Speaker 1: I'm Daniel James and you're listening to seven Am. Pauline Hanson's call for Australia to become a monoculture was meant to draw a line around national identity. Instead, it opened up a new split inside the Liberal Party. This week, the idea left Opposition leader Angus Taylor looking bewildered, unable to say clearly where he stood on multiculturalism. Andrew Hasty took the opposite approach in navigating the challenge presented by One Nation, launching a full assault on One Nation from inside the coalition party room. And as the right fights over Hanson's rise, a new party from two till independents is trying to offer voters another way out. Today news dot Com that AU political editor Samantha Maiden on a week of conservative confusion, One Nation pressure and the TiAl independence trying to turn disillusionment into votes. It's Saturday, Dune twenty seven, Sam, Good to see you again. Pauline Hanson spoke more about her infamous monocultural idea in a Senate speech this week. Apparently Italian pastor and Chinese takeaway our OK in the monoculture so eighties Icon's Paul Hogan and Norman Gunston a personal favorite. Bring back Paul Hogan and Norman Gunston.
Speaker 2: These are the essential features.
Speaker 3: Of austrain monoculture and there's nothing remotely exclusionary about them.
Speaker 1: And the soccer us are actually an example of the monoculture, even though it goes against everything that they actually stand for. Did that clear things up for you, Sam, because they didn't really clear things up for me.
Speaker 3: Look, I'll tell you what I think and you might not like it. I think that what Pauline Hanson is doing right now is really politically diabolically smart because she's come up with this word that dry progressive Australia, left wing Australia, absolutely bonkers, and then everyone comes out of their heidihold to debate it and discuss it. And I'm not saying you shouldn't do that, Like it's a free country, and I think it's legitimate to question our political leaders and what they say. But the more people do that, the more we're just everyone's talking about Pauline Hanson. So that's exactly where she wants to be. And so I suppose if you go looking for coherence and you know, like a policy agenda that is completely logical, right, Well, you're going to get sad and angry, and then the media is just going to keep talking about Pauline.
Speaker 2: I mean she actually started. I think she first said it in the press club, right, and then but then Angus.
Speaker 3: Taylor gets asked about it, he doesn't have a proper answer. On the same day, actually before Angus Taylor's press conference, Andrew Hasty comes out, you know, jumping into the Coalition party room with his war paint on and says, you know, I'd rather go out in a box than bend the need of Pauline heads and ruh like we're lo tazanakt right, and then elbows in Parliament accusing Angers of not being as strong as the memph Canning who of course Andrew Hasty and everybody's talking about Pauline, right, and that's exactly what she wants.
Speaker 1: Isn't the risk, though, Sam, that people are to get bored of it? Though? I mean we're still two years out from election. If we're all talking about Pauline like we are constantly at the moment after the NPC address, that will actually get bored over time by the repetition of it.
Speaker 3: I don't think that they're going to be able to maintain this level of support all the way to twenty twenty eight, right, So I think that they're hitting their straps at the wrong moment in the political timeline in Pauline had Hanson's favor, you know, like right now, they're raking in the donations, right that's going to help them build a really strong wat chist for you know, the fight that they're going to have in the future. But she's pulled out. I mean, I don't know how much she would have paid on those fire the live trucks, and then she's parking them out the front of Palmit House and then she's having the blues with the journos.
Speaker 2: So it's all very Trump esque.
Speaker 3: But I'm not sure that Wind is going to be in her sales at the right moment. That doesn't mean that like she wouldn't pick up seats at the next election. I'm sure she could and would and will, or that she won't prove a terrible problem for the Liberals. But I don't think that she's in the position to form government, and I don't think there's any poll that suggests that. And so I think that when people run around going Pauline Hanson is going to be the PM.
Speaker 2: I think that's rubbish.
Speaker 3: I think what would be really fascinating is if you know, if an election was held right now, she would emerge as the new opposition.
Speaker 2: Right and that would be wow, a big change.
Speaker 3: But I think the more accurate reflection of what's really going on in Australian politics right now is it's more closely aligned with the UK. So you're getting that thing where everything's divided a third or third or third. The Labor government is on a really low primary, the Conservatives are completely shot smatherines and don't really know if there are Arthur or Martha, and then you've got this resurgent reform UK under the Nigel Farage batter.
Speaker 2: It's really the same thing in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: It really is one of the things that this discussion around monoculture has done, as you alluded to, Sam, has really tie Anchus Taylor up in knots.
Speaker 4: People coming to this country must adhere to these values.
Speaker 1: That is what I want to see. We will discriminate.
Speaker 2: Exist with multiculturalism is the well.
Speaker 4: I don't quite know what you mean by that question, but what I mean, I can tell you what.
Speaker 1: I mean side step five questions earlier this week about whether he supported multiculturalism. What did you make of that?
Speaker 2: I thought it was a hot mess. You me clear, mister Taylor. Do you believe Australia should be a monoculture?
Speaker 4: You explained to me watching mean By They said, there's all these vague words running around. But I tell you what, the one thing I want all of us to share is those core Australian values.
Speaker 3: The problem that they've got is that he's trying to run all this anti immigration stuff. You know, like he's trying to say the numbers are too high and the quality is too low, whatever that means, right, you know, like, how does he come at, Pauline, you do support multiculturalism?
Speaker 1: Seems like I'm pretty stroke, but you wanted to find it for me?
Speaker 4: It's busy.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if that's a problem for you that you can't know.
Speaker 4: We can have people from all over the world, right, that is not a problem.
Speaker 1: Let me finish.
Speaker 4: Now you've got me going here, so let me have a Let me have a We can have people from all over the world, of all races and religions in this country, but they must share those core values.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much simpler it can be than that.
Speaker 3: It's a really tricky problem for him, But the fact that he is scared he doesn't know how to do it kind of makes me wonder a little bit as well as if he doesn't really believe it all. I just wonder about that, you know, because I think that, you know, Angus Taylor is an economic conservative. Is he really been someone who's like a ranging anti immigration person his whole career?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not sure if he is.
Speaker 3: And I'm even a bit fascinated by the Hasty thing, right because Hasty has run lots of anti immigration stuff, right, So when Hasty comes out and he's like, yeah, I'd rather get taken out in a box, So I'm doing it again. I'm doing my ridiculous persons. When he's so bolshy, like you know, like mum the barricades, you know, we fight one nation at dawn.
Speaker 1: I mean, he even came out and quoted Paul Keating by saying that he wanted to do nation slowly, more slowly I want to do There's a tremendously different approach to his leader. So are we hearing anything about Angus Taylor's leadership at the moment, given how bulshy Andrew Hasty has been this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I think that there's definitely I've spoken to liberal MP's in the last week who aren't sure whether Angus Taylor is going to go the distance. That said at this stage, at least they've got the brains to say, well, we're not going to neck him now, why.
Speaker 2: Would we do that?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: I still think the kind of problem with Andrew Hasty is that he's quite brittle, and he's got quite a thin skin, and you know, like he gets really offended when people criticize.
Speaker 2: Him, and I think he has had a really tough time.
Speaker 3: With the criticism that has erupted over the Ben Roberts Smith stuff. Like I won't go into all the detail, but like the short version is that you know, he was obviously in the seas he didn't like what he was hearing about Ben Robert Smith, and he tried to support people that were complaining about it and gave evidence in the defamation trial. And as a result of that, he's been attacked by Ben Robert Smith's mum, by Geena Ryan Hart and by Pauline Hanson. The ladies are ganging.
Speaker 1: Up there all Ben Robert Smith's mother in a way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm young, handsome, young Andrew Hasty is being bushed by ladies. I think he's going berserk about One Nation in part because of this male fragility issue that he's got around being called a trader. He loses his bottle and he's like, how dare you Pauline Hanson gang up on me with Gina about this stuff, like, I'm going to take you all out right, And.
Speaker 2: It's personal for him.
Speaker 3: We got up in the party room and talked about having to upgrade security because there are all these nutters on the loose now who are targeting him and his family and online threats.
Speaker 2: So it's really personal.
Speaker 3: And I think that he believes that supporters of One Nation are kind of drumming that up, and I think that's what explains.
Speaker 1: It still to come. Well the Tills new political party gamble payoff. Sam. Let's talk about the deal the government did with the Greens this week to get its negative gearing and CGT changes through the parliament. Is that the end of the debate, day of the text changes or just the beginning.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think it's the end. I don't think it's the beginning either.
Speaker 3: Like I think that they're open to doing more tweaks, and I think that they've made that clear. I think that there's a danger in all the color and movement and frothing that people don't really see what the government has done here. First of all, what they've done, which is really fascinating, is they've pretty much got an Australian consense on the idea that negative gearing had to go for existing properties. No one seems to be really arguing about that. That's actually a huge victory. That's a big change. It's something that's been debated for over a decade and they've got that through The CGT changes are messier and they're a bit more complicated. They've obviously made it more tricky by widening it out to take in shares. That's opened up a whole new sort of layer of losers. And you know, they keep having little things come up like the so called widows tax and stuff that they need to tweak. But the complete value of these changes is in the out years. But in the next four years, I think it raises about three point nine billion, about four billion dollars, and the reforms that they've put in, or the back downs and concessions whatever you want to call it cost the budget about three seventy five million, you know, when you think about it, four billion dollars over four years, not nothing, not huge, but the benefit is the better footage.
Speaker 2: It puts the budget into.
Speaker 3: Forever three hundred and seventy five million dollars in concessions, possibly going to be some more. There is obviously, though a concern that the one of the concessions the Greens of God is to delay the NDAs changes and have this Senate inquiry, and there's been these reports in the AFAR this week that that could cost up to one point five billion dollars a month. Now as a bit of a rubbery figure, right, because it's basically saying we could save that if we did it faster or if we implement it on the current timeframe. That is true, but also I'm sure there'll be reforms and changes and things that will happen to that as well, so it might not be quite that much. But you know, I suppose that's the criticism is the Greens they got their committee to spend longer pouring over the NDAs stuff. But there's obviously a cost to the budget if they delay that.
Speaker 1: We also saw the Longer waited Till party launched this week with Zali Stegel and the Leger Spenders Community Strong Australia. What do you think about that? Will they be stronger or weak? It together? Without the Independent.
Speaker 3: At tag Okay, I can't even remember. It's too many words. It's so blamonge. It's like it would have been better if it was just independent or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's just it feels. I mean, it's a bit it's a bit ratsheet. Isn't it like community? I still can't remember it. Can you tell me to gain Community Australia. Yes, okay.
Speaker 3: I think it's terrible, That's what I think. And like, all it does is make everyone go this criticism, which I don't think is necessarily fair. But you know, half of them are in and half of them are out, and half of them are like, oh, we.
Speaker 2: Wish them the best, but we're not joining them.
Speaker 1: I guess the idea is to give an alternative to one nation for those who are disillusioned with the major parties.
Speaker 3: But it was a really bad name and a really kind of like unclear agenda.
Speaker 1: Is there room for an oshen like that? Do you think whether it's these guys or someone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it wasn't run by people that she's the most boring name for a party on Earth. Maybe one Nation is really clear, right, and it's also one nation.
Speaker 2: Dare I say it mono culturalism.
Speaker 3: It's clear what they stand for and they've been around for twenty years. Community Stronger Australia is just it's terrible.
Speaker 1: Aside from the name. Do you think they're going to be able to cut through? Do you think there's a space for them in the current political landscape?
Speaker 3: No, because, Look, one of their strengths I think is that they're a whole bunch of different individuals, and I think that the strongest one of them is probably a Lego spender because she's got such an interest in tax and she's got a really I mean, like even if they were sort of more like the Liberal Democrats or something like.
Speaker 2: It's just it's so wishy washy.
Speaker 3: Look, I think they're great, don't get me wrong. Look, I think a Lego spender is great. I think a whole bunch of them are really interesting. But I don't think that this is smart because I just don't think it's very effective.
Speaker 1: Well, on that note, Sam, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Seven Am was a daily show from Solstice Media. It's made by Ari R. Richards, Anichus Bastow, Chris D. Gate, Crystal Color, Ruby Jones, Travis Evans, Zultanfecho Jr. And Me Daniel James. Our theme music is by Ned Beckley and Josh Hogen of envelop Bodier. Thanks for listening to seven Am this week. Have yourself a great weekend.