Speaker 1: I love that twenty six the worst is behind us. We've got cost of living relief one point two million before the end of the Decode New York.
Speaker 2: Past from the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey and this is our budget special.
Speaker 1: Jim Charmers had to actually use the r word recession.
Speaker 3: We eat these policies and call it reform.
Speaker 4: There's no surplus until twenty thirty four.
Speaker 2: We're here in Canberra in the Australian's Federal Parliamentary Press Gallery Bureau in Parliament House. Hello, Breg Brown, Sarah Issen, Matthew Transton, under the close supervision of officials.
Speaker 5: Just as a reminder you of each agreed to not share information outside the room, only discuss it with others in the lock up.
Speaker 2: It's called a lock up because journalists get access to the budget papers six hours early at one thirty pm on Tuesday, and we're locked in to our offices.
Speaker 5: Surrender your mobile phone, smart watch and other devices.
Speaker 2: So we can't spill any secrets or do any insider trading. Before Jim Chalmers stands up to make his budget speech just after seven thirty pm, Speaker this.
Speaker 6: Is the most important and ambitious budget in decades.
Speaker 2: Today we decode a federal budget the government thinks will consolidate Labour's grip on power. When a budget comes down, you'll be amazed to learn they don't just hand us all the answers on a plate. The journalists have to dig through the tables in a massive stack of printed books to work out what's actually going on. Oh, there's about to be some SWEARINGSSI.
Speaker 4: Has taken not yet announce.
Speaker 5: Look at the billions there?
Speaker 7: Shit, how am i?
Speaker 2: Jeff Chambers is The Australian's Political editor. Jeff, we've heard of smoko and servo. Now we've got waow. I need you to say it in your accent and then tell us what it is. What o?
Speaker 8: And it made me think of you know, Albo and Jimbo down at the king O in Canberra cooking up a wato. And it's just another very highly political term. So we always heard about a thing called the Lamington which was a limido. So that was for low and middle income workers. And whenever a government didn't really want to go the whole hog on tax reform, but they wanted to give a bit of a sweetener out. They'd cooked this up and now labor have scripped it on doing anything really on bracket creep. You know, it keeps people happy, so they bake it in. They're saying that they're baking this in permanently, but it is also an instrument that you could take out at a future date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, working Australians tax offset. We knew it was coming because Matt Cranston, the Australian's economics editor, broke the story. We didn't know it was going to be baked in for at least the next ten years, maybe forever. What does that actually mean?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well that was It was devastating run up to the budget. It's unheard of for any media organization or a journalist to get typically the centerpiece populist policy, and Matt Cranston got that we have a cost of living crisis, the threat of recession, more rate hikes, and it's something they can do which they can argue won't drive up inflation. So it's one of those treasury political inventions.
Speaker 2: The government says it's about rewarding people who work as opposed to people who get income from assets or from savings. Does it also help labor win elections.
Speaker 8: Look in this day and age, what does two hundred and fifty bucks really mean. I'm sure people will pocket it, but when it goes through your tax process, you might not even really notice it because the cost of everything is going up. So I don't see this as an election winner. I think it's a stop gap towards what they're holding back to do before the twenty twenty eight election.
Speaker 2: Greg Brown is The Australian's chief political correspondent. Greg, we already knew this budget would contain big cuts to the National Disability Insurance Scheme and three big new tax changes negative gearing, capital gains tax and trusts. What we didn't know is how much that was all going to rake in. So what are the budget papers showing us?
Speaker 4: Well, the NDIS raises nearly one hundred and ninety billion over the ten years, so that is the main crux of the government savings. Very optimistic assumptions as well. It really is down to the government now actually delivering on that now, given they've baked it into the budget. But collectively it's an increasing tax of seventy seven billion over the ten years. So those measures bring us to a balanced budget in eight years time. So even with higher taxes and big cuts to the NDIS, there's no surpl us until twenty thirty four.
Speaker 2: The government had to break promises to deliver these changes. They sell it as reform rather than just revenue raising. Is it going to be worth it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, Jim Chalmers says that over the forwards these tax changes are broadly revenue neutral, which is right. They're actually revenue raising over the longer period, and he's sort of leaving the door open to maybe we can give a tax cut in the future, but we really should judge him on what he's doing at the moment. The risk, Claire, I think is that it can leave the impression in the community that all they're doing is raising taxes and it is an assault on aspiration.
Speaker 6: This budget is ambitious in the face of adversity. We choose the hard rate of reform, not the path of least resistance.
Speaker 2: Richard Ferguson, you're the Australians can for bot give me a verdict?
Speaker 3: Well, A Treasurer Chris Bowen and Prime Minister Bill Shorten have released an extraordinary budget. What are you doing about? This is a Chris bow and Bill short And budget No, it's.
Speaker 2: Jim Chalmers an Anthony Albanezi.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right. Oh I forgot. It's just that almost every policy looks exactly like Bill Shorten took to the election. Silly me is that the election he didn't win, that would be the election he didn't win. I am quite famously, but Jim Tarmers and Anthony Albanzi clearly believe that the Iran war has given them an opportunity to read these policies and call it reform.
Speaker 2: Anthony Albanese's the master political tactician of his generation. Is this showing Bill Shorten that this is how it's done. You white until a fifth budget and then get it in there.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that might be how Anthony ALBANIZI might say it. It was interesting The Australian reported just before the lock up that there had been a briefing note going around labor MPs which gave the seven different options to explain how the government had broken their promises when it came to not touching the Bill shortened policies on negative gearing, capital gains, tax trusts, etc. Etc. So they're trying to really frame this as these are the right policies for the right moment, and they did get away with it with the Stage three tax cuts. At the last election, Albanezy said I'm not touching the bill shortened policies. He's definitely touching them though.
Speaker 2: Paul Kelly is The Australian's editor at large. Paul Jim Chalmers says he's helping, not harming, in the war on inflation.
Speaker 7: Do you buy that there are good things and bad things about this budget? The point to make is the forecasts given the global energy crisis, are fairly optimistic. The government thinks we can get through that, okay. It's also, of course preparing for a major political war on taxation given the changes on capital gains to negative gearing, and the government clearly thinks it's position well to win that political war despite the broken promises, because it's going to pitch to a new generation of younger voters. So in that sense you can see Labor readjusting its position. Overall, most of the budget's savings come from the NDIS and they are incredibly large. What this means is that DUS savings now drive the fiscal consolidation and the return to surplus. If the NDIS savings aren't delivered, then fiscal policy doesn't work.
Speaker 2: It's really hard to make those cuts in a fiscal way, but also in a moral and ethical way. For the Albanese government, they are going to face families saying that they've been cut off and that this is not fair, that these are not labor values. Is it worth the risk for labor to make those cuts.
Speaker 7: It knows the program is out of control, it knows the program needs to be reformed, and it's attempting to turn that into a political and financial plus. I think the other important point to make here when it comes to taxation policy is this new tax offset. This two hundred and fifty dollars going to each worker across thirteen million Australian workers. This is a golden chance for the Liberal leader Angus Taylor to outsmart labor by excelling, by excelling what Labour's doing. Taylor should announce in his Thursday night reply to the budget that the Opposition is committed to the full indexation of the personal income tax scale. That is a superior tax reform to what Labour's proposed, and it probably means that the margin a greater concession to workers than what labor has proposed. But above all, it would give Taylor a chance to seize the tax initiative and to introdesce a bold policy, and bold policy is certainly what he needs at the moment.
Speaker 2: Dennis Shanahan is The Australian's National editor. Dennis, we know Jim Chalmers is an ambitious guy. He keeps telling us. So he also says he's impatient. This is his fifth budget and all those budgets we've been waiting for some genuine reform.
Speaker 3: Is this it?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. The budget has suffered from being oversold and really an underachievement because what we've seen and I think Jim Chalmers's treasure would always have wanted to change capital gains tax.
Speaker 7: We know that.
Speaker 1: We know that from previous times. We know that he wanted to change the negative gearing, so we know that this is where Jim Chalmer's heart is. We also know that this is where he wants to help workers way journers, and that's partly what they're talking about. Is this changing the balance between way journers and investors. Of course, a lot of those way journers are investors as well. But I think that the problem here is that it doesn't go as far as Jim Chalmers would have wanted to. And I think the reason for this. Part of the reason is that we've seen reports and the Prime minister's behavior suggesting that he has been in charge of the budget process in a large part, it's his budget, and I think part of that problem is that the Prime Minister is incredibly timid. He is afraid of upsetting voters that don't mind upsetting older voters. Now because we've seen older voters who traditionally support or more disproportionately support the coalition shifting to one nation, so the threat of older voters forming a block and voting for coalition MPs, against candidates against labor people has diminished. So they can afford to say up you to the older voters while appealing to the younger voters. And I think that that is the Prime minister's political strategy, and for old Jim Chalmers trying to say this wasn't a political document, it is a highly political document and the Prime Minister wants to shore up the younger vote, which was their strength at the last election. We know it was the strength at the last election because they actually lied to older voters all of these changes they lied about, and so what we're seeing is they were worried about the reaction to older voters at the last election. Now they're introducing them because the older voters are no longer the political threat they were.
Speaker 2: If that's still not enough budget for you, go to the Australian dot com dot au. It's where the scoops keep coming. This episode of the Front was presented by me Claire Harvey, produced by Kristin Amiott and edited by Jasper Lake.