Speaker 1: Oh, Hello, Happy New Year. Thank you for joining us on the body and soul podcast called Healthy Ish. I am your host of Felicity Harley. To celebrate well all things New year summer, we are dropping our top Healthyish episodes from last year. Now, listeners, this is the last week we are doing this, so I hope you enjoy this chat. This one was with Bonnie Hancock. She's a former world champion iron woman who had a dream of becoming the youngest and fastest person to circumnavigate Australia on a ski paddle well two hundred and fifty four days, twelve seven hundred kilometers, sea sickness and many other things. Later, Bonnie joined us to share more stories of her adventures, listening to extra Healthyish as well, where she talks about the most terrifying ordeal of her adventure. You can search for Extra Healthy wherever you get your podcasts. Last time you were here, you were about to paddle, and now you've done it.
Speaker 2: Oh I was I remember speaking to you in twenty twenty one, a couple of months before I set off on my little ocean ski to paddle around Australia.
Speaker 3: I am back on dry land.
Speaker 2: I can move my fingers again, I can move my back the boulging.
Speaker 3: This sagone, so we're good.
Speaker 1: And can I just point out it wasn't a little paddle. He's just said little paddle. It was a mega paddle. Just give us a quick rundown of the amazing feat that you achieved.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: It certainly wasn't little, and it didn't feel like that by the end. But yeah, December twenty twenty one, I set off from basically my backyard on the Gold Coast at Mermaid Beach and I did a big clockwise loop around Australia. So it was twelve hundred seven twelve thousand, seven hundred kilometers I should say. I managed to break the world record by two and a half months, so I had to get back in less than ten and a half months to break that record. So I became the fastest person male or female to puddle around Australia and also the youngest, so was absolutely thrilled.
Speaker 1: Not just one your few? Was it three? I read three records? Or just two? What was the third one?
Speaker 2: Officially it was two, so definitely the fast youngest, which is an interesting little fact. Guinness World Records don't officially acknowledge the youngest anymore, because apparently there were so many children doing all sorts of crazy things to get records, they've now taken away the youngest to do so. But I also broke the record for the furthest distance puddled in twenty four hours five females, so I meant puddled two hundred and thirty five kilometers in twenty four painful hours. So yeah, picked up like one too well done.
Speaker 1: What was the highlight of the whole trip, I.
Speaker 2: Think sort of probably two aspecs is Mother Nature and experiencing the beauties and the I mean the terrifying beauty too of mother nature. Being one hundred kilometers out to sea and being told by your skipper that there's a storm coming and that you need to paddle as fast as you can so that you can get to safety.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: There's something terrifying about that, but also so empowering when you step up to that challenge and get it done, and you know you a couple of times I broke that twenty four hour record to basically get to safety, but also the beautiful Australian wildlife and being surrounded by dolphins in the middle of the ocean, having seals play beside me, you know, hump back wales back down the east coast of Queensland. I think Mother Nature and out our fascinating wildlife here in Australia, which is just like nowhere else in the world.
Speaker 1: Did you have a favorite spot around Australia that you paddled through or passed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and lucky that one's quite an easy one. Something unexpected is Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia, so right at the top of Western Australia, white sand, turquoise waters. I remember seeing twenty five turtles in one day of paddling, you know, and in that part of the country, I was quite close to shore, so I was actually making my way up the coast with a jet ski as opposed.
Speaker 3: To when I had a catamaran.
Speaker 2: In most of the sections of Australia, I was again up to five hundred kilometers out to see, mainly one hundred kilometers out. So to being close to shore and appreciate that beautiful part of the world was incredible.
Speaker 1: Now, aside from the bid, you obviously put yourself in some very close call life threatening situations, encountering sharks, swells, high as buildings, sharp rocks and cliff faces near runnings with my support boat. I'm ready this from your book, by the way, and sea sickness so severe it had left me double over for most of the day, unable to stop the vomiting. What was the worst of this? This, this all sounds awful.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, I'm so excited to share all of.
Speaker 3: This in the book, which is out at the end of January.
Speaker 2: I you know, there are moments where I people often asked were their moments you wanted to quit almost every day for the last two months because I was pushing back into headwinds around twenty knots, so that's like a big fan being, you know, blown in front of your face and you're trying to force your body through that. I had a great white shark encounter in Western Australia. I had three crocodiles come near me and the kimberle at the top of the country, and that was nighttime when my support crew spotted them with torches out to the side of the boat. So there was terrifying, terrifying encounters. And you know when the Great Australian Bye, I chose to cut straight across as opposed to hugging the coastline. I saved a thousand kilometers by doing that. But those swells were five to six meters out there.
Speaker 3: They were huge.
Speaker 2: My catamaran will drop out of sight and when you're out there, you can't see land. You're you know, you're way offshore, so that catamaran is a lifeline.
Speaker 3: It was terrifying in parts.
Speaker 1: How did you get through that? What's the mindset when you look down and say, see crocodiles or a shark, or you're looking up and seeing these ridiculously high waves, tall waves totally.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: The funny thing was the story when with the Great White Shark. I actually had Taylor Swift playing in my headphone, so I had no idea. Came up and my support crew saw the big fin and it dive underneath, and I'm bopping away to Taylor's Swift and they're calling me into the boat, and eventually I came into the boat and they said get on board right now. That I was explaining to someone the other day that the music in your ears is so important because you choose that backdrop to your suffering, so you know whether you've got to get in the water with crocodiles and you turn on the rap music to get you going. It's sort of the same thing like when we take on a hard session here, except you're in life threatening situations. And we did so much research with marine biologists and meteorologists about the lines to take. We stayed a long way offshore in the Northern Territory to try and avoid the populated areas with crocodiles, so there was eighteen months of research involved. I was paddling as fast as I possibly could to keep my speed up and try and avoid the crocodiles.
Speaker 3: So there was a lot of research.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, it's still a calculated risk and I would rely on my team and often I would tell them, don't talk about paddling when I come on board. Let's do childhood stories, jokes and riddles, and let's just keep it lighthearted because it was so intense in the water. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Good advice. Now for anyone listening who's thinking I want to attempt something big, Okay, not a paddle around Australia. I'm talking like an ocean swim or a five k run or I mean you've got this, you know in your book there's a line that says, I wonder if I could do that. I mean, you thought that to yourself way before you actually pad around Australia. What's your advice for anyone wanting to attempt their own amazing feat?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: And I love speaking to audiences and in writing this book, it's targeted at everyone. It's targeted at people who haven't necessarily been in the ocean their whole life or even ever seen this key. Let alone picked one up. Start small. You don't have to. Let's take the twenty four hour record. I did two hundred and thirty five kilometers. You don't look at that whole day and go, I'm going to paddle two hundred and thirty five.
Speaker 3: You work through each kilometer at the time. And it's the same with a goal.
Speaker 2: If someone wants to run five columns as they go, you don't set out and run that five kilometers straight up. You might do one kilometer of running, one kilometer of walking, and slowly build up to that five kilometers. When I started this paddle, I don't think I was equip to take on the Great Australian Bye and cut five hundred kilometers out. But two months in of building resilience physically and mentally. I was able to do that which no one's done before, and I think that's it. We place limitations on ourselves. We think that they're there, and we think they exist, and once we break them, it's just sort of like, why did I ever think I couldn't do that?
Speaker 3: And I know with this.
Speaker 2: Paddle, my biggest fear was the regret of not having done it. And I thought, even if I set out and fail and don't make it, I'd have known where.
Speaker 3: I've gotten to. I'd rather do that than not try.
Speaker 2: So don't be afraid of failure because we often think people are judging us, but people are too distracted with what's going on there life often.
Speaker 1: Oh Bonnie, you're an inspiration. Thank you for coming back on Healthy Ish. Thanks for listening to this interview as part of our summer series. Also, just a heads up if you do listen to our sister podcast Extra healthy Ish. As of next week, we will only be publishing this podcast healthy Ish, but in a longer format and on Mondays and Wednesdays only. If you have any feedback, we'd love to hear from you. You can DM me at Felicity Harley of course, Body and Soul is across social media as well. Catch us at bodyansoul dot com dot au and until tomorrow, enjoy the summer and stay healthy ish