Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, March twenty four, twenty twenty six. Carl Sanderlan's claims he was encouraged to display his dominant and abrasive personality on air by his former employer ARN and he wants a court to force them to pay his full one hundred million dollar contract. Pauline Hanson says sweeping changes to Australia's climate policy are on the cards as her One Nation Party races towards fifty thousand members. Those stories alive right now at the Australian dot com dot au. What's Donald Trump's end game in Iran? What does victory in this war look like for the US? And why did Donald Trump think he could go it alone and then change his mind? Our Washington co respondent Joe Kelly is here in just a moment. This was Donald Trump on the weekend, posting on his favorite platform, truth social We used an AI voice to read his post.
Speaker 2: If Iran doesn't fully open without threat the Strait of Hormuz within forty eight hours from this exact point in time, the United States of America will hit and obliterate their various power plants, starting with the biggest one first.
Speaker 1: By late Monday Australian time, Trump had changed his tune entirely, saying he would delay any assault on Iranian power infrastructure by at least five days, and that America was in positive talks with the Iranian regime on the total cessation of hostilities. Joe Kelly is the Australian's Washington DC correspondent.
Speaker 3: He seems to be swing from one extreme to the other. There are all these contradictions in his position. You know, Iran is militarily decimated, they're beaten. Yet he's called on allies and partners of the United States to try and help clear out the Strait of muz and not just the United States allies and partners, he extended that offer to China as well. So I think on Friday he posted that the United States was very close to achieving its military objectives, and then, of course the next day we got the Truth Social Update where he was providing a forty eight hour deadline, which is a massive escalation. So we are seeing these massive shifts from the President, and in my view that points to again a sense of spontaneity, perhaps not a clearly thought out strategy. Now, supporters of the United States president will say this is all part of Donald Trump's game, where he likes to maintain a sense of unpredictability. But I think there's also a flip side to that, and the flip side is it looks like chaos and a president who doesn't really have a plan. I mean, the price of gasoline at the pump has gone up about a dollar. It's hovering about four dollars now, so that's a massive increase in prices in just less than a month. So I think Donald Trump is facing economic and political crisis point here, and it's going to be fascinating to see what he actually does.
Speaker 1: Claire, I think one of the things we can be sure that he doesn't want is a twenty year Afghan style mission to change a country. He doesn't want to own Iran for the rest of his life. But he does have an investment, a personal investment in the Middle East working out. You know, he's on the Board of Peace, his family is deeply involved. He wants to turn Gaza into the new mar Lago. Apparently, so Donald Trump personally and as president needs to win here bombing the power stations in Iran, that would send around back to the pre industrial era and make it kind of impossible for there to be a functioning state there. How do you think he steps his way through all that? I mean, does that mean do you think that bombing the power stations is actually an empty threat?
Speaker 3: Donald Trump's playbook usually, and this is what makes him so fascinating. I think as a politician is to engineer a sense of crisis, or to embrace a sense of crisis, to create opportunities for himself, to create leverage. But this is in the middle of a very serious conflict in the Middle East. So it may be an attempt to engage with the regime to try and negotiate, And it may be an attempt by the president, like he has so many times, to try and find creative solutions by embracing this sense of confrontation and crisis. But I'm just wondering this time around, Claire, whether the Iranians are going to go for that. More broadly, I think, actually this has been one of the strongest until now, I should say, one of the strongest points of Donald Trump's second term and first term in terms of his foreign policy. He's cured the Abraham Accords, which was so critical in trying to normalize relations between Israel and the Arab world. And we also had the ceasefire that he oversaw between Israel and Humas in his second term. So his record on the Middle East is strong, and I think he knows that his historical legacy is now on the line with this conflict with Iran, and the stakes for him are huge. This will certainly go on to define his legacy and at least his second term.
Speaker 1: For sure coming up. So is this even technically a war? The United States has not actually declared war here, and of course that's a power that rests with Congress. Donald Trump, as president is commander in chief of the United States Military, so he can really do whatever he wants, but Congress does hold the purse strings. You're reporting, Joe that Pete Hexth is talking about or there are reports that he is going to request two hundred billion dollars from Congress to fund this war, which is no doubt very expensive. What does that mean? Are we're inching towards an actual formal declaration of war here or Congress getting involved in some way?
Speaker 3: I think the problem with this request is that there's no political consensus around this war. In Washington. This is a highly partisan conflict where the Republicans and the Democrats are divided on either side of this question. So in terms of this being able to get through to be approved by the Congress, I don't like the president's chances of that at the moment. And Chuck Schumer, when he was asked about this, said that the request for two hundred billion dollars was preposterous. Now, to put it in context, that's more money than the United States has provided in assistance to Ukraine, which is a conflict that's been going on for four years. So it's a lot of money. And I think it also shows that the United States is concerned about their munition stockpile. This was one of the issues that was put on the agenda that people had expressed concern about before this conflict began. The United States wants to make sure that it has the capacity city to be able to sustain this fight. And really there is a clock on this conflict at the moment from the United States perspective. So look, it's a lot of money. It would amount to a de facto war authorization vote in the Congress, and it goes to the fact that there is no consensus around this, and again it's an insight into how Donald Trump operates. He didn't try to build a consensus and he didn't consult with his allies either, Claire, which I think is one of the fascinating things that has emerged. A couple of weeks into the conflict, the United States President started asking for help to unclog the strait of hermus but none of the groundwork in that coalition building discussing this beforehand, was done. And we saw that in again very bombastic Trump fashion with Prime Minister Takaichi of Japan, where he said, we wanted the element of surprise.
Speaker 4: One question, why didn't you tell us eyes in Europe and Asia like Japan about the war before? Are so we are very confused about Japanese.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing, you don't want to signal too much, you know, when we go in, we went in very high, and we didn't tell anybody about it because we wanted surprise. Who knows better about surprise than Japan? Okay, why didn't you tell me about Pearl Harbor? Okay? Right, He's askab me, do you believe in surprise?
Speaker 1: It was so awkward.
Speaker 3: I think that the Japanese Prime Minister wished that question, which was asked for the Japanese reporter, never came up. That's for Sue and she the floor.
Speaker 1: She wanted the floor to open up and swallow her hole, didn't she.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it looks like. But I think that's perhaps one of the issues Donald Trump is facing this conflict player he didn't build a political consensus around it. And it also goes to this sense I think of US unilateralism and the new Trump doctrine, the Dunroad doctrine, America First foreign policy, it's no longer working the way it typically has within the multilateral assistant to the same extent, and Donald Trump wants to do things on his own increasingly, and we saw this with Venezuela. I think it's quite telling this conflict Operation Epic Fury came after Venezuela because clearly Donald Trump was very confident and encouraged by the performance of the US military in Venezuela in securing the outcome of removing and extracting Nicholas Maduro there. So I think in some ways we're seeing maybe the limitations of this new go it alone American unilateralism, and it's causing a bit of tension within the traditional United States Alliance network.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly is the Australian's Washington DC correspondent. Thanks so much, Joe, Thanks Claire. Joe Kelly is the Australian's correspondent in Washington DC. You can read all the latest on the situation in the Middle East right now at the Australian dot com dot au