Speaker 1: Apota Production. Welcome back to another episode about I a Bad Mom podcast but on Instagram as well. At am I A Bad Mom? For the lolls and the memes.
Speaker 2: Just literally laugh. I was lolling at myself actually at a few of the memes I put up. I was having a moment. I was like, I was on fire. Basically, do you ever have those moments where you're putting up like real good memes lolls? It's actually more on am I A Bad Mum? That I do that more than even my own personal one. Jeez, there's some good parenting memes out there.
Speaker 1: They're really funny because they're so relevant.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, this's so relevant, but people are so creative.
Speaker 1: It's just life. It's just living your everyday life. I take video literally. Last night I said to Amelia, I said, if you keep doing that, I'm to start filming. She was carrying on, so I started filming her. I was like, just wait, I'm gonna put this up on Instagram. I would love to imagine that. Imagine if you just started posting all your kids shit every time they have a meltdown, every time they start arguing or being rude or whatever. It might be just post it all.
Speaker 2: Actually this could go viral. Yeah, I think it would be the funniest shit to watch ever.
Speaker 1: My kids would absolutely hate that.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, my girls would die.
Speaker 1: Put that up and then sponsor it. Sponsored post put some money on it target their age group across Brisbane. Am I bad mum for making an ultimatum? I just absolutely lost it last week. It got to the point where everything came to a head and Jay and I were both on the same page with this, but we got to the point where I was like, you are literally the laziest people I've ever met in my entire life. So nearly sixteen years old, don't have a job yet because I don't want one.
Speaker 2: They applied for two, didn't they.
Speaker 1: They're like half ass And I even rach when we talk about what we should and we shouldn't say to our kids. And I know, if you're a psychologist, you'd be listening and like, you know, shaking your head and going what the fune we done? But I had a moment where I turned around and said, you do nothing with your life. You literally do nothing with your life, Like, think about what you do day to day? No jobs at home, argue over who's feeding the animals every single fucking day, every single day doing it. Half fash your homework, Just do what you need to do. Don't go to your job because you don't have one. And then you watch Netflix. So I said, literally, look at you, Look at you. All you do is watch Netflix.
Speaker 2: Don't they ever run out of shit to watch on Netflix?
Speaker 1: Because we got too many fucking subscriptions. And then every now and then I cancel them all, and then I got to watch that.
Speaker 2: The trial again.
Speaker 1: And the minute you cancel it, they go, oh, we'd like to come back half priced. I like, you could have made it half price in the first place. You really could have. But yeah, I'll come back because that's what we do, isn't it. And we just go back. I made an aultimatum, so I basically said, if you don't have a job by the time you're sixteen, so bearing in mind, this is four months time.
Speaker 2: Three months time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you don't have a job by then, your phone bill's cut off. So you don't have a phone, you don't have data, you don't have you know, snapchat, none of those things. Like it's going to affect everything. And like Jay will say, the odd thing like, what about when they get the bus home. I'm like, they could just get the bus home. The bus takes them from school and drops them down the road from home, they don't need to even need one. No, they just sit on the phone. Just really funny because I took their phones away from them. Oh yeah, from that recently, like I was done. I was like, no, no phones. And they got home and they said, we fell asleep on the bus. I was like, oh, you must have needed it, and you must have been If you had your phones, you would have been scrolling that entire time, but instead you actually fell asleep on the bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great, we got off the road. That was the first thing that came to mind for me. It was like, and then they end up three or four suburbs past yours because they.
Speaker 1: And they can't phone me because they have a phone, and I can't see them on Life three sixty because I have it. But not only that rage, but I've now enforced the fact that they need to get a job. Otherwise everything's been cut off. You're not paying for shit anymore. The other thing that I said was every day because a while ago, and we talk about this, you choose your battles, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, years ago I.
Speaker 1: Stopped making them make their beds because I was getting so frustrated at having to bang on about making the bed that it was making me stressed every morning. And I was like, you know what, I make my bed because I like it to be made and I like to get into a made bed at the end of the day. I also like the fact that it's kind of my first job ticked off the to do list in the mornings, Like, I don't know, just make the bed and it's done.
Speaker 2: Clean room is a clean mind.
Speaker 1: Yes, And if they don't want that, what are your problem? Not my problem. But now I'm like, no, the laziness has got to such high levels that you now will set your alarm so there's none of this. We wake you up at seven, you get out of it at seven point thirty, we leave the house at eight. That's not happening.
Speaker 2: Enomore.
Speaker 1: You have an alarm clock, old school alarm clock, no phones. You set that for six, six thirty whatever time sit. I started with six because I was like, I made them get the bus to school for a week. Yeah, you get up at six, you make your bed, you get ready, you feed your animals and you get out of the house and you walk to the bus stop.
Speaker 2: For seven that's great. Yeah, did they do it?
Speaker 1: Yes, for a whole week?
Speaker 2: Can we make it longer? Or that's so good of them that they did it. Yeah, the challenge on board, which absolutely displays the fact that they're very capable of.
Speaker 1: It, very capable. And to be honest with you, Rach like, it's inconvenient because now we're paying for them to get the bus to school every morning, but we still go that way to work, so we technically control.
Speaker 2: And cheaper.
Speaker 1: But it's just going you need to get shit together. You do absolutely fuck all.
Speaker 2: I love the idea. So if I'm going to like recap what we did discuss over dinner one night, your girls, we were chatting about it and they were telling me very excitedly. Might I add how they were going to be buying a car from the money that they earned this year, and you were going to match what they'd earned from their job this year when they turned sixteen, they get the car because they get their learners. Yeah. Now, if I was correct, I would say that we're about eight to ten weeks off of their birthday. So I'm gonna say, at this point in time, there's still jobless. Yep, so there's definitely no car on the horizon night.
Speaker 1: So at the moment, are they feeling matching nothing. I'm matching nothing. They've saved nothing, so I'm safely matching with nothing.
Speaker 2: Like this was the start of the year, wasn't it when we had this conbo, Like I was pumped for them. Yeah, I thought they were absolutely, Like they were so excited about the fact that they get their learners and they'd have a car. They were going to share the car, so they were both going to get a job and then put it all their money together and then you would match that and they would have like a forty thousand dollar car. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's great plan, isn't it. It's a great plan until you forget your part of the saving process.
Speaker 2: Job job, job.
Speaker 1: And what I said to them is because I taught them how to edit podcasts, which was great. They're really good at it. They're very talented at it. Like I can see that that is going to be something that they'll be, you know, really getting friend into. It's fantastic. Apart from what I realized is that I'm still handing everything to them on a plate, because what they were doing was they were going, hey, mom, we've organized to go to the Echo with our friends tomorrow, so can I edit for podcasts today? And I'm like, it doesn't work like that. I budget for producers, I have, you know, I don't just willingly have endless amount to spend just when you decide. When someone comes to me and says I want to go on holiday tomorrow and I have seven hundred podcast said it, No, it doesn't work like that. I said. What you need is a really shit job where people are going to stink to you, like shit. Yeah, that's what you need.
Speaker 2: You need to like clean some dirty dishes or like hospitality. My first few jobs in hospitality, mate, it was hard YAKA, yeah, hard YAKA. And I was only at the cheesecake shop. Yeah, that was my start. That was my first job. But at the same time, I remember working like twelve hour days on a Sunday to just try and rake in the sunday rates. Yeah, and as a kid, that was obviously not the most highly paid, but at the same time, you worked bloody hard for twelve hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I started six dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: They need that.
Speaker 1: And Emilia was like she's worked out the math. She was like, it's like nine dollars an hour, Like I'm going to literally get bugger all for a week. And I was like, yeah, nah, but I'll be so impressed.
Speaker 2: That's called life. At least you've got a great finish to the end of the year. I meaning you're not out of pocket for that's a positive.
Speaker 1: I like the ultimatum them getting the buses really quite inconvenient and it's expensive, but I'm willing to continue doing it. Do you know The funniest thing is it's one of those days, rach I stayed in bed. I stayed in I was feeling, well, yeah, and instead of feeling like I have to get up, No, I don't have to go to school today. I don't have to go to school.
Speaker 2: I don't have to get into the traffic and then sit in the traffic on the way to school and then on the way home behind you.
Speaker 1: I had the alarm beak when they came downstairs. I was like, right, they're down the way on the way. I had the front door unlocked and closed behind them, and I went to school.
Speaker 2: The very cluey, very smart girls. I know what they're doing. Late than never, better late than never, I say