Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, the podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed, And as always I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mummer TV and my co author on our upcoming book I Feel So Special twelve Months to Financial Freedom, coming out on the first of September. Hello, Canna, good morning.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 1: I am well, and today we are talking about something interesting.
Speaker 2: Yes, by default, rich people we're talking about.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. By default, everything we talk about on this show is interesting. But today's a little bit salacious, yes as well, because you're right, we're talking about rich people, right, And when people think about wealth and wealthy people, it's.
Speaker 2: Truly authentically wealthy people. Yeah, yeah, like mega rich, not social media rich.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. I think we're definitely talking about different things. I'm talking about boats and convertibles and all that kind of thing. No, but when we are talking about wealth and wealthy people, you often have this image of luxury spending, right, and that is the social media style of wealth. Right. But in reality, there are a lot of things that financially successful people don't actually spend money on, right, or at least they would think very carefully before they spend money on these things. So today we are going to put together a big surprise. We're putting together a list ten things. If ten is an acceptable number.
Speaker 2: To you, ten is my love language.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, good, don't make it weird. Ten things that wealthy people don't waste money on. Go for it. Give us number one.
Speaker 2: Cars. Oh really, yeah, Like this constant upgrading of cars, it's just doesn't happen. They have a car, they use it, they drive it, but it's often owned out right, unless it's you know, structured through a business. But there's not this like insatiable appetite to constantly upgrade it every couple of years and you know, push the kick the can down the road with the expensive leases.
Speaker 1: They have their car.
Speaker 2: It serves a purpose, gets them from A to B and it doesn't define them.
Speaker 1: Oh that's disappointing, because I would love to you know what I would love to do just be able to walk into a dealership of a very expensive brand and just go take that one, thank you, and make everything lever, and I will pay for it in full. But now that's what I shouldn't do that, because otherwise that is a one way ticket to becoming more poor.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an appreciating asset. The moment you drive it out of the dealership, you know, it's dropped in value by you know, twenty thirty percent sometimes.
Speaker 1: Okay, And that is why the old the old saying goes about buying secondhand and buying good secondhand, because you suddenly avoid all of that initial deprecat in the asset.
Speaker 2: Even pre loved, so not pre loved even sorry a demonstrated models what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because all of a sudden you have a car that's got maybe three four five thousand k's on it, and you will save a fortune doing it exactly. Okay, all right, give us number two on the list of things that wealthy people don't waste money on.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna call this stupid debt.
Speaker 1: Stupid.
Speaker 2: Yes, they do not engage. It is not even in their vocabulary buy now, pay later, credit cards, even car loans, personal loans. This type of debt is toxic. It's a hindrance, and it's often used to buy things that actually depreciate in value. If they're going to buy something, they pay for it in cash or they use their credit card, and credit card is obviously paid off in full each month, but they it's not necessary. They see it as a block something that's going to actually be detrimental to the path that they're on and where they're heading.
Speaker 1: I like, I'm interested that the buying now, pay later is in that list. By Now pay later is. It's not an old thing. It's a relatively recent addition to the lending space, and it has taken off right, and it can be a bit of a trap.
Speaker 2: I don't have an issue with buy now, pay later when it's used responsible, because I know people who are on type budgets and they actually use it as a budgeting tool. But interestingly, because the rules around by now pay Later have really tightened, they've brought some laws in to help protect people just good, which is great. The personal loan space has actually exploded, so in the first three months of this year, Australians have borrowed a record five point one billion dollars. Really, yeah, that's scary, and that's not for big ticket items like you know what, I remember if you go back, say five years, people might take out a personal loan to pay for a wedding, for example, or a holiday, and I don't agree with that at all. But now these personal loans are being used to actually help cover the cost of living. So people are using it to buy the everyday essentials.
Speaker 1: And is that in part because they were previously doing that on buy now, pay later? But the rules have tightened a lot, and so they're not able to access that credit as easily.
Speaker 2: Yes, on top of the fact that you know, all their emergency savings has been eaten, not but the rising cost of living, interest rates, inflation and so forth. But yeah, it's been used for you know, not for splurges. It's been used for survival.
Speaker 1: Buy now, pay later is not so different to good old fashioned layby, though, is it. It's probably just a slightly more regulated form of that.
Speaker 2: Really. No, see a lay by, you don't get that item until you've paid it off, so there's a lot more discipline involved. I love layby, like I used to do it a.
Speaker 1: Lot, but we still do it.
Speaker 2: Yes, but only I think David Jones, for example, might do it, but they really don't promote it because it's actually an issue for them because they've got to then hold onto that stock. Yeah, and it obviously takes up space and storage, and it's the cost of the actual administration between taking the payments, taking their regular payments and then obviously organizing election. So it is actually a very expensive exercise for them, Steuard. That's why most people don't do it anymore. Okay.
Speaker 1: And so people that are financially secure, financially successful tend to steer clear of what you have described as stupid dtepid debt okay, by now pay later, carloans, those kinds of things, high interest rates and often not going to deliver value for money.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Number three, loyalty tax are our old friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was actually having a chat the other day about this, and you know, they said it was like lazy tax.
Speaker 1: It is so I like you to be just having a chat with your friends about loyalty tax or superannuation or something. Your friends must just see you come and go, oh god it he's going to talk about loyalty tax again.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, I was standing up for people because you know, we can very easily you know, put off as you know, for well, making those phone calls to try and get a better deal. And this person was saying to me, oh, well, you know, that's people just being lazy and procrastinating, And I said, actually, I used to think that, but now I think people are so time poor, you know, finding that carving out that time in the day to make that phone call or go and see that person, or build up the courage to ask for a better deal is so overwhelming. So I don't think it's actually a matter of laziness. I think it's just amount of time and to find time. But this is the mindset switch. With wealthy people. They know that, yes, it is going to take a bit of time, you know, it's going to be half an hour, you know, waiting or having to make an appointment to you know, with the mortgage brokeer reover it may be. But they know that that investment of time is going to be significant savings. And you know, you know classic example, you know, calling you know, your mortgage broker and getting them to get do ask the bank on your behalf for a better deal. It's probably going to take half an hour on the phone, but that could save you two thousand dollars a year. And if you think about well, okay, depending on your marginal tax rate, that might be the equivalent of earning an extra three thousand dollars a year from the savings that you create. So they are aware of the cost of their time, but they know that it is well worth it. Yeah, and they prioritize it, and they do it in a very efficient way. They'll do it, you know, whilst driving to work obviously hands free through the car, or they'll do it, you know, you know, whilst walking the dog. They'll do it in an efficient way because they know that their time is cost money and they want it. It's an investment, so they want to make sure their returns there. You know, they prioritize it and they check in on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: Okay, and so in doing so they avoid quite simply loyalty tax, which is this tax that essentially you just end up paying more because you are a loyal customer, whereas new customers coming in through the front door are being.
Speaker 2: Getting a little better deal. And so they notice that and they go in head first asking for the same rate. Otherwise they'll leave, and they happily will leave because they know that their money, if it's not their business, is not welcome. I'll take them business s elsewhere, all right.
Speaker 1: So that one boils down to appreciating the value of your own time and going Actually, you know what, I might save two thousand dollars from making this half hour call. That values my time at four thousand dollars an hour exactly. That is a very high value phone call.
Speaker 2: It's a good mindset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is, all right. That's number three. Give us number four.
Speaker 2: Unsupportive people so limiting, Yes, I know, so not quite well, not a financial product as such, but you listen to this. The so limiting or even like being protective of your circle, you know, of the information that they share. Being careful is people who might criticize them or judge them or mock their ambition, you know, making them feel bad for actually having a crack, having a go, or even people who normalize like financial chaos. You know, we've all got that friend who just is a hot mess with money.
Speaker 1: And they never pay anything and are always a bit behind on everything.
Speaker 2: And it's exactly and often sometimes not often sometimes these people we don't play victim a bit. Wealthy people are very aware of the energy of people and how and I believe this as well, you know, energy is contagious and so our habits. So not that they don't socialize or have these friends, but they're just a bit more protective of their circle and how they expose themselves and who they let into their circle. And you know, they're very protective as to how they build their tribe. If you like making sure that people are encouraging, their inspiring, their supportive. They'll challenge you in a healthy way to think about things from a different perspective or look at what things or you know, where they see a weakness, they'll take that constructive criticism on board, you know, in a positive manner, so they don't waste their time because time is money with people who aren't there, you know, to serve them and also obviously reciprocate that back as well into their circle and tribe.
Speaker 1: I like that one. That is good actually, and I remember seeing a couple of years ago. It is a mindset shift, right. A couple of years ago I saw somebody they received an invoice from a small business and they paid it that same day, right, And it was just such a great example to me of building up good karma in terms of in terms of that small business all of a sudden doesn't need to wait two weeks, three weeks, four weeks plus in order to get paid, improves their cash flow, etc. And it was no skin off this person's nose. To pay that bill straight away made all the difference to that small business. It's okay. Those are the kind of people that you want to have around you that have those good money habits, and that can really be a bit of a role model.
Speaker 2: And you know, on that note of role model, I think, you know, wealthy people, because they're so aware of this, they really have intentionally built upper community around them and they've filled them, I guess, surrounded themselves with people who were educated and formed and got huge amounts of experiences and can share that insight and that growth. And you know, when it comes to mentors as well, you know they are mental themselves, and you know they have mentors around them. But there's one thing I think I speak about this maybe in Mindful Money in my book, but there's this concept I talk about this imaginary mentor So not all of us have access in including me, to these amazing people and entrepreneurs and you know, people with highly skilled qualifications experience. But if you can access their mindset, their information. Through listening to podcasts where they've been interviewed, reading their books, perhaps doing some of their courses, or you know, watching interviews with them online or on TV, you can learn so much about them and actually learn to have them as your own imaginary mentor in your life. So you know, this is a way I think of actually incorporating this into your life and a budget friendly way to become wealthy. I like that, And so I did this myself with some emotional regulation stuff, and I'd always say to myself, what would this person say? Or how would this person that's a mentor of mine and that's an imaginary mentor, but they exist and they're a real person. How would this person react? What would they say? And I've found that it really triggered this, this ability for me to actually handle a triggering situation with greater resilience.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you can actually manufacture that, essentially, because there is enough content out there through podcasts, books, interviews, ted talks, all that kind of stuff that you can that you can actually create that mentor for yourself. All right, that's number four.
Speaker 2: Number five Impressing strangers. So you know, many people spend money you know, trying to look wealthy. You know, this is the social media flex, you know, dining in this restaurant, you know, the shameless, cringe worthy you know Instagram picture where it's like one A with their passport and the glass of champagne. Like I just make I just find that so tacky. Sorry if you've done it, but like, but these people just they do not need to prove anything, And the irony is the louder. The financial flex, the display of wealth often the less actual wealth exists behind it. It's a little bit of a smoke and mirrors and a facade and you know those things flying first class, flying business class, being in the you know, the latest trendiest, coolest nightclub or restaurant or bar or wherever it may be, your hotel. You know, that's not actually the problem, but it's when you know, wealthy people don't need to do that to validate themselves.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's simple, That is clear and simple. And I have seen so many of those photos of the one a or the glass of champagne held up in front of the welcome to Emirates or whatever it is. Oh no, no, no stop. Okay, that is our first five things that wealthy people don't waste money on. Take a quick break, come back with the next five. Canna, we are making a list. I think this is a pretty good list today, not saying that your previous lists have been inferior lists. Really digging a hole here? Aren't I number six on the list of the things that people don't waste money on?
Speaker 2: What is it? All right? Cheap things that cost more later? Now, this isn't necessarily about spending more. It's about spending wisely, focusing on quality. You know, so for example, you know, a really good pair of shoes, or a really good, high quality mattress, or a beautiful cashmere jumper you know that freeze really well last years upon years, or even like a beautiful leather handbag that's just beautifully made, stands the test of time. Yes, it did maybe cost a bit more, but it will last ten to fifteen, twenty years, versus like a fast fashion that you know, thread might go, the leather might scratch, the hardware may tarnish, you know, very very quickly. You know, even you know the tools that they use every day, or you know the classic capsual wardrobe staples, or even you know, looking at advice seeing you know, getting the best legal advice or accounting advice or financial advice that you can afford for your situation, so that you get the job done right, and you get it done right the first time, and you minimize you know, the potential expense or cost or waste further down the track, understanding the total cost of ownership isn't as you just upfront, It's about long term returnal investment.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, that is absolutely right that, particularly when it comes to financial advice or legal advice or one of those ones. The last thing you want to do is to have to go and do it all again in twelve months time or eighteen months time because what you got the first time.
Speaker 2: Was was average or that person wasn't experienced enough or qualified enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not an expert in the space that you needed exactly. Okay, I like that. At number seven.
Speaker 2: All right, financial emergencies that could have been prevented, like avoided completely, so emergency money, having the right types and levels of insurance protection, having the state planning needs set up, being able to properly maintain your home so that you don't get leaks, things don't fall apart, get damaged with the elements, you know, really taking an intelligent preventative approach and action to the things around you that are important so that they're protected. And it's not about eliminating surprises, but it's about being prepared for them if it happens, and having that great peace of mind.
Speaker 1: And acknowledging that it is actually going to cost you money in order to be prepared, because insurance is not cheap. No, insurance is extremely expensive. I have just come to this realization lately when just going back over everything and making sure everything is fit for purpose and just going, oh, my god, we spend a lot on insurance per year, but if I didn't, I would not sleep.
Speaker 2: Tom said the exact same thing the other night because his insurance premiums as her mine. I've got up and it's now our mortgage, and then followed by our insurance is actually the second biggest expense, is now more expensive than what we spend on food, And Tom said, can we please cut this? I was like, absolutely not. I reminded him it was for and why we have to have it, and he said, okay, all right, no, of course I've got to stay, but it's a non negotiable and I wouldn't sleep at night if we if we even tried to trim it down.
Speaker 1: And I imagine that that Tom who works with horses that have all kinds of professional insurances that he would need, like horse kicking insurance.
Speaker 2: Well it is because you know, they were way a race and they're also very volatile and temperamental, and some are quite deadly. And you know, he's he's a freak. He's like a horse whisperer. Like they'll have these like deadly animals and he'll have them like licking him. But you know, going through the insurance application was the underwriter had to do a special interview with him to get him in short because.
Speaker 1: They don't know how often he was licked by horse.
Speaker 2: Well do you understand the nature of his job, and like how close are you? How many hours a day? And of course like he's pretty much on top of them, and he's jabbing needles into them, like acupunction needles, but he's obviously there from an equine welfare point of view, so it's not hurting them. They love him because he you know, takes away their pain. But you know, it's such a niche job and such a but also so high risk and like I've called him, he's like, I can't talk. This horse is you know, it is cranky, you know, and all his styff have to be so careful they can get kicked.
Speaker 1: And the insurance, yeah, is so.
Speaker 2: Necessary, it is non negotiable.
Speaker 1: All right, that's number seven. We are running out of time here. Too much wisdom being imparted almost number eight, please all right?
Speaker 2: Every opportunity. So wealthy people say no a lot. They say no to certain investments, they say no to you know, business ideas or opportunities, they say no to how they spend their time. You know, they understand that wealth comes from actually being selective, focusing on what's important where they're heading their goals, not getting distracted by lots of different activities and you know, opportunities. They need to come back to what are they working on. Is that aligned to my goals, my strategy, my value system. And they know that every time they say yes to something, it's going to cost them somewhere else. You know, they can only fit so much on their plate. So, you know, wealthy people are really protective and mindful as to what they can do, how much they can take on, and whether it's right for them or not. And they don't sweat it if it's not they you know it's They're very comfortable to have that boundary in place and say, look, I'm gonna have to pass on that. It's not the right opportunity for me. Right now, that was a ripper.
Speaker 1: Okay, number eight delivering gold. Let's go to number nine.
Speaker 2: All right, This one's quick gambling like lottery tickets, scratches anything sort of get rich quick scheme. Now, yes, of course we all know, Like you know, I think Kerry Pack was a big gambler. I love to go to Vegas and spend, so I'm.
Speaker 1: Not talking about him.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but the money he was laying was the equivalent of like the loose change and the console of our car.
Speaker 1: Right, and they didn't make the money through gambling, through other sources, building businesses and take away my lottery ticket.
Speaker 2: Well, do you buy lottery tickets? Yeah, we need to talk about this now. Often you buying them?
Speaker 1: So I am very responsible. I only buy it when the prize is over a certain amount.
Speaker 2: So when the opportunity is zero point zero zero zero zero zero zero zero one percent.
Speaker 1: Of winning, well, I mean the odds aren't going to change. Whether the prize is one million dollars or ten million dollars, they are still going to be infinitesimally small. But if it's ten million dollars plus, I will buy a ticket because if somebody wins one hundred million dollars, I would like that person too, in theory be me and I can't win it if I don't have a ticket.
Speaker 2: Look, I've bought scratches and lottery tickets, but I think I've done that for maybe birthday, like as a joke, as part of a as part of a present, but no, like and I hate, I hate pokis. I have a personal experience with an Eggs that gambled, and I've seen it firsthands. But no, it's hard, it's a it's it's it's a really hard one. We've done a podcast episode actually talking exactly about this. But no, they don't they don't gamble. Yes, they might gamble, say the casino blackjack poker, yes, but that's for entertainment. This isn't about making money. You know, it's a boy's pokerne or you know, going to the casino and you know, playing roulette or this. It is something that's more entertainment. This. They do not gamble when it comes to this, where it's not gambling, say with a business investment, it's gambling with actual money, where it's based on oh, it's not you know, information, data, research history.
Speaker 1: In my defense, my lottery tickets are a form of entertainment because you have no idea how much time we then spend discussing and analyzing what we would do if all of a sudden we won fifty million dollars, and it is so much fun. That is entertainment, all right.
Speaker 2: You know what I always say, money needs a landing destination when you have to try and manifest it. So actually that makes a bit of sense, you know exactly. You have a game planning place for when you win ten million dollars in the lottery tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I would be able to put it into action within minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I will excuse your lottery texts. That gets approved in your budget.
Speaker 1: Wonderful, thank you. And would you believe I have actually budgeted for that all lottery tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I've I have, and I've rounded it up to make sure that I'm not This.
Speaker 2: Is actually what we talk about in our book.
Speaker 1: Twelve Months to financial freedom.
Speaker 2: We talk about the imports of rounding up. We even give you actually the formula to use to do your budget so that you can afford these things, which in your case is lottery tickets, yep, so that you can afford it and manage your cash for from paycheck to paycheck. Now, that is more of a reason to go and pre order book actually, if you want to be able to afford these frivolous purchases.
Speaker 1: Sound like lottery tickets.
Speaker 2: Lottery tickets.
Speaker 1: Give us the last one on our list, number ten.
Speaker 2: Keeping up with the joneses, you know, particularly when it comes to those impulse purchases and you know, the gadget upgrades.
Speaker 1: Okay, but but right, you can't tell me that people who live on the most expensive streets in Melbourne or in Sydney aren't just in a competition with each other to see who can have the nicest, most flash houses and cars and things. They are all keeping up and competing with each other, right, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I think they buy what they need, you know, say they need a new security system. They buy the security system for their house and what they need and that's it. They don't need to go and show and compare and boast. They buy what they need and that's it. And I think buying anything above that is a waste of money and you know, disrespectful to the flow of money, and that money could be going elsewhere in their businesses, in their investment portfolios, in their retirement plan, or you know, the staff that they pay to help support the system running them.
Speaker 1: Like, ok all right, yeah, I don't think so, Okay, that is a comprehensive list.
Speaker 2: Well, I thank you.
Speaker 1: I really enjoy that. So that is ten things that wealthy people don't waste money on cars, constant upgrades of cars, stupid debt by now pay later. Carl owns those kinds of things. What we've talked about in the past is toxic debt, at loyalty tax, unsupportive people, impressing strangers. Number six was cheap things that cost more later. Number seven of financial emergencies that could have been avoided. Number eight they do not waste money and time on every opportunity. They know the power of saying no. And number nine was gambling and number ten keeping up with the Joneses great list. That is fantastic. If we want more information from you, where do we find.
Speaker 2: You the best place to contact me. The best place to contact me is through Instagram at Sugar Mama TV.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news. You can use thank you for listening to how do they Afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. And the best thing you can do is tell somebody else or perhaps even send them a link to this episode and spread word thank you for your company. Join us again next week.
Speaker 2: M