Speaker 1: A pod Shape production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to The Chills, the Spooky Story podcast. That's hard to believe unless, of course, it happened to you. Today's story comes from Rachel from Brisbane, who loves the Chills.
Speaker 3: I listened to them all. I binged them so you're at work and put them on and binged off a lot.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite one so far?
Speaker 3: I love the one from Gimp on the Motorbike.
Speaker 2: That was just.
Speaker 1: Awesome, freaked me out, freak.
Speaker 3: I think it's because we live in Australia. I love hearing Australian ghost stories or you know, things that happen around Australia.
Speaker 2: Thanks for supporting The Chills, Rach, and thanks for emailing us your story at the Chills at podshape dot com. It's easy to do and I don't buy it.
Speaker 3: Sort of just went, oh, I've got a story and i'd love to tell it. So getting getting it into words sometimes because sometimes people look, really, that didn't happen. Oh you're both asleep. You're just seeing things and I go, nah, I know what I saw.
Speaker 2: You know, Okay, So let's get into the story. It's not just Rachel's story, it's a friend Stacy's story as well.
Speaker 3: Stacey's my best friend. We grew up together and I used to spend a lot of time at her house.
Speaker 1: Where'd you live back in the day?
Speaker 3: Campbelltown, so New South Wales and she lived in Claymore, So we're like she lived in housing Commission and yeah, it was all a bit of a vibe up there.
Speaker 1: So where is the story going to take us back to Claymore?
Speaker 3: In about let's say nineteen eighty five, I would have been about fourteen, she was probably sixteen, and I used to stay at her house a lot. Normally we'd sleep in the same room. This night, however, it was summer. Summer in Sydney's were always hot, so the whole house was just left open, you know, the back screen door was left open. That's when you could do things like that. And yeah, so what i'd done, like we're sort of probably hung out all day, watch movies at night, who knows. I'd gone to sleep on the lounge and Stacy must have just gone a blanket over me and I'd gone to sleep. I woke up to one of her cats like clawing me in her cat's claw like, and I looked at it if this cat looked at me and it was freaked out. It was sort of clawing and freaked out. And I went, oh, that's a bit weird and for summer. And I looked down the hallway and the back door slammed, and I went, it's like it was three o'clock in the morning, and I saw two figures outside walking down the pathway. But they didn't look right. They looked really shabby, like they didn't look like they belonged to this world or you know, modern society. They just looked quite shabby.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by that? They looked like olden day figures.
Speaker 3: Yes, the olden day figures. They sort of they were clothed. There was I remember there was a lady and a man and they they and they just sort of wandered off, and yeah, it was It didn't freak me out. I just went back to sleep, the cats settled down, we were all good.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is about cats and spooky stories. I mean, you don't really hear stories about dogs and ghosts, or guinea pigs and ghosts. What is it about cats and the walking dead? Anyway, Let's get back to nineteen eighty five with Rachel at her mate Stacy's house, and the next morning when they wake up, we.
Speaker 3: Were making breakfast and I said, I say, I said, you're going to think I'm nuts. And she turned around and looked at me and she went, yeah. She said, what's up? And I went, think I saw a ghost in your house last night? And she went no, she said, don't think you're not. She said, I think I saw the same one, and I went, OK, you do. So then we started to compare notes and she had woken up in the middle of the night and her blanket had fallen off the bed. She wasn't worried about it because it was hot, so you just didn't worry about it. She woke up with her blanket covering her, but just covering like her body, not her feet or have been. The blanket had been put on sideways, and there was a guy in her doorway, just leaning against the doorway looking at us. And again she sort of said he didn't look to be modern day and she sort of looked at him, he looked at her. He turned around and walked out of the house. So I think what happened was I caught them walking out of the house, and yeah, and that is our story.
Speaker 1: Had Stacy ever seen them.
Speaker 3: Before, No, no, and I don't think that she ever saw them again. It was like a one night wander into the house and wander out.
Speaker 1: Maybe they were lost.
Speaker 3: Maybe they were Campbelltown itself is very like it was one of the first major city as they moved out through Liverpool and Campbelltown Camden, so you know, lots of colonial buildings and stuff. So it was really interesting.
Speaker 1: Have you since then, rach had any other encounters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have. I have indeed, And again it's not that they scare me, because they don't. I live in Brisbane now, so I moved up to Brisbane about fifteen years ago with husband, kids and all that. My dad came up to live with us when he was dying of pancreatic cancer and he passed away. And about six months after he passed away, my marriage broke down, and you know that things got that happen. But I would be in the hallway and I could smell rum and cigarettes, like at night, at night i'd put my kids to bed, I'd walk into the hallway and go, oh, it's luck. I would smell Dad hanging in the hallway, just hanging around not and again it didn't It didn't worry me. It was sort of almost a comfort, you know. I was a single mother in a big house and didn't really worry me too much. Actually, I'll go back a little bit my fortieth birthday. He passed away in November. My fortieth birthday was in the January. My mom lived in Sydney. She'd driven up and then my mom came up to live with us about three or four months later. And I've never smelt that smell ever again. And she went to leave and she couldn't find a carca and to this day, her car keys have never been found. And I think that he hid the car keys because he knew that he didn't want her to leave. He knew that I'd need her. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That gave me the chills that way.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's really funny because I often walk down the hallway at night and go, hey, Dad, you can come out again. No, he doesn't. It's like he was just there for a little time, just to go look, I'm here, I'm looking after you. I've never ever told my kids about Dad being like me, being able to smell Dad, basically because my son used to sleep like Once my dad passed away, my son went moved into his room and I think that I would completely freak him out, so I've never ever told my kids.
Speaker 1: Apart from now on a podcast.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right exactly.
Speaker 2: If you've got a story that you think could give us the chills, don't forget to send it in the chills at podshape dot com. See you next time for another spooky story.