Speaker 1: Apodjake Production. Welcome back to another episode Aboutmia Bad Mum podcast. We're on Instagram as well at Am I A Bad Mum?
Speaker 2: We sure are.
Speaker 1: Can we ask everybody a favor to go onto the app where you listen to the podcast, so whether it be Apple or Spotify or wherever, and can you just click the follow button? Yeah, because that helps out so much for the podcast. It also reminds you when we got new episodes out and things like that.
Speaker 2: It really does help a lot. I might have to go back in and double check that I've clicked that bog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was an Apple update recently and it basically stopped following everyone's podcast. Oh wow, so it put a pause on so people don't realize that you're a new episode out and that sort of thing. Yeah, just go on there, check that you're following. You get the little tick or the little follow button, and then that really.
Speaker 2: Helps us happy listening to our parenting fails. Am I a Bad Mum? For resilience building? Now this is not resilience within me being a mum, but I was really proud of how I handled a certain situation when I took my kids on a small weekend get away. Well it wasn't small and it did only go for a weekend, but it felt like a lifetime. But we went to Queenstown. It was the girls and I and we had the best time, Like we genuinely had such a great time, and there was something on every single day Katie and I had to maybe put myself out of the comfort zone a little bit because we did things like one of the days we did the loge. Is that what I have done? This the looge? It's like a go kart, Yeah, and you go down the side of a hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I haven't been to Coeen Sound, but I've done that in Singapore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're doing this down side of a cliff. Basically it's super fun and super sat like the little go karts. Yeah. Yeah. So in my head, this resilience piece is more about my resilience as a parent because I've got two totally different children when it comes to new things that we're trying together, and there's just me and so I can I just guess Witch childs there's Witch.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing that Gracie is more like you and a little bit reserve to probably a little bit more cautious and I reckon. Elsie's going down there with their eyes closed backwards.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent right, And so we have to go on one side of the track for your first ride, and you have to go on this line, and then this line is for everyone that comes up, and it continually does it because you can buy it impacts of like three, five, ten rides, however many you want to do, so I had bought us five each, even for me. I'm going, fuck, I don't want to go down this hill on this go kart. What if I end up over the side of the hill. How the girls gonna get home? Anyway? We go up, we do this lineup. Elsie's banging on, like, you know, carrying on. I'm like, mate, just calm down. You've got to learn. It's like trying to teach a nine year old. You've got to learn to walk before you can run. We've never done this before. We've got to learn how to stop this thing to be able to get to the bottom of this hill. She's carrying on. Gracie's starting to like work herself into a tears, going, oh my god, oh my god, I might turn it down. You're gonna be fine now we got through that that was fine. We get onto the track, the lady's explaining it got to go left, gotta go right now, stop now, start, YadA, yadda. Okay, good, you're good to go. That little piece of me as a mom that goes, oh fuck, I haven't thought this three Oh my god, oh my god. Now you guess right. There's El's bamm like just taking off and I'm going, you're like in air dust the fuck. And then I've got Gracie, who's patiently next to me, going oh, stay with you, mum, And I'm thinking, yeah, I know why, babe, It's totally fine. Let's just get to the bottom of this one and then we'll work out how it works. You know, I'm trying to talk her into it. I'm also gradually nudging Ford and like more and more in front because she's so slow. And at this point, Katie, I can't see my other fucking second born anywhere because she's gone. She's just ripped in letless and just taking her hands off the brakes basically and flying down the hill. So in my head I'm going, stay calm, stay patient, you're doing well, Gracie, come on, dull like I'm hurry up. I'm dying inside, going I'm gonna absolutely where is that kid? Anyway, let's fast forward. I don't know how long it takes us to get to the bottom. Let's just say forty five seconds to a minute, or maybe longer. I don't know, because Gracie really didn't cell in trying to go a little bit faster. We get to the bottom. Now you get off the gokut, you walk around. You've got to get back on the gondola to get back up to the top. Now where do you think? My first one is I'm at the front of the line to get on the next gondola by herself to a chair lift to get up to the top. I'm looking at don't you dare? Don't get on that. And then I've proceeded to do as one good parent to another. I looked at the lady running the chair lift and was like, do not let her get on until I'm there, And this lady was like what okay? And then I'm like, crazy, hurry up. Anyway, So we get around there and I looked at Elsie and she is white as a ghost, and I said, babe, what's going on? What's up? What's wrong? And she goes, mo, my crash. It was pretty bad. Oh. I was like, you crashed. I said that we're trying to tell you take the first one with a little less speed, understand how it works, and then the next four rip in go for gold. She said, well, I only slammed into the side of to the side of the like to the barrier and spun and stopped, so she would have got a fair whack like, but she was fine. She wasn't injured. I mean, she might have had a bit of whiplash, but she were nothing that anyway. So the next one, I said, okay. I was trying to be like the cool mom, trying to be like, okay, let's do the next one together. And you can have two directions. One's got this one way, which is a lot more like quicker and sharper. The other way is like a little less. And I said, why don't we try and go past the camera and do a little less and see if we can get a photo together or something like that, because there's cameras all down the track anyway. So we did that. That was fine, built up her confidence. Round three, mate, she was fucking flogging it down that hill. I was like, I don't know if the resilience building is for me as a parent or whether this is for them. And I was just like, oh my god. I looked at Gracie and I was like, your sister, I can't how did you feel one? Two were three in?
Speaker 1: Did you wish you'd just gone for the three?
Speaker 2: I was in then, because then the other part of Elsie that's let loose from get go is that there's a part of me in that where I'm like looking like Grace, come on, girl, you're holding me up. I want to have a good go at this and all these people are passing us and it's really hurting my pride right now. And I could be winning and I'm not.
Speaker 1: So that's the competitiveness coming out. And yeah, the mom who likes to win, the mum's racist sports kind of yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is like, this was a resilience building trip for all three of us. Now carry forward to one of the other days. Really quickly. I hired bikes in Arrowtown and you go for a cycler and now the bike riding it sort of said that it was I don't know about fourteen kilometers and I thought fourteen k's on a pushy is not bad.
Speaker 1: Sounds pretty wholesome.
Speaker 2: Now this track was wholesome, all right. We got back. We were filthy. There were moments in the track, Katie, where I legitimately had two little girls that I thought were obviously much older than they are, and they're complaining, we can't do this, like this is so hard, and I just looked at them. I said, just stay with me. I said, this is going to make you stronger and stronger each pedal that you take. Just think about one pedal at a time. That's all we can think about. We're going to get there, think about whatever's at the end, that I'll buy you an ice cream at the end, what heck, whatever it is. Yeah, I tried everything, but at the same time, you know what got us over the line was they didn't give up. I kept telling them how bloody awesome they were because they were because I was hurting so bad, and I was having these mother moments where I was like, right, this must have been the biggest brain fight you've ever had as a mother, because like we ended up nearly clocking thirty kilometers thirty Katie, I did not read the fourteen kilometers there.
Speaker 1: Oh, all right, okay.
Speaker 2: But you know this part of being a personal trainer and this whole like resilience and don't give up and we can do this. That was still sitting in my brain going, no, we can make it to the bungee jump and then we've got to ride all the way.
Speaker 1: I wasn't have fun having these active holidays. You're like, Oh, we're gonna be really active on this holiday. We're really going to do you know the last holday I had we got quad bikes in Bali. Not only did we get quad bikes in Bali, you have to go through the river.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're like, go all right, free do what go? You have to go like full thrott all through the water.
Speaker 1: I was like, I just closed my eyes.
Speaker 2: Mate, I would have been closing my mouth so that the river water wasn't in my mouth. Now I'm talking about resilience building.
Speaker 1: Now, at least you were in New Zealand where the safety standards are the same as they are here. Because I feel like I don't do any of that active shit at home. Yeah, here where I know the safety is right. But yeah, I will do quad bikes in Bali and the zip line in Banawatu, where my helmet was so big it was sideways and I was belly in a harness.
Speaker 2: Okay, if we go, and then you just let the girls go ziplining as yeah, they my kids go. Barely got harness on home, broken foot,