Speaker 1: Hey, beauties, It's Jamie Joe and Jesse Massou and welcome to Skinfluence, a podcast dedicated to beauty, fashion and self love.
Speaker 2: Turning your weakness into your uniqueness.
Speaker 3: Before we get started, we'd like to acknowledge the custodians of the land on which we record the Gadigil people of the or nation.
Speaker 1: In today's episode, we are tackling our most asked questions about curly hair, and it's all going to be about how to grow out your curly hair and how to deal with frizz.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. So hair growth.
Speaker 3: This is literally our biggest asked question because we both do have quite long curls and Michaels have been through many different stages. I've had the short curls, I've had, you know, a fringe, I've had very round curls, and now I've got long mermaid curls and this is actually my favorite stage of my hair.
Speaker 1: Same and I think we kind of go through these stages together, like which is so cute. And our followers have seen that, of course, and they are all asking the question how do you go out your curls?
Speaker 2: And this can be a.
Speaker 1: Little bit tough to answer, because it's not just one miracle thing that we can say this is going to work for you, because, like we always like to say, hair is really like individual and there are so many different curl types, right, so.
Speaker 2: What we might do might not work for you.
Speaker 1: But we have seen these things test and tried amongst a wide group of people, and these things like together are always going to help stimulate hair growth.
Speaker 2: I think we have a few pretty fool proof methods.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 3: The only thing that could be getting in the way of hair growth is your hormones, So that could be something separately that you have to check out. But in terms of if you're doing all these things together, as Jesse said.
Speaker 2: You are going to see results.
Speaker 3: So just stay stick with us because we've got some really really great stuff to tell you about how to grow out those curls.
Speaker 2: All right, let's hop right into them.
Speaker 1: The first one we're going to talk about is rosemary water. I'm sure most of you would have seen online a big sort of craze that started about rose mary oil versus rosemary water. As I saw this craze come up about rosemary water, I guess I had really short hair at the time I was dealing with hormone issues and I just did like the big chop, thinking that was going to save my curly.
Speaker 2: We both did.
Speaker 3: I don't know what we decided to do, but before our Italian summer in twenty twenty two, we thought, why why not just chop out curls off?
Speaker 2: Why would we do that?
Speaker 1: Like, I think we were both going through the works with our curls. Yeah, our curl pattern had changed and like they just sort of lost a bit of life. So we thought that if we cut our hair we'd get the life and the bounce and the curls back.
Speaker 2: But it just actually was for a solution.
Speaker 1: So maybe even take that as a sign to not think that cutting your hair is always the option.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like I said, I was going through the works. I heard so much about rosemary oil online actually, and I really really wanted to try it, but honestly, I was afraid about putting oil into my curly hair. It's something that you hear a lot of mixed sort of reviews about. Well.
Speaker 3: Not only that, I think our experience with oil in general is that it doesn't actually do many good things for our curls. Me personally, I never use oil on my hair unless it's just a little bit if I have dead ends, so just on the very ends of my curls. I don't like using oil throughout my hair to refresh because it makes.
Speaker 1: It oily, droopy, frizzy like all of the aboves.
Speaker 3: So doing that doing rosemary oil wasn't really a good option, even though you'd heard so many good things about it.
Speaker 2: And then you came across rosemary.
Speaker 1: Well that was the thing I heard, just heard so many good things about it for straight hair. Yeah, and I had seen amazing results for straight hair, but you don't see much about it for curly hair. So I kept doing my research and I looked into rosemary water. And this is something that you can actually make at home, which is I love a little bit of a DIY project, you really and it's easy. You can just go down to your local supermarket buy some rosemary, and then the process is you boil the rosemary in water with cloves until the water starts bubbling, and then you actually turn off the heat and then you leave it in the pot with the lid on for twenty minutes and then you just pour it out and it's ready to use. You can freeze it and then let it defrust and use it throughout the week.
Speaker 2: So how would you use it? So how I used it?
Speaker 1: I would put it in a spray bottle, yep, spray all over my scalp, mainly focus in the scalp, and then whatever. Once that was like fully drenched, I'd try and like wet the rest of my hair, and then I would use a scalp massage to rub it in and stimulate blood flow to the scalp so that it sort.
Speaker 2: Of activates in a way.
Speaker 1: These two go hand in hand because using a scout massage and the rosemary water is both targeting hair growth.
Speaker 3: Did you see any results after you were using this? How long did you actually use it for?
Speaker 1: I used this consistently for four months. I started doing it in my UNI break because I knew I could.
Speaker 2: Be consistent with it then.
Speaker 1: And the results I saw from it wasn't necessarily just hair growth, to be honest, like length, I didn't see just length, but I did see density change, and that's something that I was struggling a lot with pcos I felt like my hair was really gappy, thin and thin, and it was like straggling and I was just losing a lot of hair, so I think it helped me stop losing more hair.
Speaker 2: And it made my scalp less irritable.
Speaker 1: I could go longer between my wash days, and it honestly kind of helped me with my dandriff, which is really random, but these were the changes that I saw in response to rosemary water, so it was all positive. Yeah, positive changes that do help lead to length.
Speaker 3: If you're really serious about hair growth, rosemary water is such a good option because it's cheap. I mean, it's almost essentially free if you grow your own rosemary or if you know anybody who does, and it does actually get you the results that you want without keeping your hair oily.
Speaker 2: So rosemary oil maybe is better.
Speaker 3: For straight hair, but I don't think necessarily it's the way to go for thinner density curls. If you have thick, textured, coily hair, this would be a great, great option for you.
Speaker 1: For us, rosemary water, you know, just had great results, Like, yeah, you have nothing by trying it right.
Speaker 3: Another quick thing to slide in before we get to some product rex is having a protein heavy diet. This is just something that you can do for yourself whilst you are eating and preparing your food.
Speaker 2: Having a lot of protein in your diet is going to make.
Speaker 3: Sure that you are keeping good hair density and healthy hair and it just goes hand in hand with women's health and women's hormones. So that's something for Jesse, especially as a pcos curly, that she needs to just focus on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always just upping the protein.
Speaker 1: And we talked about it in a previous episode about bone.
Speaker 2: Broth and collagen.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know collagen help spruce hair skin and they also those things go hand in hand and you can listen to it on that episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. Okay, So this is my favorite hack for really growing your curls. And this is not spoken about enough, and it is so easy and it is so cheap because it's just a one time purchase, so by yourself a scalp massager. I honestly cannot recommend it enough. I've used a few different brands and the one from a Vader is actually my favorite. So it's called the Scalp Solutions scalp Massager. It is fifty eight dollars. But again, it's just.
Speaker 2: A one time purchase.
Speaker 3: It's not a product that you're going to run out of and you can grab that from Mecha. So what you do with a scout massage, you can use it in a few different ways, and Jesse mentioned it in one way, you can use it paired with your rosemary water or oil or whatever you're using. Yeah, because this is really great at stimulating the scalp. It looks like just this little thing that you hold in your hand with poky little prongs and essentially its massages your scalp. What I like to do is I like to go in different sections across the top of my head and then all the way around and literally just getting every part of my scalp and really massaging your head with a scout massage. What it does is stimulate the hair folly cool. It also is going to break up any products build up that you have on your scalp, and product build up can really get in the way it.
Speaker 2: Holds hair growth. Yeah, it can really.
Speaker 3: Get in the way of just a good healthy hair environment for your scalp. Scalp care is so important.
Speaker 1: And I think people don't realize how much product build up they can be having, especially with curly hair, because you're using a.
Speaker 2: Lot of different products.
Speaker 1: So sort of tame your curls and get them looking really really good. So you've got creams, gels, mooses, hair sprays like that creates up a lot of build up which is definitely affecting your hair growth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so really getting rid of that product build up with a Scout massage is going to be so beneficial. And using a Scout massage twice a week to stimulate the hair follicles is going to be so good in just promoting hair growth and length. Yeah. People ask me like, how did you go your hair so quickly because they saw me with short hair not so long ago and now it's almost down to my waist. It is using a Scout massage twice weekly. It is so beneficial. I cannot recommend it enough. And then when you pair it with a product for the scalp, it's just going to boost all the effects and just really really promote healthy hair.
Speaker 1: And the product that I love to use is the Dircose by Vichy Anti Jeranda shampoo. It's twenty six dollars. It's from chemist to warehouse and this isn't a product that has been marketed towards just curly hair, but this product is amazing for reducing product built up. And if you have curly hair and you have dandriff and you have an irritable, itchy scalp, this has made the biggest.
Speaker 2: Change in my hair.
Speaker 1: This is a really good balancing product that I like to use in replace of like a no pooh shampoo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is one thing that you guys have to cut out as curly girls. Stop no pooing, because if you don't know what that is, no poo is basically like it's like cleansing your hair without actually cleaning it. Shampoo is designed to clean the scalp, to get rid of product build up, and just to actually make the hair clean. If you are, as a curly girl not doing that because you think it's better for your curls, you are soally mistaken. You might be self sabotage, Yeah, you really are. And your hair growth, Yeah, you're getting in the way of like healthy hair growth. So using the scap massage with rosemary water or the anti dandriff shampoo is going to just double the benefits and the effects. Now, my favorite product is a scalp scrub, and I almost completely have ditched shampoo. I use it every now and then, but I use a scalp scrub in the shower every single time I wash my hair.
Speaker 2: It's just so much more beneficial for me.
Speaker 3: And the one that I love is the krystof Robin Sea Salts. Wow, what a tongue to a shop. It's the christof rubin sea salt scalp scrub.
Speaker 2: That a handful cheese.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is seventy two dollars, so it's quite expensive, but this is a big tub, so it's actually going to last you quite a while. And a little bit goes a long way because the texture of the product is actually like crystallized sea salt. However, when you scoop it out onto your hand, it looks like that sea salt crystallized product. But then when you add a little bit of water, it starts to emulsify and it actually goes a really long way. So you only need like a small coin sized amount of this, and this effectively cleans my hair like no tomorrow, as in my hair is squeaky squeaky clean if I like the.
Speaker 1: Feeling of it being squeaky clean. Though I know product yeah before when my scalp used to get super irritated. I might try it again soon though, because I don't have that issue anymore, but when I used to try, I did find that it irritated my hair. So maybe if you have already in sensitive scalp and it's in an irritable mode already, maybe don't try it just yet. But if you have a healthy scalp, like Jamie's saying, like this will go a long way.
Speaker 2: To like really clean it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, in terms of hair growth, there are so many things you can do, but these are our top recommendations. Just to go over them again and just give you all quick run down to refresh yourself.
Speaker 1: You've got rosemary water, a high protein diet, scalp massaging, the right shampoo or scalp scrub. Yeah. Now we're getting into another big thing that everyone wants to know how to reduce, and it's bruized.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this is it's a hard topic because frizze is such a beautiful part of curls.
Speaker 2: It's just naturally.
Speaker 1: I think it's just an inherent thing that you have when you have curly hair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not something that you're going to be able to completely get rid of, especially if you like voluminous, big.
Speaker 1: Curl, fluffy curl, yeah, which we both do. I think a better way to think about it is fluffy and movable and like lived in.
Speaker 2: Lived in.
Speaker 3: That's right, Like if you look at our hair from day to day, there's maybe only a few hours that our hair doesn't have any frizz, And that's just the reality of having curls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think I always like to think about curls in the sun and when it's got that little bit of like fluffy frizzy texture to it, the sun hits really lovely on it and it kind of like shines. So I like to think of it in that way, And I don't think it's a bad thing. But at the beginning of your wash, I think you do want your first results to have minimal frieze so that like as you progress, your hair lasts longer throughout the week.
Speaker 3: Of course, like if you live in a humid environment, frieze can be like a very big issue because it's not just a nice little bit of frizze that we're talking about. It could like overtake your hair. You could have absolutely no definition at all. So we do have some recommendations, and these are products that we have been using for a very long time.
Speaker 1: Like since day one Silly Hair day.
Speaker 3: One, which is like almost six years ago, because they are great at combating frizz and actually.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is the John Frieda Dream Curls Frizzease range and you can literally get this at any drug store near you, Price line, Chemist ware House. I think they even have it, like yeah, Willies, yeah, Willis and Calls and especially the Secret Weapon finishing cream.
Speaker 2: And it's super affordable. Their products range from ten to twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: Well, you can just catch a sale to exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love products that you can You're always going to find these on sale.
Speaker 2: The Secret Weapon Finishing Cream.
Speaker 1: I love to use that when I'm refreshing my hair, like the next day, day two, in the morning, I'll put it in my hair, and honestly, that seems to target the frizz on for my Day two curls exactly, so you're gonna mainly see frizz on day two, day three.
Speaker 3: What do you want to do with this product? Is you just want to squeeze a p size amount into your hand.
Speaker 2: Super small amount. Yeah, you don't need a lot.
Speaker 3: It's quite thick actually, and you want to rub it to a mulsify so just rub it between your fingers and then you want to scrunch it in. Don't drag the product through the hair. This can create I know, just like very soggy looking hair.
Speaker 1: Well I I was about to save the opposite. Yeah, what do you mean, Well, I like to like put it like this and then scrutch. Okay, yeah, that's right, because if you just start scrunching, you're just scrunching over the frieze.
Speaker 2: Well that's a pancake technique.
Speaker 3: So you want to pancake over the hair and then scrunch, but you don't want to run your fingers through your curl.
Speaker 1: No, never, that would be terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So pancake it over to seal in that frieze and then you can.
Speaker 1: Then scrunch it back up to give the definition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Also with the products, you can add a little bit of water just to really refresh and enhance the curls, because on day two, water is a great way, Like it's an easy and effective way.
Speaker 1: Water goes a long way more than you think. So even sometimes if you don't have a product available on you, even if you just do the same technique like pancake it down with some water then scrunch it back up like that still does go a long way.
Speaker 3: But don't be like me in high school terrified of having frizzy curls that in the lunch breaks, I would actually just wet my hair and then everyone would be like, is your hair Like, I can't win, Why is your hair frizzy?
Speaker 2: Why is it hair wet?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Okay, you don't fall into that struck exactly.
Speaker 2: So this is a really great product range.
Speaker 3: They have shampoo condition up, moose styling cream gel like anything you could possibly want, and it's super affordable and easy to get and we've tried them all and we love them all approved yep approved. There are also a few things you can invest into make your life easier to reduce frieze, and those are things like silk pillowcases, silk stonges, like keeping in a bonnet yeah, which we can't do because it's so uncomfortable rip it off every time I rip it off halfway through the Yeah, cheers to you if you can sleep with a bonnet on, because that's going to save you so much time in the morning restyling your hair. For me, it's just so uncomfortable. It always ends up on the floor. I don't even know how, but yeah, like I don't remember rapping it off yet. I wake up and it's like halfway across the room.
Speaker 2: It's hanging on my window. Aurently.
Speaker 3: But yeah, these are really really great things that you can just implement into your curl routine just to help reduce a little bit of frieze and make your curls more manageable.
Speaker 1: A new product that I've been loving to use to refresh my hair is the trust My Argan oil range and specifically the step number three, which is their curl Creamy. And I actually started using this when we stayed at the Evolo together and to refresh our hair for the event. Like I've never seen my hair look that good.
Speaker 3: We were going to a Trust My event because they were launching this really cool initiative in the Avolo Hotel where you can have like your own personalized hair menu designed.
Speaker 1: For you for free whenever you say the Evolo, which.
Speaker 3: Is so innovative and different, especially for curly girls, Like who goes to a hotel and has a curly range available exactly, It's unheard of. When we got it delivered, it immediately became one of my favorite curl creams and I use it all the time now because it's very light and fluffy and gives you a beautiful, shining definition.
Speaker 1: To it, and I feel like I don't have to add water to this product. You can use it dry and you can just use it on dry hair because it's lighter than the John Frieda one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's there's such a great range and if you are interested in you know saying on budget, the range actually doesn't have silicones or sulfate, So if that's something you're worried about in your curly hairyutine, you don't have to worry about it. A lot of drugstore curly hair brands have these products, like, they have these ingredients, they're available. Yeah, they have harsh well know, a lot of the drugstore brands have harsh sulfates, harsh silicones, and harsh alcohols in their curly hair products, but Tresame doesn't.
Speaker 1: So is lovely, which is really really great, especially if.
Speaker 2: You do follow the curly girl movement method. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So just remember in terms of friz, it's something that you're going to have to accept and love and it does add to the overall effect of having.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, big, curly hair.
Speaker 1: Yes exactly. Thank you for joining us today on Skinfluence. If you're interested in any of the products mentioned in today's episode, there are links available in the episode description on your podcast app. If you love what you're hear, leave us a rating and air review, And if you have any questions you want us to cover on the pod, reach out via our socials. Mine is at Jessemasoud and mine's at Jamie jo or send us an email at skinfluence at Nova podcast dot com dot au.
Speaker 2: Love you guys, next time. Bye, m