Speaker 1: Welcome to the Code NRL Show as always Dave Rickio with Brent Reid and Tyson Jackson. Let's get into it. Biggest story of the year.
Speaker 2: Payne Hears to the South Sydney Rabbit os the contract done in stealth like mission by Paynhars and his management.
Speaker 1: I'm still wrapping my head around this.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many rumors and speculation about why pain Ass is leaving. He's now addressed the situation via an in house club interview. I'm always a little bit skeptical over an in house club interview Fellas. However, that has happened over in the UK. Paynes explained his situation and basically has attempted to water down everything that's been suggested on why he's leaving. He says he loves the club and basically he's doing it for his family. How are we seeing it? It came as a huge bombshell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a big, big story. Day broke on Sunday by Mickey Carianas. He got the tip and we firmed up got it out there. I think it shocked everyone. Look, I mean a lot of talk about pain situation and why it's happened. As you mentioned. It has been talk about his relationship with Madge training too hard. You know Wayne Bennett, Wayn Bennett's influence on the whole situation. I don't think you can underestimate the relationship between Pain and Wayn Bennett. It's been long standing. Wayne gave me a start. The story has been told that naughs him about how Paine was in a car with his father heading to the airport to join the Melbourne Storm. Wayne rings him and says, get yourself to Redhill. His signs with the Broncos makes us to be under Wayne, and they've had a long standing relationship. They stayed in touch, and Pain explained today it's also about family and new challenges. And look got to take him to his word, Dave. I mean I spoke at length to his manager yesterday and he said similar things. This is all about Wayne Bennett and Pain looking for fresh challenges. And he raised a good point, David. People want to talk about Pain being frustrated potentially with the the regime under Michael mcguen. How hard it is. This is a guy who his whole life has been hard work. I mean his dad when he was a teenager was getting him doing roadrun road runs to get him ready for his first grade career. This is the guy has never been afraid of hard work. No one in the NRL works harder, I would argue than Payn Hass. So that sort of I can understand their view that that that rumor, that hypothesis doesn't stack up, because it probably doesn't. Because if you're want a bloke who's not a verse or afraid of hard work, it's Payin.
Speaker 2: Hasf one thing surprised me, and again I need a little bit more convincing on this is that In your interview with Paynehas's manager, Amed Merhe he explained the overwhelming motivation of what you've.
Speaker 1: Just explained was Wayne Bennett.
Speaker 2: Today on the in House Club interview with pain Ass, Payne explains that the overriding reason was family.
Speaker 3: We can't give Wayne too much for a rap Kenny because that would that would know, because that would them reflect on his current coach. Don't you think if he's coming out going I wanted to play for Wayne Bennett. He's the greatest coach in the government.
Speaker 1: Manager has already done it.
Speaker 3: I know he has. But if Pain's coming out on and as you said, it's a Broncos in house video and going Wayne Bennett got me too, Sydney. I want to play Underwayne. That doesn't look great for it should.
Speaker 4: Just be like Payins won Set of Origin with Madge. He's won a premiership of Madge. How much more can they do together at the end of the day. You know, Wayne was Paint's first four complo.
Speaker 5: Another way, he wants he wants a challenge and anyone.
Speaker 4: I had a massive chat with Pain last year about his relationships and what he has going on in Sydney and he's still just as much here.
Speaker 5: As he is over in Brisbane.
Speaker 4: You know, Like I have no doubt that family played a big part because there's always been the amount of work that that bloke does with you know, his his siblings and.
Speaker 5: He's got he's got a family of his own.
Speaker 4: Like it's it's pretty amazing the age that he is as well and the responsibility that he's taken on. It does not surprise me one bit that there is a massive overarching theme of family here. But like you said, Wayne Bennett was probably the the selling point and everything else just made the decision easier.
Speaker 3: And he's taught himself to Wayne and he's got to get out, get out of option, tied to Wayne's future at South and Wayne's only got one year left at South Sydney and talks of an extension. Paines tied himself to that. So you know, I tend to take pain at his word.
Speaker 2: He's an honest guy. He's not like I'm not saying I'm not saying he's being dishonest. I'm not saying that at all.
Speaker 4: I just think that the rumors about the coaching stuff and situation like he's he had matched before he was at the Broncos. He had madged at the Broncos. I don't know how all of a sudden there's all these rumors that there's there's this overarching issue in manage because.
Speaker 2: He's the premieri front rower and happy players stay to play under the.
Speaker 1: Coach that they love playing under.
Speaker 5: He wants a challenge. That's that's what's pushing.
Speaker 2: That's how I'm the biggest believer in coaches have the ultimate influence over the place.
Speaker 3: I can understand why the rumor is a bit like you, Dave, I can understand my first reaction when we got the news on Sunday was was drama here because a the Broncos don't traditionally lose players and want to keep and b He's a powerful club that is going to continue to contend for years to come. If you're really happy, why would you leave? Right? So my reaction is the same. Initial reaction was the same as yours. But having spoken to his agent and sat back and considered it, right, I can see that pain potentially is looking at something. I mean, Wayne's obviously we've all dealt with Wayne Bennett. Man. Wayne Bennett sits you down the room. He's a pretty convincing guy to be like, he can make your bullet leave in anything, right, so I can't. And they have a very close relationship. And Latrell's been in his ear, Dave for Fea's been in his ear telling him how good Souse is. I'm sure at the same time they go, mate, get yourself out of Brisbane. It's a fish bowl. Get yourself to Sous. You know you'll love it here. And I'm sure that's played the part as well.
Speaker 2: We've got a snack of clearly, it's been the biggest story of the week, so we've got heaps of questions came through and one was and make sure you do write any question you want, send us a comment on the comment session.
Speaker 1: Of the YouTube clips.
Speaker 2: But also this one comes through Hals is disloyal. It's all about the money now if the Broncos can't find the money to keep paying ass if you think money is the reason, I don't think that for one second.
Speaker 4: No, it's definitely not money. And like Payne could walk in and name his price at any single.
Speaker 5: Club, and particularly the Bronco Yeah, and any.
Speaker 4: Club would would give him exactly what he wants because he's worth that. It's not about money, and disloyalty is not how many one club players do we have in the NRL like that?
Speaker 5: I can't think of any of the top of my head.
Speaker 3: Really, I disagree a little bit because I think it's always about money to extent.
Speaker 5: Is he on more money?
Speaker 3: You got more more money at House? Yes, I believe you got more money at House. Yeah, I'm sure Brisbane could have come to the party. But I don't think it's all about money. But it's always it's to an extent about money because the bank is not going to move for nothings. I reckon he got more out of house.
Speaker 1: I reckon he could have asked the Broncos for more.
Speaker 3: And would we could have on this. I think he went this, this is the Brisbane not a situation where we're not going to go tip.
Speaker 2: We've seen in the past where clubs come out and declare we simply couldn't go to that level of offer that the rival club offered.
Speaker 1: The Broncos haven't said that. I haven't said.
Speaker 2: That, and they're not a club that would. But they would ring the boss of Bloody petrol stations and say, mate, can you help tip in.
Speaker 3: He'll make a lot of money. They'll find a way a lot of money down here and TBAs yeah, yeah, a lot of money.
Speaker 4: I think it's more about the challenge for pain The Rabbits have struggled for the last couple of years. They haven't been able to find their feet since they made that Grand Final in twenty one. He gets to come here. I think that they're still not quite there for this year. Pain Hoss comes Next year, they all of a sudden look like a way different team. Just with his inclusion, they might get more inclusions. They can push for a premiership. What if they win the premiership? Actually, Painting Hoss comes and completely changes that. You could be a second Premiership with the Brisbane it's all about money.
Speaker 3: I'm saying money always plays a part, but I don't think it's the major factor, the most significant factor, not by any stretch yet, But I think it is a factor.
Speaker 5: How can it be? How can it be a factor when.
Speaker 4: You you wouldn't come play, but you just said, you just said that. He just said, you just said that the Broncos would have matched it, or they would have offered him more. So how can that be? If it's about the money, then he would stay at Brisbane because he's on because it is easier to stay in Brisbane than to come then to come to.
Speaker 3: With a massive deal by South.
Speaker 5: You just if it's about money, ready, then he can just stay because he.
Speaker 3: Gone off from Brisbane, he got a big offer from Souse, his mind standing and he didn't go. Tip didn't want to get.
Speaker 5: To me. It's not about money, it's about his decision.
Speaker 3: Like did you say that? Because if South softy eight hundred grand, you think he's going there?
Speaker 5: No? No, but he's not worth one hundred grand.
Speaker 4: He's not worth money. He's worth the money, but Brisbane money. If Brisbane offered more money and he then goes to Brisbane. Then that's about the money.
Speaker 3: Obviously they didn't.
Speaker 4: He didn't want to give him a chance though, he said, he said, I've made a chance with your interview with the Armored. Armored said that he made his decision and no matter, they're not going to backflip on it, no matter if.
Speaker 5: They come to table now. So it's not about the money.
Speaker 3: So he got initial offer from Brisbane, he clearly got offered more by Souse and he went with that. He wasn't going to go back to them.
Speaker 5: He made his well to me that says it's not about moneys, saying.
Speaker 3: It's all about money, saying money is a part. You cannot ignore money. You're going there for nothing.
Speaker 1: Do you fear this is the tip of the iceberg for the Broncos.
Speaker 3: Not really, because a lot of them are locked in long term peasants locked in long term. As was locked in long term, Reese is locked in long term payments coming off contract, is in a different situation. All those other guys, Yeah, Paddy Kagan's locked in long term, who also got Catoni just one new deal. So it's not no, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Because that's what the cynics are trying to tell us down the phone line. The calls have come through that this blokes are unhappy, could break up the Broncos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, inspect to Billy Walters a couple of days ago and he said that there's yeah he wants He said, he wants to be a Bronco for life if they will have him. But he said the club's not stressed because of the Brisbane Broncos. They'll get players now, they might not get another pain ass, but they'll get someone.
Speaker 5: To do the job.
Speaker 4: And he sees them, you know, going on those steps that that Penith did. They'll lose players and they'll just they'll just fill gaps and keep plugging away.
Speaker 1: This will be a story we keep talking for weeks to come. Hey, fellows, I say this every week, but seriously, this is out of troll right. Actually, really, you got a dollar on you If you've got a dollar.
Speaker 3: A hold on what's that? What's on your ears?
Speaker 5: A dollar?
Speaker 2: Multi talented read man, You can now go get a Code Sports subscription for a dollar.
Speaker 1: For one month.
Speaker 2: You get it all videos, prediculars, behind the scenes of training, the latest features, all the exclusive and breaking news for dollar one dollar for the first month. Subscription the Zachlmac's affair, it continues, latest is ready that we are headed for.
Speaker 1: Cord only three days before round one eels the Storm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's five days set a side and that that week for this hearing. Melbourne again this week tried to resolve it. Matt Tripped, the chairman of the Storm, met with Paramatter's chairman, Matt Beach. I think it is and they are unable to reach an agreement. So basically they're saying now that was the last chance saloon. Now we go to court in the court room or the side Zach Lamos, I find it hard to believe. I think they'll speak again before then if they don't March two in court. Baby, I really.
Speaker 2: Like the Melbourne Storm and have a lot of respect for them as an organization.
Speaker 1: How can't you but Jesus stunned how deep they're taking this. That Zach's a good player, right, he's a very good player.
Speaker 2: He's a good player, right, but he's now walked out on the last two clubs. And I just find it how you wouldn't do a long term they're spending You've just answered my question.
Speaker 1: They're spending thousands and thousands and thousands.
Speaker 3: Because they're covering this court covering as well as legal fees. Yeah, well that trip's got plenty.
Speaker 2: We're not talking about Nathan Cleary. Yeah, but outside back, we will add a little bit to their team.
Speaker 3: Add a lot to their team. I reckon Dave a lot. He's a match winner, do you.
Speaker 5: Think, Yeah, he's got goal kicking as.
Speaker 1: Well elements of match winning.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just think they'll be down on what Zach done.
Speaker 5: I'm just a little bit stunned.
Speaker 1: How deep Melbourne taking it.
Speaker 3: We got some money to spend, they're looking to spend it.
Speaker 5: How do you How can you pull out? If you're Melbourne? How can you pull out? Now? After you've you've gone?
Speaker 1: You can call it off. There's other players they can keep fishing.
Speaker 3: Not many.
Speaker 4: I'm a bit, I'm a bit in the whisper going around that Paramatt is trying to get Melbourne to take Ryan Madison as part of the deal, and that seems to be a roadblock as well.
Speaker 3: I think that was there was talking about doing a deal where so to get Madison off their books, Paramount paid him some money, then Madison, Melbourne signs Madison pays him out as well, Right, so Madison becomes a free agent. But with that payout, Melbourne eats some of the payout. Apparently you're allowed to do that.
Speaker 5: Wow, had enough to get to get this still over the one just.
Speaker 3: Because I haven't got it done? Is that potentially on the table?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 4: Is it not getting done because of paramatter? Is it not getting done because of Melbourne?
Speaker 3: It's not getting minus? Thing is because well, paramatter aren't accepting what Melbourne's proposing. So you could say it's both ways right.
Speaker 4: Because but I guess what is paramatter is paramatter saying, hey, you take Ryan Madison and we can almost get this done.
Speaker 5: Or is there more to it?
Speaker 3: I think there's more to it because I said they still want to play it. Melbourne's happy to eat a chunk of Madison, pay him out and he'd be free to go. But there's obviously more to it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're going to rule a line through round one. He's not playing around one.
Speaker 3: We should rule a line through. Talking about Zach Lamax on the show, Are you with Me? I find it very hard to believe he hasn't even okay, So I think they requested permission for him to train the storm until the hearing was when they said no, I said no.
Speaker 2: So we got heaps of comments. Here what we got there's one consistent one.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 2: And it's why the NRL threatened ten year band for players signing with R three sixty isn't being enforced against Zachi Lomax.
Speaker 3: Because he's a good player, Dave, And you're making exceptions for good players. It's pretty simple. Yeah, pretty simple. He was bloggs he'd probably get ten years. But Zach Lomax is a very good football.
Speaker 1: So in the NRL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Peter said, you.
Speaker 2: Know, in the NRL Card of Conduct and all their rules and regulations, there's a little asterix in a bracket that says, if you're a good player, yes, this rule does not.
Speaker 3: That's the way all sport works, that's the way life works, Dave. You've got far, you're very available. I'm sure they let all the maount of things slide with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, be quiet, So no ten year being for that?
Speaker 3: No ten year? I reckon. I still think you'd be playing in Melbourne by round two.
Speaker 5: Round two.
Speaker 1: We should have I thought overs and unders, we.
Speaker 3: Should do a little market share. What do you reckon?
Speaker 4: If it all goes well, in week one, I reckon probably round three, round four, I wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Put him if he hasn't trained.
Speaker 1: You got around four or five.
Speaker 3: I reckay. I'm still an outside hope. But what day are we now, twenty twelve, I still thinking outside hope around one, I'm going to go around one.
Speaker 1: With no training.
Speaker 4: Well, if it gets done, if it gets started at some point within the next seven days, that that's enough time.
Speaker 1: You don't think the Eels will enforce the block.
Speaker 3: Oh that's true. I forgot about the block idea. Okay, around two, I reckon, all.
Speaker 1: Right, and then until then we may put a close on all that.
Speaker 5: No more Zach Boma's conversation.
Speaker 1: Keep your questions coming in.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite disappointing to say this because I was always a massive fan of this contest and the concept, and that is the NRL All Stars, both Indigenous and Maori All Stars. We've had the World All Stars also included in the in the fifteen fifteen year life of the All Stars. Yeah, Preston Campbell initiative, and it has done so much good for the game, unbelievable. What the players do in the community for their cultures and promoting the pathway system for the next gen players has been significant. However, when the All Stars concept was first introduced, the Rugby League calendar did not have the amount of football that we have currently in the schedule. And it's my opinion that either the All Stars needs to go or moved to another part of the season, and I certainly think the NRL will give it serious consideration whilever Vegas is still going, while ever we throw more support into the international game at the end of the year. There has to be something has to give, and unfortunately, I think it's the All Stars. And I say it, guys, I said, disappointingly. Again, we've hardly we've hardly mentioned you know what's on this weekend?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: You might struggle to name more than five players in there. That's the other big thing too. The coaches aren't supporting it. They reluctantly support it. We have preseason trial matches live on Telly now that never used to be the case. It is such a congested preseason.
Speaker 1: What do we do? I think I think we have to move it or scrap it.
Speaker 3: What do you got? Are you putting it?
Speaker 4: I went I went down to Mascot the other day where the Indigenous team was training. I spoke to Jack Whiten about this and he's so adamant that it needs to stay and whatnot. He said that if we're going to trial anyway, why can't the Indigenous boys, the Maldi boys and girls just trial in this game. So I get where he's coming.
Speaker 1: From because they're not with their teammates.
Speaker 5: But I'm telling you what he said.
Speaker 4: He said to me, he said, you know we needed we need to play footy under about someone like Jack Whydn' right, a trial game is not going to really you know, he's a slot into any team that he walks into almost But.
Speaker 5: Think the concept the way it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, you look at some of these team lists and if you're not following the lower grades, you don't know some of the people that are even playing. I think there's this community, like the Indigenous community that racked up to Mascot the other day to watch the training session.
Speaker 5: Was was huge.
Speaker 4: There was a couple hundred people there. You know, there is there is a love for this game by the community. But if we're not going to get a buy in, I remember as a kid watching you know, Wendell Saylor Jonathan Thurston. All those types playing.
Speaker 5: In these games. I mean, like the biggest indigenous.
Speaker 4: Stars, it sucks to say they aren't playing. The biggest multi stars aren't playing. How long can we keep going where? How long until it becomes a complete reserve grade game?
Speaker 1: It's just some stars.
Speaker 3: I've got a theory on this where i'd put it. Yep, Okay, So I would have a two week break before the Grand Final. Yeah, because like the IFL, what the AFL doing? I played it in the vacant weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I understand that, And that is the.
Speaker 3: Two whole purpose. One is for guy gets a concussion the prelim, you can play in the Grand Final, and it gives you all stars some prominence in Grand Final fortnight. Yep, what do you think?
Speaker 1: No? I agree with you.
Speaker 5: Do you just do? You just do an all stars game?
Speaker 3: We do other stuff? And what else would you do? They? What else can you do? City First Country M thirteen game against P and G. Maybe a lot of gets played up there.
Speaker 2: But look, yeah, I don't mind the idea because I think we're heading down there.
Speaker 1: We're absolutely heading down the.
Speaker 2: Path of a concussion ruling out a key player out of a Grand Final due to the NRL's increasing hi A policy. The only cats to that, read Man, is that the two Grand Final teams could have some of the best things.
Speaker 3: They're not playing we know exactly. The other issue is some clubs have gone on holidays and blocks. You'd have to get it well.
Speaker 2: Then we're going to learn how much, how much, how passionate they are past.
Speaker 3: The r p A and all that sort of stuff. But I think it'd be perfect. Imagine that two week build up. You have all stars in the middle of it, broadcasters get something, and then you protect your big names. Again, it's potentially suffering concussion in the prelim.
Speaker 2: Look, I hope it's a wonderful game on Sunday and I watch I'll watch it, absolutely, I'll watch it.
Speaker 1: But something has to be done.
Speaker 2: Second week of the pre season trial matches are always good to see footy back.
Speaker 1: Who are looking at guys? What are you pipping an eye on?
Speaker 3: I'm looking at some young kids again. Dave gold Coast Dolphins game is a half back playing for the Titans named Zane Harrison. Huge raps on him, Huge raps on him. He's going to be specially up against the Katawa so that's an interesting matchup. A couple of bokes in Melbourne too, Cooper Clark, you go peel big raps on them as well. Love watching the kids come through.
Speaker 2: Thomas leg back for the Dolphins. Awesome comeback story, what a story. Really tend to see him go. Bulldogs are pretty much going full strength because this is their last hit out before heading to Vegas. Can you to see how and Galvin going the halves the Sharks. Liam Son back from the first time after ten months out with the torn acl Young liam Ison is a very very talented young fullback and he's the one that they believe Ken eventually take over from Will Kennedy.
Speaker 1: Kend to see how he goes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, Isn's a massive in for the Sharks, and like you said that, if all goes well, we're going to be seeing him as that main number one there for my liking this week and I want to see Lockie Ilias tonight. I think that's a massive story this year is you know, we got questions weren't answer last year and if Hileas was the problem or not, now we get to see, you know, and he gets a chance to push his way into maybe the halves or a fourteen jersey for the Titans at the start of the year. And yeah, Cooper Clark for Melbourne is a huge one, especially with their forward Their forward packner might have a bit.
Speaker 1: Of a short position. What's he how does he play?
Speaker 4: He isn't isn't it as like him as a front Rower's talk that he can play play in the back row.
Speaker 5: I think he's playing in the back row this weekend. But I like him as a front row. He's really tough.
Speaker 4: He's got a brother that's playing in the back row for Penrith, Zach Zach Clark is also very good, but he's he's not quite I don't think he's in the top.
Speaker 5: Thirty for Penrith. He's a development player. Both super super.
Speaker 4: Talents and yeah, it's gonna be really interesting both both brothers could come up against each other.
Speaker 3: I mentioned a couple of blokes on the Northern Beaches to a Manly on a Tony Large and Jerry Walsh and the has for the Sea the Future on a Tony large. Huge missed a lot of footy last year. I think he had a shoulder injury maybe or but huge huge raps. They got him from the West Tigers.
Speaker 1: At least all your own wraps that you're just saying, no, he is.
Speaker 3: I think I think he was a junior Wallabies captain.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Joey Walsh was a gun rug We saw him play last year.
Speaker 4: Joey Walsh, they're actually both of those guys are part of a whole spine reshake, a manly probably over the next five years, where you'll see Lehigh at the back, on a Tony and Joe Walsh in the halves, and then on Tony's brother Ashton apparently killing it is supposedly huge.
Speaker 5: I'm even hearing these raps and I'm nowhere near the mom.
Speaker 3: They're both training the house down season foot.
Speaker 5: He's back. How good