Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, the podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mumer TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube and podcasts obviously like this one on Instagram, and threads and TikTok and books like our upcoming book, Twelve Months to Financial Freedom. Hello, Canna, good morning, how are you. I'm going very well. A very topical episode today property investing, which has changed a little bit this year, Hasn't it just a wee bit When people talk about property investing in Australia, the conversation has always gone towards negative gearing, just because it's been such a key part of that landscape. Right, It's not the case anymore, it's not the case that that is the first thing that you think. Now the landscape for property investment in Australia has changed. So today I want to talk to you, obviously, that's why we're in the studio together to get an idea basically of how you can still make property investing work for you, and I suspect got a little hunch that it might have something to do with passive income rather than the negative gearing and the tax incentives. We love our passive income, we certainly do. Okay, let's get into it. And of course this is not financial advice, no one whatsoever. So if you hear something here that you go, okay, all right, that makes a lot of sense to me, and I'll look into that. Speak to a professional, Go and see a financial planner who can give you some advice that is tailored to your circumstances. Property investing, is it still a valid way to build wealth in Australia?
Speaker 2: I believe so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The way that you do it is most important, not necessarily that it you know, it's property or not. It's not a black and white question. I think the strategy, the approach, the ultimate goal has now changed with the federal budget.
Speaker 1: Okay. As far as maybe let's deal with negative gearing, okay, first, okay, yeah, because it's not completely off the table, is it maybe explained to us how negative gearing worked previously, because it's it still does exist.
Speaker 2: Okay, So negative gearing is essentially where holding an investment asset costs you. So say I go and buy a million dollar investment property, and I receive, say fifty thousand dollars a year in rent, but I'm paying out seventy thousand dollars a year in interest, is technically costing me twenty thousand dollars. Now, previously, you know, if I had bought that property prior to budget Night, I'd be able to claim the twenty thousand dollars off my tax as a deduction. Going forward, if I bought that after budget Night, I wouldn't be able to claim that off my tax, assuming it's not a new build, and even going forward with the new builds, it's actually quarantined to the rental income, so you can only actually offset that negative like cashow negative against other rental income. You can't use it to take off as a deduction off, say your salary. So it's a significant change in the landscape and also the terms and conditions of the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and I think for the purposes of this conversation, we'll just look at kind of how it works from now on one rather than those who already hold investment properties, because the way that negative gearing works is largely unchanged for those who have already been in the system prior to the changes being introduced by the budget.
Speaker 2: And that's really important because I think a lot of headlines obviously are confusing people. So I've even had people reach out to me and say, oh, do I need to sell my negatively geared property right now because these rules. I'm like, well, hang on. Obviously not advice, but you can still keep going with what you've got in place prior to budget night. So people do need to understand how these rules impact them, and some people it doesn't impact them at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that means there are obviously loopholes and exemptions here, and they are really related to new properties.
Speaker 2: New builds, so you know, a new apartment, a new townhouse, you know, a new house. So it's it's a really interesting time because you think, you know, when do I look at something that's brand new, it's often really really expensive. And this is what worries me is that you know, perhaps people are going to be overpaying just to be able to access that negative gearing benefit, which is the worst reason to make an investment decision purely based on the tax But you know it is it is a bit of a red herring in this.
Speaker 1: That's actually that is a really really good point. The fact that I mentioned at the start of the show that as soon as we talk property investing, everyone just jumps straight to kind of negative gearing that there is this tax benefit. But it doesn't matter whether we're having this conversation ten years ago or now. Really the goal should be further ahead than the immediate tax incentives now, right, If you are investing in property, you should be looking ahead to the future value of that property, to the rent that that's going to bring in, and the potential for passive income.
Speaker 2: The opportunity for long term capital growth, and how it's going to work towards your goals. That's really, you know what's most important here.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into the passive income side of this. When people say passive income through property, what are we actually talking about?
Speaker 2: Typically it's the rent. So if you have an investment property that's a residential investment property, you know they're paying rent. You know, if you say have land like you know for adjustment, which means you put cattle on it, and you know a farmer might pay to rent that land, you know, that's obviously an income stream. It might be like a commercial property might be an industrial property. You know, it's all comes to you in rent. The more rench you receive, the more passive income you're receiving.
Speaker 1: All right, what is it then that makes a property good for income for passive income rather than growth? And I suppose I don't know why I'm necessarily doing it as an either all because it doesn't need to be an either or you can have a property that is going to increase in value over time as well as being good for passive income, But what are the features of a property that's going to potentially deliver you that passive revenue stream?
Speaker 2: So this is I think something that people really do underestimate or overlook. Perhaps if you're going to be buying an investment property, you want consistency. You know, you want a long term tenant in between tenants, particularly if it's a bad time of the year, say Christmas time, Easter, school holidays, or you know, if it's out of season, like it's you know, a seasonal spot and it's winter time and you don't have people there, that can really be really, really detrimental. The other thing is is obviously making sure that you're getting that rental increase happening. Now. I know this is a bit of a source bo because obviously people are renting annoyed with rents going up. It's frustrating. But you know, if the value of the property is going up, well will the rent go up with it consistently over time? The reason why I say that there is a you know, there are people out there who have a property or properties and the rent hasn't actually increased with the value of the property. And that's why some people is actually cheaper to rent than it is to go and buy that property. So those are the sorts of things that you take into consideration. There's also you know, the holding cost of property as well that do actually eat into the actual gross income that you receive. So all those outgoing expenses like the strata, the insurance, you know, the property manager if you have one, the wear and tear, and of course you know the interest. So there's all these sort of come into play. But the two key most important things is consistency and an increase like long term growth of that rental income. You know, I take that example of that million dollar property, what if ten years later I'm still only getting you know, fifty thousand dollars a year in re That's not an efficient use of your money, is it, No, especially when I can to put that million dollars it's maybe grown a vale. Yes, And that does come into it. If we're purely talking income here, it's kind of an important factor that you need to be paying attention to.
Speaker 1: Okay, when I was talking before about negative gearing, that is almost an immediate benefit, right, you see, it's a tax incentive, and that's going to benefit you within the next kind of twelve months. Right. Can property genuinely produce meaningful income early on? Or are we talking here when we're talking about passive income. It's more of a long game, right, So it's not this is something that you need to kind of look, this is a future play. Is that that's fair to say?
Speaker 2: Yes? You know, with these these changes, it changes the approach and it is going to change our behavior around investing in property, you know, because of course you know, things like capital games, tax as well, and then of course all the stamp duty, all the expenses of getting into the market. This is no longer a market where you're sort of jumping in and out of property obviously with the exception of a principal place of residence, you know, But for an investment point of view, no, this is very much now long term buy and hold because you know, especially if you buy a property initially, you can still technically negatively gear it. No one's stopping you from doing that. However, the banks have come out and said, obviously they're going to be a lot stricter now going forward with negatively gear properties. But just the only thing is you can't claim that twenty thousand dollars loss they use that example off your tax. You just have to wear it. So it's not efficient anymore. And there will be some people who don't care that still works for them. They don't they're not worried because it's all part of a long term play. So it still will exist, but it's going to be used and approached very very differently, all right.
Speaker 1: I think what I'm what I'm also trying to get at is that this is almost a mindset change, right, that this is not something that you are doing as a short term strategy, but it is going to be something that you are going to reap the rewards of further down the track. Where is that tipping point between a property that has been essentially negatively geared or you might be losing money on it because the amount that you're paying to the bank in interest is more than what you are bringing in in rent. When does that then flip to become positively geared, when you actually start to create revenue and actually start to generate passive income from that property.
Speaker 2: So this is the exciting part. It really boils down to you as the investor and your situation and what you're capable of doing and what you ultimately want to do. So if you have a property it's negatively geared, and you can obviously start working on that strategy to pay it down yourself. You can start making extra payments to create more equity in that loan, pay down the loan so that more and more of the rent that's coming in isn't just servicing the interest, it's starting to actually pay down the principle. That's when we see it say it's cash flow positive or at the very least cash flow neutral. So that is when the rent coming in equals the cost of the interest. So that property that's rented out for fifty thousand dollars a year, I start slowly chipping away at that million dollar loan. For example, You know the cost of that interest is no longer seventy thousand dollars, it's say fifty thousand. Is breaking even? That is what I'm talking about. He who's been cash flow neutral. If I want to make it cash flow positive, obviously I need to keep chipping away at that loan. Now how long that takes or how much money that's going to involve It is obviously boils down to what's the size of the loan, what's the interest you're paying, what's the terms and conditions. Is it a twenty five year loan? Is it a thirty year loan? Is it principle an interest? All these sorts of things come in. And this is where the big thing with this these huge changes is more than ever before, people are going to be leaning on financial planners, accountants, and mortgage brokers for really good quality advice as to what to do. And it's not going to be setting forget. There's going to be tweaks and changes to the overall strategy to get them to where they want to be. And it's going to force people to really look at their goals here and a lot of people are going to have to adjust their goals to perhaps being now more passive income driven.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a lot more that I want to discuss. I want to kind of find out what risks people perhaps underestimate, and also a little bit more about the potential and who else might be suited to property investing in this new world of investing. Back in a moment, can we've been talking about property investing for passive income now that negative gearing is no longer the feature of the investing landscape that it was. Interest only loans you mentioned just before about whether you're paying principle plus interest on your loan. Interest only loans going to be a thing of the past now that there isn't this tax incentive really to just be focusing on the interest.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a very fluid situation, and the banks seems to be bouncing around with their rates, with their rules and regulations that they have to adhere to. You know, how much you know, there's there's I mean, it's quite complicated, it's quite political and economic. But so I won't go into too much detail, but it's definitely going to be harder to get these types of loans. But it's really going to boil down to the rate that you're able to secure and what is best for your cash flow situation. And there are going to be people who are in a situation where actually having interest only does still work for them. You know, you can still have an interest only loan and still have a cash flow positive property, right yeah, okay, so Jim, sure please take take that through it, I'd say. We'll say, for example, I have, you know, this million dollar investment property, and say I have a four hundred thousand dollars loan on that. I'm earning fifty thousand dollars a year in rent from the million dollar property, but I've only got a four hundred thousand dollar loan. So obviously the interest rate on that four hundred thousand dollar loan is mostly going to be less than what I'm receiving in rent. So therefore it's still cash flow positive. And this is why the banks will look at it, you know, as they do case by case. What is the situation behind this and also what's backing that loan? You know, is there a fleet of investment properties behind this particular person, you know, or is there huge amounts of equity elsewhere you can't just put this generic, blank, one size fits all rule. It's very circumstantial and situational. And also on that note of going interest only, is it still exists because for some people in certain situations where maybe they're going through financial hardship or they are you know, they're having a family, and then the bank approves this, they might say, well, okay, to help keep the loans in place, not put you in a position where you're forced to sell. You know, the numbers stack up to be able to flick you to investment only interest only sorry for say a twelve month period in most get you through the cash with the cash flow.
Speaker 1: Okay. In most cases, though, if you are working towards a goal of generating passive income through your investment property, most people with that goal are probably going to be paying principle and interest, aren't they in order just to get that loan down so that eventually the rent that they're bringing in exceeds the amount they're paying out an interest.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you will, you would ideally if that's your goal to create that equity, to create that passive income, you want that loan coming down. However, this is the other thing. It's there's a lot more nuances in this than people realize from a surface level. There are situations where people may not actually be able to be approved for that loan on the P and I numbers. They can only get approved under interest only. Now, with interest only, Just because the bank has put you on an interest only doesn't mean you follow that prescription. You can still treat that investment loan as a principal and interest loan. So even though my interest for payments may be fifty thousand dollars a year, I can still chip away at that lone you own, make them sixty thousand dollars a year, and start bringing that loan down. And that can be particularly valuable once your interest only loan terms and conditions have expired, because then the bank looks at it go will actually you've been behaving in a manner with your cash flow in that is actually principal interest. It's a very smooth transition.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it is a very good case for speaking to a mortgage broker.
Speaker 2: And not just a mortgage broker, an experienced mortgage broker.
Speaker 1: That's really important, Okay in terms of the overall picture of property investing. Now, what risks do you think people perhaps underestimate because I mean, for so many people, property is still the most tangible form of investment. Right. You can buy you can buy shares, right, but you're essentially owning something on paper, right. You invest in property. You can walk down the street and you can touch what you have put your hard earned money into. And so there is still this upties and to the ego, yeah it does, but also a form of security, yeah as well, because we can actually physically keep an eye on our investment. We can also buy what we know because we know certain streets or we know suburbs, and we know the banks that loan us the money for and all this kind of stuff. Right, But there's risks still here involved in it. Are there things that people underestimate? Do you think?
Speaker 2: I think there's a risk of being too tunnel visioned. You know, these negative gearing rules are just applying to residential property. You can still negatively geared commercial property, industrial property, rural property, so you know, you can very get caught up in this and think residential property residential property only. Of course, then there's the liquidity risk you know of property, as we all know, takes time to sell and it's very expensive. You've got to pay an illusted agent rather a large amount of commission. There's obviously the legal fees, bank fees. You know, it very quickly adds up. And you know it's if you aren't getting the price that you want, perhaps you thought it was worth more than what you originally estimated. That can be a bit of a root shock. You've got to hold out for that price. Well may not even get it at all. And you know there's the holding costs, which we touched on already. There are a lot of risks. You know, we probably here all day talking about the risks, and you know, being in between tenants, the you know, the wear and tear alone, even the special strata levies. You know, I shared, I think I've shared with you about what happened Tom and I and like I'm talking a significant six figure like and not a low six figure like like you'd kind of want to bomb it like, And it was exceptionally stressful and it still is actually exceptionally stuff because the problems are still going, you know, and the apartment was unlivable literally had to be deconstructed, like you know, and it's as I've said, you know, whenever I go for a walk around that area. There are so many apartment blocks going through. Now what we went through, scaffolding all the way through tenants. Everyone's had to move out of the building. You know, we saw what happen with that horrendous apartment block in home Bush. You know, you know people can say, you know, sell all the clothes. In fact, I remember someone saying to me, you should sell all the clothes off off your back and just just to get into property. It's the only way you can make money. That's not true, Like, there are lots of ways to make money. Property. Residential property is not the be all and end all, and hopefully the blessing in disguise behind this, not that I agree with the changes, but perhaps is to get people to start looking at other asset classes and maybe diversifying more.
Speaker 1: Okay, if someone does want to still explore property investing, though, yeah, what is the first step, and particularly with that passive income focus right looking towards the future.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously it's to start saving. But I think when you once you've started saving, you can actually see all right, I'm building, I'm getting there with my deposit. Go and speak to a mortgage broker. They will give you a really and a good mortgage broker. They will give you an idea as to what you can afford and what your budget is and what are the mortgage or payments going to look like. And you might get them and go, oh my good, and there's no way I want that's that responsibility or that's going to dent my cash flow too much, or I can't maintain any type of lifestyle with that responsibility. Having that's really important because then you go, okay, I need to either save more or I need to you know, maybe the goal of buying property to delay it or extend it a little bit. So that's really important. Then of course doing your research. You make so much of your money when you buy, particularly with property, you know, because if you can buy well, of course, then that growth there is going to be a lot sooner for you. So getting to know the real estate agents in the area that you want to buy, asking them, you know, particularly this is for an investment purpose, ask them what a rent is wanting. Do they want a bathtub because a lot of young families you know, are renting these types of properties, or is a lot of sort of elderly people that want say a level floor, no steps, or they need the importance of a lift. If you're going to be buying property, residential property, you've got to think of it as a business. You know, yes, you're an investor, but this is also a business. You're creating a product, a product to house people. So what do my dream tenants look like? What do they want? Because if you can create something that's in demand, obviously that's going to mean that the property is rented out on a regular basis. You've got strong rentals coming in. Obviously you can put the rent out when appropriate, of course, and you know it's going to obviously increase in value and you'll get a good quality tendant in there that takes care of the property for you. So understanding in the demographics is really important.
Speaker 1: We could do a whole series on property investing and investing more broadly, and maybe look, we should the point that you made about this encouraging people to look at other asset classes. It's given me some ideas for future episodes that I think into in a little bit more detail. All Right, If people want more information from you, where do we find you?
Speaker 2: I always feel free to reach out to me at Instagram, at sugar Mama TV or Canna Campbell Official.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news you can use. Thank you for listening to how do they Afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. And the very best thing that you can do is tell somebody else if you think that they might be interested in this particular topic, send them a link to this episode, and as well, don't forget to keep an eye out for twelve months to Financial Freedom, our book that's coming out on the first of September. Pre Orders are now available. Thank you for your company. Join us again next week