Speaker 1: Andrew. Have you seen the movie?
Speaker 2: I got an exclusive screening in They open a whole cinema just for me. Oh cool. That must have been weird, very weird. Three hundred seats and me in the center in the dark room.
Speaker 1: Did you get popcorn?
Speaker 2: They saw him out a coffee and popcorn and they call it work.
Speaker 1: From the Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. There's a new movie out in cinemas, a biopic of Bruce Springsteen called Springsteen Deliver Me from Nowhere. But it's not about the Boss brancing around on stage in tight jeans and a half buttoned cowboy shirt, sweating and belting out one of his anthems like Born in the USA. It's about Springsteen's sad, bastard pace back in the early nineteen eighties, when he retreated to a bedroom and wrote the album Nebraska, Ten beautiful songs, all complete downers. For all the reasons, Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska is seen as modern and relevant today, exploring ideas of isolation, loneliness, fatalism, and hopelessness. All those very qualities made the album so unorthodox and risky in nineteen eighty two, and that's not even factoring in the fact Springsteen produced the album himself, not in a commercial studio, but at home with a four track recorder and a mental breakdown on the way. Today I'm joined by the Australians National music writer Andrew McMillan. His feature on the movie is live now at the Australians newly launched Culture section. Go do the Australian dot com dot u slash culture, or in the Australians app tap the Culture tab at the top. It's full of the very latest in visual art, music, film, TV, entertainment and much more. Here's Jeremy ellen White speaking to Andrew McMillan.
Speaker 2: What did you find were your most valuable resources when preparing for the role.
Speaker 3: Really, the most helpful was having access to Bruce and really trying to understand on a human level, forget the rock star, what was going on with him during this period. And I'm very grateful to Bruce for being immediately, so forthcoming and honest. It allowed me as an actor and to start to draw connections and tethers, and then in getting to know Bruce, I was able to find things within him that I knew about myself that I could kind of decide to expand on or grin to surface. Will they blew a chicken Man and Philly last night?
Speaker 2: Now they blew up his house?
Speaker 1: To Andrew, we're talking today about an album that Bruce Bringsteen super fans no one loved. The rest of us who have a more casual relationship with the Boss might not know about Nebraska. What's Nebraska all about? And where did it come in Bruce Bringsteen's life.
Speaker 2: Nebraska is an album that Bruce created not knowing he was making an album. He finished the river and the touring behind that album, playing to arenas full of fans, big rock and roll shows with the East Street Band, and then, rather than continuing on in that vein of making upbeat rock and roll songs, he took himself away to a rented ranch house in New Jersey by himself, got a TIAC four track recorder, and he started creating what he thought were demo songs for his next album potentially, But in the process of writing and recording this album, he came up with the quietest, darkest set of songs that he had released certainly to that point in time. In nineteen eighty two and still in twenty twenty five. It's probably the case.
Speaker 1: It's a very sad version of Bruce Bringsteen who we hear on this album, and there are stories that he tells in his songs that seem almost childlike to me. You know. There's a song about a police officer with a wayward brother who has to try and help his brother avoid going to jail. Stories of heartbreak, and some very powerful stories about being an outsider looking in. Mentioned on the Hill is about a kid with his dad looking up at the town's big grand house.
Speaker 3: Who's a please sadsw.
Speaker 1: That feels autobiographical, was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Nebraska is a blending of fact and fiction. It's taken from the pages of Bruce's childhood, but he was also researching and reading about things that had happened in real time in nineteen eighty two and also in the recent past, things like a serial killer named Charles Starkweather who who had killed a bunch of people in Nebraska, and when he was later caught, he couldn't give any kind of reasonable explanation for why he had done that. And Bruce, as a songwriter, found that fascinating and decided to write a song from the perspective of that serial killer. But Bruce himself much later in his twenty sixteen book Worn to Run, he reflected on Nebraska and described it as an unknowing meditation on my childhood and its mysteries, and he wanted the songs to feel like awaking dream and move like poetry. So it's a set of songs which is rooted in reality, slightly fictionalized, but it's this blend between his distant past, trying to understand his childhood, trying to understand his really distant aloof father, and trying to come to terms with the man he was then in his early thirties.
Speaker 3: I went directing to feel Different.
Speaker 2: League Law. Once you have your first top ten, they worked three for the next.
Speaker 3: Well, we've never been about singles, but the whole story just trying to break the little new grail.
Speaker 1: We got a little time, just not a lot. The creation of this album is now the subject of a movie starring Jeremy Allen White as Bruce Bringsteen. Why did the filmmakers choose this part of Bruce Bringsteen's life to bring to the big screen.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an adaptation of a great book called Deliver Me from Nowhere by Warren Zan's and it's an unusual music biography because it's based on a few months or perhaps at most a year in an artist's life, and that is the time surrounding the recording and later release of Nebraska and the one that came next was Born in the USA, his biggest collection of stadium filling hits. The author Warren Zanes wanted to understand how that happened, and there was a section Bruce Is Born to Run sixteen memoir where Bruce talked about a mental breakdown that happened immediately after the recording of Nebraska, and that was the first time that Bruce had described that to anyone, and he kind of covered in a few pages and then moved on. But Warren Zane's the author of Deliver Me from Nowhere, I wanted to know more so with Bruce's corporation, he went deep on the time of his life and what led to that mental breakdown. And then the reason why it's ending up on screen is because a writer director named Scott Cooper read Warren Zane's book and thought, I need to make a movie based on this. It was so gripping and so unusual, such a quiet period of withdrawal one of the world's most known artists. Calm, what's up?
Speaker 1: You redid everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I subtracted and I pushed.
Speaker 1: Okay, you want to spell out from me what exactly you subtracted and what exactly you pushed.
Speaker 2: We're going to get a star.
Speaker 1: He cast Jeremy Allen White, who viewers would know as Chef Kami from The Bear, as Bruce Springsteen. They're kind of the same age. They physically look quite similar.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: Jeremy Allen White is ridiculously handsome, perhaps more handsome than even Bruce Springsteen, but he comes across in his public persona as a pretty soulful, kind of sensitive guy. What were your impressions of Jeremy Allen White when you interviewed him for The Australian.
Speaker 2: A humble guy, for sure. I love The Bear. I've been watching that show since it came out. But to see him embody a big star like Bruce, that's a major leap, And as Jeremy described it to me, it's probably something he could not have done if he had not previously played a real person, which he did in the twenty twenty three film The Iron Claw.
Speaker 3: Perry, I want you to join your brothers in the rack. Yes, so I love that.
Speaker 2: We all he plays a professional wrestler and a real person Kerry Yvonne Eric. That gave him the confidence to be able to try something that for any act would be a much bigger leap, which is to play one of the world's most recognizable rock stars.
Speaker 1: Ever, it's interesting, isn't it when an actor is trying to represent a real life person, especially in someone who we know very well. You know, how much do you try and kind of mimic their characteristics and adopt their accent or interpret it your own way. Bruce Springsteen was actually on set for a lot of the filming of this movie. How did Jeremy Allen White deal with that?
Speaker 2: How would anybody deal with that? Think about it. If you're Jeremy trying to portray Bruce, while Bruce himself is watching your every move on the camera, monitorsays, what a freaky thing to try and achieve. So Jeremy described to me that in that first week of filming, where Bruce and his longtime manager John Landau was sitting outside watching, he had to eventually go and ask Bruce, hey, can you give me a bit of space here, just so I can get my sea legs and get a feel for how to do this thing, which Bruce understood, and he went away for some time, but oddly he kept coming back to the set. He wanted to be there. He wanted to see them make it, which is a really interesting decision for a now seventy six year old man to make. To watch this really troubled, uncertain, pretty dark period of his life where he physically isolated himself. Bruce wanted to see that done again from a distance. And I guess with all the experience and knowledge and wisdom that he's gained since those.
Speaker 1: Years, society has changed a lot in the forty years since Bruce Bringsteen went through that. You know, in twenty twenty five, it's pretty normal to talk about mental distress or struggling with your emotions. That was pretty taboo in the eighties. And I guess, especially if you're a rock star, how do you think they've brought that to life, And what was it like to recreate that for Jeremale and White.
Speaker 2: You're right, Bruce had a breakdown which led to him seeking professional help, which was therapy. I think that Bruce was himself. I don't know if embarrassed is the right word, but I'm sure about revealing that part of himself. He described to Warren zanes the author of Delivering Me from Nowhere, that he spent the first few years of his therapy sneaking in and out of visiting the person who he had chosen to speak to. So the question is, of course, how do you show that on screen without it being dull or boring or uninteresting. It requires a magnetic actor, which they certainly have in Jeremy, but it requires a really smart script, which Scott Cooper, the director wrote, based on Warren Zaneser's a book.
Speaker 1: Coming up. So can Jeremy Allen White convincingly channel the boss.
Speaker 2: A man stand or did well?
Speaker 1: How if there was ever a time when it was okay for actors to lip sync or to pretend to be playing instruments if they're doing a movie about a musician, it seems like it's over now. Timothy Shallamy sang and played as Bob Dylan in the biopic that he made a couple of years ago. Jeremy Allen White learned to play the guitar and sang Bruce Bringsteen's songs in character for this movie. How do you think he pulled it off? And what do you think about that choice of instead of using the original songs and lip syncing along to them, recreating them like that, you know, with a whole new voice.
Speaker 2: It's doing the whole thing on hardbone right. Easy mode would be to just like you said, lip sync and to fudge it and to have someone else's hands picking those strings and playing those notes. But Jeremy, as a committed actor, he started this project as a non musician. He had never sung, nor played guitar, nor played harmonica. He had to learn how to do those three things in a pretty short space of time in order to portray this very stark and vulnerable set of songs. There's no hiding in Nebraska. The recordings themselves are bedroom recordings. They're imperfect, and that is part of the charm and appeal for fans who loved that work. But Jeremy, he tasked himself with replicating exactly what Bruce did, and he did such a good job that during the recording sessions, Bruce himself said that he couldn't tell the difference between Jeremy and he. So that shows you the dedication that this man has taken to portraying Springsteen on film, And to go even further, he recorded those songs professionally at RCA Studios in Nashville, and Jeremy Allen White's recordings of Bruce Springsteen's songs are going to be released for the public to hear, so it's going to exist as an audio document as well his performance on screen. I think he's done a phenomenal job of playing those songs and portraying Bruce in his fullness, not just in his gestures and the way he speaks, but his way of phrasing in songs, his way of playing guitar and harmonica. And I think anyone who sees the film will agree it's impossible not to be impressed by the dedication and devotion that Jeremy has shown to the role.
Speaker 1: Andrew McMillan is the Australian's national music writer. Springsteen Deliver Me from Nowhere is out now. Warren Zane's book Deliver Me from Nowhere was recently republished in paperback via Crown Penguin Random House. Don't forget to check out our culture section live right now at The Australian dot com. Dot au, slash culture or in the Australians app. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and produced by Jasper Leek. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Kristen Amiot, Lee at Sammerglue, Tiffany Dimak, Josh Burton and Stephanie Combs.