Speaker 1: Hi, my boris and this is Straight Talks Joseph Acuso. So Ali, welcome to Straight Talk, mate. Obviously they head one hundred you because someone who may be able to save the side. Do you feel pressure?
Speaker 2: The reason I wanted to go was always I wanted to play on a Lions tour. I still remember to this day the kid I watched it on TV and I was like, this is what I want to do one day.
Speaker 1: Do you think it'll encourage other younger blokes to continue on the rugby union path?
Speaker 2: You know what? I hope when we do play this spring tour and a Lions tour and a home Woord Cup, I feel like a lot of kids are going to be inspired to play in a green and gold jersey or warortized jersey. I feel like that's probably the biggest thing for you know, Australian rugby.
Speaker 1: You did get selected for Origin. In one game of Origin, we didn't last long. Can we just quickly talk about that what actually happened? Joseph Acuso, So a LEI get that right? Mate? Didn't I practice morning? I want to get right and I want to get right otherwise nickname at the Russes at least sou welcome to straight tow mate.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: It's cool, really cool. So we got you on this show, your med training. Now you're in the Wallabies. Not in the Wallabies that they haven't announced any at least and.
Speaker 2: Actually announced it the hour ago. So oh really yeah yeah, yeah that's so cool. I know. Yeah. I was actually yeah stoked. Yeah, family were calling and everyone was happy, so mad, everyone was over the moon.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, honestly, like seasons just finished and yeah, just straight into we had a camp on Monday Tuesday last week and then yeah, just straight into it.
Speaker 1: I knew you in the camp. I didn't realize it was so it's just been announced. Man, that's mad. Yeah are you feeling yeah?
Speaker 2: Good? Like it's actually yeah crazy, Like I was saying before light, it's the whole year. I was just looking at like like this time now, I've been reflecting a lot over like the last four years and especially this year as well, and how everything just honestly, it has gone so fast. It's gone way too fast. I just kind of you know, yeah, even now just been in the Lollaby squad, I'm just like, you know, just stoked.
Speaker 1: And just what position did they call you out?
Speaker 2: There's no no position. I haven't had a proper position where I've been training or.
Speaker 1: Anything announced twenty or what are the announced?
Speaker 2: I think how many is it? I noticed two squads as of Wallabys A like Wallabies A and then the Wallabys are going on a spring tour, so yeah, I'm not sure how many in the squad.
Speaker 1: Do you have any idea where you might be playing that?
Speaker 2: I think I spoke spaited a coach like thirteen fifteen that's where like I'll be training and then they just see where where I would go from.
Speaker 1: There for a meneral audience. What is thirty and fifth?
Speaker 2: Thirteen's outside center and the fifteens a full back? So you ever a preference? Not? Not really, to be honest, I grew up playing yeah, thirteen fifteen wing. I've always played like a lot of positions growing up in union. Yeah, a bit different league we played like growing up in the league, I honestly just played fullback five eight, I was it. I never ever played in the center or wing. I was always four bout five eight like the swim psition. So yeah, that was good.
Speaker 1: So I like to go back a little bit. So a lot of people do know you, but a lot of people don't know you. A lot of who know you, they know of you now. But let's go back to young Joseph, going back years ago. Let's you're running only twenty one. I think you're in twenty one.
Speaker 2: Don't ye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go back to when you're when you're at Penrith, before you went off to King So what's the deal. Like your dad samone.
Speaker 2: From somemhow or born in yeah, born there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so your dad and he's married to your mum obviously, but your mum's background.
Speaker 2: As what Cambodian Australian.
Speaker 1: Cambodian Australian. Okay, so that's an unusual mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. Yeah, some old man. He come over from someone when he was maybe twelve or thirteen, like we'll get quite young. And yeah, mum was, yeah, brought up in Australia, grew up here. Her grandpa come over from cambode Yeah, when he was like maybe twenty or twenty one. And then yeah, I think like the Vietnam War happened over there and then he couldn't go back, so he ended up just staying, staying here, and then my parents end up meeting at a train station now Kingswood, Yeah, I think Kingswoold train stations were at a club out there actually, yeah, Kingswood train station. I think they met so yeah.
Speaker 1: And then junior.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Pendell Jr. Growing up played under fours or was that? Started at s Mary's and then under fire was that brothers, And then from there just played at Glenmore Park. Yeah, gone Park, Brumbies.
Speaker 1: Did you play footing in some More?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah he did, he did. He played. He actually played a little bit over here too, but he had my sister quite young, at maybe seven to eighteen. He had my sister, and then yeah, from there he just kind of just stopped playing foot and then after the kids. Yeah, he's looking.
Speaker 1: At the kids and is your mum sporty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she played a bit of volleyball on that little bit growing up. But she always says that My old man always says that I'll get more athletic athletic ability from him, But it's quietly in the background saying that it's from me.
Speaker 1: So who do you look more like? Though? Like I mean, because.
Speaker 2: Actually I look like my mom a lot. Yeah, but my old man he's like short and like stocky, so I don't look like, yeah my dad at all hype from it's weird. My uncle's all tall, So my dad's like he's really short, and you look at my uncles, they're all like tall, all like six three six four, and then my old man's like way on six foot but solid. Yeah, he's like yeah, he's built.
Speaker 1: Totally built. So that's a pretty unusual combination, by the way, sort of two totally different backgrounds. Yeah, yeah, what do you what do you think that culturally you get from that? Let's put sport aside, foot your what I just just put culturally, what do you get out of mum being from Asia background, your dad being from Pacific Islands?
Speaker 2: I think the from like Pacific Islands. I get a lot of that. Just being very proud of like family where I'm from sometimes like what can you say, very like outgoing. I can be outgoing, but from my mom's side, Mum's very like intrinsic, says my grandpa is very intrinsic, very you know, so spoken kind of thing like that. So I feel like I've got a good bars between both, yeah, ye and yang. But yeah, I feel like I get a bit of both from Yeah, like that outgoing and then you know when on my home, like when I'm comfortable around people, I feel like I'm very out there and you know, say we go out like I'm very dance around and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Joey runs that, as Joey runs that, so we do a little bit of that.
Speaker 2: But I feel like, yeah, culturally, I still want to learn a little bit more about my converting side. I feel like I haven't really tapped into that a lot. My old man used to try to teach me a lot someone and stuff, and I was going up, but I was a very I just didn't listen. I didn't listen.
Speaker 1: I wish it's interesting, Joe, because like I come from a mixed background mind there too, and one always dominates, but one ends up usually when the most people are like my dad's side's got more family, bigger family. It just sort of dilutes my mother's side. And but as I got when I've been start again, I just have become much more interested in the Irish part of it. But do you think that is it because your dad's sides a much bigger family, because and by the way some owns a Pacific Islands generally. I mean, I wasn't aware of this, and part of me for my ignorance, but I always knew that Pacific Islanders generally are very family orienteded. But when we had recently out of the roosters, out of the stadium, we got all the guys who are leaving and their parents and their wives or kids and brothers and sisters stuff like that, I got like blown away by the importance of family amongst all of you guys in our side, just in our team, particularly the ones and particularly the ones who are leaving, and there's a few like you and Jared, et cetera. And what you've sort of looked like to me, you guys, you've dragged along the Aussie guys as well, like to sort of participate the same way. You know, Teddy's got his wife and family there, and you know, like kaz Kiri, he's got his family. I can it's sort of like like they've seen you guys with your family elements, and actually you brought the best down in them. And I don't want to the rats are the same. I don't want to overplay it, but do you see that, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit you could, you could say, especially with my family, Like every game I've played, they've been at every single game, Like even my aunties, my uncle's my like extended family, like it've come to every single game. Like even we're playing Brizzy, they'll drive all the way to Brizzy to come watch. Even in Melbourne they all drive down.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's just like I've always you always felt out support kind of thing as you as you're playing. It's very I don't really say much to my family, say obviously I'll say thanks for coming and stuff like that, but it's a big thing when you're playing knowing that your family's in the crowd someway. Sometimes you don't see them when you running out, but it's very it's weird, it's like you can't really put words to a kind of thing, but it's honestly it's very comforting. Yeah, comforting like that you know if if my mum and dad are in the crowd and my cousins and all that, you know, you know forty thousand people are going to be in the stands, but you know about the people that you're playing for and you know why you're doing it. It's very yeah, comforting because.
Speaker 1: It's funny and again sort of mostly this year, I've noticed it more than I ever noticed before. But and it's not just us, it's you know, they do it at Penrith, et cetera. But I've noticed and I don't know what is it? Lay? What's that the thing they put around your necks at the end of the game.
Speaker 2: I should know what it's called.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's sort of like a wreath, but it's not a wreath. It's a lay or something like that. And it's got like it's got lollies or something. What's going on there?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about. Oh yeah, so a lot a lot like lollies. It's just like, yeah, a lot of colors. Sometimes they put like tongus for their culture, like the like symbols and stuff behind it. Some womans might do it that the same. I feel like that's every like someone graduates from school. They would do it after a big game and while Stone like fatility and played his hunt game and his whole family come down and suddenly give his whole neck was totally Yeah, it was awesome. It's good. I feel like that's It's funny because the aunties would stay overnight just doing it. It takes a long time just even do one.
Speaker 1: The handmaking yeah yeah, he make it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's just it takes takes a long time. So I thought, like, that's just you know, a special from you know, your aunties, your uncles and every loved one would come and give you one. So and then most of the boys that don't give one to the boys kind of thing like that. So it's just like sharing a lover around.
Speaker 1: I've never really noticed before. This year seemed to be much more prevalent. Meant, I saw Penrith doing it as well, and I saw Spencer's family do it too, So just maybe you just for my sake, explained to me. Is it much difference you mentioned Toman, Is it much difference between someone and tongue and cultures?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're they're based around the same like family, religion, it's based around the same things. But there's it's very it's weird. It's like competitive, it's very competitive. It's very competitive. But at the end of the day, we you know, we love each other, but it's very competitive at the same time between tongs and someone you grow up and like you're proud someone you know and you're going to get the song and you're like no, no, some was better. Kind of It's always like that kind of thing. But at the end of the day, like when we come back together, it's like, you know, we're like brothers at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. And because what we in Australia originally have really any ever knew was Mari and and it's probably been over the last ten years we started to become I guess also with the Pacific Islands matches that have been played like they've been played at the moment, we Australians never really thought about Fijians as regul league players or as a real big culture or someone or Tongue and or Cook Island for that matter. We just looked at Mari. But what's become a really important part of our culture now in rugby league at least is all of them. And there may him be more that I haven't named. I don't know anymore, but there may have been. There may be more than I haven't named. As a kid growing up, were you aware of that when you were living out of Penrith or is it just normal out there, well, there was a lot of like Pacific Islanders.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I was just normal growing up where I grew up in, like Western Sydney. There's a lot of everyone. My old man's like he grew up in me Andre. That's what a lot of Pacific Islanders are like. When you played footage, you going against like, you know, Pacific Island. These boys are big. Like I'm saying, I was big as well when I was growing up. But yeah, I feel like it was just everywhere everywhere I went because why you know, my aunties and uncles would live around the corner. I was just brought up in that, you know, like a village, yeah, village kind of thing like that, and like obviously you know friends like dad's work friends would be you know, Pacific Honors, and then it was just always around that Pacific going even going to church growing up as well, it was always ad Pacific Islanders. So it was just normal kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So when you're I read some with that, were you a jumper? Yeah, yeah, I can't remember, like fifteen or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, So it was actually I started doing high jump maybe like four U five and then you're six, like in Primuel. Yeah, twelve years old. I honestly it was just dawner just to get days of school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you were good out of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, I alright trying to jump over anything. Now you'd be big. You're skinny kid, Yeah I was. I was always like maybe you four going into U five. I hit like a gross bert and I went up to Honestly, I was like six three, yeah, straight away like you five and you six see before in high school? Yeah, before high school, I had like no, yeah, I know because I was just like a normal like honestly, I was just normal high like skinny bone kid. And then yeah, I think you're going like five six around there is shot up straight to six three. My shoe sides went straight to fourteen, and I was just my mom was like.
Speaker 2: What's going on? Like I was getting to doctor and I was eating that one's food. I was crazy. I was like I still remember our home. I was just like eating everything and then yeah, shot up and then yeah I was six three.
Speaker 1: So we're always athletic at that point.
Speaker 2: I was always like nippy, like nippy fast. I was always around like football like my old man, and I used to like who kicked the ball like all day, like honestly with just any top of ball like basketball. Was just always like I was always out of the about. I was always just like fullot energy. I'm not sure if I had anything wrong with me, but I was always just like always outside, just like you know, just trying to do something. Yeah. So I was always like that as a kid.
Speaker 1: But were you playing footy in the panrithicon Rugby League and rugby n or just one of.
Speaker 2: The rugby League? And I started playing union to get days of school? Yeah, before kings in like ye five and six went to a school primary school in Glamwell Park ORed region for public school. And then yeah, it was funny because I, honestly I was just there's like a thing where you make like news of pub teams and like, so if you make a district team you get one day off, If you make state like ours was City West right, you get three days off, and then if you made the New South Wales team you get a week off. And then in year five I made like union and league, and then in year year six I made league, Union, Basketball, Athletics and AFL and then I was in contention for touch But then I couldn't because one of them crossed over. And then it was funny. I was actually shout out to more primary school teacher because she actually helped me big time because I was I wasn't at school. I wasn't. I was always out, like I was always playing and we was always used to have to travel and then always get back at the you know, sit down and study and then Yeah, it's honestly like, it was actually one of the best times in my life doing that, just like traveling around the state and stuff like that. It was actually great fun.
Speaker 1: So how'd you end up a king Is because that's a pretty expensive joint, pretty sort of elite place to get educated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was Actually it was actually funny. We train in year six at Kings and I said to my mom walking away from the school, I was like, Mom, like I want to I want to go here, and my mom like, Mom, like knew straight away. She was like she kind of not laughed at me, but she's always given me like belief and faith. She's always been like, son, like, you know, it's going to cost like sixty grand a year like one of these schools, and then me being O believing, I'm like no, I want to like I've always had that thing. I'm like, no, I want to do it, like this is what I want to do. And then anyway, I applied at different schools, like I applied to Scott's New Inton, I think as well, and Scott's gave me a scholarship like maybe like not a full scholarship, but my parents couldn't We still couldn't afford it. Anyway, Then I'm rolled into my primary, like my local high school, which was like Jameson High School, and then maybe the supporting school. I don't think it is. I think it's just like one of the local state school. And then in my head too, I was like still just no, I want to go to one of these schools. And maybe, like two weeks before orientation, the Penasenes will Panasene's at paramatter he got he was starting the eight at Kings and they they dropped my name saying like, oh, as a kid you know who wants to come here like blah blah blah, plays a bit of sport and stuff like that, I feel like he can be benefit to the school. And then I did my interview and then honestly like yeah, maybe. Then on the day I went for orientation at Kings, Like, I didn't have any uniform and nothing rocked up put a uniform on. I was just just gone, like just like just like that. It was just like, yeah, honestly crazy, but yeah, schools just yeah, the King's School was honestly not one of the best things that's happened to my family.
Speaker 1: And ill, yeah, no, it's well. And of course, you know, everyone heard about you. You know, I remember stories. I don't know, I don't even know if they're true or not. The kid nine, he's playing in the first fifteen and I don't know, were.
Speaker 2: You, Yeah, stuff like that. Yeah, I played first basketball in year seven. Yeah seven, Yeah, he's seven. I played first basketball in year seven. It was yeah, it was cool. It was we're looking back on now. I'm just like a lot of things I could do. Back when I was younger, I was just like just pure, just off, you know, just having fun. Just like obviously hard work too. My old man he was always train a lot as well, but I was just like, I was very full. I was very gifted as a young kid, but as well I always had that you know, that hard work as well. And then yeah, I played you know, you seven played first basketball, and yeah, you nine played first rugby, so that's true, true, Yeah, yeah, I was playing your first rugby first and nine as well.
Speaker 1: So and how much do you think playing rugby league in your early years actually help you at schoolboy level to play first in rugby union when you're apart from the fact you're much you're bigger than every other boy, and you know, and I guess, but how much is how much skill do you get to play in rugby league relative to helping you play at the top level at school level in ruby union.
Speaker 2: I feel like obviously you got the board, like the skill and the toughness of you know, you've got to play rugby league. But I feel like the different sports of like basketball, AFL, growing up even league helped even playing union or help me foreign here. I could play different sports by you know, just taking different parts of different sports into different things I played.
Speaker 1: So you borrow from skills you learn from different sports for the particular sport you might be playing on the particular.
Speaker 2: That yeah, yeah, i'd always yeah, I feel like you subconsciously just pick up on different schools and see you different ways of doing things on a footy field. Or basketball court and just apply it to whatever sport I was playing. I feel like that helped me quite a bit. Played at a young age, play first fifteen at a young age. I feel like that helped a lot.
Speaker 1: Most people wouldn't realize, but I mean, what six foot five, what are one hundred and ninety something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably like I reckon six or six five? Yeah, around your way one three, one o four, So.
Speaker 1: That's like a perfect weight for an outside back and particular. And then rugby in rugby league, were you sort of always around those sorts of ninety late high nineties when you're at school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like when I was in nine, I was around there like ninety, like around there like just under ninety kind of thing. Like fifteen yeah, yeah, I was very torn, like skinny kind of thing. Yeah, And I'm just like slowly just built muscle out.
Speaker 1: Because one of the things, I mean, I watch Plavery week for the last couple of years, but like one of the things I noticed is that you just run a people, you don't seem to give a shit, and you run flat out. There's no in between. For Joseph Lecky's sort of you know, some guys will change their speed at a certain point, you just when you get the ball. You just got the ball and you're going straight for it, and whoever on the other side has to tackle you. Were you always like that as a player as a young bloke.
Speaker 2: You know, it was actually funny. As a kid growing up, I was always playing my full back five eight, so I was always used to like using my hands, especially well when I was younger too, like yeah, I was always just using my hands. Step in more creative, more creative. Growing up. I feel like, you know, coming into the rooster system, it's all about you know, like power game, you know, power against the first thing and then play off that kind of thing, and then I'll come in as a winger. I was seventeen eighteen, and at the start, I was like I remember, like you know, Jazz is like come on, runner, Yeah, yeah, you got to get the you know, play the ball like and I'm like, I'll do anything for the team. That's why I always for the mentality. I've always had anything for the team. I never used to run the ball, like like growing up, I'm not always fast direct, yeah, fast direct. I'd always be like, you know, step blah blah blah, do like all this fancy stuff and then I don't know, I think when I was like, yeah, seven, my first year and second year NRL, I was just like, I'm just going to pin my ears back and just go like every time I get the ball board, just get like especially in yardage, I was always like, I don't care who it is, It's either going to go up the him or the gap or you know, and just try to get that quick playable for the team. And then yeah, I just kind of built that reputation coming in and then yeah, kind of just stuck.
Speaker 1: So everybody wanted you. I don't think you were eighteen or seventeen. I think everybody everyone was having a crack for him, because I remember hearing about it, you know, in various meetings in our club. And of course Russ was successful in the end. What does that do to a kid when you're seventeen years of age and you know people throwing money around, you know, you're in demand. How do you keep yourself in check? Like, you know, from a ego point of view, And I will say straight up, you never displayed any ego. We never saw it. Is that your parents or is that your upbringing? What's the deal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think parents. I think parents was the big one, or even the school I was at. It was actually the school player still in school. Yeah, I was still a school I was because I was boarding at school. I was living there, so I was always around my my good mates, my best mates. I'd always like sometimes I'll go back on the weekend. I always see my family. It was weird. It was a weird dynamic because I was always in the media, like media but at school at the same time. So I was just like I always knew. There was a lot of talk around myself. But to be honest, when I look back on it, I don't really know how I deal with it. It was just like next job, I kind of thing like that. It was just like I knew what path I wanted to go on, and I was right with that because I always knew, Like I was like, I want to play in an NROL when I'm seventeen, Like I've always had this thing in my mind. It's like, no, I want to do this kind of thing. And from there it's just always just been I want to do that, then my next thing.
Speaker 1: Do you read the papers? Though?
Speaker 2: When I was when I was first coming in like maybe I think I was in the papers when I was like maybe third in fourteen. I was saying I was the next for our coming through.
Speaker 3: I remember that and I was like, at the start is exciting, and I was like, oh cool, this is like, this is pretty cool being in the paper and stuff like.
Speaker 1: That, especially being sort of compared to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, straight away because I loved him growing up. I was like, this is one of my orders. I was like, oh, this is cool. Like I've been in the paper for the first time, and then you know, now it's like it's been a couple of times now and you're just like, now that the pressure starting to come into your head a kind of thing like that, and you're like you're thinking about it a little bit, and then you're just like I think at the time was just how would I say I was dealing with it? I was honestly just you know, staying with family. They were always you know, keeping me grounded.
Speaker 1: Your dad.
Speaker 2: My parents don't really say a lot. They're very comforting, like the way like just their presence there is very like comforting. But I've never had my parents. They're very they don't talk a lot, and they're very How could you say it very loving people. I think I think just the love from them to myself always, I just knew that that's enough, that's enough, that's all I needed. That kept me comfort, just you know, just keep on playing footy, just loving the game. Things like that. I think that really helped me a lot.
Speaker 1: We're aby to get you exempted to play underrated. Well it's called a utrage, but earlier than most. When your first game to anyone, who's your first game against Broncos with the Broncos say well in the first grade, kid, and give you a good clip.
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't not really honestly having like a blur like my first NERL game, because I was I was still a SCAR member, still a school Like. It was funny because I was like any day, but we're training boys at the off day. But I was like sitting in class at school. It was actually funny. I used to go into class and I used to cut me in because I was like, I was never at school, Like, I was never at school. So especially my best mates a little bit of one who areing like, oh this guy's back at school kind of thing like that, but I was never there. But going back to the game, yeah, honestly, just happened like a like a blur. I played five games that season. Yeah, I don't have my foot injury.
Speaker 1: So because we were worried you were going to get hurt. Because I remember Sonny Bill when he first started playing. I mean, he used to do a lot of shoulder charges on blokes, and I think you might have even done a couple of should charges over you years. But but I remember he got injured a lot because he had He wasn't a man at that stage. You didn't have a man body. You're still developing, not boy's body, a teenagers body, I guess, because you were still a teenager and we were concerned. I was always thinking of, so have this kid doesn't get injured, badly injured. You got your you did your foot, Yeah, my Liz treaking my my left or some weird thing. What is that called from.
Speaker 2: Somebody from a whrse? I don't know something like that. Someone tried to explain to me some small thing though. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like a separation in a in your foot. You go fire, you got bones in your foot and a little bit of separation can like do you miss a kind of thing like that? And I was out there for like five or six months.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, because I thought it was like, god, you know, I hope he hasn't sort of sort of done like a permanent injury. Keep repeating itself. But when you played first played in those first five games, did anybody give you a tickle up like our bikes they come on, get up.
Speaker 2: No. I was like, I remember one guy went against It was against Pander. I think it was my third or second or third game. I think it was Fisher, I think because I was playing center at the time, and I'm like, you know, kickoff carries and the you know, they run and yeah, and I was like I was like, oh, here we go. And he's like looking over and I'm like, oh god, here we going, and like, you know, just trying to tackle them. But I'm got like, you know, I've got hit and he's coming up at the top said something and he didn't. He's in the game like saying something. But I was just like I was the first one. I was like, Okay, I'm here, like you know what I mean, like an RL standard kind of thing like that. Yeah. Yeah, but that was good, probably good. Yeah, it was a good thing I needed it like kind of things. So because I.
Speaker 1: Only remember you, you nailed a few blakes. I can't remember who specifically now, but you did nail a few blokes, particularly when you're playing out. It might have been out on the wing. Come he came in, and you did hit a few like pretty hard in your early stages. In your early stage like like full front, just full speed, totally fearless. It was definitely a teenager like inexperienced REGU League player, real player, but definitely a teenager fearless. Do you remember doing that? Like did you pick out Blake? It was someone I just want to really put him.
Speaker 2: Down, like like now because I know like this like system and stuff like that. I know when so I picked my times come out come of like when not to and what to do? You know, Like when you first come in, it was just like all right, who can I smash? It was just like, yeah, who can I run out and kill? And who can I you know, like a smash kind of thing. And I was just like it was like that my first couple, you know, the first couple of games in l.
Speaker 1: Does somebody grab hold of you in the club, in the team, I should say, in your team and and sort of not becoming your mental but like I don't know sort of your guide. Is there any one particular person.
Speaker 2: I'd always say it's a always four people have looked up to the club, and it's always been Jared Ria har Grays, Luke Keary, Daniel Tubo, and Joey Minho. And I feel like I've always gravitated towards them for I've always I'm I'm real good mates with Daniel, I'm good mates with all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I've always just taken Joey and Daniel helped me like big time coming in when I was first like during school, you know, take me under a wing and just show me in the ropes and how like I knew I could always train and stuff like that, but just the little things you've got to know to play playing in no role. And I was always just asking him questions and they're always you know, good, good back to like back to me as well, just you know, just show me different things and different was that Yeah, two talks a lot. He was my room this year, so yeah, yeah, yeah, I was. I'm always that young kid, always just annoying him. So's he's one of the best men, like one of the best people you've met in your life. He's a great man.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that the ones you just named other than Tubes are just and resigned, but the others are going like and yourself. I mean it's and then obviously still as well, although he's going to Canterbury, but Dews are sort of going out of the game. Well two of them go to England. I mean, jar is going to go. Someone said to me in England in the in the Super League competition, you can't hit above this part of the chest lake rope union. And we'll talk about that for you in a moment. But I don't know. I said to Jared, man, are you going to go tackling below that? I said, you'll probably play three games for a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I are going to have a lot of holidays there. I can see that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's like I don't think he's ever tackled below the chest. I don't ever in his whole career. So you you, you've had a great career. The ruses, I mean you and you've met some great people. You're an extraordinarily important part of you know how Robbo built a team and you know out out the way we play, you played, you did get selected for Origin, had one game of Origin. We didn't last long. Can we just quickly talk about that?
Speaker 2: Was that?
Speaker 1: I know you you don't have any malice in you. I know you don't play with malice. Yeah, I mean they're not everyone's like that, but you're one of those people doesn't have any malice. So I can't imagine when it happened. I can't imagine that you went out there to take your head off. What actually happened? Did he slip under you? Was you just too high? What was it? Judgment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I look back on it now, and even just the whole lead up towards a game, I was very excited, Yeah, pumped up. I feel like I learned a lot just about playing them big games, about okay, what's my process going into the game kind of thing. I feel like I was very excited. You know, I wanted to go in straight away get a carry, which like I always want to start the game fast.
Speaker 1: Is it because that makes you settle down a little bit because you've had to carry or yeah understable?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah. Every time I go in the game, I'm always trying to find a carry just to get into the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like, is that settle your nerves down something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit. I feel like you can go missing in games as well, like if you're not going to get in, Like I remember my first couple Arrow games, like you know, I'm watching the game. I'm not even playing a game because I'm watching it. Whereas now I feel like, all right, give me a carry, give me a tackle, get myself involved in the game, and then I'm in the game kind of things like that. And I was always a thing I wanted to do in the first the first game.
Speaker 1: Just manage to did he say that type of thing? Does he come to Joseph, You've got to get in early, get started?
Speaker 2: Not really, I feel like I was just I've been working a lot with a sports s like I feel like, and I always each week would go into a game and be like, all right, how are we going to target this game or how are we going to like what's the plan going into it? And it's always been very simple for myself just to get to carry early and get into the game kind of thing. And with the Origin game, I feel like I did that, got a quick carry and then my next thing was all right, let's let's get involved by making a decision or a tackle. And then I saw Walsh come down the short side and I had Gussie and my three men and I'm like, all right, you know, looking back on it, I shouldn't have went. It was a Gussie was my inside Like it was in yardage too, so I didn't I didn't really need to go.
Speaker 1: It should have been his tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, well he would have like did it would have went out at the back and then Gussy obviously whilst you got speed, but I trust Gussie to get there. Like looking at it now, like I shouldn't have went, But I'm always on a back my instinct and my.
Speaker 1: So is that an example of your you using your instinct over your judgment? And how often do you have to do that in rugby league?
Speaker 2: Oh, You've got to do a lot. I feel like I feel like you need to have that, you know, logical and then you've got like your instinct kind of thing. And I feel like the more games you play in NRL, the logical starts to come up a lot. I feel like when you first come in it's a lot of like instinct, Yeah, but you still got to keep that instinct. I feel like that's where you get some of the best players in the game. But I feel like if you have a balance between both, that's where you.
Speaker 1: Get trying to work out where you're optimistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you got to find out like what works for you kind of thing like that. So, yeah, like going back to the tackle, I should have not gone, but I did go back my instinct. You can't pull out. I can't pull out, like I'm not going to pull out. I should have maybe had like smaller feet going into contact if I look back on it.
Speaker 1: Small feet, so.
Speaker 2: When you tackle, you tackle with your feet, and the best tackle has always have like short feet going into contact. I was crying short steps, yah, short steps on that. Yeah, but you know I was covering a big distance, so I should have shorter feet And then.
Speaker 1: Can I just does that mean if you're running towards Welsh you can take your big steps to get there in time, but then as you get there, you should shorten your steps down steps up to you know, leager to give you go laterally or Yeah, if you.
Speaker 2: See Stephen Crichton or Joey Man, you're very good. You get into the space and then short feet and then your last foot should be you know, if you want to tackle your right shoulder and you're right, right foot should be right where they are kind of right. Was if you go big steps, you're gonna So it's that technical. Yeah, it's technical too. And then yeah, back to the tackle. I watched it. He did slip, he did sleep, and more height I could have been, Like, honestly, I didn't mean to hit him in the ahead. I didn't mean to hit him ahead at all, but to hit him in the chest, yeah, I would. I love to got the chest.
Speaker 1: Like, if I have the chest, are you thinking that I want to get him in the chest?
Speaker 2: No, Honestly, I don't really think that. Like, like I said about that logic corn is stick. I feel like I've been a lot, you know, on the instinct side when I play, Yeah, and I feel like it was just honestly, it was just an accident. I didn't obviously, I go into a game saying I want to play with an intense intensity and blah blah blah. But yeah, when I hit him in the head, it was just like I didn't know if I was on to get I didn't because I didn't know I got him flush on the head until I got back and I saw it on the replay and I was like, I didn't know, I want to get set off. He made the right call, Like at the end of the day, he made the right call of sending me.
Speaker 1: Off, and you feel like, like, what's the feeling goes through you win? He has Joseph over here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I thought, like, I don't know a slide chance if I was wanting to get like ten minutes or something like that. But I knew, like you know, you know, once you're you know you've done something, You're just like, yeah, he gets sugned off and you kind of walk in the change rooms and then you just the first thing you think about as the team, because you know, you trained that whole ten day camp just to get to this game, and you know you want to you want to win. Well, you want to win. That's that's how I feel. And and yeah, you just felt like you let a lot of people down. I feel like I let the team down. And that was the main thing. I feel like I let the team down. And what do they say to you when I was very confident, like everyone was very they knew like I was like very like disappointed kind of thing like that. So they knew, like I get around him. There's still two more games. There's still two more games. So everyone's very magic, say Madge magic said the same thing. He didn't mean to, you know, like to go for his head, and so like it wasn't it wasn't a thing of anyone getting angry or its actually very Madge brought me into like the King for game two, and I put me an extended bench for Origin three as well, So I saw that, which was very good, just to be still part of the you know, the New South Wales. Yeah, even though and he played a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: But by the way, should before in pride of that? Actually you in Vegas?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked in Vegas. Yeah, how good was that? That was? I was there?
Speaker 1: It was for me I was expected to, but like how good was for you as a player?
Speaker 2: Ah, like even just the whole lead up because we went to l also l A. Yeah, you say label training there. I feel like I was one of the best experiences I've had my life. I really yeah, just like I've always loved traveling. That was always a you know a thing of myself I've always loved traveling and just try, like, you know, I know, the world's big, so I've always you know, I always wanted to experience different things. And you know, being able to go to u c. L A And train there, what else we do? I think the Raiders facility. We train there, went to an NBA basketball game, watched Lebron play. I'm one of my favorite players. Yeah, watching Lebron play like live, that was cool too, But I just experienced it with like, you know, your best mates as well. I feel like that's just even like going to dinners and stuff like that. It's just like, yeah, it look back at it now, I'm just like, man, it was pretty cool, and.
Speaker 1: I guess I really can't go past it. I have to raise it before I get onto the rugby union. But Nick, what do you what would you say about Nick? I mean, everyone you know he often referred uncle Nick and all that sort of stuff, the godfather, regul league, blah blah. But what what was your experience with Nick Poloit as that chamman.
Speaker 2: I first met Nick when I was, you know, seventeen, because I was deciding to come where I wanted to go. I was on a union or stay at rabbit O's or come to the Roosters. And I remember I was sitting down. I went to his house, went to Nick's house in Need the Opera House, and you know, went up. I was like, oh, this is not like you know, this is nice, this is cool. I've never been to one of these fancy the houses before. But I think straight away, like Nick doesn't say it, like, he doesn't say too much, but he's very the same thing as my parents. He's very like confident in the way he you know, approaches you your parents. It's all about family for him, and he's always he's always included myself, but there's always been my filming too, and I feel like that's always hit home for myself, and I think, yeah, Nick's always just if you need a hand with anything, you always know Nick's always always there for not just for yourself, but your family. And which is the biggest part of why I gravitated, gravitated towards coming towards the Roosters, because I just knew him straight away within meeting and Robbo, it was just yeah, that was the first two things. But Nick, well, honestly, he's a great man, doesn't say too much. But he's very back to the word company.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but he treats a club log a family.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, like the whole clubveryvery every every player just to myself, just like every player and their family. He's the whole squad. And I feel like the best thing we talk about as a crew to roosters even just like we'll go from midweek lunches or midwek dinners, you know, and he would take us out for dinner and we're talking to the board, like you know, like boys would say other clubs, I wouldn't even meet their board of thing like that. And then we always say like, man, like we got to go, you know, dinner's like you know, a Tuesday week and just go to dinner and meet the whole board and NIXT like you know, he's always looking after it kind of thing like that, and it's just like, yeah, you don't. I don't feel like many organizations have that.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I haven't been to any other different One'm about to, but I feel like, you know, everyone having that relationship with Nick. Obviously everyone knows knows him, but like I feel like us boys get to know him on.
Speaker 1: A That's right, because most people don't really know him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like what they read about him. Yeah, yeah, we get a great thing because we always we see him each week, like every couple of weeks we go for dinner. We always see him there.
Speaker 1: And he doesn't miss a game, and he's always and then there's the dinners he holds down the road from our studio down the road there, and and he knows what everyone's family is doing too, and he's interested.
Speaker 2: He's always he's always asking how the families are. He's always a genuine man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think with Nick, even though like you've read the things about you know what Nick has and blah blah blah, he's a he's a good human first of all. And what about Robert Robos A, he's a good man, rob Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean what has he done for you?
Speaker 2: He Yeah, he brought me in when I was young, like seventeen, and he's always you know, he's taught me the tough way of footy. First, what does that mean? The you know, the hard carries, the you know, the yardage carries, what else? Just learning like the off off board kind of things. I feel like when you're young, you don't really think about that stuff. The effort areas all that. I feel like that's the biggest thing that you know, Robbo has taught myself in aspect, but even just off the field, He's taught me a lot about in a spiritual sense totally.
Speaker 1: Not many people know that about him, but he's.
Speaker 2: Very spiritual and I feel like I've learned a lot. I've always loved that spiritual stuff. I love learning as much as I can and just like just seeing what works for me. And I feel like he's, you know, brought a lot of that into my life, which I'm grateful for.
Speaker 1: Because are you religious in your family?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Parents, yeah, Christian?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a lot of because a lot of the Pacific Island is very religious and in some of the clubs you see them even praying before they go into the game. Is your family like very religious?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it was an important.
Speaker 1: Part of your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so my my my dad's old man, my grandpa and some more. He's a he's a past over there, so he's always praying for us and all that. Yeah, Like I've gone to church a lot, but yeah I haven't. I haven't really been like lately, I would save for me personally.
Speaker 1: Your dad's listening to this soul. He's going to go. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going to go. He he don't worry, he's not going to trash it and he's going to go.
Speaker 1: He's going to go. Let's talk about Raaby union. Come on. So obviously they head hundred you or hunted you to get to other ruby union and it's there's no secret you're getting paid a lot of money, particularly compared to what you get paid in rugby league, and they've recruited you as a as it to some extent, what it looks like is someone who may be able to save the save the side because the Australians, not Australians not doing well in rugby union. We haven't been doing well. First it was wartas and now it's well done you in Australian side. Do you feel pressure because you know there be other players whion't be getting this amount of money. Your new kid on the block come from rugby, admitted that you played rugby union, played at school and no one probably no one doubts your ability, but your credentials aren't there yet as a rugby union player, your abilities there and your credentials there. There is a rugby league player. Is that add pressure to you?
Speaker 2: I think first with the money, I thought, I feel like I don't play the game because of money. I've always, I've always The reason I wanted to go was always I wanted to play on a Lions tour. Like I was always a play against the pumps. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, like when I was because every twelve years that happens a Lions tour. And I remember sitting there as a kid and I was like, this is what I want to do one day is playing a line? Yeah? Well I remember as a kid, I watched it on TV. I watched when his debut. I watched it and Curly Bill had to kick the winner and his slipped and I remember sitting there and I was like burning.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I was like I still remember to this day and I was like no, like one day like I will play and I will play in the on to it and it's always says.
Speaker 1: The lines store coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so next year twenty five And the other thing was the home World Cup in twenty twenty seven, and even that like just a home World Cup. The last song was here was two and three, and that's when I was That's when I was born, and yeah, even just that for itself, and I was just like, the experience is going to have, you know, playing and travel and travel. I was like, this is like once in a lifetime kind of thing. And I'm like, especially while playing, I was like, this is what I'm going to do one day?
Speaker 1: And then is it just like a sunny Bill Williams moment like two Like, I mean, obviously wudn't play with the gil Blacks, but is that similar to it? Do you think it's a similar sort of feeling and the people like him reach out to you and say, hey, mate, this is sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: You should look at for oh, like to go to union kind of thing. Yeah, obviously I've got like a lot of support, Like you know, is he sunny Bill? They've always always know, having more corner to go for advice and stuff like that. But I've always it was funny, even before I started playing rugby league, when I come to the Roosters, I've always had like a vision plan of what I wanted to do in the next eight Like you know, I've always known what I wanted.
Speaker 1: To do strategically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I sat down and I was like, sat down, I was like this is what I want to do.
Speaker 3: This is what I want to do like each year as an achievement. Yeah, like kind of like goal setting or experience goal setting it.
Speaker 2: I was like it's like goal setting but also like a vision plan of like I would sit down and be like, this is what I want to do in my life kind of thing. And I always knew I was I wanted to play on the lies to when I World Cup and yeah I a Grand Final regular. Yeah, yeah, that was my I was like that was my thing. Had Union come asked me if I wanted to come there last year because I had an option of my deal, but I was always ex option favorite ru Yeah, the favorite Rusters, because in my head I was like this is this is like this is a year like ey like burns me out. We didn't you know, didn't get there. But yeah, in my head like obviously I want to, you know, win a premiership. That's always been as honestly burns me. I still burns you know.
Speaker 3: We got to the like you're only twenty one, I know that, but like it's just like there's anyway actually like yeah, I just like it's just the thing of you know, winning a premiership I've always you know, there was always a thing I've really wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Do you He is someone then who has your goals and you like you had to go through methodically tick them off and sort of say I'm playing down real I mean, you sort of got select foraging, but you never have had a full games. It's probably something still up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's always Yeah, I've always been a dream big guy. I've always you know, written down things of like this is what I want to do and this is and I'd write them down. And then that's why I've been working a lot more sports, because I've always been you know, just dreaming about different things. But I need to work on the process of getting that kind of thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I supposed to being a dreamer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dreamer. I've always been like a dreamer, but you've.
Speaker 1: Got to have the dream that's got to achieve it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to achieve it too. And I've always like now i feel like I've changed my mentality. I've been like gold driven to want to be more process driven kind of yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because the Goali can dream up in a day, but the process can take years.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like I love now I'm like taken it by day by day. Instead i'd been like, I want to win. We're going to win the premiership. How can I get better each day kind of thing?
Speaker 1: And would you think rugby union can help you become better?
Speaker 3: Say it regularly even understand I feel like young, Yeah, I feel like more kicking game will get better.
Speaker 1: Kicking is pretty good already, your goal kicking game especially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually ye pretty good this year. Yeah, it's been good. Yeah, it's been good. I used to honestly stay a whole day apart like a club park. We have a field called Chasitan Reserve. I used to go to the whole day. I want to go to the whole day because my parents always drive to get like groceries or something. They would know where I was because I was just always practicing. And then when the opportunity to come to the goalkicker, I was like, sweet, I've been doing this. You know. I had a couple of shockers at the start, like getting used to the crowded and get into the process of kicking that. But now I feel like I'm very confident, you know, going to union too. I feel like I want to I want to kick a goal kick as well. And yeah, I feel like that the skill of you know, learning how to kick left foot, right foot, spiral pass, your skill's got to be great to players Ruby union. Yeah, I feel like that's one of my strengths, been able to my skill. I've always loved working on my skill. But I feel like that's what I can bring, you know, say I play Ruby le one day again, I feel like that's what I can bring as well.
Speaker 1: We're expecting you there, you know, you know union and every for a little while, we're expecting you to come back. We want your back anyway, the rooster that is, I'm talking about it, and I think the ame Roagay League wants you back to and I think Origin would like you back, and I'm no doubt the Australian So I would like to have it back to it, you know. But like let's just talk about your rugby union. But what to expect in terms of ready union. So people like Gus feel goold, not Angus, but feel gold. But they all had a pretty big crack at you. It was pretty controversial. Young Blake too. You're only twenty I think at the time side it. What did how did you sort of process that ship, like especially when someone feel girl said something, Yeah, here's the door showing all that NBA. I respect Phil like what he's done for rugby League. He's done a lot like for the game, you know, even now of the Dogs. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I've always said I was like, I don't take it personally kind of thing like that, because it's just it's just he's heard the question. He's just he's going to make it about He's not having an attack on Mete. He's having an attack at Rubby Union, Ruby Union, you know what I mean. So I've always seen it in the fact of like I'm not gonna I'm not gonna take it personally. I'm just going to take it as you know, Phils just having a reaction towards something that's not doing towards me. And I've always I felt like I've always been good at dealing with things like that, And if I see him on the streets to day, I'll still go shake his hand and go talk to him and stuff like that, because I have no hard feelings of what, Yeah, I don't feel like you said anything bad anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, Peter Vland has sort of said, you're going to get bored and you'll come back to rub anyway, and of course ending world down very well in the rugby union world. But I look, you know, I've had people sitting in that chair ex Roby union players, the current coach of Ramwick Stevie Wells, who basically said Robune has got a problem HM and Austrain Rebune. I'm talking about at the probably at every level, but at this train at the not so much of the club level, because he said the club level is pretty good, it's alive and it's booming, but at the elite level we're not doing that well. And just I understand it nearly looks like by signing you up it looked like a poach. They've poached you out, one of the the up and coming rugby league players, a young guy who has had rugby union experience, like a bit of a superstar. They've plucked you out, poached out out of the rugby league system to make to try and to prove the rugby union system. And that therefore is nearly an admission that there's a problem by the top of administration at the time. By the way, it's not now. There's a different administration now, not the same administration nearly like an admission. You watch rugby union obviously, do you feel as though that they need to I mean we need to change the results, that's for sure. They're shitty results and they're not results Australians are proud of got a new coach. Do you feel as though rugby union needs driven? If so, what have they got to do? Like, what do you think the issue is? Is there recruitment?
Speaker 2: Well, look like we were play like GPS rugby. A lot of league boys do, and then you know, when you're sixteen seventeen, like boys are trying to see like wherever I'm going to get, you know, signed to the league. The league club has always come obviously. I think it's starting to change now too. I think Gussie was the first Angus Crichton was the first one of the first players to be like I'm not I'm not going to play. I'm not gonna wait till twenty one to play. I want to play when i'm eighteen. I feel like that was the case back then. I feel like it's changed a lot now. I feel like I think this year they signed a lot of the eight as boys that Freddy's boy. Yeah, Freddy's Boy. You know, they've they've signed a lot of players in the you know eighteen. I feel like they've signed most of them EXCEPTN one or two. But I don't know. I feel like it's not for me to be like how how how are the organizations when I change? I feel like I'm going to leave that to them for like what I can bring, you know, towards you know, the war retards first and then is like for like that. I'm not going to say it, but I want to change everything. But I'm saying I feel like, you know, by me, you know, helping you know, other players, helping myself.
Speaker 1: Just to encourage other younger blokes. You've been there and say, Okay, I'm not going to go to rugby League. I'm not going to go to AHL or whatever the case I'm going to get. I'm going to continue on the rugby union path because you know, just.
Speaker 2: You know what I hope because I feel like when we do play this Spring Tour and the Lines Tour and a Home Ord Cup, I feel like a lot of kids are going to be inspired to one day I want to play in a green and gold jersey or warortized jersey. I feel like that's the biggest grab coming into this next three or four years. I feel like that's probably the biggest thing for Australian rugby. You know, we do win games and we see the young kids in the crowd or you know, fifteen sixteen year olds being like all right, this is what I want to do one day. I feel like that's the biggest And.
Speaker 1: Do you feel easy you have an obligation to sort of draw these younger kids along, like, you know, as a because you know, at some stage you already become a sort of a senior not a senior RPE union player, certain you're getting into that sort of league league senior area in terms of years at least. Some of the mine is by younger blokes to follow through in the rugby union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel I love that responsibility. Yeah, I feel like, you know, I love that. I feel like I'm a good guy off the field. And then one time in the film I'm trying to win. I feel like that's anything not winning. I'm not going to walk walk past. I'll do everything in my in my world and my time to be like everything's towards or how can we win this training session on Tuesday leading.
Speaker 1: Up to the winter training session. What do you mean how do you win train well?
Speaker 2: Like for me personally, i'd be how am I going to prepare for the day, Like I'd wake up the right way I'd wake up. I'll get my good hour of sleep being my routine. So I'm best for that training and I'm set, like I feel like setting the standard for you know, I'm not setting the standard. I know everyone has their own processes of what they do. But if I'm best at my training session, I feel like that's just when I helped towards the game kind of thing like that.
Speaker 1: That's funny, just funny should say that because I remember years when sunny Bill came back to the Rousters. Someone told me, I can't remember aways might have been the coach, but said that Sunday came in before it, got in before everybody else. And I remember hearing stories about you getting in before everybody else too, and coming in by train from your family's home when you're at school. But Sonny came in before everybody else. He had a clipboard and he was there doing video sessions before everyone else got in, and his there taking notes the whole training session and what I was told is that everyone else is watching him and the whole standard lifted of everybody, and no one asked him to that. That's just his natural, perfectionist sort of personality. Are you that type of person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I'm not a person to go tell oh, I do like you should do this, do that to anyone else. I've always been, you know, focused on what I do. I feel like I get in early. I feel like my preparation has always been for myself. I've always seen that as a big thing of how I can prepare for the game in you know, visualizing or you know, stretching or I've always found that there's a whole whole thing that goes around footage just just not been just not you know, just training and passing the ball, blah blah blah. I feel like it's a lot of things that you need to put towards the game. And I feel like, you know, do you have like a process?
Speaker 1: I mean like I mean, like let's let's pick at any one day, you know, you've got to go to training and let's say there's a game, big game coming up on Friday night or said day. What would you be a routine on like on a training day, like would you get about five o'clock or what do you do you get for a real extra run?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so say like I mean I'm in season, you know, I would get up early first of all, try to get everything your mental state right, uld go what do you do for that minute? Or go for you know, have a cold shower. Then I'd go for a walk and you know, just you know, try to take in pretty weird dude. I feel like I'm taken like nature, like trees blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then like walk down and go to a park and just sit there for me fifteen to twenty minutes and just sit and just like everyone has a different way of meditating. I feel like I just sit there and just visualize the day, like how can I best be best for like the day? Yeah kind of thing is that before you eat? And yeah, before I eat all that, And then I'll get my journal or journal every day and journal Yeah yeah, I a shtuld write stuff out, write stuff out of like I wouldn't say like right like oh this is why I'd write, like how things I want to, how I want to what I want to do today and send my energy towards different things, and then what else would I do? I would manifest different things as well about just the day instead of because I've always been that you know that dream, dude, I've always like how I'm going to attack today right now?
Speaker 1: Did you get help to learn how to do this that you do it? You as sports? So college just help you out.
Speaker 2: I feel like just a like this is of just you know, reading different things, listen to different podcasts, and I've tried a lot of things and that just haven't hasn't worked out. I feel like it chops and changes all the time too. Don't get me wrong, I feel like there not one set routines when I've been for the rest of my career.
Speaker 1: I feel like, but this works for you at the moment, at.
Speaker 2: The moment, this is what works for me right now, and I feel like that's you know, just doing my process each day helps me go, all right, this is how I want to take the day, and you know, get the training, you know, I feel like I get there early and then you know, start it just depends what we have kind of thing like that, and start like stretching, and I feel like different things I've learned from my trainer and different people and just you know, combine at all. And then once I know I step on the field, like I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: Are you strict on diet? Like the mini style diets?
Speaker 2: I feel like coming to boys like this is like, yeah, they're really strict. I feel like I was a couple of times when I first came in, I didn't really I don't really know about you know, different foods and that when you go up you just eat what's on the table kind of thing like that. You don't really Yeah, yeah, when you're a border to like eat school food. And then I feel like the more you learn about like grass for like organic foods, I feel like that's now in my diet. But at the same time, I feel like there's a there's a balance between what you need to do because you know, you can't be just straight the whole time. You know you've got to miss miss it up. Sometimes. Yeah, that's the best. I feel like that's the best thing. I have had some times where I've been, you know, too straight on and just like this is what I'm gonna do. I'm not going to touch anything else. And then I feel like You're gonna have freedom somewhere in your life as well, and I feel like that's the best way of doing it for myself. Anyone else are different, some people could be different, But for myself, that works for you most of me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But have you ever you have probably haven't played enough years, But have you ever off the preseason gone to the fest food?
Speaker 2: No? No, I feel like I've always see you a drinker. No, No, I don't drink. I've actually never had ahol at all ever. Really yeah, no, I never got interested, or my parents never you know, never drank. I've never seen him drink growing up, and I've always, don't know, I've always had fun without it kind of I'll go out like I'll go out still, and I always, you know, I would always. I feel like another person who helped me a lot was Joey Mine, who, like he doesn't he doesn't drink. He's very comfortable in his own skin. And then once I first come into n RL and I saw him doing that too, and I was like, oh, I want to do it, bro, that's my bro. I want to do what he's going to do kind of things.
Speaker 1: So that's amazing though. That's interesting because the amount of influence some of Joey Man has had on you and then you will have on others. Yeah, like down down the trail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny like Joey doesn't say too much, but I feel like a lot of I feel like myself, Like, well, I don't say a lot too. I feel like we kind of just pick up but observe, Like I feel myself, I feel like I observe a lot seeing what other boys do or even like say Daniel too, but he stretches a lot and I'll see like what he's doing, so I can, you know, and he would do a lot of ash and recovery. I'm like, okay, I know that's why he's been playing for so long. Obviously other things as well, but I'm all right, this is what I'm going to pick up on and then see different people doing different things, and then you just like I feel like that's one of my strengths as well, just observing and seeing how I can it to myself.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. You sort of like taking out the system what's best, yeah, and trying it, yeah, and see if it works. Yeah, if we stick to it. If it doesn't work, just guard it and get it onto something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even like Lindsay. Lindsay's very strict with his diet and I always ask quite like I sometimes I would ask him or what I asked people around here and be like, oh, what's he you know what I mean, and just quickly just you know, there's like observe and then try it if it works, and then yeah, I feel like that's just life.
Speaker 1: It's funny ask things about that. And he said to me, he's strict. And he said to me, made I'm playing up front row. He said, I've got to give myself my best possible chance. He said, so one thing I can control is my diet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Although Lokado sort of laid him out last week last Friday night.
Speaker 2: He's got three times I reckon now, but he's got Lindsay three times. Yeah, we got in the final. I got him twice in that game and got him in the test match test match. But yeah, he's always getting up and keep on going.
Speaker 1: He's a best his giant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a giant, huge Honestly, even in the Origin cameras, this guy's huge.
Speaker 1: His timing is good too, such a big man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got good time. He's got like good feet gone his contact as well, and he's high and he's just just pal.
Speaker 1: So, Joseph, what we're at the end now, and you've done a great job to by the way, so he didn't need to be nervous in the beginning. So because you're naturally at this and you're a good You're a good speaker, you're a good talker. You know, you know your stuff. What is the most exciting thing now that's ahead of you? Like just now, what are you thinking about right not today but not this minute, but right now in your life? What's the most exciting thing that's ahead of you? What are you really excited about?
Speaker 2: What am I excited about?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: I'm twenty one now, I think I'm very confident in my in my skin. I know who I am. I know like I love for my family. I feel like I'm very excited for you know what, I well rugby wise as well. I'm very excited to get to travel the world. I'm going to go a lot in this next three or four years. I feel like I'm going to grow into I'm a man now. I feel like I went from a kid to a man at the Roosters and I feel like I've learned a lot from mentors, you know, Luke Eary, Jared and Daniel and Joey. I feel like I've learned so much from them, and I'm grateful for allder friendships I've made there. But i feel like I'm going to my next path from my journey with rugby, and I feel like I'm a what I say, I think I'm a man in a sense of like, oh, I'm gonna attack every moment, but I'm going to get like playing rugby wise or I'm gonna you know. I feel like the skills I've learned and will learn, will you know, help me on the footy field and off the field. I feel like I've got to. I'm very I'm just very honestly, I'm very excited just what's what's to come with rugby. But yeah, I feel like even just off the field, it's as good age from twenty four to you know, twenty one to like, you know, in my next three four years of my life is very sign off the field and on the field as well.
Speaker 1: And You've been pretty lucky. You've only I think if I had one major injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had one major injury.
Speaker 1: So you've been pretty lucky in that. Not lucky. You obviously got the physicality not to get injured. You're probably also doing all the right things and probably not drinking probably helps. I think anyway, if you you know, quite possibly you could play to your you know, thirty four to thirty five, play either reunion or or come back the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no reason why not. And you and you won't get knocked about as much. And you're sort of playing out wide. You know, you're not doing hit ups. I just carry you do any yard and carries so, which means it'll preserve you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that seems to me like quite a clever, strategically quite smart if you want to build a long career, because you know, when you turn, when you stop playing footy whatever whichever code you're playing, you got to do something after that. Have you thought about what do I do after all that? I know it's a big care you're only twenty one, you're only just in the middle of it all, But have you thought about that?
Speaker 2: I was actually thinking about that. I feel like I haven't. I tried union for like a week, and I was very I said, I was like a zoom class. I saturned and I was like, Na, this is not for me. But at the moment, at the moment, I don't get me wrong, my Mum's always saying to me like you need you know, you've got to think about things outside of footy. I feel like footy takes on you know what I mean, like the energy of you know, like if you're off days, you think about how can I recover? How can I do this? How can I do that? How can I do that? But also I feel like, you know, having something else can you know, play a role in you know, having that slow part of being away from footy. But I haven't had anything that's really you know, come come to me.
Speaker 1: Nothing really excited yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing's really Oh I don't I don't mind learn about like property and stuff like that. I feel like I've learned a little bit, like a little bit of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 1: Because Lindsay has just done his mortgage course, yeah, and case Luke's done a Lucky has done a couple of university degrees. And you know these boys that you're probably they're much older than you, but there's they've thought about what they're going to do post footy. They've obviously got families and stuff too. They got kids, both got kids. They're thinking about those processes and you're way, you know, we need that at this stage. But at some stage, I guess it's important that you do think about these sort of things, and it's good that you just sort of just starting mulled over. But do your parents they say, Joseph, what happens if you get injured or Joseph, My.
Speaker 2: Parents are real like cruisy in a sense, like they trust me. Yeah, they trust me because I know I've always been just driven to do something. I live on myself. So I said, sometimes I said, I'm like, what am I going to do? Like you know what I mean, like besides footy kind of thing. But I feel like I love, you know, like meeting people and then you know, I wouldn't want, you know, say I meet someone and then you know, try their industry or like just just just try different things, but work like being experience, like experience. I feel like the paper and pen has never been territory, not my territory. So I feel like you never went to school because you're playing. I was never at school even in school year twelve year.
Speaker 1: You're playing in four different sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, I feel like that's where my journeys want to go where. Yeah, well I always said it. If I wasn't playing food, I feel like I'd be traveling, staying in hostels and you know, meeting different people and stuff like that. So I feel like something to travel or something. Yeah, I feel like I'm.
Speaker 1: Mad, Like you really love that idea of travel.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I've always loved just you know, I'll do things by myself like I don't. Obviously I love my mates and I love my family, but I've always had that thing of like nothing's holding me back from, you know, say something. Sometimes you know, people don't want to go to movies because I want to go with friends. I'm like, i'ld go to movies by myself. I'm very comfortable with my own skin, and I'm just like, if I want to do something in my life, I want to do it, like I'm not going to let nothing hold me back from doing it.
Speaker 1: You feel so you must feel quite free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like i'ld go sit down, like I always eat breakfast for myself. I'd always eat lunch or dinner. But obviously I love being around my mates. But I just like, I'm very very open to anyone wants a chat, but I'm you know, I'll sit there and you know, if someone's a chat to me, I'll chat to them. But I'm very not in a narc Yeah.
Speaker 1: At the same time, you're quite happy to be on your own yeaheah.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be on my own, like I'm happy to go.
Speaker 1: You know. That's a massive freedom, though, Joseph, to be able to be that person. Some people feel like they have to be attached to people all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've traveled to like Japan for two weeks for myself. I've done. I just want to Hamilton Oland for myself like five or six days. Yeah. Well, I'm not saying I love hanging on my mates and my family, but I do love having my own time. That's what I would, you know, That's what I'll be doing if I wasn't playing for you, I'd be traveling, traveling, staying at different hostels, meeting different people, trying to different languages. That's what I do, learn different languages. Yeah, well that sounds like a really free spirited person. Yeah yeah, yeah, you really free spirited as an individual. Yeah yeah, well maybe you've done.
Speaker 1: It's so proud. Your mom and dad and your family are really proud. Everyone of the Russes is really excited for you, looking forward to your new career. We're also looking forward to coming back. But and it's been a delight for us to have you around in our environment. And Joseph Acuso Suli, thanks very much for coming on, Mate.
Speaker 2: Than ver much.
Speaker 1: It's been awesome talk about