Speaker 1: Hey coops, Hey man, the bloke, the Canadian bloke who does the drawer? Yeah, can I just I just want to give him a call of it some one second.
Speaker 2: Are you sure you and your mates on the couch don't do the drawer?
Speaker 3: Hello's fan? How are you? It's Peter All Andy's great. Listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's going great. Just one thing, just one little problem. Yeah, we're six rounds in and everyone's playing each other three times already.
Speaker 3: Okay, what is going on?
Speaker 2: You're normally not that funny.
Speaker 4: That's the best joke you've done on television for a long time. I agree with you, bar I agree with you because, like, come on, can we just have everyone play each other once and then work it out?
Speaker 3: I don't know, it has been so difficult.
Speaker 4: The Roosters play the Broncos and the Panthers twice in the first seven weeks. The Tigers play the Knights and the Eels twice.
Speaker 2: In the first seven weeks.
Speaker 4: Like, you don't need to send the document off to wherever it is to fare Canada to work it out.
Speaker 2: Skeat you and your mates on the couch just saw it.
Speaker 3: I'm flthy.
Speaker 1: I'll never go to Canada. Again, I'll never wear down him again. Did you like Latrell and the six?
Speaker 4: I like Gray at fullback, so I like Latrell playing anywhere that suits a team. Obviously, Cody's at six, so there's that mean Theatrell plays center or whatever.
Speaker 2: The one thing I will say is.
Speaker 4: The game was on the line against the Roosters, he went to six and he came out with that big play.
Speaker 2: Yep, right.
Speaker 4: But in terms of having an impact and really going after the contest, Latrell had three runs for the whole game. The games in the balance, he had one run in the second half when he ran the ball, he created two tries. Yeah, he had two tries cysts from three runs, Like, if he has ten runs, what's he doing? If he had the effort of Gray he had twenty four runs, like he had something like that. I just think he just needs to work harder when his team needs him.
Speaker 1: Probably an adjustment of hogus coops because we've said this before, Like he did some beautiful touches of the ball. You're right, his strength is running the football.
Speaker 4: How many times do we see players move to the harves and all of a sudden become past.
Speaker 1: Centric's It's the greatest challenge to take someone.
Speaker 3: It's like always the belief Coop is that.
Speaker 1: You take your strengths and dictate it to the number on your back, not the around. Don't let the number dictate how you're going to play. Just take your strengths to the jersey.
Speaker 4: Even Jerome Leweyes fighting with that at the moment, like just a little bit too much of a game manager as opposed to that forward thrust runner.
Speaker 2: And for latrelle like when.
Speaker 4: He runs a football, in terms of his run verse being effective, he would probably have the highest percentage.
Speaker 2: So then it just comes back to doing more of the running.
Speaker 4: And particularly when his team was up against it with no Cody and a few other injuries in the halves, he just needed to concentrate on his strengths.
Speaker 3: More spoken of a few halves.
Speaker 1: They're battling with the discipline to run the football a little Nathan and Clearing. I can see that in Nathan's game at the moment. Jamal Foggerty the name is as we're recording this, he's got a big decision to make.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you believe it's a two horse race between the Raiders and Manly, look, Jamal has been a good servant to Canberra. That team is on the up, like they've got, yeah, a dominant experience forward pack, but then there's got this really young and youthful, exciting outside backs and Jamel seems to be that the key glue in between that. But the Raiders almost want him to hang around for twelve months so they can usher someone else in and then maybe be in a position to dominate the competition. Whereas if he goes to Manly, Jamal's a solid player, but he needs a bit of strike around him to make him more effective. He does, and you look at Manly, there's Tom, but if Tom's not fit, what does Jamel do with Luke Brooks and things like that. So it's fifty to fifty because the Raiders have a one year deal and the Manly.
Speaker 2: Have offered a two year deal.
Speaker 4: Not sure what the money is, but there's this He's probably got more ingredients and recipe at the Raiders, but then keep him.
Speaker 1: From It's a tough one, Coops, because he's been there through where there's been some tough times and now I can see them coming out the other side. And I know they're only offering him one year, but if he gets there next year and he brains them and they make a top four finish, then you would expect there'll be another year on the table. And I said last night on the show, this young crop of Raiders coming through simultaneously remind me very much of the crop of youngsters which led into the Green Machine era, you know, Like I mean, it's a big statement because she had blokes like you know, Lazarus, Stuart and whatnot. But this is this is a great crop of young players they've got coming through.
Speaker 4: And they need someone like Fogy to be that, to be the leader and the influence over group.
Speaker 1: Knights lost their half back Jack Cogger. They moved Phoenix Crossland to seven. I thought, I thought yesterday there not because of Phoenix, but they just.
Speaker 3: Attack was way of sort.
Speaker 2: What do you make of it?
Speaker 3: I think sometimes coops.
Speaker 1: I not a lot of teams in this competition moved the ball sideways. Well, well, in a minute, we'll do some stuff on Melbourne and we'll do stuff on particularly North Queensland because North Queensland have adjusted their style of football or just the way they're attacking.
Speaker 3: I thought, I just think.
Speaker 1: When when Newcastle moved the ball sideways a lot of times, in my opinion, they move it sideways.
Speaker 3: For the sake of it.
Speaker 1: They haven't got the foot in the door, or even sometimes when they get the foot in the door that I look to push the ball east west.
Speaker 3: They've got a simpler look. No matter of people. I've said a lot about a lot of good good sides that have.
Speaker 1: Been that have been out of form in their six rounds do less centralize your attack.
Speaker 2: And one thing that.
Speaker 4: Is hard to pick apart when you're watching foot is when a halfback makes the smartest decision to shift on the right play, not the wrong player.
Speaker 2: There's a big difference in that.
Speaker 4: If it's a slow momentum back foot play the ball and you still go sideways, means the defense is going to be a couple of meters up off the line, forcing Calen Ponger into tougher decisions.
Speaker 2: Right, But they.
Speaker 4: Played against the Dogs were kept to zero. They almost looked like they were playing on a smaller field. They would just run out of space all the time. And against the Tigers on the weekend, they just didn't have any answers.
Speaker 2: They weren't effective in the way they did it.
Speaker 4: And when you're trying to be effective against a team, particularly inside the red zone, when the fullbacks in the line. As a golden rule, you need every play behind the football running an effective line. Right Melbourne Storm and they've got accountability across the team because Craig Bellmy here in the red zone, Craig Bellamy makes every player player. So when Munster passes the ball to Hughes and Papenhausen, have a look at the middle forwards all doing something to engage Penriss line. They're in the right hole at the right time time in intent quick play the ball. They get up even on this side back to Harry Grant, they're in position, but they go this side to Jerome Hughes and it's effective. They score the try in the corner Jerome Hughes. Good decision making and the tries in the corner with the Newcastle Knights against the Tigers, similar shape. But just watch this here, Croslin to Kaylen Ponger, the Thompson Brothers, Tyson, Frazelk, Pierce Paul completely ineffective, not doing anything to disconnect the Tiger's line. And it's why the ball goes backward, sideways and around and abouts because there's just zero help from those middle guys that are meant to do something by engaging defenders in.
Speaker 1: The line, because these days there's no excuse for that because players are these days, i think sometimes to the detriment of the team, are locked into.
Speaker 3: Channels, so there's no reason.
Speaker 1: It's like the old days were blokes were just wander around the fields up to the half.
Speaker 3: To grab and stock piling around.
Speaker 2: You should be in a position to help.
Speaker 4: If you're being locked in a position you should be, and the general rules are half when you go to the line, you really shouldn't throw the pass across a gap without a runner going into it. The reason why I say that is if you do that, it means that defender just slides off because he's not being held up.
Speaker 2: So when a half.
Speaker 4: Goes to the line, you should always have someone in that whole outside your target defender and the knights. It doesn't matter if you're finixed crosslin or the best half back in the world that having in effective shape is not going to help.
Speaker 1: If you're going to push the ball sideways, if that's what you're going to style the football, you've got to do. You've got to do what Melbourne obviously do Coop well, you know yourself when you played is great attack in a lot of ways is an exact science. Little things like you ps, you're sitting there. You're sitting there with the gap there, And the difference between being able to be two sideways and playing nice and straight and stripping and team short is sometimes a subtle as hitting the right half of the hole. You know, there's the hole, you know, hit that side of the hole to pull this defender out, it out of shape, as opposed to hitting that side of the hole, which basically just that subtly, just that much makes a big difference to what you're trying to achieve down the line.
Speaker 4: One of the first lessons I learned as a half back, a very very very old wise man once told me, don't run it inside shoulders run it the good part of the whole, good smart, The good part of the hole opens up the defender to make it asision.
Speaker 1: It'll get your runner at the very least a one on one tackle.
Speaker 3: Coops. Let's talk about mate. Look and.
Speaker 1: There's been a theme in this podcast almost like centralize, simplify, do less when sides are struggling a little bit and the reason we say that with the speed of the rucks, the vulnerability is around the ruck and those type defenders, and there's enormous benefit in that.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 1: If you can simplify it and your centralize generally as really you have a lower error rate. Second thing is is that the engine that drives a football team are the middles. So if you centralize and you're making the opposition middles may tackle after tackle after tackle, and you start to dominate possession, then you're burning out their engine. But the other thing coops about playing that really tight stuff around the ruck and the challenging those big blokes there is that it doesn't allow the defense to defend as a collective.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Teams, as you know, are taught to defend as a collective as a group. With your man you're inside and outside. So when you push the ball down the light sideways you are. You are allowing a team to defend as a collective communicate when they're on the back foot and you're just coming out of them like that, it's almost each man to themselves.
Speaker 3: That is the benefit.
Speaker 2: Of the fast ruck in terms of consistency.
Speaker 4: Understand what you're talking about, because centralizing your attack around the nine through the middle part of the field. Yeah, it does, it's reliable, and it does less than the er account. But I think in today's game, you've got to be able to do both.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can't just.
Speaker 4: Be one demensional down the center of attack. You'll win most games that when you come against the good ones, you won't beat them. And then if you're two fluffy by the way you go sideways. It's whether you can execute your players to beat the teams on the day. But someone like Melbourne probably perfectly built. The Broncos are perfectly built where you can within the trend of ten or fifteen minutes of a game, you can change. You can go centralize them all of a sudden they tighten up, then you go wide, or vice versa. So if you were to build something from the ground up, yes, centralized, let's get that model downpat first and then we'll start looking someone like the Tigers tend to go two sideways too early. Yeah, but when it works, it's pretty, but it can be shut down if that offensive line moves around well.
Speaker 1: And it's a hard discipline to keep that ball centralized because growing up as far as regularly get education right, for any young kids years go forward and when the foot's in the door, we we get momentum push it sideways. So we neatinally had that algorithm a side who's got the balance right? Who started to and I thought on the weekend against South All the Cowboys are very good. There was more upfilled punch far less unnecessary sideways ball movement. What really impressed me was when the foot was in the door and they were punching through, they kept put it this way.
Speaker 3: The more momentum there was, the straighter they would play it was.
Speaker 1: Robson was great at dummy half drink water was great. Cotter chipped in and did was floating around there. There was one in the second half where you watch and probably tympertize it and then I has a tremendous run by the way is starting to come out of his shell again.
Speaker 3: He goes forward, punches through.
Speaker 1: At this point this is where North Queensland would oftentimes scale Okay, foots in the door, let's push it sideways. Didn't just goes bang, takes the next play gun barrel straight and that was the theme of how they played.
Speaker 3: They just challenged in around the rucks. When they did go sideways coops when they did mate.
Speaker 1: If you look at the difference what they're doing a few weeks ago to what they did in the weekend when they did decide to advance the ball towards the sideline, made the straight runners, they were just peeling off gun barrel straight and just they just stripped them short of numbers.
Speaker 3: They were really really good on the weekend. The Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll go give Robson and drink Water their leaders, a big rap, because at halftime it was yeah, they're okay sort of, and drink Water said they weren't really happy at all. But to then shift the mindset and the game planned to be way more direct, way more dominant. It shows that they've got footy IQ.
Speaker 2: So they're good.
Speaker 4: Stuff is really good and they're starting to see that now. I've hit a little bit of form off that poor start. But when they play bad like it's a big question mark. Whether the Cowboys can dominate septem.
Speaker 1: Then is very much their indicator, isn't it If you could get if you hit to Jeremiah and then I before a game and go how you're feeling and look at his eyes if he's up for it, If he's up for it.
Speaker 3: You back them all the way him.
Speaker 4: And drink Water as well, because drink Water's got the X factor that you need.
Speaker 2: And when he's like sideways.
Speaker 4: Risk versus reward over the top passes, you think you've got him hooked. But when he's left foot back inside, like scheming around looking for an opportunity through the middle, that's when he starts dominating the rugget the game.
Speaker 1: Tell them about Penrith, everybody's everybody's got their theories.
Speaker 3: There's a bit going on.
Speaker 4: There is a bit going on, and defensively, they've got their issues, and this is a team that lives and breathes defense. I'm not going to try and solve that rubisque, but I think part of the issue with their attack is to me, I feel like they've run very similar plays and shapes for the last sort of let's say two years, three years, and the strength of that as that everyone knows their role. We spoke about everyone's in the right place at the right time. But when the pass goes from Yo to Cleary to Lewis like it used to, there was just this beautiful motion of the ball being put down in the corner by top because everything was moving, every pass was on the spot, every player was super effective. Take you know, maybe clearing out it with an injury. Edward's out with an injury, but definitely Leui out of it as well. They run the same plays in the same shape, yet the people in those positions aren't as effective getting that pass across all the show and go or hiding the ball, just all those little things.
Speaker 2: And the reason why they don't.
Speaker 4: Put the ball on the corner now, I believe is because they're running the same shape, but they're less effective. At the same show, every team was running the two forwards with Isaiao passed out to the halfback. But now of a sudden, that's not as effective as before because it's not the play, it's the nuance within the play that is missing out. And it could be a player with less skill. It could be a middle forward not actually connecting to a defender and engaging someone for Isaiah. So I think it's a little bit of a maybe rework their plays and their shapes a little bit the better suits some of their players.
Speaker 2: At the moment.
Speaker 4: But I think Nathan is trying to cover for everything, every little gap they got.
Speaker 2: He's trying to do it like.
Speaker 4: His touches have gone through the roof, his runs have dropped a little bit, and he's becoming sort of the guy that's trying to do everything at once, but sort of not being great at the things he's great at.
Speaker 3: Let's often of the Johns variety that started last year.
Speaker 1: In our podcasts, we interviewed Nathan and you got lots.
Speaker 3: And I said to I was talking to Nathan.
Speaker 1: I said, Nathan, when I watch you, am I right in saying this, I said, when I watch you and I know you're on, I said, the first two or three times you get the ball, you challenge the opposition, you take him on, you come off.
Speaker 3: Left or right foot, and you're really drilling.
Speaker 1: And he said yes, And he said, Nathan said, for him, running the football is a discipline. He's got to keep reminding himself that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Going into this game the other night, I thought to myself, right, they've got to win this one.
Speaker 3: First thing.
Speaker 1: I'm expecting Nathan's going to run the ball first two or three times, and he didn't. And there was a moment late in the game, Coups he received the ball on the right hand side of the field and I could see there was space off of right foot if you come off the right foot just there was a half gap there that I reckon if he'd had his running INSTI there, he would have he would have come off the right foot and he would have went through and scored the try. He caught the ball, I thought, here he goes and he went for the double cut out out of the top, winning the sideline.
Speaker 3: And that I think for me, that that symbolizes.
Speaker 1: Where Penrith are out at the moment is the fact that they are very past centric. They are trying to create by pushing the ball sideways. Not enough thrust, not enough running.
Speaker 4: We've spoken about Cleary, drink Water and Latrell, three completely different players in terms of way they go about it. But the key part to all of them is a run first mentality. Yes, because what run first mentality does. If you're a threat to run the ball, that opens up passing lanes, Whereas if you go to passing lanes first, you've lost the threat of running the ball. Like there's guys like when Karen Monster plays in a big game, are you grand final Origin, He's a fullback that plays five to eight. Mostly he will go to dummy half and run. You watch him, he just gets the ball and has a because he wants to get into the groove in the game.
Speaker 2: So there's a there's a lot to be said about and is a discipline thing. It is a discipline. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel for a lot of the young guys who have come into the site. Two aspects. So the young guy like Blaze and the other night we saw the micd up vision of Penrith in Vegas and there's an aerial shot above a scrum and when you watch that sequence at one play, it gives you an idea of how complex Penrith attack is because you've got blokes jumping and one bloke swinging here Nathan swinging around the other side. Now, if you're coming into that site as a young guy off one preseason I think he missed a lot of the preseason through injury. You'd be out there with all these people moving around, your eyes be rolling in.
Speaker 3: The back your head a little bit.
Speaker 1: So it's all these young guys getting used to that. And the other thing too, Coops, is all these young guys are coming into first grade.
Speaker 3: There's fresh faced.
Speaker 1: Playing in the premiership winning team where everyone's after him.
Speaker 3: So every single side that they play this.
Speaker 1: Year are going to be just about at their best, were preparing to be at their best.
Speaker 3: That's that's tough on young blokes.
Speaker 4: And whether it's that complex system or whatever, it's your role within that system will play that makes the ball put down the corner. I've always said when a winger puts the ball down in the centimeter of space in the corner, it's because of the multiple little centimeters.
Speaker 2: Across the past that make that space for that to happen.
Speaker 4: And Penith at the moment, are not just getting those ten centimeters of time and space in the middle part to get the ball out to the fringes.
Speaker 1: When Melbourne started rolling yesterday, coops I Melbourne are ten out of ten entertainment. When they like that dry Sunday afternoon football may they just zing the ball around. The level of skill right across the park, their back rowers you know, to catch and pass and everything.
Speaker 3: It was just beautiful watching.
Speaker 4: Look at Melbourne this year in terms of losing last year's Grand Final, they've got redemped shit and in terms of the spine their forward how balanced they are their game style defense Orientaty can attack from anywhere they are in absolute pole position and there's some teams that are pushing next to them, but they put it all together. They have ingredients to a premiership right there, and they're playing like there after.
Speaker 3: Something too too. Who impressed me just with that theme we're talking about about fast guys with footwork through the middle. The guy who really caused Melbourne.
Speaker 1: A lot of problems yesterday in the first half in a side that was getting was getting belted.
Speaker 3: It was Aaron Clark.
Speaker 1: That's shorter, faster, middle forward with footwork. He caused Melbourne a lot of problems yesterday.
Speaker 4: So do you feel like that middle ford who's sort of bulky can move with let's say a smaller frame fullback than some guys are doing really well? There's a bit of a shift in that trend in the game with out.
Speaker 1: Of doubt, without a doubt, those smaller blokes zipping around the rucks against the bigger middles. I think that's where a lot of the magic's been happening.
Speaker 2: Because the Dogs have got that.
Speaker 4: In terms of the middle Fords, kurk Man does it really well and they've got Kinnor Tracy.
Speaker 2: At the back.
Speaker 3: Tom Starling but he's doing really well k Weeks.
Speaker 1: Mabe, it just goes on on these Joe Gray, the smaller, the smaller fullbacks, the zippy thirteen middles. Yeah, that's that's where a lot of stuff's going on.
Speaker 3: Coops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree that if you are let's say big Ford pack and your strength is just like the middle third consolidation, then play to your strength.
Speaker 2: Don't try and be something you're not capable of doing.
Speaker 4: But unfortunate for other teams, Melbourne Storm have the complete set. They can do different styles within the context of the game, but don't try. For example, the Dogs don't try and play a centralized, dominant forward pack game because you just don't have the powerful forwards to do that. So they're playing to their strengths and other teams need to do that as well.
Speaker 3: Just wonder finishing.
Speaker 1: I was just watching this the other day and I thought, my god, he reminds me of David Peachy that try the Will Kennedy's card.
Speaker 3: Well, he's good.
Speaker 1: To one, but the one where he just he zipped around the rocks and go Peachy was.
Speaker 3: I had one year with Peach. He was such Coops, an amazing.
Speaker 1: Player, like I've never seen a player be able to have the instincts where he would feel a player about to move into his space and defender like he had Like I remember once watching him a training and he scoop a ball up and he ran right and he would he beat a guy coops like this, Like he would sense simultaneously as a guy a defender moved into his space, he'd just move around and it was just pure instinct and just the nature of the way he rolled and ran.
Speaker 3: Kennedy very very similar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big to the capture fits in the Sharks. Yeah, because you know they've been a little bit hot, cold, inconsistent, but they've gone to Vegas, Townsville, Camber and Perth and they come out.
Speaker 2: And perform that way. I thought it was solid. It was really rock soil.
Speaker 4: That's the type of performance that you can go, oh, like, you know, bit tied or I don't really feel it doing. But they weren't great, but they were good enough for long parts of that game to get the job done. Trindleed to Trisis Kennedy with his thing, and sometimes that's what you need. You just need to fight through the tough times and some of your best players will end up getting the points for you.
Speaker 3: Coop.
Speaker 1: This Friday going to be it's more than a game, be an event. South Sydney versus Dogs, e's to Friday, always a big game. Initially they're expecting they said over forty thousand. Last week it went to over fifty three early over sixty. Now they're saying could be over seventy thousand people at the game.
Speaker 4: That's epic, mate. When the Dogs f yeah, Dogs have a party. And two they're coming off a really good performance. They absolutely suffocated the Knights then the bye, so they're cherry ripe like they should be fight up for a big performance because if the Dogs in the style they play with their fast moving defense, get up, get back, get up, get back, you need to be redlining with energy. And then when they attack they like to shift the ball around. So I reckon that they're going to be really up for it because undefeated, they've done a lot of good things, and the Dogs fans they're ready to have a party.
Speaker 1: Great day Friday, Easter, eggs, church, beer, football, So which.
Speaker 2: One of those aren't you doing? Which one of those aren't you doing?
Speaker 3: Church? God bless