Speaker 1: Welcome to the mentor. I'm Mark Boris Lewis Brown. I'm going to call you Louis Well the mentor mate.
Speaker 2: Thanks having Mark.
Speaker 1: You got your T shirt on there.
Speaker 3: Earl's Assex, I mean, pretty good brands to have alongside Eather. We're going to talk about that in a moment. But I'm actually curious you're by the sound of accident. You're in New Zealand. Have you got islander parents?
Speaker 2: Now? So I grew up a single mum. So my dad, my dad he is he's this Kiwi park how like we call him white Kiwi back in New Zealand. And actually my mom were Moldy. So my grandparents were born in a small island off New Zealand, part of New Zealand still called but like Tasmania called the Chadam Islands. So that's where the roots sort of la run deep, sort of that multi heritage.
Speaker 1: So you murray in your mom's side and your dad's a white yeah y white white park. Yeah, they call it white.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was just like white person and molder white person. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And okay, so brother sisters.
Speaker 2: I've only got one older siblings. I've got one one half brother. He's younger than me. Don't really have much connection with him, but an older sister, she's five years older than me, and she lives she lives here in Sydney. So she's married with her to a Lebanese. My brother in law, he's a Lebanese and so we've got little half caste, moldy Lebanese running out of a Maryland's there and so got a nice bit of culture running through the family at the moment.
Speaker 3: It's a good mix. And you're you played footy, so we'll come to that in the moment. But like I'm always curious about you grew I presume you grew up in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so grew up, grew up and crash it. So born born in nineteen eighty six. It makes me thirty seven. Like I said to you before, Mark Studio, don't don't remind me. I've had a few people remind me lately. But yeah, grew up in christ Church, which is a really predominantly rugby city, not much rugby league going on that.
Speaker 1: End up getting the league.
Speaker 2: So how it sort of came about, Like I mentioned before, family tradition sorry, roots run back to the Chatham Islands and I'm not too sure if you remember, but my cousin he played for the Weston West Suburbs Magpies back in the day. His name is Brendan Tudor, so the baby Face Assassin they used to call him.
Speaker 3: I remember the side, yeah, because my uncle played for them, so like, yeah, there a big West Suburbs were a really popular site.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were my favorite team as a kid. That like Paul Langmack black and white jersey. Yeah, black and white jerseys. I've still got one as a kid with the Magpie on it, but anyone. Yeah, Shane Flanagan was there, Flanno, Britt Stewart who was from christ Which as well. So that that was my team as a kid, because you know when when you're younger and you have someone that's on TV or famous in your family, they become a hero, you see. So so Brendan was to my gateway to rugby league and my introduction to the to the sport and as a four year old, I just absolutely fell in love with it and it became my career after that.
Speaker 1: It was as much.
Speaker 3: IRL or rugby league, at least for juniors in a place like Cross Tip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is there's great. There's like the pathways are starting to get really good at the moment. When I was a kid, they were pretty strong. Towards the back end of my teenage career, like it basically moved. The numbers were running short. So basically on a Saturday, I'd play rugby, then on Monday night I'd play rugby league. And that was kind of the way it kind of went. So I was kind of the outcast at school. Went to school. All my mates were rugby players and I was a rugby league player, and you know, I would always argue about, you know, what sport was tougher. So it was cool to be able to kind of get my rugby mates to come play with me on a Monday night and then I'd played rugby with them on Saturday. And then it got to the age when I was thirteen or fourteen, I started making both rip teams Kenneby Rugby and Kenneby Rugby League. And rugby league was always my my journey and I got offered two scholarships to some prestigious schools and Christ Church, christ College and St Andrew's. But there's one catch. Yeah, I had to give up regul league and you know, for me, coming from a single mom who worked three jobs as a butcher and everything she could become was a butcher. She's a butcher. She's still there today school. Yeah so she's there of my stepdad's actually her boss, and yeah, so she worked really hard. And you know, for me, we both went to those interviews with those prestigious schools, and you know, I walked out. She's like, what do you think? And I was just like, mum, like, you know, they're trying to tell me what I can do at the age of thirteen, like I wanted this is the world's mind, Like I want to be able to create my own path where my dreams always to plan the NRAL back then it was the Winfield Cup. So I chose to go to public school, Papa Nui High and basically, you know, I spent two years there and then got my first kind of launch pad into you know, the system over here, and that was through the Sydney.
Speaker 3: Roosters and then uh, just by the way, and I should I would to make this clear, not that I disliked rugby union, but when someone says you're a bit of an outcast, that probably means you can tackle as a rugby league player, you can tackle low rugby union guys don't really, especially at the young age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, there's much tackle.
Speaker 2: Now there's not much. It's more grab and go for the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And in New Zealand, like you know, like they used to call rugby league state house rugby. So they called state House rugby because over here we over here the housing Commission of the Housing Commissions, but back in New Zealand at state state housing. So that's what the rugby boys used to call it. And you know, I'd make rip teams and stuff like that, but I was the outcast. I was that rugby league boy that shouldn't be part of this rugby team, you know, like that all these boys were going to private schools and I was the only public school boy and I was playing both sports, and parents used to complain, but you know, it used to toughen me's bit.
Speaker 3: The same here, a bit similar here now because the private school boys are still playing rugby and because of my boys are in private school. But one of the issues that we always had was that they played rugby union for the school on Saturday, but they played rugby league on Sunday. Yeah, and the school didn't like it. Yeah, and because they won't know whether maybe they had again get injured or something like that. And that in fact, as I got up up to higher grades as the kids got older at school, there were moments there with the school of Banya, they wouldn't let you play for the best team in the school if you played rugby league.
Speaker 2: It was pretty much like that when I was young as well. Yeah, it is, it is you kind of and as a kid you want to you know, you love sport like I come from an era where there was no technology internet, so you know, like it was you know, played till the lights came on. That's when you went home and you played both codes. That's that's how you made up your time. And that's that was what all my passion was, you know, rugby league, rugby basketball, even though I couldn't play it, and then touch footy that was always my summer sport. Got a bit into cricket, but it was never good at it. All I wanted to do was sixers and stuff like that. And you know I was always but always into rugby league. You know, I grew up My favorite player was Alfie Langer. I'm always always quite short, as a young kid playing half back. And you know, so I predominantly supported the Broncos and the Magpies when the Magpies went winning that the Broncos when my team until the Warriors came in at nine to five.
Speaker 1: Who recruited you into playing footy in.
Speaker 2: Australia, The great Arthur Beazza.
Speaker 1: So you would have come to the Roosters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, came to the Roosters. Very fortunate to come into a great pathway. To be honest, I was shipped myself leaving christ Church. You know, I was a massive Mummies boy as a kid, you know, not having a father figure around, you know. But but the hardest thing for me was to leave leave christ Church because that was comfort for me. And you know, even though I didn't have a dad, my Coddle which is grandfather of Maldi, my mom's dad, he stepped up and he was like my dad as a kid and he was the one that took me to rugby league each morning and feed me up for a coke and and a chocolate bar before we got to the field and I'd play. I'd play it under elevens and under twelves because I had so much energy and then you know, that was the hardest thing about coming to the Roosters was saying goodbye to them. And I used to get really homesick as a kid, and that was kind of the first huge obstacle I sort of came, like overcame as a young kid and a human being, was to leave mum and my grandfather and come over here. And you know, it's a you're a small fish and a big pond over here with basing exactly, mate, you know what I mean. And I actually got put up in Hall Street when they used to have and the Rooster's Home, so to live there with four twenty five year olds. I grew up playing with cso older, so it was one.
Speaker 1: Of my favorite places.
Speaker 3: Got he was like when he tackled, Yeah, it was amazing. Yeah he went off to Canberra, of course, but it was sticky. But yeah, So you must have played with when Ricky Ricky Show was around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I played with when Ricky was playing and then I was in the Jusey Fleig team. So I lived in Hall Street and the Rooster's Home came in. Our Jusy Flig team was super talented, you know, Chaun kenney Dale, Frank Paul Noui Sala Sah obviously was up in the first grade. Another boyfriend christ at Sea Matassa, So you know, we all sort of found ourselves where we were and had a great coach and Jimmy Dimmock, you know, that hybrid five eight Locke who you know bounced from the Bulldogs to the Paramatta. But was was that that hard tonguing boy that you know, was a great player when great wrestling. He used to get his brother into Yeah yeah, yeah, mad wrestler. But just the camaraderie he brought, and you know that the swag that he walked around because you know, he he'd done so much in the game already and he was just great, a great coach to have around. And then obviously our trainer at the time as well was Bennie Gardner, who's actually part of the Panther system now, so full circle kind of stuff. And but really really enjoyed my time at the Roosters. And that was sort of the period when Reserve Grade was was linking up with Newtown, so they were playing out at Hinton Park. So you know, us Josey Flig boys we thought were the big wigs because we were playing before NRAL each week. I ad it Alliance. Back then it was a Sydney football stadium, so it was a great experience and you know, for me it was a dream come true.
Speaker 1: But what did you learn?
Speaker 3: What, like when those in those processes, Looking back though, what do you learn about yourself? Apart from the fact that you worked out you were able to sort of live without your mum. But when I say without your mom, like not in your mum's house, what did you learn? What techniques did you learn in terms of coping mechanisms?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a great question to be honest with you, Mark, Like there was many a night I'd cry to Mum wanting to come home, you know, even though it's I look back now and think it's only a two and a half hour flight. She was like, you've worked too hard to get to this. This is what all you've wanted, And like learning to cope without my mum, like learning to do washing, cooking, well, fortunate enough to have a cook at the at the Rooster's home. And then eventually as time went on, I sort of migrated out of the Rooster's home and learned to sign a lease for a rental property. This is all within the age of seventeen eighteen, and you know, had to grow up very very fast. And I think maturity was a massive one. You know, I was walking into a changing ship, you know at Wentworth Park, that's we used to train full time. Yeah, like you know, like Minchello, if it's given Preithvanessa Rickardson, it's given Wingy, Amos Roberts. You know, there's so many, so many great players there. I just had to grow up like maturely, and maturity was a massive one. Back then it was you know, you didn't speak to anyone unless you were spoken to. It was hit down. That was like Ricky Sting. And just learned a lot about myself how how much you can go through but you can come out the other side. And that I really believe that's led a great foundation for me for you know, my time now as a human because I've gone through so much as a kid, but now you go through much, so much of an adult, and you can see light at the end of the tunnel, and just.
Speaker 1: How do you get that?
Speaker 3: How do you get like, how do you keep that positive? That's important you just said at the end of the tunnel and you know, it's not the train coming towards you. You know, how do you keep that positive view? Like, how did and did you ruggle to get to that position? Did you say, well, look, I'm better off taking the positive view, yep, because the other of you is pretty shitty.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get me anywhere. What was your process?
Speaker 2: So my first so, my first interaction when I first came over here at the Roosters was I got chucked into the Wanda sand Hills. And anyone that knows is Wanda sand Hills. They're pretty tough. Yeah, And back back in christ we didn't do much fitness, but you come over here in the system and it was all fitness.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Ricky was crazy. So they chucked us out at Wanda sand Hills. And to be honest with you, that was the worst day of my life. Like like during that period, I didn't even complete it. I ended up in the bush, lactated up, spewing up Ricky telling me to get up, you're soft. But for me, like, I went home that day very embarrassed. I knew what I had to work on the next morning, I rocked up to Wentworth Park at five am and put myself in the Fat Club because I knew it wasn't fair enough and I.
Speaker 1: Had just explained what the fat club was.
Speaker 2: So the fat club is basically a club where you go each morning when you back back in those days. They still do it now as skin folds, so you have to be under ninety ninety skinfolds. I think it's about seven different points on your body to see where your body fats at if.
Speaker 1: You don't meet those, especially in the preseason.
Speaker 2: Especially in the preseason, it's big on getting your nutrition right, your body right. So I got put in the fat club. Five am rower Ronnie Palmer taking that worst worst we do like nine hundred meters and three minutes on the roll. Anyone that knows the role, that's a bit of a tough gig. So we had to do about five six of them into the bike into that. So that was me growing up within over the night, like I put my hand up, I knew where I was going wrong and sort of put myself in a position where I was vulnerable but willing to take it on. And I just sort of grew from there and before I knew it, you know, I was starting number nine and a star started a jersey flig team and slowly building confidence as I went on. I think when I moved out of the Rooster's house and I kind of really found my independence, really lean on my support network, my mum back home should fly over then. Obviously my sister was living here at the same time, so I really leaned into her a lot as well. And then also my grandfather. He was a massive rock in my life. And you know, back then in New Zealand, the old cell phone, it was hard to get credit. Twenty dollars, got your twenty dollars, but you move up here to get forty nine dollars, it would get you two undred and fifty. So I was fit on the phone to them, so you know, they really helped me get through it. And I look back on it now. There was moments where a mum was, you know, moments away from booking a flight home. But I'm just so glad I stuck it out because I know if I'd gone home, it would have been the biggest recruit of my life.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting to talk about, and there is some significance around that fat squad because because a lot of really good players first grades get put in that squad if they come back from the preseason break or before the preseason, after the break from playing footing, if inevitably a lot of good weight on because they get on the beers and they haven't shit, and then I'm being managed and they don't have any obligation to train and end or play that they're literally taking a break. But a lot of big guys, especially when they're used to having a high metabolic rate as a result of training lots of ours every day, they wait on pretty simple. But there's a bit of a a little bit of a reputation issue being in the fat squad. There was you know, you're in a fat squad. That's the first thing. The second thing is Ronnie Palmer, the Bondai charmer who actually contacted me last week, funnily enough, who I used to train. So I used to train me and Ronnie and Sticky's training. When you park in the gym on the second level, yeah, we should train there together, three of us. And I just quickly say that Ricky would Everyone knows him as a bit of a sledge when he played. Ricky was a sledge in every thing he did, so he would we would turn off a train like two or three times a week. We'd start off on the row and I hate the fucking row. It's one of the worst machines that are, which is why I had one. And Ricky as soon as you would get there, he would start sledging me. He'd say, it is like twenty odd years ago. Twenty years ago, I guess. But he'd say, mate, what's happened to your your biceps?
Speaker 1: League? I only saw him.
Speaker 3: We go and he say, you haven't done any XO, no training, but you look really weak. He starts sledging me, and so the process. So Ronnie then would punish us, punish and Ronnie was like Ronnie's five or six years older than me. But Ronnie is fit as fit as any of the players in those days anyway, especially and he could lift, he could run, he could do everything what you guys could do. Great imagination too, and the nicest bloke in the world, in the world. But at the same time, you had to punish you or push you beyond your limits. And to be in the fat squad, to volunteer to go on the fat squad to get better, that's a big call because, as I said, there's a reputation issue around It looks like you've got no discipline, and so I want to ask you, either we either push ourselves or agree to be pushed by somebody else. Do you think that's a way of building mental resilience apart of physical resilience in footy, but the mental resilience just to equip you for business environments?
Speaker 2: Oh, I definitely, I think it's huge.
Speaker 1: So what does that mean then for you?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: Like, like, if someone else is listening to this, doesn't mean I should allow myself to be subjected to someone who's either a mentor or is not a mentor as just a family friend or in your case it's about footy, but allow them to push my to push me and never do I not challenge it? Do I say no, fuck you, I'm not doing that. How do you how do you become someone who allows themselves to sort of volunteer for this and sit back and cop a sweet and just do it what you've been told?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a great question. Again. I kind of felt myself just migrat into it naturally. I feel like it was kind of installed in me as a young kid from my mum.
Speaker 1: Does that mean, of course you've always been a compliant kid?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: I think, well, you're never naughty.
Speaker 2: I was very driven at a young age. You know, we go back to that conversation when the principals were telling me I had to I had to give up Ragua League, and at the age of thirteen, I went back to Mum and said, I'm not going to let them tell me what I can do in my life. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And does that mean being your rebellious or your complying to your objectives?
Speaker 2: I think it was just more mean being driven and having a goal of what I wanted and there's nothing that was going to stop me from getting there.
Speaker 1: Okay, so stop me there.
Speaker 3: So does that mean then in relation to what you do, because you've obviously carried those characteristics of resilience through into your business life, which were going to talk about.
Speaker 1: In the second half.
Speaker 3: But does that mean though that therefore, what allowed you to become resilient as a result of complying with what the fat Squad training environment was? Is that because you were driven or is that just because you just.
Speaker 1: Complied?
Speaker 2: What? Is it driven? Definitely driven? Driven, like like I wouldn't believe. I still surprised myself today how driven I am, And like I said before, like I really feel like that comes from the environment that's created as a kid. What is that, you know, like watching my mom, Like I didn't really get it when I was a kid, but seeing mom work three jobs to keep the lights on, to pay the rent, you know, like wondering, you know why she's up so early, wondering why I was at training forty minutes before everyone else. Because she was installing those things into me. She hated me being late. I was always there thirty minutes, thirty or forty minutes before, waiting in the car, kicking the ball around, just seeing her like she was a great netble player, like to the point where she could have played for the Silver Ferns, And she sacrificed to give up her dream for me to live my dream. And that was believing in me at such a young age, and she installed this like driving me that you know, I wanted to get out of christ Church. I didn't want to just be another number. I wanted to live my dream and show everyone else that you can tell me that I can't do something, but I'm going to go do it anyway, Like to the point where i'd be according to the principal's office and at high school and said, you know, you need to stop going on about this rugby league dream because it's not going to happen. Like you know, teachers actually telling me as opposed to encouraging me to live my dream. They were telling me to no, you can't do that, you can't like what are you doing? You didn't focus on academics. But I was never an academic kid. I couldn't concentrate in the classroom. I just wanted to play footy. I wanted to eat my lunch and back out and play footy again. And you know, to the point where you know, in one week, I had three meetings with three three teachers from different subjects, all telling me the same thing. You need to give up this rugby league dream because it's not for you. Do you know the percentage of people that play NRL and it just went in one year and out the other.
Speaker 3: So does that mean that as a business person in your lad of life, like someone who might be sort of dreaming to have it and be driven and be like completely completely obsessed without being about being successful in their business dream? Does that mean that no matter what happens, no matter what someone says. It's a it's a fuck you type moment. I'm going to do what I'm going to do. It doesn't matter even.
Speaker 1: If I fail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I like, my biggest mantra at the moment is I'd rather fail at something I want to do then I don't want to do. I can easily go and work on a building site. I could easily go be a cleaner, and I could fail at that, but that's not what I want to do. I'd rather go spend my time and invest it in myself and one of my passions. And if I failed, I found that list, I've given it a shot. That's just how my brain operates, and I'm slowly learning more about that as I go through business and learning behaviors from rugby league at a young age that I can carry from sport over to the business side.
Speaker 1: So let's just and just to close off the loops.
Speaker 3: So in terms of your regul argue career, so we ended up having to say you you didn't end up playing Grave for the Roos, you play for League for the Roosters.
Speaker 1: Where did you go after that? Where did you finish up?
Speaker 2: So I basically spin two years at the Roosters. Basically. I remember one night I'd had a good game and Sticky came out to me in the league's club. I said that we're going to resign you on Tuesday. I was working up at Rebel Rebel Sports East Garden at the time. And then I remember my boss at the time coming said to me on the Monday or Ricky actually has been fired. So for me, I was like, well, what's next? So I rang my manager.
Speaker 1: That was when we tried to employ Wayne Bennett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was it, yeah, yeah, yeah. All I remember was him saying to me, you're gonna You're going to be resigned, And that whole weekend I was puffed out, my chest was out. I was thinking, great, I'm gonna been another time bit of time here. And then it fell through. Chris Anderson came in under there.
Speaker 3: I was the one because I was on the board at the time still, and I was the one who gave and O the job.
Speaker 1: I gave O the job because he was.
Speaker 3: His traian coach. Pri Ye did have a heart attack, but we did. We didn't have another coach because Bennett was going to coach YEP. And that's and recently, you know, we reviewed the book about this on our straight Talk podcast, and yeah, so we gave the job and with Freddie being this systant.
Speaker 2: That's right, yeah, yeah, so and then they decided not to Chris decided he wanted to part ways. I was only a young kid, and so I spent one winter for one year at the Tigers part time. So once again like having to learn to get through over hurdles again, like you know, I'd gone from being told I was going to be resigned that I didn't I wasn't wanted, then going to the West Tigers. At that time, it wasn't even Science so the West Tigers was Balmain Ride Tigers, so I was the next tier under And then having to go through that and still trying to believe in myself that there's a stream of NRL that I want to take in, but like there's the hurdles I have to go through that aren't going my way, Like just have to stick it out. So I went to the Tigers, took up a job at Classic Sports at the same time, so I was get up at five am in the morning, so I'd work from five am to three o'clock in the Arvo drive to likeaut train for four hours and then I would drive home. And I did that for a year and basically that was basically my last shot at it. And I towards the back end of the year, my manager rang me and he said, the Warriors are interested in you and obviously been been in New Zealand. Kid. You know when they came in the comp in ninety five, you know it was it changed everything for rgular League fans in New Zealand. And you know, to me, that was going home and you know, representing my country. It was my favorite team, and I thought to myself, why not, why not give a shot? It was minimal money. I had just done my foot at the time, so I list frank injury so it's like attendant ligament in your foot, which is like about a six month recovery. And so Ivan signed me. He'd only seen me play on a DVD. I was overweight at the time. Basically when went over to New Zealand, walked in the first day, I was one hundred and eight kilos overweight. I spoke to Craig Walker, was the Walks of the trainer at the time. Walked up to Walks in the office, introduced myself and they were still on about a three month period because that just the year before, in two thousand and eight, they'd gone to the Grand Final qualifier against Manly where the first week of the finals they bet that it was the old system where one played eight yeah, and they played the Storm and they bit them down at Olympic Park. So the boys are on an extended pre season and I went there to walk. So I said, I'm overweight, I got this frank injury. I'm in the gym tomorrow. And basically that off season taught myself how to walk against walk laps of the field, ran laps of the field, which was probably the best thing for me, because I was overweight from this injury. If I got put back into the full time squad straight away, even would have kicked me out because I would have been overweight, unfit. But because I was injured, allowing me to rehab back properly, and by the time I got back into full time training, I was fit as a fiddle. I dropped twelve kilos. I was ninety six down to ninety six playing hooker and basically was training at hooker. Weird fear bit of like depth in the hooker role. We'd obviously had Nathan Feene there, Ian Henderson was there and Hindo was there, and yeah, I was playing hooker and then we played it. We played a trial against the Cowboys and I remember I played a twenty minute quarter at hooker and then I even come up to me at halftime and he said, he said, mate, have you have played back row? Said, I never played in my life. And he said, you know Jonathan Thurston who was he was on the right hand side that game we're playing the Cowboys. He said, just try and rip his inside shoulder of I want you to run that line and as that's the main back rolls line to get inside your your your three man's inside shoulder. And fortunately that day Grant Ravelli, who was also a Rooster's junior, he was at the Warriors at the time, he put me through two holes and I scored a double at the back row. And that's when I became a back roll, a hybrid back roll. I was a little a little bit of a different shape to most back rolls, more in that Anthony watt Our mold, where I was a like lower center of gravity and had good leg drive. And that's how I became a back roller and I started my career of the.
Speaker 1: Warriors, and where did you finished career?
Speaker 2: So I finished my I ended up so played just under one hundred games for the Warriors. Then I followed Ivan over to Pinrith in twenty and thirteen. I spent four years there and then spent my last three years at Manly. Retired in two thousand and five years ago, so twenty and eighteen.
Speaker 3: So that regul league career was a I mean, apart from having played the sport you really loved and all that sort of childhood sort of dream blah blah blah. Get all that part. That's it's pretty good. But really what happens from here is it equipped you to do something. And I am going to go to the break, and when I come back from the break, I want to talk it. I want you to talk to me about the earl's itch, the itch to set up a brand.
Speaker 1: I need to know about that.
Speaker 3: And I want to know what you learn from your years as rugby leagues. Sitting here on your own in Australia. What did you learn from those years that you've put into play in relation to your brand, your business brand?
Speaker 1: And then we're going to talk about some of the collaborations.
Speaker 3: You're doing, because I can see the assets thing right there, and that's driving me crazy.
Speaker 1: I've got to know about that. So let's go. The break comes straight back.
Speaker 3: We've just been taught with Louis about his footy life and some you might be thinking, well, you know what you is that really a mentor subject or is it more a straight talk subject. Well, I think it's really important because we're talking about mindset. For me, in mindset is a really important component of being successful as an entrepreneur, as a business owner, particularly you know when we get setbacks, and you get a lot of setbacks in footy, most people just think, oh wow, you know, they can pay you a load of money and doing.
Speaker 1: What they love.
Speaker 3: That's assuming that they are Jonathan Thurston or something like that, who's like extraordinarily gift it and gets the right pathway, and it doesn't always happen. And you know, ninety nine out of one hundred players don't experience that, and it's one in one hundred, maybe even less. And Louis probably one of those ones who he had a good career, but he wasn't someone who just automatically jumped into first grade at the age of nineteen. And you know what didn't become wasn't Mitchell Pierce played his whole career playing first grade type of thing. And you have to build a certain mindset and a certain resilience to get through that shit. And what I want to talk to Lewis about now is Louis like, tell me what was that, because you know he had his urge or as a kid to play rugby league. When des urge to create a brand start to sort of get into your bones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's man, that's probably that's probably the tuning put in my life, that question. It was. I remember, so I had spent nearly ten years playing inn RL, so I played one hundred and ninety nine games, didn't quite get the two hundred, played fifteen tests for for the Kiwis and twenty and sixteen I was over in the UK playing in the Four Nations David Kidwell's coach at the time, and we're about to play. We just played, We just plaid the Kangaroos at Anfield, Liverpool's home ground in the Four Nations final. Got absolutely pumped. I think it was like thirty six four that had a great team, like you know, Thurston, cam Smith, Kronk Gregg Yinglis Morris brothers, you know, great back rowers, you know. It was it was a fear squad that they had had put against us and put a fear scoring us. And I remember sitting at the bar going back to the hotel, sitting at the bar with Sean Johnson and his partner and a phone. A phone call come through from my sister and her been a regul league. Found thought she wanted to speak about the game, and I left it, didn't answer it because I wasn't really in the mood to speak about rugby league at the time, and it was the end of the year and it's enjoying having a sparkling water and a red wine at the bar. And then she ran me back straight away and I knew something was up. Answered the call and I said, hey, what's hey Mendes, so that's my sister's name's what's happened? She's like his dad And I was like, well, what's happened? And she's like, oh, he's taken his own life, his dad, he's committed suicide.
Speaker 1: And your biological father, yeah, my.
Speaker 2: Biological father who I hadn't spoken til spoken to since I was twenty one, I was now thirty at the time, sat there and just broke down in tears, like I didn't even know what it was.
Speaker 1: It was just like a shock for start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know my dad, My dad was a good guy, but it was just a useless father. And you know, I kind of carried this chip on my shoulder as a young kid, like like you kind of mumba lamas, but you kind of fucked my childhood. Now, you know, you've thrown the spanner in the works, and you're fucking fuck with me in my adulthood as well, you know what I mean. So I sat there and I had all this these these thoughts going through my head, and you know, I had I had to break the news to someone else, and I told Sean and I had to go up to my room, and then before I knew it, the whole squad was in my room. David Kibwell, included the managers, everyone, and everyone was just there kind of helping me out, and and I hopped on that we were the logistics out so I could get back to christ Itch for the funeral. And so I got back to Krash Church through this whole next two days of traveling from London to christ Church so much thoughts were going through my head. I was about to go back home to a family that's part of me that I haven't seen for nearly twenty odd years, and that was a bit of a mine, a mine mind fuck within itself. And so anyway, I get myself, me and my sister at our self prepared for the funeral and walking to the funeral and here's my half brother who's basically four or five years younger than me, looks like my twin, and I haven't seen him since I'm seven. So that's my first shock. See obviously, see my dad, and you know, see my aunties who I haven't seen since I was a young kid. And I'm basically four with a room full of strangers. But there's this part, there's there's this still part of me that's in this room. And throughout the day, as I went from the funeral to my dad's grave site, I actually found out my dad, my grandfather, and my great grandfather had all taken their own lives.
Speaker 1: Wow, and on your dad's side.
Speaker 2: On my dad's side. Yeah, And the only thing that we share in common is the same middle name, and that's Earl. And as a young kid, I used to hate that middle name.
Speaker 3: All of you had the same middle name, great grandfather, grandfather, dad, and you.
Speaker 2: And me and I found that out dream that day and as a kid the middle name. I don't know whether it was just to do with the association with my dad because I thought he was useless as a kid. Like when I was a kid, I hated the middle name. I felt like it gave me bad energy. And whenever someone would ask me, what's your middle name, I would say I don't have one. I'd always go like, I don't have one. And basically that was the turning point of my life. I continue to play rugby league for the next two years, but I felt like my job when I felt like my dream was starting to turn into a job. And I believe when your dream starts to turn into a job, it's time to walk away. That's that's the sport, that's life. That's the universe tapping on your shoulder saying hey, like you need to go find something else and.
Speaker 1: Tap out, tap out.
Speaker 2: And you know, when I was a kid, when I'd hang out with my dad, he was real stylish kind of dude, had a great, great the way he dressed did great dress sense. He you know, wore Levi as with the Chuck Taylor's had the the jacket, the Harley Davison, whereas all my mate's friends they would wear the track the footy tracksuits and stuff like that. So I used to be quite embarrassed by the way my dad dressed, but he was quite hip. So I guess that's where it sort of came into.
Speaker 1: The other days, the dreams with the belt exactly too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly, tucked off the polar Yeah, you know, I look exactly to exactly. And so I'd sort of come to this point in my life where I was about to leave Manly. I've been offered a three year deal to go to Purpayong to play the cat Lands over in the south of France. I was meant to leave on the Friday. On the Wednesday, I decided I'd retire. I just felt like I couldn't take over this because I had two years to kind of digest what had gone on, and my form had kind of fallen off. The back to the Woods the back end of the year my back into the crew, so I knew it was just time to let go what year we're doing Man twenty seventeen eighteen. Yeah, so towards the back end of then, and I thought to myself, like, listen, there's a great tune to go to France and just kind of finish off your career as a working holidays.
Speaker 1: I think SKD was there, he was.
Speaker 2: A few of the boys there. Percy would have been there filling up. So I think there's a few kind of boys there. But deep down inside me, there was just something that was holding me back, and I felt like taking that with me, the suicide over there to a non speaking English country, trying to get therapy. And then also outside of regular league, my hobby was fashion and love sneakers, love clothing, and I sawt of I saw a niche kind of movement in the market where you know, I've I've lived one dream and once you've lived your dream and you've broken through that like dream atmosphere, and you kind of I don't know what it is, but you feel like you can do anything. If you really want to do something, you'll go and do it. And like I said before, like I'd rather foul out something I want to do than I don't want to do. So retired on the Wednesday. On the Monday, I started up Earls at the same time parallel with getting a job at SkyTV. So sky TV is over here at Fox Sports in New Zealand at Sky Sports, so I was gone back every Wednesday and I was doing all the Warriors home games. I was commentary and reporting and started up Earl's.
Speaker 1: But what was it was going to be?
Speaker 3: Like, Like, I get the brand, I understand with the name camera, but what was your Like what excus were we going to be running with?
Speaker 1: What do you well?
Speaker 2: I basically, I basically the reason I came to clothing is because that was my passion. The name. I remember. I was up on College Street in Sydney, just by Hyde Park and I pulled over the side of the road and I was like, I'm going to start this thing called Earl's Collection because basically I didn't have a relationship with my dad, you know, through my adulthood, and I always thought i'd have a I would have an adult conversation with him and let bygones be by gones, build a bridge and we can both move on and just live life, you know what I mean, and find out about his childhood. But for obvious reasons that didn't get to happen. So I thought I would honor him and take this negative, this real negative cloud of this name and try and turn it into something positive. So I had named it Earl's Collection. And I was sick of buying other people's clothing. It's beending lots of money on high end clothing. When I felt the quality and basically felt like I could create that myself. So reached out to a mate who put me in touch with a production company in China, and you know, within six months, I'd launched a fourteen piece collection and I was on my journey to start with Earl's collection.
Speaker 3: Just take me through a good forward in piece collection. So what are we talking about?
Speaker 1: Tea's strides?
Speaker 2: So we started with Tea's teas these basketball shorts which became a craze.
Speaker 1: And can you describe those?
Speaker 2: So basketball short?
Speaker 1: I know what a basket, but you're.
Speaker 2: So basically we had these they called the Earl Short basically just a nice premium bit of polyestamesh with Earl's kind of applicate across the front and would change the colors out. And it got to the point mark where you know, like we're doing like twelve hundred peers in three minutes. I put them up online and they just disappear.
Speaker 1: And how did everyone know about it?
Speaker 2: Well, just like I guess, the first fan, my first customer base and the brand of winness I got was that Rugby League fan. So basically, at the time, the people that followed me through Rugby League were going to come on.
Speaker 1: This journey with me with where they're following you.
Speaker 2: Although I followed me from New Zealand that we don't know what platform Facebook, Instagram, Facebook, you know, Twitter, stuff like that, and then we had no marketing or anything. I knew nothing. I absolutely knew nothing. I knew nothing about clothing. All I knew was I had a good I felt like I had a good eye, and I was going to teach myself how to use Photoshop illustrator and learned to design a fourteen piece collection and put it together shoot it. I shot my first shoot up in China Gwon Joe just randomly happened. I was going up there check check the factories, and then yeah, I just thought, let's just give this a go.
Speaker 1: So shorts, T shirts, what else?
Speaker 2: Switch shirts, hoodies, socks, hats, So start off with that so just a small range bit of forty people.
Speaker 4: Nearly accessories as well, exactly, and I usually just stop me, but did you have you must have had a fairly big a reasonable audience from me forty days.
Speaker 2: So yeah, not too bad. I wouldn't say the biggest, the biggest following, but a lot of people knew, like outside of Rguy League, they're eighty minutes. I loved clothing. I love sneakers, and I'd always like take photos of fits and that that I put up on my Instagram. And you know, I'm from the era of like living my adulthood with no social media. Then also this thing coming through with social media and you're getting used to it, you know. I'd go to like Warriors functions and I'll wear Cardigan and Ivan Claire. He would always come up to me with a smile on his face, saying, fuck, what's what are you wearing there? Mate? That's fucking terrible? Do you know what I mean? But I always true to who I was, and that's what he loved about me the most. And we'd go on footy trips and all the boys would hassle me about wearing you know, like Cardigan's tight jeans, and all, you know, all the craze, and then they'd get me one on one they'd be like, hey, Louis, can you take me shopping? My missus ask if I could dress a little bit like you're a little bit more. So I'll start to see the boys sort of accept me for who I was. And you know, I just thought to myself, it's just still a fourteen piece collection. See how it goes? Dropped it and it sold out pretty much within a month.
Speaker 1: So where do you take it from there?
Speaker 3: So you know, like Earl's collection is obviously successful first tub, but what is it doing now?
Speaker 2: Well, now now we're five years in, we're sixteen collections deep. We've done a few collabs now which have been crazy. For example, start off with new era hats, so as a kid, I wore a new era hat. And then next it went to Cassio G Shock. So as a kid, my grandfather, all my uncles were g Shocks, So for me, I wasn't raised around Rolex or anything. G shock to me exactly, and that's still pretty cool now. So I started off doing the two co labs with them, and can ijust you approach them with they approach you now so all of my collabs, I've I'm the type of person at the moment where I feel like I have a little bit of imposter syndrome. So I'm in this, I'm in this like career that I'm so new at but I feel like I'm good at. But I also feel like I kind of don't belong at the moment. So I never reached out to anyone. I'm quite shy kind of person, so everyone sort of reached out to us just you know, this new brand and obviously the profile of Regula League and stuff like that, and that helped build as well while I was working on Sky Sports. And then probably the biggest co lab that's at at the moment that came across our desk on my desk came up two years ago, sorry a year and a half ago, and that was with Essex.
Speaker 1: And what is that That's a sure obviously, but what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: So basically i'll give you a little story about it. So mentioned before, my grandfather m your father's side of the mother side, my mom's side. Yeah, so look after Yeah, so he's basically my dad, He's my hero. He was everything. So he'd never been on a plane, before. Sorry. The only plane he had caught was when he was eighteen. He'd gone from the chatter Mylins to christ Church. His parents said, go live in the mainland, make money. Do we have to raise your family. Only plane he had ever been on two thousand and nine, he hopped on another plane to come and watch him play for the Warriors. The first time we've been on a plane. And I think it was nearly forty years and Mum rings me and she said, oh, it's Pop. He's had a foot he's had a fall at the airport. And I was like, oh, okay, sweet, no worry. So he gets to my house. He's limping around. He's got cuts all through his back and he said, I was something wrong with my bloody calf. So I said to my hop on the couch, I feel it. He's torn as achilles. He's torn as achilles. Anyway, I've gone on the game. I look. I didn't think they were going to make it. I've looked up here he's rolling on this on this in this wheelchair. And ever since that day, for the next fifteen years, every Birthday, every Christmas, every Father's Day, I brought him a Peer of Essex because Asex have an eight millimeter hell raised in the back, more cushion for his calfs than that a year and a half ago. And they've got good structure too, great, great structure, best running shoe and you know, great for him. They look good as well. Oh they look great, mate.
Speaker 1: These are the best for me for walking?
Speaker 2: Are they're the Pegasus?
Speaker 1: No, they're the Pegasus. But for running yep ac great.
Speaker 2: Counters are great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I sometimes I were the counters. Yeah, I'm sorry about that audience.
Speaker 2: You're good, mate, You're good. And a year and a half ago, unfortunately I lost my grandfather. He died at the age of ninety two, and I went home for the for his funeral, and the day after he passed away, I got an email from Essex Wow, Essex Australia saying they had no idea about anything like what was going on in my life, and they said to me, can you can you come to our Marsden Park office for a meeting? And I was like, listen, I'm my way at the moment for my grandfather's funeral, but I can come when I get out and get back to Australia. So I thought that that process was just going to be. They're going to give me stuff to wear. My photo shoots went out there for sponsorship for something years, like a sponsorship. So I'd been an Essex athlete before while I was playing footy. So I went out there and they basically said, sat me down. They said we want to we want to do a co lab with you on your shoe. And I got got goosebumps, like I was just like, this is meant to be. And you know, for the next year and a half we really worked on a shoe. I designed it in a week with my colleague Lachlin and within a week we designed the shoe about my MOLDI heritage back in christ Church and year. At the moment we just released it and it's gone crazy, biggest, biggest collab I've ever done. We're the only second Australian brand to ever do a co lab behind with Assex behind Paw and yeah we put it, we raffled it and within five hours it's sold out.
Speaker 3: Wow, five hours five hours, So Assids will probably do another one they roll it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've already asked me to come on for part two and they've also they've also helped me I'm going to help them out with their football side of things, footy boots side, so you know, for the rest of the year we're working closely with them with you know, the design and working on co lab too, and then also you know the footy book footy boot design. So very very full circle thing for me with the ASEX.
Speaker 1: You've gone from being a footy player.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to wrap here, but I just want to You've gone from being a footy player, which is really physical and I mean there's a lot of mental stuff involved, but there's a lot of physicality involved in like and skills, skills on the field, but they're really fairly binary. Like you either you take with miss a tackle or you make a break or you don't make a break. It's sort of one or the other. To becoming a creative yeah, so you're basically creative now creative business, but you're creative crass, you're creating shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then I'm about to on Monday, Monday week, I'm going back to New Zealand actually about to be announced as the Warriors creative director.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, so that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So once again a full circle thing. Get to go back home work with them, take over order the design for the jerseys off field stuff, training gear, and then also help out Jerry Seius who with wellness and teaching the boys about transition, you know, teacher. I think that's the coolest part about that job has been able to go back and showing the young generation that you can come back to the sport other than coaching and training, you can come back in a creative way. So to be able to take over the creative direction of the Warriors as an absolute dream come true. So a lot of these colebs that I'm doing, and you know, freelance stuff all being full circle stuff, and it's sort of just the energies that came to me. And when the Warriors, when they approached me, it was just a no brain because you know, I'm still transitioning from regular league to normal life and I go to therapy once a week and I'm learning how to detach myself from the sport in a good way, but then also transitioning to what is my purpose now as a creative and sort of diving into my brain of how I become more creative and you know, how do I channel that creativity that I've held them for nearly thirty three years. I didn't think I was a creative person. But sorry, I knew I was a creative person, but I didn't know how to channel it. I used to channel it and the way used to dress, but now a channel it and the way I make clothes and also push the finishing touches on, you know, something like the Warriors the jerseys in the next two years.
Speaker 3: Well, Lewis Man, it is actually a real pleasure to hear your story.
Speaker 1: But probably what I'm getting.
Speaker 3: From all is something I'll just if I could just articulate it for a moment. What's really important. It's not only you sort of you know, hunkering down on your creative ability, and you have an ability to create things and design things that make things look good or deliver things that look good. But probably where the next stage of your life is going to be is actually paying forward the luck that you've had, and whether it's luck or or a combination of you know, destiny or effort as well. But like you helping out and or even coming on this show today to talk to me about and to talk to an audience more importantly about forty people just don't have to be footy people. Yeah, but you know that you can identify yourself as a footballer when you're playing football, perhaps, but there's a process of de identifying yourself. It's nearly like a brain issue, is nearly like a change in the way your neurology works. I've got to transition myself out as identifying myself as a footballer. Now I'm identifying saying myself as a creative. But at some stage probably going to start to identifying yourself as someone's got to pay forward what you've learned, and that's being at the Warriors.
Speaker 1: That's one of the things you're going to be able to do.
Speaker 3: And some people I said, oh, he's lucky, was some sort of divine into venture by his grandparents, his grandfather, et cetera. No, No, I don't think so. I think it's just been open to things happening. Just be open to shit and be prepared to do it for sure.
Speaker 2: And like you know, the last year, I've been on a massive journey mark like lost my grandfather. One of my one of my good friends who worked at Earl's, she got murdered. Her and her dad got murdered in Auckland and then went through a massive relationship breakup and I really really had rock bottom around January this year and sorry two thousand and three, and just thought to myself, like, you know, you can either the single swim and my whole life. I've swam, I've never sunk, and that's the drive I just have in me. And I picked myself up up of the ground and realized, is that the root of the core that I was going through was that reidentify like reidentifying Hawaii, and what my purpose is.
Speaker 1: It's your issue my exactly. It's not the factor lost somebody. It's your issue.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and deal with it exactly. And then I started going to therapy once a week, turn that to twice a week, and I'm learning to change my behaviors from rugby league. The vocabulary that you're spoken to in rugby league, you know, you know as as a thirty year old, you know you're getting told you're old and you're a veteran and you're you're about to retire. Those words like they stick with you, you know, because within five years you're going to transition meetings. You're being told this is what football looks like, our life looks after football, and like you said before, like when when you retire as a sports person in general, it's about having that purpose. And I feel like a lot of us on this planet, as at X athletes, feel like we're just being solely put on this earth to play sport. But you know, some of us that have kids. I don't have any kids, but the boys that have kids have that purpose of being a dad. You know, My purpose now in life is about creating a life that I'm happy about living. And you know, like you said, teaching others that you can have a happy life and you can make your career bigger after footy than it was and footy and I feel like I'm doing that at the moment.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's for me anyway is really important. It's funny. I was, I was. I woke up every let morning.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about these sort of things about just generally about the transitions you have in life. Look at my age expects people on me to be retired, and I think it's bullshit, Like I've got so much more energy and so much more to give. And my mind's about like minds of particular project like and you know, some people, my thing is a transaction, but I'm not really looking to do a transaction.
Speaker 1: I'm actually looking to help people and to live a.
Speaker 3: Better life, a healthier life, a longer life, A longer, healthier life is probably my big passion, and that's something I feel as I should do. I should do it for myself, but should everybody else. And I'm lucky enough to be able to do it. You're doing what you're doing at the Warriors at the moment, and for me, I don't want to.
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Earmark myself as being a finance guy in my whole life, which it wasn't what it was. You don't want to be a footed person all your life. Open the possibilities and just be prepared to go on the adventure and explore them and fuck up, makes misstakes, lean on people for help, Come and tell your story. See a therapist. Nothing wrong with that. Man as SATA therapist is not a needty thing of mental health thing. It's actually like it's like a process of learning.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite time of the week learning about yourself and you're getting better. Thursday, at four o'clock every week, I go into Willara and close the door for an hour and a half of my therapist and speak what I need to speak about, and I'll tell you what. I come out so much lighter, like I don't carry the burden that I carry that week. You know, I'm still learning about business, you know, like I I'm only five years into this journey of earls and you know I have this saying that I don't have a ceiling, like you know, the only thing holding me back from doing things is me. You know how far I want to go with this, you know, this asset that I've got on now, like I've dreamt about, Like there's a store called Kith and the US that's I've always wanted to be stocked in and I've picked up the shoe they're about to stock it in there, and you know, just just small things like that, that that once again people telling me I can't do something and then I go and do it, like just about proving yourself right and you know, being selfish along the way. And you got to be exactly because for a long long time, like my whole life, I put rugby league first. You know, I missed best mates's weddings to be the best man that I miss my best mates, like kids being born and now It's about giving back to myself and making myself happy and being flexible to take myself out of a controlled environment where forty eight weeks of the year are basically bunk it down for me. Already, I've got four weeks that I can be flexible. Now I have fifty two weeks that I'm flexible, and I like to I like to be flexed with my work. I like to be flexed with my employees. I like to also encourage my employees to follow their hobbies too. You know the Lachlan who works for me, how we actually met. His passion is to change actually rugby league jerseys. So two and a half years ago I saw him on Instagram, this young kid. He's a Knights fan. He changes rugby league jerseys for a hobby, and that's how we connected. I saw him on Instagram. I gave him a brief, he sent it back to me, and then he come and spend a week with me. He's been with me since and now both of us have this hobby. Of his hobby is rugby league and rugby league uniforms. My old hobby was rugby league and now we're joining on this journey together to go do this warriors creative direction and you know, live it together. And I can't think of a more kind of special way to kind of do that with someone and spread our wings and see how far we can really take ourselves. And you know, as I played in an era of rugby league when you weren't encouraged to do his stuff outside of rugby league, was fully focused and I understand that was the era and at that time that's all you knew. So to be able to go and you know now and explore these different avenues of creativity, There's so many ways to be creative. I'm just really loving it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Lewis Earl Brown, congratulations made on Earl's collective and well done and keep those coilabs going and make us rogby league community proud of you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me Mark. I really enjoyed it