Speaker 1: I tell you, welcome to another installment of your favorite show, The U Project. Craig, Anthony, Harp, Tippany and Cook's meant to be here, but selfishly is not shure. We editing it later on behalf of David Knight if where the fuck are you? Anyway? The two important people are here, Gillaspo, Good afternoon, my friend. How are you good?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: Greg? Did you grow up with a nickname? I feel like you were probably AUSTRAIGHTI one eighty.
Speaker 2: I probably had lots of nicknames, but I don't recall what they were, and they probably weren't pleasant. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Were you a I know this is not what we're talking about, but we'll get there. Were you an academic kid, a sporting kid? Were you intense? Were you a fucking trouble maker? You can figure out what I was, it's not hard, But what were you?
Speaker 2: I was lucky enough to be fairly academically gifted to the point where I didn't really have to do much, and so I didn't really really yeah, so all the way through, and it was a rude shock when I got to university. Actually, and suddenly in university you're you're there with a whole bunch of people who are similar and suddenly you do have to do something or you're just not going to pass. That was a bit of a shock for me. And I know that sounds really like egotistical or whatever, but it just it's the way it was for me. And I was really really lucky in the teachers I had because a lot of them recognize that, and just to stop me being a pain in class, which I would tend to be if I got bored, they would find things to, you know, keep me out of everyone's way.
Speaker 1: I guess that's funny. This is I know, this wasn't where we're to go, and we might end up where we were going to go. But like, you're really involved in education with free schools, dot organ all the other stuff. You're great, other great stuff you do, and you've got forty seven children of your own, And do you think that being this is like almost a contrary question, but do you think that sometimes being gifted is not the advantage that it might seem like academically, intellectually, creatively, you know, in a sporting sense, I feel like it's an advantage, but for some people it ends up becoming a disadvantage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a really great quote about talent which I've completely forgotten, which basically something like what you just said there, which is and I feel that applies in most domains. You know, most people have something that they're naturally quite good at, or better than the average brown bear. And in that something, I guess you either learn to use that as an advantage and really excel at it's because natural talent only takes you so far, you know, if you imagine it sort of like where your talent is at level nine and everyone else starts at level two. Eventually they get to level nine with enough training and persistence, and we'll go past you to level ten, eleven, and twelve because they've had to work really really hard to get to level nine and they know how to improve from level nine, whereas you have always been at level nine and you know nothing about getting to level ten. So I think, yeah, it can be a distinct disadvantage if you want to excel in the thing that you're naturally talented at.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like like I was, I mean, I wasn't dumb, but I certainly wasn't academically gifted, right, not athleticly gifted, not physically gifted, and because I was so mediocre, you know, fat kid morbidly ob saw that stuff because I was so mediocre and I didn't want to be like I took my time. But it was about fourteen I had this epiphany, which probably had something to do with testosterone and girls and social fucking isolation and a whole bunch of things, and realizing that I was going to fail school if I didn't actually do so. All of these kind of things kind of intersected. But I think for me, being mediocre was highly motivating because it started with losing weight and I successfully changed my body like dramatically in about four months. And while the physical change was good, it kind of opened a door in my brain that went, oh, what else could I do? Like if I do work, make decisions, be committed, get uncomfortable and keep getting uncomfortable, what else could I create? So for me, it was like almost that default setting of mediocrity was what gave me the drive to not be mediocre. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: But it also taught you how to not be mediocre, that you had to do things and get results, and then when you want to move on from that level, that you've achieved, then you know how to do it. And I think that's kind of what happened to me with university. Like I said, when I got to first year UNI and then suddenly everyone else was as smart as me. And you know, my undergraduate degree, my first undergraduate degree, I think I came in with a solid four average or something like that, you know, going with the thing of four's open doors. I don't know if it's the same everywhere in Australia to four as.
Speaker 1: A path here, and.
Speaker 2: That was a bit of shock to the system. But by the time I went on to do higher degrees, I'd kind of figured out what I should have known all along and what probably other people who had to work really hard to get to that level did know, which is how you improve, how you learn more, how you do things more efficiently, how you how you get better. And so you know, by the time I did other degrees, you know, I was able to get sevens and and because I'd learned how to do that, whereas never before in my life had I had to learn that. And that's kind of what I mean is if if you start from from what you're talking about, we start at a place where you're saying, well, I don't think anything about the way I look or my physique or whatever is good enough, and I'm going to learn how to improve it. And then you do. Then it becomes something that you become really really good at improving, whereas someone who's born looking like an Adonis and has to do nothing is never going to learn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went to school with some kids. Some of them done great, have done great, But yeah, a few that I went to school with do I bump into every now and then? Who are these like athletic freaks? You would not recognize them as athletic freaks now, no disrespect, you know, And you're like, oh, because I used to look at these guys and go, fuck, I wish I look like that, you know, or I wish I had that sporting ability.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I mean you see it all the time. You see kids who are eighteen, nineteen, twenty years old are absolutely perfect physiques that they have done absolutely nothing to earn. They chugged down Coca cola and Mars bars every second minute. They you know, seem to be completely impervious to putting on weight. They have a sculpted physique and are actually doing nothing to achieve that, and so when the biochemistry catches up with them and their body metabolism stabilizers in their twenties, suddenly they have no recipes for how to change the inevitable and fairly swift decline that occurs. Then. So whereas someone like you, perhaps who worked to get to that point, understands the rules and understands how to change them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, but for some people, like we have a lot of people who listen to this show who I think, they get a little bit inspired and motivated, and not because I'm a great communicator or brilliant, but because they go, ah, harps is normal and he failed this, and he is. You know, for all the things that I've tried, most of them didn't work. Some did you know, even with this show, I've said.
Speaker 2: It's true, but that's true of everything, and anyone who tells your story there is they were an overnight success. Yeah, probably one lotto, because I don't know of anyone else that's an overnight success that hasn't put in twenty work, twenty years of failure to get there. It's just it's the persistent that succeed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I did. Six hundred were fifth, ten hundred, and I think today this episode is one five five eight. And I did at least six hundred episodes that I lost money on, even though the show was pretty good and we were getting good feedback and it was growing. But by the time I, you know, like I built a studio at home, and I did all these things, and I paid Melissa who works with me, and Tiff, and you know, by the time we paid everything and everyone, we were still losing money for like two years, which is not the longest apprenticeship in the world. But we did three shows before the U Project that didn't work. So by the time this thing actually became sponsored and consistently sponsored, in in the black and a consistently decent audience. And yeah, it was four years. And people say to me all the time, not all the time, but at least fifty times I've had someone say to me, oh, yeah, I tried a podcast, but you know, the market's just saturated. It wasn't going to work. And they did, like the average podcast does seven episodes. That's how long the average podcast lasts. And when I ask people how many episodes they did, it's never more than twenty or thirty. It's usually less than ten, and I go, I did, including my other you know, I did hundreds before it even and it also I'll let the audience figure out whether or not I'm any good at this. But before I got to a point where I thought, well, I'm not shit at this, it was still hundreds of episodes, you know, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I look, I could tell you the same story over and over again, but I'll tell you a similar story about my son James, who you've interviewed. I think, yeah, yeah, Now, James, he does that clean bill side where he's rung every doctor in Australia and every dentist in Australia, and he does it every six months. And that's you know, that's twenty thousand, thirty thousand, forty thousand people. He's paying people to ring them. He's paying it out of his own pocket. He's been doing it for four or five years and losing money hand over fist. No one's getting him to do it. He's basically providing a public service. And yet suddenly people are asking him can they purchase his data and can they purchase subscriptions to his data? And in the last few months he started getting serious orders for something that for the last four or five years, he was losing serious amounts of his own hobby money in essence running and it was just out of sheer persistence of knowing that this is something that had value, knowing that it needed to be done, and just persisting. That got him too a point where now when his siblings hear about him making yet another sale and you know, making more in a sale than he makes than they make in a year, you know, they're they're regarding him as an overnight success when he's anything but because you've had to really really grind and just like you with the podcast, do that for so long. And the same thing happened with me with the Sweet Poison books, which were the first thing that sort of got me the publishing deals and so on. Is for the first two years of Sweet Poison being out there, I think they sold maybe two thousand books. You know, there was word of mouth, I guess, going around it. There was no real evidence that anyone cared. And then suddenly, all of a sudden it just took off and people would look at that and say, overnight success. Sure, but what about the three or four years you pore that?
Speaker 1: What why do you I mean, just specific to that, What do you think that was about? Like? Why did that catch fire when it had been, you know, in a holding pattern for so long. I think that there's things going on under the surface that you can't see, that you don't feel like. All I did was go out and do every radio spot I could possibly think of, you know, I'd pitch things left, right and center.
Speaker 2: Every day. I got told told no more times than you've had hot dinners, and it didn't stop me continuing to ask. I'd write something about sugar, There'd be a story in the media, there'd be something about something in a canteen, people you know, eating this, that or the other, and I'd pitch it at everyone I could think of, and sometimes they do an interview with me, and there'd be no obvious effect of that, because how would you know. But I think what happens is under the surface enough people here at enough times, from enough different people that it suddenly translates into an obvious movement.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, it's funny how you think. I mean, we have these I know, we're not talking about our intended topic. Fuck it, it's funny how you have these ideas of what will work and what won't and how things might transpire. I did a I was like fifteen years ago. Now I did a maybe twelve years ago. I've done a few random interviews, probably like yourself on TV. I've worked in radio a lot, but bits and pieces of Telly. And I got interviewed on Channel ten on the Morning show with David and Kim. It was it was a national show. I think I got into. I don't even know what the topic was, but it was on my at that stage. It was very health fitness exercise based. I did that and then after I did the interview, I got called up to the executive producers. One of the people on the floor with a clipboard and the fucking microphone like the Hungry Jack's headset came and said, oh, the executive producer once talked to you, and I go, that sounds terrifying. Anyway, I went. It was a lady called Sandy.
Speaker 2: I met her.
Speaker 1: She goes, what Telly have you done?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What have you done? And I said none, really, like nothing other than just random interviews. And she goes, oh, she goes, would you would you like to come back next week and do another spot? And I went sure, which I didn't really know was an audition, and I came back and did another spot and then she asked me if I want to be a regular, right, But my long winded point is I went, fuck, this is it. I'm going to kill now. I'm on National Telly. I'm a big deal. Now. It didn't change one thing. Like it didn't like I thought, I'm going to be so big in about two weeks. And I mean, you know a few people like it had.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought when you started having me on the You project.
Speaker 1: Great, No, it's.
Speaker 2: It's a Maine shade. I'm set now, Bloody Craig half was talking to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's not happening, but it is. I wanted to ask you back to the back to the you know you coming up being a gifted academic or at least you know, having that intellectual advantage, which is that's just what you're born with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't anything I did. And that's the only thing is is you know, you say something like that and people think you're big, noting yourself, and it's kind of the opposite because I didn't do anything for that. I got born. I mean, if we look at a biological example, Actually it was my mother who did it, because she stored enough of the right kind of fat in her buttocks to give me a brain capable of doing those things that higher speeds. And you know, that's the biochemistry of it all and worth knowing. By the way, if you're number two child in a rush or number three child in a rush, is it all the good stuff might have been used up on the first child. I am an eldest child, by the way.
Speaker 1: That is hilarious. So it's all about your mum's buttocks everyone, it is.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's what kind of fat she stores in a bum.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is just all kinds of weird. But I was thinking about, Look, you're exactly right, and it's like, there are some things that like, I think I'm natural. I'm a reasonably articulate, I'm reasonally good communicator, And even when I was a young fat kid, I was probably a better communicator than most of my peers in terms of I could hold conversations with grown ups and you know, and kind of be right there in the middle of it and have been needed to be, didn't you because you know it was going to be all to otherwise. That's reminds you of something that a mate said to me when we were, you know, eighteen year olds. And he was a fairly wealthy family and his parents bought him a pretty flash car when he was an eighteen year old. And I managed to buy my own Hold and Gemini out of my earnings at working at the sports store, and no one was was a secondhand blue nurse's car, you know, one of those really nice pale blue Hold Geminis. And he used to say, have a go at me and say, you know you're never going to pick up in that car, right, And I said to him, mate, if a girl interested in me when I'm driving this car, then she's interested in me, not the car. That is. That is very good retort and true that is.
Speaker 2: Whereas with him lingering down, is it the Ferrari or is it the guy driving the Ferrari?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, well yeah, did he literally have a Ferrari?
Speaker 2: Yes, he did literally had a Ferrari? Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: That that's I mean, there's wealthy and then they're stupid wealthy or maybe stupid debt, who knows. I was going to ask you, though, do you think that like we're talking about kids or we do talk a little bit about kids being you know, resilient and like, because I mean my mum and dad I had a great childhood. But I certainly wasn't molly coddled on any level. You know, I was an only kid, but Mum and dad worked all the time. I let myself in at four o'clock when I got home, or three forty five when I got home. Mom and Dad got home at six. And in the country kid, I was one of them. Yeah yeah, And I mean like I had everything I needed. I didn't live in a house with any violence or any alcoholism or any abuse. So I was very fortunate. But you know that, like there wasn't any kind of doting, so to speak. And so when by the time when I was doing Year twelve, like a couple of months in, Mom and Dad sat me down because we moved a lot. I thought Dad was a drug dealer, but he wasn't. But we moved a lot. No, he worked in retail. Then he got off at a job in Tasmania, a state manager for an organization called Brashes, which you might remember Brashes Yeah still yeah, yeah, yeah. So anyway, they moved. I was seventeen, so I stayed and that was the last time I lived with him. I was seventeen years old, and I lived essentially, I boarded with a family, but essentially lived by myself. But so when I came out and I started working, I was already resilient. I was already making decisions, I was already sustaining, and I was seventeen years old. Then at eighteen, I moved to Western Australia by myself. Worked on a construction site through the day and worked in gyms at night, and then worked in pubs three nights a week. After that, I had three jobs when I was eighteen. And not saying that's good or bad, but I feel like sometimes now maybe where over I don't know, over molly coddling or protecting our kids to the point where when they do leave the nest, maybe they don't have the resourcefulness and resilience that's going to hold them in good stead.
Speaker 2: Well, there's quite a lot written about this, and I think I probably went over some of it in the teen Brain book. That adolescence has been extended. So it's probably a result of the extension in first age of first birth. So age of first birth for females in Australia has massively increased in the last twenty or thirty years. So when Lizzie, my wife, and I had our first child at I think she was twenty five, that was relatively late for our generation. So that was, you know, in the nineties, and that was relatively late. You know, a lot of her friends had already had their first child, you know, twenty three, twenty four years old. You say that to a twenty three or twenty four year old now and they will think you're insane. They do not have an expectation that they will be having children until their mid thirties if then, And that reflects what's going on in the population in general. According to the ABS statistics, at least when I wrote teen Brain, which is a few years ago now this is probably much higher than this, But when I wrote that, I think was something like thirty three point five. So is the average age of the mother at their first child. So it's that extension of childhood from on average mothers having their first child in their low twenties to their low to mid thirties means that there's an extended period where the child is probably effectively being looked after by their parents, and probably having their housing provided by their parents. And that's a consequence of the economy that's been built by honest so quite honestly quite weird tax policy where we subsidize the investment in property, and all of that added together means that adolescence doesn't finish at eighteen or anything like it, or seventeen in your case, it's more normal to be thinking about a thirty year old as what you were at seventeen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was eight or eighteen and a half, this is not a good childhood, but I mean it just was mine. Like I was quite big, I was a bodybuilder. I was working in gyms, I was working on construction all day. When I was eighteen and a half, I was working in pubs three nights a week getting punched in the face like, which is no surprise at the job.
Speaker 2: They said that our craig, listen, we just want to stand over there and get punched in the face.
Speaker 1: Well, we want you to stand over there and be large and intimidating and don't let dickheads in. I mean that was my brief, right, or get rid of dickheads, right, whatever, But you think about putting a teenager in that position now like you wouldn't even you wouldn't dream of it.
Speaker 2: Do you think that?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I just want to talk for a moment about potential and with children, helping them develop their potential, whether that's academic, whether that's you know, a commercial potential, physical potential, you know, relationships, communication. I feel like, you know, if we're we're delaying their development so to speak, or they're you know, they're basically becoming twenty five year old teenagers, what's that doing to their capacity for growth and learning and optimizing their either intellectual potential or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's It's probably not doing much if you consider that the generation that that is happening to, and this, you know, we are going to work our way back around to a bit of a topic here that the generation that that is happening to are not like any other generation, and they're not like their parents either, And there's a tendency for parents these days to think that criticism of you know, kids that age is just the usual you know kids these days type criticism you know that you get from every older generation is ah, these rat bag you know, you got it in the sixties and the seventies and the eighties and so on. But there is a fundamental difference with this generation, and it started thirteen years ago and we are just now starting to see it make a difference. And the thing that happened thirteen years ago is the iPad was released. And this is not to say that, you know, Apple is the enemy of the universe, it's just that they were the first. And why it mattered that the iPad was released is suddenly you had Internet on a stick, in the sense that prior to that, if you wanted to access the Internet, you really had to be somewhere near a computer, which had to be somewhere near a PowerPoint, and somewhere near an Internet connection, usually a cable. And what the iPad and a few years before the iPhone had done is unshackle all of that, so that suddenly you had the Internet twenty four seven heaven, anywhere you were. And that's a very, very big change if it's coupled with some other things that happened around about the same time, which is the invention of or at least the getting big of things like Facebook, Instagram, first person shooter gaming, online gambling, and a high resolution free pornography. Now old fellas like us will remember Craig that it wasn't that long ago that if you wanted to engage in the looking at nude young ladies, you would have to make a trip to your local newsagent.
Speaker 1: By a periodical called Mayfair.
Speaker 2: That's right, or Playboy even And you know, have you raised ready to undo the CNS house, right? And you compare that to what the average seventeen, sixteen, fifteen year old boy has access to today twenty four to seven in their pocket. And it's just not even on the same planet. And I'm not wanting to target pornography. It's just that pornography is a terrific example to the people who say simulation can't be addictive. So often when I talk about addiction to groups, people you know, are quite clear on the fact that you know, obviously nicotine is addictive, and alcohol is addictive, and cocaine's addictive, and heroin's addictive. That's all very clear. These are substances clear as But often people will say when I say, okay, well yeah, but so gaming apps, and they'll say, oh, yeah, but that's that's just a simulation. You know, that's that's not real and it's not a substance. No one's injecting that into your veins. And pornography is a great example of a simulation that is quite addictive. You know, it's got a syndrome that we know is related to high levels of addiction. And then as people say, oh, that's a bit of a stretch, I don't know any porn addicts, well, you know, you might be mixing with the wrong crowd, because we certainly know about gambling addicts, which is yet another simulation addiction. And so it shows that it's possible to addict the human brain by simply running a simulation that stimulates dopamine, which both of those things do. And what we did in twenty eleven is distribute a device, a delivery platform which allowed simulations of dopamine stimulation to be distributed, so not just pornography, not just gambling, but some new fangled ones like the one that simulates oxytocin stimulation, which we call social media, or the one that O you know, that simulates dopamine stimulation from fear, which is what we call gaming. So we did that thirteen years ago. So no parent today can say they know what it's like to be a teenager today. Because no parent today grew up surrounded by addiction. No parent today grew up with addiction available twenty four to seven, and that's very, very different. And remembering that the only time you can really become addicted as a human is those ten years between the start of puberty and your early twenties, because that's the only time the brains defenses against addiction are down, then no parent of life today can understand what it's like to have grown up in an age where addiction was available for all of those ten years. So we've gone from a situation where in our day as teenagers, if you wanted to get addicted to something, you had to be pretty damn risk, high risk taker to You had to find a way to get access to something that was potentially addictive, and you had to be able to do it regularly, so adventurous and the high risk takers were the ones who became addicts, which was very very small percentage of the population. Now, if you want to become an addict, and even if you don't, all you have to do is turn on your phone and you have total privacy to do that anywhere, anyhow, anytime. Now, the kids these days aren't kids these days. They are a completely different beast because they're the first humans where every single one of them has been exposed twenty four to seven to addiction. Now, the interesting thing is it's taken us thirteen years, but we are finally seeing every single day in the paper. Every day, every time I pick up the paper, I see yet another story about social media addiction and how the government wants to limit the age of access and all that good stuff. Well, that's all really fabulous. None of it will have any effect because that is not the primary source of addiction and it's not going to change anything making a rule about whether someone has to be seen in order to access it. But the good news is at least they're acknowledging that there's a problem.
Speaker 1: So if social media is not, what are you saying when you say it's not the.
Speaker 2: Source of addiction, Well, it is a source of addiction, but it's it's It would be sort of like saying, you know what we're going to do. We're going to go into this room full of alcoholics and cocaine addicts and we're going to stop them smoking. Okay, good, that's a good thing. And yes, you are removing an addiction. But is it the primary problem? No, it isn't. Is it a pathway to the problem, Yes it is, and yes it's great that we're talking about it. And yes it's great that we're recognizing that it's possible to create addiction using something as innocuous as a social media app. But there's a long pathway to go there.
Speaker 1: And and interestingly, while obviously you know, booze and drugs create you know, where we're putting a physical thing in our physical body and creating a physiological response, We're still creating a physiological response even with a virtual stimulus.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely, you know, it's still like it's.
Speaker 1: Like oxytocin and or dopamine is what people are addicted to. It's just that the pathway is different.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I look, I mean not to get too graphic for your audience, but looking at pornography generally creates a real world physiological response. So that's an example of having nothing other than your imagination essentially, Yes, you know, with some visual aids getting a real world biochemical response.
Speaker 1: Who's there's there's a new term for pornography. Okay, kids, we're going to call these everyone jrop this down. Visual aids. There's a physical logical response boys and girls, and the same.
Speaker 2: Thing happens less obviously. I guess every time you stimulate dopamine, and it's relatively easy to stimulate dopamine, all you've got to do is simulate something that stimulates don't mean in the real world, but do it a lot more quickly and a lot more frequently. And so when you play a first person shooter game, that's simulating what it's like to be an armed combat in the real world, which believe me, would stimulate dopamine. But you get to do it a thousand times a day rather than once in your lifetime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also the downside of first person shooter games is not just dopamine, but you know, adrenaline and cortisol, which you know enough of that over a long enough time is shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, look there are downsides to all of this stuff. I mean to the substances. There are you know, lots of downsides because they will have side effects. And people say, oh, but hold on, isn't isn't say something like social media, which also gives a dopamine stimulation, and the real world example that it's simulating is what happens in the real world, when we do something and somebody tells us they like what we're doing, which is our social glue, the thing that binds us together. We feel good when people in our group tell us they like what we're doing. So that's the oxytocin which generates the dopamine stimulation. Social media multiplies that by factors of a thousand, because all you've got to do is put a picture up and see alike, and every time you see that like, you get the little oxotocin hit. So these simulators, when you do them frequently enough, generate lots of dophin. Now, as you say, some of them have other side effects. So for example, that one, the one that's created by first person shooter, you're getting testosterone stimulation, you're getting adrenaline stimulation, and they all have their own side effects. But people would say, okay, but let's pull back from that. Is there any real problem of people being addicts? Yes, there is. Yeah, if you look at people being addicts to substances, you'd say, sure, there's a real problem, but they're the problems associated with the side effects. So if you say the problem with people being alcoholics is that they're drunk, So if you could be an alcoholic without being drunk, would there be a problem. You'd be feeling good most of the time, no one else would notice, and it wouldn't affect the way you worked. You're still an addict. But it's the side effect that causes people to be concerned about addiction. And so they would say, Okay, well, this electronic addiction we're talking about here, if it weren't for the fact that you lose money by gambling, would having a gambling problem be a problem? The answer is yes, it is because the biochemistry that creates the addiction, and I know we've talked about this before, perverts the way our brain perceives risk and creates anxiety, depression ADHD, ultimately psychosis and schizophrenia. So it puts our brain on a pathway to in essence, insanity and depression. And so the downside to addiction shouldn't be confused with the downsides of the side effects, which is what everyone focuses on. Ie, if you're an alcoholic, you're drunk all the time, that's a downside. The much worse downside to addiction is not the side effect of a substance. Because we're now talking increasingly about addictions which aren't substance based. The downside to the addiction is what it does to the human brain, which is why we are seeing teen anxiety, teen depression, teen ADHD, teen suicide at levels we have never seen it before, because we are exposing that entire population to addiction.
Speaker 1: Wow. I was chatting, we'll wind up. But I was chatting to a guy recently who drinks and smokes, and he was asking me some stuff. I said, how much do you smoke? And he said a pack a day And I don't even know what's in a and I can't remember if you said thirty or thirty five. And I said how much is that? And he's like sixty. I go, you spend sixty dollars a day on cigarettes? And he goes, yep, I go, that's four hundred and twenty dollars a week. That's twenty one thousand dollars a year. That's twenty one k a year on cigarettes before he eats a sandwich or has a beer, or pays a bill or puts gas in his car. I'm like fuck. I mean, apart from all the horrible consequences of smoking, you need to be rich to smoke.
Speaker 2: And the interesting thing is that if you were to ask him, why don't you stop, he would say, I want to stop, I just can't. Yeah, every addict wants to stop. Every addict knows they're an addict. Every teenager who can't get off social media knows they're addicted to social media. They want to get off it just as much as your friend wants to get off smoking. But that's the definition of addiction. If you could stop, you wouldn't be an addict. And that's the interesting point that everyone forgets when they start making moral judgments about addiction.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's wind up, but before we do, has your new fiction book that's in the pipeline. You've been a non fiction man, but now you're opening the door on storytelling of sorts.
Speaker 2: I'm still playing around with stuff, you know. The interesting thing is I'm finding AI really helpful for this sort of thing. Yeah. No, not meaning that I'm having AI write a book for me, but it's really interesting to do some stuff like I find playing with the style in AI really really interesting. So if you write something, just write it how you'd write it, and then say, rewrite this in the style of a certain author and It's incredible what a job it does on replicating that, and I find it fascinating. I also find it fascinating if you are ask it to say, look at a narrative arc that you've created. You know, so what the storyline is going to be. You say, this is going to happen, and then that's going to happen, and this character is going to have that happen to them, etc. You give it that narrative arc, and then you say, right, I want you to line this up with narrative arcs typically used by this or that author, and it'll come back with adjustments to the narrative arc which we'll say things like, well, what about if we kill this character off here, or if we impose risk on this character here? And I find that's an interesting use of the technology as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had two interesting experiences lately. One is someone said to me, I've been doing this deep dive on you know, the way that our thoughts can impact our body. And somebody said to me, you need to read the Biology of Belief by doctor Bruce Lipton, which you'd be fascinated in. And I think I started it fifteen years ago, but I and finish it. So I just typed in chatter GPT can you give me a synopsis of the book, And it just gave me this fucking amazing one page overview, like like, so, I mean, I know it's not you know, it's concise, but I'm like, I've got a reasonably good understanding of the core messages and key messages in three or four minutes, which doesn't replace reading it. But then the other day I was often when I I'm doing something, I don't type it in. I just talk into my phone. I go, you know, what are the what's the you know, at what age does the average Australian give birth for the first time or something? You know? And I said, I said to it, how trainable like this is? I said, to chat to you, how trainable are you? I said, can you use my name when we talk? Goes sure, Craig. Would you like me to use it at the start of the conversation or would you like me to weave it through our conversations? And I didn't tell it my name. Obviously it has acts as to that information. But it was creepy how quick it went Sure Craig and then just started talking to me like we were on the phone. Yep, it is fucking amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, they do remarkable simulations of human interaction now, but the problem, the problem is remembering that it's not a human. And that's what most of us have difficulty with, is remembering we're not talking to a human. We're just talking to something that's doing a really good imitation of a human.
Speaker 1: My nervous system and my body. It's one of my best friends right now, it's in my top five friends.
Speaker 2: So hey, we appreciate you, sir, and that probably we didn't get to talk about the thing we were supposed to talk about.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it another time, doesn't matter, we'll say affair. But for the moment, thanks mate
Speaker 2: See you, Greg,