Speaker 1: I get our team. Hope you bloody terrific. Welcome to another installming a you project. It's Praige Anthony Harper. Who else would it be. I hope you're great. I hope this finds you well. As I record this. It is two fifty one, it's Friday. We're heading up to a big event on the Australian sports calendar. Tomorrow is the AFL Grand Final. Some of you're like, fuck yeah, whooping he warp. Some of you were like, couldn't give a shit, and some of you overseas like never heard of it, don't care, don't blame you. But in Melbourne, where the Grand Final happens, where I'm located, is quite a big deal. So it's public holiday here, goof and round. And I've been chatting with somebody in the last hour or so about about the thing I want to talk to you about right now, which is about education.
Speaker 2: Which is about the way that we learn.
Speaker 1: And you know, for some people, the academic experience is brilliant and amazing.
Speaker 2: Some people sailed.
Speaker 1: Through school because school, whichever school they went through, to whatever academic system they were in the middle of environment teacher, there are a lot of variables that worked for them. For some kids not so.
Speaker 2: Great, not bad.
Speaker 1: But bits of it were great, bits of it were not so great, probably most of us. So I guess for me, some of it not bad, some of it a fucking nightmare at times, depending.
Speaker 2: But for some.
Speaker 1: People school was not for a range of reasons. And I'm not talking about the social component or bullying here. I'm just talking about the purely, about the the academic, purely about the way that some people learn optimally, the style of learning that suits them, the environment that suits them to learn in the academic model that is optimal or close to optimal for them. There are a lot of variables around that. And one of the things that gets said to me a lot, a couple of times a week is that something like, I wish the stuff that you teach could be taught at schools. I wish that my kids would have obviously not instead of all the academic, brilliant stuff that we need. And also, by the way, it's not about me. It's about the ideas that we explore. It's about the strategies and the constructs that we explore on this show. Right, I didn't what I'm about to share with you. I didn't invent any of this. This is not a Craig Harper thing. This is just a kind of intelligence and wisdom, arm and education that doesn't typically happen at school. But some of the things that I'm going to talk about and share, I believe would be very advantageous for many young people had they'd been exposed to some of this thinking and some of this kind of education, and some of this bigger than the classroom awareness kind of almost life one oh one, Like it's good to understand geography and anatomy and a bit of physiology and maths and English and grammar, and we need all of that. But also, and again, this is not a slight on any particular school or the education system or teachers, because I think that the role of a teacher is overwhelmingly complicated and difficult, and I think for the most part, most teachers do somewhere between a pretty good job and a really good job. But this is me just thinking more expansively beyond the typical model of academia and classroom learning. Some of the things that I wish I had at least been introduced to earlier, because it probably would have saved a little bit of pain, although a bit of pain and a bit of mayhem and a bit of madness is okay because it helps us sometimes it helps us build skill and awareness and all of those things and talent and problem solving. But anyway, so here are some of the things that I think some of the ideas or some of the lessons that could be taught or some of the concepts that could be introduced, if not at school, then maybe outside of school. So Number one is, life doesn't care about your feelings. Life doesn't give a fuck about your feelings or you or your self esteem, or your happiness or your health. Because life is not some conscious being sitting off to the left just observing you and worrying or caring or observing or monitoring your feelings or your self esteem, or your health, your physical, mental, or emotional health, or your happiness. Life is just this massive, ongoing, never ending collection of interactions and experiences and people and places and events and bullshit and good days and bad days and outcomes and media and social media and all of these things that make up the human experience, this multitude of things that intersect to to create what we call a life, a life, and in the middle of all of that, in the middle of all of those things that are mostly out of your control and my control. In the middle, in the middle of all of that is you.
Speaker 2: And me.
Speaker 1: And it's not life's job to take care of your emotions. In fact, it's not anyone's job but yours. So the good news is that you and I in the middle of all of the shit that we can't control, the madness and mayhem, the good and bad, picks and troughs, in the middle of all of that. When we open the awareness door on this reality that it's not life's job, it's not the universus job to look after me, it's my job to look after me. Life will happen despite me. Life will happen, Life will continue. Life was here. If we're talking about life as this massive thing that humanity exists in the middle of, well, life was here long before fucking Fatty Harps came on the scene and the U Project came on the scene. Life was here. Life continues to be here. And when I'm gone, well, my life will be gone, but life as a macro experience for humanity human kind will continue on. And so this is not this is not defeatist this is nothing to worry about. This is just something like this whole idea that life's not fair. Well, life is just life. For most of you listening to this, most of you listening to this were born in not all of you, but were born in relative luxury. And by that I mean a first world country with a lot of the challenges that people living in other parts of the world a lot of those challenges missing. And I don't know your background. You might not be that might not be true for you, but there's a fair chance that if you're listening to me on a podcast, using your phone or using a computer or a an iPad or whatever it is, there's a fair chance that you're not living in abject poverty as many people are in the world. Which is not say that your life is not without challenges, of course, or difficulty. But you and I still, even in the middle of the mess and the mayhem and the pain, you and I still get to figure out what we are going to do with our life. And I think that a great thing to teach kids early on, you know, that non classroom lesson that might be a nice addition outside of the classroom, would be that that ultimately you're in.
Speaker 2: Charge of you. You're in charge of.
Speaker 1: Your choices and your feelings and your actions and your interactions and people and things and events and good and bad stuff will happen to you because of you, inspite.
Speaker 2: You, and around you.
Speaker 1: But in the middle of it, you get to self regulate, you get to self manage, and you get to create your version of life.
Speaker 2: Your personal experience.
Speaker 1: Number two is what they should teach you at school?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: And this sounds this sounds, this sounds tough, but it's true. And statistically you are quite likely to end up unhealthy or in debt or divorced, and maybe not happily married, maybe not healthy, and maybe not financially secure. If you are typical slash average slash representative of current data and statistics around this stuff, you don't need to be though. This is the great news, right. I think we need to understand what is real, what is going on, And this is not negativity. This is observation and awareness so that we can move into the next year, two, ten, fifteen, twenty of our life with this knowledge. Like if you're statistically average, then you are overweight or obese. So in Australia, for example, sixty six percent of adults or overweight or obese. But you don't need to be that's the good news. About fifty percent of marriages end in divorce. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get married. Of course, first marriage's first marriage. The number is a little the percentages a little bit lower. Second marriages is higher, and third marriage is way higher. Again, it's not to say don't get married, it's to say, go into everything with your eyes wide open. About forty seven percent of Australians are adult Australians are currently in debt or some form of financial difficulty or hardship. That's I read that in the ASSEK Report June twenty twenty four, so very recently. And that's not to be negative, that not to be pessimistic. That's to open our eyes and pull back the curtain on what happens for many adults in Australia and in many other places around the world. Obviously, So why do we pull back that curtain and reveal that stuff Because we don't need to be statistically average. We don't need to. We don't need to end up miserable or broke or unhealthy. We don't need to. But we need to consciously, intentionally plan the life that we want. What is the health that you want, what is the financial reality that you would like to inhabit, what is the career that you would like to have? What kind of marriage and relationship do you want to have? Because you will not accidentally end up in an awesome place. And we spoke recently about living intentionally, living consciously, being the designer of your life.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: You know, when people talk to me, I spoke, what is today today's Friday? I spoke someone can't remember earlier this week and somebody who desperately wants to be married. And literally this person said that to me, I desperately want to be married. But you know, I'm worried about this, and I'm worried about that, And just the fact that the word desperate is in there is a red flag for me. And the reality is that for some people, just using this as a particular example, for some people the idea of being married or marriage is a solution to some kind of problem in their mind. But if the reason that you want to get married is not because you're hopelessly and helplessly in love, this is in my opinion, of course, This is my opinion, and I will admit my opinions and my expertise in the area of marriage may not be worthless too. But it seems reasonable to me to suggest that a really good starting point for marrying someone in general terms is that you love the shit out of them, not because they solve some kind of problem or fill some kind of whole. At this stage of your life's journey and some people, that is the conversation that needs to be had. So if you don't want to be average or typical, if you want to be happily married for a long time, go into it with your eyes wide open. Have healthy relationships, healthy conversations, in habit a healthy paradigm.
Speaker 2: Do your best to create that in terms of you and your partner.
Speaker 1: If you want to be financially secure, if you want your health to be close to optimal for you, then none of that stuff will happen accidentally. Number three in my little list of what they should teach you at school is the have to success.
Speaker 2: Whatever that means.
Speaker 1: Is rarely fun, quick, easy.
Speaker 2: Painless, or comfortable.
Speaker 1: Also that's okay, that's okay, and that's okay because when we do the hard, difficult, complicated, messy stuff, and we lean into that, and we roll up our sleeves and we embrace the messy, painful journey. We commit to the work, We commit to the doing of what is required. In the middle of that doing, in the middle of that hard stuff, in the middle of that uncertainty and discomfort, in the middle of all of that, we are very likely to build resilience, competence, confidence, skill, understanding, and to become a better version of us. Like I've said many times, the journey is the gift. We think it's all about where we go, and we think it's all about the destiny. And there's nothing wrong with the destination, of course, But the amount of people who have arrived at the destination in inverted commas, the amount of people that I've worked with that achieved what they set out to and then sitting in the middle of that outcome, haven't experienced something resembling, Oh, this is not what I thought it would be. Oh, I'm where I wanted to be. I achieved what I wanted to. I achieved the shape or the size, or the bank balance or the career or this. I got where I wanted to go. But now that I'm in the middle of being at that destination, something's missing. And so for me, that is why it is an ongoing thing. And that doesn't mean that it's an ongoing journey of anxiety and a lack of fulfillment, but realizing that we're always on the journey. Even when we reach our goals, life doesn't end. We don't hit the brakes and go dnnah. Now nothing more. I have no more ambition, I have no more goals. I'm just now hands behind the old head. I'm going to lean back in the bean bag and I'm done. Because we humans, we need we need to be stimulated, we need opportunities, we need challenges, we need to be solving problems. We think that we're going to get to a point and just retire.
Speaker 2: We ain't.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, some people do. But when I say retire and be happy, retire from everything, no, No, even if we retire from work, which I'm not saying, don't retire from work. But we don't want to retire from purpose. We don't want to retire from meaning. We don't want to retire from learning. We don't want to retire from connection and socialization. We don't want to retire from having a reason and a purpose and a focus and a and even if that mission is just to grow a great garden, even if that mission is to spend time with our grandkids and to be a good influence in their life, even if that mission is to have a purpose bigger than me, we don't want to retire from life. Number four, Number four is truth. Number four lesson number four is you can't do anything. You can't do anything you set your mind to. So there's a very common theme that that kids get. You can do you can be whatever you want to be. You can be whatever you want to be. And that sounds nice, and it might make person who's been told that feel good, and it might make the teller of that the share of that message. You can be anything you want. But it's not true. It's just not true. We can't we can't all be world famous singers because we don't all have that talent. We can't all run one hundred meters in ten seconds because we don't all have those genetics. We can't all be famous film producers and win Academy Awards because they only hand out a certain amount. The truth is that most of us have quite a bit of potential and talent, that we're not operationalizing, we're not maximizing. But also the truth is that we can't do everything, and that is okay, So the whole you can do anything you set your mind too. It seems like a good idea to tell kids that, but when you tell something to a kid that is not true, you potentially set them up for disappointment and frustration and resentment. But yes, we need to support and encourage them.
Speaker 2: Yes we need to.
Speaker 1: Love them in a way which is supportive and of value to them. But also kids get it. Kids are not dumb. We can be practical. Like if somebody had has said to me when I was ninety plus kilos at fourteen, hey mate, you're probably not going to be an ultra endurance runner anytime soon, although you probably could become a much better runner than you are. You probably could get in much better shape than you're in. But with your genetics and but you might not make the Olympics. But you know what you could You could maybe you could, We're not sure, but you could definitely be way fitter, way healthier, way lean. But I would have gone, yeah, that makes sense. That wouldn't have broken my heart. If some he had said to me, you know when I was a kid, Hey, Craig, you're probably not You're probably not going to be the next John Mayer, even though John Mayer is younger than me. But you're not going to be the next whatever Elvis, right because you sing like shit. Bro, You're an awesome human. We love you, you're funny, you're a good community. But you can't sing. But nonetheless we love you. So maybe those Grammy awards are not going to come your way, but that's okay. That's okay because you're a great kid and your love. So there's a way that we can be practical and realistic and still encourage and support not only kids but adults, but the whole telling people, you know, this self help hyperbole, this feel good fucking fluff that doesn't practically help people in the real world. When you tell people that they can do anything when they clearly can't. It's not like, oh, there's nothing that's beyond your reach. No, that isn't true. Any things. Plenty of things that are beyond everyone's reach. And so yes, let's be positive, let's be supportive. Also, let's be practical. Lesson number five on what they should teach you at school.
Speaker 2: I might.
Speaker 1: I've actually got twelve, so I might cut this at number six and maybe do a part two. So number five is, sometimes the people who will undermine, backstab and sabotage you will be family and friends, and that that's not what we want to hear. But if you're a grown up, you know this to be true. Maybe it hasn't been true for you, but you know that it's been true for people you know. And if you are typical, then then you have had this happen to you somebody that you care about, somebody that maybe you really loved. I don't think I'm being wildly affected by this more than others, but I've had I would say it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I was going to give it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: But I've had multiple people that I really loved, that I really cared about, that I really trusted, that I really respected, that I really invested. You know a lot of me in and more than one or two people have done some horrible shit people that I loved. And that's okay. I'm not sooking, I'm not bitching. I'm just saying what happened on planet Craig, and that's okay, because that happens to us. And by the way, I'm not saying I'm great everybody else's shit. I'm not saying that because if I'm being self aware and honest and transparent, have I ever been a shit friend to someone?
Speaker 2: Of course I have?
Speaker 1: Of course I have I ever done the wrong thing?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Of course, of course we all do dumb shit, and we all sometimes where self centered fucks, and sometimes the problem is us. But I think it's good to be practical and realistic about trust and respect and the place that people that we allow people to have in our head, heart and life, and know that there will be times. Hopefully most people will surprise you pleasantly, but if you are, if you're a regular run of the mill human like me and most of you listening, then then you're definitely going to have people who are going to fuck you over. Now, the challenge there is how we respond to that. There will be people that you respect and trust and have invested time and energy and love and caring that will do the wrong thing, and that while that is not okay, it kind of has to be okay because you're just going to have to deal with that.
Speaker 2: As I've had to deal with that. Now.
Speaker 1: The flip side of that, which is fucking great news, is that there will be people that come into your life and they wind up being an unexpected gift, a blessing, people who undersell and over deliver and you don't even know why. But these people are just fucking amazing.
Speaker 2: They are amazing.
Speaker 1: They are kind, they are generous, they are supportive, they are helpful, they are loving, and they will cheer you on on your path to success and purpose and happiness. And there are just as many shitty people as I've had fucked me over.
Speaker 2: I've had that many.
Speaker 1: I think probably that many people who maybe more, who have been just an unexpected gift in my life. And I'm eternally grateful for those people. And let's go with less than number six. That what I think we should teach, or hope we could teach, if not in school, to our young people outside of school. Lessons that I wish I learned when I was younger is that your intentions are often not someone else's experience. That is, they're not getting what you think you're giving at some stage, one hundred percent. At some stage, your good intentions will absolutely produce a bad outcome. I'm going to say that again, at some stage, your noble, generous, kind, good intentions will absolutely create a bad outcome, a bad result. And that is because what you're thinking about what you're doing, your intention, your motive, your reason, let's say that's noble, generous, kind, loving People don't live in your mind. People don't live in your intentions. People don't live in your thinking. All they do is respond to what you do. You do something with good intentions. They don't know what your intentions are, necessarily, but they do know what you did because they were part of what you did. Because what you did to them, the words you said, the thing you did, the behavior, the action, whatever it is, they experience that firsthand and then they have to try to decode that, break that down, tell themselves a story about it. And quite often the story that they have about your behavior is not the story that you have about your behavior. So understand that as you're going in. How many times have I as a teacher, as a coach, as a mentor, how many times have I said something or done something with good intention that didn't produce a good outcome?
Speaker 2: Plenty plenty?
Speaker 1: And will I do that ever? In the future of course, of course, and so this is not thing to panic about, but rather something to be aware of. And this awareness is great because it opens a door for you and I to start to think about and understand the reality and experience and mindset of others. Which, as I've said many times before, understanding someone else's version of right now, understanding someone else's thinking, someone else's story while not necessarily agreeing with it, just understanding it is an interpersonal superpower. So let me recap those. So Number one is life doesn't care about your feelings, doesn't care about your self esteem, your happiness, or your health. That's okay, because that's your job. Number two is, statistically, we ain't all going to end up in a great place, whether that's with our marriage or with our dough or with our health. But again, we're not going to accidentally just see what happens. We're going to consciously, deliberately and intentionally create the health state, create the financial state, and create the kind of relationship hopefully that works for us over the long term. Number three is that the path to success is often painful, messy, and uncomfortable, and that's okay. That's okay because that's where we learn, grow, evolve, develop, build resilience, understanding, awareness, competence, confidence, all that stuff that I.
Speaker 2: Always talk about.
Speaker 1: So pain, mess mayhem, not only is it part of the human experience, absolutely fucking fine. Number four, you can't do anything, well, you can do lots of things, but you can't do anything that you set your mind to. As I said before, you can do lots of things. But this whole notion of telling children that they can be whatever they want to be and do whatever they want, they can become anything. It's a nice sentiment, but it's not fucking true. So we need to support and encourage and love kids. Of course, build their stealth, self esteem, build their confidence, but also don't tell them things that aren't true.
Speaker 2: Don't tell don't tell.
Speaker 1: Craig Harper when he's ten that he can become a world famous singer when he doesn't have a good singing voice, or that he could become an elite endurance runner when he doesn't have the genetics to be an elite endurance runner. Could I become a decent runner for my body type of course? And number five was sometimes the people that are going to fuck you over, let's be honest, are friends and family. Sometimes the people that are closest to you are going to be.
Speaker 2: The worst.
Speaker 1: Sometimes not all people, one or two people. And of course the flip side of that is are always going to be also going to be amazing fucking humans who come into your life and maybe you don't even deserve them sometimes, but they just come in and they're awesome.
Speaker 2: They're a gift. They're a gift.
Speaker 1: And the final one that we just spoke about is that your intentions are not always someone else's experience. So yes, we want to help and support others and we want to say the right thing, but we also need to be as much as is possible. Theory of mine remember understanding someone else's reality as much as possibly we would to understand what are their needs, what will work, what behavior or what words will work for this person, what is their version of going of what's going on right now?
Speaker 2: Alrighty, team, it's been real. See tomorrow