Speaker 1: Apod shape production.
Speaker 2: Book back to another episode, a new episode, a new season of.
Speaker 1: Am I a Bad Mum Podcast? Hope holidays went well?
Speaker 3: School holidays? Aren't they a treat? Everyone's breathing that big sigh of relief as the kids skip off to school again for another term.
Speaker 2: Did they skip off to school though, or did they kind of like stumble their way there, going.
Speaker 1: I can't buy my other shoe.
Speaker 2: And I did the whole Make sure you've got all your stuff organized, make sure you know where both your shoes are, make sure you know your hats are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did the same thing. I was, like, I said to both of them as they were going to bed the night before school going back, At least you could do would be to get your school bag out of the cupboard that's been in there for two weeks and hope to God that there is no food, no old water bottles, no leftover sports gear that still smells. Because I usually go through on the last day and clear out the bag, and I did not those holidays.
Speaker 2: Allowing them to figure that out themselves. Oh morning off, Oh your old lunchbox is still in there with the moldy food from two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Honestly, anything could have been in there. The least you could do the night before would be to get your bags out of the cupboard and check that your stuff is basically ready to go.
Speaker 2: Am I bad mum for not worrying about my kids.
Speaker 3: Just in general. Well, is the back end of holidays.
Speaker 2: There was an incident where they pulled me up and I was like, oh shit, yeah, I just was completely thinking about myself, which is such not a mum thing to do. But I'm going to start off this actually with just explaining something a little bit more serious that happened over the holidays, in that someone tried to break into our house. So we were away and we had a girl who was house sitting for us and feeding the pets and all the rest of.
Speaker 1: It, which was great.
Speaker 2: She sends me a message whilst we were away saying, hey, think my car got broken into last night. Any chance she could check your cameras. So I'm like, oh shit, I'm checking the cameras and I've gone back and I'm like there's literally nothing. Like I've gone back the whole night and I cannot find anything. She was like, it's definitely been broken into. I've called the police. I'm not gonna touch it. I'm just gonna wait and see, you know, make sure I don't put any fingerprints on it and all the rest of it. And I was like, this is really weird. Like I'm looking at the camera and there's literally nothing. You know why, right, Because it happened at seven point thirty that morning. I was not thinking someone's trying to break into the house with two cars in the driveway at seven point thirty in the morning, neighbors are out, bright sunshine on.
Speaker 3: Daylight, gord daylight.
Speaker 2: And the reason that I'm telling this story is because I want mums to be aware, because the police actually told us that it's a very common time for people to break in around that seven thirty eight am kind of time, and the reason being because mums are getting kids ready for school, and the amount of times you get into the car and you go, oh shit, I forgot the lunch box, and then you run in to get the lunch box, leave your car unlocked, possibly possibly leave your front door unlocked. That's when they're coming in and getting stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other time that's really popular apparently now is four pm. Same thing that kind of get in between in.
Speaker 3: Between the in between rush of getting home, unpacking, grabbing.
Speaker 2: The sports stuff for the after school activities, that kind of thing. So this guy rage honestly didn't even try to look not dodgy, like full dodgy black tracksuit, hood up, wearing a glove so that he obviously couldn't leave any fingerprints. He's come down our driveway. He's been startled by a neighbor opening their garage door. He's hopped over the fence, he's gone into our back garden. You can see him Rache peering around because he can see the person in the house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know he's peering.
Speaker 2: Around, and then he still goes to try and unlock the back doors and the side laundry.
Speaker 3: Door, Yeah, whilst watching the person and outside.
Speaker 2: So my thing was like, I spent honestly days going what the fuck would have happened if that door was open? Yeah, one of the doors was unlocked. You could see him in the video opening.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, oh my god, he's opening the door. Luckily safe was locked. But how many times do you have your back door unlocked while you're home? And that's exactly why they're coming.
Speaker 1: In at those times. Yeah, right, So public service safety.
Speaker 3: And announcement, Katie's on it.
Speaker 2: Lock your car if you have to pop back in, because if we've gotten something for school, lock your car, lock your front door, lock your back doors.
Speaker 1: It's sad that we have to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm not like taking the safety message away from this, but I mean, if you're having that kind of day and your kids are still in the car, do you have to lock it then or just hope.
Speaker 2: That Honestly, he would have tried to take the car with the kids, He would have returned it really.
Speaker 3: Quickly at the moment, would be heavily returned quite quickly with the car.
Speaker 1: Take the car back, here's your keys. I thought this would be a great idea.
Speaker 3: I've changed your mind.
Speaker 1: I don't think I really want to do this.
Speaker 2: So the worrying about my kids thing is that this morning was the first morning that I was in the house by myself, and I found it a bit traumatic, the thinking about someone being right there in my backyard. Yeah, like it's just safe space. I could see him trying all of our doors like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's affected me quite a bit, like I've become a little bit paranoid, but like, I didn't want to hang washing out on my washing line for a good few days because that's you know where he was, That's where he jumped over the fence. Like it just I don't know, it just freaked me out a little bit. But I've been okay. But I realized that I've been okay because there's always been someone else in the house. This morning was the first time that I was going to be in the house by myself.
Speaker 3: Rach.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I went and had a shower and put the alarm on downstairs. Whilst I was in the shower, You're like, I just gonna I was watching the camera because we got all new cameras. People that alert you, Yeah, because that was the problem, Like we had those security cameras, but it didn't alert me.
Speaker 1: So I didn't think I needed to have a look back. Yeah, until she said that her car was broken into.
Speaker 2: And so now we've got all these new cameras. Honestly, just but I've put the shower on to get warm, I'm checking the driveway.
Speaker 1: It's just some neurotic But.
Speaker 2: It's funny because Day said to the girls as he was taking them to school, he said, oh, Mom's a bit nervous. They were like, why is she nervous? He said, she's a bit nervous because it's the first time she's been in the house by herself. They turned around today and they went.
Speaker 1: Well, she left us in the house by ourselves all last week.
Speaker 3: Were they all right? They've done well off the back of this.
Speaker 1: They were fine. They were surprisingly fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I definitely thought that there would be some kind of back to the days of I'm not staying home by myself and calling me what time are you coming home?
Speaker 1: That kind of thing.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought, at least one of them. I thought we'd have that much. I would have going. Actually, I'm going to think of it, probably not keen to stay by ourselves.
Speaker 2: I found it quite strange. I mean, it's good that they're not scared, but I kind of fully expected them to be. And I was having a chat to one of my neighbors about it, and she was like, yeah, well, probably because their brain isn't going to the places where your brain is in that he was right here. What would have happened if that door was unlocked, she was in the.
Speaker 3: House and he was carrying something, wasn't he he was carrying a weapon or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he was carrying a knife. You can see it happened.
Speaker 2: How traumatic for the girl that was housted in for us if he had gone in whilst she was there.
Speaker 3: And nothing sort of deterred him either. I mean, not that your dog is very deterrent, but the noise that a dog can make can sometimes deter the fact that they'll either stay or go. Kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Our dog you can see in the camera. Oh dog is chased.
Speaker 2: It's running around after him, barking, like play with me. I'm so glad he didn't, like because because she's a tiny dog, you could have.
Speaker 3: Just That's what I was, like, I'm about to get wild if he touches her. But when do you think it's going to be enough time for you to feel comfortable again and safe enough in your own home, Like is it time that sort of holds that key to feeling comfortable again and not sort of on edge as much that you're checking a camera whilst showering.
Speaker 2: Like it's because I was blow drying my hair. Age kept thinking I've got the hair drawer and I can't hear if someone's coming up into the room, like I just kept thinking that. I think it's just because we get a bit complacent. I think, as we should feel safe in our own homes, we feel safe, and then when something like this happens, it's like WHOA like this can happen kind of thing. Absolutely, It's funny because I got a bit emotional last week and I was like, you know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: I'm going to record a video.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say what I need to say, and I don't want to get into a whole you know, this is not about politics or the government or who's in power or whatever, but it is about who's in charge of what happens to these people. Because technically he didn't steal anything. He didn't get into the house because we had the doors locked, but he had every intention of going in. And it's not just about what he steals. It's about you as people and how traumatic that is and what your mind then does afterwards in terms of not feeling safe, feeling a bit violated, someone's been in his space, like all that kind of stuff. And so I did this video which I was going to post on Instagram. It was twelve minutes long. So I mean, I'm no Instagram expert. But you know, I even know that twelve minutes probably a bit much and rage. Honestly, it's probably just therapy in itself.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I did this video. I got really emotional and I was like, I can't hang my watching out.
Speaker 2: I'm scared to go into back guard, like I don't want the doors. I locked on my home and did this whole video, and then I got Holly to watch it because I wanted her to edit it. And she's good at that stuff because she's fifteen and I know nothing, and so I wait, can you just like edit this in cap cup, make it a bit shorter. And then she got to the end of it and no one, what did you think? And she went Honestly, I went, yeah, she went, I would watch that video on Instagram and I'd go, oh, poor you in your privileged house, crying about someone being in your garden. I was like, okay, I won't post it then, and just an FYI, I really am quite sad about someone being in my garden, my garden.
Speaker 3: I love the way that she thinks. When we spoke about it and I said to you, you said, what do you think I should do? Should I post it? And I was like, I think you should get a cup of tea. I think you should sit and watch the twelve minutes and tell me whether you want to post it, because that is probably just a bit of therapy, you know, like some people are in journals. You took a video and it's probably good for you to get it out. Yep. So just sit in a moment of reflection, have a cup of tea.
Speaker 1: And just let this one slide.
Speaker 3: To let it slide. Polly has gone in with an absolute brutal mind,