Speaker 1: Visploy Report.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Welcome to the Royal Report. I'm Caroline de Russo, coming up on the show tonight. And the world continues to react to Mega's Netflix series, and not in a good way. Prince William and Princess Catherine throw their support behind opposing sides at the Wales by England six Nations match and Jabrits have the right to protest the monarchy.
Speaker 3: Rale editor of The.
Speaker 2: Daily Mirror, Russell Myers joins me to discuss that later in the show, but first, I feel like the Royal Family has its groove back after a tumultuous twenty twenty four. It seems that everything has calmed and writed itself, and that's no criticism, it's just an observation. I'm still surprised they managed to achieve as much as they did last year, but the strain and the threadbare nature of the working Royal cohort was absolutely evident and there's no point pretending otherwise. But this year the Royal Family has routine vigor. There are smiles and it appears that there's finally a consistent strategy in how the Royal Family engages and presents itself and to be honest, it makes for a really good content. This week, William did a rare interview where he spoke about his relationship with David Beckham and his love for Aston Villa and the King Well. He practiced CPR.
Speaker 1: Ten eleventh, twelve, thirteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Sixteen, and he released his favorite playlist which included our very own Carl Minogue, as he launched the King's Music Room podcast. This will no doubt follow on nicely from the Queen's Reading Room initiative. On the more usual side of things, the family acknowledged Commonwealth Day. So this week has been a great mix of the traditional and the novel, the formal and the relatable, and all with great focus and energy. I'm sure they may be a smaller and lana Royal family, but they are well and truly back at their best. Joining me now is a Daily Express role report of Pandora Foresight and news Coop columnist Angela Mollard Pandora, The Prince Loves He's Football. From an engagement perspective, how important is the message at these sins.
Speaker 3: Well, it's every man's sport here in the UK.
Speaker 4: It's been around for god knows how long, and it's so relatable to everybody from every different part of society really, and the fact is he is supporting a team which isn't Chelsea one of the really really big clubs. And he did say that when he was at school he said, actually listening to my peers, I wanted to not be a sheep, which actually I think is quite reflective of how he is in his adult life and especially now in the.
Speaker 3: Position that he's in. So that was really interesting.
Speaker 4: And he also makes sure that when his kids are at home, he will ensure that they sit in front of the TV and watch it, and he really does hope that his son, one day, George is going to ensure that he does go there and watch it with him, and he has on a couple of occasions. Now he's a bit older and he can sit there for a full match, which is quite a bit of time, and also with cameras on him. But we did see some fantastic imagery of him in the last couple of weeks where he was sat there and he did get really enthused by it. So no, that was brilliant to see. And also I suppose for him, like any sport and you're really into it, gives you time to completely switch off. It makes you so much more relatable, it gives you a topic to speak about. And of course now he's got David Beckham on side where they get to text each other if he ever needs him to go to an event or anything for him now that he is an ambassador of the King's Foundation, and anybody in the UK knows how much of a huge legend David Beckham is. I mean he is quite literally the people's royalty outside of the royal family. So this is such a great friendship and I do generally think it is a friendship.
Speaker 3: Between them both.
Speaker 4: So yeah, extremely relatable and I guess another bow to William's public viewing image, I suppose, and how he is just getting it right at the moment.
Speaker 3: As you said at the start of the.
Speaker 4: Program, Caroline, they are just understanding the public and this year is no exception.
Speaker 2: And Angela, I think the King has just kicked off the year with the bang. We're the middle of March, but I feel like he's really molding himself into the sort of king he wants to be. He's got the fundamentals right, but he's also having a bit of fun. I think that's really important. Oh, I think you're absolutely right.
Speaker 5: He's everything just in the last couple of weeks, from global peacemaker to Kylie Minogue fan. You know, his Apple playlist is at the top of Apple Music's charts at the moment, which I think is really interesting. Why I think the question is why The key is we don't know if he's cured from cancer, if he's going to be cured from or he's going to live with cancer. Unlike Kate who has said that she is in remission, we have had no updates on his condition recently, and certainly there's been nothing saying that he has cured from it. So if indeed he is living with cancer and will continue to live with cancer, then I think he's very much leaning into what he sees as his legacy eraror what is this going to stand for? Is it going to be fun?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: Is he going to enjoy these years he came to the crown late He's now a seventy six year old man. What is he going to do? I think he's very much distinguishing himself from the late queen by being a hands on monarch. His interests are varied, you know, from music to climate to health, all sorts of issues and of course that Commonwealth Day Service where this is one of the key jobs of being monarch is bringing the Commonwealth together. And I think he is doing an exemplary job, as you say.
Speaker 2: Now another shock of a wake for Megan following the release of him Netflix series. This was the reaction on goggle Box Megan as in Meghan Markle, that's the one I don't like her. Now is this seriously her house?
Speaker 3: Hmm? Yeah, I assume, so this isn't my house. Wait what it's not even her house.
Speaker 2: It's not her house.
Speaker 4: Making candles out of bees wax from her own beehives.
Speaker 1: It's not her beehives.
Speaker 2: And while the candles set.
Speaker 3: Let's go make a beautiful cake. Oh my godness, get cake.
Speaker 2: What the hell do you know.
Speaker 1: What she's having? She's having a crafternoon. Do you reckon?
Speaker 3: You'd pay one hundred million for this?
Speaker 2: That's going to go on all the layers in between. Oh my god, this girl's exhausting. Wasn't just here In Australia, Talk TV also waited in with some satire.
Speaker 3: Welcome to my beautiful home.
Speaker 2: What do you mean it's not my home?
Speaker 1: Every morning I picked beautiful flowers from my beautiful garden, and I feed them to my beautiful children. So what if you haven't got a fucking garden. I haven't really got any children. Bees get me out of this soon. Now. I've always loved taking something pretty ordinary and elevating it, you know.
Speaker 3: Like my husband.
Speaker 1: It's so funny that people keep calling me Meghan Markle because it's Meghan Sussex now.
Speaker 4: Megan in Sussex, God Sussex, Megan Goid.
Speaker 2: Sussex Pendora, a bit uncouth. And while things have calmed down somewhat, the commentary continues. It just doesn't seem to be improving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it doesn't. I think she's kind of done a bit of an own goal here. She has to be open to criticism and commentary when she is going to be mixing in Hollywood and Netflix series unfortunately, and that is just something she's going to have to deal with and her team are going to have to deal with. She has opened herself up now to verging into the Hollywood era of Meghan, which I think is great. She's not slamming the Raw family as she is in this Oprah interview, which we've spoken about a few times. So I think she's getting it right. She's on the right track. But unfortunately how she has been advised, or perhaps the road which she is comfortable going down is not one which is very relatable to the ordinary person. As you said last week, Caroline, you know, is having bees in your garden with a beehive very relatable?
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 4: Are people going to have the time where they're working mums to be able to create bedside platters almost for their guests if they're lucky enough to have a guest bedroom, No, it's not. So she has to be open to this. But also she did confirm that there is a second series of this. But one thing I would question with that is was this second series already pre agreed by Netflix or is this just a PR spin to say, oh, because it's been so successful within the first few days, I've guaranteed a new Netflix series on.
Speaker 3: Top of this one. I'm not quite sure.
Speaker 4: I would question that, But what I would say is that we're still speaking about it. So if her PR strategy is let's get headlines, doesn't matter what they are, well, then she's successful if she can ignore all the negative commentary surrounding that.
Speaker 2: I think that's an excellent observation, and I would love to see whether that second series makes it. But one royal observer with a very very keen eye picked this up. It nearly lost my name. I mean, there's the loss of identity.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone in the world knows that Megan Micale has eaten.
Speaker 2: Jack in the box and loves funny too. Do you keep saying, Megan Mokele, you know him Sussex now Angela. Meghan shifted around a lot on focus and narrative. She was bound to come a cropper at some point, wasn't she.
Speaker 5: She was, And it's not the first time. We know in the Opera, Oprah Interview and the Netflix series that she will say things and then they will be fact checked and they're not accurate. And I think the thing with Megan is the first person she needs on the payroll is someone to actually fact check. She will have had creative control over this, and someone needs to be which is what would happen if she was working under the palace saying you know you said this back in twenty twenty two and now you're saying this now now. If you want to have credibility then you have to be consistent in what your responses are. But the thing about Meghan is that she's a shapes shifter, she's a hustler, she's always evolving. She's very Hollywood, less royal, so we perhaps need to allow her this. She's if she's going to be the next Martha Stewart and the next Gwyneth Pultrow, then she is going to, like those two women, be divisive, as Pandora has said. But look, I didn't mind the series. What I mind is when Meghan says one thing and has said the other thing. So that disingenuousness is the issue I have a problem with.
Speaker 2: And Pandora, we know that she's desperate to be part of Hollywood. But even within that in industry, you know celebrity chef Jameson Stocks and journalist and biographer Tina Brown, who's had something to say before. Both have had a go, haven't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not been great.
Speaker 4: From a commentary perspective, what I would say is there have been a couple of celebrity chefs or well known chefs who have looked at it, and they're probably.
Speaker 3: Looking it through a chef's eye.
Speaker 4: I've got to be completely honest with you. But Megan has never tried to say that she is a chef. But I do know that it does really ryle up of chefs when you try and become sort of an influencer around cooking, because you've not had the cooking training to do this, You've not gone through the school, you've not got the grades.
Speaker 3: So I do understand that.
Speaker 4: But again, on the same note, is she harming anybody from doing this series? No, it's so light, it's so fluffy, and she's not slamming the royals. So ultimately, in my book, should she be getting the amount of negative commentary that she's getting. No, I don't think it's quite justified. But would I say, could she reel back and get a little bit more, as Angela noted, perhaps a little bit more advice along the way, so that she doesn't trip herself as much as she wants to, because there will be people who will be scrutinizing absolutely every single word Meghan says just to trip her up. And ultimately, this is a multimillion pound deal, and I really don't understand how people can sort of commission this and get her to go ahead with it once it's not being really gone over with a fine toothcomb. It's just baffling to me.
Speaker 2: And that's not the end of it. Ather Angela a podcast about female founders. What do we know?
Speaker 5: That's right, Megan's got a new podcast. It's every day now we get a new Instagram update, don't we. So this is recollections of a female founder. She's going to be interviewing business women who are at the top of their game. Now there's a too pronged interest in this. She wanted another podcast series after obviously doing The Archetypes, which was generally regarded as a failure. Look, it got some viewing, you know, when it started, it was getting a million listening figures. But of course Spotify cast her and Harry at a Drift that was a twenty.
Speaker 2: Million dollar deal.
Speaker 5: Now Lemonada, who is producing this podcast, there is no way that Megan will be being paid anything like that. In fact, interestingly, this company did one of my favorite podcasts, which is Julia. Louise Dreyfus is wiser than me. So I expect high standards from this and actually a very good podcast. But I think what's really interesting here is there's a synchronicity Finally in Meghan's projects that the as Ever Brand, the Netflix show and now the Female Founder, they all relate to each other, they all talk to each other, and we're seeing what we hope to see now is her having some cohesiveness in her working life going forward and look, you know, let's see how it happens. I'll want to listen to this whether what we have to hope that it is not the me me, me we which came out from archetypes. She just constantly talked about herself.
Speaker 2: Let's hope. Ladies, Angela Mollar Pandora Foresight, thank you so much for joining us now coming up Royal leverters of The Daily Mirror, Russell Myers reveals how the Royals marked this year's Commonwealth Day welcome back and this week the Royal family celebrated Commonwealth Day, the day we're being acknowledge the association of fifty six independent countries, almost all which formed part of the former British Empire, of course, which includes a great nation of Australia. And with so much angst in the world, it's great to have fifty five other good friends spanning the globe joining me now.
Speaker 3: Is Royal Editor for the Daily.
Speaker 2: Mirror, Russell Myers, Russell, the Royal family, we're out in force for Commonwealth Day, and what was the King's message?
Speaker 1: You see her? Well, Hi there, Cole Well listen first and foremost. It was great to see the King and the Princess Wells at this year's Commonwealth Day service because obviously they had to miss the last one due to being diagnosed individually with cancer just within weeks of each other. So great to see them leading the family out in force. And it was a message of unity not only with the family but of course the fifty six nations that have come together to form the Commonwealth, the Family of Nations, it's often described are as and certainly you know in periods of war and distress. Certainly that's going on in Europe and the Middle East at the moment. And the King's message was extending beyond the Commonwealth, I think, and trying to get people to listen not only to the people beside them, but of course to their friends and neighbors around the world. And certainly we had the King's message this year was all about unity in trouble times and when you extend that to the theme of the common Wales which was to allow each individual nation to thrive on its own. I think we had a very rounded message for people coming together this year, and.
Speaker 2: A great unifier obviously for many of those nations is the sport of rugby and the Prince and Princess of Wales. I love that friendly rivalry they have for the Six Nations. We saw it again this week. Tell us about it.
Speaker 1: Well, big big weekend of sport across Europe. Of course, it was the finale of the Six Nations. England just lost out to France, eventually taking the crown. But there was a big, big game between England and Wales to try and get England into that pole position. They absolutely thrashed Wales. They were on a bit of a losing streak and they rode out eventual winners. I think it was sixty eight to fifteen fourteen in the end. So we of course had the Prince of Wales as the patron of the World Rugby Union and Kate as the patron of the English team, as well as a bit of rivalry within the household. They did attend the match together. The England team, being good sports, invited the Prince of Wales even into the dressing room to meet them after the game, when the Princess of Wales went down to see them. So I think, you know, great to see the Princess of Wales out in force again. And we're going to have a few more of these joint engagements this year because as Kate is finding her way back to duties after her cancer treatment, I expected that there would be a bit more sort of a support around the family network for her to get back to work.
Speaker 2: And she looked like she was having fun. Even at Commonwealth Day. She looked very happy and all smiles and great energy and I think that that is but it's been great to say for the beginning of this year. Now you'll recall the anti monarchy protests around the time that Charles ascended the throne. In one of those instances, it's been found the police acted unlawfully. So what was the reasoning here and what's the broader issue?
Speaker 1: Well, of course a broader issue is the right to protests, and I think that we're seeing this more with Charles his reign. Certainly it's something that hasn't really phased him. But a republic, the anti monarchy group has grown in numbers and they have grown in voice since Charles acceded the throne, and this harks back to September twenty twenty two, when the Late Queen I had passed away. Charles has sended the throne and there was a small protest going outside Saint James's Palace in London at the time, and a chat called Simon Hill, a trainee Baptist minister at the time, just walked past and said who elected him? And one of the police officers heard it and he was duly arrested and charged with obscene behead threatening behavior, which seems kind of ludicrous. You know, when you ever speak to to Charles in these moments, whether it's been members of the Commonwealth or people's right to protest, he's always said privately that people should be allowed to express their voice. And I think there have been several instances in the police's mind where they have been heavy handed with arresting people. We saw it during the coronation. They didn't want any disturbances. But Simon Hill has been apologized to by the Met Police and he's received two and a half thousand pounds compensation, so possibly a lesson for the police to not be so heavy handed. With these protesters, we're just expressing their right to protest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look for the protest that they were from my recollection, they were not violent or anything of that nature. There may have been others, but I didn't see them. But you know, we do have that sort of liberty. We do have the right to protest, and if it's not violent, I don't see why it should be an issue. Now. Still with the King, and look, he has been very skillfully engaged in recent weeks, and we have spoken of this in that soft diplomacy, particularly visa a Trump. He's come out in defense of the Canadians this week, which is not surprising at all.
Speaker 1: Really, well, no, of course he is a cook, of course king of Canada as he is King of Australia, and he's very got vested interests in the relationship between Canada and the US. And hinderbox it's been at the moment with Donald Trump firing off insults left, right and center to his Canadian neighbors, calling it to you know, the potential fifty first state of the United States, talking about the potential annexation of Canada. And this is very, very troubling. Not only two Canadians but also to the King as well. We saw King Charles meet Justin Trudeau, the outgoing Prime Minister of Canada, just a couple of weeks ago at Sandringham, and this week he was presenting a ceremonial sword to black Rods, which is part of his ceremonial duties as sovereign, and he was talking about the pressing matters which are interest to both parties. Royal sources were telling me that of course that would have involved the conversations between Donald Trump and Canada have called. Canada has a new Prime minister in Mark Carley, so it'd be very interesting to see the dynamic between the two men moving forward, something that King Charles is going to take very very seriously. He's got a trip planned their next year which will go hand in hand with a royal talk to the United States. So I guess that anything can happen. And certainly when Donald Trump is speaking, we're finding new things that he's angered about day to day, so I think there's something. The British government and King Charles will watch the situation very closely.
Speaker 2: I think they will, and I believe the Canadians ad for a general election towards the end of the year, so it will be interesting to see how that issue feeds into that election. Now on to the races, and it was like a royal family reunion this week at Cheltenham.
Speaker 1: What can you tell us, Well, it was Chiltenham, great fantastic race meet here in the UK. It brings out all the sort of celebrities and then people from the sporting world, fantastic festival of racing to experience by the royals as well. We saw the Queen there worked with some friends and her Rex's husband as well, big big horse racing fan Andrew Parker Bowles. We saw Zara Tindall there and caused Princess Anne was mixing with some friends and family as well, and it's going to give you this. I enjoyed this period of time because it gives the royals a chance to sort of relax before the busy spring period. Of course, we've got the King and Queen off to Italy in just a couple of weeks. That tour should be shaping up nicely. Apart from, of course, the Pope Frances his illness, which will possibly mean that mean that the King and Queen do not have an audience with the Pope. So I imagine we'll find some more in the coming days than that. But in terms of Cheltenham, great, fantastic, fantastic, see the roles out and looking forward to a pat spring schedule here in Europe.
Speaker 2: And lastly, I've only got about a mina. But Dane Perleith, former judge of the Great British Bake Off, she's no fan of the Duchess of Sussex. What does she have to say?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's pretty mildly Caroline, because she is not a fan. I mean some people, some people are, some people aren't. And certainly Meghan's new show with Love Meghan has been very very divisive, hasn't it. But Brually, you know, the baking goddess of our screens, has has said that she's not a fan of Meghan. She says she didn't really get the sort of touchy feely broadcasting nature of her show. She didn't think that it was altogether watchable television to just talk about what you enjoy doing with your friends. And I guess it has been pretty divisive for Meghan show, hasn't it. Whether you like it or whether you load that people are talking about it. Maybe that's just what Meghan and Netflix wanted. They're bringing it back for a second season that was recorded alongside the first, so let's see and well, let's wait and see what the ratings do, because you know, Meghan is a sort of towarder force at the moment with her show and with her new podcast, so I suppose, you know, people are still talking about her, so and that's that's that's got to be good for her.
Speaker 2: And well, we are definitely talking about it. Thank you so much, Russ and Myers. And that's the show for tonight, Thank you for joining us. Up next, he's Newsnight.