Speaker 1: Appod Shape Production. Welcome back to you another episode about my Bad Mum podcast. And we're on Instagram too. At am I a bad Mum. We're trying to get the Facebook back up.
Speaker 2: And running uns.
Speaker 3: On my to do list for today is update Facebook and just activate life through Facebook again.
Speaker 2: Technology is not our strong point. We've been very clear on this. When we're in the zone.
Speaker 1: We're pretty good at socials, but I feel like this is for all moms. I feel like we need a day to do life admin, to get shit done. Even on the way into work today, right, I caught up and I made an appointment.
Speaker 2: For my dog to have a dental check.
Speaker 1: It's that type of shit you just don't do. I like the dog's breath stinks, she's obviously got some sort of rotten we haven't cleaned the teeth in ten years. I'm like, we neglecting this poor dog. We just spent seven thousand dollars hats on an operation for the cat so he didn't die, and we don't even really.
Speaker 2: Like that cat. Imagine if that's it.
Speaker 3: I just spent you know, two grand on that kid. I don't even really like that kid of mine.
Speaker 4: Could you imagine that's not even my favorite.
Speaker 1: A lie abad mum before being the one they hate.
Speaker 2: No, I am that person.
Speaker 3: There's always one person within the parenting dynamic that has.
Speaker 2: To be the bad guy, hold that flag. It's annoying.
Speaker 1: Like we've spoken about this before about not in every situation, but often Dad's the fun one.
Speaker 3: I find it a bit of a cop out sometimes that dads get to continually be the role where kids just love dad because Dad is the fun one and dad's like us because dad's funny and.
Speaker 1: The rules aren't normally as strict and little things like Dad will be the one that goes well just get Macius Bricky on the way to school. I'm like, I'm the strict one. They take the piss out of me, right, soel I know I get the same thing through that, But this particular situation is unrealistic and I'm being.
Speaker 2: The realistic person. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, as we know, my girls are obsessed with Billie Eilish all concerts. To be honest, at the.
Speaker 3: Moment, I was gonna say, I don't know, I was thinking about this when we're talking. Is it just Billy or is it just concerts? I know Billy is the number one but like they seem to be fatting overgoing to concerts. Yeah, so it could be anyone, but Billy is.
Speaker 1: Billy's the idols favorite. Anything she does, any release, new merch, we have to buy it, Like I have to reduce access to their bank accounts so they don't or Amelia in particular, so she doesn't just buy shit because money burns a hole in her pocket.
Speaker 2: She gets it, she spends it.
Speaker 1: They woke up the other morning and she had announced more concert dates. Now these aren't concert dates in Australia. Rage, these are not Brisbane concert dates that they've announced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, oh my goodness, she's.
Speaker 1: Coming back to Brisbane. We can get a ticket for the show. No, No, these are in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Oh wonderful. Yeah, I mean that's around the corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were looking at not long ago if I'm correct, didn't get those missed down on those now.
Speaker 1: The problem is, as we know with tickets, is that when they go on sale, you have to be super quick because they sell out for these big artists.
Speaker 3: Also, San fran you've got a few more people to go up against, not saying Britain and Sydney, Melbourne at like any easier, but your numbers are outnumbered in America even more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, for anybody with a full time job to go, We're going to go to San Francisco in six months time is a stretch. You need real flight, accommodation, spending money.
Speaker 2: This is in addition to tickets.
Speaker 1: Now, my girls seemed to think that they are going to San Francisco in six months time and they want to buy the tickets for the concert this week. Now. The problem is is that I'm so wild before. It's that fine line between being realistic going that's absolutely not going to happen yea, and crushing their dreams and being the bad one. This morning I was texting Holly and I was getting messages.
Speaker 2: You're getting sprayed, like.
Speaker 1: What the hell have we been saving our money for? You said that we can go for our dreams. Blah blah blah blah blah. I've been saving up. I wanted to go to London. You said, no, it's school holidays. It's a flight with no stopovers. And I sent a text back and I started off nice and I said, Darling, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but there is no way we can all go to San Francisco in six months time. It's over six thousand dollars in flights, around fifteen hundred in accommodation. Because you can't just go to San Francisco for two days travel spending money tickets unless we win lotto. We are not going, and you two aren't going by yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not coming.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I'm buying them. This is what we've been saving for. It's not six thousand dollars. We're gonna go there by ourselves. All of this stuff is coming back at me because I am the bad one. I just want It's a hard no. I ended up going. It's a hard no. Yeah, I'm not going to say it's just go by yourself.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is a twin thing, Rachel, whether this is just siblings. Do you ever have moments where your girls are both on side because they both want something, Yeah, yeah, and they both attack you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they come at you, yeah yeah, and then you just give them that spray of like, mate, there's two of you and want to meet, Like, this is unfair. If we're in a fight right now, this is unfair. This is a disadvantage, This is a disadvantage and I've still gonn to whoop the.
Speaker 2: Asses and it's elder abuse. It's abuse, it's abuse.
Speaker 3: I one hundred percent I'm with you, like I was saying to you though, Like as this started to Unford, I would always like, apart from the fact that you're their parents, you're the one that is going to be footing their costs for the flights because there's no way they can. It's unrealistic of them to think that they're going to a be able to pay for all of this on their own back. Like if you want me to do some quick maths, how much do they earn a week? Like at Macas. I mean, Holly doesn't even like working, so she doesn't really go to maccas too often. Amelia doesn't mind a bit of cash coming in. They like, this is the unrealistic part of it. You know, when you're eighteen, go for God, spend your money however you want, travel whenever you want. But until then, what's going to happen is your passport looks like this, your date of birth is on there, and unless you've got my approval to say that you're flying internationally. I think in her head she's just like we're just popping over down to Sydney for an hour. The no, no, you're not Sam Fran and camping out in San Fran waiting for your tickets like going to be the same as sleeping at Boondle in my car, Like it's just not the same.
Speaker 1: And they haven't even thrown in the exchange rate for America.
Speaker 2: Everything's everything, everything right now is double. It's so funny.
Speaker 3: I love the way that their brains work, and I don't want to be the person also like you, that goes squash your dreams.
Speaker 2: Dreams have to be achievable. Number one.
Speaker 3: Dreams have to be somewhat of a stepping stone of understanding realistic components to it. Because this one needs realistic components to it. I am this age. I need this person to trouble with me or their approval like this shit like that that's in this.
Speaker 2: So as much as you feel really.
Speaker 3: Bad right now, like I get it, I get it, but I think you're doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd stick with it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing is, you know, another concert will come to town and they'll be so excited about that.
Speaker 1: It's more realistic to get them to buy a lotto ticket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and.
Speaker 3: Think about how good to say you bought a ticket to Billie Eilish in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: But how the hell are you going to get there? Because like, let's think about this.
Speaker 1: But also they're planning out how long they've got until November? We got six months? Well, no, you can't leave flights till the last minute. They give me so much more experence.
Speaker 3: I know that's right because they think they're going to Sydney. San Franz is not Sydney. Girlfriend. Also, I got a bit of backlash the other day, and it was similar to this right where I've told you before. I make Gracie iron her uniform and she goes, why do you have to be this? Because she was tired, she was angry, she was aggressive. Why can't you just iron my And I looked at her and I was like, because.
Speaker 2: This is real life, this is real life. Do your own to walk away from that, KD. I was like, what a shit mom.
Speaker 3: But the other day and another argument off the back of that, because she was so angry about ironing her stuff, she.
Speaker 2: Got angry at me about I just want you to be my friend.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 3: I looked at her, I said, I know, I said, and I really want to be just your friend. I was like, but I haven't been given that role in this lifetime. I'm your mother, so then therefore I need to be your mother. And I hope at the end of it week can have an amazing friendship because you'll be a wonderful human being. I said, but right now, if I don't be true to this part of being your mother, it's not going to work. Yep, you won't want to be friends with me because you'll question why I didn't be a mother to you when you were this age.
Speaker 2: But that will come later, yeah forty Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, that'll come later. But I got that, why are we worry you have to be so strict? I was confused, Katie, You're in the same ball with this. The girls just want you.
Speaker 1: To yeah, and they don't want the discipline. However, I have also noticed that if there are no boundaries, that's not comfortable for them either.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Holly had a moment of saying to me, there was this party they were invited to and she didn't want to go, and Amelia really did want to go, and Holly didn't want to go, and Holly turned around to me and said, why are you even letting us go anywhere there's alcohol?
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: There's no parents like reeled off. All this stuff about why I shouldn't This is just purely.
Speaker 2: Because she didn't want to go. You need it.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't be allowing her to go because it's inappropriate and I'm a bad parent for letting her go. I was like, oh, interesting, Okay, let's tighten up this ship, shall we.
Speaker 2: Let's get a little bit stricter.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, Holly, can you put the dishwasher on?
Speaker 2: Don't know how? Excuse me. Okay, let's have a.
Speaker 1: Think about how we're going to be treating you from now on where you want to be treated like an adult and you want.
Speaker 3: To be yeah, like now when you want to be going to Billie Eilish in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: But you can't dishwasher. I think it's a hard I think that in the show is I know, mhm