Speaker 1: Going back to Mills and Boone, the romance genre has always been there in the background, but maybe it was more of a taboo, like, oh, I don't want people to see my fabio book cover on the train, put it inside my economics text and Daily Reader on m kindle. So really I can see.
Speaker 2: From The Australian, this is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey, a literary universe allegion of fans and a steamy TV adaptation streamed by millions. Off Campus is the romance phenomenon sweeping the globe and making consent very sexy. Indeed, the Amazon Prime video series has been adapted from the best selling books by Canadian author L. Kennedy. Season one follows the budding romance between Hannah, a bookish but beautiful music student at the fictional Brier University, and Garrett, the school's ripped but tortured ice hockey jock. Today we meet the self described book girlies who've taken romance from embarrassing to enormous. Chloe Barr is The Australian's off platform editor and she is also a super fan as am I now of the biggest show in the world. Amazon's off Campus, Chloe, Why has this show taken off like nothing in history.
Speaker 1: I really think they're just giving the people what they want. We know that there was a massive fan base for this series which came out. The first book came out in twenty fifteen. I'd read it a couple of years ago, and I think romance is back, yearning is back, and we're not seeing enough of it. I don't think thinking back to the era of all classic rom coms like Nodding Hill and Ten Things I Hate About You just not really being made in the same volume because they're not big box office hits like Oppenheimer. I think for me, it comes down to the happily ever after or the ha that people call it in book communities. That's what I'm looking for is a strong female protagonist having her story be told and it all works out for her in the end, no matter the trials that she goes through. Oh, Garant hates my singing, but it's okay. Guess he loves me. Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Love you, I Love you two.
Speaker 1: For me, we work in like the real hardcore stuff. Every day we're reading and writing about actual wars and actual murders and murder mysteries that this is why I love to read things with a happy ending. At the end of the day, when I go home, I don't need to read about fictional murders of.
Speaker 2: The same I go home and retreat to Jane Austen Absolutely so.
Speaker 1: I think it's a reprieve from fiction and real life of all dark themes.
Speaker 2: Off Campus is a romantic comedy, but it's got some very serious undertones to it, and maybe that's part of the appeal as well. I'm sitting there watching myself from across the room, do what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Nothing? Nothing is wrong with you? What if they What if I'm broken?
Speaker 2: You're not broken? Well, you just don't trust me enough to fully. I certainly found it really intriguing for this generation who has also grown up with the idea of positive consent to sexual encounters, to unpacking their own trauma, to being articulate about what they want in sexual relationships. It manages to canvass all of that without being preachy and kind of weird, doesn't it totally?
Speaker 1: It's probably still an idealized version of real life, but it doesn't shy away from those kinds of themes, which makes more appealing to the masses, and I think people probably have a conception of BookTalk and what that entails, which these books absolutely would be categorized by BookTalk. Just because something has that happily ever after doesn't mean it can't go there. It's just all wrapped up nicely in the end and everyone gets to win and have a good time.
Speaker 2: I was intrigued in the final episode, and of course season two has already been commissioned. That was a no brainer, I think, wasn't it that we get a very firm sense of resolution that all the great romantic comedies have, but of course their trauma still exists and there's still the same people who they were before. Do you think to have some credibility in having raised those very serious plot points they will have to continue through forthcoming seasons or can they just be resolved?
Speaker 1: Well? I think how this series is sort of laid out in the books and how it looks like they're going to lay it out in the show is quite common of romantic fiction series. Is that we see now, which is that it's sort of a couple per book, two people per book, but because they're all part of the same world and maybe it's the same family or the same hockey team. Those characters are recurring the whole way out. So in the same way that they were sort of sewing the seeds for Dean and Allie in season two, who are actually book three, we will still get to see Hannah and Garrett throughout all the rest of them. They're still there, They're still living in the same house together. So I think it's knowing that it's not the end of their story. And in the broader world of the el Kennedy universe, she's actually gone down generations now. So there's the off campus series, then there's a second series called Briy You that's all set on the same timeline. But now She's released and I'm not up to these yet, a whole next generation. So like Hannah and Garrett's children are having their love stories.
Speaker 2: Wow, So I think it's a very stay together and get married and have kids. Yep, I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I need to show you with chart.
Speaker 2: Oh, I want to see it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of books in this universe, so I think it's probably I mean, for the book Girlies, it's knowing that their story absolutely doesn't end. There's like heaps more where that came.
Speaker 2: From this group of women. Book girlies are so powerful now and they're probably the most powerful cultural force in the world in terms of consumers. But you guys have created this. It wasn't publishing who created it for you. Why not? Why do you think publishing didn't see this coming, that your generation would want this. They thought you wanted dragons. Maybe you also do want dragons, and they maybe also thought you wanted a bit more fifty shades of gray, but as kind of you don't want that. You want reassurance, comfort, nostalgia.
Speaker 1: Going back to Mills and Boone, the romance genre has always been there in the background, but maybe it was more of a taboo, like, oh, I don't want people to see my fabio book cover on the train.
Speaker 2: But put it inside my economics text.
Speaker 1: Totally read it on my kindle, so really I can see. But I think through TikTok and BookTalk it's just boomed and people aren't afraid to talk about it.
Speaker 3: So you've just finished watching Off Campus and now you want to read the books. Welcome to the writing of l Kennedy. She's one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Now, this was my first hockey romance series that has a very special place in my heart. However, I was You're going to eat it up.
Speaker 2: You're gonna cry, probably, but you're gonna eat it up.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I wish I could reread them for the first time. And I'm so excited to have you guys a part of this community.
Speaker 2: It is such a good fun time.
Speaker 1: There is cracking it. You can't put it down. I don't even know. But is it a good book. I'm personal opinion gonna say no. I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: And that's all she wrote for now.
Speaker 1: Again, as I said, for me, it's the fact that there is that happily ever after. It's that strong female protagonist where they get to own the story. It's the FMC or the female main character written by a woman with a romantic subplot in some instance. Sometimes sometimes it's more pronounced than others, but also men written by women, and they get to go through all their trials and then it ends happily, or it goes on for eight books in a multiverse, which is sometimes also the case. But it's something to propel you forward and keep you going. And I've always been into reading Harry Potter is really what got me the first time. And then probably through early adulthood. I was sort of in the realm of historical fiction, sort of modern litfic, and then when I found Romance, I started reading more than ever. Like, once you pick it up, it's like, I actually want to reach for this because I'm having such a fun time reading it. It's not like, oh, I better put my phone down and read my book. It's actually I'm choosing that instead of my phone because it's so immersive, especially when you go into something like fantasy.
Speaker 3: So what I help you study and you play my fake boyfriends.
Speaker 2: You got Justin's attention deal.
Speaker 1: Because I read so many books, I do quite a bit of library borrowing as well. We're talking. I mean I think last year I read about sixty books. So if I was buying all sixty every year and all of them hard copy, yeah, and also a bigger house. So it's a mix of that. And I have a Cobo. Everyone knows about kindles, but I actually got the Cobo first, which is a different company not owned by Amazon. I think it's Canadian. And the benefit of a Cobo is that it connects to overdrive software, which is what libraries all over the world use to lend e Publications, which means that you can read library books on your Cobo, which is awesome, and me and my friends in my book club will go on day trips around Sydney to different libraries because you can join unlimited libraries in your state. So I think I've got about twelve from southern Sydney to Paramatta to the northern reaches. Because the more library cards you have, the more library books you have access to, and then you borrow books on this app called Libby and then you just log into that particular library on your Cobo and you can read all these books for free.
Speaker 2: The other side of what the book girlies are doing is also writing fan fiction that they're publishing themselves. That is where you can be reading on your device, almost like a pay per view kind of deal. That's a really interesting development, isn't it too?
Speaker 1: Totally. I know people that have been reading and writing fan fiction for years and years and years, dating back to One Direction fan fiction back in the day, back in their heyday. But I think Kindle Unlimited and people self publishing through Kindle has really changed the game because you don't have to wait to be picked up by a publisher. You can just have at it, and then that's how people are sometimes now in many cases they're actually getting the book dealers because thousands of people are reading their books and loving them and rating them on Goodreads.
Speaker 2: You also don't need to be kind of a great social media creator too, because that's what BookTalk needs you to be. You need to be able to talk on camera right and probably look nice as well. That's not necessarily compatible with being a great.
Speaker 1: Right, and I think all it takes sometimes is one of the sort of bookish creators, whether it's on BookTalk or bookstrogram, to pick it up and be like, this is your next best read. If you like books of this genre, whether it's sport romance or small town romance or fantasy romance, this is your next best read. It's on Kindle unlimited, and just something as small as that. It doesn't even need to be your video that goes viral. It's these other bookish creators that can just send it off for you.
Speaker 2: Something that I think probably everybody who loves books worries about is ai. We all worried about the death of the bookshop, and I think that the jury is still out on where the bookshops can really can survive. Printed books certainly have survived so far, and especially in children's literature. What do you think about the prospect that AI could replace the kind of work that we see women doing in all of these forums now, book talk, writing themselves, fan fiction. Do you worry about that or do you feel like this is so human and so warm that a computer can never do this.
Speaker 1: I don't think it can, and I think there's been a few instances. Again, because kinderl unlimited, people can just upload whatever. To an extent, there has been a few instances of AI things coming through, but people can detect it easily, and you know, there's conceptions that again, as I said before, these books aren't highbrow or particularly well written, just because they're of this genre that people deem not intellectual enough. But to be able to replicate the success of some of these authors like their success is because of the especially in the fantasy world, the epic fantasy world building, timelines, multi versus factions. I don't think AI will ever be able to stand up to what some of these authors have managed to do. It's that deep, immersive world building that makes you feel like you are somewhere else that I think is what people are really drawn to. That's what I'm drawn to. You feel like you're part of it. When you're on your way to and from work, it's all you can think about me. You're like, what's happening next in this book or I've just finished this cliffhanger, and that the kind of space I want to be in when I'm not at work. It is such a good place to be.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Chloe.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Chloe Barr is The Australian's off platform editor. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey, produced by Kristin Amiot, and edited by Lee and Sammaglu. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Tiffany Dimack, Joshua Burton and Jasper Leak, who also wrote art theme