Speaker 1: This investigation was only possible thanks to subscribers of The Australian. For access to additional material connected to this series and all our investigations and news coverage, please search for the Australian subscription.
Speaker 2: Pushed nine to eleven's always kind of ugly sports car. He sort of like midlife crisis he type stuff. He had a Maserati once. I don't know where they all came from. I used to hate it because I was never allowed in them or to drive them. He had a white convertible nine to eleven. Just looked like the biggest stickhead in it, and he'd be driving around with my son's girlfriend in the car.
Speaker 1: If you thought Hamis couldn't stoop any lower, buckle up. In twenty ten, Beck Rose and married Hamish McLaren. The following year, her teenage son Jack started dating a girl from school. To protect her privacy, we've called her Jane. We've been in contact with Jane. She didn't want to be interviewed, but she's happy for us to use a pseudonym. Jane was just sixteen when Hamish first began taking her for rides in his convertible Porsche. I'm Greg Barrel. This podcast, Who the hell is Hamish? He's brought to you by the Australian newspaper.
Speaker 2: So was this gorgeous little wounded.
Speaker 1: Girl the beepshell here utter maask Jane's identity.
Speaker 2: Who came from a pretty messed up family situation. She and Jack got together when they were in New ten So that was in twenty eleven. First love, like, you know, first every thing for the two of them. They were fifteen when they first got together. The two of them got quite serious at the end of eleven and she pretty much moved in. So she to me she was.
Speaker 1: Just like my daughter, and wonderful for you having another female.
Speaker 2: Gorgeous and she really helped me with the house. Like I'd go to work and I'd come home and she would have, you know, folded the washing or started making dinner or cleaned up, and she was just and I thought, she just seems so happy. Jack was so happy. It was great. Hamish used to just kind of joke around and call her the dwarf and we'd all sit down and have dinners together and it just felt like happy families. I sort of thought, wow, like I'm doing all right, this is this is good. It wasn't too long after that that I just started to feel uncomfortable about the way that Hamish was around, being like a beach place. She might come up from being asleep downstairs with cozy bottoms and like a T shirt maybe with no cozy top on, and she's gorgeous and she's sixteen, and he'd sort of get the tetail and flick her balm or something like that, and just things like that just irked me, and I'd say to him later, hey, like, you can't do that, like that's kind of not appropriate, and he's like, oh, you know, get over it. Like she's just a kid. I'm just mucking around with her. It's nothing. I didn't like it. That relationships, that situation grew from that point, and he then started, like he did with the boys. He took her right under his wing with sporting stuff and going running and doing triathlons and all of that kind of stuff because he was right into it, as you know, yes, so he started sort of being her personal trainer.
Speaker 1: Beck watched all this unfold under her own roof with a sense of rising dread. She raised her concerns her three sons would take Hamish's side it was divide and rule.
Speaker 2: This is twenty eleven when they first met. Movie into twenty twelve, things started to get more full on with in year eleven and twelve she was studying business studies, which he thought was you know, just amazing. And he's like, well, I can help you with work, and I can help you, you know, help with your assignments and all of that kind of stuff, which of course she was like, fantastic. He introduced her.
Speaker 1: To HAMI said. He introduced her to a colleague in Sydney and had organized for Jane to do an internship.
Speaker 2: She's a clever girl and she's you know, she was a school captain. You know, she's going and doing all these like youth leadership courses and all of this. She's amazing. So that was yes, twenty eleven. Sorry, they just I just was suss. I can remember one time walking the beach access just across the road, and Hamish and I were going down to the beach. Had gone down with her sister earlier. I don't know where Jack was at work or something, and I got to the top of the stairs at the beach and I don't know what it was about this site, but I saw walking down to the water and Hamish just leaning on his haunches, just watching her walk to the water, and I just it just I felt repulsed. I was like, this is not right.
Speaker 1: There was something predatory about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just thought this is wrong, like something is not right. But if ever I said anything to him, he just told me I was a lunatic. You're crazy, like you're fucking imagining things.
Speaker 3: Beck.
Speaker 2: There's nothing, like, what are you talking about. She's a kid. Jack started saying to me, Mom, you need to butt out of my relationship and stop going on about her and Hamish. She's getting really upset, and so he was really cranky with me. He was saying, you need to stop saying stuff like that, Beck, because nothing's going on and you're crazy. So I sort of had everyone telling me you're wrong, like get over it, like you're crazy, and so I don't think I thought I'm crazy, but I thought I felt really I felt like suffocated with people nobody hearing what I was saying, and knowing in my gut that something wasn't right.
Speaker 1: The signs were not good. They had not been long married, and Beck and Hamish were in counseling with a well known professor of psychology in Sydney.
Speaker 2: I kept saying to Hamish, you know, I'm this is I feel really wrong? You know I was. I think I was trying to pull out of the relationship. And he would just, apart from telling me I was crazy, beg me like I love you so much, like you can't leave me? What about the boys? I love the boys? And he'd do this whole kind of dance of how amazing, Let's go to therapy, Let's go and get counseling. And so I said, okay, cool, let's go to counseling. So he found a guy in Sydney in gleebe so we'd just go down and have like a session every two weeks. And this went on for quite a few months, and you know, I got to talk about how I felt about and feeling like Hamish was a liar, and he would tell me a lot all the time, and I'd find things out and Hamish would sit there and he'd cry and say how much he loved me. And the Professor's like back, like, I really think that you're getting the wrong idea, like he genuinely what I can see here is a man who genuinely loves you, and you know, I don't feel like there's any like months and months and months and months of hearing that from him as well just gave Hamish more ammunition to tell me how fucked up I was.
Speaker 1: Hamiy should even manage to hoodwink the professor.
Speaker 2: I thought I was going nuts, and I thought I'm just worthless. Like there were times like I see, especially you know later down the track, when I'm working out how much financial should I mean, actually, because of all the loans he signed, like forge my signature on, you know, there were times that I was like, go, you know, I could literally I'd sit on a varada and go, I could fucking just hang myself off this and you know it would just go away. But then I kept thinking, they'll never talk, you know, how could I do that to the three most important things in my whole life. But yeah, it was pretty dark times and just feeling like no one would believe you.
Speaker 1: Jane was young and, as Beck says, Jess gorgeous, but Hamish had motivations other than just having a trophy in the passenger seat of his Porsche. So can you explain how you came to meet Hamish?
Speaker 4: Yeah, our eldest granddaughter was going with her with his stepson, Yes, Jack Jack. They went to school together like the high school.
Speaker 1: You'll recall Glenn Pickard from episode two the Miner from Mudgie. These are his good friends Rain and Peter Cross. They live in a stunning new house on the shores of Smith's Lake, not far from Bluey's Beach. It's a paradise. They worked hard all their lives to get it. Lorraine is a retired hairdresser. Peter and Glen worked alongside each other in the mines. The men were good mates and competed in long distance kayaking events. Both were fitness freaks. That was until Peter was badly injured in an industrial accident. A truck rolled on him, leaving him with a permanent brain injury. It affects his balance and his memory. Lorraine and Peter are also Jane's grandparents. They have a different surname. Their grandkids grew up in fractured families and so they took on much of the parenting. Two of their grandkids were twins born with serious disabilities. One died not long after birth. The other had cerebral palsy and died at the age of fourteen. These were Jane's sisters.
Speaker 4: We actually had the grandkids living with us because my daughter had a married married their partner that split up. Our granddaughter died and when she was fourteen, the one that had cerebral pausing, and when we built the house, it was one of the bedrooms her wheelchair and the main bathroom could go in and out. Because there were six children, four girls and two boys, and then the three girls, their stepfather said that he couldn't keep them. He had the two boys. Harriet had died by this time, so they came and lived here.
Speaker 1: So you took on a parenting role for your.
Speaker 4: Grandparents, probably, but had kind of that role right from the beginning because it was hard work. When Harriet was born, Gabrielle died, and her twin and then Harriet, she was only going to live four days, and then it was four months, and it just went like that, and each time that she had seizure she got worse. So it got to the stage where she had a track here, you know, in the stomach to be fed, and couldn't move, couldn't say anything, So it's constant.
Speaker 1: Lorraine and Peter, like Glenn Picard, had done well out of the mining boom and from Lorraine's hairdressing business. They'd invested heavily in property and we're planning to use the money to help put their grandkids through university and generally just give them a leg up in life. They met Hamies through their granddaughter Jane, at a local restaurant.
Speaker 4: The first original meeting was we went to a Chinese restaurant. They were there. We walked over and just said eloso. Were introduced in the conversation. He knew that Peter was trying to get back into his single kayak because he lost his balance, so he was trying to still wanted to do kayaking, So Hamish was kayaking over near the WRECKI and said come out and I'll help you. So that's how.
Speaker 2: We went there.
Speaker 4: And then the next minute when we got out of the water, etc. He said, you got a minute to talk.
Speaker 1: Hamish also knew that Peter was about to finalize his compensation payment from his mining accident in two thousand and four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's where it all started.
Speaker 1: And so you went out kayaking on the lake. Yep.
Speaker 5: He knew what he's doing right from the start. Just cond me No, I just said he had something coming up. It was real good investment. If I had any spare money, I could he get me in on the ground.
Speaker 1: What did you think of this line?
Speaker 4: Well, I just said to them, well, you know, we'll listen. You can come around to the house, which he did in min Crescent, and yeah, he just told us what they were doing and were at the time had an overdraft because when Pete had the Act, our bank manager got a five hundred and sixty thousand overdraft because we were in debt for six hundred seven hundred I think at the time of his accident, plus like payments and everything that we had to do so just to keep it till his court case came about. So I hadn't actually canceled that. So I just said to him, well, we'll could tribe with one hundred and fifty to start with.
Speaker 1: Hamish became part of their family, dropping in for cups of tea, taking Peter out for drives.
Speaker 4: Used to say that I was like a big sister to him because I used to say, lot, Grandma, because we're grandmother and Nana popped to so many people, and he said, no, you're like a big sister to me. He said, You're family.
Speaker 1: Returns on their money were eyewatering.
Speaker 4: The first meeting, he said that it's now the thing is, it's worth three million. And I just sat there and I just looked. I was actually numb, didn't say anything. I don't know. Sometimes along the way I think I had a gut feeling that was garbage. But anyway, the next thing was we got a phone call or he said that, I mean, I'm able to get more units. Are you interested? So we invested more money, the whole hundred five hundred thousand we gave him eventually, and then we eventually gave him the super and it just went from there to another mining thing. The last lot he said he invested it all into.
Speaker 2: He worked for.
Speaker 4: Golden Garb and Sacks Sacks.
Speaker 1: How much did you pay over the rain all told?
Speaker 4: All told, I think it worked out to be one point seven that we gave him. But see we'd sold our house in Lynn Crescent, which was four hundred thousand that we gave him, because we ended up selling all by the units to get up here, but we ended up having to sell the units anyway.
Speaker 1: During this time, Jane began traveling with Hamish down to Sydney supposedly to learn the ropes of the world of finance. Hamish promised her that a business in Sydney he had connections with would sponsor her to go to Princeton University in the US.
Speaker 4: All the teachers at school wanted to do, Oh, you should do this, you should do that. And I just said to her, you know, to be in finance, it would be a good thing for you to do, not knowing that it was what it was.
Speaker 1: Did you have concerns about her going down there with him or you thought it was you thought it was one of a good thing.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: I thought that would be good for her, that she would go to unidown there.
Speaker 1: Didn't think that there was anything nefarious about it at that stage. M hm hm. And she told you that there was going to be a Princeton scholarship.
Speaker 2: No, he did, didn't he He did.
Speaker 5: He took her over there, didn't he.
Speaker 1: And he took her to the US US and she.
Speaker 4: Took it to exam or something.
Speaker 1: He said. Did you have any concerns at that stage of what him taking her at US?
Speaker 4: No? They had a lady go with him. They had a well that's what what he said. A chaperone or whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 1: I don't think there was anyone went did she have a relationship with him as well?
Speaker 2: You'd have to ask her.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I mean that she's a seven annear old girl that stage. Yeah, that's pretty a barrant behavior. I would have thought for a forty eight year old guy, just a con man m because you know, she's very vulnerable.
Speaker 5: That's what he worked on. Everybody but vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Beck Rosen was not the only one who had concerns about Jane and her relationship with Hamish fashion designer Lisa Hoe did too.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 6: The story that we were fed was that was one of Beck's boys girlfriends and that she was particularly bright and that had a mentoring role in supporting her so that she could travel overseas for an opportunity to maybe study.
Speaker 2: Overseas at Princeton.
Speaker 6: I can't remember exactly which university was, but that they wanted to give her an opportunity.
Speaker 1: As it happens, Lisa Hoe has a holiday house up at Bluey's Beach.
Speaker 2: I met maybe twice.
Speaker 6: I remember one time when I was on holidays with my children and we were at home at the holiday house and he turned up. You know, in the kitchen in tow and they'd apparently been on a run, and she was apparently quite athletic, and so they used to go on regular runs together. And then another time when my daughter and I were having a manicure, and I don't know, he must have seen my car parked in the street and he's bounded in, bare chested, bare feet. The two of them looked as if they'd well. They said they'd been to the beach and they were covered in sand. And I thought, that's sort of odd. Sunday afternoon, you're with like this young girl and he'd been to the beach. This was in Sydney, in Sydney and Paddington actually, and I thought, well, why would you come and sort of present her to my daughter? And I like, I found that a bit odd.
Speaker 1: Did you think at that stage that there was something more than mentoring going on?
Speaker 6: I for the first time. Probably that's when I thought something doesn't stack up. I wonder if Beck knows about this, or is she comfortable? But to be honest, he kept Beck away from us.
Speaker 1: Hamish was skilled at keeping various aspects of his life separate. He would spread rumors and lies, pitting people against each other lest they get together and compare notes. As you'd imagine, the relationship between Jane and Hamish was causing serious problems in Beck and Hamish's marriage.
Speaker 2: That's really when I started spending a lot of time in Sydney with Hamish, going down to allegedly work.
Speaker 1: For This is the internship Hamish had supposedly lined up for Jane at a business in Sydney.
Speaker 2: And that it meant she was going to be offered at the end of her internship, they'd pay for her to do a degree at Princeton in New York.
Speaker 1: She expressed her concerns to Hamish. He brushed them aside, It's why are you.
Speaker 2: So unhappy for her? It's just just because Jack's not that smart. It's really clever. Like that's when he really started putting the boot into Jack, which of course made me even more furious and devastated and hurt. And he told me gave him like five hundred dollars and he started investing or trading for her, and all of a sudden, like she's getting handed kind of like two thousand dollars here and there to her at seventeen sixteen, who'd never had a haircut.
Speaker 1: Before One day, Hamish came home with what he said was big and exciting news.
Speaker 2: He said, I've got great news. The internships come through and he's going to go on a trip to New York to go to Princeton and do a walk through the university, and yeah, I have three weeks in the States. And I just went, like my stomach just dropped, and I knew straight away, and I went, be fucking kidding me, And he goes, what's your problem? Why can't you be excited for her? And we were sitting, all of us in the family and she's sitting there, and I said, I just was gobsmacks. I got up, I left the thing, and I went to a girlfriend's around the corner. He then came over because I'd said, this is happening, you know. I told my girlfriend he's saying that he's taking overseas, but he's not going.
Speaker 1: Hamis told beck that the owner of the business was going with Jane, and.
Speaker 2: I just think this is all bullshit, Like what is going on. He then convinced me it was all above board. But two days later he said, oh, can you believe it? I have to go to China at the same time that this trip is booked for the internship trip to Print University, And I said, are you serious? And he said, yeah, I'm just going to tell you this once. If you meet up with them, if you see her over there, it's it. I'm done, like it's over. He went, are you giving me an ultimatum? And I said, yeah, I am. If you do, then that's it. Don't come back. So then they all go off on this trip. He's away for two weeks or two and a half weeks. They come back. First thing I say is did you meet up with them? And he went I saw them for a minute at La Airport, but that was it, and I just completely lost it.
Speaker 1: Beck recalls the utter humiliation of having her son's seventeen year old girlfriend come in and lecture.
Speaker 2: Her and I'm sitting there balling my eyes out. She sat on the end of the bed. She went, you really need to stop interfering in my relationship with Hamish and my relationship with Jack. This is an internship. Yes we caught up with him, but you really have no right to make an ultimatum like that that you made to him. This is something you and I need to discuss with a glass of wine on the veranda. This was a seventeen year old girl who was my son's girlfriend, and I was just born and Jack was sitting there rubbing her back and I remember thinking, is this actually happening? Am I What is going on?
Speaker 1: That was shortly before Christmas twenty thirteen. Jack and Jane broke up that Christmas. They'd both finished school and she moved to Sydney. Hamish never really returned to the house at blew His Beach. He was living at the apartment on the finger Wharf at Willemloo, the apartment he'd bought with other people's money.
Speaker 2: I'd gone down to. There was a hairdresser around in Potts Point that I used to go to sometimes, and I went in to get my hair done and the hairdresser said to me back, you know that Hamish's bringing that your son's girlfriend, because because i'd taken that's where i'd taken her for a first tear cup. You know that Hamish's bringing her in here and paying six hundred bucks for her to get head done. And I was like what and he said yeah. I said, he's sure, and he's like, yeah. The white Porsche out the front, you know, drops her off, then picks her up.
Speaker 1: For years afterwards, Beck would be dealing with a host of dodger Carly says, HAMI should forged her signature. She and her father went to the Porsche dealership in Sydney. They spoke to the manager to try and sort it out.
Speaker 2: We show him the document and he goes, oh, look, I don't know anything about this and I didn't sign this. And they get the financial guy in who goes, oh, yeah, yeah, like I organized that for Hamish And we're like, who's this person who's witnessed it and he's just a kid at a desk, And they ended up saying, look, we just kind of work on a basis of trust with customers, like customers that we know. Hamish always told us that you didn't like coming to Sydney, that you had a bit of agroaphobia, so he even said he I think he even said he had supplied photos of you signing the documents, which he didn't because I never signed anything and it's rubbish. After that first one, we found about another three or four.
Speaker 1: Previously, we tried to interview Jack rosen Beck's oldest son, but he declined. However, after last week's episode, he sent me this text message, I've just listened to Mum's podcast. Amazing, thank you for telling this story. Already I feel better about everything. The podcast brought back up what I'd tried to push down and forget, and it feels good. Jack is about to graduate from a four year science degree at Newcastle University. On the weekend, I drove up to Newcastle to interview him in the bedroom of your sharehouse. He sat in his bed beneath the pink void past up. Jack's formative years were spent with Hamish. It's so confusing because in some ways, he says Hamish was a positive influence. Because of Hamish, Jack never took drugs or drank during those years.
Speaker 7: So he taught me how to surf, and he got me into fitness, like we do Trithlons together and a lot of boxing, like every afternoon we train, and you know, we built a pretty strong relationship on that, I thought, and I trusted him a lot through it and believed a lot of the things that he was saying, because he was so good at building you up and just you know, making you think that you were going to be all these things and that all these really great things were going to happen and everything if you just listened to what he said and you know, just followed his lead kind of thing. He just seemed like someone you could really trust.
Speaker 1: Jack said, Hamish came into their lives when they were all at a very low point after his parents' separation.
Speaker 7: And she was still getting over that definitely. But that's why I guess he was so appealing because she was in such a state and we all were, you know, even me and my younger brothers, like we didn't really have a father figure or anything like that, and he really filled that role.
Speaker 1: And then he was betrayed by his stepfather and the girl he loved.
Speaker 7: They were quite close, but I never I never really suspected anything. I trusted them both so much, and yeah, yeah, and they both were, you know, very important people in my lives, you know, which, like I said, I bestowed so much trust into both of them. I think it's just, yeah, the fact that she was so young and you know, didn't have a great upbringing. I don't it's it's hard, but I'm not angry or I don't blame her for anything. It's it was definitely like he was the one who had the plan, master plan, and she was just you know, a part of it.
Speaker 1: Jack says, when Hamish first sold the story of Jane's internship down in Sydney, he was very supportive.
Speaker 7: Because she was really smart and she was going to do great things, and she had a pretty shitty family life, and I think she saw the opportunity and I thought it was great because I thought, you know, she could really make something of herself, and Hamish has the resources to do that and facilitate whatever it is that she wants to do.
Speaker 1: And what did she talk when she went down to Sydney. Did she say that she was going into an office down there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did she say? She told me that she'd go into the office.
Speaker 7: She'd help with kind of little things like coffee runs and sitting in on meetings and just basically observing what they're doing and how they do things. But she'd always have these, you know, come back with these really nice clothes, or her hair would be done or you know.
Speaker 1: Jack has spent the years since trying to process what happened.
Speaker 7: There's so many stories that are you know, even just Hamish as well, like that, all the stories that he always told me when I was growing up and like that, I had even built models on are just I don't know if you.
Speaker 3: Know their fact or fiction or like.
Speaker 7: That's when you're developing as a person and you need like a role model kind of thing to base that off. And it's hard when it's someone like that because you don't know, you know, it's it's all bullshit, It could all be bullshit.
Speaker 1: Has it taken a while to kind of get over.
Speaker 3: Them, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 7: I mean when it all kind of came out, I was not good for a while, and even still I can't. I find it so difficult to trust people on both ends because of it as well, like a father, you know, role model, and then also my girlfriend, who like your first love kind of thing is so.
Speaker 1: Because effectively your stepfather slept with your girl.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they had an affair for I don't know how long, but we're thinking, you know, at least eight months kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Sometime after she fled Blue's Beach, Jack got back in contact with Jane. He needed some answers.
Speaker 7: I think I wanted to contact her because Mum was still unsure about everything and we just wanted closure and we just wanted to hear it from her voice. I guess even though it's not not that important, but it sort of.
Speaker 3: Was to us. Well.
Speaker 7: She said that she had just been having an affair with Hamish and he'd basically been grooming her, buying her gifts and taking her out, you know, it's nice sinners, and letting her ride in porsches and flying her to know the US and whatnot. And I know that they had a sexu relationship, and you know, they'd spend a lot of time together. It kind of shifted from Hamish and I are training and doing things all the time to doing things all the time, and it's almost like she kind of took that spot and.
Speaker 3: The spotlight.
Speaker 1: I guess, gosh, it must have been confusing for your mom.
Speaker 3: Righto oh yeah.
Speaker 7: That was probably the worst thing about it was the fact that he could infiltrate off like our family unit and turn me and my brother's against my mum. I can recall one occasion when I was sitting on the bed with my mom and Mom was making these accusations that had been sleeping with Hamish and all these things have been happening, and I just I thought she was crazy.
Speaker 3: I was like, what do you mean?
Speaker 5: Mom?
Speaker 7: Like why would Hamish ever do this to us? What you know, are you just getting jealous that they're doing things and that she's doing all these great things in her life. But yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Was really hard, It was all true.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I felt really betrayed and a bit silly, but I still in a way felt sorry as well, because she was only so young, and like I said, she didn't have the greatest upbringing, and I think she just saw it as.
Speaker 3: A way out.
Speaker 7: And as well because my mum took her in as almost like her daughter, like she'd look after her and they'd go down to Sydney together on trips, and I really loved that they had a strong bond as well, and that was probably you know, another thing that really really hurt me was the fact that she did that to my mom as well.
Speaker 3: Probably more than.
Speaker 7: How it felt about what she did to me, was how much she betrayed my mom as well.
Speaker 1: Jack says he's happy that finally Hamish's story is being told and that Hamie she's not the one controlling the narrative.
Speaker 7: I think it was just nice to hear that other people had felt a similar way to how we had felt, and also that our story was only such a small part of this bigger thing that has come out, which is so great that you know, all these people are coming forward and the story is being told truthfully, which is something that Hamish's never done. He's never told his story the right way, and it seems like through this podcast, his story is going to be told properly and he's going to be brought to justice, which is I think all that we can really ask for it.
Speaker 1: At this point, he's still working his way through what it all meant.
Speaker 7: I think definitely just the way that it hurt my mum because it took her ages to get over it, and just the trust thing.
Speaker 3: I find it still so difficult to trust people, especially.
Speaker 7: Especially you know, like people that I'm intimate with or I'm really scared to get close with a lot of people because I always have this thing in the back of my head where I think that they're trying to somehow, you know, play me or get something out of me.
Speaker 1: When Haimi spok from his mother, Jack tried to contact him.
Speaker 7: Once I found out everything, more more than anything, I just wanted to understand why, and you know, I wanted to know what happened and why he did it just for closure, and he just couldn't even give that to me. He's so spineless, you know. He'd happily talk to you about anything, or be there and comfort you when he wanted something from you, But as soon as he was done with you, it was just like he didn't exist anymore. You couldn't couldn't get to him, wouldn't give you a second of his time.
Speaker 3: I think I just I just really want to understand how how he works.
Speaker 7: I feel like I've moved on past the stages of being really angry at him, and you know, I just want to understand why and how he could do it, and like just what goes on in his head? How did he get away with it for so long?
Speaker 3: How? There's so many questions?
Speaker 1: So what became of the million dollars Jane's grandparents invested with Hamish? At one stage he told them that their investment was worth more than ten million. It was a lie. The money is gone and no one knows where. The damage he caused was immense. Firstly, he ruined the relationship between Jane and Jack. Do you think Hamuch split that up as well?
Speaker 4: Split it split them up?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 1: For a while, Hamish was depositing eight thousand dollars a month in their account for them to live on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it didn't last. Like I was continually on the phone after I don't know, maybe one year, two years or something after two saying we need money.
Speaker 2: And what would he say, Yes.
Speaker 4: Loss, it's coming, I'll get it. Da da da, Just things like that. I always had an excuse. I mean it was numerous times I said to him, right, well, you know, I think we'll pull out. The last time I said I'll have two and a half million, thanks, and he said, well that's not plausible. Sorry, Loss. And as if I tried, it would just feed as dribbles.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't he Yeah, bits and pieces here and there. Then in the end he wouldn't have a meeting with us. Always won the meet on over the phone. Yeah, what do you call it? You know when you can look at each other and yeah, if I meet with you, I want to be sitting at a table.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I've been caught on the highway. And it was always an excuse.
Speaker 1: They feel terrible for recommending Hamish to their mates, Glen and Vicki Picard.
Speaker 4: We'll still talk on the phone with them and Glenn often if anything came up or something came up in the paper. I think it was about Hamish. So he said, you know who's seen this and send it through, sends a message when it's our birthday, that sort of scenario.
Speaker 2: But we're all very busy.
Speaker 1: And what do you have left now? This us this house. Yeah, and you have to sell this house to downsize to be able to live.
Speaker 4: Is that that's what they plan. But over time we come back here when I come back, because we've been away for two and a half months up at our sons, and I look at it and I think, I don't know whether I want to leave. But you know, got to be sensible about it, because we're still young.
Speaker 1: How old you can I ask?
Speaker 5: Sixty seven sixty seven, Peter sixty eight, sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Right. And what of Jane, the Great Hope of the Great Lakes. Well, the scholarship to Princeton never materialized. Her grandma tells me she's working in a clothes shop in a town further off the coast. In a text message Jane sent me, she said, of Hamish, I firmly believe he will pay for all he has done.
Speaker 2: So it's yet eighteen birthday night he's my middle son and brother.
Speaker 1: Their band perform.
Speaker 2: We're a bit scared because it's a Facebook invitation and i'm security and adults.
Speaker 1: Tonight there's an eighteenth birthday for one of Beck's sons. It's a time for reflection. What a train wreck those Hamie shes were for all of them, Beck, her boys, Jane, Jane's grandparents, Varin and Peter. What they don't know is that none of this should have happened. Hamie should never have showed up in blue his beach with a beautiful woman on his arm. Beck Rosen should never have fallen in love with a guy who had run off with Jack's sweetheart. Jane should have finished university by now instead of being lied to about Princeton. Glenn Picard should be kayaking down the coast and then enjoying a beer overlooking the water with his wife Vicky. Tracy Hall should never have woken one morning to find out the man she loved existed. He manipulated and deceived them all. But it should never have happened. Why Because HAMI should have been in jail In two thousand and seven, the New South Wales Fraud Squad and the Australian Federal Police will sent a bundle of documents. The covering letter outlined more than twenty million dollars worth of fraud committed by Hamish Watson in the late nineties and early two thousands. One of Hamish's victims had spent years compiling evidence of his crimes. This should have been the outline of a solid brief of evidence that would have put him behind bars for years, but Hamish slipped the net yet again. Who the Hell Is Hamish's brought to you by The Australian newspaper. It was written and presented by me Greg Barer and produced by Nicholas Adams Jazzbar. The executive producer is Eric George. If you know more about Hamish, please contact us at Hamish Podcast at the Australian dot com dot au. You can subscribe to this series in your podcast app of choice to keep track of all future episodes. To learn more about our investigation, head to who the Hell Is Hamish dot com dot au. They will also find additional material, including this week's bonus episode, an extended interview with Jack Rosen. If issues in this episode have cause distress, please call a lifeline on one three double one one four