Speaker 1: Ah, there they are good to have you on board. Welcome to the podcast. Or is that a new haircut? You look sensational?
Speaker 2: Well done?
Speaker 3: Wait are you talking about your new haircut?
Speaker 1: I did? What a coincidence? Jeez?
Speaker 4: We had fun on Tuesday, taboo topic Tuesday. It's always a belt up. But we caught up with an undercover cop who single handedly brought down one of the biggest crime figures this state has ever seen.
Speaker 1: You would pay good money to watch a series like this on Netflix even if it wasn't true. But it is true. It's actually quite mind boggling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got the extended chat in the podcast, don't we.
Speaker 1: You boxed on with Harrison from Maths.
Speaker 3: She shouldn't box on with him.
Speaker 4: I just asked him a few questions, a few pertinent questions that every woman on the planet is asking.
Speaker 3: Harrison.
Speaker 1: Okay, just can't breathe, just calm down, all right? Is this me gas lighting? Yeah, let's talk about you going hard on Harrison for gas lighting?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I said to you, did I sound like a bit of a b C.
Speaker 3: H And you were like a little bit, You're crazy?
Speaker 1: Gas larning? Good times. We had a really fun edition of dead or alive? Do you know what? Because every time Neil Diamond comes up, sweet, really really good stuff. And of course Johnny Cash myself today was involved. It's a really really good fun show.
Speaker 3: Villain, Little Burn and Ring a Fire.
Speaker 1: It's Jodie and Hazy. Thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 2: We love you.
Speaker 6: Taboo Sweet Taboo Topic Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Yes, Taboo Topic Tuesday. This is fast becoming my favorite show. We do it once a week and it's those parts, all those stories which you just sort of say, can you talk about that? Where we're doing it, We're having a crack at it.
Speaker 3: I've been brave, been brave.
Speaker 1: That's where can be stunning and brave sometimes. And next guest Joes is a man by the name of Colin McLaren who is an undercover cop. And this is unbelievably fascinating.
Speaker 4: It is such an incredible story and he joins us. Now, good morning, Colin, Good Jodie.
Speaker 3: Let's go back to the start.
Speaker 4: You spent thirty seven months inside the Australian mafia across two different stings. Let's talk about the first one. What did it involve and who were you basically pursuing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we were given an open ticket to the mafia investigation in Australia by the federal government under the umbrella of the National Crime Authority. Back then we set about amassing our list of targets like everybody else in all the different states in Australia. It was a national effort and we just focused on Griffith and New South Wales in Australia's relationship with the mafia. And it was the first really big investigation we'd every undertaken this country into the mafia. And off we went, and we tried all different ways to try and guess, penetrate them in the locked them up and put them away. But each time we did, they were sort of playing chess with us and our startyism. And one day I guess there was about nine months into the investigation. They went through a couple of years and we've lucked in and in Griffith and they've got an introduction into the mafia. So I went under cover.
Speaker 2: How long does it take?
Speaker 1: How long does it take to build a relationship where basically you're in Because I feel like this is a bit of a tough boys club to crack it is.
Speaker 7: It's probably the toughest of all Andrew. The infiltration is the hardest pipe of I guess COVID investigations you'll ever do. This was a long term one. It took us two years in the end to get to the end. And you've got to really keep layering it in. You've got to keep meeting them and negotiating yourself and you can't sort of be too thought about it because you know, at the end of the day, I'm a skippy, I'm an Aussie, just like I guess you are, Andrew. We don't we're not Italian, we don't think Italian, and we don't speak Italian and all the different diale. So you can't push yourself into that crowd. We've really got to be slowly, slowly catch a monkey. And that's exactly how we played it for two years. And eventually they will come around. That's infiltration. Eventually they'll wake up one day and they'll realize that all of a sudden you're their second best friend. How did that happen? Only know this guy twelve months, but he's all ow me like a rash but good mates. And off you go and you start doing business and drug deals and talking murders and copies.
Speaker 4: And are you posed as a dodgy art dealer? How did this sting unfold?
Speaker 7: We had about six months of socializing. That's that infiltration slow process I just mentioned, and in that eventually they are going to get sick of socializing with a couple of Skippy's eid a girlfriend who was undercover. We're an undercovered female policewoman who was playing the role of my girlfriend, and we had to really start getting dirty about crime in mark your own chasing friendships. So after six months of socializing and nightclubs, et cetera, we had to really start, I guess, layering in the need for criminality. We wanted to buy drugs from them. We had clients. We told them, of course, there had clients that wanted cocaine and also cannabis, and that started to layer in. That took another six months, and then all of a sudden, we're able to buy big rocks of cocaine, like the size of footballs and pure cocaine from Columbia and talk about conspiracies. We're buying truckloads of cannabis and it just got bigger and bigger and bigger. En After two years, we all had to agree we had noodles of evidence and we had to get out of this somehow we called a bus.
Speaker 4: Colin, We're going to ask you to stick around because this is absolutely fascinating. But we need to hear about the fact that you brought down one of the biggest criminals Adelaide has ever seen.
Speaker 3: You have you to stick around.
Speaker 4: It felt like a holiday after your holiday.
Speaker 1: After every single holiday for me. Plenty to get away on the water if a but access and mobile exclusive.
Speaker 4: Deals plus select hotels are fully refundable just in case you change of plans.
Speaker 1: Booking cancelation windows apply.
Speaker 8: What if it's Ozzie for.
Speaker 6: Travel Tamba Taboo suite of Campbell Cambooboo topic Tuesday.
Speaker 4: So hey, you were talking to Colin McLaren. He was an undercover cop for thirty seven months. He brought down the Australian Mafia or some of the biggest crims. One of them is a little guy called Dominic Perry who is possibly one of South Australia's most high profile criminals.
Speaker 3: Talk us through what happened there, Colin.
Speaker 7: That was a very very important job, of course, no more important investigation with the death of Jeffrey Bowen. He was a great detective authority attached to Adelaide and I guess there's a you know, a shocking crime in Adelaide. Seven Australians now about this more than all the rest of Australia. But we decided to mount an operation against Kim and we used the same methodology I guess as we did in Griffith and across the Eastern Sea Board of Australia with the New South Wales and Victorian mafia. But he is an infiltration process. We just sort of changed the cards in the deck a little bit. Instead of being a dodgy art dealer. Came up with a scenario of operatives working together like an ensemble for operatives or willing to make comphetamines or speed in a clandestine laboratory, and we put ourselves out there and it was an extraordinary operation went for just over nine months, which was probably the most intense operation of all, even though the previous one in Griffith certainly was. This relied a lot of I guess on the bravery of the other operatives to get close to Dominic Perret and his associates in the speed lab and we were in the end successful.
Speaker 4: Dominicue of course responsible for the bombing of the NCAA building. How did you work out that he was your man?
Speaker 7: I was invited over to Adelaide to read everything, and that was among the conditions when they said we're to come over, said yea, as long as you didn't give me every file you've got, and I read it for about a week. Of the single document, I was looking for any suspect. I didn't want to be pointed to a suspect, and in the end it was obvious it was Dominic Pere. And we can say that now quite openly. I guess because he was convicted in the Supreme Court of the murder of Jeffrey Bowen and the temper murder of.
Speaker 3: First A.
Speaker 7: Peter Wallace. But there was little doubt for me when the intelligence was dissected and read and studied. It wasn't the second suspect, Jerdy. It was all over it Domic Perez. It didn't take a lot to work them out.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable and the detail as well. This podcast is just mind boggling. Colin The Sting of course on Apple and Spotify. Nine episodes in title I just want to ask you, mate, why do you do this job? And what drove you to do? I mean people talk about being stressed about their jobs and not being able to let go of their work when they get home, and that'll be hard for you knowing that each morning when you go to work potentially a false move and you could end up dead.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I guess that you could say that a lot about a lot of different jobs at community. And why did I do it? I guess it had to be done. Let's face it, the tragic death of Jeffrey Bowen, it was not ever going to be on it. Someone had to do something about it. And again I refer back to an extraordinary team of protectives different levels that we all banded together and it made a pact that we would try and solve this crime. It took twenty eight years in the end to win.
Speaker 2: I'm very very.
Speaker 7: Proud of it.
Speaker 1: It's an unbelievably fascinating story. So the podcast is called The Sting. It's available Apple, Spotify or Revy get podcast. There's nine episodes. Mate. We appreciate your time this morning, and best of luck with the podcast. It's fascinating.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much for Andrew and Joddy, Well, thank you.
Speaker 3: Say that so much is humid well in battle.
Speaker 4: Television star Andrew O'Keefe says he's relieved but not surprised charges of assaulting a let's just say an adult worker were dropped. The fifty one year old made the comments outside Caught after he faced a hearing for.
Speaker 3: Separate domestic violence charges.
Speaker 4: In that hearing, they showed a video hazy of him allegedly assaulting a woman, and you can hear the cops say to the lady, what are those marks on your arm?
Speaker 3: Did he do that? And she said, yes, he did.
Speaker 4: So anyway, there are a number of charges that were dropped yesterday. But I've met Andrew o'keef on a number of occasions and he was always perfectly lovely. But then the other side of him is this audio from him being piled into the back of a paddywagon last year.
Speaker 5: Were not.
Speaker 1: So obviously battling demons. There's a lot happening. So yeah, so I still have watched this space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very frightening that someone can flip like that, though.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: Let's talk Grammys twenty twenty three Grammys Beyonce. She was late because she got caught in traffic outside the Crypto dot Com arena and so she arrived just in time to accept her record shattering thirty second trophy.
Speaker 3: Thirty two trophies.
Speaker 1: It's not bad when if you get one, it's a big deal, yeah, but thirty two.
Speaker 3: You're starting to get bored. Imagine that room at.
Speaker 1: Her house and does she have a designated room And she's like, oh my gosh, I'm going to put this one.
Speaker 3: This is my awards room. Everyone, Oh, Beyonce, we've been in there. Shut up, we don't need to see it again.
Speaker 4: So she became the most awarded musician in the Grammy sixty four year history.
Speaker 3: This is her on stage.
Speaker 5: I like to thank my uncle to Tomi, who's not here, but he's here in spirit. I'd like to thank the queer community for your love and for inventing the genre.
Speaker 7: God bless you.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to the Grammy.
Speaker 1: Yes, Queen Bay. And what about jay Z's hair at the minute, isn't it doing a bit? What's it doing doing everything?
Speaker 3: What's it doing more.
Speaker 1: Than your sick what I've taken off? But anyway, it's a different story. No, he's grown it out. It was quite wild.
Speaker 4: In other Gods from the Grammy's Tea Swizzle or Taylor Swift was seen giving Harry's styles a big hugging, hanging out with him a little bit. They used to date and she allegedly wrote this song.
Speaker 3: About him.
Speaker 2: Sidetrack.
Speaker 1: How good was Harry's jumpsuit? And we were having conversations just on how exactly Harry would take himself to the toilet. He'd have to sort of take the top down and get himself out.
Speaker 4: Can I speak as a woman who's worn a lot of jumpsuits in her time, never wear it to an event because you have to go into the toilet and just basically fully strip of naked just so you can do a little weed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, And you just got to ask yourself, particularly for your Harry Styles, is it worth it?
Speaker 3: It was very colorful, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: And notable mentioned to Ben Affleck, who looked absolutely bloody miserable the whole entire night, to the point where his wife, who has obviously dragged him along to a work function, has had to slap him and go snap.
Speaker 1: Out of it.
Speaker 4: We've all been there when your partner's been in a mood and you're out in public, and we.
Speaker 1: But imagining that high up that going to the Grammys is a massive boredom, like an inconvenience, Like, I mean, what on earth gets Ben Affleck excited these days? If you can't even raise a smile of the Grammy, probably.
Speaker 3: Because he can't ever drink the whole time. Maybe is that it can't he drink.
Speaker 4: I don't think you can drink it those awards nights, because I know want people getting up on stage like Will Smith styles slapping someone. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just sort of feel like they somehow make themselves or they get themselves into an area where they can keep themselves in a bright and happy place, if you know what I mean, particularly the musicians. Yeah, they seem to somehow work way around it.
Speaker 4: I'm going to play a bit of leaked Math's audio in a moment. We're gonna speak to Harrison this morning, I reckon. I'm going to call him out on his old guest lasting behavior on the show.
Speaker 1: Are you're search of a blood? I'm going to play good then.
Speaker 3: If you do that, Oh of course you will, because you're a boy.
Speaker 4: We've got our hands on this leaked audio from his wife Bronti talking about his activities outside of the show.
Speaker 3: All prior to the show, have a listener.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I'm actually triggered.
Speaker 9: Twenty one.
Speaker 7: That's nine years younger.
Speaker 1: Than me, eight years.
Speaker 3: I can't do math.
Speaker 6: Well, you know what, if he is my match, I'm going to play that to my advantage. Oh my god, I will literally like play this up like crazy, like I reckon. I would actually confront him when we're in private, just like by the way, like I actually know why you're here, like if you're wanting to just like I guess play this on that it's fine and we can just be friends for the cameras. We can obviously put on a show, because if I do get this guy like, I'm not going to be able to like him because I know.
Speaker 5: What we like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Harrison's got the bad rep. But when Brontie says the phrases, oh my god, and literally and I'm triggered.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Andrew, I'm so literally triggered right now that I can't even get my words around the word trigger.
Speaker 1: But you tell me you built a time machine. It's on this Tuesday, seventh of fair time for a little trip. Specifically, let's go down memory lane to this day and start in nineteen sixty four. The Beatles rather than their first visit to the US, where three thousand fans greet them at the Kennedy Airport in New York and what can only be described as beetle.
Speaker 3: Mania away going down.
Speaker 1: Fabulo nice getting that sort of reception when you get back, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Yeah not for me.
Speaker 3: No, Let you get a cab, hey, Gara, and you're going to be from the airport.
Speaker 1: Nah, nope, got stuff on, got the kids. Nineteen seventy eight, Ashton Kutcher is born.
Speaker 2: Today's his forty fifth birthday.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 2: You don't care who you are.
Speaker 1: If you've landed Milliconis, you've done exceptionally well.
Speaker 8: There's not a romantic connection there, you're just friends. Then the switch flips and suddenly you're married and having lay together.
Speaker 3: Well millicuronas after Demi Moore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's been he's done well.
Speaker 1: He's got some good form, a good bashion cha, that's for sure. Nineteen eighty six, Lindy Chamblin was free from jail in Darwin.
Speaker 6: It wasn't time to go and tell people.
Speaker 5: I just yelled out.
Speaker 1: Has anyone got a torch? It didn't go's got my baby?
Speaker 2: The Dingo's or a reputation.
Speaker 1: Never never again, No never did. Nineteen ninety three, Sharquille and Neil slammed up the basketball so hard that he broke the support that held up the backboard and delayed the game between the Magic and the Sun's about thirty five minutes.
Speaker 3: Shack's a units.
Speaker 1: Shack is a unit, and they had to I think that from that moment on, they basically had to redesign the basketball, hoops and never thing to make sure that Shack wasn't absolutely destroying.
Speaker 3: He's ruined it for everyone.
Speaker 1: Shack, Stop hanging on the ring.
Speaker 2: Shack.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Big Oak.
Speaker 1: Tom Cruise filed for divorce from the Coole Kidman. And let's never forget this interview with Pete Overton talk it's a parenting lad. You know, even talk professionally about each other.
Speaker 7: One week.
Speaker 1: Wait, listen, here's the thing, Peter, you're stepping over a line, now you know you are. I suppose they're questions theater people wanted, not Peter, you wanted and responsibility for what you want to know. I'm just telling you right now, put your manners back, then, put your manners back in.
Speaker 3: Put your manners back in.
Speaker 1: Peter two thousand and nine the ron because single Untouched Peek at number seventeen on the US Billboard Team At Chart. And then I'm One song in Australia in twenty ten on the seventh of February. Do you know what I just I'm a little bit a shamed to admit that I really like this song. It's just really really catchy. TikTok by Kesha.
Speaker 3: Dick dar Gun the glass gun, let bone those speakers up.
Speaker 1: I don't remember her saying glock this song that here we are.
Speaker 2: Here's the original version.
Speaker 8: Does or alive?
Speaker 1: A little game we like to play where we celebrate both life and death. Good morning, producers are Good morning guys. How are is that going?
Speaker 2: Very well? Take us through this.
Speaker 9: Good so dead alike, as we know, one of the staples of the show these days. I'll list you a few celebrities. You've got to tell me if they're dead or alive?
Speaker 3: Can I question not? Just having a look at Madonna at the Grammar's yesterday, is she dead or alive?
Speaker 2: We'll find out?
Speaker 3: Brutal looks a bit vamps.
Speaker 1: Brutal al right.
Speaker 9: First up, Neil Diamond Diamonds and American singer songwriter He has sold more than one hundred and thirty million records worldwide, making him one of the best selling musicians of all time.
Speaker 3: Sweek, he's still with us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's still with us.
Speaker 1: Saves in the news not long ago, because I don't think he's he's not singing anymore. There's a tribute show, but he's still very much alive.
Speaker 9: Well, you're both correct.
Speaker 5: One not second up.
Speaker 9: Stephen Hillenburg Stephen McDonnell Hillenberg an American animator, writer, producer, director, and marine science educator. He is known for creating Nickelodeon animated the series SpongeBob Square. He was born in August nineteen sixty one. Dead or alive?
Speaker 3: Let me do this person.
Speaker 2: My brain automatical, birds, eye, fish fingers.
Speaker 4: Not all right, Jody, I am going to say that he's did because you have to spice it up with dead people every now, and they're night trick.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do we think, Stephen hill he's played for freemantles killen Berg can't recall. I'm gonna say he's dead.
Speaker 9: You're both correct.
Speaker 3: Stop copying me.
Speaker 9: I thought that one would throw you died twenty eighteen. Als, that's n fortunate. Last one Johnny Cash John R. Cash an American country singer songwriter. Much of Cash's music contains themes of sorrow, moral tribulation, redemption, especially in the later stages of his career, part rockabilly rebel, part campfire storyteller, part outlaw in Black. His Heidi baritone has remained the essence of country music. Born feb Nineteen thirty two, Dead or alive.
Speaker 8: Hurt myself today? Yes to burn Fire?
Speaker 3: Thanks General, I feel after I've had a real good Curry Jones kick us off General Life, Hash oh say, he's still alive.
Speaker 1: Hazy Hazy for the wind unfortunately, and Johnny Cash is no longer with us.
Speaker 8: I'm stuck and also bruise and he's dragon old.
Speaker 1: Hazy Windesday just a lasted one.
Speaker 8: Thanks Joe.
Speaker 9: He died in two thousand and three. I'm lucky, Joe, it's twenty years ago, So congrats, Hazy. Joe's coffee on you.
Speaker 3: I fell into a burning ring of fire.
Speaker 8: You're down, down, down, the ring of fire, the ring of fire.
Speaker 1: That's just about it for us. Tomorrow, Worst Job Wednesday returns and get ahead North, get my hands dirty, And of course Harry Styles tickets the next opportunity to win some tomorrow, but keep it locked throughout the day with Madio. She will hopefully put you on the standby list. Goodbye, Joesy Bye Okay, Adelaides, Jody and Hazy