Speaker 1: Welcome to Something to Talk About the Stella Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Sarah Lamarquin to your host, and every week I sit down with some of the biggest names in the country because when Australia's celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to talk about. The last time I sat down in this studio with Natalie Basinthwaite, I had no idea what would unexpectedly unfold in the course of our conversation.
Speaker 1: It turns out neither did she.
Speaker 2: But Nat had been quietly rediscovering who she was following the end of her marriage to Cameron, her rogue trader's bandmate and father of her two children, and as Nat would reveal, she had also found new love.
Speaker 3: I think I had internalized homophobia myself, so I was terrified about what people would say and think and feel, and you know, it still pops up every now and then, but that's just ingrained and growing up in a certain time when you weren't allowed to be.
Speaker 2: Months later, Nat joins me today for an update on a topic close to her heart, reinvention.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've evolved so many times and changed, like I feel like I'm a different person now to what it was three years ago to what it was ten years ago, twenty years ago. I look at that young girl and don't recognize her.
Speaker 2: From navigating co parenting without bitterness to basking in the glow of her relationship with Pip. As she heads towards her fiftieth birthday, Nat is taking on things she's never done before, including starring in a one woman show, Shirley Valentine. From Fear to Love and from Fame to laughter.
Speaker 1: We cover a lot.
Speaker 2: Of ground in today's episode, so let's dive in. Natalie bassingthat welcome back to the Stellar podcast.
Speaker 4: Still wrote at home here now, I know you're sure, have you and me a studio?
Speaker 2: I mean, the last time we sat down here was about sixteen months ago.
Speaker 3: On wasn't that long?
Speaker 1: It was the it was November twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Oh, it doesn't feel that long.
Speaker 1: And we're here for Wow, I.
Speaker 3: Love it, I know, can you believe it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And that look that was.
Speaker 2: Quite a moment and certainly my time of having the privilege of hosting this podcast, absolute standout moment, So absolute delight.
Speaker 1: To have you back here. You are a busy woman.
Speaker 2: You are in Shirley Valentine at the moment's been in Melbourne, really successful season. They're about to open in Adelaide. Just before we went on air, I'm in Sydney.
Speaker 3: I was going, what's it coming to say?
Speaker 1: What about Brisbane?
Speaker 2: So it's obviously been been a big kid. And of course for anyone that's not familiar with the story, Shirley is a housewife who feels very much stuck in the humdrum of domestic life.
Speaker 1: She's wondering what happened to that young party girl I used to be.
Speaker 2: She unexpectedly gets an invitation to a holiday in Greece. It is about second chances and self discovery and reinvention.
Speaker 1: On paper, your life.
Speaker 3: You're talking about me.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just going to say, I should really clarify because on paper, Nap Bass and Shirley Valentine Housewife don't look like there's many parallels.
Speaker 1: But when we talk about some of those other things, yeah.
Speaker 3: One hundred. I actually, you know, and I've said it before, but I don't know if there's a woman alive that doesn't resonate with Shirley in one way or another. And I think that's why it's been so successful for many years. Obviously, it was a play in the eighties, then a film, and then you know, now I'm lucky enough to play the role. But yeah, I definitely the reason why I took it on was it resonated with me, you know, and I knew it would resonate with so many people. And like my director said, though, it's not just for women, because you know, men find them see themselves in that character too, of where have I gone? What did I what have I become? You know, what's my next fifty years? Looking like like what's all this about? You know? And I just thought that was so beautiful, the story.
Speaker 1: It's so true because we used to call it when it was identified with men, you know, the midlife crisis, and that's been comes such an outdated term because first of all, forties, fifties, even sixties, people thinking.
Speaker 2: That less midlife now than like a little pit stop somewhere around maybe that the end of like the first or second act. That's what we're starting to think about it. But you're so right, it is that's a story that can really resonate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have there been times.
Speaker 2: In your life where you've thought as a teenager, as a young woman breaking out into the industry, in your twenties, where you've thought, Okay, it's time for me to have a bit of a reinvention, even if that's not necessarily the phrase that you use.
Speaker 1: At the time.
Speaker 3: Interestingly, I don't think i've realized that it's happened, but of course, I mean I've evolved so many times and changed, Like I feel like I'm a different person now to what it was three years ago, to what it was ten years ago, twenty years ago. I look at that young girl and don't recognize her, you know, And it's exactly what Shirley says, is where did Where's Shirley Valentine? And like, I look at that girl and I go, oh, I remember her totally don't want to go back there. Just quietly, I'm really quite happy in this life, this evolution of my life. And yeah, yeah, I resonate with her so much. But I don't think that there's a woman alive that wouldn't either.
Speaker 1: You don't strike me as somebody that would look back and think.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I really wish I could go back to my teenage years on my twenties. I mean, I feel the same, and I know a lot of other women do something that Rebecca Giveney and I actually talked about Love.
Speaker 1: That Women podcasts recently.
Speaker 2: I was saying, how she seems a really great example of someone who life has genuinely just got better and better as she's gotten older.
Speaker 1: And I don't mean that in some.
Speaker 2: Rah rah rah bumper stick away in a really profound way. And it sounds as though that's also something for you. When you look at your life journey, as you say it, you're not looking back and wishing.
Speaker 3: To really not looking back like I have looked back recently to go how did I get here? For sure? And why has my life turned on its head? And I'm learning about that and it's I'm figuring it out. Is the truth, you know? And one day maybe I'll get to tell that story. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, Shirley Valentine is a one woman show. No need to explain that. Everyone knows what that means.
Speaker 2: You're having a bad day, you're tired, there's nowhere to hide.
Speaker 1: How do you get match fit for a one woman show?
Speaker 3: You know? I who knows. I think I've figured out that I can do it. It was scary to I was just wondering whether it was possible, but I'd already said yeah, So too bad, right, You just have to make it happen. It's about putting the time and the energy into it and really being so familiar with the character, with the story, with the time and the place, and like it's really doing your homework and doing it for a long time. So I started like three months prior. I have a different accent, so I'm learning the accent, and then I play some other characters in the show, so I'm playing you know them, their accent. It kind of suits my crazy personality, I think. But it was really really hard. I won't lie the hardest thing I've ever done, hands down, but it seemed so far to be the most rewarding thing I've ever done because it is so challenging and to get myself into that space when I'm just beside myself, you don't have a choice. It's like you're it's like, you know, you are standing off that cliff and you're about to jump, and it's like here you go. You're going to sing or swim and everyone's watching, you know you just I mean, I have to take care of myself. I have to make sure that my health is in good Nick and you know, didn't go to the gym at all or pilates, which is not like me at all, but it kind of suited the character, so that failed, okay, And it was a lot of the time was keeping quiet because two hours of talking and crying and screaming and laughing and telling it like it's it was demanding. And also to reflect because the character dives into some things in her past that I resonated with and that's exhausting, Like you're constantly living her life, but there's this reflection of you in there and it's very draining. So I don't know, just keep going, keep going.
Speaker 2: And it's a good lesson in life, isn't it That idea of well, it's the old adage the show must go on when there's absolutely no choice. You do rally and you muster and you pull it off, and then you're proving yourself on those times where there is that opportunity in life all of us encounter.
Speaker 1: I think I could maybe just not show up here when you don't have that choice. It teaches you that you can get through whatever you have to.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe old school as well, like I believe you should go on, you know, unless you're like there's something serious going on. You should just you know, people have paid a lot of money to come and see you, and they're ready for that. You know. Yeah, it's so hard, but it's rewarding. And yeah, taking it back to day and day, I felt there was debilitating fear in my body, you know, like I felt like I was in the fetal position about a week before opening, going I can't do it, I can't remember it, And like, why would anyone write a story about like a perimenopausal woman, And then a perimenopausal woman is playing the role who can't remember what she was thinking about two seconds ago, let alone forty pages of dialogue? I'm like, who does this? But it's the most amazing script. I just yeah, I just had to. I had to do it. I had to dive in and see what would happen.
Speaker 2: When you come off stage after all of that, because, as you've talked about it, it's physically demanding, it's emotionally draining, and then you're getting this standing ovation.
Speaker 1: So it's the whole gamut of emotions.
Speaker 3: Do you come off and fall in a heap?
Speaker 1: Or do you think?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 1: What city am I in tonight?
Speaker 3: Like it, let's set out for I'm exhausted. I'm completely exhausted. I usually just like because you're full, You're on the entire time, and then you get this beautiful award of this connection with the audience, you know, and then you go into your dressing room and I'm like, and the week comes off and I make it comes off, and I just honestly just want to jump into bed. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a little bit about the accent you were saying, that's very demanding. Now she Shirley comes from Liverpool in the UK. You obviously are.
Speaker 1: A singer musician, so you have a good ear.
Speaker 2: We know that that can really help when actors are learning an accent.
Speaker 1: But if you've done many accents in your.
Speaker 3: C not like this, No, like I've always been I have. I have got a good ear, like I've always been able to pick up you know, the standard English, the standard American. But Liverpool. It threw me the first lesson that I had with the incredible Jennifer White, who works with Heather Mitchell, and like it's just she's phenomenal. I couldn't even say the word mother or bush, like my mouth didn't want to make those sounds, let alone the shapes and so three months of two and a half months of working with her every week, and everything was hurting at first, because it's like a new muscle as well, like my tongue and my jaw and my neck. Everything was hurting and I can't do this, and it eventually just She's like, you just got to be patient on a bit. It's like learning a new skill. You're not going to get it the first day, and as a performer, you really want to get it the first day because you feel like you're never going to get it. But it came and now I can just do it whenever, which is wild.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to ask if you would say something, whether it's character or just anything could be about.
Speaker 1: Like I haven't finished my coffee yet, right well.
Speaker 3: Yes, well I like a glass of wine when I'm doing the cooking today war but you know today I'm good to have a coffee because coffee is so good for you when you're really chatting like that, isn't it? Do you like your sada? I love it? Well, I love that it's nice in there.
Speaker 1: Oh so great.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean I'm clearly answering in my own one boring Australian accent, ask a little bit about reinvention before and wanted to talk looking back over the course of your career.
Speaker 1: I mean long.
Speaker 2: Before there was the phrase slashy. I don't know if they're still using that.
Speaker 3: You know, I want a dollar you Walter Lashy? Did you thirty years ago? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well that was fortuitous because that should really be upgraded, like from Dolly to maybe a Stellar award.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Obviously have worked across music or just talking about theater, acting in film and television. You've hosted shows, been on shows, as a participant on different shows.
Speaker 1: Is there I mean I assume.
Speaker 2: That there's a different part of yourself that you draw or tap into.
Speaker 1: For each genre. Is that true?
Speaker 2: And what have you learned about yourself over the course of the last few decades into it?
Speaker 3: I think I've realized that anything as possible, and I like a challenge. Clearly, I've always liked to challenge. I think life is for living and learning and challenging and being inspired and working with great people. And I don't know, I just I've never been show of going okay and then go oh, now how do you do it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Now, what you know and and it's really exhilarating and exhilarating to try new things and to see what you're capable of. Yeah, I just I actually love what I do so much, and the more that I can experience life in completely different ways, the better for me. I'm that type of person.
Speaker 2: I can't think of anything as an outside observer that you haven't tackled in terms.
Speaker 1: Of the possibilities of work.
Speaker 2: I mean, of course there's always roles and projects.
Speaker 1: Could that's right, is a lawyer.
Speaker 2: But is there something on the list or anything that is in the back of your mind that you haven't yet explored that you I mean, this.
Speaker 3: Is my first one woman play and my only second ever play in my life, so I've only done one play before. Obviously musicals and like, but just to be straight acting was a challenge. I think I've always wanted to be in a movie musical, you know. And I know that I just did Elvis, but I wasn't singing in that. I just played a tiny bit part or whatever. But like, to be able to actually be the performer in the film would be wild. I'm one of those people that if someone presents a concept or an idea of my next job, like I really have to take my time more often than not, like saying, with this play, it's like he's one woman player. I said, no, how does anyone learn that much? I didn't even know, don't know what happened a second ago. But then when I read it, I was so moved by this story and the emotion of it, and I felt like there was a similarity in my life of going, oh, you know. And I couldn't say no. I said, a lot of women men, anyone who wants to play a role like this to be given this opportunity, I couldn't turn it down.
Speaker 2: And up next, Nat on the importance of being honest about what you're going through and how she feels approaching her fiftieth birthday. I was going to ask about turning fifty this year. You are going to be turning fifty in September. You and I've spoken before about that. Last time we spoke, he said, the joy of getting older is that there's less pressure.
Speaker 1: I'm at a place where I feel.
Speaker 2: Confident with where I'm at and who I am. And also we're talking about one of the things that I really always love about you know, as you've always been very generous about talking about Yes, I'm conscious of being just first of all, a warmen because most women are thinking about physical appearances. That's a downside of getting older. Not everyone feels that way, but I like you am a really genuine believer in all the amazing things that come with the passing years.
Speaker 3: But we also know that I know everything's sacking skin of everything's drooping a little bit lower than it ever.
Speaker 1: You look amazing, you really really do. And of course you're on the cover of Stellar today.
Speaker 2: So no one needs to take my word for it, and that looks gorgeous as always. But I do love that you've been honest about that because I think that's a bit of a tussle with all women, but especially for women in the public eye, because as a fear of being judged, if you are vulnerable about that something that you think about, and if you don't think about it or don't talk about it, then everyone pretends.
Speaker 3: It's never the right answer, right, there's never the right kind of space to be in. I just feel like, as women supporting women, we need just to be honest because that's what shares that kinship. You know, like there's nothing and I might have said this last time. But they got to a space for me a few years ago where Instagram was just so everyone was so beautiful and so fabulous and had so much money and their lives were perfect. And it still does that now, you know. But I switched off like everyone that no longer served me, Like I went through this big culling process so that it was just people who inspired me and like I follow like poets and met like beautiful, you know, inspiring women, and like, honestly I do because then if I do get that, oh, I just want to flick, which we all what's happening now. It's like, bang, here's some positive stuff. Here's like a beautiful you know quote or a poem or I tend to get more of that stuff now because the algorithms the way that they were. That's a good hack. That's it's like, you're gonna still do it because it's part of our society, you know, you still kind of want to, like part of me wants to just get rid of it all together. But it's really good for work and it's a part of our industry. But I just think it'd be so much nicer if women were a bit more open and honest about their hardships and their you know, life isn't perfect, and everyone who says their life is perfect, it's not. It's it doesn't mean that they're not having a great life, but they've had stuff. Everyone's got trauma and triggers and you know, and the more that we share in that community, I think the better because it makes feel better about ourselves.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. So, how do you have any plans for fiftieth birth? Quite a few months.
Speaker 3: Away, I've started to plan. I started to like, I've changed so many times, but I was like, maybe I'll do fifty things before fifty. And then when i started writing a list of things, I'm like, oh, I've done that, and I've done that, Like I've hot air ballooned, I've jumped out of a bungee jump. I mean, i haven't hot air ballooned. That's in a couple of weeks. I've jumped out of an air So I've done some scary stuff. And then I'm like, I've seen, you know, the Pyramids, and I've like I've traveled. So I was like, oh, I've kind of done a lot of that stuff. The one thing that I'm definitely doing is my older sister and I and my Nan. We're going to go down to a caravan park that we used to go to. And I was originally thinking maybe I'll just rain down the hot entire caravan park and just have all my friends and kids and big like that. Now I'm just going to make up my Nan and my sister just for a night or two because we used to go there as kids, and that just really feels. My NaN's ninety two now and we used to travel around Australia with my Nan in a caravan, and I think that's something that I definitely want to do. But I'm really kind of vibing on whether this happens or not. I'm trying to find the right space. And I've seen a couple at the moment of having a very intimate dinner of like just eight of my best girlfriends who have been you know, the ride or dies for fifty years or forty fifty years, and then the next day having a beautiful picnic sort of thing with all my friends, all their partners, lots of kids running around, just playing games and dancing with barefoot in the grass. So you both at all you do exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a metaphor for life, and you should have it all because it's that intimacy of that small group, but then having that big group as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, why not a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I want to do yogurt and caw ceremonies and get on a horse and ride. So I kind of want a weekend of.
Speaker 2: Just you know, maybe fifty ways to celebrate, and you could come up with all of.
Speaker 3: These different you watch this space, so I'll tell you you posted. Yeah, I'm excited. It's it's nice. It's a nice it's surreal that I'm fifty, Like I keep forgetting that. That's you know, when I was eighteen, like thirty was so old, and now I'm nearly fifty. But it's just such a joy, Like I've never felt so comfortable in my own skin and in my own space. And yeah, I'm just I'm probably happier than I've ever been, which is wild.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. It's great. And also what a year you will have had by then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully by that point, Julie Valentine will too the whole country. So I want to ask you a little bit about International Women's Day as well. So, yes, you've had a birthday coming up in September, but actually at the end of this week, March eight is International Women's Day. Now, that's always well, I would know. Talking about social media, and in my former life as a columnist, I always had angry people. Sometimes sorry, don't get angry at me, men, but there was often a disproportionate number of angry men saying, why do we need International Women's Day, Where's the International Men's Day?
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah blah, bank your own day exactly, And.
Speaker 1: In fact they did. There is somewhere on the calendar. Absolutely they do.
Speaker 3: But I also.
Speaker 2: Think I would be happy if we didn't need it. But in my view, we don't still have equality. We don't have proper representation in the boardrooms, in power, we have a gender pay gap. The inequality can be even more entrenched among women of color, and obviously there's different parts of the world where the disparity is absolutely horrifying. I mean, I've asked an answered the question. Very obnoxious of me.
Speaker 1: Really, all we only care about is your thought.
Speaker 2: On that thatt the need for International Women's Day in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Five, I love it. We need it more than ever because even though there has been a lot of shifts, especially in my lifetime, you know, from the eighties to now, even like my teenage years, there's been so many. But there's always a way to go, always a way to stand up and be proud and have a voice and be heard. And we have such talented, brilliant, minded women and nurturing women, and like, I think that gets underestimated in the world of boardroom, in the world of politics, in the world of theater. I mean, you know, film and television and producing and power and directing, and it's coming though, you know, like you see the Barbie movie, even though it's Barbie, but you know what I mean, like the first female director to be like all of that stuff is just crazy to me, but it is. It's seeping through, you know, Reese Witherspoon having her production company and Jessica Albert having and I'm talking about my industry. But seeing this happen. It's slow and it's but it's happening. So I still think it's it's a chance to stand up and also not just you know, complain and be down, but also celebrate what we've achieved in my lifetime so far and what there is to go, you know, we're not there yet. We're going to keep going until. I don't know, why not keep going forever. You know, absolutely so much more equality that needs to happen. There's so much more I think, gratitude for one another in this space of being a woman and being proud of each other and supporting each other. So that's what I like to see for International Women's Day as well, is allowing opening our hearts, our minds, and our souls to be heard.
Speaker 2: That's a really nice way to put it, I think, and so true, having a bit more gratitude for one another. And I think also it's because, as you say, you're talking about your industry, and that's really important because we all speak to our own industries. But your industry of course, is also a huge cultural touchstone. It's about visibility and things like the Barbie movie and what we are seeing in theater and the music that we're listening to. That has a huge cultural effect on everyone. It shows everyone, especially young girls, what they could be, the opportunities you and I boast sport women you look.
Speaker 1: At and female year. No, sorry, it's very it's.
Speaker 2: I know, it's it's just for I'd like to think it's me.
Speaker 1: But it's just it's right.
Speaker 3: So it's so.
Speaker 2: Important that that visibility because that's also something that you would have observed and also been an active participant in, is helping shift the conversation around being grateful for one another, otherwise known sometimes as women supporting other women, and being reflective in a good way of how far we have come, but also not being shamed into not acknowledging that we still have a way to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's okay.
Speaker 6: Absolutely we can be great and also absolutely give us more that I wanted to ask you a little bit another actually milestone Rogue Traders Voodoo Child. You know, it's going to mark twenty years since it's released this May. I mean, we've just got milestones all over the place here.
Speaker 1: I mean, any any plans with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're rereleasing the track, which is beautiful, you know, and just such a yeah, full circle moment, you know, twenty years again. It just when you even said that, the last time we did think was sixteen. Yeah, like twenty years ago. There's so much that's happened in twenty years. But also it feels like yesterday. Time is such an interesting beast.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it is.
Speaker 2: It is so true, and especially when you've got a lot going on as well, I think, like because time accelerates, Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Then especially you've got to be in now, We've got to hold this space so precious too.
Speaker 1: It's really true.
Speaker 2: And I think also when you've got children, it also is a particular living breathing clock if you like every moment you see it, even if again you don't realize it at the moment, but I'm sure you, like me, have got moments where a child will you know, get out of bed maybe at two o'clock in the afternoon and you know, have their tenth bowl of you know, weeks not sponsored by week bix, just staying in my house. I seem to be going through like for one kill a week.
Speaker 1: Bix at moment.
Speaker 3: But you know, that's.
Speaker 2: Also a reminder every day of how much time can pass so que not even noticing so quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've definitely noticed that in the last well two years for sure.
Speaker 2: And as you say, I mean, it doesn't feel like sixteen months ago since you and I sat down, but I did the maths. I was like, CALCULU got to sixteen I'm a journal you know, Mats is a strong point that my calculations from November twenty twenty three to you and I sitting here the first week of March in twenty twenty five, sixteen months, because we had a really lovely conversation. I really wanted to end our conversation today by revisiting some of that and just checking in.
Speaker 1: Now that we've established sixteen months.
Speaker 2: Well, we've talked about everything, like a lot's happened for you professionally, But of course at the time that we were talking about, you and your husband Cam had separated earlier that year, and we had a really lovely conversation which I'd love to revisit, just about how the two of you had tackle co parenting. And I don't even feel like the word co parenting does justice for it. You know, you were living in the same house for a while, and that is it's such a helpful conversation to so many of us. I'm in a similar situation. I think that amicable co parenting is something that everyone aspires to, but to actually live it and hear about it is very rare, and I just would love to start by asking you about that side of things.
Speaker 3: We're really good you know, it's not without being hard. It's of course, like I'm not sitting here going, oh, we're so great, it's amazing. We're pretty good, you know. But very early on, like we decided to stay in the house for a while, so we only left our family home last April. I mean, I'm already in a relationship with someone and he's like, you know, like and it was really hard, but we did it for the kids because it was the right thing to do for them, and you know, we were just sort of tiptoeing around when that next time would be of Okay, now they've adjusted to us not being together. They know mum's got a partner. That's the new thing. Now, they know that we're going to move out of the house, and we just took our time with that. But also we met an amazing mediator. And originally someone had recommended this incredible woman, and for us, we just wanted the kids to be okay. So we sat down with her and she had this whiteboard and she was like, tell me about your kids, and we're both sitting there going okay, And we both talked together and individually about both our kids and well, what do you want for them? Like when they in five years time, and we both said, we want them to be happy, and we want them to, you know, be full of love and kindness. Do you want them to go to you need? Do you want them to We said, we just want them to be happy, you know whatever that looks like for them, And then she said, great, well for you. For them to be that, you guys need to get on really well. And this like and it really shook both of us, I think, into going, yeah, obvious, but it's really shaped have we've parented and co parented and supported one another through this phase as well. Like Cam's in a relationship and he's really happy, and the kids seeing us happy and communicating and you know, like us doing things altogether, it's it's really good for them and we're okay. It took a while, but we're okay. And yeah, if anyone is in the same bird, I totally recommend just taking being slow if you can, not everyone can. But also it's about the kids, because if you we don't talk badly about each other in front of the kids, you know, that's not fair. If we've got something to say, we'll talk about it between the two of us. Doesn't really happen anymore. You know, we just we've really healed from that sort of space and we've moved through to a completely different one. But the kids need to know if we're okay. It's almost like they've been gliding through it, you know what I mean, because they're seeing mum and dad be okay and being okay with each other's new partners and what that looks like. And we can all talk about each other's you know, situations and be excited. You know how people look at my new room, my enemy. Oh that's so cool. You know, I'm going with blah blah blah, And yeah, it's a really nice place to be. But it definitely took a while, of course.
Speaker 2: I mean, and of course, as you say, it's not like it's it's easy, because if it was, then everyone would do it, and we also wouldn't be the first generation.
Speaker 1: It's navigating this terrain. You know, only really.
Speaker 2: Twenty years ago, it was still quite the norm for a lot of separations, especially when children were involved, to be very adversarial.
Speaker 1: And again, I know you and I both want to acknowledge, of.
Speaker 2: Course, there are situations where that's completely understandable, but to have that intention with the children at the middle of it. And as you talk about that, writing things on the whiteboard with that mediator, as you say, it seems simple, we want our children to be happy. But I am also speaking from my own experience here. If that then sharpens the focus and that's what's guiding you sometimes in life, what sounds simple is just about refining what's actually important here.
Speaker 3: Every step of the way, because they're gonna you know, they're going to be twenty soon and twenty one and twenty five, and they're going to have like, really you know, serious relationships and how we respect each other, Cam and I like in our past relationship what we did have together and what we have now, it's different, but that will shape their lives in a much more beautiful way and their relationships moving forward. And that's what was important to us absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean, what a lesson that you have shared with them. Thanks, thank you for I really loved speaking to you about that last time. And I yeah, I think it's so important and I love that. Whatever we're calling it now, like I say, I call it co parenting, I call.
Speaker 3: It co parenting.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is, I think it's it's the more we can talk about it, the better I think.
Speaker 3: The hardest thing I think about the co parenting space for me has definitely been like we had this is the first Christmas we didn't have as a family, and even though we weren't together for a year or two before that, we still did Christmas together as that family unit, and it was time. You know, we've both got new partners, and but it was my first year without my kids, and it was the hardest Christmas I've ever experienced. And I was like a therapist is like, you know what, it's okay. You tell the kids it's the month and it's the month of Christmas, and you'll celebrate on different days. So I keep going it's the month, and then one day I'd be like, you know, hysterically crying, and then the next it'd be like it's okay, Like, well do our own day. And it was really hard. It was harder than I thought it would be.
Speaker 2: I can imagine, not to be glib about it, but I imagine that going through that the first time will be the hardest.
Speaker 3: And then I'm like, no, I'm good, Now that's next year they'll be with this year, they'll be with me. And then the following you, they probably won't care about Christmas. So I feel like I've done the hard and the blessing though again from the therapist was like, all you want is for them to be okay, because we're adults. We can handle being disappointed or upset or how hard it is. They had the best Christmas because they're with Cam's family in Melbourne for the first time in years, which they needed to do, and the fact that they're ringing mere going oh my god, that's that's what I wanted to hear. It doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.
Speaker 1: No, it's really hard, but.
Speaker 3: It's it couldn't have gone better for them, and again that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: You were driven by what you wanted for them, and yes, and I think also it's like those it's not growing pains isn't the right word, but every time that you're getting through something and you know you need to get to the other side of it, it can really hurt that it's a little bit.
Speaker 3: It's the first every first night is this is the hardest. And then once you've done it, you're like, okay, we did that. We're good now.
Speaker 1: So you've done that and that was a hard first way. I haven't done that first.
Speaker 2: Yet, so I really feel every word of that, and absolutely the first birthdays for coming out of that with their interests at heart, like I really do mean, yeah.
Speaker 3: I did go to bed. I was crying, Don't get me wrong. Like I had a beautiful day with my partner, but I was quiet because I'm just all like Christmas is about your family, and like without them there, it just felt different. And I went to bed just I just had to go to bed early and kind of cry and yes, go, okay, I did it. It's okay, They're okay. They have the best day and that's all that matters.
Speaker 1: YEA, good on you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've had a few Christmases over the years where there's been tears.
Speaker 1: I think just because someone got into talking about Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Because of Christmas. Let's be honest. He never quite works out how you think it's going to go.
Speaker 2: Always think it's all going to be, and it's like, oh now reality is intruded. So well then I wanted also in that amazing conversation that with you and me, and I'm pulling up with your quotes from last time we spoke about you and Cam and the co parenting in your two children, and then.
Speaker 1: Really took me by surprise.
Speaker 5: Because I didn't know about it to be by surprise as well in the best person the way it took me by surprise, I hope for yourself as well, where of course you then opened up and you said, I'm in a beautiful relationship with the woman who makes my heart smile and makes me really happy.
Speaker 1: You didn't identify your partner at the time, Pip. You've since yeah, shared a little bit of your relationship with Pip on your own platforms. But I really wanted to just end our.
Speaker 2: Conversation by going back to that moment, if you don't mind, it was well, obviously it was a very profound moment for you more than anyone. Only you can speak to that I know for me as I've used the word privilege I think twice in our conversation, but it was a privilege like in the most not.
Speaker 3: Really comfortable the truth. So you've always been so warm and welcoming. I think that's why people come on your show, but life felt very safe and talking to you about.
Speaker 2: It, and then the response was was really huge and at so many levels. Again, I obviously didn't see everything and you'll have your own observations, but it just felt so overwhelmingly positive. And I know even I was getting correspond so I can only imagine what you got from so many people that really felt seen from so many women, from so many people in the lgbt Q A plus community.
Speaker 1: How was that reaction for you over the months of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the most part, it was quite astonishingly amazing. You know, it did take me by surprise. And I think what I've learned over this time is that I've had you know, I have so many queer friends. I've had many queer friends since I was very young.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 3: I think I had internalized homophobia myself, so I was terrified about what people would say and think and feel. And you know, it still pops up every now and then, but that's just ingrained in growing up in a certain time when you weren't allowed to be you know, so much support. I mean, even when I'm doing Shirley, I have women come up to be going.
Speaker 4: Oh, story is the same as yours, Thank you so much, and I'm like, oh, okay, no worries, you know, like it's it's at the end of the day, it's just nice to be real and honest and not have fear around it. It doesn't mean I don't get scared sometimes, but that debilitating fear has gone.
Speaker 3: And it's beautiful. Like, yeah, I just I feel you know, I feel hurt, I feel safe, I feel connected. Peop is an extraordinary human, you know, and they've made me a better one and they get me more than I understand myself. I'm like, how do you stop being so right about me? I didn't you know, it's really it's yeah, it's been the wildest time in my life and it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: How are they feeling about it? Then?
Speaker 2: Because obviously you have been in the spotlight for a very long time, and when you decided to go public about the relationship, I know that separate from anything that I was privy to that obviously you were very mindful of bringing PIP into it, knowing that the whole scrutiny and exposure that they would be opened up to. How are they doing six?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, we probably need to explain why we're saying they because they identify as non binary, so they them, Yeah, they they're not. They're a shy human, you know. And I think the thought of it all was incredibly terrifying. At the time, we had, you know, photographers trying to find out where lived and trying to get that first photograph of Verse. And they even went to another friend of mine's house and followed them for days, thinking that one of them was my partner. And it was really intrusive. You know, they would park the car out the front and they've got a little boy, and then they made this story up about that was my girlfriend and that it was. It was awful. And but do you know what, they bought us some time because Pitt was terrified, and they just said, we're happy to hold them at bay for you, like they this article wrote, but this was my partner and they didn't confirm or deny, but it just it gave us time to like go, oh my god, it's gonna happen soon. It's they're gonna you know. But they they even knocked on my door my house and I at the time was living on an acre and a half. So they came down the pathway and knocked on the door and said, you know, can you and I said, you're not well, came in my home. This is my home, please leave, And again I think we were talking about this, there are kids involved in this story. This is this is more important, and then anyone don't hurt my children no matter what. So look, that whole time was incredibly tough. We got through it. We're actually so fine now. It's just like, wow, how did again? It's like looking back and thinking how intense that was and scary and debilitating and all of that, and now just to feel so happy and content. And you know, there's a line in Shirley Valentine and I think of Pip every night and it says, you know, when you meet someone and they they like you, they sort of approve of you, you start to grow again, you start to move in the right ways and say the right things at the right time. And I just think of every time because that's exactly how they've made me feel. They've made me feel hurt and loved and and they're the kindest human I've ever met.
Speaker 2: So oh nah, Yeah, Well, I know I said to you at the time, I was really happy for you, and I'm so happy that that feeling that you could speak your truth as you described it at the time has brought the lightness.
Speaker 1: No joy that it should.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that does cover up a lot of feelings because you're just living in this anxiety space for a very long time that you feel like there's love with this person, but you're also terrified to fully let go and be that vulnerable, you know, And now that all of that's gone, I can completely do that and be that and I am that. You know.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic and also what a great friend to allow themselves to be the decoy, if you like, just to keep the pesky perhaps at Bay.
Speaker 3: I mean they eventually, they were so hard on them that they eventually had They called me and said we can't have We're like, that's fine, just tell them to go away, and you're not the right person.
Speaker 1: It has been so wonderful to speak to you.
Speaker 2: I hopefully will speak to you again later in the year, because I believe in all your spare time, when you're not touring the country working on me, be another project, redoing Voodoo.
Speaker 1: Child, having beautiful relationship to children, kind of a busy life. You might be writing a memoir. It's just a tiny.
Speaker 3: It's the thing that's happened since meeting pip Is. I remembered how much I used to read poetry and listen to music and be that that woman with a big open heart. You know, I'd kind of shut her down for a long time. And I was asked a few years ago to write a memoir and I was like, hell no, I don't want anyone knowing my deepest, darkest secret. It's no way. And then since all of this and just rediscovering myself, not just in relationship with my girlfriend, but just myself, you know, like, who am I same as Shirley? Like who is this person? Where I used to be this person? And she's coming back to life again. I don't want to be her, you know, I want to be right here where I'm at. And I went, I think I'm ready and I've started, and I yeah, it's it's been the wildest ride so far. I had to like put it aside when I got Shirley because I'm like, I can't learn forty pages of dialogue and write a book at the same time and try and be a good parent and son mail a Liverpool accent. So I put it to the side for a minute. But now I know all the dialogue and I'm form the show. Yeah even yesterday, like I two days ago, I closed the show in Melbourne and the next day, I was that full inspiration and I'm writing like there's no tomorrow, and I can't wait to share it because I've had a full life. It's it's been. There's probably more in there that people have no idea about. And that's what I mean. Like life can be terrifying, life can be full of fear, life can shut you down, but it also can be beautiful and exciting. And you know, like I want to I want to write something that when I read books like the gena chic memoir is like beyond you know, like I love a biography, but like all these women like I love you know, Glenn Doyle, and I love Brennie Brown, and like all of these empowering women that have inspired me to tell my story and to tell it with vulnerability and strength. I'm ready for that.
Speaker 1: Well I'm ready for it too. I am ready to read it. So I cannot wait. Watch this space.
Speaker 2: All the best with everything that you have going on at the moment. Really lovely to have you back here in something to talk about. Studio Natt and Shirley Valentine will open at Her Majesty's Theater in Adelaide on the first of April and no, I mean huge success again. It was genuinely a triumphant season in Melbourne, so I mean, just just get it to Sydney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're trying to lock something in so watch this space.
Speaker 1: Thanks again, Matt, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Shirley Valentine will open at Her Majesty's Theater in Adelaide on first of April for eight performances only, and you can find more information in our show notes. You can also find a link in our show notes to watch a video of this stellar podcast on YouTube. Thank you for joining me.
Speaker 1: To I hope you enjoyed this episode
Speaker 2: And if you're not following us already, make sure to hit the follow button because we'll be back with another exclusive guest on Something to Talk About next week