Speaker 1: Get a man.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Late Debates.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate.
Speaker 1: I'm James Macpherson with Caleb Bond and freyer Leitch. Coming up tonight our dope of the day. You won't believe this bloke. He threatens to ruin working from home for everyone. And he's a police officer, which begs the question why is a copper working from home in the first place.
Speaker 3: We'll explain all of that a little later.
Speaker 1: Plus, when we look at the papers, a mother begs police to jail her thirteen year old son after he's involved in repeated break and enters. And a new study shows few of the sunscreens we buy are actually doing what they promise. All of that coming up when we look at tomorrow's headlines. But first, a school debating competition has been thrown into chaos after year nine students were asked to debate whether or not the traditional wife movement was good for women. Debating South Australia have been inundated by angry calls accusing them of setting back women's progress by our one hundred years for allowing the topic even to be discussed. They're accused of asking teenage girls to argue for their own subjugation. The fural was so bad that Debating South Australia had to reassure schools throughout the state.
Speaker 3: The debate wasn't about.
Speaker 1: Whether women must submit or subjugate themselves to men. It was simply about whether society would be better served by women being at home raising kids. Not only that, but they also had to explain how debating works. A statement from the Debating Society said, these people complaining they were outside people have got nothing to do with debating.
Speaker 3: They don't even know how it works.
Speaker 1: Debating is very formal, and not only do we not tolerate in civility, it never happens. It's an intellectual, academic exercise bound up in civility, politeness and good manners. Before we get to or whether we'll even get to the demonization of traditional gender norms and whether that's appropriate or not. This idea that we should shield children from debating.
Speaker 3: Isn't the point of debating?
Speaker 1: Frey that oftentimes you take on a position you don't even agree with, but you learn intellectual flexibility by debating and arguing principles.
Speaker 4: But this is the corner the Left have found themselves in.
Speaker 5: They are unable to even comprehend that people think differently to them. So the very idea of debating, the idea that there could be two different perspectives on an issue is so foreign to them, because for them, there is only one side. It is their side, and anyone that disagrees with them is in this case arguing for women's rights to be stripped away, or they're evil, or they're stupid, and that's just how they think.
Speaker 6: I think they can comprehend that people disagree with them, they can't comprehend why they.
Speaker 2: Disagree with them.
Speaker 6: And so the point is that you have to suppress any other version of thought, because of course, if people have free thought and they don't agree with you, well then you're in a great deal of trouble, right and it is an extraordinary part of the left, I mean, the turnaround that we have seen in the last fifty odd years from once upon a time, you know. I like to think of real lefties, many of which I would call friends, who are going to university in the sixties and the seventies and were campaigning against the establishment and wanted to stop censorship and believed you should be able to say whatever the hell you wanted, and we're standing up for the common man. And oh, that's all the things that the right's doing these days.
Speaker 2: Right, So they have turned into the.
Speaker 6: Establishment, and now that they are the establishment, they want to protect themselves in the same way that once upon a time the right leaning establishment wanted to protect itself the idea that you couldn't say certain things because it might offend someone. It was against the sensibilities of the times. I mean, that is where we are now dealing with the left, to the point where you can't even have an intellectual argument about something without being told that you're somehow subjugating women. And how is it subjugating women anyway to have an argument about whether or not there is merit in being a stay at home mum. Of course there is merit in being a stay at home mum. But the idea, of course now is that unless you are a salary man and you're paying tax to the government, you have no purpose in life whatsoever.
Speaker 1: That The little trick that the left play, it's quite smart in the sense that it often works, is that they take an idea they disagree with, and they don't just say your idea is wrong, They say your idea is harmful. Well, no one wants to see anyone harm. So then having established that idea is harmful, they say, now we must protect people from harm.
Speaker 3: Therefore that subject cannot be discussed.
Speaker 1: But of course, as you pointed out, Fra, it's never about protecting anyone from harm. It's about power and it's about control.
Speaker 5: And let's also remember the topic they're debating here, the triad wife movement. Here's a girl I found on TikTok earlier explaining exactly what this radical and dangerous trade work I stand for.
Speaker 7: Have you seen these millennial and Gen Z girls. They just want to be at home with their kids. They want to have husbands and they want to take care of their husbands. They want to cook, and they want to clean, and they want to wear dresses. It's insane when in reality, it's literally like.
Speaker 4: The oldest lifestyle in the book.
Speaker 7: Before this, they were just called stay at home moms, and before that they were just called women. But now our society has gone so far in the feminist direction that anybody who wants to live like a little bit old school and a little bit like how women used to live is fringe, right, Like in extremist.
Speaker 5: So the radical feminists have completely demonized anyone that wants to take on a more traditional role, which I think is to be honest, insulting to women's choice because many women choose this lifestyle. But also on the evidence, there's a survey that shows conservative young women are three times more likely to report being happy with their lives than their progressive peers. If you look at mental health studies, young progressive women are far more likely to experience mental illness than young conservative women. Across a whole range of indicators. They are less happy, less fulfilled, and less satisfied with life because the message the radical feminist movement sends them is it's all about you, it's all about your material advancement.
Speaker 4: It's all about autonomy.
Speaker 5: You shouldn't be shackled with any responsibility or obligation to other people.
Speaker 4: Anything like that is just subjugation.
Speaker 5: But really, the recipe for a happy life is responsibility and self sacrifice, and that is what the triad wife movement embraces.
Speaker 1: What I liked most about this story, Caleb, was a lot of the fueral was instigated by an author in Queensland who wrote on Facebook a tirade about how wrong it was for year nine students to debate whether or not traditional gender roles were appropriate. And then when there was some pushback on Facebook, this person who said it should not be debated promptly shut down all comments on their fast book page. So well, clearly has a problem with debate webstop exactly.
Speaker 2: And that is the point.
Speaker 6: They don't want to discuss any They just want to tell you it's it's.
Speaker 2: My road or the high road. I mean, no wonder that.
Speaker 6: They struggle so badly with these things, because it's a hard life being a victim all the time, the victim mentality. Speaking of victims, I'm sure one time or another you've been a victim of a screaming child on a plane or in a restaurant or something, and you've gone, jeez, I wish I could just have a few moments where I didn't have to listen to kids.
Speaker 2: You may well be out on a.
Speaker 6: Date night and you've got the kids with a babysitter, and it's like, can I just have four hours or I don't have to listen to think about.
Speaker 2: Or deal with any children.
Speaker 6: Well, interesting opinion piece I read today in the Sydney Morning Herald from the Nine Newspapers. Travel writer Ben Groundwater about the fact that in France they're now looking at the possibility of banning restaurants and hotels and clubs and resorts and whatever else from saying that you cannot bring your kids. The reasoning is, of course, that you should be able to take your kids anywhere. Apparently this is been put up by a Socialist senator in France. That probably tells you most of what you need to know. But their High Commissioner for Childhood in France is also looking into the legalities of this and whether or not they would be able to prosecute a hotel or another venue for not allowing children in. She goes so far as to say that to not allow a child into a restaurant is violence against children, which seems.
Speaker 2: A bit ridiculous.
Speaker 6: I mean, honestly, surely this is a decision for the owner operator of the venue to make. If you say, if you have a restaurant or a cafe, or any venue for that matter, and you say I don't want children in here, surely that's your prerogative.
Speaker 2: If you say I.
Speaker 6: Don't want people with blue hair in my venue, surely that's your prerogative. You should be able to have the freedom to make the decision about the atmosphere that you want in your place. There are plenty of restaurants, plenty of cafes that cater to children, that have family friendly and they're great places to go. But why can we not have a select number of places where they say this is an adult only venue for adults to come and hang out with other adults.
Speaker 1: I have to laugh when they say not allowing children into certain restaurants or hotels violence against children. Allowing children in the front half of an aircraft is violence against premium passengers. But this is a builder's being discrimination right. You can't discriminate against people on the basis of race or on the basis of religion, So why should you be allowed to discriminate against children on the basis that they are children. The argument is flawed, Freyer, for this reason, no one is discriminating against children. You are simply saying to parents you can't come with your child, and if you have a child, that's a lifestyle choice. We're not discriminating against children, We're discriminating against adults with children. Second, this travel writer is so hypocritical. He says hotels should not be able to discriminate against children, though they should be allowed to have some adult only areas within the hotel.
Speaker 3: So he's picking and choosing when he wants to discriminate.
Speaker 1: As the only person on this desk who has children, can I just say, love them dearly, but it's nice to get away from them just occasionally.
Speaker 5: No, I understand what you're saying, and I think the argument at the core of this article makes no sense because we do already discriminate against children.
Speaker 4: We don't let them into nightclubs, into.
Speaker 5: Casinos, into bars unattended, so that argument doesn't really stack up. But I will say I think that as a culture, if we want people to be having more kids, and we'll talk later in the show about our depopulation crisis, then we need to make our country and our culture a place where children and family life are actually valued. Kids shouldn't be something we just you know, lock away at home and we don't want to see them. They're too much of an inconvenience. We've got to shift people's mindsets from saying kids are a burden to kids are a blessing, and I think they are and families should be the center of national life, and when you have so many spaces that exclude families, it doesn't send the right message.
Speaker 6: But people were having far more children when the prevailing attitude was that children should be seen and not heard. So I'm not sure that anyone's failing to have kids because they can't take into a risk.
Speaker 5: No, But it's the implicit cultural message that's sent, which is that children are this annoying burden.
Speaker 4: They impinge on your enjoyment, your ability.
Speaker 5: To live a selfish life, care free, unencumbered by responsibility to others, and that is not the message we should be sending.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure that having kids running around an exclusive resort in the middle of the Pacific where people are trying to relax after stressful three months is promoting family.
Speaker 3: And child rearing.
Speaker 1: People that the rise of the anti child movement is a thing. You make a great point, but I don't think this is that where people desire just to get away for a little bit, you know, just as a couple away from them kids.
Speaker 4: But it can be taken to an extreme.
Speaker 5: Sure resources and this is why I don't support a ban on adults only venues. Resorts are probably an exception but when you get to the point of saying no kids in restaurants, no kids in cafes, we just don't want kids around.
Speaker 4: This is the mentality.
Speaker 3: It's a true blanket thing.
Speaker 1: It's just that there should be some restaurants where you know you go and you're not going to be annoyed by other people's kids.
Speaker 3: And there's a problem.
Speaker 1: If you could ban bad parenting, well problem would correct.
Speaker 6: Correct, But why should we be able to dictate to private venues what they do with their entry rules.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are certain places.
Speaker 6: You cannot go into pubs, clubs, whatever it says on the front door, you can't come in if you've got visible tattoos. Well, that's simply the rules of entry. You cover up your tattoos. If they say you can't bring in your kids, you can't bring in your kids. Who are waiting to tell a private operator what they can and cannot do, Well, that's.
Speaker 5: Why I'm not supporting the legislation. But I think as a cultural message, we need to be careful to remain pro family.
Speaker 4: And here's why.
Speaker 5: A new study by the UN Population Fund has one of collapsing birth rates.
Speaker 4: This is something conservatives have been talking.
Speaker 5: About for a long time, but the prevailing orthodoxy has been no, the world is overpopulated, we have too many people. But that's actually not the case. In fact, so many countries are below replacement rate.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Our birth rate here in Australia is one point five births per women.
Speaker 4: Even India now.
Speaker 5: Has a birth rate below replacement rate. Now, this study, it surveyed thousands of people across fourteen countries. It was representative of people from a low income to high income, every category of society, and they found about one in five people are having fewer children than they would like. That is hundreds of millions of people having fewer children than they would like. And the two primary reasons for that was one financial which makes sense, but two the inner bild to find a partner. Now, this is genuinely so sad. South Korea has the lowest birth rate in the world at just zero point seven eight children per woman. That means in about three or four generations their population will more than half the country and its culture and its history is literally going extinct. This is the greatest crisis the world faces, yet no one seems to be talking about it.
Speaker 4: James.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The UN study says the world has begun a quote unprecedented decline in fertility rates, and as you said, Freyer, so many people lamented the fact that they hadn't been able to have more children. Fully, a third of people over the age of fifty surveyed said they wish they had had more children, but primarily it was because of financial issues that they'd been prevented. This is a welcome change, by the way, from the United Nations talking about the need to have more children, because just last April they were promoting their commitment and dedication to advancing and accelerating abortion rights. There's seventy three million children aborted every year. That's thirty percent of all pregnancies worldwide are aborted. And a year ago the United Nations were championing that. Now they're saying, look, maybe that's not such.
Speaker 3: A great idea.
Speaker 1: Fertility rates are falling, and obviously that's got massive economic implications. It's got massive implications for how we look after our elderly, and it's got massive implications for culture as well. And I think Caleb, there is a cultural issue here. Yes, there's economics, but when you've got a culture, particularly in the West, which is nilistic in worldview, we end up as nothing. We just return to dust. Life is tough anyway. Why would you want to bring more people into a world that's already filled with trouble and there's no hope for the future. Then you end up with people who are living for the here and now with no thought for the future. And that actually does have some economic implications because we live in a culture where no one wants to save, no one wants to sacrifice in order to have a surplus. Again, we're happy with deficits as far as the eye can see, because we don't actually believe in the future, which is one of the reasons why we're not having children.
Speaker 6: Well, ironically, the people who campaign on climate change, which they say is a threat to the world, call themselves extinction rebellion, by which they're implying that they think the human race should continue on this planet. And they are the same people I suspected would say that the planet is being killed by human beings.
Speaker 2: Right, and so it's somewhat of a nonsensical argument.
Speaker 6: The cultural and the economic I think are heavily intertwined when it comes.
Speaker 2: To this issue.
Speaker 6: Because, of course, as the survey bears out, one of the major causes of this is the cost of having children and the cost of living in general, because if money was no object, you'd be able to have as many children as you wanted. But in the modern world, particularly in western nations, the only place that has a positive birth rate now is sub Saharan Africa. Literally, the rest of the world is not meeting replacement rate. So you follow that through to its logical conclusion, and we'll go back to the original days of human beings when they came from Africa, and they will have to come and colonize the rest of.
Speaker 2: The world again.
Speaker 6: But we have ended up with a society where we are chasing eternal economic growth, and in order to fund that eternal economic growth, everyone has to go to work. And we come back to the argument we were having before about the validity of.
Speaker 2: Stay at home mothers, etc.
Speaker 6: The moment at which it was decided that women should go to work, not just that they should have the option to go to work, but it should be the fault that women do go to work. That was the cultural moment where we all turned around and ended up in this position. Because that was great for governments because it meant they could generate more tax revenue, which is great for them because they can spend more and give more things to more people and pump themselves up, etc. But in doing so, by having more people in the economy, generating more income and paying more tax, it means inflation. And then inflation means that you have to pay more for things, and so you can't afford to be a one income family anymore. I mean, my brother and I and we're both in our twenties, were raised by my parents on one and a quarter incomes. My father worked as a laborer and still works as a council gardener, and my mom did a shift on Saturdays and one on a Thursday night in retail. They weren't making a lot of money. But you know, twenty five years ago you could raise two kids on an income like that. It is impossible today. And I go back to the words of John Howard in two thousand when he said it a speech in London, and these words are in true today. It is important for all of us, whether we are in business or in pos all of us who are concerned about the future of our society, in the cohesion of our society, whether it be in Australia or here in Britain to remember that economic policy, however you define it and however you pursue it, is never some end in itself. That the purpose of economic policy is to produce a social dividend, to achieve social goals. Personal contentment and human fulfillment and the stability and cohesion of society are the ultimate goals of sound economic policy. And he echoed this again in four at his campaign launch when he said that running the economy well only has a purpose if it delivers a human dividend, if it delivers things for the Australian people. That is what we have lost. Sight of the economy no longer serves us.
Speaker 2: We serve the economy and that's why people don't have kids.
Speaker 5: And it is important to note that the only country, the only developed country with a birth rate above replacement rate is Israel. Why because there's a cultural imperative, a security imperative to have children, survival of the Jewish group, but also culturally the first commandment in the Bible is be fruitful and multiply and they take that very seriously. So part of what we need to do as a country is yes, shift the economic policy to make it possible to have children, but also we just need leaders in the public square to talk about how great families are.
Speaker 4: That'll do a lot to change the culture.
Speaker 1: It's funny that point, because I remember Richard Dawkins and some of the new atheists talking about how religion would eventually die out. What they didn't count on was birth rates, because typically it's religious people who have children. Someone who's doing his best to repopulate the earth is Elon Musk. What skept is it ten children, twelve or in the day's twelve. He's doing his bit, that's for sure. But on the other side of things, his relationship with Trump, which has been kind of frosty to say the least, looks like it may be starting to thaw out. Elon Musk tweeted today, I regret some of my posts about President Trump last week.
Speaker 3: They went too far.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: He didn't specify of his posts, whether it was the ones calling for Trump to be what's.
Speaker 3: The word I'm looking for to be.
Speaker 1: Pitched, Yes, impeached, I was gonna say impinged, impeached, or whether it was those tweets linking him with Epstein. But Elon Musk clearly has decided he needs to patch things up, and he found Donald Trump to be quite conciliatory. Trump, when asked about his relationship with Elon Musk and how he was feeling about Musk after Musk had panned him on social media, Listen, look, I wish him well.
Speaker 6: You understand, we had a good relationship, and I just wish him well, very well.
Speaker 1: Actually, And that little message from Trump was posted on x and one of the first people to comment was Elon Musk, who posted a love heart in reply.
Speaker 3: So that's quite nice.
Speaker 1: Fascinatingly, Eryl Musk, Elon's dad was in Russia, of all places, in the last couple of days, where he was speaking at a public event, and he said that Elon acknowledged he had gone too far. Politics wasn't really his thing. He's a great business person, not so good at politics, and he realizes he needs to patch things up. But I mean, the big point of this story is how confused is everybody in the world right now? Do do I buy a cyber truck or do I not buy a cyber truck? The left to confused, the right confused.
Speaker 2: What do we do?
Speaker 6: I mean, this is like a full blown romantic relationship where you know they have an argument after they've been on the piece on a Friday night and they're like, no, it's all over. I never want to see you again after all, never come back, it's all done. And then you come back the next day and they've thrown all your belongings out on the footpath and you trudge and have to go and find a motel to go and stay in.
Speaker 2: Then a few days later you both go.
Speaker 6: Oh, gee, I think we're better together, aren't we.
Speaker 2: We miss that up.
Speaker 3: And then you're very modern because you slowly media.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, and then he isn't a slowly start. I mean, that is exactly what is happening here. I want to know what was going on with Elon Musk last week when he decided to go off his nut, because of course there have been all these all these rumors online that he's into drugs and whatever else. I mean, what on earth possessed him to go off like he did last week and then so quickly realized I overstepped the mark.
Speaker 1: Trump was asked about the whole drug thing, and Trump said, I've never seen it then, and I certainly hope not.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have thought so.
Speaker 1: But Elon Musk's dad when asked what the heck is going on with your son, he just said he's been under a lot of stress. Obviously working the Trump administration with the DOGE program was pretty hectic, and his son basically just flipped out, that's dad's tape.
Speaker 4: I'm not so sure about that, you know, just stress. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Stress doesn't really make you tweet to your two hundred million plus X followers that Donald Trump is involved in the Epstein files, Like that's a pretty calculated targeted attack. But look, I think regardless, Elon has woken up to the fact that he is coming off worse in this conflict. Look at the value of It's been wiped off, Tesla, off his businesses. It's not a good path for him to go down.
Speaker 4: He is losing more.
Speaker 5: He also has about twenty two billion dollars of SpaceX contracts with NASA that Donald Trump seems to have threatened a pool. He threatened a pool. So no one is winning from this conflict. It's like when we talked about the Liberal and National Coalition break up a couple weeks ago. It's like, no one wins from this breakup, Like, let's just get back together, guys.
Speaker 3: Well, The other.
Speaker 1: Interesting part of this story is the Wall Street Journal have leaked that Elon Musk was being monitored by Homeland Security and the Justice Department. This is prior to him working with Trump, but spy agencies in the US were monitoring who was coming and going from his place of residence, particularly foreign contacts. Now, of course, Elon Musk, with SpaceX, has access to highly sensitive government information, so I guess it's no surprise that the White House would be monitoring who's coming and going, or at least spy agencies would be. As I said, this was before his association with Donald Trump and before this Trump administration. Trump's administration was asked about this and they said, we don't know anything about it. But it's just interesting that in the middle of this whole feud with Trump, that this story is now doing the rounds that spy agencies have been watching Elon and who he associates with.
Speaker 6: Indeed, but they started monitoring him in twenty twenty two, and twenty twenty two was when he bought Twitter, which is now X. So yes, you can say, oh, you know, they were keeping an eye on who he was dealing with because it might have some implications for government information, etc. But you do have to wonder how much of it was. Oh God, this guy has just bought one of the biggest social media platforms in the world. We've got a presidential election coming up in two years.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should keep.
Speaker 6: An eye on who the guy is dealing with because it might tell us what he's about to do. And they had good reason to do so. I suppose in that case, because there is a very fair argument to be made that if it weren't for Elon Musk and X, that Trump would have had a much harder job of being re elected.
Speaker 3: Wait, so are you saying that Dems were using US spy agencies for their own political purpose?
Speaker 6: I'm suggesting that, yes, James, I've who would have thought. It's not like they did that to Donald Trump. Isn't it like they used the DOJ to go after Trump to try and prevent him from running. No, it happened when he bought Twitter. What is that to about what's going on? While we're talking about potential foreign infiltration, China seems to be doing a pretty good job of it at the moment, particularly when it comes to the US. We told you on Thursday night about the case of two researchers who'd been trying to smuggle a fungus into the United States that they're going to take to the University of Michigan to work on a project. And this was a crop killing fungus. And you have to ask, why do you need to take a crop killing fungus from China, particularly when one of these researchers is linked to the CCP, one's been arrested, one is currently on the run. Why do you need to take it from China into the US to do research on it? Unless you know, perhaps you were hoping it might get out somewhere a La covid in Wuhan. He could just research it in China, wouldn't you where it was a risk to Chinese crops and not US crops. Well, now they picked up another person, another Chinese national, trying to get into the United States to do research at the University of Michigan after trying to smuggle through biological material. This time they picked up a woman, shin Uan Han, who flew into Detroit just the other day and on at least four occasions she'd been trying to smuggle in round worms or material relating to round worms for some reason or another.
Speaker 2: She says she was going to do research on the University.
Speaker 6: Of Michigan, including between the pages of books.
Speaker 2: Right, so this all has.
Speaker 6: To be declared and you need permission to bring any of this kind of thing into the United States. But it turns out that people in China, including those with links to the CCP, don't have any regard for these rules for some reason, and are trying.
Speaker 2: To get things into the US in books.
Speaker 6: I just cannot, for the life of me work out why they might be doing this.
Speaker 4: It's not suspicious at all.
Speaker 5: It's also not suspicious at all that they're both at the University of Michigan, both dealing in biological sciences and earth matter.
Speaker 4: But there's nothing suspicious about this at all. I'm completely joking, of course.
Speaker 5: But agro terrorism, which is what this is attacks on agriculture and the food supply, has been identified as a serious era of weakness for the United States. They have a very centralized agricultural sector, so it's something like fifty meat processing plants ninety eight percent of US beef. Their farmland is largely unguarded and open to the public, and when these diseases actually take a root in agriculture. They often can spread very rapidly without being detected. So while we laugh about the mysterious fungus and the worm, this is a very serious threat to the US. Farming is five point five percent of US GDP twenty million jobs.
Speaker 4: A successful attack on US.
Speaker 5: Farmland would debilitate the food supply but also the economy and wreak havoc on the country. So it's very concerning, and it is just another front in the multi dimensional Cold war we're already in with China.
Speaker 3: You mentioned multidimensional.
Speaker 1: This has been going on for some years with Chinese students in the US linked to.
Speaker 3: The Communist Party.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty two, Chinese students whore arrested for filming a naval base in Florida. In twenty twenty two, a student from China was sentenced to eight years jail for trying to steal classified information from me US defense contractor. In twenty twenty four, speaking of the University of Michigan, five Chinese students from that university indicted by theba FBI for filming joint US Taiwan military exercises.
Speaker 3: Don't forget we had the spy.
Speaker 1: Balloons just drifting over mainland United States when Joe Biden was president, and it was at last month that they found transmitters Chinese transmitters in solar batteries that had been sent to the United States. So this is a very real threat and little wonder the Trump administration has talked tough on Chinese students, and of course this is about Chinese people, it's about the Chinese Communist Party.
Speaker 3: But clearly there is a.
Speaker 1: Problem with students linked to the Chinese Communist Party in America operating in Clandestein.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and it definitely adds to the impetus for the Western world to really ramp up expenditure on military. But one of the common problems seems like every defense force is running.
Speaker 4: Into is slow recruitment.
Speaker 5: We've had our issues here in Australia where about four three hundred people short of our authorized defense force capacity.
Speaker 4: But over in the UK.
Speaker 5: They're also experiencing a similar issue, and now a leaked memo designed to head to Downing Street has shown that they're actually planning to expand who can fill defense force jobs to other people in the Commonwealth. So currently fifteen percent of the trained strength of the regular Army, which is about seventy thousand people can be from Commonwealth countries. They want to apply that fifteen percent cap to the target goal, so that would open up about three hundred and thirty jobs in the Defense Force to applicants who are not British citizens but who are from other Commonwealth countries. Now this seems a little radical, why would you have non citizens in your army. But we've done the same thing in Australia, So now we're kind of in this weird position where we're all competing for the same people because none of us have big enough populations who are willing to sacrifice or who can meet the health requirements or the fitness requirements to actually get into the army.
Speaker 1: You know what I thought when I saw this story, I thought it totally makes sense for the British Army to open up recruitment to the wider Commonwealth because from what I've seen of much of the population of the UK, I reckon they might get more loyalty from outside of England around the Commonwealth from people inside the UK.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, yes, unless, of course it's the Islamic forces that are going off to war. But I mean there's seventy three odd thousand people in the United Kingdom military right now. That is the smallest it's been in three hundred years. I mean, I'm not sure what the population was three hundred years ago, but you can be damned sure it's a lot less than the sixty five seventy million people who live in the UK today, and it is the lowest it's been in three hundred years. I mean, we are sitting ducks. And I say we, the Royal we the West are sitting ducks when it comes.
Speaker 2: To this stuff. And the reason they've kept.
Speaker 6: Commonwealth entrance to a minimum is because, of course, you know, other countries may at some point say well, actually we want our soldiers back, or we don't want you deploying them to X, y Z. So they've tried to keep the number as small as possible so they can have as much control of the military as possible. But if you can't get people to enlist, you have a serious problem. And that's why, you know, I made a lax joke about Islam before, but this is a major problem for Western countries now when you have cultural disconnects between people who have emigrated to Western nations and haven't been fully integrated into them. You're never going to convince them to go to war for that country. So hence you have a situation now where children are told that the countries they live in are illegitimate. Countries are being filled with people who have no real connection to thee they have moved to. Is it any wonder you can't get people to sign up for the military.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great point. Just quickly before we go to a break. Just something regarding energy policy in this country that I haven't heard many people talk about, but it prompted my thinking when I read about Amazon spending twenty billion dollars building data centers, a couple of new data centers in Pennsylvania. What was intriguing is that one of their new data centers will be built directly adjacent to a nuclear power plant. Now, these data centers, there's about one hundred and fifty one hundred and seventy currently in Australia, it might be over two hundred. Actually, they use an inordinate amount of power each data center, equivalent to about the power that will be required to light up fifty thousand homes. Currently in Australia, data centers used five percent of our grid. They predict but by twenty thirty, data centers could be using fifteen percent of the power generated in this country.
Speaker 3: With AI and data.
Speaker 1: Being the new growth area right around the world, it just struck me that Australia is ill equipped for this. If data centers are going to continue propagating around the country so we can keep up economically and technologically with other nations, gee, we need to think about that regarding the energy grid, because data centers will be competing with industry with households, and it seems to me we are very ill prepared for that.
Speaker 2: Well, we won't be able to keep up.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, down in Victoria, you've got twenty five percent of the Lawn coal five power station's gone offline because of course we don't need coal anymore. Right, So here we are in a situation where in the middle of winter or at the start of winter, you know, we could have people in Victoria not being able to turn the lights on.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, in the rest of.
Speaker 6: The world they're ramping up nuclear and saying this is the future because it's the only way we can get enough power to do the things of the future. I mean, we look, our military is as bad as the UK we may as well just tell Jijing Pinca and take the jo because we're not doing anything with it.
Speaker 2: It's serious.
Speaker 3: Let's hope Jijiping is not watching the program. We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, a mother begs police lock up my thirteen year old boy. I can't control him. It's in the papers. We'll look at it in just a moment.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the program.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow, so you hear it here. First, The Canberra Times has got an interesting Bob cattarant on the front page. Kata slams public holiday. Apparently it's a holiday in Canberra territory.
Speaker 3: Tokenism, he says.
Speaker 1: MP Bob Kat has unleashed on the Act government for observing Reconciliation Day, describing the public holiday, which is unique to the territory, as a disgraceful display of backslapping tokenism. He says, while Indigenous people are dying at an average age of forty nine, Canberra takes a day off. Instead of closing the gap, they're closing the office. He says, it's an insult dressed up as empathy. Reconciliation Day was first initiated in the Act back in twenty eighteen as a celebration of the nineteen sixty seven referendum where Indigenous people were included in the census. Bob kattamakes the point that that referendum gave Canbra the ability to overrule states when it came to dealing with Indigenous people, and having gotten that power.
Speaker 3: What do they do with it?
Speaker 1: They give themselves a public holiday while Indigenous people's conditions continue to get worse. What they do on this day, Freyer is it's all about truth telling, knowledge sharing and healing, and so Canberians ll get a day off. As I said, it's the only place in the country, but does nothing to help even a single Indigenous person.
Speaker 5: All those bureaucrats, they've just got a lot of healing to do in their souls.
Speaker 4: I really do believe that did so.
Speaker 2: It was truth telling, healing, knowledge sharing.
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, and I'm sure the public holiday has nothing about getting on the turp side.
Speaker 2: That doesn't.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, what do you think people do with public holidays? For heaven say, no one's getting around Canberra on Reconciliation Day during the truth tilling and healing. They're drinking lots of grog, like anyone does in the public holidays.
Speaker 5: So ridiculous. Moving on to the Daily Telly. Now the headline is lock up my kid. A mother has pleaded for police to discipline her teenage son after he broke into a local business twice.
Speaker 4: On the state's mid North coast.
Speaker 5: The woman said she was stunned to discover there were no consequences when her thirteen year old was arrested for the second time, saying I even said, surely you need to put him in the watchhouse for a few hours. It comes as the Men's government reviews Dolly incapacts the legal presumption that children age ten to fourteen do not sufficiently understand right and wrong. Now this is really interesting because the left is on this issue. Try to argue, oh no, but the children have no idea what they're doing. Okay, broke it into a store twice the mother. The mother says, please discipline my son, and the courts are going, nah, let him out, Like this is how a youth crime crisis starts New South Wales.
Speaker 1: Exactly that there's a lot of experts giving parenting advice, and you just wonder whether many of those experts are actually parents themselves, because parents know what's going on.
Speaker 3: This story actually reminded me that I'm making light.
Speaker 1: I'm sure this instance looks very serious, but I remember one of my mates when we were all kids. He stole something from a shop and the shop owner set the kid down, rang his mum and said, can you come and collect your kid? And she said, no, no, I won't come and collect him if he stolen property.
Speaker 3: Why would you ring me? Wouldn't you ring the police?
Speaker 1: And she allowed the police to go down to the shop, absolutely refurking.
Speaker 3: It was my mate. He was scared witless. I don't think he ever stole anything ever.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm not surprised by that.
Speaker 6: And that's sort of what we've lost in the world these days, as is proper discipline and community, you know, where you could actually pick up the phone to some kid's parent and say, oh, what's his son doing. But we've lost discipline. We've lost it from classrooms in many cases, not entirely, but in many cases we've lost it from homes. And look, you would have to be pretty desperate as a parent to be pleading with the court to discipline your child, like you know, often we talk about why what are these kids doing, where are the parents, etc. But if you've got a mum saying like I need the court to do something about it, clearly he is behaving beyond her capacity to discipline him, or he's just not responding to discipline and she is saying he needs something serious. Let's go to the courier mail speaking of places where, of course they've had problems with youth crime Queensland, but this is a problem of a different kind, doesn't just apply to Queensland. I suspect this is a story that will be talked about a great deal tomorrow. Slip slop, slap in the face is the headline. Australians are buying big brand sunscreens fifty plus but are actually getting products with alarmingly lower levels of protection, sparking an urgent call for a government probe into product compliance. But total of sixteen out of twenty products an las by consumer group Choice did not meet the SBA fifty claims, with some testing as low as four. Even sunscreen sold by the Cancer Council did not offer the level of protection promise, with a spokesman saying they were very concerned and you would be very concerned because you'd think when you're putting on your fifty plus sunscreen that you are doing everything to protect yourself. But in many you were probably getting a level of protection. But in many cases, if not most cases, it would seem you're not getting the protection you were promised or you thought you were getting.
Speaker 1: It's a big story for the career mail when you look at the rates of skin cancers cap alte Bit Queensland, where it's taken very very seriously for this sort of news about what's going on with these products is pretty shocking.
Speaker 2: Proof that subscreen does work.
Speaker 6: During this summer, I went to the beach and I was supid enough to put the sunscreen on myself. I didn't get it put on my back, and I was sitting at dinner that night and I'm like, bloody hell, I'm.
Speaker 2: All burning up my back.
Speaker 6: So I took my shirt off and had a look in the mirror and there was dead set the handpreat where my hand had been able to get to with the sunscreen. So it does work, but maybe just not as well as you.
Speaker 5: You can always tell the groups of young single men at the beach because they they're all covered everywhere, And then you see their bags and they're completely lovest. It I particularly poor form coming from the Cancer Council, but yeah, wow. Moving on to the Herald Sun now the headline is cruel cop out. Victoria Police is refusing a state coroner's request for battered women to be warned when their violent partners are getting out of jail, claiming it does not have the resources to alert them. Now, this is really concerning because I totally understand if your partner has been locked away for domestic violence or something of that sort, you, as the partner that's been abused, would want and I think have every right to know when they're getting out of jail. And I can't understand, in the world of AI and technology, I don't understand how hard it is to just automatically alert close affiliates of these people when they're getting out, Like, how hard is it?
Speaker 1: And for police to say, look, we're so sorry, but we just don't have time to ensure the protection of women who've already been victims of domestic violence just beggars belief. If you can't protect women in your society, you must us give up the game.
Speaker 3: What are they doing?
Speaker 2: How much of a failed staate can you be.
Speaker 6: I mean, Victoria is texting people up the wazoo with the land text and in this emergency services.
Speaker 2: Levy that they've just put on.
Speaker 6: They've got nearly two hundred billion dollars in debt and they can't find a few bucks to come up with a system to alert victims of domestic violence that the offenders have been released from prison.
Speaker 2: Just a disgrace.
Speaker 1: They've got money millions actually for truth telling and for treaty. However, so that shows where the priorities are. Let's go to Tasmania. The front page of the Mercury says, now it's on. That is another election for Tasmanians. They'll be thrilled going back to the polls in less than what was it, seventeen months since they were last there. Tasmania will have its second election within sixteen months. After two days of talks failed to break a political deadlock. Premier Jeremy Rockcliffe visited Governor Barbara Baker shortly.
Speaker 3: After six pm last night.
Speaker 1: This is of course tomorrow's paper, so for you watching right now at six pm this afternoon, and a statement was issued shortly afterwards on behalf of the Governor revealing the election date so the Liberal Party, unable to sort themselves, the Tasmanian public will go back to the polls.
Speaker 6: I'm sure that's what people in Tasmania really want to. Oh yeah, like a hole in the head on the front of the odds tomorrow, says Liberals. Pursuito reject Deeming's ultimatum, a dramatic offer from more redeeming to diffuse the crisis engulfing the Victorian Liberal Party in John Pursuto, but defering most of his legal debt for two years in return for guaranteeing her pre selection and receiving an official party apology has collapsed. She offered this up to the party and they have failed to get back to her in time, so it's now done for. And you know, I get what she's trying to do, but pre selection should be a decision of the members, So I'm not sure you can demand that. But on the other hand, is the Liberal Party really in any position to be dealing with this at the moment?
Speaker 2: Just get it off the books.
Speaker 5: They need to come to some sort of a deal. They cannot have a by election because Perzuto's forced out.
Speaker 4: Of parliament because he's bankrupt. That is the worst outcome for everyone.
Speaker 3: Are we to go to a break, but stick around.
Speaker 1: You've got to hear about our Dope of the day. This guy, a police officer, threatens to ruin work from home for everybody. We'll tell you what he's beat up to, or rather not up.
Speaker 3: To in just a moment. Welcome back to the program.
Speaker 1: But we're going to begin with one of our favorite segments, our Dope of the Day. Tonight's ward goes to a UK copper, Constable Liam Reeks, who's been found guilty of gross misconduct and banned from ever walking working for the police force for the rest of his life.
Speaker 3: The guy was working from home.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure why a copper works from home, but the police decided to do an audit of key strokes for all those officers working from home, and what they found was Constable Reeks, well, his activity was significantly higher than all of his colleagues. So they investigated and they found what he'd done was opened a blank word document and then used a weight to depress the character z and do this for four to five hours every day to make it look like he was working.
Speaker 3: In fact, over the space of.
Speaker 1: Four months, he did this for one hundred and three hours. During the tribunal hearing, he complained that he was stressed. I just thought he should have said he was indicating that he was sleeping by pressing these the button. Here at the late debate, we've managed to get hold of an apology letter he wrote to the police force.
Speaker 3: Here it is. We can just get it up on screen. There there it is. That's the app to the police force.
Speaker 1: Obviously we're joking, but of course all of this was as most world events are prefigured by the Simpsons.
Speaker 6: Couldn't you be working?
Speaker 2: I've got someone to cover for me, hey, quest because you're down manually, stupid bird. I never should have put you a joge my old job.
Speaker 3: There you go, Fred, that's our dope of the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he really does ruin? What king from Home for everyone.
Speaker 5: I've heard about people doing this, but he really did it.
Speaker 4: What an idiot.
Speaker 5: There's a singer though that I.
Speaker 4: Kind of like.
Speaker 5: He's released some very popular songs over the years. His name is Pitbull. He's this bold guy. He's middle aged man. But there's this new trend where people show up at his concerts dressed.
Speaker 4: As Pitbull in the bold caps.
Speaker 5: It's so funny, but people, Rifle is really moved by this show of solidarity and support that he's receiving from his fans.
Speaker 8: Music is being as powerful it is, and given that outlet, that escapism, it's like therapy. You know, you don't know what a person's going through in their life, and for me to see it, it's an honor. It makes me very, very happy. And every time that I'm at the shows, I let him know it. When you'll put on those ball caps, I hope you are ready to have the time in your life.
Speaker 5: Putting on bold caps and dressing up as a middle aged man. That is the therapy young people need.
Speaker 3: I don't get it at all.
Speaker 6: I'm not a great fan of Pitbull, but I've been reading some of his lyrics in the ad break and what's this name? I'll check your pipes. Oh you the healthy type. I don't think I can read the rest of it, but there you go.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, now I get it.
Speaker 1: That's all from us stick around coming up because the read a penny show, good Night