Speaker 1: Hi, Christy casters.
Speaker 2: Now, as Paul and Hanson would say, if you're listening to this, it means that I'm having a holiday something.
Speaker 1: Can you believe?
Speaker 2: The holiday season is upon us and I am practicing the ultimate self care and I am actually going to disappear for a while. I'm going to try anyway. I'll probably be back here tomorrow. Please enjoy a few bits and bobs that I have collected over the year. I've had so much fun doing this podcast. I hope you've had a good time listening to it. There might be a few crackers in here. Pardon the pun. It is Christmas that you have forgotten about. Enjoy see you next year.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You and I worked for very many years together on breakfast radio.
Speaker 1: We did and.
Speaker 2: One thing that we really enjoyed doing and people enjoyed very much, was a segment called how very dare you? Absolutely and the best example of it was a caller called up.
Speaker 3: It's when people say things to you that are so rude you can't believe they've come out of their k cos they.
Speaker 1: Strip the oxygen from your lungs.
Speaker 3: You are you don't know how to respond because you're in great shock.
Speaker 2: You're in such great shock, and all that can come out is how very dare you?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Do you remember that one that the poor woman called up? She was, you know, a biggish person whatever, and she was pregnant.
Speaker 1: Can you remember, talent? Tell it?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember it as it comes out. And she was in hospital, maybe getting a check up or something, and a trainee doctor came in and they were that. Her actual doctor was like, do you mind if we, you know, kind of I do a mock consultation.
Speaker 1: She's like, yeah, sure, no worries.
Speaker 2: And then he turned around in front of her and said something like, now what do we do with such an enormous woman? How do we deal with a big, fat lady like this?
Speaker 1: And she was just sitting there on the bed, going.
Speaker 4: How very day you?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: I had a.
Speaker 3: Situation that took the wind out of my sales recently, and if you will indulge me, sure, I was coming back from seeing a couple of girlfriends and I thought, I'm a bit peckish. I'm going to stop at the fish and chip shop.
Speaker 1: Get myself something to it.
Speaker 3: So you know already that's a sad sack story, isn't it. I'm having solo fish and chips. I'm heading home by myself to eat them.
Speaker 2: You see, this is the difference between you and I when you literally when you said I'd gone to see some friends and I was a bit peckish and I stopped into the fish and chip shop.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's the perfect day. Okay, that is the perfect day.
Speaker 3: I just felt like a washed up old bag heading home by yourself requiring some you know, greasy food. Your standard order, by the way, oh, a piece of grilled fish and small france it small chips?
Speaker 2: What grilled?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Grilled? Well, I've got to I've got to keep it real.
Speaker 4: In some way, don't I Occasionally I tell you what I will have that I do love.
Speaker 1: You're dim, sim oh, steamed or fry right?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 1: Wow, oh my god, this is a really big moment for you. That s something there.
Speaker 2: You have said that, you have admitted that you enjoy something that everybody enjoys.
Speaker 1: This is big, great, great, I'm.
Speaker 4: Crying anyway, I want to tell you this story.
Speaker 1: Sure, so I ring.
Speaker 3: I would think I'll do a phone order so don't have to wait around. So I ring it hot, Yeah, what do you want to order? And I say oh, no, give my order, and then he goes, okay, thanks, hangs up, and I go.
Speaker 1: I didn't give my name. Oh I don't give my nap.
Speaker 4: Are they going to know?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 4: How they going to know? So I panic drove all the way to the fish and chip shop, got out. When inside went up to things, I did a phone order, but I didn't say it was for me, and he goes, oh, yeah, we know it's here. We keep fine numbers, you know, like we know people the locals that order we you know, we keep.
Speaker 2: Their phone numbers. Are you are you under sad, single drunk?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, great, yeah, yep. Yeah, so that's how they know me.
Speaker 3: Of course I said, oh, okay, all right, and I said you've got my phone number, and then very so coquettish, yeah, I know, I know, just thinking and I said, oh, we don't go giving it out, will You wouldn't want people getting my phone number, you know, having a bit of a joke, and then I sort of thought I'll just take it back a bit. No, went not that anyone would want it, and he looks at me and he goes, nah.
Speaker 1: But there was a time.
Speaker 2: I went.
Speaker 1: Very how very I was. I went, oh, Oh yeah, he goes here not anymore?
Speaker 4: Oh oh my, a bit of doubling down there on the insult.
Speaker 1: I just didn't know.
Speaker 4: I could feel my sort of heart rate rising, and then hot tears started sprouting, and I quickly grabbed my solo old lady order of greasy fish and chips and went and sat back in the ten year old Volvo and thought, is this what I've come to?
Speaker 1: Is this what life is?
Speaker 4: Washed up? No one wants my phone number, everyone's aware of it, no one cares, and I'm eeting about a year's worth of calories by myself.
Speaker 2: I want your number and I will use it. And I am not the only one.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, if you could send me a list of the other people that are happy to have my phone number, that would be really nice.
Speaker 1: Because I'd like to like look at it before I go to sleep.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you that the entire point of creating a podcast out of nothing was so I could talk to you.
Speaker 6: Oh, for Heaven's sake, I don't leave you, but I am appreciative of those kind words.
Speaker 1: I'm holding up your book right now.
Speaker 2: Have I told you the origin story about how I came to own a copy of do Walk by Libby Delana?
Speaker 6: No, I don't think you have.
Speaker 2: Okay, So my friend Zoe Foster Blake, who lives in Sydney, follows me on Instagram but knows me irl and she noticed, you know, three or four years ago that I was walking like a maniac and it was changing my life. And she said to me, have you heard of Libby Delana and her book?
Speaker 1: And I said, no, I haven't.
Speaker 2: And then, almost by magic, two days later, this book arrived in my postbox and I inhaled it. And I've never felt more understood than when I read this, because I thought I was losing my mind with the changes that walking made in my life, and all of a sudden there was somebody else. When did you discover the life changing benefits of walking? Oh?
Speaker 6: My goodness, aren't you lovely? I was about to ask you a question like no, this is her interview. I was about to ask you, what were those life changing things that you learned? I mean, isn't it powerful? It's so powerful? And thank you, by the way, those are very very kind words. And I feel as if walking is accessible, if we are very fortunate to be able bodied to a lot of us and it's a really powerful practice. So I started twelve years ago. Life was fairly grand. I was very privileged, healthy family, lovely career, absolutely nothing to complain about. But what I realized is that when I was younger, I was rather free reign outdoorsy, and that's where I chose to be. If you were to ask Libya ten, where's your happy place would be outside? And what I realized twelve years ago was I wasn't consciously making the choice to include that part of my life in my daily life. And so one morning, honestly, I sort of said, well, you know what, I'm just going to do that, Like brushing my teeth, it's a non negotiable being outdoors. And so I decided, well, what can I do. I can go for a walk and can get up an hour early, my kids are still asleep, go for a walk, come back and get off to work. And I guess what I found over the course of time that more and more lessons were revealed each walk. The way I like to describe it now, and this is a crude story because I don't play video games, or haven't I probably should at this point because I use this analogy, but my understanding is when you play video games, you are offered cheek codes or levels or passes, and the more you play, the more access you get to more I don't know, spaces and part of the game. That's what I feel about walking. The more I walk, the more I have access to I don't know. I believe they are life's the biggest lessons and it's only because I continue to walk that I have access to them. So if there's a day when I think, oh, I don't want to go, like no, no, no, it's not an option. It might be a shorter walk, it might be a different walk. But I think a lot of life lessons are embedded in a practice that honors who you are. And for me, that happens to be walking, and it sounds like it is for you. How did you start?
Speaker 2: I started because, like you, from the outside, everything was great. I'd achieved everything that I should have achieved. Beautiful children, lovely house, fantastic career. But I just felt like, I don't know. I just started to hear these voices in my head, like what's happened to you?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: You don't have any fun, you don't really enjoy anything. And at about that time it's so weird your story about you know, being ten and realizing that that outdoorsiness was what you needed to reintroduce to get back to yourself. At that time of my life, I found a photograph. There's almost no photographs of me. I'm the third child, you know, seventies, not nobody took any photos. But I found this one photograph of me at five, and I was so silenced by how familiar that person was to me, but also how far away that person was from me. Then I mean, it sounds crazy, Libby, but I would start talking to her, going, I've got myself in a mess.
Speaker 1: What can you do for me? What do you like to do?
Speaker 2: Because I had forgotten and it and doubt that as a child, I loved being on my own. I loved being by myself and using my imagination and having little conversations with myself. And because my life is so noisy and highly populated, I thought, how am I going to get any time alone? If this is what I need to do, And I put on my runners and I left the house, and I felt like with every step I was walking closer to who I should have been, should be And it's magical.
Speaker 1: It's just magical.
Speaker 2: I think a great indicator that you are with the right person is that you and your husband, Scott Marvel Caussidy make up songs about your relationship with therapist.
Speaker 5: Did we did make up a song Scott has? He likes to do repetitive singing. It kind of calms them down. And I was okay with that, Like, I'm like, that's comedians. That is what comedians are doing all the time, joke telling over, just trying to calm himself down by talking. And so he was so grateful because I guess many of his girlfriends had said, You've got to.
Speaker 6: Stop singing that song right now.
Speaker 5: And I was like, no, let's do it. Let's get into that song, Let's write new verses. Let's I'm trying.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of one of the verses that really made me snort laugh, And I just loved it because I do that too.
Speaker 1: I make up songs about my dog, about.
Speaker 2: My kids, and I mean it delights me and almost nobody else. So I feel like the two of you appreciating that is a great son.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is good. Yeah, there's there's something about it because there's a lot of little empty time where you can't share any new information with each other, like nothing's happened recently with Scott always surprises me, like he'll come out with some piece of information. I'll be like what. But yes, sometimes you got to fill the space with you. Listen, we sing Billy joel uh songs to the lyrics of turkey, like chicken leg.
Speaker 2: Can you give us an example of that, Maria, let me see.
Speaker 5: Jerky leg turk and leg at a chicken leg and a turky leg to jerk and a chick chick lig jerk and I can do.
Speaker 1: Leg.
Speaker 5: It's not good.
Speaker 1: And hang on, I'm hearing the tune.
Speaker 2: It's here and all wet dress and a party on your confirmation.
Speaker 1: It's that song, isn't it.
Speaker 5: You're a professional thing, Oh Maria.
Speaker 1: I am not. I just enjoy it in the shower. Gosh, haven't we had a lovely time.
Speaker 2: I'll see you back here next week for a few more highlights that you might not have heard.