Speaker 1: If you have particularly traumatic experiences, intense experiences around violence, you know, emergency situations, being trapped, terror situations, like stressful situations, to sit with those feelings in theory, you're sitting there and you're creating space for them, and it's a lovely experience and you're very calm, but often your body doesn't know that that's a very calming, safe experience. To sit there and to deliberately look at it can retraumatize people.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 3: Before we get into this week's podcast, we got a pretty cool announcement to Mike.
Speaker 4: You are and I able to connect with us. We have a pretty cool little widget that's on the website. Just go to polteilor dot beiz Forwards Life podcast and near the top of the piers, you'll see a little icon that says send a message to the Poul Taylor podcast.
Speaker 3: And so what we can do with that you just click on that and then you send us an audio message and we will get the audio message.
Speaker 5: Now, the first thing I want to do with.
Speaker 3: Using it is actually do and ask me anything episode. So all you got to do if you got a question that we want me to cover is just go to Paul Taylor dot b is z Forward Slash Podcast and on start the recording, and then send us a message about what you would like me to talk about and they ask me anything and leave your name. We will call it out on the show. I'll get that all put together. And the other thing you can do is just leave us a message about what you like about the podcast, what you don't like about the podcast day I talk too much, all of that sort of stuff, and just give us some feedback and we will use that to continuously improve. So looking forward to hearing from you now I hover the podcast.
Speaker 5: Megan Flamer, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 6: Lovely to be here.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: You have a pretty eclectic background, I think we should say so you kind of a journalist by tread and broadcasting and a bit of a jazz singer as well, I know in.
Speaker 6: The shower now a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, So talk us through that background before we get into what you're doing. Ni.
Speaker 6: Yes, so yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I started broadcasting at the West Australia Academy of Performing Arts and then started working with the ABC when I was reasonably young. So spent sort of ten fifteen years working in and around the ABC and working you know. As an emergency services broadcaster, I covered a lot of bushfires and international emergencies, and I was one of the journalists who covered the Black Saturday bushfires Wow Yeah, And.
Speaker 6: I was working for local radio.
Speaker 1: I'd also been working for a program called The Country Hour, so Digioneral and Rural Australia, and was quite involved with those communities that were affected and also quite traumatized.
Speaker 6: By the experience of it.
Speaker 1: And I was already what I like to call hippie adjacent when that happened.
Speaker 8: I'd done my yoga, Yes, I've done my yoga teacher training, I was doing, you know, my mindfulness teacher training and was really interested in that area.
Speaker 1: And then realize when it kind of came down to it, not that you can't sort of take yourself off in an emergency situation or a fire situation to take a quite few moments, but in the case of PTSD, you know, mindfulness meditation can often be contraindicated as well.
Speaker 6: So I found that the things that I've.
Speaker 1: Been using to support my stress relief and stress management suddenly didn't work for me. And so I got really obsessed with what actually works for people when they've had traumatic pasts or you know, are in current really difficult situations, and became really obsessed by that question and then have spent the last fifteen years of exploring that, like working with people who are in really stressful environments, have really intense or stressful jobs in Asia, in the US, and then back here in Australia. I moved back here in twenty eighteen after a decade overseas.
Speaker 5: And you spent by the time in Silicon Valley, didn't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I was based out of San Francisco, so I guess I went via Asia. So after So two thousand and nine was the Bush Buyers, and then that same year I moved up to Bangkok and I was working for a journalist up there and started a company there where I was, you know, kind of exploring these things, you know, looking at mindfulness and how to de stress people as well as as one can. I think with retreats, what I was hoping is people would come and have these transformative experiences and then they go back to their lives all transformed. And I realized very quickly you go and you have the transformative experience, and then you go back to life as it is like there's still life.
Speaker 6: And bills and all the city things.
Speaker 1: So I spent a lot of time over the next five years traveling around the world and teaching these retreats, but noticing more and more again that people are not really connecting with the practices of well being in their normal lives. They're not figuring out how they can apply those in everyday life. It's more we're taking a week out and we're escaping and going somewhere beautiful and sunny in the jungle, and then you kind of go back to business as usual. And so part of me moving to San Francisco was people starting to talk to me more about like, what would this look like in an organization? How do we start making those shifts? And I got really lucky. When I first moved to San Francisco, I was working with a company that does game design, and I met a few people who were working at Google and they were looking for someone to come and give a talk about, you know, kind of journalists to have to look at traumatic images, and a lot of these lawyers that they had at Google were looking at traumatic images as they were teaching algorithms. Is this kind of early day, It's like twenty fourteen, and so these lawyers are kind of, you know, looking at this information and they're quite disturbed by it. And so I gave a talk there and then they became one of my first clients, which was really great.
Speaker 5: It's a pretty good first client.
Speaker 6: It was a pretty good first client.
Speaker 1: I got very lucky and it was completely I mean I often complained about this fin Australia, like I noticed in the US. You beat a party, or you'd be just at a cafe or something and you talk to someone about something and they'd say, I know someone that we could connect you with, or I reckon.
Speaker 6: You should talk to this guy.
Speaker 1: It's like this very very very generous networking kind of culture. Not it never felt fake or transactional to me in that way. It just felt enormously helpful, especially as some you know, yoga teacher journal who rocked up there as an organizational designer, you know, not really knowing one hundred percent what I was doing. So I got really lucky with the people that I got to meet and then started doing that. I actually started a company over in the States that was Mindful under Fire and then was based there until yeah, twenty eighteen to nearly five years doing that kind.
Speaker 2: Of work, So tell me why does the traditional So you said that the traditional sort of mindful the stuff when you've been through really hard experiences, is suboptimal or often doesn't work.
Speaker 5: Why is that?
Speaker 1: And I'm not a I'm a mental health first data but I'm not a mental health professional, so I'm always careful of what I recommended say there. But in my personal experience and certainly with groups that I've worked with who specialize in PTSD, you know, if you think about what it is to be in a meditation or a mindfulness experience is focusing on and paying attention to what's happening in your mind, what's happening in your body, sitting with and noticing what's going on as you're sitting there.
Speaker 6: If you have.
Speaker 1: Particularly traumatic experiences, you know, intense experiences around violence, you know, emergency situations, being trapped, terror situations, like any of those things. I've worked a lot with people from prisons, for example, like really intense lockdown, stressful situations where you're, you know, in something where you are in physical danger. To sit with those feelings in theory, you're sitting there and you're creating space for them and it's a lovely experience and you're very calm, but often your body doesn't know that that's a very calming, safe experience. To sit there and to deliberately look at it can retraumatize people. For me personally, thinking about being in a bush by a situation, sitting there and you know, ad what it felt like to be in that space, you know, imagining the smells and being with that. I'm now able to do that. But this is like you know, wade later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with the benefit of all of that distance and the emotional intensity reducing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I can see how hi in and of the moment, revisiting that and trying to set with it can be contra productive for quite a.
Speaker 1: Lot of people, Yes, especially early on. And I'd already been someone who would meditate and been into all this stuff for over a decade when I came to it, you know that when those situations happened, So it wasn't that I wasn't already an experienced meditator, but I started to learn different ways of dealing with it. I mean, I did some interesting, different alternative therapies and that helped a lot for me. The physicality of things helped. So it's like shaking and.
Speaker 5: Moving your body.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, like tapping.
Speaker 1: Tapping was one of those things that at the beginning I hated and I was like, this is that's stupid, Please don't make me do this.
Speaker 6: That was actually really.
Speaker 1: Helpful physical anchors, breath work. I mean, I was already a yoga teacher, so a lot of that, like noticing things arise and moving through them. So I got pretty experimental. I mean I treated myself as my own giddepig and spent a lot of time working with that. And now you know, there will be times when I will deliberately put myself back into thinking about situations that have been traumatizing or upsetting, and I'll spend some time.
Speaker 2: Tell me this, did you ever do when you were experimenting with those different therapies? She talked about tapping, which I'm familiar with. Do you ever do emdr?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, because that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: There's actually a bucket lord of research around it and nine mechanisms understood mechanisms.
Speaker 5: By how it works.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, So that was one of the early things that I tried, even before I left Australia, and at the time hated it, like really was like again, it felt a bit like the tapping.
Speaker 6: It's like, what is this?
Speaker 1: And I think I was impatient. I was really highly strung about all of it as well. It's just like I just need to find something that works. One of the things that I did, I guess somewhat illegally. I worked with a psychotherapist from the Netherlands who was in Thailand and he did the MDR using MDMA as well.
Speaker 2: So you're an early proponent of the because there's there's actually a barke at Lord of research around that. And I interviewed a guy a few weeks ago, Paul with an unpronouncable sonium and who is the lead researcher in psychedelic assistant therapy in Australia. I think he's connected to is It Monster and I can't quite remember which one he's connected to.
Speaker 1: Paul at NISKI. Yes, he's amazing, He's at Monit Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, he's incredible. I I did a talk with him, we were both doing a talk at the YPO, the Young President's organization.
Speaker 5: His stuff was absolutely mind blowing.
Speaker 2: I got really quite My interest was piqued in this twenty odd years ago when I was in the Amazon jungle with a shaman taking ayahuasca, going on an aahuasca journey, and mine was exploration. But there were a couple of people there, one who was a heroin addict and one who was an alcoholic who said they had tried everything and nothing.
Speaker 5: Worked anything like the ayahuasca.
Speaker 2: And so you know that ability of psychedelics to reset the brillin and Paul describes it as a rocket ship for therapy, so it.
Speaker 1: Really I have different I mean, look, I definitely think Paul is an incredible practitioner, and I love that people are exploring these different modalities now, like I've certainly guinea piqued myself from that first experience with this Dutch psychotherapist, which honestly completely changed my relationship with you know, like even smelling smoke, it completely changed. I was like, oh, just having no triggers or reactions. And that was after just a few sessions with him, and then went on to do many therapies. I spent a lot of time in Mexico and Guatemala and Belize working with shamans most of twenty ten, eleven and twelve doing because also as a musician you would know, the ayahuasca tradition is very musically based, so I spent a lot of time traveling around with some musicians and shamans, which was really beautiful and so colomcist.
Speaker 2: I wasn't expecting to have when we were talking about mindfulness and contemplators.
Speaker 1: Either, I don't usually talk about this, but I also I noticed that a lot of people, I mean, I do a lot of work with the startup community, for example, and it's a really popular the conversation certainly in Silicon Valley about five ten years ago, and I was often the case in Australia. You know, it's currently a big conversation with people talking about you know, psychedelic consistent therapy and also a microduc psych Yeah. Well also just like psychedelics because we're expanding our minds. The one thing I really noticed though, I had done a lot of work on self inquiry and self discovery, and I had quite strong practices around mindfulness, meditation and integration practices when I came to be psychedelic therapies. And I've noticed that folks who have done a bit of that self inquiry work, you know, whether it's just even having a basic mic on this practice or a meditation practice, or just any kind of self inquiry. Maybe you're someone who journals. Just having those practices in place before you start playing with the big staff.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think it's really important because I've I often.
Speaker 1: Will come across, say startup founders who have never meditated, and they'll go and try and do a ten day for passna retreat, like a non speaking intense the Pastna retreat, or they'll go and spend two weeks in the Amazon doing ayahuascar, or they'll go and you know, do LSD trips, you know, trying to emulate Hunter S.
Speaker 6: Thompson in the Dungle whatever.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm all for the exploration, and I think you've got to have some building blocks in place, because I've also seen those things have poor, poor effects, and I've usually seen them have poor floor effects with people who just don't have that sort of self inquiry practice and don't have some of those basics in place before they start exploring.
Speaker 2: I can get completely attest to this. I did an ayahuasca ceremony. There was a mexic our Spanish kid who never even smoked a cigarette and never never had a dream, had a joint, never had done anything, and somebody just told him he's going to do an aahuasca ceremony and he almost lost his mind on that ceremony, right, And.
Speaker 1: It's work, It's not you know, it's not like going to a rave or something like.
Speaker 6: It's work. It's you're working through things.
Speaker 1: I mean, in the Yogic tradition, we talk about like burning through sam scars, like getting to the deeper levels of your soul, of your psyche, of really understanding who you are and who you are in the universe and who the universe is in you. And I mean these are massive experiences. But if you don't really have a context for already who you might be in the universe, what that feels like, I think it would just feel terrifying.
Speaker 2: Because yes, and this is what it was like for him, And it took like five or six hours and then he all have was like see Clara or Clara, which is it's all clear, But he was almost losing his I think you do have to go into these things having done some either work on yourself or consciousness exploration, and go in with a sense of intention.
Speaker 5: I think that is really really important.
Speaker 2: And did you did you find then having had that background in mindfulness and then having the psychedelic therapies, did it influence your view of mindfulness? Did it deepen it? Did it change it? Did it accelerate it?
Speaker 5: You know? Was there any interaction that you find?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 1: I mean I think for me, the meditation practice is kind of like the gym work, you know, like it's like the muscle building. And then a lot of my experiences with Ayahuascar ceremonies were you know, of being the watcher, you.
Speaker 7: Know, yes, yet watching me watching you, you know, and so to already have an experience with that and to already have muscles in that area, I feel like that gave me sort of a way to cope with it.
Speaker 1: Also, feel like having physical practices around it, you know, like enormous feelings coming up and visions and downloads. However people like to describe it. I also just feel like it's different for most people, even how they describe it and how they interact with it. But you know, you're getting these big downloads to be able to just sit with discomfort, to be able to sit with woll That's an interesting thought. To be able to observe that happening to your mind and your body, and to be in that as a witness is also quite I mean, some of the most beautiful experiences of my life, but also incredibly telling. You know, like I've resolved enormous things in that couple of years in those ceremonies, and you know, and really feel like I learned so much about myself and discovered a lot of peace in myself and in things that have happened in my life. And I think it was a very very beautiful gift. So I think also the cultural tradition of it, Like I loved being able to do it in Central America and to be working with these beautiful shamans and they invited me into this tradition, and you know, that felt really sacred and very beautiful. And so I also struggle a little bit with people just like having a swig to the beach with their mates, environs, you not agree more.
Speaker 2: I've had people invite me to ayahuasca ceremonies over here in Australia and I just point bank refuse because I've done probably over ten in the Amazon, but most of mine were very deep in the Amazon, with real bonafide shamans, not the ayahuasca tourism that's going on nigh, and it's that connection to spirit and the plants. It's just it's part of the whole experience. I actually felt that it was a pretty sacred experience. So I'm completely wet you. I just would not touch it here in Australia just for these people are gone and doing it pro jets and giggles.
Speaker 5: You know, go and take LSD if you want to do that.
Speaker 2: But for me, the plant stuff and the and the just the interaction with the Iahwaska vine and the ticuna leaf right is just it's mind boggling how those two combinations. And I asked the challenge, you know, how how do you know of these combinations of plants that create the magic? And they said, the plants teach us right, They've got.
Speaker 5: That long history.
Speaker 2: And as I said to people, you know, going and visiting the Mattis Indians in the Amazon, they just think very differently to us.
Speaker 5: They've got a completely different view of reality.
Speaker 2: And I think, you know, whether you're going there to resolve some stuff, whether it's drug addiction or trauma, or you're just as I was, going in for consciousness exploration. I think really respecting the environment and who's doing it and why you're doing it.
Speaker 5: I think that's hugely important.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and respecting the long and beautiful tradition of it as well, you know, the culture of it. We have to colonize everything. But I also you know, I think not only did the tradition of it, but making sure that it is that integrative process, like, yes, you are involved with it. The music for me was a huge part of those journeys, like I did quite a few me for those years, and the music for me became such a you know, a part of who I am, like drawing it out, the sweetness of different instruments and the gift of the musicians, the service of it. I think we often think about it as like, oh, I'm sitting here on my cushion or I'm lying in this little cot and I'm involved with this, you know, this mind bending experience.
Speaker 6: Whatever that is.
Speaker 1: But the kind of rules of it and the absolute beautiful service of the people who hold the space and hold the circle, who play the instruments, who are involved in the process, I think we sometimes kind of miss that that is part of it. I'm obsessed with this ritual, you know, the service and the ritual and the design of how that has just riven naturally in that culture, and how that has become such a part of the ceremony and why that's such an important and integral part of the ceremony.
Speaker 2: No, that was a very interesting, unplanned rabbitool that we went into. We should probably bring this conversation back to mindfulness and mindfulness very interesting as it was. But you so you are your director of Innovation at the is at the Center for Contemplative Studies at Manas, so talk to us about the interaction between mindfulness and innovation.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, so we call it M three CS because it's the Monished Center for Consciousness and Contemplative Studies, which is a long title, but M three CS exists to bring the wisdom traditions to life. So we're stands a research center and we're looking at how we can take ancient wisdom and bring it into communities, organizations, you know, into research and looking at the latest consciousness research. We are looking at things like AI, we're looking at dreaming, we're looking at meditation and mindfulness, compassion, so many different facets of that. And my role with the center is figuring out how we get that out of research and make it accessible to organizations and communities. So that's one part in you know, designing like education design and designing programs like either online. I come from this sort of startup background, so we now have a raft of courses and programs that people can access online, but also just you know, going out there into the community. So I'd give a lot of talks and get to talk a lot about the center and from workshops and various other sort of education programs across Australia and even beyond, which is really amazing.
Speaker 6: And then but all informed by this latest research.
Speaker 1: So really looking at I often joke it's like the conduit to bring more mindfulness, meditation, empathy, compassion, peak, performance, resilience out of the center and.
Speaker 5: Into my woah okay.
Speaker 2: And so you work a lot with businesses. How do you find the idea of mindfulness in the workplace?
Speaker 5: Has the acceptance of that or the openness to that? Has it changed over the years since you've been doing it?
Speaker 2: And do you find it was different in the diets, particularly in Silicon Valley than it was here?
Speaker 1: Yes, certainly. Well so when I was a baby, yoga teacher. I used to go into like football clubs and you know, various different groups like I work with Istra and ballet and a bunch of other things where I'd go in and teach them mindfulness and you'd have to sign an NDA like where they'd be like you can't. You got to go in the back door, like no one's talking about it. And then you know, ten years later I could that and people like Richmond has won a flag because you know Craig Hasen who works with me here at the.
Speaker 5: Time, Oh creek, Yeah he's awesome.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's brilliant.
Speaker 1: And Emma Murray as well, like you know, one Richmond's flag. You know, they've done this amazing work. And so I feel like it's become much more integrated and mainstream. It's still not where it was in Silicon Valley. But also I mean I used to microdoze with my boss in San Francis because we were just like interested in the experiment to see how it would improve our activity and see what would happen that's not.
Speaker 6: Here in Australia, and generally I.
Speaker 1: Think, you know, I got pretty lucky with you know, with my Google connection and also with the timing of going to San Francisco, you know, I was kind of spending more time there twenty eleven, twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, when Wisdom two point zero was becoming this enormous movement over there, where Search inside Yourself was just started.
Speaker 5: Did search a show in yourself? Did that come out a Google? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, tell our listeners about that actually, because I've heard about that program.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Search inside Yourself was basically I'll see if do I have I do I have the book here?
Speaker 6: One moment Clai Shade maintain.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing, amazing employee at Google and was just really interested in, you know, mindfulness and noticed that it really helped him perform and be a great e boye and was really interested in it bringing it to the organization and when it was a much smaller group and as a result just started like teaching them. His official title at Google for a long time was jolly good fellow.
Speaker 6: Very sweet man.
Speaker 1: And yeah, just started really the scaling of programs in this sort of way. So it was one of the first, I mean, aside from John cabots in'sa mindful mindful you know based mindfulness based.
Speaker 5: Destruction yes, sorry, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, those were two of these big programs that were sort of scaling within an organization or scaling within communities.
Speaker 6: Mindfulness practices.
Speaker 1: I mean when I say that these are the westernized versions of that, because these were originally scaled across householders all over India and of course like all through Southeast Asia and Asia and you know Zen Buddhist traditions, and this was I guess more of a commercial scalability, but it also in a lot of ways westernized and brought two people who may have been scared off by it or may have felt like it was more of a religious thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's been tornished with that brush for many years, particularly ten twenty years ago. Right, people used to think with you said mindfulness, it was a different religion, and so it put.
Speaker 5: A lot of people off.
Speaker 2: But now I think people realize it's I think that's were contemplated our consciousness and contemplated therapies are contemplative processes or whatever it's called. It makes it more open, right because it's away from that stigma of sitting with your legs crossed, arming away at yourself.
Speaker 5: Right. Yeah, A lot more to it.
Speaker 1: Than that, Yeah, but then you also look at you know, the rise of popularity. I mean rum Das is an obvious one from you know, that sort of twenty to thirty year ago period, but Tigna Hahn and Vietnam and France. You know Pema Children, who's American, but you know he's doing all of this amazing work. And they've been people who have done such a beautiful job of translating the practices of making them really practical for people. And I feel like people are really looking for a way to connect with these practices.
Speaker 6: And you know, we often joke.
Speaker 1: That like gen X's and gen z is and millennial also this sort of generation of one to cherry pick their spirituality in these different ways, to which I say, go for it, Like read widely. Just know yourself, try and understand and know yourself, know what works, be looking for different practices, cobble together what works for you. Find something that gives you peace and gives you agency and helps you feel connected with yourself and feel connected with the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally endorsed that read widely. I mean I started I get very interested in different types of philosophies and religions when I was sort of seventeen eighteen. Then went traveled and went and did started doing a master's in social anthropology and did going on shamanism. We did a whole unit on shamanism and that really sparked my interest. But I think reading the different philosophical traditions, I think everybody should have to do that right, just to give them that bread and that understan standing of the old ancient wisdom and how it can be used today. I mean, one of the ones that's that's very familiar getting away from mindfulness. But just in terms of philosophy is the massive comeback that stoic philosophy that is actually hard on people. Why it really helps people to deal with, you know, challenges in life.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the stoicism was making an enormous comeback when I was still based in San Francisco, and one of the big things I noticed, especially amongst the young male developer set, was that it was really being misunderstood and misused in that old school you know, stiff up at smallest, Yeah, don't feel anything, squashed, it all down if you're a stoic Marcus aureally a set and it's like, no, that's not what he said at all.
Speaker 6: It's like, that's not what we're doing. So I also feel like.
Speaker 1: Doing all of these things in community is really important so that people can have these discussions, especially with young men. I noticed that they are having more and more discussions and starting to create more communities in Australia, for example, where they're having actual conversations about Yeah, I am having some really big feelings about this. And stoicism is about creating space, creating agency, creating awareness, creating critical thinking.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of.
Speaker 1: Backlash against forcing people to do mindfulness, you know, like I think you and I would both agree, like, yes, wisdom traditions. We want people to look at this. We want them to examine themselves. We want them to have you know, great critical thinking and understand themselves. And I love the idea of making all of this available to people, and you know, to have conversations like these where we're you know, letting people know that these kinds of explorations can give you a lot of peace, can give you a lot of agency, can give you tools. There are as many tools as there are different ways to explore. So try them out, you know, gide pig yourself a little bit, you know, you asked before about the organizational context. I think we start getting down a little bit of a slippery slope when we're starting to look at, you know, enforcing mindfulness, you know, or enforcing critical thinking. There's part of it that's like we should enforce critically But on the other hand, it's like you can lead horses to water, but we can't make them drink.
Speaker 6: We're just making these tools available to people.
Speaker 1: We're being kind and generous in offering to teach them, and people come to these things as they come to them, maybe early in life, might be late in life.
Speaker 5: So that kind of hart is my question.
Speaker 2: It is high to talk to me about the process of working with organizations. So presumably the center is doing pulling all of the ancient wisdom? Are they packaging it up and giving tools associated with it? And then you're going in and teaching these suite of tools in the background and saying here's further reading.
Speaker 5: Is that the way it works?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there's we have some six main programs that we're teaching, like a you know, mindfulness for wellbeing.
Speaker 6: Peak performance.
Speaker 1: We've got a you know, maintaining a mindful life. Those are both programs designed and created by Professor Craig Passage the best, but we also one of the things that we did well it was really a market led sort of situation. I went out and spoke to hundreds and hundreds of organizations and you know executives and looked at what are the key problems that you're dealing with here? What are you trying to solve in the organization? Where do you need support? And the answer was burnout. So that we went and took everything that they were talking about, looking at the key issues that they've been having with their staff, with you know, staff turnover and issues that people are having with managing stress. And we designed a program based off that, which is a true kind of market led offering.
Speaker 5: I like that, Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we Navigating Burnout is the name of the course.
Speaker 6: You can sign up to it online.
Speaker 2: Right, so give our give our listeners, and I think that'd be a pretty blood bloody popular course because burnout, you know, it's on the rise in Australia. It's pretty shocking for it. The amount of ours that we work here are some of the highest in OECD, and we're getting big rates of burnout here. So talk us through some of the elements of the program, and particularly you know one or two practical tools that people can use to help not get burnt out, because once you're burnt out, I mean, I know all about the physiology of burnout.
Speaker 5: Once you're burnt.
Speaker 2: Out, it's a it's a massive hole to climb out of.
Speaker 5: I'm all about prevention rather than cure.
Speaker 6: Yeah one d P.
Speaker 1: Well, I think for leaders, part of it is in recognizing those behaviors in self. You know, how you drive in yourself? How aware are you of what you're asking your team to do? How where are you of the different ways in which your team thinks? Which I think is also really powerful around the neurodiversity conversation. How do the different people in your team work well? What do they need to be supported?
Speaker 6: What does that look like?
Speaker 1: And then from a personal level, both from a leader side and from a team side, what do you need? How well do you know yourself? You know, do you have practices that you need support in, you need financial aid to continue with? Do the other people in your office and team know what you need in order to thrive? What does that look like? We talk a bit about human flourishing, which is one of my favorite phrases, ever, I think that's a beautiful, a beautiful sentiment and idea. And then more broadly, it's you know, what can you control? What can you not control? I think we talk about those things a lot, but practically looking.
Speaker 6: At how you know in any given moment.
Speaker 1: How do you look at Okay, I can control this, I can't control this? Well, now what do I do with that? I'm still stressed about this. I'm still freaking out about that. So it's really a lot of exercises around creating agency for self, about perspective taking, how to slip back, how to you know, have somewherewith all around. This isn't the be all and end all? And this will pass, this too shall pass exactly exactly. And then one of my favorite units in this program is around tech. How do you engage with tech? How do you deal with it? What are your boundaries, what's your like sleep hygiene, what's your tech hygiene?
Speaker 5: Which you talk about enough disengaged with tech?
Speaker 2: I So I run lots of workshops around peak performance, and I'm all over sleep hyging, and you know, I'm like sleep.
Speaker 5: Is a weapon.
Speaker 2: And I asked people about you know, who's got televisions in your bedroom, and typically maybe ten to fifteen percent of hands will go up. I'll say, who brings a laptop or are a tablet into the bedroom and maybe it's about to see them, And I'm like, who's got a mobile phone in the bedroom? Ninety percent at least of hard to drop every time, and I'm like, it's my lime cluck.
Speaker 5: And everybody likes.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, buy a ten dollar alarm clock. You're titars because that mobile phone beside the bed. People think that it's doing nothing. It's a freaking attention thief. And I think the research shows the default mode network is more active when the mobile phone is beside the bed.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Craig Hassid talks about the default mode network a lot exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, even there's another researcher group here at Monash that looks at like your circadian rhythms and you know, even having your laptop screen, your iPad or your phone screen at the moments when you're trying to get off to sleep, what that does like the UV of that. You know, we talk about those special glasses that you would use and people think, oh, that looks too nerdy. I wouldn't do it. That's mucking with your sleep as well. All that attention is drawing away from you. So it's good to you know. I love that this course doesn't tell you to not use tech because I think a lot of the time we're kind of like, oh no, I'm not supposed to do it. It's like, it's not about guilt. We're looking for workability in the modern age. We're looking for how you can engage with these things, but also recognize that you're in charge. You're in charge of how much you use it. You have agency and awareness around how you use it and what that looks like. I really love that, like creating real plans for yourself so that it's you know, you are actually in charge of whether or not you touch that phone or not. Let's get more awareness there so that you are.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like that this is much more than just the mindfulness programs, because when people hear that, right, they're going, oh, they're going to come in, They're going to teach me how to meditate and you know, get in touch with myself.
Speaker 5: But from what we've been saying, there's.
Speaker 2: Lots of real practicalities about just living and working more effectively, yes.
Speaker 1: And I think I mean, I keep saying awareness and agency, but I feel like those are the two things that we work with a lot. It's like, how do you engage with yourself? How do you know what's bothering you? I mean, I think in the case of burnout, the number of people that we speak to and the number of organizations where we'll go in, and you know, we work a lot with emergency workers. I worked a lot with emergency workers in the US my previous company. The amount of people who are just shocked when they hit the wall and fall in a heap, they didn't even realize that it was happening. And so the earlier we can smell that smoke, the earlier we can get at finding those practices like noticing, oh, my eye is twitching, like okay, maybe that's a magnesium deficiency, or maybe you haven't slept properly in a long time and you're nearing an area that's dangerous for you and it's burnout and you're not going to be any good to yourself or to anyone else. How can we start to integrate these practices early? How can we be more aware earlier? How can we be looking out for each other in our teams, in our organizations, in our communities.
Speaker 6: In our families.
Speaker 1: You know, you're aware of how stress your partner would be on a scale of one to ten if you ask them, could they even tell you are they doing that internal temperature take even on a daily basis, like where are you at stress wise today? Okay? What relieves that pressure valve? I often use the analogy of a pool toy. You're like skimming on the surface of life, and then when things get really hot, the pool toy gets really tight and then you spring a leak or a kid jumps on you and you burst, and you know, you sink to the bottom of the pool. But you have that valve on there. And the more knowledge that you have around what inflates you and what relieves that pressure, that's just it's so important to just day to day well being, day to day equilibrium and just knowing what one of the lavers.
Speaker 6: That you need to pull.
Speaker 1: It is different for all of us. Someone like you know, having a donut. It might be the thing for someone else. It's a massage. For someone else, it's a walk, it's a surf, it's a you know, really understanding what the things are that relieve that pressure for you and help inflate you again get you back on track.
Speaker 2: I think that self awareness piece is really huge. There are so many people who are just sleepwalking through life, and they're sleepwalking towards burnout.
Speaker 5: And I see it.
Speaker 2: All the time in the work that I do that there's people who are really high achievers who are just they're running so hot. You know, they are running like a Formula one racing car. The rev counter is just so high, and because they've been doing it for so long, they just it becomes normal, right, And humans will adapt to that and you'll think that this is okay because this is just the way that it's been. And I always say to people, if you go on holidays and you get sick routinely at the start of the holiday, that's a big.
Speaker 5: Warning saying that you're running too.
Speaker 2: Hot, right, And you know, you ask them how long there's a Formula one engine last Not very long at all because it's running at such high revs.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that self awareness piece is really really critical. So are there any particular tools that you use for people around that self awareness or is it more just of an education processor kind of a mix of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean again, I think it is about having you know, as broad a toolkit as possible so that you can be trying things out for yourself.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the big things we talk about will be things like caffeine and alcohol. You know, Like I'll notice, for example, if i don't get enough sleep, then the next morning, I'll want to have a bit of extra coffee. And then because I've had a bit of extra coffee I'll find it harder to wind down at.
Speaker 6: The end of the day.
Speaker 1: So mine having an extra glass of wine. Then my sleep is disturbed.
Speaker 2: Then you're levels go up. Then you tend to eat more shit food, right, You're less likely the exercise has.
Speaker 6: Been more alcohol.
Speaker 1: So you start to see how the levers work in tene with each other as well. Again, that's my particular poison, you know. So if I'm coming into a period of considerable stress, the first thing I'll do is stop drinking alcohol. That's just like one of the first things, Like I know it's going to be a really full on time. Not a huge drinker anyway, but it just means like just don't drink for a few weeks while we're going through this period, it means less alcohol, means more sleep and less caffeine. As a lever, you know the other things from a very basic level, get better at sitting with yourself and you know, I know I was talking before about PTSD contra indications and trauma, you know, contraindications. But it could just look like just writing a few lines down. I think of it as data, like internal data from the CPU, like we're really looking at like where are you at today? Are you tired? Are you excited? Are you over stimulated? Just giving yourself a little score, So just writing a little paragraph about where you're at for the day. It's just a good check in process.
Speaker 2: But it's like it's self awareness driving, isn't it. Whether it's journaling or doing some sort of a checklist, it's like, oh, actually am I feeling? Because often people just bundle through.
Speaker 1: With lotus Yeah, And then you know, I think the other part of it is, you know, adding to that mindfulness practice, whether that's listening to a guided meditation, doing a walking meditation, doing a more formal sit where you're just looking at yourself and then writing, you know, how do I feel after that? What have I noticed?
Speaker 6: Happens?
Speaker 1: There and then the other kind of It's not hack, I suppose, but one of the really lovely ways to engage with this in a physical sense, and I've I've found a lot of power in these physical movements is breath techniques. So you don't have to go into full like capalla varati skull shining breath kind of you know, extremes, or even wim howk kind of extremes. You could literally just do box breathing. You could breathe in for four and then out for six.
Speaker 5: I'm a big fan.
Speaker 6: That's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeaheah, yeah, And I much prefer that because when you're breathing, your spathetic nervous system temporarily of regulate.
Speaker 5: It's the breath.
Speaker 2: If you've asked me about breastwork ten or fifteen years ago, I have said it's fluffy bullshit turned by the crystal waving brigade.
Speaker 5: But now I am. I'm a crystal waiver right now. I'm so yeah, that's all over breathwork.
Speaker 2: I actually think that breath control is an absolutely fundamental tool for both well being and for peak performance, and elite cleats use it. Special forces guys use it, and they don't do shit, right, they do stuff that.
Speaker 1: Has well, like opera singers. I mean I come from a singing background. Like even recognizing before I go on stage, I'm still a bit of a nervous speaker, you know, like doing public speaking and things like that, I get nervous. I was a bit nervous to talk to you, you know. And you just learn to be able to regulate your breath and regulate yourself internally. It's actually very very powerful technique.
Speaker 2: And actually awareness of breath as well. I think the more breath what you do, the more you start to become more over. And then people will start to notice that when they're stressed, they might shallow breath, they might hold their breath.
Speaker 5: Right, A lot of people will.
Speaker 2: Hold their breath whenever they're stressed, and that's shitn't good for your physiology, right.
Speaker 1: But the amount of times that you go into a workshop and I'll just do a little bit of breath work, and you often say to someone you know, is this the first breath you've taken? To Danye, you just see them go oo, Like, just the relief on people's we don't know, we're just trying to get through. I mean, let's be honest, especially since lockdowns, especially in Melbourne one based like we've had a few pretty rough years, you know, and I think, yes, we're getting by, and it's time to look more at a flourishing time, a thriving time, than just surviving. And I want to be a part of that. I want to be a part of helping people move more into that state of more awareness, you know, asking for what they need and creating the circumstances the organizations, the communities that really nourish and support humans to be their best. And that doesn't look like, you know, revving out these Formula one engines. It looks like having a balanced and healthy and integrated life.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, touche Megan. Now I know you've got to run because you got something to go too, but thank you for sharing all of that. And so where can people go to learn more about what the center does and if they want to bring them into the workplace or do the online programs to things, and then you personally if they want to book you for as a speaker or follow you on socials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's it is the Monash Center for Consciousness and Contemplative Studies. So if you just search Monash M three cs. That's usually the easiest way to find it. You can also look up Monash Training for Humanity. You can find me at Meganflamer dot com. I also write a little substack newsletter which is a bit of fun. It's really me looking at what happens when I pull these levers on myself.
Speaker 6: So it's sort of my guinea pig newsletter.
Speaker 1: So that's at Substack, and it's just called Excited Adult because that I feel like that's why I'm alive, to discover why adults maintain excitement when they get older. Yeah, and you can find me on like Instagram, Twitter and things like that. Are we still using Twitter?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I have ab checked it, but.
Speaker 1: Certainly always up for a chat about mindfulness and wisdom and contemplation.
Speaker 6: You know, I think that's why we're here to understand that.
Speaker 5: Megan, thank you for sharing your wisdom and your contemplation. Thank you for the unexpected little.
Speaker 2: Little rabbit hole into the world of ayahuasca and other shamanic modalities.
Speaker 6: It was very far oh, very very fun. Paul, thanks so much.
Speaker 5: A good time