Speaker 1: Apodjay production.
Speaker 2: We begin today by acknowledging the traditional custodians of the land on which we gather today and pay our respects to their elders past and present. We extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's here today. Welcome to the Grow and Glow Podcast. I'm Ashy, I'm Kiara. This is a podcast where we learn, laugh, and level up together.
Speaker 3: Let's go deep, let.
Speaker 1: The emotions flow, and find the lessons to Grow and Glow. Nothing is off the table with Grow and Glow and we're here to be your expander.
Speaker 2: Hello, guys, welcome back to the show. We're so excited. I feel like we're on a high today.
Speaker 1: We are before we get into the episode. Though, as always, if you have not hit that follow button, it really does help us. And we looked at our stats and this is just a little personal goal for us. Seventy three percent of you do click follow. We'd love to get that to eighty percent.
Speaker 3: So close, We're so close. It's good to set little goals.
Speaker 1: We'd love more of you to not miss out on any of our episodes and anything you do like this, it really does support us to continue to be out to bring you all of this epic free content, so.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it so much. So if you guys want to give us a tiny little favor back, it would mean the world one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And it takes you, guys, literally twenty seconds. Yeah, okay, let's get into the show.
Speaker 1: So, even though we're on a high, we've got lots of energy, we all need to rest. And there's actually seven different styles of resting. So we're going to tell you all about them and break them down, talk about the ones that we need more of and that we struggle with as well. Yeah, so the first one is a physical rest. This one's really obvious, but actually physically like resting your body, so not exercising, not getting up and doing everything, so literally allowing your muscles to recover, allowing your body to just chill out and have a break from doing so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sitting down reading a book, having a nice gentle stretch, just taking it nice and slow.
Speaker 3: Even getting a massage.
Speaker 1: It's one of my favorite physical types because it's like you're horizontal, you're laying there. I love physical touch as well, but they're actually like soothing your muscles to be able to really drop in and rest and massage is one of the main things that and acupuncture that actually fully forces me to stop. Apart from sleep, I fully fully stop. I'm so present, I'm fully in that like rest or digest beautiful?
Speaker 3: So nice?
Speaker 2: Do you struggle with physical rest?
Speaker 3: No good? I feel I feel like I'm pretty good now. I feel like I've got a really nice balance.
Speaker 1: Maybe ten years ago, when I was like smashing and bashing my body and all I did was want to be, you know, superlean and fit and strong, then I would And I think I was also like always running away and distracting myself from emotions too, so I'd keep really busy. Yes, and a lot of that was through exercise, even as a little girl, Like I remember my mum saying that I've always loved being active, but I remember not wanting to be at home with my stepdad. I would go and like do stair sprints and like walk around my neighborhood and just always be moving. Yeah, it just helped me feel safe. I think that's why it's always been. Back then maybe it was healthy and unhealthy, but now it's just such a healthy tool. But yeah, you definitely need the balance of your body always being on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so nice to just have a slow day every now and.
Speaker 1: Then one hundred percent. So that's one of them. The next one is mental rest.
Speaker 3: So this is.
Speaker 1: Really allowing your brain and your mind to actually switch off from thinking and doing and creating, like literally just allowing it, which things like meditation, breastwork, going and just sitting at nature and like listening to the ocean, just something with your mind doesn't have to be on. And I feel like in today's society we are just always on. Yeah, we're always on. We're always thinking of the next things to do. We're always thinking of especially mums, our mental load.
Speaker 2: Yeap, have I got this? Have I got that? What about this?
Speaker 1: Yet? To make the lunch? Just pack the bags, get clean clothes, do the washing.
Speaker 3: What's for dinner? Did they book the dentist appointment? Like there's just always something.
Speaker 1: And we're also caretakers, like for our partners and our friends, so we just there's always something to do.
Speaker 2: So true, and they recommend that every two hours we actually take a mental break. So I'm going to start doing this. I'm going to set a two hour alarm on my phone and it might have to give a take minup, set it for like ten minutes later, or if you're ready a bit early, give it a go. But just a minute, a minute or two, just like don't think, just we just breathe and do some breain. Just sit breathe for just like thirty seconds a minute. It doesn't need long, but every two hours to just like give your brain a break.
Speaker 3: You're going to set like five alarms a day to do.
Speaker 2: I think I should at the start and then hopefully it starts to become a habit. But I was like so easy to find, like thirty seconds. Yeah maybe you you the kids aren't there.
Speaker 3: Even if you're not setting alarm something that might be a bit hard. You could definitely do it.
Speaker 1: But every time you go to the toilet, like once you've done your wik Oh, that's just a.
Speaker 2: Good idea because that's pretty much every couple hours how.
Speaker 1: Often you go to the toilet, especially if you're a big water drink carts, Like when you go to the toilet, that's your time, do you weaed, but then just sit there for thirty seconds or a minute and just fully slow your breath down.
Speaker 3: Yeah so Gooday?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember when I when I was first trying to get better at slower breathing. I would do it like in the car, in any queue, like if I was in a grocery store or anything like in busy environments. I would use that time to practice in chaos, getting my breath nice and calm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and to get into a bit of a habit. And I still sometimes do it. Yeah, that's the mental.
Speaker 2: Thing's a good one. That's a good remind. Yeah. I definitely weave because when you're in the toilet, you're like away, Yeah, you wait till the moment's right, You're not gonna go, and everything happy, you know, everyone said all everyone' happy, Like, hey, now I'm finally your the twiter.
Speaker 3: It forces you. You have to go toilet. You can't avoid it.
Speaker 1: No, you make that like a new standard, new rule. You have to breathe when you go to the toilet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stop your thinking stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a challenge for all of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the next one is emotional rest. So but me personally, and I think a lot of us feminine females, we love to talk. Yeah, we love to vent. What Tony Robin calls it a meadow report, give all the details. Like most masculine men don't do meatow reports. It's like, you know, how day, Yeah, it was good. You know, they're very simple and shape to the point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And whereas where it's like, oh my gosh, my day started, the alarm went off, I went down here, then I spilt my coffee.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I bumped into this man. Blah blah blah. It's like every single detail, yes, so true. So yeah.
Speaker 1: For me, emotional rest is having someone holds space for me to get things off my chest and talk about all the details, all the feelings, everything that I'm going through.
Speaker 3: I really enjoy.
Speaker 2: That, and I think this is something that's really important to remember if you are going through a season of like healing. I feel like I, reflecting back, have gone through phases where I've been so emotionally attached to everything. But sometimes it's like, just give your body a break because it is really draining sometimes reliving things or you know, working through things. So it's so important to also detach and be like, Okay, for the next couple hours, I'm just going to try my best not to think about this.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't find that with coaching about you, but like if I have a really deep, heavy session with a coach. I'll need to allow myself a couple of weeks before I read book when I'm going through.
Speaker 3: Like the thick of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, reading every couple of days, have a coaching session because it's so much to process.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: I remember when I first booked my mum into this beautiful lady called Moira. I feel like all of my friends have her. She's incredible. She's the very first person that I ever ever saw for some kind of therapy. She does counseling and meditation and kinesiology.
Speaker 3: She's beautiful. But her sessions go for about three hours.
Speaker 1: Wow, So you do a lot of talking, you do energy healing, Remember I like cry a lot, and then she'd finish off with the meditation or sometimes fall asleep.
Speaker 3: But I remember being really.
Speaker 1: Exhausting, so like afterwards I would just be zonked out and need to go straight to bed. And my mum said the same thing. When she did one, she was like tied for a whole week, just processing it all in all land. So it's a really good point and detaching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even like after I went to the Ultimate Girl's Day Out. Yeah, like when I came home that weekend, I just rest, like I just got really slow because it's such a big, emotional, transformational, amazing day. But it's a lot of emotion, a lot of releases, a lot of releasing things. So it felt really nice afterwards, like it's just so nice to have a bit of a break again.
Speaker 1: Is the biggest Like I was thinking about this, like the hardest type of stress, Like, would you say it's emotional stress, financial stress, physical stress?
Speaker 3: Like what would be the biggest to hardest on for you?
Speaker 2: Emotional for me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think me too. Emotional then financial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 1: Sensory rest, let's say it for louder, for all the mums out there, do you see me?
Speaker 2: It's the noise, the screens, the lights, Yes, yeah, the noise, the noise.
Speaker 1: I feel like most mums can relate to this, right Yeah. I was talking to Steve about this the other day because he was trying to talk to me and the kids were going crazy with this toy and loud louder loud.
Speaker 3: And Steve and I talked to me. He's like, are you listening, babe?
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, but I literally cannot concentrate on what you're saying with that, and he's like, wow, it's so crazy. As a dad, I can tune out, but women biologically cannot because we are wired to keep them alive. And especially like in this day and age, we don't have the village there to help with the babies and with the kids, whereas back in the days, everyone's looking out for everyone's kids. For us, it's like it's stressful to hear the wine or cry, like I cannot switch it off.
Speaker 2: It's always just so many noises going on once, like the whining, the crying, then one TV, then this is still rolling over here. Then there's a kettle boiling, then there's a like juice a going There's just so many things happening that someone screens.
Speaker 1: It's just like, ah, it really is. We never have TV on just in the background. We'll always trying to have music, yeah, but even then.
Speaker 3: It's still another noise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I even find sensory For me, I'm getting more and more sensitive to like screens, so like my phone and my computer. Like when I have a big workday, I get a headache every single time. And I know it's my body, Like I know it's because I've had too much. But some days you just got to look at a screen. But when we come up here, it's quite a bit looking at screens. But then when I go home, I like go, okay, like have a break just because I get a headache.
Speaker 3: Yeah eyes as well.
Speaker 2: Well my close up for my eyes is fine. Yeah, it's just my far away so I think it's so you'll notice, like I always have my brightness turned right down, yeah, because that just helps with it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your headaches from that, but you can see why you would. Yeah, just like concentrating. Yes, yeah, it's the noise for me. I feel like a lot of mums really struggle with that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even a phone like sometimes if I just like I am getting a bit hooked on my phone, yeah I might okay put it down.
Speaker 3: Yeah we all need detoxes. Hey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a mum, I think we really value time by ourself in silence or in nature yep, and then like a digital detox. But it's so hard when your job is on your phone. Like our whole work, every business, everything we do is on our phone. Yeah, you've really got to have strong boundaries on when your phone goes away, Like mine's pretty much in the arbos is going to get home from work, I plug it in the charge in the bedroom, and then I don't think about it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But then I'm in this bad habit of like when I go to bed, I can't and I quickly catch up with my work that I've missed, like our last couple of hours in case stuff I've needed something, or there's an email from my manager or something I've got to get off or something I've got to send for approval. So then I get back into that work mode when I'm trying to go to sleep. Yeah, it's just hard to find the right land.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: High. Yeah, and it comes and goes, changes and shit.
Speaker 3: So true. I've had seasons I'm really good, and then seasons from like thicken work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and listening to our body and where we're at too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, life sometimes, isn't it.
Speaker 2: This next one I struggle with so hard creative rest, switching off from always thinking about just with work. I think, and also like I am a creative being. I love being creative even when I'm not like working. I love painting. I love like I just really love doing it. But then sometimes I'm like.
Speaker 3: I should just stop, Yeah, I should just stop, just.
Speaker 2: Be in the moment just chill or like I'll read or do something I don't know. But a lot of the time, I feel like I'm always like wanting to create or learn or.
Speaker 1: Grow and think ahead. A lot of our job is creating content. We're always thinking ahead of like making sure that we've got enough content and how are we going to edit that? And like create that, and we've got this brand to do and that brand and.
Speaker 2: We packed your right clothes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though a brand gives you a brief, you've still got to be creative on how you put your own authentic spin on that. Like it is a lot of brain power. And I feel like if I don't take sensory rest, it'll affect my creativity. We'll talk about that at the end. But you'll find when you hear about all these sevens, so stay with us all the seven you'll feel like you need more rest in some than others. Some you'll be like, oh, I feel like physical rest me, it doesn't really affect me. No, I feel pretty good with that. But sensory rest, I don't feel like I get enough. And I think that's just a season of having young children. Yeah, you know, our job and whatever. But yeah, the creative rest, it gets affected if the other rests haven't.
Speaker 3: Been on it. Yes, but I'm the same. I'm a very creative person.
Speaker 1: I love it, but sometimes I can have creative blocks, and that's where I'm like, oh, I need a creative rest and reset. Yeah, take a rest, and then the creative juice of stuff free flowing again.
Speaker 2: Definitely. And for me having like a just solo time and just telling myself, like, I'm just going to sit down and enjoy this coffee, Like it stops me from trying to like always create or do this or do that. But even like some morning so I'm like.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is a cute clip.
Speaker 2: Stick it up, honestly, but yeah, it's just trying to realize. Yeah, it's just trying to be like, can just be present.
Speaker 1: It's hard to because it's really fun, Like we actually really enjoyed creating content. So sometimes I do struggle with that creative rest because I genuinely really.
Speaker 2: Lie no, But it is still energy out, isn't it?
Speaker 3: One hundred percent of energy out?
Speaker 1: So that's why today we just wanted to like highlight them all so you can just have a little bit more awareness around them and check in, like every single day, you check in on how much water you've drank and how much healthy food you've had, what excise you've done like check in or where you need rest, check in on your nervous system. How do I feel today? Where am I feeling pulled? Where am I feeling drained? Whereas my cup over here feeling a little bit empty?
Speaker 3: And honor that. Yeah, order that social rest.
Speaker 1: This one is one that I definitely when I was younger, no idea about I.
Speaker 3: Was so social.
Speaker 1: I think, just always busy, such a social butterfly. I don't think I enjoyed being by myself, and I think once again, because I used to run away from how I was truly feeling deep down, and I think this was totally unconscious. I don't think I knew I was doing this. But I just loved to be around people. I always said, I'm the biggest extrovert, love to be out about. Maybe it was back then, but as I'm getting older, I definitely have less of that and less of a social battery.
Speaker 3: Alsos.
Speaker 1: All my friends that I'm surrounding myself with right now feel so good and they recharge my batteries.
Speaker 3: But I still need my solo time. Yeah, I still need my say good time with my family. I still need like to be out in nature.
Speaker 1: I look at some of my girlfriends, like Nadine, she's so social me makes you always were like, oh, I get exhausted hearing about her social schedule. Yeah, it's like during the week, people are popping around her house as a house that everyone goes to. But yeah, she'll have like Friday night, Saturday morning to do this, Saturday night at this and everyone's coming over for a barb to you on Sunday. And I'm like that is too much for me. Like I just I need my slow time on the weekends because the weeks are so busy. I like just like not having any plans and going with the flow and just so good chilling.
Speaker 2: I love solo time. I feel like it's something that is hard to come by sometimes being a mum, definitely, but I for off off it, Like I absolutely am in my element when I could.
Speaker 3: Get my own. Do you feel like the more you enjoy it, Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: I it And even like throughout the week, like if I end up finishing something and I have an hour and all the kids are at school and that I'm just like, I'm lapping this out. I've got a house to myself, like yourself, my gosh, I just really really love being with myself. I think there's just no sensory overload, there's no anything happening. You just like oh, and it's a really great way to tune into yourself and get in touch with yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as well as when you're busy with kids and sensory noises and work, like, it's hard to checking in. Yeah, you don't have the space to.
Speaker 1: That's being alone creates the space to see how you're actually feeling, and.
Speaker 2: Then the kids go down. You want to be if you're uppy, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: That time is so important. I look forward to that time every night. So good, even it was just half an hour, an hour, like, that's just the time.
Speaker 3: Hey. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the last one is spiritual rest, which is basically just connecting to whatever it is that you believe in, whether that be the universe or higher power. Good, that's it. So taking time out to connect and pray or put out manifestations whatever that may.
Speaker 3: Look like to you.
Speaker 1: That might be through meditation, they might be through doing cards, but just making sure you're staying connected to your spirituality however that looks and feels to you. Yeah, which is so different for everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is something really interesting that I saw as well. So if we just get sleep alone, that is not enough to restore us. So if you get getting a full, solid nine to ten hours sleep and you're waking up and you're still freaking exhausted, it's because one of these other rests is lacking, which is really cook. I think a lot of the time we think like, why am I so tired? Like I've just had a full night sleep. It's so cool to have these seven different areas to look at and be like, which one of these have I not been tapping into?
Speaker 3: One hundred percent?
Speaker 1: I feel like that I have to hospital. Remember, I was so frustrated with myself. I was like getting full night sleeps and I was like, I'm getting eight hours, how am I waking up?
Speaker 3: And this first time in my whole.
Speaker 1: Life that I've struggled to get out of bed early in the morning. I was sleeping into like six quarter past six, my kids up at six thirty. So just not doing my normal routine, which already makes me feel like flustered. Have that solo time but yeah, I was just waking up so exhausted. So it's so cool to learn about all of this and now to be able to really implement it all.
Speaker 2: Definitely an emotional rest, like that's a huge one. I feel like when we're so upset and emotional and going through a hard time, you get your full same amount of sleep and you're just like still so exhausted. So you're like, that's the biggest one for me. Like, when I think of times when I'm really being low or down, I just feel like I'm literally tired all the time. If I don't have a break, I'm snapping out of it. I was just gonna ask, what's the hardest one for you out of all those seven. It's definitely emotional for me too. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think emotional and then also creative.
Speaker 3: Emotional and sensory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yes, Oh gosh, I don't know. I feel like we're saying this. I was like, how is it like new mums they literally like can pretty much not tap into a lot of these most of the time.
Speaker 1: No wonder mums are so frazzled and so burnt out and so tired and sort of resentful because they don't like you think about just the traditional gender roles if the partner goes to work in the staying home with kids, like there really isn't a lot of time for them to tap out and be creative or have time by theirselves or have any quiet, Like really isn't. Yeah, it's non stop.
Speaker 2: It's non stop, and the sensory overload is just like.
Speaker 1: Huge with kids even when you're a working mum though, Like we always talk about this, like I go to work and Tala stays with our nanny, and then I picked Taja.
Speaker 3: From school and then come home.
Speaker 1: The moment I step into the door, she's running into my arms, which is so beautiful. But like that whole day, from the moment she's woken up to the moment she goes to bed, she's on my hip. Yeah, it's even going to work, like my brain's being creative, working with the team, being on organizing logistics, structure, goals, deadlines. It's on, and then from the moment you get home, it's on again until I actually put my head down on the pillow that's my rest. So it is hard to find those pockets of time we actually get to be by yourself and rest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Kur and I are getting pretty good now at tapping with each other. Yeah, yeah, quite often, and.
Speaker 3: It works really well. Guys are lucky in that sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we've got Reagan there still five days of the week she's at home with us, but it's just being like, Okay, I'm going to go take her out for.
Speaker 3: Chili, take it two days. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a juggle. But then the beautiful thing too, because we are both there is like sad Kurt can go do the drop offs and bring reeds and then I can like work, and then he can come back and I can take rigs. So it is such a juggling act.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean. The mums that are at home and don't have that, you just don't get that.
Speaker 2: Definitely, Oh gosh, no, so lucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, you've got that, or yeah, I suppose it's just if you don't have that, it's tapping in and out when your partner gets home space then but then it's like the crazy bath routine and bedtime.
Speaker 2: You know. It's been life changing for me is the crash. And I wish I did this when Kurt was working, because when Kurt used to work six I say, when he was working. He's still working, yeah, but I was doing yes when he was away six days a week, huge crazy hours. I was so nervous to go do it on my own initially, and I went and also worried to how Reagan would go, and she absolutely loves it. And it's just like little things like that, and even like with our craze, they're like if you want it afterwards, like go grab a coffee. If you only have a half hour work out, like grab a coffee.
Speaker 3: So like for mom, it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Amazing to be able to, like if you want to get a work out of it, or you know, go do a yoga class or a meditation or whatever you wanted, and then be able to like duck down and grab like a coffee and have a solo date just to like recalibrate.
Speaker 3: That's incredible, But it's.
Speaker 2: Just going initially, like the first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the big mainstream gym there was a big thing online about it was a Good Life members. I'm pretty sure they took the crash away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember Sky really posting about it because she was so upset because as a mum, that was her time and took it away. So once again it's like it's not an optional all gyms, but if it's there, if yeah.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, I was just too scared.
Speaker 1: Every gym should have it. Hey, when I used to own a gym, we had it. Yeah, so important for months. So important is that hour that they can like enjoy and put into themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even if you like go to the gym to just literally stretch, like if you're feeling overwhelmed, like don't even work, just go there and have a stretch.
Speaker 3: To put a podcast in, yeah, or meditation and meditate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've gone to the gym before and like done minimum and been like I'm fucking need a break.
Speaker 3: It's still putting into you. It's still putting into you. Yes, Yeah, so important.
Speaker 1: Alrighty guys, nice little short pep talk pick me up information, little bite sized pieces that you guys can implement into your life and we'll leave you guys with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I find this so fascinating. I've got so many takeaways from this. It's just made me realize and open my eyes to so many areas of life where it's like, oh I need to break a bit more there.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we hope you guys enjoyed and we'll see on faya.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.