Speaker 1: Welcome late Bay.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening and thanks for joining us. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond. And speaking of Caleb Bond, unlike him, I am not into horse racing at all, but I reckon I could be after listening to one race caller will play you his unique call in just a moment.
Speaker 3: I really wondered where you were going with that, James, when you're speaking of Oh my god, what's he going to say.
Speaker 4: About heart within your mouth?
Speaker 3: I thought, Oh no, my my deepest and dark place to be revealed.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's nothing bad. It's just Caleb loves his horses and I've never been interested. But I promise you the race caller will say a little later he's not too bad at all. Plus, when we look at what's making news tomorrow, Chris Bowen doubles down on his renewables dream after the election result, and the Victorian State government on a collision course with the Truth Telling Commission that they themselves commissioned. All of that when we get to tomorrow's headlines, But first, let me start with a question. What do you think would be important qualifications for school teachers? I imagine you might say, well, they should be familiar with the subject matter, they should have a mastery of teaching techniques, maybe be adept at behavioral management. All of those things make sense, right, But I'm pretty sure none of you would say, I think teachers it's really important that they understand indigenous culture and anti racism. And yet that is exactly what the New South Wales government is requiring of all teaching graduates before they are allowed into our classrooms. A statement from the New South Wales Education Department published in the Daily Mail today reads, and I quote, all staff must complete the mandatory training Aboriginal cultural education. It's called Let's take the First Step Together, and training on the anti racism policy and their responsibility to actively challenge racism. Now this compulsory module. It's not compulsory for you to graduate, but if you graduate without doing this module, you can never teach in New South Wales. It instructs potential teachers on an overview of Indigenous languages, a knowledge of significant Aboriginal people and Aboriginal sites, and an understanding of the impact that government policies have had on Indigenous people over the past couple of one hundred years. Now the Education Department says this is very important because it will help the teachers in New South Wales classrooms to improve cultural safety quote unquote for Aboriginal students. Calebin Liz good idea or bad idea.
Speaker 4: This is absolutely nuts.
Speaker 5: We have a national teacher shortage in Australia. Every state and territory is crying out for more teachers. In New South Wales where these rules are now applying, as of January, we had one thousand, two hundred and ninety for teacher vacancies in the state alone, and we're told that's a good thing because it's a four year low. So apparently that figure is something to be rejoiced over.
Speaker 4: A four year low.
Speaker 5: Just just under thirteen hundred vacancies in the state of New South Wales. And that's just speaking of one state. And is it any wonder when all the research that talks about this national teacher shortage repeatedly says that one of the really important elements to this is a lack of people's respect for the profession. It has fallen in people's esteem, and that is across the board. Is it any wonder when parents are becoming increasingly aware of the fact that these are indoctrinators, not educators, and the state is doing nothing to hide the hand that they're playing. Here got to baptize the up and coming teachers in white guilt so they can do the same when they reach the classroom.
Speaker 4: This is just utter nonsense.
Speaker 5: When we have kids failing the most basic tenants of their education. We saw last year in was it the napland results one in three kids did not meet the standard requirements of grammar and spelling. And this is what we're grilling our teachers. And we've also talked at length countless times about the poor standards of teachers and the fact that they are dropping requirements tertiary requirements for these teachers because we're so desperate for them. It's like, oh, actually, if your ATA is not that up to scratch, you can still qualify for teaching.
Speaker 4: It's utterly ridiculous.
Speaker 5: That anyone thinks that this is a priority right now in our education system.
Speaker 3: Will you have to ask the question, and I have asked this a number of times and columns I've written over the years, if your objective were to be a good teacher, why would you bother going into the profession anymore? Because you get bogged down in all of this garbage. You know, it starts at UNI and then you get into the classroom and then they'll dictate to you. The department will dictate to all this work stuff that you have to do. And then you have to come up against all the other teachers, who of course are going along with all of this stuff. And if you raise your hand and say, well, actually, I just want to get on with the job of teaching, you get bullied out, et cetera, et cetera. Why would you bother to put up with all that nonsense if you just wanted to make sure that the next generation of kids had as much knowledge as they could and could be good members of society. And you mentioned the a tarslies what we were talking recently about people with eight has less than fifty getting into teaching, and that puts you in like the bottom quarter of people who graduated from high school, and then you can go and study teaching. Earlier this year, we found out that seven and a half percent of teaching graduates couldn't pass the literacy test that they have to take at the end of their degrees. Four point seven percent couldn't pass the numeracy test they get three goes at that test. Right, these are the problems that we're facing. And of course they're going into UNI and studying teaching, having already come out of the school system themselves where they were let down because they didn't learn reading and writing and spelling and whatever properly. So they then go off to UNI and are only as good as the teachers that came before them. And then we say they will go and be the best teachers of the next generation. So forget about fixing up the problems with literacy and numeracy and etars, but let's teach them to be culturally aware and more than that, anti racist. And that's the whole anti racist thing really gratees me because it is departmental policy that, you know, it's not good enough to say that you don't like racism. You have to somehow actively fight racism. But what is to actively fight racism? I mean is it to say I witnessed a student being racist to another student, so I sent him to detention. Well, that's what every teacher would do anyway. I mean, you have disorder in your classroom, you're seeing a student to detention. Know what they mean is that you have to lecture the students about racism and tell them that if they're white, that they have all this guilt and nation feel bad about what their ancestors did to Aboriginal people and every other mob under the sun. I mean, for most of us, our ancestors did nothing because we weren't here when this joint was colonized. If you can prove to me that you were one of the people who came in on the first fleet, different discussion. For most of us, we don't have that connection.
Speaker 2: It's not good enough to confront racism when and if you find it to be means you've got to hunt it down, and you've got to go seeking instances of racism so that you can address them. I'm always curious about this term cultural safety, and I'd love to know how Indigenous kids, who matter as much as every other kid, are unsafe in our classrooms. But I don't think that's what this is really all about. Because this module that is compulsory, as I said, in New Southwest Teachers, is put together in partnership with a non government organization called the Aboriginal Educational Consultative Group, who state on their website that the whole point of this module is to quote ensure unique and diverse identity of Aboriginal students is recognized and valued. So it sounds less about stopping something terrible happening that's going on that we're all unaware of, and more about deliberately and purposefully promoting the indigenous culture, which of course leaves open the question what about all the other cultures we're in our class?
Speaker 3: And that's the thing. You start with one, you'll eventually have to move on to all of them. And I mean, can you imagine these lecturers in the unis and these teaching students, They must be having kittens if they had a look at what Sukia Stama said the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom overnight. I mean he's had a real come to Jesus moment. Now he's taken a look at the polling. Of course that is now showing in the UK that if there were a general election today, the party that would get the most votes is Nigel Faraja's Reform, and of course sa Farage talking to Paul Murray just before you can see the numbers there. This was taken on May the six, twenty nine percent, so they would vote for Reform which makes them the top party the Tories Conservatives only seventeen percent and Labor the current government twenty two percent, and they have more than four hundred seats Labor, it should be noted. And yes, it's the first part the post system, so it is a different system to us, and it does make you know, they have different results on the basis of where people vote. But popularly across the country, reform is now in the box seat and we saw that translate through in the local government elections that they had on the same weekend that we had our federal election. So Sukia has woken up and said, geez, we've got to do something to arrest this decline of the Labor Party. We've got to get votes back from reform. So he's turned tough guy on immigration. Now if he believes any of this, I have to say, it's brilliant. I mean, I wish we I had heard this out of the mouths of conservative leaders around the world. He has said the stuff that other people have been afraid to say. He wants to deport more foreign criminals. Yes. Good. He says that local staff should be prioritized over foreign staff. Good. He said there should be tighter rules around family so that you can't just come to the UK illegally and then get someone up the duff and then say well I've got kids now I can't leave. Tighten the rules around that so you can't get away with it anymore. Because in the UK, net migration for the twelve months to June was seven hundred and twenty eight thousand. Under the Tories got as high as nine hundred thousand a year. When you're talking about a country of sixty seventy odd million people, they are huge numbers to be inserting into the country every year. So Kia says he'd like to get it down to as much by twenty twenty nine as three hundred thousand a year. That is a serious cut. Here he was talking about classmat So.
Speaker 6: When you have an immigration system that seems almost designed to permit abuse, that encourages some businesses to bring in lower paid workers rather than invest in our young people, or simply one that is sold by politicians to the British people on an entirely false premise, then you're not championing growth, you're not championing justice or how else people defend the status quo. You're actually contributing to the forces that are slowly pulling our country apart. So yes, I believe in this. I believe we need to reduce immigration significantly.
Speaker 3: I mean, if only we heard these words added in our country, I believe we need to reduce immigration. He also warned about the fact that if you want a country to serve and be successful, you have to abide by the rule of law. And if you don't do that, there are consequences.
Speaker 6: Now in a diverse nation like ours, and I celebrate that these rules become even more important. Without them, we were becoming an island of strangers.
Speaker 3: An island of strangers. What a brilliant line. Why has no one else said this before?
Speaker 4: He said?
Speaker 3: Quote we need to take back control of our borders, he tweeted last night. If you want to live in the UK, you should speak English. That's common sense. So we're raising English language requirements across every main immigration route. I mean, this is extraordinary stuff. This is a labor Prime Minister need I remind you, saying the staff that the coalition was too afraid to say here in Australia, and to be perfectly honest, I don't care if he's only been shocked into this because of the numbers he's seen from Reform. It is the first time I've actually seen someone in a long time in Australia. US is a different discussion. We get to that a little bit later, but you know, the UK, Canada, Australia our major allies. It's the first time in a long time I've seen someone stand up and say it as straight as this. We must take control of our borders back. We need to lower immigration. I can't believe what I'm.
Speaker 5: Hear that anyone who believes him can't have a single firing neuron. This is the guy who came into power last year because the Conservatives had allowed almost a million immigrants into the country the year prior, and Britz, well we've had enough of it.
Speaker 4: You guys are gone.
Speaker 5: Ski Labor gets in and just continues the same old, same old. They knew the issue that had won them the election, and they changed nothing, which is why, as Caleb said, the weekend before last, we saw the Reform Party in local government elections get thirty percent of.
Speaker 4: The vote share.
Speaker 5: They won six hundred and seventy seven seats across the UK. Labor lost over one hundred the Conservatives lost over six hundred and reform was just snapping them all up. Germany did exactly the same thing when they saw in their state elections last year that they got an absolute thumping from the far right AfD all of a sudden that then Chancellor got up and said, oh, well, we're we're cracking down on immigration. We're going to tougher up our borders.
Speaker 4: We hear you, and we are going to deliver.
Speaker 5: No one believed him rightly so, and the German population went on to give them an absolute hiding at the federal election, which saw the AfD become the most popular part in Germany.
Speaker 4: So that's what these governments do.
Speaker 5: They watch the local elections, they watch the state elections.
Speaker 4: It of course is.
Speaker 5: A brilliant gauge of the public rage, and then they say, oh, we better do something about this, otherwise we are cooked.
Speaker 4: I don't care what Starmer says. Now he is cooked.
Speaker 5: Who's to say because he refused to really speak to numbers. He said he wanted to get it down by the next election in twenty twenty nine, but he refused to actually commit to a number. Now as Prime Minister he has the power to do that. He said he was ending a quote experiment in open borders end quote who voted for that experiment? Prime minister? Who voted for that experiment? Absolutely nobody, And yet he's carried it on just like the Conservatives did, despite knowing.
Speaker 4: That's why he won.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of things I thought when I heard his comments. The first thing I thought was, gee, the Poles must be bad, and that's before I saw the poll that you showed at the top, so obviously he's reacting to the rise of Nigel Faraj, as you said, Caleb. The other thing I thought when I heard his remarks was that the next time we see Kirs Starmer it will be in prison, because surely if you say immigrants should speak English, the next thing you know, you'll have a Bobby on your front or raising you for a racist tweet. In fact, Kirs Starmer has been at the forefront of that sort of policing, and that's the great irony here. He's saying the very things that he himself was demonizing other people for saying. You said, Caleb, an island of strangers. It's a great line. Why haven't we heard that one before? I'll tell you why, because you'd be in fear of being arrested if you'd said that line. If Kios Starmer is serious about this, and he's a human rights lawyer before he came to power, the first thing they should do is withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights, which we've sat here and talked about the way that asylum seekers who've been convicted of offenses have then used that agreement that the UK have with the European Union to find all sorts of loopholes to stay in the country. So if he's serious, there's plenty he can do. He's qualified to do it. But I think you're right. I think everyone will sit back and think these are mere words. And of course Nigel frag that was his take on the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Absolute bogus, as transparent as freshly cleaned glass.
Speaker 4: He says, oh, we're going to have all control of the borders.
Speaker 5: Well, that's your Prime Minister UK admitting he'd lost control of the borders. And of course we know these things don't happen by accidents, but to a country where immigration seems to becoming less of a problem in the US, where of course Donald Trump was elected by the people with a mandate to crack down on the insane levels of illegal immigration that had flooded into the country during the tenure of the Biden administration. Even conservative numbers s made over ten million people flooded into the country.
Speaker 4: The White House now says that has.
Speaker 5: Cost American taxpayers in twenty twenty three alone one hundred and fifty billion dollars housing these people, settling these people, feeding these people, trying to get these people jobs. Again, did those taxpayers vote for such a move?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not.
Speaker 5: Well, the Trump administration is crowing about how much they've been able to achieve within the first one hundred days in the job, and most recently, this video eclip went viral shared by the Texan Border Force Facility, just showing you what a difference just a few years can make. Gone Ski from absolutely bulging with illegals waiting to be processed at the border, which the Biden administration was more than willing to facilitate. Under the Trump administration, it no longer exists. It's just a patch of scorched grass. Check out these numbers RNC Research pulled out of recent CBP data. It's gone from April twenty twenty four, so just last year, where over one hundred and twenty eight thousand illegal aliens were apprehended at the Southern border, to just eight thousand, three hundred and eighty three illegal aliens at the Southern.
Speaker 4: Border this April.
Speaker 5: I mean bought the difference Bill muleagen tweets breaking. Internal CBP data obtained by Fox News reveals border patrol apprehended eighty three hundred and eighty three illegal aliens at the Southern border in April, down ninety three percent from nearly one thousand, sorry one hundred and twenty nine thousand in the prior April. Per CBP data, only five aliens were released in April this April, compared to roughly sixty eight thousand released last April under the BIDED and admllustration. CBP says the five releases were only temporary for special interest court cases. April twenty twenty five average two hundred and seventy nine Border patrol apprehensions of illegal aliens per day average twenty twenty four. In April, the average was four thousand, two hundred and ninety seven, So that's less four thousand more than four thousand.
Speaker 4: Less per day. Because of course, when the Trump administration comes.
Speaker 5: In News travels like, hey, don't bother going to the border anymore.
Speaker 4: They've shut up shop, and.
Speaker 5: All the traffickers, all the illegals would be illegals go, well, we we're just absolutely wasting our time. I love Trump admins their Project Homecoming, where.
Speaker 4: They're now offering illegals.
Speaker 5: They're saying, out yourselves, we'll give you one hundred We'll give you a thousand dollars in cash American dollars, a thousand bucks to leave. All you have to do is rock up at any airport in America. We the government will pay for it because in the long run, we're saving billions of dollars by getting you out of the country. Trump has literally said, out yourselves, get yourselves to an airport, one thousand dollars cash, free flight to anywhere you want to go, as long as it's not here, we want you out.
Speaker 3: Can I just be completely clear he is, because this is mind blowing stuff. Are you saying that if you shut the border it stops people coming over the border? I am WHOA, I can't believe it. I mean, who would have thought? Who would have thought it was this simple? And I mean Biden was Johnny come lately towards the end of his presidency, and you know, a bit like Starmer in the UK started going, oh, you know, we've got to do something about the border. We've got a problem down on the border. And of course we had the borders. Kamala Harris, who I don't know if she went down there once or twice, and they actually cleared everyone out of the way so the cameras wouldn't see everyone that was there, but Biden as one of literally one of the first things he did when he became president was issue executive orders to rescind the executive orders that Trump had put out to secure the border and build the wall. It was literally one of the first things he did within days of becoming present was unwind all of that. And then of course people walked over the border. Who would have thought that was going to happen, And of course that was all by design. He wanted those people to walk over the border because once they're in the country, well they're in the country now, and you know, we'll put them up in a hotel and we'll treat them nice, and then one day they might become a citizen, and then who are they going to vote for. They're going to vote for the mob who let them over the border. Who knew it was as simple as turning off the tap. I mean, Trump has done the most obvious thing. He did it in his last presidency, and it worked. The only reason that Biden undid that and turned the tap back on is because he wanted those people in the country and he knew exactly what was going to happen.
Speaker 2: So there's a couple of lessons out of all of this. The first one is that sovereign borders or border control is a matter of political will, and where borders are open, it's not because there's some sort of problem. It's just an ideological bent. The Biden administration wanted open borders, so they got them. Trump wants a closed border, so he's got it. Biden was on the view as part of his rehabilitation too this week, and even as late as this week he was still claiming he would have closed the border, he just didn't get Senate approval to do it. Well, of course Trump hasn't got senate approval to close the border. He just went and did it because, as I said, it's a matter of political will. The other lesson from all of this, of course, and God willing, the coalition here will take note. You can win elections. Trump won an election primarily campaigning on the issue of porous borders. Kirs Starmer is now running scared because of the issue of porous borders. People understand, they're smart enough to realize borders are not racist. They're just what you require if you want to keep your own country as your own. And it's an absolute election winner in the West where mass migration has caused all sorts of problems. Controlled migration good, but out of control migration people are just sick of it. Let's come home to Australia. A big day in politics here with the leadership of the Liberal Party decided, and you've got to ask, is this an amazing opportunity or a poisoned chalice For Susan Lee. She was appointed the first ever female to lead the Liberal Party. Of course, the Liberal Party she inherits got a vote of just thirty one point eight percent, its lowest in history. And there's a lot of confusion about what they stand for. And the confusion isn't just among the general public, it's in the Liberal Party itself. As we'll see from her comments in just a moment. But here she is at a press conference today shortly after being appointed the new leader, talking about how she will approach this new role.
Speaker 7: I am humbled, I am honored, and I am up for the job.
Speaker 4: Every day.
Speaker 7: We will stand up for our values to anyone, anywhere, and we'll do it in the public debate and will do it in the Parliament.
Speaker 2: So they're going to stand up for their values. They'll do it anywhere with anyone. They're going to stand for their values. I want to show you what she said about net zero because of course this is probably the biggest issue in the country right now energy policy. So having just said is a stand up for liberal values and they're prepared to be very confident and bold with them. She was asked by Sky News Andrew Clanel. Does the pursuit of net zero still apply or are they going to move away from that. Here's what she said.
Speaker 7: We have to recognize that we need a strong country that is committed to a manufacturing base that relies on cheap, reliable energy.
Speaker 2: You're prepared to walk away from netsu.
Speaker 7: You're pretty words in my math, Andrew. No policies have been adopted or walked away from at this time.
Speaker 2: As she also said Caleban Liz that she's absolutely committed to reducing emissions. So she said, we've got to reduce emissions, that's absolute, but we've also got to take advantage of Australia's cheap energy, which is successible and has been part of our success story. You can't have it both ways. You can either have net zero or you can have cheap, reliable energy, which is that. She's got Ted O'Brien, the new deputy, standing beside.
Speaker 5: Her on promoting well, he was promoting nuclear energy until the campaign started and then we never saw him again.
Speaker 2: She wasn't committing to nuclear, she wasn't committing to net zero or to walking away from it. I just don't understand how you can come out and say we're going to stand for liberal values and then say every single policy that five minutes ago we were rock solid on is now all up for grabs. It was hardly convincing.
Speaker 3: I thought, well, perhaps, but you're in a difficult position because you've been elected leader five minutes ago. You don't really have the latitude to just stand up and start making policies up on the spot. You can't do that you need the will of the party to come with you if you're going to change policy. These are the discussions that they will now be having behind closed doors, and I suspect they will be very difficult discussions because if you look at the vote count, it was twenty nine in Lee's favor and twenty five in Angus Taylor's favor. So it is still a party that, you know, along factional lines you might call it is somewhat divided, and there are parts of that party that will absolutely believe they have to stick behind net zero and other parts of the party that will absolutely believe they ought to ditch it. So they need to have those fights now and say, look, what worked or didn't work more pertinently in the election that's just been and what are we going to come out with now. They'll then have to of course balance all of that up with the Nationals, that is having exactly the same discussion about whether they continue to back in the concept of net zero or not. If the Nats change their mind and say, well, we're not going to back zero anymore, it does kind of back the Libs into a corner and hopefully turns them in the right direction. I have to say that, I wasn't particularly enamored with either of the options we had, because of course you've got Angus Taylor, who was Shadow Treasurer, who led us into the well we're not going to back in Labour's tax cut, and we know how well that ended. And you had Susan Lee, who of course was deputy leader to Peter Dutton. So you have the two people who were essentially closest to Peter Dutton into cabinet now having to lead the party into a new era to learn all the lessons of what happened when they were so close to Peter Dutton. So I am somewhat skeptical of that, but I thought she did pretty well in that press of today. All things considered, I think it was the strongest performance I've probably seen from Susan Lee ever. Now that may be because we haven't seen a great deal of Susan Lee. So I wish her well and I hope that in the limelight now she can do a better job than I assessed she might be able to do. Before today. No one's heard a great deal about her, apart from when she was accused of flying up on the taxpayer's done to buy properties in Queensland.
Speaker 2: An interesting point, though she's been in parliament twenty four years, I think it is, and we're still trying to figure out how to pronounce her surname, whether it's Lee or Lee. You just said many people haven't heard much from her. Doesn't that say something? She's been in parliament so long and is largely unknown to to some degree.
Speaker 3: But that is often the problem for opposition leaders, that the people don't know who they are. And I mean I was in South Australia when Peter Malinowskis was opposition leader and then of course ran for premier, and the major criticism of Peter Malinowskis at the time was no one's ever.
Speaker 2: Heard of the plow in the Howard government.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, butment even then, you spend enough time in the wilderness, people don't necessarily recognize you. But to be twenty four years in a regional seat as a Liberal member and she's held that seat with a reasonably strong margin all that time is a pretty good effort in and of itself. So if she can do that, let's hope she can translate that to something on the national level. Again, you know, I don't think she was necessarily the best option for the job. I think Andrew Hasty was the best option for the job. But on what I saw today, I think she's got a reasonable go at it.
Speaker 5: I'm glad Andrew Hasey pulled himself out of the ring for this. I mean, I know that a lot of people were hopeful, but that is a prime minister of the future. You need to keep your powder dry. I think it would have been very reckless and such a waste to wiel your Ferrari out at a time and we know we're looking at at least two terms in opposition.
Speaker 4: You'd burned so much collateral. He'll do great in whatever.
Speaker 5: Portfolio he ends up in, which I very much assume he will be. But my goodness, no, I'm very glad that he pulled out.
Speaker 4: I just can't believe. Firstly, Susan, I only.
Speaker 5: Got up by three votes today, but I can't believe that people were voting for for me.
Speaker 4: It wasn't so much Angus Taylor.
Speaker 5: It was the idea of Senator Jacinta Nampa jimpa.
Speaker 4: Price as deputy.
Speaker 5: She would have been an absolute done and it was more the duo that sold the package for me, and I find it hard to believe that whatever factions were warring in the Liberal Party party room when this vote was taken, could not.
Speaker 4: See how that would be a real winner.
Speaker 5: I think it would have been so strong it certainly would have gotten my vote, Not that it matters because I wasn't there, But look, I'm hopeful that Susan lay can pull these guys together. Given how divided the pretty much straight down the middle almost the party room was today, she certainly got her work cut out for her, indeed, But here's hoping that brighter days are ahead, because right now it couldn't get much worse for the federal Liberal Party.
Speaker 3: And I hope she keeps just seeing an ampertuper price close to her now because she is she's a great asset for the Liberal past, incredibly and having changed party rooms and said that she wants to be a part of the Liberal party room, I hope they'd take that seriously and use her because she was so absent throughout the campaign, and I really think she is a vote winner. She's strong, she speaks directly to people. She represents so many things that are often so absent from politics, which is real life experience and you know, a hard upbringing and whatever. She's not a privileged person whatsoever. She can talk to the average joe and that's exactly what they need more of.
Speaker 2: She's been in Liberal Party five minutes and she is already their best communicator by far.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, and let's hope they use her. Speaking of communication, the message may not well have gotten through to you that es scooters are illegal in most of the country because if you walk out on the street you can see them pretty much everywhere. Yes, Victoria, New South Wales, they are currently illegal to own private ees scooters, but because it hasn't stopped anyone using them, so in New South Wales now they say, well, you can't beat it. They're out there already, so we'll change the law to make sure that they are illegal. But it'll come with a few rules. One will be that you have to be over sixteen to ride one. Fair enough, you need to be over sixteen to drive a car, et cetera, but you won't be able to ride it over twenty kilometers an hour. I very much look forward to the coppers sitting on the side of the road, you know, catching all the people getting around on their e scooters going over twenty kilometers or how dare they over twenty kilometers an hour? You won't be able to ride them on the footpath, you'll be able to ride them on the road, and you'll be able to ride them on shared paths like bike paths, et cetera. And now in Queensland they're talking about having an inquiry into this as well. Deb Frecklington, the Attorney General, says unsafe and unlawful riding practices can't be ignored. I hear the concerns of our communities loud and clear. It's time Queensland had clear, consistent and enforceable rules that keep pace with evolving technology and protect everyone using our shared public spaces. I will say, though, what is the fundamental difference between someone riding an e scooter and a bike?
Speaker 2: And here is the big problem with these laws. It will be illegal to ride an east scooter on the footpath, but you can still ride an e bike on the footpath. And it will be illegal to ride an EES scooter if you're under the age of sixteen, but it's not illegal to ride an EE bike if you're under the age of six.
Speaker 3: And you can't go over twenty kilometers an hour. I mean, if you told my father, he's a cyclist, that he couldn't do more than twenty k on his big he'd throw the thing at you.
Speaker 2: So you can do more than twenty k's on your e bike, you just can't do it on an e scooter. These laws are not only unenforceable, but there's so many contradictions in them. I'm not sure that they're going to flight. Doesn't make sense.
Speaker 4: And also, how are you going to make sixteen year olds aware?
Speaker 5: Like the vast majority of people that I see tearing around on these things are kids. They're teenagers or you'd say young twenties.
Speaker 4: They love to do it in packs. And who's going to be going around? What are you going to.
Speaker 5: Let a box it and be like, dear children, this is no longer allowed, and you must be under the twenty k's at all times and only in these I mean, it is, as you say, quite unenforceable because the target market you're not seeing adults getting around on these things. The target market is pretty much unreachable. If you're a parliamentarian getting up stating oh this is the law, now the kids aren't watching.
Speaker 3: Sorry to know one adult I have seen get around on an e scooter and I believe he did own one. I don't know if he still did. Trade Minister Don Farrell dead set was getting around Adelaide and I sent him a text. I was like, did I see you on an e Scooter's like, yeah, absolutely, I'm on board. I mean, if it's good enough for the Trade Minister, then it's good enough for the rest of it.
Speaker 2: I went to a football game at the Gather in Brisbane and I was trying to get an uber back to my hotel. Could not get an uber. Traffic was jammed, no public transport. So I'm walking back to the hotel across the story bridge and I saw a scooter and I thought, you know what, I'm going to give this a crash. Almost killed myself, but it was a lot of fun and I got to admit I'm a bit of a fan of them. We're going to go to a break when we come back to what's making news tomorrow, including the Victorian State government on a collision course with the Aboriginal Truth Telling Commission that they themselves commission that's coming up in the moment. Welcome back. Let's take a look at tomorrow's headlines. The front page of The Australian is always good and lives tomorrow's front pages no exception.
Speaker 4: Indeed, it does not disappoint.
Speaker 5: There's a little story in the right hand corner that says truth telling collision course for Premier Victoria's Yuruk truth Telling leader has taken aim at just center Allen's bail reforms and questioned the meaning of apologies from labor ministers and officials to indigenous communities. Where with you there, mate, We questioned the meaning of them on a daily basis, setting your rook Justice Commission on a coalision course with the government over law and order. Just weeks before the release of its final report from.
Speaker 4: Its four year roving Royal.
Speaker 5: Commission, Chair Eleanor Burke has warned of collateral damage from the government's bail laws. It goes on to say that Professor Burke said the final report would contain more than one hundred recommendations, so the Victorian government is going to be very busy sifting through those, and of course, given what they've said and how passionate they've been about this, they'll have quite a bit of egg on their faces if they don't agree to at least the vast majority of them.
Speaker 2: That was my key takeaway from having a look at this story. One hundred recommendations, how many of those do you think they could set aside without being accused of being racist and letting down every Indigenous person in Victoria. Amongst those recommendations, it's tipped to be changes to the school curriculum so that kids learn the true story of Victoria. As for bail laws, I mean, man, that's a big call to expect the government to change bail laws because it might adversely affect people of a specific community.
Speaker 4: Especially after they've just changed.
Speaker 3: It won't happen. I mean, it simply won't happen. Alan's not just going to roll over. Yes, it's all fine. Now I'll get rid of my Baylor. It's not going to happen. But it proves the point that, you know, don't go asking questions you don't want the answer to. And this is the problem. You say, oh, look it's all fine, or how great a we we're off saying that we want the opinion of Aboriginal people, and she will now have to turn around and dismiss many of those opinions.
Speaker 2: Because it's not just opinion it's truth.
Speaker 3: Well, Jack can't argue with that, can you? And you said you said the history true history of Victoria. It says here quote the true history of the place now called Victoria. James, you should be on top of that. By the way, is when you said you're going to talk about the story in the right hand corner, I thought you were going to talk about the one in the top right hand corner that says the Denham double take Ossie designers adding sophistication to a staple. I think that's well, we're talking about too.
Speaker 5: You're going to change the state of the nation to a headline that actually will. Though Bowen feels silent win at his back in Bolden's climate change and Energy Minister Chris Bowen has doubled down on Labour's rollout of Offshaw wind farms, renewables and the phase out of call fired power plans in a post election attack on critics of his green power agenda, who he declares were rejected by Australia's silent majority. After being sworn in on Tuesday for a second term, mister Bowen will turbocharge Labour's clean energy revolution to achieve the government's ambitious goal of eighty two percent of renewables in the electricity grid by twenty thirty.
Speaker 4: Who among us actually believes that in just.
Speaker 5: Five years' time we're going to have eighty two percent renewables powering our energy grid.
Speaker 4: I mean, what an actual laugh I feel like.
Speaker 5: And parties do this post election all the time. They go, oh, let's revisit our policies because obviously they re elected Labor and by such a large margin, so everyone loves all our policies. I'm one of those people who believes that the vast majority of Australians going to the polling booths aren't.
Speaker 4: That aware of your policies. Well, and truly I have stood on enough.
Speaker 5: Polling booths to know a lot of Ossie's vote because they don't want to copy fine for not voting. So for Labor to now say, oh, well, this is our mandate on every policy that.
Speaker 4: We took to the election. Similarly, for the.
Speaker 5: Liberals to be like, oh now we've got a urf every policy that we took to the election, I think is a massive mistake.
Speaker 4: It's simply not true.
Speaker 5: How do you know that people weren't just voting for a bit of stability are when Easy is the first Prime Minister since John Howard in two thousand and four to be a re elected PM. We've just had this revolving door of prime ministers. Who's to say that OSSI's weren't just like, you know what, I'm sick of that.
Speaker 2: Well, only one in three Australians actually voted for this government anyway. I do like the headline, I'm Caleb and you're newspaper man. I do wonder if the subby was having a bit of fun there with the wind at Bowen's back. I'm not sure what that refers to. But while Bowen thinks he's got the silent majority with him, that little story that's speed inserted there into that front page splash hitches slow down corporate sector's energy transition. It reports that Twiggy Forest has slashed ninety hydrogen jobs in the latest setback for the powersource. So you've got Chris Bowen saying the country's on board, and then you've got corporations saying, you know what, we need to slow this transition down. It's not going to work for you.
Speaker 3: We want to talk about bowen silent window. I think he's probably silent but deadly, I think is what he's done. By the way, I've just got an email here from a mob called covering Climate Now, and they say, dear colleague, join us next Wednesday, May the twitty first, for an hour long prep your climate coverage. Women are about summer heat and hurricanes. I think they must have sink back to the wrong calb bond. Let's get into the CANS boast tomorrow, where is pensioners fight rate ras. Retirees will deliver a hastily prepared deputation to CANS councilors protesting a staggering eight hundred percent rate hike. And this is indeed true that the Council in CANS wants to change the rules around retirement villages because at the moment, some retirement villages are sort of receiving an overall rates bill that means that per house or per dwelling inside the retirement village, each one is only paying you know, fifty odd bucks or something a year in rates, And so they will they say you should be paying the same as everyone who actually owns a freestanding dwelling is paying, which is a minimum of one thousand dollars a year. So in some of these retirement villages that have been operating well under the rules as they have been, they are being told an eight hundred percent rate hike is what they will face. Pensioners will go from paying fifty bucks a year to more than one thousand dollars a year because the council has gone, oh, will we better close that loophole and go and get the money. I mean, you know, I've often said it's not a rut, it's only ruwed if you're not in on it. But they were simply operating under the rules as they were. They bought into the place that being the rules, and then the council wants to turn around and say, no, actually, now you're going to pay one thousand dollars a year. Of course you'd be livid.
Speaker 5: And pensioners get reduced rates for all kinds of things. So it stands to reason, and I don't think other rate payers would have a problem with this, simply saying, heck, you're on a pension, we don't expect you to be able to afford what the rest of us can. When a lot of homes are double income, or even if you're single income, you're fetching a lot more than any pensioner.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's got the front page of the Adelaide Advertiser. Longest wait of All, reads the headlines. It's an exclusive story detailing a three year delay to the new women and Children's Hospital that could cost hundreds of millions of dollars. The article reads, Construction of Australia's most expensive building, the three point two billion dollar new Women's and Children's Hospital, faces a three year delay according to confidential documents based on previous estimates of a ten million dollar a month cost of any delay, the blowout could run to if it goes the whole three years, an extra three hundred and sixty million dollars. This project was first begun by the Labor Party in twenty thirteen, was due to be completed about now, but may go on a lot longer. You're estimating it could be twenty years before it actually opens. That's quite an overrun and quite a delay. Just incredible.
Speaker 4: Indeed, to the front page of the Herald Son. Now very interesting story. Ladies. Listen up.
Speaker 5: If you have endometriosis or know anyone who does, here's one of interest to you.
Speaker 4: Endopain relief diet.
Speaker 5: The headline reads a special diet designed by scientists can manage common but often overlooked endometriosis symptoms. A new study has found and Monash University reached the churches discovered women with the chronic illness can reduce their gastro intestinal symptoms by lowering their intake of a key group of carbohydrates in.
Speaker 4: A world first trial.
Speaker 5: The low fod MAP diet was first developed by Monash for patients with irritable bowel syndrome, but this new study shows he could also reduce pain for women with endometriosis. I mean, if indeed true. Heck, I don't know anyone with endometriosis who wouldn't be willing to give anything a go if it might help out with their sympact.
Speaker 2: That very good. All right, We're going to go to a break. When we come back, we'll play you a race callers call horse racing. You don't have to be a horse racing fan like my friend Caleb to appreciate it. We'll plat for you. Here's the second. How does that old expression go with friends like these? Who needs enemies? I think that might apply to Donald Trump. Trump has just lowered the cost of medicines in the US. And he told the story of a friend who was traveling abroad and reported just how expensive US drugs are compared to overseas. He told the story in support of his policy, But I don't know that he needed to go into all the details about his friend.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll tell you a story. Friend of mine who's a business man, very very, very top guy.
Speaker 4: Most of you would have heard of him.
Speaker 1: A highly neurotic, brilliant businessman, seriously overweight, and he takes to fat shot drug.
Speaker 2: Very successful, very rich.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't even know how we would know this.
Speaker 1: But because he's got comments, President, could I ask.
Speaker 4: You a question.
Speaker 1: What I'm in London and I just paid for this damn fat drug I take. I said, it's not working, he said, He said, I just paid eighty eight dollars and in New York I paid thirteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: What the hell is going on?
Speaker 2: Let me tell you about my friend. He is new ronic, he's seriously overweight, he's taking the fat shot. I gotta say, the fat shot. I hate working for him. Who needs friends? Like dog Trum.
Speaker 5: Seriously belongs in a comedian standard routine. All you need is a sein Felt? Is he playing in the background. I have this friend I love that. He's like trying to sell this new executive order that he signed on Monday, and so he uses this example of a friend of his. He's probably sitting at home watching being like, oh fatty. People can probably pull out who I am based on that poor little fatty.
Speaker 3: Now, of course, if you were watching Mornington Race six yesterday, you're on Williamstown paid three ninety one by half lengths. He'd be very happy. But there was another horse in the race that raised a few eyebrows.
Speaker 8: Williamstown gets off the fence to give chase unfair dismissal a shot back by the looks of the tax's fortune making ground, and then an alarm goes off to scare this out of the race corder. They were followed further back in the field by Marissa.
Speaker 3: And if I knew there was a horse, could an alarm goes off to scare the you know what out of the race caller? I would have had a bed on the thing. Terry Bailey, he's known for going the early crow, but you would have forgiven him for jumping up and down after that thing went on.
Speaker 2: Bunny's not bad at all, well, that's it from us to stick around. Coming up is the Read a Penny Show, good Night,