Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: Welcome Late Bay, Well, thanks for joining us on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and filling in for Caleb Bond Freier leish a lot coming up tonight, including a Melbourne council move their meetings.
Speaker 1: Online to avoid ratepayers.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that a little later, plus when we look at what's making news tomorrow, Victorian Premier Dicenta Allen accused of corruption over the removal of top cops, and the Australian notes that our debt nationally is blowing out to be the worst in the developed world.
Speaker 1: We'll get to all of that shortly, but first.
Speaker 2: The Albanezi government continues its move to create a republic by stealth with confirmation today that King Charles will be removed from the new five dollar note. It means that for the first time since nineteen twenty three, no royal will feature on any Australian banknotes. The current five dollar note, which depicts the now deceased Queen Elizabeth, will be redesigned as a tribute to Indigenous people. The Reserve Bank released a statement today saying the imagery on the five dollar bank note should recognize the enduring connection that first nations people have to country as an emotional and spiritual connection as much as a physical one. So most of you would be familiar with the current five dollar note, not that it buys much these days.
Speaker 1: Will show it to you. Here's the five dollar note.
Speaker 2: There it is, and here's a proposal as to what the new five dollar note could look like. Now, this change, of course, is at the discretion of the Reserve Bank, but it must be noted both the Prime Minister Anthony Albanesi and the Treasurer Jim Chalmers have for the last couple of years been hinting very strongly that they would like to see a change. Anthony Albanesi was elected to government with a mandate to hold a second referendum on whether or not we should become a republic. He chose not to exercise that after the debacle that was the Voice referendum.
Speaker 1: He wasn't given a mandate though, to sort.
Speaker 2: Of unilaterally move us towards a republic minus any vote. Roy Morgan Research polled as recently as last October, finding the majority of Australians still supported the idea of a constitutional monarchy fifty seven percent in fact, which is very close to the number who voted.
Speaker 1: Against the Voice.
Speaker 2: Yet Anthony Albanesi looks to impose republican objectives, whether we like it or not. I would say that until Australians vote to become a republic, we of course are a constitutional monarchy. We should not only recognize that, but we should celebrate it. And it's not about whether or not you like King Charles. We've all got our views on the individuals who comprise the royal family, but they personify a system of government that is kept as safe and secure for the better part of two hundred years and that's made.
Speaker 1: Us the envy of the world.
Speaker 2: What Anthony Alberanezi is trying to do and we see it in so many areas and now with the five dollar note, is a republic by incrementalism. Not only is it uncalled for, he has no mandate for it, but ironically, Liz, it's hardly democratic.
Speaker 3: I think you're giving him way too much credit here, because we've got to be clear, this is the Reserve Bank's decisions.
Speaker 1: Oh but there was a lot of press.
Speaker 3: They console the government. The government says yes, we support this. I mean, geez, no cigar for getting that one right. Of course the government did support it, but at the end of the day, the butt stops with the Reserve Bank and this is what they've decided to do. So the question is more who's pulling the strings at the Reserve Bank that thinks, oh, well, we'd rather have something indigenous and about their connection to land and country than the monarch. But I've got to say, in recent years we have seen in this country and I think we're going to be seeing it more sooh with young and starting to vote more and more coming through the ranks, those who have been indoctrinated with this anti colonialist sentiment, and a lot more than that, the republic people pushing for Australia to become a republic have advanced in leaps and bounds.
Speaker 4: They are definitely seeing the numbers.
Speaker 3: The numbers you quoted there from the Ray Morgan Pole were actually pretty impressive for them, the fact that fifty seven which is a considerable majority, but it's not mahusive And I think in the coming years we will eventually see Australia become a republic.
Speaker 4: That's just where it's going.
Speaker 3: So you do wonder if the Reserve Bank is just a bit like let's save ourselves a bit of a headache, because there's no use putting King Charles on the note if in five or even ten years we've got to swap it out again.
Speaker 1: It just so happens.
Speaker 2: We've got a young and on the desk tonight on the Late Debates.
Speaker 1: So Freyer, what's going to happen?
Speaker 2: Is Liz right, Will the younger generation move towards republic?
Speaker 1: Was the five dollar note a good move?
Speaker 5: Controversial opinion here.
Speaker 6: I actually don't think young people will support a republic, and we're seeing that in the polling numbers. They're actually far more pro monarchy than my parents' generation were at the same age. And I think that's partly because so many of the institutions and the traditions and the history of our country have been stripped away by these anti Australian forces that you talked about, and so we want to cling on to any last vestige of history and culture.
Speaker 4: That we can.
Speaker 6: And if we've removed the monarchy from Australia, well what do we have left?
Speaker 5: Like, what do we have left where a young country?
Speaker 6: The monarchy is foundational to our national identity, our system of government, our legal system, everything if we strip that away, this is the problem with progressives. What do you replace it with? Absolutely nothing? So you lead it ends up with this flattening of life. Really, and I think we've experienced that in so many areas, the decline of religion, broken homes, the decline of meaning, and taking away the monarchy is just another one of those stripping away of the institutions that give life to our country. So I actually don't think young people will opt for a republic.
Speaker 5: I may be proven wrong.
Speaker 6: I hope i'm not, But I just think that this is an example of unelected bureaucrats. The elites at the RBA in Martin Place sitting there going hmm, how can we advance our cultural agenda?
Speaker 5: And that's all this is.
Speaker 2: I agree with you that progressives don't have an alternative. They just destroy everything without providing an alternative. The only problem is, I think they do have an alternative to a constitutional monarchy. Listen, it's President Kevin Rudd or President Malcolm Turnbull.
Speaker 1: That's what we're all afraid of.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the biggest fear with a republic. But this moved by the RBA, I mean, it's a pretty big deal. It really, As I said, it's the first time in over one hundred years that we don't have a monarch on any of our Australian banknotes. For them to do this without public consent, when indeed the majority of people still support the monarchy, I think is a betrayal of the public.
Speaker 1: They don't have the right to do it.
Speaker 3: Well, in some ways they could argue that they do were because their latest opinion poll on this very thing, because King Charles became king and there was a real boost in the interest around the monarchy, its relevancy in Australia, etc.
Speaker 4: And so on.
Speaker 3: Our helpful friends ran a poll just last year. Thirty four percent of ozsi's wanted the King on the five dollar note, forty three percent preferred a famous Australian of any description, somebody anyone, but not the King, and the rest were undecided. We make a point to that and say, well, I mean, we've just alluded to several polls throughout the course.
Speaker 4: Of this conversation.
Speaker 3: We do use them to get a gauge on popular The only.
Speaker 2: Poll that counts is a referendum. When we changed from a constitutional monarchy to a republican you're not.
Speaker 3: Going to have a referendum on who ends up on the five dollar hoes, Well, exactly, Indeed, it wouldn't be worth half a billion dollars got up for debate.
Speaker 2: We're a constitutional monarchy and until the Australian public votes otherwise, that's how it is. They shouldn't be changing our national emblems.
Speaker 3: Well it's certainly not up for debate because we didn't get one, thanks RBA. Speaking of unelected bureaucrats just doing whatever the heck they want, these nameless, phaseless people. If you needed further proof that Biden's presidency was perhaps one of the greatest cons ever foisted on the American people, look no further than a shocking revelation that we found out earlier this month thanks to the Heritage Foundation's Oversight project, which was able after a very thorough investigation to reveal that every single edict from the Biden administration during those entire four years had been signed by an autopen not by the man himself, with the exception of one, and that was his letter announcing he was no longer contesting the presidential race in twenty twenty four. Check out this tweet of the Heritage Foundation letting everyone know. They said, whoever controlled the autopen controlled the presidency. We gathered every document we could find with Biden's signature over the course of his presidency. All used the same autopen signature, except for the announcement that the former president was dropping out of the race last year. Here's the autopen signature, and they supply a few examples of that, and.
Speaker 4: Then they say, year is the signature from.
Speaker 3: The letter announcing Biden was dropping out of the race, which it looks decidedly difference. Now, of course, this revelation now begets the question who was running the Biden administration. We asked it very often ourselves, as we noted his worsening mental decline over the course of those four years, but in particular for the new Trump administration.
Speaker 4: They're saying, well, this calls into question.
Speaker 3: All those eleventh hour pardons that he decided to give on his.
Speaker 4: Way out the door. But before we get into that, his.
Speaker 3: Speaker of the House Johnson relaying to everyone a conversation that he had with the then President Biden, showing just how much this auto pen was used and the gravity of the situation, Sir.
Speaker 7: Why did you pause? Llen g exports to Europe, like, I don't understand. You know, liquefiedinacial gas is in great demand by ourn. Why would you do that because you understand we just talked about Ukraine. You understand you're fuel in Vladimir Putin's war machine because they got to get their gas from the PM, you know. And he looks at me, stunned with this, and he said I didn't. I didn't do that. And I said, miss President, you yes, you did. It was an executive order like you know, three weeks ago. And he goes, no, I didn't do that, and he's arguing with me. I said, miss President, respectfully, can I could I go out here and ask your secretary to print it out.
Speaker 1: We'll read it together.
Speaker 7: You definitely did that, and he goes, oh, you talk about natural gas. Yes, sir, he said, oh no, I did you misunderstand? He said, what I did is I signed this thing to We're going to conduct a study on the effects of energy. I said, no, you're not, sir, you paused it. I know I have the terminal, the export terminals in my state. I talked to those people this morning. This is doing massive damage to our economy, national security. It occurred to me, Barry, he was not lying to me. He genuinely did not know what he had signed. And I walked out of that meeting with fear and loathing because I thought, we're in serious trouble. Who is running the country like, I don't know who put the paper in from him, but he didn't know.
Speaker 3: We're in serious trouble. Indeed, if these allegations prove true, it means that every executive order, every pardon, every official act of the president over the last four years could be constitutionally void. But the first lot of issues the Trump administration wants to address is those pardons, because of course he pardoned a lot of people that the Trump administration would very much like to prosecute. So here's Trump addressing that a board Air Force one.
Speaker 8: So I follow up on the line and the autoped Are those executive orders those part ins from the former president? Now, Nolan, Well, I think, so let's start my decision.
Speaker 1: That'll be up to a court.
Speaker 8: But I would say that there nullin one because I'm sure Biden didn't have any idea that it would take you place. And somebody who was using an autoped to sign off and to give pardons to as an example, just one example, but the j six Unselect Committee they.
Speaker 1: Gave think of it, they gave parts with an atopen. I don't think Biden knew anything about it.
Speaker 3: He took to truth Social to make this post. The pardons that sleepy Joe Biden gave to the Unselect Committee of political thugs and many others I hereby declared void, vacant, and of no further force or effect because of the fact they were done by autopen who knew nothing about them, and the people that did may have committed a crime. Therefore, those on the Unselect Committee who destroyed and deleted all evidence obtained during their two year witch hunt of me and many other innocent people should fully understand that they are subject to investigation.
Speaker 4: At the highest level.
Speaker 3: And indeed, we have Missouri Attorney General and many others now writing into the Department of Justice saying, you guys have to do a thorough investigation. We have to get to the bottom of this because the implications are unspeakably huge. To give you an idea of how rare it is for a president to sign off on legislation and executive order a pardon anything using an auto pen. The first president to do so was Barack Obama, who was on holiday at the time in Hawaii, and in order to do so, he relied on a thirty page dossi era of information that George President George Bush's legal team had done up for him to validate the fact that, yes, he was signing it, but he wasn't signing it in person. That's how rare this is. So to find out that this was the prevalence of it during those entire four years is to say alarming, is a massive understatement.
Speaker 6: It is absolutely shocking, And I think the worst part of all of this is the way that the media in America tried to cover up this entire sham of a presidency. People were asking questions. Trump was asking questions throughout those entire four years, and the left wing media continually came out. They would post edited interviews with Biden, they would do everything they could to cover up and avoid scrutiny.
Speaker 5: But this is the thing. Biden, over his.
Speaker 6: Entire four years as president, only held nine full cabinets over four years. So there was an intentional strategy by his inner circle, his close aids that had been with him for years. They were loyal to him. There was an intentional strategy from them to avoid any scrutiny or anyone else outside of their little bubble from noticing the president's decline in mental state. Now, I just think how undemocratic is that you elect a president to represent you, and in America even more so because you directly elect Joe Biden to be the president of the United States, only to now find out that for the last four years, we actually have no idea who has been running the most powerful country in the world. And not only that, there's been a strategy to cover up the fact that the president is literally senile. So I just think this throws the entire country of the United States into complete chaos because what happens to yes, the pardons, but also every single executive order, Like where does the law stand right now? We need some legal scholars on here now to interpret this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the question is not whether or not an autopen was used, who was using the auto exactly?
Speaker 1: And I get the idea of an autopen.
Speaker 2: I suppose a president must sign hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of documents. It be difficult to do, not to mention inefficient, but when you've got problems with mental cognition and question marks over that seem to be the height of foolishness to use an auto pen when people are questioning your mental acuity, because you're going to open yourself up to charges such as Trump has made. Now, The New York Post wrote a very interesting editorial arguing that Trump should leave this alone. They said, Trump's doing so well, he's getting the country behind him, and this just reeks of Trump trying to settle personal vendettas area. I do think that's a bit unwise by the New York Post because this isn't a matter of personal vendettas, though I don't think Trump is above that. It's a matter of justice, it's a matter of accountability, and it's a matter of governance. But talk about a can of worms. This isn't just about the January sixth committee. This is about every decision Joe Biden ever signed off on. As Trump said in that grab that we watched, it will end up in court because Trump doesn't have the power himself to make all of those pardons null and void. It would have to go to the Supreme Court. Whether or not they want to take that on and open up that can of worms be a very interesting thing.
Speaker 6: But my question for that is, if it did end up in the Supreme Court, could Joe Biden actually testify that he was aware or is he too senile as he was found earlier to even be in testifying about his own cognitive ability while he was signing.
Speaker 1: These Wait, did he sign off on the US Supreme Court justices?
Speaker 4: Oh? My god, we don't know anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if they should be there.
Speaker 4: We don't know what anymore.
Speaker 6: Well, look, thankfully some countries do have their head screwed on, and one of those seems to be hungry. The Hungarian President, Victor Auburn has announced an income tax exemption for mothers of two and three children and said he would cap interest rates on housing loans at five percent. Now, this is they're heading into this national election, but I personally think there's a lot of merit in these ideas.
Speaker 5: Let's check it out.
Speaker 9: Actually, we are launching the largest tax cut in Europe and indeed the entire Western world. With this, we are opening a new chapter in the history of the Hungarian economy. We are creating the world's first family centered economy. Mothers with one child will be exempt from income tax until the age of thirty, while mothers with two or more children will never pay income tax again. Even by the modest standards, this is a global sensation. With this, we are securing the future of Hungarian families for decades to come.
Speaker 6: In early twenty twenty two, the global fertility rate fell below replacement rate. That means around the world we are not having enough children to replace ourselves. In developed countries, it's even worse. Every single developed country has a fertility rate below replacement rate except for Israel. Even India is now at a sub replacement rate fertility level. Now, the problem with this is that when you have a declining word population, the age dependency ratio shifts, so more young people have to support a whole lot more old people. A lot of countries like Australia will look to migration to fix this. Well, let's just bring in more people and we can boost our population that way. But those migrants also get old and after one or two generations they tend to have the same amount of children as the country that they're now in, so sub replacement level fertility again. One country that is taking this into their own hands is Hungry, and I think this is exactly this sort of thing we need to be looking at in Australia because the challenge for women, particularly and all families in Australia is that one it is extremely expensive to have children, but two it's not something that is valued by our society. The extent of family policy is childcare subsidies, which effectively says to women, pump out a baby, ship them off to institutional care and get that to work. That is not what a lot of women want. They want choice in how they raise their children. So I think this is something we need to be looking at. What do you guys think.
Speaker 2: Well, the Prime Minister of Hungary said, we want to leave our country to our children, not to foreigners. And as you said, if you're not going to produce your own children, then you've got to import other people. Because the welfare state is premised on the fact that you will have enough young to support the old. Hungry have tried various measures. They've offered interest free loans to families with children, housing subsidies, they offered tax exemptions to mothers with four or more children. Now it's mothers of two or three children will get all one child.
Speaker 3: Also until you're thirty If you have one child, your tax exempt.
Speaker 1: It's for the rest of your life. If it's two or three children.
Speaker 2: I should point out the Prime Minister of Hungary's got five children himself, so he's leading by example. Their birth rate's been falling since the nineteen seventies. As mark Stein says, demography is destiny. If you don't address this one way, then your country disappears. And this is probably the biggest story I think of our time, that what's happening in Europe.
Speaker 1: You're not allowed that. You've got to be very careful talking about it because it's such a fraught subject.
Speaker 2: But it is the big story because Europe will cease to be Europe if it's just full of different people. So whether it's Italy or Hungary or Austria, they need to produce their own children if they want to keep their own culture as we know it, otherwise it will become something different. Hungry have decided we want to leave our country to our children, so we'll offer incentives. I think it's a great move, but.
Speaker 3: Isn't it sad that this is being heralded as the world first, family first economy. Shouldn't every economy, especially in the Western world, which is fighting for survival. As we know it, shouldn't every economy be family first. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know. We've always known the new clear family is the building block of any functioning, certainly flourishing society. You prioritize healthy families and the state becomes less and less depended on because families meet their own needs as people look after people, and that translates to childcare, that translates to elderly care when the grandparents are too old to look after themselves and maybe require someone around the house. If you prioritize families a lot of things. Just take care of themselves as they did previous decades when the state didn't look after half of that, and we're all perfectly fine. I absolutely love this move. It should be this is so simple. Yeah, And it should also be said that this is on top of his government already announcing a doubling of income tax benefits to families, and not only that, he's capped housing low the interest rate on housing loans in Hungary at five percent. If you make life affordable, people will have children. Healthy flourishing couples one to have children. It is simply in societies like ours, where everyone's like, heck, we're renting, we can We'll.
Speaker 4: Never scrape together enough for a deposit. They're scared to have children.
Speaker 3: If they had the money, they'd be like, okay, yeah, let's go. But it's the fact that no governments have prioritized this to the extent that they ought that we see this is like, oh, this is just revolutionary. This ought to be the ABC's of government.
Speaker 2: What you've just said comports with studies that have been done in Europe as to why our birth rates so low, and the number one reason is economic pressure. People are concerned if we have children, how are we going to be able to afford them.
Speaker 1: The other three were interesting.
Speaker 2: Environmental concerns was a reason why the birth rates are so low in Europe, And of course we've been bother we don't mind if I.
Speaker 3: Don't have children about you know, relive yourselves from the gene pool.
Speaker 4: If that's how you're going to raise.
Speaker 2: Your well, I mean, people seriously believe if you have a child, you are contributing to global warming, so we're better off not having children. Evolving social norms was another one where you've got the demonization of the family unit. In favor of other models. And the final one was the intense focus on individual autonomy, that it's transformed from not about family or the future, but all about the here and now, what I.
Speaker 1: Want for my life.
Speaker 2: I don't want to make any sacrifices, so there's a bit to overcome.
Speaker 3: I love the prevalence of that third one, though, these social norms that a lot of people are like, I don't think I want my kids subjected to all the stuff that I'm currently struggling to deal with in a modern day society that we're pummeled with every single day. Because Victor Auburn, this guy is so based. If you get a chance, check him out, because this guy outwardly overtly talks about the fact that for fifteen years his government has been slammed by what he refers to as the Soros Empire, the liberal globalists, the Brussels bureaucrats. He's like, they've thrown money at us, they've thrown threads at us, they've thrown blackmail at us. But we have prevailed in keeping Hungry to Hungary, and this is how it's done. He says that quote, this is the battle for the soul of the Western world quote, and they're seeking to replace Europe's people and raise our Christian values. Would in you trade your two front teeth for a leader in Australia who talks like that.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about leadership in Australia. Because Peter Dutton announced a new well I'm not sure if he announced the new policy or not.
Speaker 1: He was a little bit sort of wishy washy on it.
Speaker 2: It sounds good if he's going to do it, but who would know. The idea is that he would hold a referendum like we need another one to change the constitution giving politicians the power to revoke Australian citizenship for criminals who have dual citizenship. Here he is on morning television sort of proposing what might be a policy.
Speaker 10: We can do as much as we can by legislation, but as they say, you can't out legislate the constitution. What we're proposing here is a discussion about whether we've got adequate laws, whether the constitution is restrictive. If you want to keep your kids safe, and we want to keep kids safe in our community, then I don't think you can put a.
Speaker 1: Price on that.
Speaker 2: Now, current laws do allow someone's citizenship to be revoked if they commit a serious crime. The problem is that in twenty twenty two the High Court rule that a minister can't revoke someone's Australian citizenship because that would be seen as punitive or as punishment, and that's a role for courts, not for politicians. Hence Peter Dutton is starting a conversation. I'm not sure why you start a conversation six weeks out from an election.
Speaker 1: You either do it or you don't.
Speaker 2: But he's started a conversation about whether or not we should change the constitution to deal with this issue. As you can imagine, Anthony Albaneze had a field day.
Speaker 11: Well, this is another thought bubble from Peter Dutton that hasn't made it to lunchtime. This morning you had Peter Dutton on one TV channel calling for a referendum, Mecaalia Cash on another TV channel ruling it out. This has not been thought through. There is not clear where this has come from. Peter Dutton wants to talk about anything but cost of living.
Speaker 2: Can I just say it's a little bit rich of Anthony Albanesi and his Treasurer Jim Chalmers to say Peter Dutton wants to talk about anything except cost of living when they spent most of last week talking about a wombat.
Speaker 1: So good on you for that.
Speaker 2: As for a thought bubble, well at least it's a thought. I'm not sure Elbaneze he's had one of those bubble or not for a long time.
Speaker 1: He went on to say Liz that Peter Dutton's trying to divide public. Well, exactly, that's the point.
Speaker 2: Of deporting people who keepit crimes. You divide them from the rest of the Australian population. And again for Anthony Albernezi, who proposed a referendum to divide Australians by race, to now accuse Peter Dutton of dividing Australians because he wants to remove criminal elements from our country is a little bit rich.
Speaker 1: I actually think it's a good idea. I'm in favor of it.
Speaker 2: I just wish Peter Dutton would nail his colors to the mast and say this is what we will do, or don't talk about it. But to start, what does it even mean to start a conversation?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I think he hit the nail on the head unwittingly in contradicting himself when he said in that crab we.
Speaker 4: Can do as much as we can using legislation. Yeah, but you haven't.
Speaker 3: You haven't look at the detainee debarcle. You guys can't even deport people who came here illegally committed crimes.
Speaker 4: Got released about.
Speaker 3: Rapists and murderers, not low level like oh they robbed a granny of her coffee money. No, no, you won't send those people back to their country of origin. I think this is a nothing burger because when we see those headlines of people committing these heinous crimes here in Australia, they're not dual citizenships anyway, They're not well citizens.
Speaker 4: We just own them like they're our citizens. They go in our jails, end of story.
Speaker 3: That's our problem, that is our circus, that is our monkeys.
Speaker 4: But these dual citizenships, who's he talking about?
Speaker 3: When we read those headlines on a weekly basis and discuss in detail this person should be sent home. We're not talking about duel citizens. So I don't even know who he's talking about in this dual citizen category that we'd spend half a billion dollars to have a referendum on. And when you talk about, oh you can only do so much with legislation. How about you exhaust that first, because right now none of the legislation around this is working for us as a nation. It desperately needs to be amended. You guys haven't even tried that on. It ought to be exhausted before you spend half a billion dollars sending us to the polls for a referendum.
Speaker 6: I have a few thoughts on that, Liz. I mean, firstly, there are ways you can do referendums that don't cost half a billion dollars. You could just add this as a question to a normal election and you could do.
Speaker 4: It that way.
Speaker 3: You'd have to have bipartisan support for that, which is never going.
Speaker 5: To guess so well, that is one way you could do it. I mean, secondly, I think it's good that.
Speaker 6: Dutton is even putting forward ways to deal with our immigration crisis.
Speaker 5: It's better than Albo.
Speaker 6: It's under their watch that we saw over one hundred hardened criminals released into the community because the High Court decided that it was unconstitutional to indefinitely hold people into tention.
Speaker 5: And in that case that you're referring, it's.
Speaker 4: Not dules but not or nothing.
Speaker 6: But that's the thing that was not a case of legislation failing. That was a case of legislation falling afoul of the Constitution because you can't indefinitely detain people. This is the problem you come up against with migration. With ministerial power. There are a lot of guard rails that the Constitution has on what ministers can actually do.
Speaker 5: I think the smartest way.
Speaker 6: I totally see the problem that Dutton is trying to solve, which is that we do have criminals in this country that are deal citizens committing crimes. Why should we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year housing them in our first world prisons when they should just frankly get sent back to where they've come from. That is a very fair point. I think the probably the more strategic way he could handle this is by amending the legislation in the Citizenship Act so that it's not the minister that deports or cancels the citizenship of these criminals, but you lower the threshold at which the High Court, which the Court could do that. So you say, for any offense which involves you know, a prison term of over one year, for example, which is significantly lower than what it currently is. The Core could decide to strip you your citizenship. We don't need a referendum for that. I do think maybe this was just a media sort of moment, but there are ways you could do this, and I think he's onto something and most Australians would support tougher action.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you, do you think people would be warm totally? I think they would be. People recognize the problems and as you pointed out this, look, you've had sorts of stuff ups from this current government with regards to people who aren't citizens.
Speaker 4: And he's capitalizing on that.
Speaker 2: Everyone's sick of that. He's capitalizing on that. I just wish you'd be strong on it. Don't make a thought bubble, make a policy.
Speaker 3: Well, the fact that it was a thought bubble was made abundantly clear when, as Elbow pointed out in that video we just showed you, Dunn's own Attorney General, Makalia Cash, was minutes later being like, yeah, no, this isn't a thing. So if this was a grab for votes, may it sound like something's awesome?
Speaker 4: Then that fell over really really quickly.
Speaker 3: It sounded like he hadn't even discussed it with the party room, mate, try it on with legislation first. You can do better by us as a nation without sending.
Speaker 4: Us off to a referendum.
Speaker 3: To another issue that we're seeing grow in greater and greater prevalence here in Australia, and that is the question of over diagnoses of children, whether it's with autism adhd add The numbers in Australia have shot through the roof in recent years, prompting experts to now say, look, are these conditions as prevalent as the money we're out putting into these, especially by the NDAs, into these issues. Are they growing more prevalent or are people simply more aware of them and taking the government for a ride in terms of becoming a cash cow. Some of the latest stat out of the ABS, which is a little bit old now but will still be absolutely hair raising. It's the first time you've heard of it. According to the ABS, there were two hundred and ninety thousand, nine hundred all these with autism back in twenty twenty two, which was a forty one point eight percent rise on the numbers from the latest ABS statistics back in just twenty and eighteen.
Speaker 4: I mean, that is mind blowing. How on Earth.
Speaker 3: Do we get an over forty percent increase in just four years time.
Speaker 4: It's unthinkable.
Speaker 3: The same goes with adhd add The numbers are hair curling and according to a really comprehensive study done by A and U just last year, Australia's autism rates are among the highest in the world. So for me personally, I look at stats like this, I look at numbers like this, I look at the concerns being expressed by these experts and I say, look whether people are taking the government for a ride? And I do find it hard to believe that that many parents would be doing so knowing that their kid isn't unwell, but just heading up the government for some cash. Where are the studies being done on why these numbers are going through the roof? In America, we have the Make Australia, Make America Healthy Again movement vowed to look into this. Is that if we win the election, we are going to look into why these rates are also rising exponentially in our populations. We just don't seem to have anyone remotely interested here.
Speaker 2: The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare have said that one in seven Australian children aged four to seventeen have experienced a mental health issue, which is quite extraordinary, and as a parent of kids, it's a difficult time to raise kids. I think the world is far more complicated now mainly because of this then when I grew up, So I can understand that kids would be having challenges, but not to the extent that we're seeing. And at the same time, you've got parenting which has undergone a transformation which is more child centered, where we try and empower the child, and with that goes the whole trying to protect them from every ill and every ailment. And so instead of teaching resilience and teaching them you know what, you can fall over, you can skin, you know you're going to be all right, we're trying to protect them from everything, and we assume it must be a pathological problem rather than just a behavioral exactly.
Speaker 6: And I think there are a lot of incentives to find a diagnosis for your child. In fact, in so many areas we've pathologized behavior, so that if my child's playing up, oh no, it can't be because they're a naughty kid. It's definitely because they've got something else.
Speaker 1: And that because of your parenting.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 6: If you're a parent, it is much easier to live with yourself if you just tell yourself that your child has some sort of disorder, rather than some sort of disorder parenting.
Speaker 2: Which makes parenting incredibly complicated because you're trying to work out, honestly, is this an issue that I need to go and seek professional help or is a behavioral issue that I've got to address with discipline and that can be a real nightmare for appearents.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including the Victorian Premier just sent to Allen in all sorts of trouble over allegations regarding the sacking of top police. And we'll look at that and more in just a moment. Okay, let's take a look what's making headlines tomorrow. Liz will start with the Canberra Times.
Speaker 3: What a rarity the Canberra Times recruitment rates wholly deficient, says minister. We're talking about the ADF tell us something.
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 3: The company in charge of turning around Australia's moribund defense recruitment rates was told by the responsible Minister, its performance was quote not satisfactory end quote, and targeted recruitment rates were wholly deficient. Less than a year from taking on the one point four billion dollar contract, The Camera Times has obtained correspondence between Defense Personnel Minister Matt Keoh and Swiss recruitment giant a Deco, exposing the depths to which the relationship had sunk. Now we know that the ADF actually did receive sixty four thousand applications just last year. That sounds incredibly impressive, doesn't it. But less than one in ten is getting accepted, and so obviously applicants are like, well, excuse me. Now Australians, much to their shock, are reminded that this really really important job. Hello, we need to get our numbers up. Times are perilous. Nobody's joining Our defense force was outsourced to a Swiss company, And then we wonder why maybe they didn't care enough to do a good enough job.
Speaker 2: The Swiss company basically had two KPIs. They said they would recruit ten thousand or thereabouts new soldiers. They say, now it'll be about seven thousand. So they've only met seventy percent of their target and the other KPI was they would within one hundred days take someone from application to enlistment. They're now saying, oo, it'll be more like one hundred and fifty days. But what really gets me is, as you pointed out, they've been told their performance is not satisfactory and wholly deficient, and then their contract's been extended by another six months.
Speaker 6: Indeed, peak government bureaucery exactly right there. I mean, we have not hit a single defense force recruitment target since I think about nineteen ninety six, and the average time it takes to process and application is over a year.
Speaker 5: People have moved on with.
Speaker 6: Their lives in over a year, so it's no wonder people are applying, but they're not actually joining the defense force because who would wait around for that long. But in the Herald Sun, we've also got some interesting headlines. Corruption bombshell. Acted deputy police chief accuses premier, minister and new top cop of conspiracy, misconduct and retribution in explosive iback claim. Premier just sin to Allen and Police Minister Anthony Carmines and Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugget have been accused of corruption and misconduct in public office over the acting of the states to top cops, at what point will Victorian labor reach a point of no return? How many more corruption scandals can they possibly have? The CFMU earlier this week, Now the top cops go and iback like, is this just it's reaching fast levels?
Speaker 2: And this is bad for sin to Ellen of course, because the crime crisis is the number one issue in Victoria and she has been like an Olympic gymnastream backflip after backflip with tougher bail laws, banning machettes. For her now to be accused of having dealt wrongly with the former Commissioner Shane Patton, especially when it was revealed the other week that Shane Patten, shortly before he was removed, had proposed tougher bail laws and been told can't afford it, not enough room in prisons. Then he's out the door, presumably because there was a vote of no confidence by police officers. That was the reason given by the premier. But now of course you've got the former deputy commissioner saying no, no, no, there was something else going on. This is just bad on every level for Jacinta Allen. But one quick thing is before we get to the Australian. I remember last night we're talking about Brad Batten, the Victorian Liberal leader who was making the front page because he said he was visiting family in Queensland went on a cruise talk about the Liberal This is the headlines that the Liberals want on the front page, not their own stupid squabbles.
Speaker 4: So they glad to have the spotlight back on the Alan.
Speaker 1: Government where it should be, Yeah, should be.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They're like, yep, please keep magging us look good. No more of those front pages about us, Thank you very much to the Australia Now where the biggest splash reads keeping coal state seas Light. One of Australia's biggest coal power stations in Victoria's Latrobe Valley, is set to stay open for four more years, amid fears of devastating electricity shortages. In an extraordinary u turn for the State Labor Government's renewable energy only blueprint, a decision to keep coal in the power system for longer underscores Australia's volatile transmission from fossil fuels to green power, Even as Federal Minister Federal Energy Minister rather Chris Bowen insisted a move to double the amount of renewable energy by the end of the decade remained on track. Mate, when you're going to give up on that line, nobody is agreeing with you, and they're the ones running the energy companies, so nobody's listening to you anymore. And when Victor, the most devoted state in the country to your renewable energy's dream, dominated by labor left, is actually turning around and saying, so we're going to have to keep the call up and running for an extra four years.
Speaker 4: Watch that drag out.
Speaker 3: By the way, let's replay this clip in four years and see if it's been closed by then. You can beat your bottom dollar. They'll be extending it once more.
Speaker 2: I love this call is unreliable and unaffordable and we're going to need it for a lot longer.
Speaker 1: And then put those two things together.
Speaker 2: The other thing in Tomorrow's Australian there's a story hidden away that five solar farms in regional Victoria have been told to shut down because of bushfire risks.
Speaker 1: So you've got these two stories in the paper Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Coal extended for at least another two three four years in Victoria, while solar farms, which are supposed to be supplying all the power are ordered to be switched off because of bushfire Risksen just would be loving this.
Speaker 4: I know. And to make matters worse for labor.
Speaker 3: We read also on the front page of the Australian debt blowout worst in developed world. Australia has recorded the sharpest increase in public debt in the developed world, with government liabilities as a proportion of national output growing almost fourfold over the past two decades. Of course, we can't blame them for a fourfold increase after that many decades, but they're the ones holding the corn shell while.
Speaker 4: This is making the news.
Speaker 3: It's not a good look when you're looking at an election in just a matter of months.
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, well, that's what happens when you spend an extra three hundred and forty seven billion dollars.
Speaker 5: What do you know? The budget blows out.
Speaker 6: But over in the bulletin, a council puts a pin in jumping castles. There is a ban on bouncing. Townsville Council has taken the extraordinary step of banning jumping castles in council hearts and venues in response to changes made by the state's Safety Watchdog, but Townsville amusement rides operator says local businesses were blindsided by the move, labeling it un Australian. I cannot tell you how many birthday parties I had on a jumping parcel. I think it is outrageous that the kids in Townsville will not get to experience that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was one terrible accident some years ago which is an absolute tragedy.
Speaker 1: But surely the answer is not to ban it.
Speaker 2: As it appears the Townshill Council have done in response. The answer is to have good safety regulations and make sure people do the right thing.
Speaker 1: Let the kids bounce. We're going to go to a commercial.
Speaker 2: Break, but when we come back a Melbourne council bans people from attending. Of course, they're the people that are paying the rates. Talk about that in the moment.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Last month the Melbourne Council in Casey had to have police escort councilors from the chamber after local residents boom, shouted and swore at them over land permits, which require people to pay to store their own vehicles on their own properties. Here's what happened at that meeting last month.
Speaker 8: The council meeting.
Speaker 12: Will resume at seven point thirty five. We'll all councilors and staff vacate the council chamber for ten minutes under Clause seventy nine of the City of Casey Governance Rules. I'm adjourning this meeting tonight and it will resume at a date to be determined. We'll all counselors and staff vacate the council chamber.
Speaker 2: So what do you do when local ratepayers aren't happy and they behave like that at a council meeting? Where you move the next council meeting online so ratepayers don't get to attend at all. These councilors list have completely forgotten the ratepayers are paying their salari sool then and they're hiding from.
Speaker 3: Just get rid of the people you were unhappy with your performance.
Speaker 4: It's that easy.
Speaker 3: Well, today, Carolyn Levitt, Press Secretary for the White House, was asked what she was going to do about a request from a random French MP to return the Statue of Liberty.
Speaker 7: There is now a member of the European Parliament from France who does not think the US represents the values of the Statue of Liberty anymore.
Speaker 10: They want the Statue of Liberty back.
Speaker 7: So is President Trump going to send the Statute of Liberty.
Speaker 1: Back to France?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not.
Speaker 13: And my advice to that unnamed, low level French politician would be to remind them that it's only because of the United States of America that the French are not speaking German right now, so they should be very grateful to our great country.
Speaker 3: She clearly hasn't read New York Times bestseller church Hill Hitler and the Unnecessary War How Britain Lost its Empire and the West Lost the World. Highly recommend it. But you thought it was a cool comeback, didn't your mack?
Speaker 2: I thought it was a great burn I haven't read guy edition. I mean, you'd hate to be that guy who absolutely got burned.
Speaker 1: She does a great job. She's a good White House secretary.
Speaker 5: She's so good.
Speaker 6: But that's just the Europeans for you at the moment, always complaining, always winging, and then requesting America to rescue them.
Speaker 4: Iconic friend, that's.
Speaker 1: All we've got time for stick around. Coming up is Therena Penny Show. Good Night