Australia and it was his one and only tests nineteen seventy eight. He was playing for Dado and picked in the Australians.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Mick Crohnin did, Yeah, got picked from Jarring Gone played for Australia has only been down, you know, only a couple of times. That's that's that's an amazing achieved. This is what happens when you get over fifty. Josh, you actually forgot what you're going to talk about.
Speaker 2: I got a question because I think because I don't want to make you feel old. But you know, you talk about people you grew up watching State of Orogent. I actually grew up watching you in State of Origin, and I always found that you and your brother Brett, no matter former club level or anything, people always talk about you know, people in Queensland, they elevate for that jersey. It always seemed like, no matter the former club land, how your club team was going, anytime you and Brett put an Origin jersey on your form would always you guys would always lift to that level. Was that something you guys prowered yourself on or were you guys always just so motivated to put that jersey.
Speaker 5: No, definitely something that we prided ourselves on. You know, every time you play Origin, you've got to prove yourself you've got it. Like you can play one Origin and call yourself an Origin player, but you've got to you've got to go out there and do the jump of justice and prove that you deserve to be there, and no matter what the score was, no matter how long the game was, in like, we just didn't change the way we played. And I think the fact that I left the Dragons and went across to the Dogs also made us play better in the fact that we would only play in rep sides together, so we both knew that we had to be playing well to get that Blues jersey as well. And then that confidence of being the same team together and you know, playing alongside each other just made us It was like we almost wanted to outdo each other on that stage as well, so that that always worked in our favor.
Speaker 1: The dynamic between so myself and Andrew, although were three years different, we've always grown up very very tight or mostly like yeah, tighter than three years. And when we play on the field together, I knew, or even just in life, when he does something, I know, if I say something, I know exactly what he's been everything. And on the football field, you know, I played with him a little bit to juniors, but we played in the backyard so much. And when I first got into NRL, I was going oh, you know, trying to work with the half back, and then halfag got injured, Joey came on the field and I'm like, oh man, this is so easy. So that old dynamic. But before we talk about playing with a twin, like growing up with a twin, can you just let us know the dynamic? Do you think the same. There's always talk about there almost been this invisible link.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, like I think you know, we were still our best mates, and we were absolutely horrendous, like when we're young, we're just getting to everything. No, I iPads nothing just to distract her these days. But I was always the more active one out of the two of us and Scalliwag. Yeah, probably, And you could say that still like I did a lot of our talking growing up, Brett didn't. Brett just kind of let me go off and be the goose and just sat there and watched and then he goes, I'd and have to do it, and you did it all for me. But even like when we were when we were young kids, my mum caught me getting out of my cot, jumping into his court, pushing his ass over the thing to get him out, and we'd go and go and do stuff together, Like we we burned down a kitchen one time by putting newspapers on the stove and said turning the stove on. That was my older brother's first day, his first ever gave a foot. He didn't get to go to it.
Speaker 1: Evil motherfuckers.
Speaker 5: My granddad was looking after us one time and we went into a bathroom, took the cistern off and took everything out and then flushed it and it just completely flooded the bathroom. And below there was a two story house. So we had to get all the work done. Margarine on the walls, just painted the walls, march, oh, mate. There was so much stuff that we did. Like Mum would try and go into the shopping center to go and get something real quick, and she'd have a strapped into her car seats and then she'd get back there'd be a crowd around the car of me and beeping on the horner and they're like whose kids are they? And she'd be like, I don't even start. So we were always thick as thieves going up And like I said, like our rivalry was never bitter at any stages. It's always been competitive and always tried to outdo each other in the best way possible. And I guess when we had that mindset, it was only going to end in success.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course.
Speaker 5: So and look, there was a lot of people like when we were younger, like saying, oh, you're only on this side because you're old You're old boy in your last name, and we just use that as as more fire, you know, like to ignite, just to say no, we're not. This is why we're here because we worked bloody hard. And when when we got into the first grade squads and started training with the top squad, it was we were always trying to be number one into what we did. Okay, if you have that kind of mindset, I guess it's going to help.
Speaker 1: So as juniors, who athletics is who won.
Speaker 4: In primary school? I won, in high school, he won.
Speaker 1: Who made the websides, who was first picked?
Speaker 5: It just depended like one year I would I would get in, and then he would get in the next year and I wouldn't. So in terms of like your Harold Matthews and your sty ball and stuff like that, well, like we played well, I played group seven first because I didn't get picked in the Alora sides. Brett got picked in My first repside was SG ball when I was eighteen, and like I, I trained like when he was. He made that side in seventeen. I went away and while he was doing all his stuff, I was in the gym trying to train as hard as I could try and get to get myself to a level which could compete with those blokes. And then made it when we were eighteen. And then we kind of made a pack to each other, like to give it our best shot possible and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.
Speaker 1: Could I ask the question?
Speaker 3: Actually? Sorry?
Speaker 1: Maybe sorry?
Speaker 2: What his MIC's on.
Speaker 1: Your bed? See I'm about.
Speaker 3: I was actually thinking about this the other day with the couch from Brothers. It just popped into my brain. When I first saw it South, I had a conversation with Anthony Seabolt about the Burgers brothers, right, and he was talking about the twins, the brothers, and he was sort of saying they went off. They had a really poor twenty seventeen and then twenty eighteen. I think it might have been Tom George went to the bench and Tom really shot out of nowhere and started like overlapping sort of George after he'd had that big period through the competition winning stage. Did you feel like I remember him saying that, like, if one of them done something good, that everyone in the perception was across pretty much the whole media landscape or whoever it was, would give them, like a give them both points, and then if someone did something bad, they'd give them both negative points.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like linked? Yeah? No.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like in juniors all growing up that if like one person did something good to one person did something bad, it was like both your stock was affected by it.
Speaker 2: Nah.
Speaker 5: Maybe a little bit more so when we were younger, but I guess when we're older and home in first grade, because we separated positions. I think, you know, they're both front rowers, so that's where they probably got tired with the same brush.
Speaker 2: And you couldn't even tell them a partnery both dropping the ball equally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, I think the fact that I went to center and Brett stayed on the wing, I think that kind of gave us our individual nurse. I guess instead of putting us in the same.
Speaker 2: Did you both like because you talk about one of his making reps and then one doesn't. Did you both hit puberty together like identical twins. That's a very personal question, but like do you both All I.
Speaker 4: Know is we stopped sharing together in primary schools.
Speaker 2: Have your periods together, ye know how like you know, a kid just like peaks when he said, like he'll just be overnight like sixteen, but rather might.
Speaker 4: Be in high school at some stage.
Speaker 5: But we didn't really shoot up until we're about seventeen eighteen, So.
Speaker 2: You're both late bloomers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like we thought we had dad's type. Yeah, we thought, well, we'll make we'll make do it. And actually that probably helped us in a way as well, because you know, when you're smaller and all these kids hit puberty and they get bigger than you, you've got to rely on your skill and other strengths of your game to get on that level as then. But then when you shoot up and they haven't worked hard, then they go like that and you go like that. And I think that's what probably was a good thing for us as well.
Speaker 1: School.
Speaker 4: I was the one at school. Yeah, Brett.
Speaker 1: Fred's an idiot.
Speaker 4: He's not an idiot like I said he was. He was kind of I was always the more active one, but at school when you turned eighteen, you could sign your own absentee slip.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, but I think Brett was forging his for a long time before he was eight, and I didn't realize how many days he had off because like when you get to year eleven and twelve you'd have free periods. Yeah, I think he did it so he'd have a double free period one and he just wouldn't turn up. He just wouldn't go. And then my mum got our report cards in year twelve. I think he had like one hundred and fifty days. What he's been so on them the whole time.
Speaker 4: And then when we got to the HC, he goes, we did the mass math test together. He goes, oh, what do you get for this? I said, oh, I got this. He goes, now, I didn't get that that. I didn't get that. So I think he got about sixty in his I got just under eighty.
Speaker 2: Did you ever do like any pranks where you know he he might be a really good at English, so you go right over it, like you you pretend to be Josh for this English test, but I'll do your math test for you.
Speaker 4: Like well, we were in in primary school.
Speaker 5: We weren't allowed to be in the same classes, but in high school we were pretty much in every single class together, so we couldn't couldn't really do.
Speaker 1: It about what about the dating suite, like did you like you know, like okay, just trying to work there.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 1: No, but I'm meaning just like, for instance, let's say, for instance, like Brett's got a girlfriend and she obviously meets him, and she looks him and says he's hot. Yeah, I like him. But then all of a sudden she meets the twin it goes oh, like okay, yeah, was there like was there anything?
Speaker 4: Nah?
Speaker 5: No, there was nothing like that. I mean I would have been the better of the two, but they would like I think we kind of had different tastes in women, yeah, extend.
Speaker 4: Well, I was. I was probably more about quantity over quality, but we did.
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 5: There was one night where we did hook up with the same ship and I don't think she realized, And we didn't realize until the next morning when we were a bit hung over and just go I gave her a pash last night I said, did I what time.
Speaker 2: You were in the same out there? That is because it's also an interesting dynamic, right, because you're start seeing a girl and you might introduce her to your friendship group and you know, out of respect, she'll say, oh, you know, you might have a really good looking friend in your and your group, and she goes, oh, no, he's not good looking. I don't know why everyone lies here, he's not good looking. But for you, guys, you bring a girl home and she has no excuse but to admit that. You know your twin is good looking because he's identical to you.
Speaker 4: That's a fair point. But I don't think that any of them ever did.
Speaker 1: So look on the dating, you know what I mean. Yeah, beauty is on the inside, you know.
Speaker 3: So you've got to realize that these two guys, Josh, they only see what's in front of them.
Speaker 1: They don't they don't look any deeper.
Speaker 2: Because that's what halves do. They play with it in front of him.
Speaker 1: I was updating before we go into Uh okay, that's the into part one. I reckon it would have enjoyed it. Head over to part two.