Speaker 1: From the Skying Center. This is Paul Murray Live. All right, so cayleb let me explain to the jail person after the show. All right, after the show, thank you so much for watching wherever you're happy to be big Sunday night ahead, including our bold predictions for the week ahead. But as the weather starts to cool off in much of the country, it gets even better in the magical state of Queensland. And that's the next location for our ourtown event once a month where we go to regional Australian and we celebrate all that he is awesome. You can join us a couple of sun day's time, the twenty fifth of May. Now as well, I have been banging on and on and all the planning meetings for these things. I want to do it outside. I want to do it outside. But what about the weather. Well, fingers crossed, no rain in cans Or. Of course it'll be for some reason a magic wet season Sunday. But we'll be outside having fun pool side and yeah, I may well not wear the toles. Don't worry. Sunday the twenty fifth of May. Outoud. It's gone news dot com that you outdown at skinem dot Au. All right, off the top, let's go for the brownie points. I love is Sharn She's of course the mother to my beautiful two kids. We have been together since year eleven at school. We've been together for a long time, and of course she was my favorite person in the world, and then as the mother, becomes the favorite person in the world to my two beautiful daughters in Asher and Zadi, who probably need to go to bed it is a school night. So mums are the ones who sacrifice, the ones who have to do it all and then a whole lot more. And in our house that is beautiful shann me doing this job is the greatest professional thrill I had in my life. But it means I don't tuck my kids in, and it means often I can be sleeping when the kids get up in the morning. So she does all the hard work and I love her oh so much and I will forevermore to my beautiful mum Jude as well, love you, Thank you for all of your sacrifices. We had a lovely time with Stanley and the team. It leaves for Tuna on Friday night, which was fabulous. Happy birthday to her, as well, and to all of the mums who are the new mums first around, to all of those that have seen many a Mother's Day before, and also strength and love to all that we think about on this particular day because Mum's no longer with us. So again, strength and love and happy Mother's Day. What a beautiful time it is as we all celebrate and love the most important people in our family. Well, of course, today was everything from I'll meet you for brunch, I'll pick you up, I'll take you for a drive, let's go up the mountains. We'll go for a drive, we'll have some fish and chips.
Speaker 2: Love.
Speaker 1: Whatever Mum wants to do, we do it, and we try to do it in droves. Few other people, well, they're a little different than you and I because they're up and fight and fit, and they are out and about and all around the country people were doing all sorts of runs for the mums that they have no have lost through things like ovarian and breast cancer, or the women who have survived it, or of course the men who love those women. Oh, so to everyone who was involved in those runs today, again, congratulations to each and every one of you, and love to your mums too.
Speaker 3: The wife was diagnosed and she has come through that experience very well. So we're celebrating with a runner.
Speaker 4: She walked into our house today and she said, oh, they're going for a ten care line.
Speaker 1: Now. One of the unique ways that people have mentioned mothers today was by the Defense Force. Good on this then normally they do this for say Christmas Day, but the Australian Defense Force, via their media organization, has gone off and given an opportunity for the people who are serving their country and are not able to see their mums today, be it from the other part of the country or maybe the other side of the world. As you can see, they had their chance to say Happy Mother's Day, so on their behalf, happy Mother's Day to their mums.
Speaker 5: Hey mom, it's me your favorite daughter. Happy Mother's Day.
Speaker 1: Love you guys, and thank you so much for your service. All right now, I could sit here and do what we kind of did maybe too much of last week but still relevant, which was to go over the reaction to the election. But I'm not going to put you through that tonight. Relax, even though I could you all of the details from all of the entrials, including the ABC who went and found people who said the reason they didn't vote for the Liberal Party was because the slogan get austrated back on track was too clothes to make Astra make America great again. What no back on track was a reference to the fact that more than fifty percent of the country thinks the country is in the wrong direction, the wrong track, but anyway. And then there were the people who said that it's all the work from home stuff, and that's the reason why they decided to invote whatever. You've heard it all before, you've also heard almost any and every person with any tangential or serious connection of the Liberal Party saying, well, their plan is for the next three years, any.
Speaker 6: And all the policies we took to the election we will need to review and revisit. It doesn't mean we're going to dub them all, but it also doesn't mean we automatically keep them.
Speaker 7: There is nothing wrong with the Liberal Party's values, but its capacity to project those values through policy, through leadership, through through its language, through its offering to the public is I think where we let ourselves down.
Speaker 1: Now valuable conversation and one that we have to have in droops and drabs over the next three years. But I probably rule a line under Okay, that's too much. When this person turns up on the ABC and basically, look, I'm going to take a bet hasn't voted Liberal a few elections in her life, but we'll see. And her suggestion for how the Liberal Party can turn itself into anything but the Liberal Party to save itself from anything about the Liberal Party.
Speaker 8: I wish that someone from the Liberal Party would bring me in for a day.
Speaker 1: I'd given them a course on something. It'd be very helpful.
Speaker 6: What would you say to them, I would say, wake up tomorrow and decide you're the teals.
Speaker 4: Wake up tomorrow and don't just emulate the kind of candidates.
Speaker 8: You pick, but the kind of policies that they.
Speaker 1: Agree on collectively. You need to be socially progressive.
Speaker 8: You are living one hundred years ago and you are dreaming of this old Australia that no one in this country wants or foresees as the future.
Speaker 1: Look, I get it bad loss too on the Trot They did win an election. What in twenty nineteen, you're living one hundred All this stuff this is a bit like remember in the nineties when all the Howard Hages used to talk about the nineteen fifties. The nineteen fifties, So okay, let me say this about the plan for this show going forward. Now, you know I like data. When there's data, I'm going to talk about data. I'm not going to hide the reality of things. But I'm also not going to wallow in things. I get it. I've got a lot a few complain emails last week, and I always want to be the show that's confident and forward facing and fight fight, fight. But we couldn't have spent last week pretending that the result wasn't what it was. And I'm not going to ignore it for the next three years. But let's turn to some positives. And regardless of who ends up being the leader, isn't it going to be fantastic that you Sto Nampa jimper Price will end up as the deputy leader of the Liberal Party. Now this is a fascinating move. Now we know that there is a lot of trouble with the National Party blowing up that she's left a version of the National Party to join the Liberal Party, and that will mean that presumably she's not going to be running for the Senate again in two years. Time. She made some references to a coastal community I think in New South Wales. I'll double check, so maybe she might be coming to the Lower House from something like that in three years time. But regardless of who the leader is, just JEPI Price looks like she will beat the deputy leader. Should be still in this spine and she'll be able to argue with anyone anywhere what she believes in. Whether this turns an election or not, we'll all find now. But if nothing else, that's what you want in your political leader, right You want that if you're somebody who's a hardcore green, labor liberal or whatever, that you want somebody in the leadership structure not to say the things that are on double check. Is this going to work? Not going to work? Somebody who's going to shoot straight. Three examples of her shooting straight today. Number one.
Speaker 8: I have made the decision, and the decision wasn't taken lightly. You know, I'm very passionate about our country and the direction in which it is going because I've seen how socialism has destroyed the lives of those that I love in remote communities, and with the Labor government now in power for three more years, it is the most marginalized who miss out the most, you know, let alone every day Australians.
Speaker 7: In all of this.
Speaker 8: And so I guess the fighter in me feels I'm obliged to step up.
Speaker 1: Good honor now again. She could be one of these people who, like some that were rumored, are going to fit it out for a couple of years. Wait, a couple of elections, burn the front bench, burn the back bench, and then when there's two Liberals left, there'll be the one that miraculously will become leader and three years later we'll win seventy six seats. No, she's gone with this, bugger this, I'm into the fight again. By effectively walking away from the National Party the Country Liberal Party, which is again aversion of the National Party in the Northern Territory, Well, they won't pre select her again to be a senator even if she is the deputy leader of the Liberal Party because of these internal games. So her putting her hand up to say I want to be the deputy leader means she can find her way towards a winnable seat the next election. Then three years after that, guess whom we might be talking about as a potential prime Minister. She doesn't miss including about where her own party decided to make some choices and win the wrong direction.
Speaker 8: After the result of their referendum, it was evident what we needed to do. Instead of looking at the polls and thinking, look, we're not going to win this, we had to get in there and actually change the narrative, lead the narrative in the argument, and also hang around the neck of the Prime minister his failings pin his lies to him.
Speaker 1: I don't completely agree with that because, as I have said before, remember Bob Hawk lost a whole bunch of referenda, but he still won a whole bunch of terms. So there's not always a straight line, and she's not saying that, but there's not a straight line between losing a referendum and losing government. But the opportunity to knock off the first term government, as historically difficult as that was, well, again, most of the country disappeared for the Prime minister, most of the country didn't vote a preference one for the Labor Party. Most of the country still thinks that we're headed in the wrong direction. So those were all vital things that seem to have been missed. But she does have a preference about who on Tuesday should be the leader of the Liberal Party. She's running with the former shadow treasurer Angus Taylor.
Speaker 8: He is a pragmatic, deep thinking individual who I would absolutely be privileged to serve beside going forward for the benefit of the Liberal Party.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know what's going to happen inside the Liberal Party room. It's hard to work out exactly where the factions sit in how many of this and how many of that, and what the goldilocks position is here after the election, because with just forty seats, even way down from the way down of twenty twenty two, it's hard to work out exactly who is going to be going in which direction. But Susan Lee, she believes that she is the best person for the job. She of course came forward along with Angus Taylor and did the unusual thing because normally it's about talking to your collicus. They're the only ones that are going to make the decisions. It doesn't matter what people on TV or radio think about this, but they're deciding to include the people and doing some videos to kind of make themselves look sort of a bit inevitable. Dare I say so?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: Is what Susan Laigh had to say today. Susan Leo I should say about why she wants to be the next leader of the Liberal Party and thus alternative Prime Minister.
Speaker 9: I've listened. We got it wrong. We need to do things differently going forward, and we do need a fresh approach. So on Tuesday morning, when the Liberal Party room meets in Canberra, I will be putting myself forward for the position of Leader of the Federal Party. We do need to reflect a modern Liberal party meeting modern Australians in every single walk of life across the country.
Speaker 1: As for Angus Taylor, and again, the big move in and around your cint nampajinper Price is not just to move votes, but also to move expectations that he will be next in line. This was his pitch over the weekend.
Speaker 10: This moment demands experience, energy and a plan. Australians want more than opposition. They want a real alternative, one that understands them, one that earns back their trust. I'm standing for leader to make sure we're ready. Let's regroup, rebuild and get back in the fight now.
Speaker 1: Yes, over many years I've sat here, been part of the fights about the lefties of the Liberal Party or the right we have a Liberal Party or the Bedweaders, who of course are worried about their own back seats. And in many ways, whichever third is left out is the one that the media turns to to cause as much trouble as possible. Why because they aren't interested in the Liberal Party being competitive, let alone winning. So can everyone, regardless of what happens on Tuesday, not start a blood feud that runs for the next three years, but back in whoever wins on Tuesday for the next three years. Because Dave Shama puts it.
Speaker 6: Right, and I think it's very important that which whatever the outcome is, everyone respects the result, and everyone gets behind the new leader and make sure that they have the best prospects of success as possible. I know that's not going to be easy, but you know, we don't have the luxury of being able to tear ourselves apart over the next year or two. Our party rems not enough, Our level of public support is not high enough to indulge ourselves in that way.
Speaker 1: Strong strong, strong point. I might have a little bit to say into the future about how the Liberal Party can show a little bit more discipline even when yes, there will be some MPs that are dissatisfied with the leader, but I'll get to that a bit later. But before we get to Tuesday, we go through Monday and tomorrow is when there will be a decision about the future of the National Party. Now, remember they held on to all of their seats. But there is an absolute belief from people like Matt Canavan that it is time to be absolute about anti ned zero, to stand in a very strong position and if that even means walking away at times from what the Liberals want, then that's what they should do. Well, David Little Proud who says no greatest strength together while standing up for regional areas. This vote happens tomorrow morning, full coverage in the morning and throughout the day here on Sky News. For the current leader, this is what he's saying publicly this weekend.
Speaker 11: I'm proud of my record. I'm comfortable, mind skin, but it's the party room's decision. I'll have those conversations with those members of the party room in a respectful way and whatever happens happens. But I'm still committed to the National Party.
Speaker 1: And as for Matt Canavan, his pitch about why he now remember, well, just at an Opjeb Price, we'll be running to be deputy Liberal leader. That wouldn't make her the deputy Opposition leader. The deputy Opposition leader is always the leader of the National Party. Hence why they become the deputy prime minister. Not just the deputy Liberal becomes the deputy prime minister. This is what Matt Canavan had to say in his pitch again the vote tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I'm running because I think we have to end the tyranny of groupthink in our country. Over the last few years, A Paul has come down in our nation, which has not allowed the debate, which has seen any kind of descent from the prevailing view is somehow disloyal. I think austrained people deserve a choice, a proper choice. I don't think we got that at the election because I felt, especially at the National's Party, we pulled our punches sometimes we explicitly decided to turn the volume down on our party in an ultimately futile attempt to help the Liberals win seats in the city. That strategy didn't work, so we need a new plan.
Speaker 1: So Monday's National Party, Tuesday's Liberal Party and who knows when the Greens will make their decision about whom their next leader is after Adam Bant lost his seat and she just didn't this weekend people just stop me in the street to express their grief. Well, that race seems to be a three way one between Sarah Hanson Young who would be the person who spend the most time in the parliament, Marine Ferruki who remember, if you attack her anything is racist, same way Sarah Hanson Young. I can show you the book where she even calls our people like me for commenting about her at all, that they are sexist. And of course the super woke, super lefty current Deputy leader from Queensland, the Rissa Waters. Now, I'd love to be able to tell you what any of these people had to say about their pitch, or if any of these people are actually confirming that they are running to be the leader of the party. But guess what. The party that claims to be the most connected to the people, the most downward democracy, the ones who constantly have mass meetings of their party, guess what, duck egg, nothing, zero tumbleweed. It's all playing out behind closed doors. Remember that next time they lecture any other political Party about how they work these people. If they have a battle of two, it could well end up being voted upon by those MPs. But in every leadership change since they became the party that they have become, since Bob brown Butt on his past, it is not fought over watch this space. On Friday, the Prime Minister walked in front of a massive party room. Why because there's more than ninety people in there now is MPs for the Labor Party. I'll save you the victory moments. You can watch that on almost every other version of the media right now. But as you know, two ministers were dropped from current ministries, one the Attorney General, that being Mark Dreyfus, and the Industry and Science Minister Ed Husick. He has gone now. I'm sure it doesn't help Ed that I publicly say that I like the guy. But I like the guy when way back when in opposition, we had him on the program often as just a backbench Labor MP who was always honest and open about his opinions. He was also absolute about his beliefs, which means sometimes you come to serious disagreements. But the wonderful thing that I like about Ed in particular is that he sees the humanity in his political opponents, and when you have a conversation away from the microphones, away from the cameras, he is a thoroughly decent person. Again, I'm sorry, Ed, I know that that puts you into a column with albow, but I cannot lie. You're a very good and decent man. Now. Mark Dreyfus has of course been Attorney General for some period of time. I'm not a fan of how he is publicly. I recognized he's had a very difficult private life after his wife passed away in the past twelve months, So not good on top of all of that to be moved on in terms of your political career. Both remain labor in pas, but they will not be mens. Well. Today, Ed Husick decided to do what very few labour people do when the machine rolls over them. He didn't go quietly into the night. He had already been booked for an interview on the Insiders program with David Spears this morning over on the ABC. This was before he was dumped as a minister, But rather than pulling out of that appearance, he held on to that appearance, which, when he was able to speak his mind and it will ruffle feathers, it may cost him future career progression. But this is a guy who's never going to go down without a fight and will always be looking you in the eye when the fight is on.
Speaker 12: We've had a sort of bare faced ambition and a deputy prime minister wheeled a factional club to reshape the ministry. I think when people look at a deputy prime minister, they expect to see a statesman, not a factional assassin.
Speaker 1: Now that's a while in terms of all the things said about politicians, that's hardly in the outrageous category. But for a labor person to criticize another labor person publicly while they are serving in the same government, big deal, big deal, specifically going after a person who is in the leadership structure. Big deal, big deal. Now it says that's basically it. He said what he's going to say, and he goes off to the back bench, hoping that his talents will bring him back to the front bench. But we'll all have to wait, watch and see. He also goes on here to say the Prime Minister should have overruled those who decided to push him out of the way because he was a quote unquote valued member of the Prime Minister's team.
Speaker 12: The PM had great authority coming out of the election. I think if you'd exercise it in a way that provided for stability and a strong team that had been there and could go forward, no one would have quibbled about that.
Speaker 1: So I was going to ask you about the role of the Prime Minister.
Speaker 12: Do you think he should have intervened or not? Well, of course, right like I'm not going to sit here with false modesty.
Speaker 1: Of course, for what it's worth it do you are always welcome in the man cave. I look forward to you being able to do so now as a back bench imp will not impress the boss, and I know you will still be loyal to the course, but you are always welcome here. He's a good bloke. He really is at the opposite end of things. Jim Chalmers, the man who, well, looking at the result a couple of weeks ago, in fact last week, would be saying, how good's this. We're back for seventeen terms. The Libs will never rule again. We've got them all locked in, which means I'm eventually going to take over as leader. But that's okay. I'm not in a rush because Albo's going to be there for five elections and I can be there for five elections. So he's out and about telling anyone who'll listened this weekend. Then he needs more than two terms to fix the economy, so already banking on another election win after this one. I'll be honest, this is the sort of stuff that people think is a little bit egotastic, a little bit into one's own supply. However, no one can pretend that forty is a much smaller number than ninety. And even if there's ten seats that are dropped at the next election, and why would they who knows? That still puts them into a majority plus four, so that lose twenty guess what a long way? A long way from a change. So Charmers thinks, basically, Okay, I'm going to be the Costello to this blokes Howard. But I won't do what Costello did, which was constantly run down Howard. I won't find a way to throw the leader under the bus. I will be his best mate right up until the end, whenever that end will be either by the politicians or the people's choosing. Well, I'll tell you what I know. We're not allowed as those that didn't vote for the government to criticize the government in any way, shape or form, because if we do well, of course we're fighting culture wars, or we're speaking from one hundred years ago or all that other passive aggressive rubbish. No free country. We can still speak against power. Believe it or not, it is okay. Just a couple of little pieces of information that were happening in the Australian economy that clearly didn't affect the election, but are an example that while yes they're going to say we've turned the corner, and clearly the majority of Australians believe that we have turned the corner, that we're not all the way around the corner. Yet again from that far right wing thing tank what is it? The Australian Bureau of Statistics. All household types saw rises in quarterly cost of living costs in the March quarter. That's according to the Bureau of Statistics. You know, little stuff like health, housing and food were main contributors to high living costs. The acting the head of Prices and Statistics says that the rise in pharmaceutical products, medical and hospital services, electricity. But I thought that had gone down. That's apparently what the majority of people believe, along with fruit and vegetables have contributed to higher living costs for all household types. This quarter, households with government payments i e. Those who need welfare and get welfare the most. Guess what, they saw the largest rise in their cost of living. Yet they kept voting for the same people meantime, again just to show how they need another seventeen years in power to deal with the Australian economy, which we are not allowed to criticize, because if we are, we are somehow talking down the Australian economy. And the majority of voters clearly seemed to suggest that they thought the current mob with the better mob to deal with it, or they didn't care about these issues. The task in front of Jim Chalmers again Australian Bureau of Statistics. The amount of money that households have been spending has fallen, so costs are spending down. What about building homes because you know, like a couple of million people brought into the country which they were able to turn into some sort of attack on everyone else has ever been brought into the country or come to the country rather than you just saying it's an extra million people on top of all of the other queues that exist in the country. They're good at what they do, the Labor Party are they well, guess what the number of houses being approved? That also felt the total number of dwellings fail eight and a bit percent in March. Nothing to see here? What one two million people into the country via immigration. Just fifteen thousand houses approved in three months? Nothing to see here? Thanks for voting for us again, perfect example. Right, I'm not going to sit here not sucking my thumb. Game recognizes game. Labor is amazing and being able to change the subject Labor is amazing at being able to pretend that those of us who spoke about whether or not you should just keep adding more people to a queue. You see, they made it it sound like we were criticizing the queue, not the government for adding people to the queue, or the reason the queue was as long as it was. And guess what, the people in the queue bought it. They agreed. It's unbelievable, but it is the way it is. And yes, a week on, the smile is back, the pep is in our step and we will always fight, fight, fight, because that's the way that we live, live live, regardless of who is the leader of this party or that party, whether they're already planning on a third and a fourth term publicly not privately, they're saying it publicly. Well, the joy of a free country is even if you are the last person left who disagrees with the machine that is in charge. Well, guess what we will steal? As the band would call itself, rage against it all Right, quick break back with more plenty to talk about hit tonight. Remember going I send men in my Politsguardnews dot com dot a you, but the main emails is our town at skynews dot com, dott you cans couple of weeks last Sunday in May join us for an ourtown outside in Queensland as we start to get a little bit cool and head our way towards winter. Just firing up tonight, though, thanks for watching. Well, I knew I was going to see Darren Bunnett in the man cave, but perhaps I should read my notes from Wonderful Lucy, the wonderful life saving executiveroducer of this program, and I would have noticed that Christy McSweeney is here as well. Hello one and all look so abating.
Speaker 3: It's a high school reunion.
Speaker 5: I'm so great, isn't it? And isn't it high school terristity?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 5: Indeed, we'll talk about that would have the.
Speaker 13: Whole polay school face. You were just quite, you didn't know anything. I love it, Okay. So whatever happens with the liberal leadership, just see the damper. Juber Price will be the deputy. We haven't heard of anyone suggesting that there's going to be a contest there. So it's kind of all or nothing in terms of leadership for Susan Lee moving from deputy up or Angus Taylor from treasurer up Christie. If you want to say which way if you would vote, fine, but let's talk about the center of it all. Incredibly popular with people who voted for the coalition last sea. Yeah, and clearly somebody who was effective and can reach beyond that number, as we saw when it came.
Speaker 1: To the Voice. So I've got to say I liked it either way. When it comes to a leader, that you're going to have a person who can sit in the man cave or go on Q and A and be just as persuasive.
Speaker 4: Look, I think she's fantastic, and I will say uncommon to senators. She actually has faced an election of the public in local government in the Alice where she's from. So and she's also prosecuted the No case, which was a mini campaign. Sure, so there's a lot of senators putting their two cents in who have never actually Dawn often faced the public and ran for general election, and she has.
Speaker 5: So I make that point.
Speaker 4: Look, I will also make the point to be Devil's advocate here, being in Parliament three years, not in the Liberal Party and taking on the role of deputy leader is a really difficult cultural bridge to cross. Deputy leadership is about the factional issues, the dealings, who's upset with who, who's jostling for promotion, issues within the wider coalition diaspora, and the deputy leader, whomever it may be, is going to have to take a significant role in working with the federal director in that root and branch restructure of the party. And someone with no cultural history of the Liberal Party, I think that's a really big bow to draw.
Speaker 5: So that's all I'll put there.
Speaker 4: That's a risk not taking away from what a wonderful.
Speaker 1: Politician she is, and this is the thing. Right, if you watch your show for long enough, you know on nights like this we'll be having conversations like this. It's not about advocacy for one thing or the other. It's about understanding all of those things so that if one thing happens, you can start to put to an two together. Right. Interestingly, I thought when just into namperjiper Price was on with the Outsiders this morning, I liked what she said about the campaign. Thus gone, let me explain why after you hear from her.
Speaker 8: We ran an election driven by fear and that should never have been the case because the Australian people could see that some of us had some wonderful policies, but we were stifled from being able to give that message, tell Australians what it was we were providing what we had on offer and do it with conviction.
Speaker 1: That was a lost opportunity, Jarren. When I was talking with Nigel Farag last week and they just had that phenomenal result in a completely different voting system. But in the local council elections right where think about reform, which didn't exist a couple of years ago, has more seats, higher percentage of the vote than any other existing political party. Right, he talked about the power of being a happy warrior, and I think it's such a thing that so many politicians need to be reminded. Now I get it, you're running for the most serious of jobs. Is not just about, you know, giggling and taking the piss all the time, but being a happy warrior is really important when you're trying to convince people not just that you can be the leader, but that you're going to be a decent person along the way.
Speaker 3: Right, Look, there's a couple of things to send a price in her interview. I think part of the problem the fear was provided by someone else. It was provided by Trump and look at Farage. Farage, even when Zelenski and Trump were in the White House, everyone in the British Parliament backed the Ukraine and that included Faraj correctly seeing it at the time that the fear in the Australian election was provided a little bit by Ukraine but a lot. By the day our share market tanked. That fear was inserted, whether the Liberal Party liked it or not, and it flipped the switch to almost to kind of do you want to change horses mid stream to go back to the old wag the dog analogy that labor became the safe pair of hands. Do you want to take a risk? So I don't think the Liberals ran a bad campaign in the sense that, you know, the campaign they wanted to run, they couldn't run correct. And that wasn't their fault. They couldn't run it in the hand fault. Now, hey, I'm there. I'm going to change that a little bit. You've got to be adaptable. But the campaign that they had designed, they in the end they couldn't run it correct. Well, as we show, it was a factor, whether you like it or not.
Speaker 1: I mean, as I showed everyone last week right one of the things. And again I'm not going to go too deep into it. I know how it bore some, but for the point of understanding, okay, was that in February mortgage holders fifty one forty nine to labor. Then the first of the interest rate cuts fifty to fifty did. Then the stock market stuff in relation to tariffs and also the Zelenski stuff started to push it fifty one to forty nine, and then obviously ends up forty five, which of course.
Speaker 3: Was the wider tax cuts too, which well inexplicably a liberal party didn't back tax cards what they did and they went into fifteen perpetual stations, but it gave people the idea that momentum was shifting. Life has been difficult, but it might be going to get a little bit better.
Speaker 5: And the right cut came.
Speaker 3: In and the right cup Paul mentioned the right and also rate card and the tax card. They both just gave people a bit of hope. And that's where you get back to that happy warrior st that Albanezy, to his great credit, ran an incredibly positive upbeat campaign and he looked like he was on top of his brief and three years ago he was a bit shakier, but he looked in charge and in control. So that worked for him.
Speaker 1: So let's get to which way the liberals go? Okay, And I've been really thinking about this, like in the days off right, just thinking okay for a long time, people who viewed the world in left and right. Maybe now it's a little bit different in terms of age modernity versus not necessarily looking backwards, but the idea of how do we bring the best of our former days into the future. I sort of think and I say, this is a person who says no Sook's no lefties on TV. Right, that maybe this way of viewing the world perhaps perhaps appropriate even six years ago in the twenty nineteen. Just the language doesn't quite fit where people are today. Doesn't mean I won't use the term from time to time, but I've just been thinking about it. So again, I'm sure you will have your views in terms of the who politically is best this, that and the other. But let's be honest here and again. If friends can't be honest, then what's the point of being a friend? Right, Angus Taylor was either the bloke who made the decision about knocking back the tax cuts or Susan Lee is the person who was in the room approving many of the decisions that ultimately cost them in the campaign. Right, So, both these people are not in a clean skin environment, but they seem to because they're not really doing interviews and all the rest of it. That'll be the first seven thirty report that'll turn around and say this day and that day, And that's part of the joy of digging your way out. Remember when it came to Bill Shorten, he put his hand up the membership wanted elbow. He of course had the MP stitched up, but he was the faceless man from the rud Gillard rud stuff. People remembered that, and obviously in and around the tax stuff people are going to remember that as a big problem of the last in a while. That's not me advocating for Susan Lee or pro Taylor, but as a person who's run for the party and certainly cares about them. Which way do you think that they will go? How do they construct? How do they look new by Wednesday?
Speaker 4: Well, there's two things here right, And I'm old enough to be around for since the Howard government.
Speaker 5: I've done this twenty odd.
Speaker 4: Years now, and it is true if you read in the coverage that you know, John Howard used to say, we're a broad church and I'm more than anyone hate talking about how it amands is because I think it's.
Speaker 5: A pre digital era.
Speaker 4: It's almost like a pre modern Australia. You know, one in eight people claim Indian heritage. Now in this country, many of our large cities are thirty percent overseas board. Howard didn't deal with that level of modernity day in Australia. It doesn't, but there is a great propensity of people running for positions to stand up and talk about those things, which doesn't actually tackle.
Speaker 5: The real issues.
Speaker 4: And how do we deal with diversity, Well, they get little and they get annoyed.
Speaker 1: To be too. Right, Aboriginal people didn't count as human and it was illegal to.
Speaker 4: Be gained, exactly right, and he was very happy with that, all of us with women who are married not having a job.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So if we went to an election with those views of men's is of the nineteen forties, we'd be rightly decimated. Right, So not all of it is applicable. You know, people have to move on. But it's very hard to talk about a modern Australia in a sense that needs to be talked about when you are in the position of pitching two members because members believe in things that aren't necessarily reflective of what voters will Vos.
Speaker 1: Labor members or Greens members, members of parties way.
Speaker 4: Often right, So there's two issues here. You have to pitch to the party room and then you have to pitch to your branch members. But that has to be fit for purpose in terms of an electual reality of what people are actually going to vote for. And I think there's a real struggle to intersect those two things at the moment in the party with all candidates.
Speaker 1: You've lived this in labor. You've seen these moments where, oh, it's the end of times. If we go this way, we're going to make everything worse. If we go that way, it'll make everything even worse.
Speaker 3: After every big election loss, when you've been in government for a while and you look at it and you say, there's no way known we could ever win the seat of Lindsay and the seat of Sydney in the same election. We all go through these identity crises as political parties. But I think the problem at the moment that the Liberals. There's a few different problems, but women have not voted for them a couple of elections in a row. Younger people have not voted for them, a couple of elections in a row. Curiously, at Christmas polling indicated sort of second generation and cultury and linguistically diverse background. They did have some standing, but by the time the election came around that had fallen off too. So it's been reported in some of the papers over the weekend there's pressure on people from their own branch members, but they are Howard era boomers.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: So there's a different mentality of your local branch compared to those who have deserted the Liberals since they were in government under three prime ministers. And that is the identity crisis for that reason. Probably on that logic, think Susan Lee. But equally is Susan Lee. Brenda Nelson where lovely bloke. But he wasn't there for the three years. He was never going to be there for the three years, he.
Speaker 1: Said Malcolm Turmbull the day he became leader, telling him he should be out of the room because you want a way of doom.
Speaker 3: Do you want contrast? And if you want contrast and you really want to take the ball up and have the fight, then probably Taylor and Price is a better way of creating a contrast.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: And can I say of the jostling for the two candidates, don't discount a third candidate.
Speaker 5: Yes, there's people yet.
Speaker 4: To be called and yet to turn up, and I know I've been part of them. There's many conversations going around. People are very unhappy with either.
Speaker 5: Of the choices.
Speaker 1: Jim Wilson stuff.
Speaker 4: Possibly and others don't discount it. And we see this in politics all the time. We have the two favorite horses, and then we have somebody very clever who has the ability to bring.
Speaker 5: Both sides come together.
Speaker 4: And quite frankly, I've heard more sense from Tim Wilson in the last three days than I have from.
Speaker 5: Most people for a whole eighteen months on the front bench.
Speaker 3: To be fair to Tim Wilson, that's an extraordinary win.
Speaker 1: Massive He's done it.
Speaker 4: He's brought the boomers together with the teal shardon I Drinkers's extraordinary.
Speaker 5: No one else has done it, and he's.
Speaker 4: Done it by self confessedly ignoring the party's advice on how to run the cat pack.
Speaker 1: Well, my weird idea, wed, My weird idea is that you can make kind of the best of all worlds here, car, which is that you can have your leader. Why not two deputies? Right? Why not just into amper duper price and Tim Wilson Right. The only reason I talk about Tim Wilson with particular focus is he was so important in twenty nineteen about the Franklin credit stuff. Right, He's so apart from all the tea appeal, all of the stuff, the ability.
Speaker 3: Wiry made a difference.
Speaker 5: He's the only one with an economic message.
Speaker 1: From really the back room of backroom of back rooms to the things that people were talking about was really important. Let's have some fun with the Greens, though, because apparently a three way race, but nobody's putting their hand up formally to say they are one of the three. Every time the Greens have changed their leadership, it's been behind closed doors, uncontested, a straight line. You can draw all the way from Christine Milne all the way through after Bob Brown. So as a person who's worked a bit in the Senate, seen how they've gone, both of you knowing that of course as a leader, right which one makes their problem worse and which one makes their problem go away? Of Waters, Ferruki and Sarah Hanson Young.
Speaker 3: I don't think Waters will run. I think she would probably be a good option in the same way. I think he's a little bit divisive. But McKim wouldn't be a bad option either. He pulled out today, I know he pulled out. That's Ferruki causes problems like there's. I don't see that brand of activism being popular for a party leader over the next three years.
Speaker 1: I don't know how it plays outside. In news so was in Victoria. To be honest, like, if you're trying to take the message into a place where you want to push a little further in South Australia, Western Australia and Tazzy, I'm not entirely sure that this is a message for all political parties. What works in Sydney Melbourne don't necessarily work over else.
Speaker 3: I would probably go Sarah Hanson Young, given who is on the table.
Speaker 1: A member of her. Wonderful performance of the shadow treasurer thowed I did.
Speaker 5: No one takes the Greens treasury but brings. Seriously, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It depends what their role is. If they want to be a brutal activist party for three more years, go with Ferruki. If they want to cut deals with labor, because labor, the way the Senate vote is going to unfold, the cross bench is now pretty much irrelevant. Labor can pass with the support of the Coalition or the Greens. So the Greens, if you want to play that constructive role, you go with Hans and Young. If you want to be activists, go with Ferouki. And that's really a matter for them.
Speaker 4: I think Larissa Waters is silable and centrist and would be green step on a great right, would be yelling at it, would be the best brand for the Greens to say, Okay, well we too, like the coalition, figure out who we are and what direction we're going to go in.
Speaker 5: We're going to.
Speaker 4: Put this centrist, experienced person who can negotiate with coalition senators and Labors senators because she's got the experience of doing so. Farouki is just a loose cannon of far left, you know, wave the flag just really bad and lib is going to find that really difficult to negotiate a pathway through with her.
Speaker 1: Because also, right that the joy of watching what Albow, what the Albanizi did in this election, right, you saw the weaponizing of and every idea they voted against it, or everything we tried to do. They wouldn't try to help us, right, So I think both of those non labor parties are going to be looking at that as a message. I would suggest that both are going to find what Bill Shorten did for many years, which was just to kick up an absolute stick the day something's announced and wave your fingers in question time, and then at eleven thirty at night the night before everyone goes vote for it so that you can quickly push it through to the next stage. Last word you, Darren.
Speaker 3: I just think the Greens need to determine who they are as a party. They vote nationally, but they were a bit unlucky that distribution in Melbourne and Wills saw them lose bo FuG of them, but.
Speaker 1: They were happy to get Liberal preferences to beat the Labor Party. When the Liberal Party stands on principle, they fall on their eyes.
Speaker 3: No problem with that. But they just need to identify who they are. They are largely people who would normally vote Labor, but they wanted to be a bit more honest. It's like a Democrat style.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they are their own generations.
Speaker 4: They had Morphed Dave totally more whichever.
Speaker 3: If they are the latter, then they probably go through a party.
Speaker 1: Now I am going slightly different. The amount of times were being told to go to break, so we shall do so right now and then back in a moment here with a bold prediction for the weekend. Thanks for watching Sunday Night. One for the hard cause, always one for the hard course you're on, Paul Murray life. Thank you, thank you so much for watching wherever you happen to be. Christy McSweeney and Lovely Lovely Darren Lovely.
Speaker 5: So lovely, I can smell the.
Speaker 3: Course Partisan Lovely were actually past a talking sticker.
Speaker 1: Course Lovely Christom big Sweeny. So a couple of people took in and around elections, which was this one was particularly disrespectful and nasty. Everyone was rude to each other and we all saw things like, you know, the they pulled down my poster. Somebody else pulled down my post, and somebody drew a Hitler stars on my patterner what somebody did this on my post? Like okay, And there was a lot of it, and it did seem a lot more agro. My personal solution to all of this is get rid of the posters. My solution to that I don't like running the gauntlet of the how to vote thing, is not have the how to vote thing. These crazy ideas. We're in the same way that you all know that everyone knows how to download a ticket for a plane on their on their phone. You can do that with a hat to vote, all right, But political parties they still want to pretend that we have to both master TikTok and morse code because there might be one voter somewhere, you know the way that it works. But you went through it as a candidate and as an observer. Was this one nastier or was there just more cameras covering it?
Speaker 4: Well, thank you Paul for pointing that out.
Speaker 5: And there's a lot of people wanting to chat.
Speaker 4: If you want to chat, you get out there and you run for a marginal Satan raising mill, you get in the ring.
Speaker 5: You then come and talk to me.
Speaker 4: Look, I think that oh it's not less agro, it's it's it is hotly contested at polling booths though, like it's never been before. I think the last sort of five to six years to the last two elections, you're swarmed by people.
Speaker 1: But you can't forget to that. For your LAC doctor.
Speaker 4: You can get a lot of votes at the polling booth though you will probably if you engage, if you engage properly, right, I know, I did, you know going up to speak to people and lots of people have no idea, are so disengaged and they think, oh, you.
Speaker 5: Know, that woman knew what she was talking about and answered my question.
Speaker 4: And sure the man with the dog was so nice and.
Speaker 5: It does work.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 5: I know it does, so get rid of it. People hate it. It's effective, all right.
Speaker 1: But Darren about ed husick. So Ed was already booked to go on Channel two this morning when he was a minister. Then of course he's not a minister. But he turned up anyway. I mean they were expecting him, they did pre promoted. He didn't just shove his way onto the set. This is what he had to say about the Deputy Prime minister. And it's pretty obvious that he's trying to say he is part of the problem.
Speaker 12: We've had sort of bare faced ambition and a deputy prime minister wheeled a factional club to reshape the ministry. I think when people look at a deputy Prime minister, they expect to see a statesman, not a factional assassin.
Speaker 1: Now I love Ed, which you mightment I'm too close to it.
Speaker 3: What do you think of it too? I think he has every right to be aggrieved. I think he did a good job as a minister. But that is the way the cookie crumbles. The factions do carve it up on both of the major parties, and he, unfortunately, in a world of you can't get rid of bow and you can't get rid of Burke, you can't get rid of Jason Claire, you can't get rid of Michelle Rowland. Someone had to go. Ed was last one, and Ed was first one out. Now I feel sorry for him because I think he made a great contribution. I'm not sure that going on TV and carrying on helps you in the long term. But what do you do You don't want to really? Do you want to take one for the team in this case? Clearly not?
Speaker 1: Can I call bs on some of the people in the Cambra Press gallery who I know love my free advice, what it's worth, what they pay for it? Times? This has ruined the mood for the Labor Party after seven days. Can I say that I get it? It's not even speed bump right, and believe me, I'm looking for hope. I'm looking for signs. I'm looking down the tunnel. It's as dark as it's like. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, we had a Parliament last time where there was no internal division on either side, and now they'll be on both sides.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bold prediction. Christi McSweeney.
Speaker 4: Oh look, I'm just going to make more of a comment. Both parties have nothing left to do but fight themselves the Labor Party because save once under a whopping majority, and need to appoint people the coalition because they've got nothing else to fight with. So let's see what bold predictions come out of those two excellent Darren.
Speaker 3: Look bold prediction. Let's we'll say, I reckon, Susan Lee, I reckon. I'm going to say for Rookie is going to get it?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I think it's kind of crazy, but I actually might get it, all right. Nationals probably little Proud holds on, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: By the way. Matt Canning in on the show tomorrow night, looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: Who knows what the ministry is? The cave's are going to be.
Speaker 1: All right, fun as we all stand by for who's the Deputy Homelessness Minister. Such a campra game. Thank you guys to appreciate it. We'll see you again next week. Man came more often whenever you came.
Speaker 5: Love being in the man cap, all right, and we.
Speaker 1: Love you being here. We love you too, all right. That's our scheff to night. Thank you very much for watching Royal Reports. Next Matt Canavan exclusive tomorrow