Speaker 1: I'll get a team. It's Craig Anthony Harper. It's the nineteenth of the first, twenty twenty six. It's a Monday. It's the year as well. The new year is well underway. I'm very excited. Some things are happening. The wheels are turning. People are getting excited. Some people will have fallen off the wagon. Some people are still on the fucking wagon. Did you set any specific goals? Cook? Welcome Tiffany and Cook. Did you set any goals that just happened to line up with the new year?
Speaker 2: Or not?
Speaker 1: Really? Not really?
Speaker 2: Not really. I have a feel I feel like this year is going to be very different for me, just because I did the course last year and I know that it will be different. But I didn't set new goals. I kind of went, I wonder how this will unfold, And when I'm ready to switch back on for the year, I'll explore that.
Speaker 1: What percentage of people do you reckon? Are really good with structure and process and timeline and goals and to do list? And I feel like, like I say that shit all the time. Turn your idea into a plan, right, because an idea great, but it's not a plan. There's no structure, process, accountability, blah blah blah blah blah, and all of that makes sense. However, you know, SODA's not eating shit, but that doesn't work well for the population. SODA's not getting pissed a lot well for quite a percentage, that doesn't work, you know, not being a fuck with well, A few people struggle with that, including me. I feel like sometimes, you know, despite the alleged logic and strategy and critical thinking that comes out of my mouth, I say alleged, it almost doesn't matter. Like the quality of the advice, if we can call it that, or ideas or stories or messages or research or data that we share on this show is probably five percent ninety five percent is do people understand it? Do they will they do something with it? Will they keep doing something with it? Yeah, which makes me feel a little redundant sometimes, But you know you're going to keep You're going to keep like shout from the rooftops and just hope someone like I think, imagine this like I've literally saved a person's life, which is like, and I don't say that in a brag ghostly way, that's just part of my gene.
Speaker 2: Probably could you probably weren't saying that in braggy, boasty way.
Speaker 1: I would. Yeah, I don't mean that, but it's like, honestly, I've done a lot of cool shit. It's probably in the top two, maybe the top thing I've ever done, you know, my top two things in terms of just what I am very proud of. Not in a boasty way, but you know, saving the crabs life and working with Johnny for eight years, three days a week, blah blah blah. Who's who they said would never do anything. Right now, he's a fucking relative to what he was diagnosed or what they proposed he might be. He's a fucking weapon. But you know, so, I think if I have a podcast and I don't know how many times, but one person, it saves their life. Maybe not I save their life, but the story, the idea or the hope or the inspiration or the shift that happens in them. And then they go and do something, and then they get a result, then they get a bit excited, then they make another decision, they do more stuff, and then two years down the track they not me, not you, not asking, they have turned their life around. But it started with a moment in time and the moment in time was this show. And I've had you know, many people say to me, you or your show changed my life, and I always say, I didn't change your life. You did, but thank you that you took action on something. You know. So I guess my long winded question is is there any point in creating a plan, creating a structure, timeline, process, or that if the person's not genuinely three hundred ready to go.
Speaker 2: You remind me of the very first time you had me on typ SO twenty twenty sometime, and at the end of the conversation you said, if all goes well on Planet tifth in five years, what's next? And I hesitated, and then I remember saying, oh, you don't have to have something, and I was like, nah, I'm not going to because five minutes ago, I think sometimes a plan puts on blinkers because we're not sure, we're not curious about what we want to do, so we picked something, and then cognitive bias leads us down that path we miss everything else. Five minutes before that conversation, I was never going to be a podcaster. I owned gyms. I'm never going to be doing what I did, and it led me to this thing that I never knew I could do that opened up doors I never knew were closed. And so I think there's there's that part of things. But then there's also the idea that if you're not sure where you're going, you're going to go around in circles. So there's a bit of a catch twenty two on both ends, and it all comes down to what you research around self awareness.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, one hundred percent. Also there's another interesting kind of parallel component to this. I don't know if this is a real term, but I coined this term maybe someone else did too, and it's a destination disappointment, which is when you get somewhere, Oh, you did the thing, you got, the thing, you achieved, the thing you made, the money, you wrote the book, or you fucking climbed the mountain, or you had the boxing experience or you whatever, and then you're like, oh, I still feel like shit, what's that about? Because you thought that thing would be the antidote to the malaise, the blidness that you found yourself in the middle of. And I mean I've had that, I've achieved great things and then you know relative but then not that it was bad, but I'm like, oh okay, Like, for example, I'm not fat anymore, I'm lean, I'm in very good shape, and but I still feel shit. So clearly that wasn't maybe that was part of the problem, But what else is going on? So I think trying to understand what it is I really need versus what I think I need?
Speaker 2: And then what did I get out of that thing? What was the thing that was drawing me in?
Speaker 1: Do you have it?
Speaker 2: Has that happened to you when you've gained an understanding straight away? Or how does your unpacking of that play out?
Speaker 1: Well, I've kind I've kind of gone down I was going to say all the past. Of course I haven't, but I've gone down there. If I look awesome, if I'm jacked, well that's going to make life pretty amazing, because you know, dudes will think I'm cool, women all think I'm just hot as fuck, and well, you know whatever. And clearly that thinking was coming out of you know, fucking one delusion two you know, insecurity, self doubt, fear, all of that stuff. But I just had I didn't think it would fix all my problems, but I thought it would do much more for my emotional and psychological wellbeing than it actually did, because I was, as I've said at least twenty times over the last eight years, but I was trying to resolve a psychological, emotional, and perhaps in my framework, spiritual problems with physical solutions. You know, it's like, oh, Wow, you've got really big arms and they're vany, and you've got big shoulders and you've got abs terrific. You're still a fucking idiot, but you're just in a better body and you're not dealing with the things that are making what's not making you healthy. Craig mentally and emotionally healthy is not the size of your fucking arms, you know. And it's trying to This is hard. This is trying to have real self awareness, no matter how painful it might be, at that moment of kind of enlightenment or awareness where you realize, oh, I'm just a big fucking baby who's scared of everything, you.
Speaker 2: Know, And what's the sacrifice of the thing that you're doing. When you think you're doing a thing that you need to do, what's the sacrifice of the life you need to live and the busyness you live in the middle of to maintain that perceived destination.
Speaker 1: Oh that is a very all haven't you gotten good since twenty twenty fucking drunk? All right, hey, kids, don't if there's any kids listening, don't talk like Uncle Jumbo is a hunt. Don't listen to him. Just as it's coming out in my mouth, I'm like, some first time, is it going to be like, oh my god, who is this man? I concur I agree? Okay, so yeah, what are you kind of giving up in the pursuit of this thing that you think you need but you actually don't need. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Like when you're heading well, I think you're just you're just wasting time. It's not that being in shape is bad per my previous example, but when you're trying to you know, let's say the engine in your car's fucked and you keep pumping up the tires. You like that, Well, that well done on the tire pumping. You fuck with it, but the engine's fucked, so maybe open the bonnet. No, I'll just try the tires one more time. There no chance the engines fucked. It's not. Well, I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll polish the bumper bar. You know, you keep because you kind of I think you know, but you know that fixing the engine, Oh my god, that's so big, that's such a task, that's sut so hard. I don't really have those skills. I don't really have that understanding and the idea that I've got to go lift the bonnet and figure this shit out, and there's I can't have anyone really do it for me in this metaphor anyway, you know. So I think you when you take the easy way not the hard way, you're depriving yourself of the opportunity to you know. Craig Harper speak, grow, learn, evolve, adapt, improve, gain, awareness, insight, understanding all those things. And so I think there's strategic card. I'm going to do this thing that I don't want to do, and it's hard, and it's difficult and unfamiliar, and there is no instant gratification, there is no immediate payoff. But what will probably happen and hopefully happen over the next year, not the next three minutes, but over the next year. I might build resilience, build awareness, build competence, develop skill, be able to be the calm and the chaos, talk to five hundred people from a stage without doing a little bit of wei every third fucking word, you know whatever, is all of that kind of yeah, because and I think there's like I think there's a bit of a an over correction. Like so we've got the we've got the you know, like the molly coddling version of the world where you know everyone, we're nerfing everyone and oh it doesn't matter, it's not your fault and it's okay and fuck those people and you're right, and there's that right, which that's not great. But then at the other end of the scale, we've got the alpha males. And I guess in some ways I'm a little bit of an alpha. But I'm also like, yeah, give me a hug, though, And I cried three times yesterday, and there's some stuff that scares me and I don't know, so I think that that chest beating, you know, like just say what you say, do what you you know, and fuck him. I'm going to live And if people don't like, you know, it's my way on the highway and all that stuff. It's like, yeah, cool, if you live on an island by yourself, that's fabulous, you know, but you don't you live around other humans who don't share your ideas and your experience, you know, So yeah, I think that, and I'll shut up after this. You know what I was thinking about the other day, I was actually thinking about not even being funny Scott and you and me. One of the things that you and me and Scott say is I'm a lot, right, And I was thinking about, and I'm not throwing any of us under the bus, but we're almost saying I'm a lot. So you'll just have to cope with me because I'm a lot. This is how I am. I'm full on, I'm a lot. If I rub people up the wrong way, that's their issue, not my issue, because I'm a lot. I'm a lot, hey, you know. And if you can't cope with my lot a lotness, I'm definitely not the problem. I don't have to change you do, so you work around my fucking a lotness. I'm like, yeah, I've even said I'm a lot, and I kind of you know, you've said it, Scott said it, We've said it together. We're all peas in a pod that way, and I'm like, yeah, that's kind of selfish though, that's kind of me going, yeah, I don't need to work. You need to work because this is just how I am. So I'm just going to be how I am, which is a lot, and you'll just need to figure it out, Champ. You know. So I was thinking about that the other day, which is a kind of a funny way of explaining a high level of self awareness and empathy. Is like, I really think, not in a good way all the time. I'm a lot, and I need to I need to, you know, modify my behavior and have awareness of how I act and react and respond around people without overcorrecting and without being disingenuous. I still need to be me. But how do I be me with more empathy and more awareness and more social intelligence? You know? So that's where my book going to, both for.
Speaker 2: The other person and for you. So what do I need? What is best for me to accept, what is healthiest for me to accept about me? And what is healthiest for me to change? And how do I manage that when I am me? And who are the people that I'm going to make those decisions about. There's so there's so many levels there.
Speaker 1: Well, again this comes back to metabception, metaaccuracy, you know, theory of mind all that shit that I'll bored you with for six years. You know, people being in the moments and recognizing that I'm annoying this person and rather than going, well, fuck them, that's not my problem because I'm right, Rather than that going all right, Well, how can I change my behavior or my approach, or my strategy or my conversation or my communication style in real time so that I improve the connection or I at least create a connection not a disconnection, so I build trust, report or respect. Rather than going, well, if he's not picking up what I'm putting down, fuck him, he's the problem. You know. It's like, nah, dude, that's just you being ignorant and arrogant and unaware. And you know, there'll be people where I sit down with for an hour and I will do half the talking. If I'm being honest, there's probably times, not very often lately, but where I do sixty or seventy percent. Not very often though, thankfully, but there was a time. But I would think most of the time like I had a coffee with a guy shout out to Chris Welsh Welshie that I did my first degree with, and I have not seen him since two thousand and two. Right, So twenty four years I saw him today. I spent an hour with him. I could tell you a lot about him, and very thankfully we didn't talk about me at all. We didn't talk about my work, what I'm doing. Am I married? Am I not married? Where do I nothing? Because he's married, He's done multiple jobs since he left Junie. He's got you know, three kids, two girls and a boy. You know, I could tell you other things which would not be fair on him because it's private. But I loved it, and I loved just it being all about him. One because I was genuinely interested. I want to hear what because he was funny as fuck at UNI. But like, think about this, When I started Junior, I was thirty six first time around. He was eighteen. He was a boy. I was a man. I theoretically could have been his dad. You know. So I was at UNI thirty six to thirty nine the first time around, and most of them were eighteen to twenty one, and they used to look at me like fucking granddad. And I was thirty six, and I go, do you remember how fucking old I was at UNI? And he's like, dudes, you were like granddad, I'm like, yeah, and now you're forty four, motherfucker. You know, it's like, oh yeah, it's like when you're forty four thirty six as a baby, when you're my age thirty six as a fuck? Can you walk yet? You know? But when you're like it's all context dependant. But I don't know how I got there, but yeah, I think being able to understand how you're experienced by others, which is why I've been fascinated with this topic, and using that to your advantage and their advantage, is a real sign of social intelligence. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I also think I think very deeply about how we understand just our own reasons and behaviors and choices, like understanding the sacrifices we make, understanding the psychological and emotional and biological outcomes, the processes that take place when we live a certain way and do a certain thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was talking about Sorry.
Speaker 2: I was talking to someone on their show just before this about last year for me and that whole identity piece, Like last year I had to stop training and boxing the way I was because bodied in cope. But in the same year that was the start of that year or the year before the Boxer album was released. So as a trainer, I'm in the gym training a lot of people to box, my favorite sport. I do it as a pastime. I tell stories about it as a speaker because I got so much personal growth out of it, and then I had this experience that relabeled me with that and I always want to step back and experience those outcomes and lessons and that growth. But at the same time, I realized the sacrifice, the sacrifice not only to my brain with the impact of getting punched, sacrifice to my energy, but the sacrifice too, well, it's beautiful. You get all those growth and lessons. Yeah, and people say these things and you get this level of significance because I do this and I'm different because chicks don't do that. There's still that I tell that story as to why I started, but there's still a bit of that there. Yeah, But then realizing well, how yeah, it'd be amazing. I want to go do that. But then at the end of that, when you walk away from it and the dopamine dies down and you don't grow anymore, what have you sacrificed. You've sacrificed real relationships and serotonin and experiences and having the energy to go and see the world and to do a bunch of things because I've bought into an identity because it was driven by a set of things under the surface.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's insightful. I think sometimes you don't know whether the juice is worth the squeeze until later, you know. Sometimes like one of the costs of doing a PhD has been doing less business, doing less gigs, doing you know, like I've pretty much done zero or very little coaching. You know, I still help a few people with a few things. But but you go, Okay, this this PhD, I won't name the number, but this, like I know, financially, how much this PhD has essentially cost me. I'm like, okay, you know, like everything, whether or not it's a pair of shoes. Like if you went out and you know you were going to get some runners, I would think I would assume for you, runners are your if we factor in all the variables, runners are probably your favorite shoe. Right, I'm sure you wouldn't wear them to you know, a fucking ball, But and so I could if you went out, if you went out and there was an amazing pair of runners, like fucking incredible, and now one hundred and fifty bucks even by two, you know, because you go, that's not cheap. But it's cheap for these. You know, it's cheap for these. But if the same runners, like you want the runners, you know they're great, you have you know, you would like they're a good product, blah blah blah blah blah. But if there was seven hundred dollars, you're like, fucking no way, I'm not buying seven hundred. Doesn't matter, they could be fucking magic. I'm not buying seven hundred dollars runners. And the thing is that we have a like a line in the sand number or level of commitment that we're willing to invest. You know. It's like, well, Craig, if you weren't willing to give up this potential money and all of this time, and then you wouldn't have done it. And so now you know, at the precipice of submitting my PhD, I look back and I go, was that a good investment? And for me the answer is yes, But it for some people it would have been the worst investment. Like it depends how you frame it and through which lens or what metric you are establishing the value of a thing. You know, So I would rather and I've said this before, but if you said you could go to rod Laverna tonight and talk for two hours to ten thousand people for free, but you can talk to ten thousand people live and say whatever you whatever you want, like you can just go do your thing, or you can do a gig over the road to one hundred people for ten thousand dollars. I would definitely take the free option. Now most people would take option two, which I think for most people is probably the smartest option for a range of reasons. And I'm definitely not rich, but that's probably not going to transform my life that ten thousand dollars. You know, it's definitely a lot of money. I acknowledge that all that, but right now I value connecting with people, teaching, coaching, being able to interact with really big audiences. I just value that more than the money I get for it. You know, there was a time where it was all about the money, not all about the money, but it was more about the money because I had no fucking money, and I've got to pay bills and I'd really like to own a house one day, and my car's a piece of shit, and you know, I want to have money in case the wheels fall are for you know, there's all that. So it's context dependent. But I think you know, when you come to you know, physical, emotional, mental kind of investment, energetic investment, it depends on, you know, what is perceived value to you. You know. And I'll shut up after this, and that makes me think about this is random. I'll share it again, and I apologize to probably fifty percent of you who have heard this story. But you've heard the Banksy story, yes, the artist banks Yes, yes, And you've heard the story about his artwork at a market yep. So I might fuck up a few bits, but this is essentially and the story is that he gave I think it was a dude like eight pieces, eight original Bankses. And I think they did it almost as a kind of a social experiment or an exercise in perception of seed value or whatever. And so if I I had an original banks he is probably worth anywhere between two, three, four or five hundred thousand dollars, depending on how big it is, how long it took him to do what it is. But you know, I was going to say something terrible. Then I'm glad I didn't. I just rained it once in my life. I fucking rained it in. I have all of these progridges. Yeah, I look at me not saying the thing. Shouldn't say it a lot? Yeah, I'm not being a lot. Yeah, I don't need to be a lot. I can just be a bit. Maybe I'll get a T shirt with just a bit. So anyway, he had these eight original Bankses, which let's say they were worth two hundred grand each, just to pick a number. Let's say so that let's say let's out one point six million, and this dude's at the market and he's got these original Bankses, and the sign above them says, these are original Banksies, and they're all like eighty bucks each. But given the context of where they were, and given the fact that the price was eighty dollars, despite the fact that they were one hundred percent authentic, he didn't sell four of them. He sold four, I think, And the four that he sold he had to discount to get a sale, because even though people were passing by, who knew who banks he was, who loved his work, who looked at it, who could have bought a fucking two hundred thousand dollar piece of art for eighty bucks. They're like, nah, that's not real. I know it's not real and walked on. That's how powerful perception is. You know, what about this?
Speaker 2: We're thinking about money the other day and I was talking to a friend I will not name them, but were at my house playing guitar and started talking about guitarists and picks. And they have a range of all these picks from famous people and one of the picks, the plectorium what are they called plectrums. One of them was Kirkbains and fifteen years ago they had it valued at about two hundred thousand dollars. Fifteen years ago. That person, over their life has been through some pretty hard stuff and financial hardship, really hard stuff, and they will never They could sell that today and pay off their home, but the emotional value of that for them is so high, and it's so interesting. You go, it's a piece of plastic with a story that lives in their home that they will look at and attached to. But it gives them something and like, I just it fascinates me. That fascinates me.
Speaker 1: What's their home address again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, California, But the funny, well, the fascinating thing is that's if somebody you think, also, like we're talking about perceived value, what people will pay for things.
Speaker 1: Imagine if how do I say this without being a dick. I won't say the number, but what I get, you know, to speak for an hour is like ridiculous compared to what I used to get for a week of work in my twenties, do you know what I mean? And it's like I've had people say to me, and by the way, you know that there are people who make way more than me. I've had people say, how the fuck are you worth that? And like, you know, and I go, I don't blame you. So when when you're talking to somebody who makes a certain amount for a week and then you make whatever it is I want, you know, but for an hour, and then you go, oh, actually, I'm not in the upper echelon of corporate speakers, Like I'm paid pretty well, but you know, there are people men and women that earn two, three, four, five times what I do to stand on a stage for forty five minutes and talk, and once that experience is done, it's done. But even then you go, I've told this story multiple times too. But I was speaking in a conference in Sydney and I was proceeding Lance Armstrong. Have I told you this? Yeah, yeah, Now this might be bullshit, but I have it on pretty good authority because I was talking to the organizer for a range of reasons he couldn't do it. But I think I was getting paid five thousand dollars, which was for me fucking mind blowing. Like this was, you know, quite a while ago, and still I acknowledge that stupid money. But he was getting two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. He was getting quarter of a million dollars to stand on the stage. But here's the thing, right, the organizers were okay because the audience was big, they had sponsors, people were paying quite a bit to be there, and they definitely weren't losing money, you know. So it's like, well, hopefully we spend two fifty, but we get back three fifty or at the very least two fifty, so he essentially costs us nothing well plus whatever. But yeah, it's the whole psychology of value and perceived value. And it's like you and I both we won't say his name because we don't want to intimidate him. But we see the same Chinese doctor medicine doctor who's a legit doctor of Chinese medicine, also has a legit PhD and fucking biological science or something I can't remember. And to me, so he's got this intersection of wu wu mystical magical powers and this really good scientific understanding and vast experience. And when he treats me, I'm like, he does not understand for me how valuable he is because what I pay to see him is cheaper than what some people are paying a cert for trainer for. Do you know what I mean? For the same amount of time. This motherfucker's done six or seven years of Chinese medicine, it has done four or five years of a PhD. He's got vast experience, and not only that, he's fucking great at his job. And because I just don't think money matters, but I don't think it matters, matters matters to him, like I don't think it's it's high on the list.
Speaker 2: One of the stories my speaker coach Jack tells about speaking is when she first started she was speaking to build her huge business, right so to be court business. So it wasn't about getting paid, and she was doing an opening keynote. She didn't know much about speaking at the time, and one of the other speakers that, oh, you're doing the opening, opening or closing. I think it was opening opening keynote. What are they paying for that? And she kind of thought real quick and said, I don't speak, I don't share terms with other people. And then she said to the organizer, Oh, so apparently I've got the opening keynote and she said, oh, yeah, yeah, apparently that is a paid position. She why am I not getting paid? Oh, oh yeah it is. We must have just been an oversight. Is ten k okay? So that you just ask a question and go sure it is ten k?
Speaker 1: Do you go just this once? Bro?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like you think about our perception of what we're worth and you go, well, And that was like it wasn't even yeah sure ten K Is that all right?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Must have been an oversight, of course, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. And it's like, I mean, for me, who's so like basic. I see people buy a bottle of wine that's like one hundred and eighty five dollars. I'm like, fucking really I don't know. I mean, I've never had booze, so I don't know. But I'm like, geez, that's that must be Like I don't know, Like if you put a forty dollars wine in that bottle and people thought it was the one eighty five job, I wonder if they would know. And also we know you can buy a bottle of wine for ten bucks, right, But I mean, I don't know. I don't drink wine, but I think there's gotta be Oh, in fact, there was that wine study. Do you remember that study? No? Okay, I like, all right, where was it done? I'm sorry for like, come a bit because there's so much shit in my head. Hang on, I'm just jogging up to the back filing cabinet, okay, so I'll give you the hang on. I'm just flicking through wine study, Wine study, one study, wine study. Here, it is, here, it is. I'll just pull it out. So, oh, actually, can we pause the one second? I find it? All right, we're back.
Speaker 4: So there's, as I just learned, there's a few different ones. So I'm just gonna read straight from chatter said to me, Craig, You old dog didn't say that bit you're thinking of the Frederick Brochet wine tasting studies, particularly his work on expectation, belief, and sensory perception. The key study simplified. Brochea researcher at.
Speaker 1: The University of Bordeaux, ran a series of experiments in the early two thousands showing that what people believe they're drinking, what they think they're drinking believe they're drinking strongly shapes what they taste. In one well known setup, participants were given the same wine multiple times, each time being told it was a different wine. Sometimes the wine was given a different price, a different label, a different description, or it was even dyed with food coloring, so they dyed white wine red. What happened The participants described the same wine differently each time. They confidently detected different flavor notes, different quality levels, even red wine characteristics in the white wine that was dyed red. Trained tasters, so professional tasters were also in the group, so they were not immune. In one famous version, a white wine dyed red tasted used tasters used red wine descriptors tanic whatever that means, jammy spicy. No one knew, not one person knew that it was white or suspected it was white. The takeaway so the drinking or literally a white wine totally believing it's red, a red wine, which I understand are quite fucking different and totally thinking like, oh this is yeah, this is a red wine. In fact, it's quite this and it's quite that. Ah. The takeaway This wasn't about people lying or being stupid. It showed that perception is constructed, not recorded. The brain doesn't just receive sensory data. It interpreted, its interprets it through expectation, belief, and content. Okay, so the next question I asked it was did their brain chemistry reflect their belief about the wine? The answer yes, In some studies their brain activity reflected what they believed they were drinking, not just what they actually tasted. Strongest demonstration came from a neuroimaging study by kilk Plasmin and colleagues published in PNAS in two thousand and eight. The participants straying the same wine multiple times. Each time it was presented with different price labor prices, and labels all the way from cheap through to expensive, and while they were drinking, the participants were scanned using an fMRI what they noticed, what the researchers noticed was the wine was identical. The wine never changed, but their brain neurochemistry or their brain chemistry did. When people believed the wine was more expensive, activation increased in the orbitofrontal cortex. This region of the brain is tightly linked to pleasure, reward value, and subjective enjoyment. So, in other words, when they were drinking the same wine but they like the cheap wine, but they thought it was expensive, their brain literally responded. The part of the brain that kind of highlights pleasure and so on lit up. PIP. Participants also reported enjoying the wine more. In other words, belief altered the brain's reward response, not just the verbal report. How fucking interesting is that? And that's all generated by what we think that is.
Speaker 2: So powerful, Like you think about all of the things that applies to.
Speaker 1: Fascinating yeah, and you go, are we going to get you to do this thing? So it's not just about oh, yeah, that tastes okay, we get that, but we're going to do an MRI on your brain while you're drinking booze. And then you go, well, that's not psychology, that's real physiology. Responding to a thought in the way that when you think you're in danger but are not. You know, heart rate, brain, you know, respiration, blood pressure, all that shit goes through the roof not because there's a danger, but because you have an idea in your head that there is a danger when there is not. So this is I mean ergo like, how can you not be fucking fascinated by your own brain? How can you not be fascinated by your mind? How can you? And I don't mean this judg mentally, but I'm talking to myself. It's like, I'm fascinated with my what my brain can do, and not because my brain's exceptional, but it's it's mine, so it's the one I've got. So I know. There are times when I'm in a good place and I create really good experiences and it's not about where I am or who I'm with or what I'm doing. It's about I'm in a good place, like i'm And then there are times when things are pretty good, but I'm pretty shit and I'm having a shit experience despite the reality or the situation or the context being quite good, but I'm not quite good. So then again, we create our own experiences, all the while thinking that our experiences are created by external factors and stimuli, when in reality they're a spot there, they're produced by our responses to that stimuli. Thinking about our story about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that speaks so much into the relationship of different therapies like exposure therapy, talk therapy, somatic therapy. How do I interpret an environment mentally? What means into work do I need to do to change my relationship? And then what exposure do I need? And then what somatic experience do I need to bring those things closer and closer together?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to make my reality change.
Speaker 1: Yes. And instead of going maybe oh when this happens I can't cope, going oh if this, is there a way that I could cope or I could learn to could I adapt? Like when I get up and talk to a group at work of five people for two minutes. I hate it, I'm terrified, I sweat, I can't Okay. So rather than avoiding that thing that you kind of have to do as part of your job and every week, you know, being stressed and sick, and is there a way that you could self regulate, self manage, or even change what's going on in your brain and your mind about that thing? So you can get to a point where not only do you not hate it, kind of enjoy it, you know. And again, the situation or the task is not changing, but you're changing. And when you're different, the response is different. You know. It's like you and the hill. Don't wait for your hill to change, because it ain't about the hill. It's about you fucking adapting. Oh, the hill so hard, the hill so hard. And then we start doing the hill, we start training and losing fat and getting strength and getting cardiovascular fitness, and we do all this shit. Then all of a sudden, the hill's not hard at all, but the hill hasn't changed one fucking bit. Yeah, the hill's identical. You're different, motherfucker. So your reality is different, and it's not because you changed anything external. It changed your the way that you interface and interact with that hard thing that eventually becomes the easy thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh god, oh.
Speaker 1: God, come on, come on everyone, fuck let's do it. I can get on your hill.
Speaker 2: Or have a wine.
Speaker 1: Have a wine. Actually, if it's been great everybody. I feel like I may have over talked, but fuck it, I can't undo it now, mister, I don't talk mate, fucking bullshit. I Tiffany can't get a word in cook with Fatty Harps, who's a fucking cookie monster of fucking verbal freight train.
Speaker 2: That's what you are, that's what I am, all Right, the Express