Speaker 1: All right, guys, welcome back to there's his episode of Just for Girls, The Girl's Guide, and once again we have see the Human line Detector here with us today to talk more about how to tell if your partners or a love interest is lying to you.
Speaker 2: So I think, yeah, we have a lot all of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a lot of people and girls in relationships on.
Speaker 2: The dating scene.
Speaker 3: What is like your number one advice to pick up on people's mannerisms when you're getting to know them that they may be not being one hundred percent as genuine as they're kind of putting out.
Speaker 1: First date and you don't have that baseline yet, Like, I'm going on a first date this afternoon, how do I tell this boy is just not a good guy?
Speaker 4: Firstly, I'd let them speak, and then if something doesn't sound right, question them. And if you see some of the behaviors that I talk about, then you know that those questions are making them feel uncomfortable. Rather than accept everything on face value, ask the direct questions because sooner or later, a true personality will show itself.
Speaker 3: So, given that trust is a big thing in relationships and communications, how can you approach a situation where you think that your partner is laying and that could potentially break the trust that you've built. How do you approach it in a way that that gets the best truth out of them.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm an evidence man, so I would be looking for evidence. So if a partner's cheating, there's usually telltale signs, like you know, sexting, text messages, photos, all that type of thing. Changes in behavior, never answering the phone when they're partner's there, all that type of thing. But sometimes the other side of that coin is you have a real jealous, possessive partner and the other partner may not be engaging anything. And I've seen relationships split up not because of infidelity, but fear of infidelity occurring. So I think it's important to ask the questions, but also don't accuse somebody unless you've got some sort of evidence, and sooner or later, I often believe that the truth will come out. Sometimes you just got to see when it comes out, I'll find out.
Speaker 1: Do you find that, Like, if a partner potentially is cheating, they'll deflect that behavior on to you and be like, like, accuse you of cheating because that's something that they're doing themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said that a lot. What will happen is they'll deflect and they'll take the pressure off themselves and put it back on the interview or the partner and blame them. But also when you ask questions, they'll start maybe raising their voice. And there's a big difference between feigning anger and actually being angry, So feigning anger will be just part of the process, and micro expressions of an anger can clearly be seen as opposed to deliberately trying to put somebody off the scent.
Speaker 3: Who do you find to be a better liar in the relationships? Because I feel like as girls we always accuse the boyfriend of lying.
Speaker 2: They usually are.
Speaker 3: As per But who do you think would be Who do you think or is more likely to be the liar?
Speaker 2: The boyfriend or the girlfriend?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we all lie about different things. But I would say in my experience, men tend to lie much more than women. But if women do lie, it's usually for an altruistic reason to protect a friend or to protect someone else, whereas men will lie to make themselves look better or deliberately hiding something.
Speaker 1: How is deception in relationships different compared to in a business or a platonic relationship or are they the same?
Speaker 4: Pretty much the same telltale signs, But in business it's I mean you look, when you go for a job interview, everyone lies. You know, you lie about your length of service, reason for leaving, renumeration, all that type of thing, because could you imagine if you told a potential recruital that you'll fired, not likely to get the job. So we all lie. I remember ages ago listening to a group of people and the interviewer said, give me an example of where you had an underperforming sales team, sales rep, is what you would do? And he said, I do this, I do that, I do this. At the end of the interview, he said, how do you think it went? I said, well, the problem was he told you what he would do. That's just an opinion what I was expecting he would have told you what he has done. So that tells me he has no experience in dealing with underperforming sales. So in business, still the same machinations and the same nonverbals and confidence gestures, all that type of thing, but just for a different reason, maybe to get ahead, to get promoted, all that type of thing, but still lying. That the root of lying is to for ourselves. We lie for ourselves.
Speaker 3: How do you think emotions like guilt, fear, or anxiety contribute to how someone behaves when they're lying.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. So sometimes if you feel a particular emotion, it doesn't necessarily mean you're lying. So what I found is truthful people will still tell you how they feel, but deceptive people won't tell you they feel, and they'll often try to convince you that what they're saying is actually correct. So if somebody is emotional, doesn't mean they're lying. So the only way is a truthful person will tell you, I'll give you the answers, whereas a deceptive people a person will actually tell you what they want you to know. So knowing that, we've got to be able to work out where the emotions are genuine and secondly are they contrived? And what I mean by that crying but no tears, that top thing, no water works or.
Speaker 2: Something like that. Al Harras, have you been up to date all? In that the Harris.
Speaker 1: Family case, there was a mum who was apparently drugging her young daughter but sort of starting a GoFundMe.
Speaker 2: Everyone was paying her.
Speaker 1: Money to help the sick daughter, but the daughter wasn't actually sick, and there's a lot of videos of her online crying without the tears, saying how hard everything is, and then complaining about how her coffee machine's broken.
Speaker 2: And everyone's like that about the coffee machine than your kid.
Speaker 4: So that's a classic example where we expect the emotions to be in the right place. A caring mother is worried about the health of her child, her concern would be there, not on whether or not a coffee machine's work.
Speaker 2: She's just a crazy girl.
Speaker 1: So in your experience in working with couples, what type of lies do you find to be the most prominent?
Speaker 4: Mainly about how someone feels about other people family members, girlfriends, friends, and usually it relates to wanting to keep the peace as opposed to a lot of men will want to get to the bottom of it and try to find out what the issue is. But predominantly the major issues about feelings and about family issues, boyfriend issues, those top things.
Speaker 3: And how can you differentiate between intuition and paranoia when you suspect that your partner's lying.
Speaker 4: Paranoia is a state where your automatic assume the worst yeah consistently over a long period of time, and even when presented with the evidence, you still have that same feeling or emotion, whereas intuition is you know, something just doesn't seem right about this, and it's not constant and it's not always. I have a lot of people coming in to my office and they are extremely, extremely jealous, possessive, you know, they want to know what their partner's doing all that time. That behavior, in my experience, really changes and it continues from one partner to the other. Whereas intuition, we all get that you know something's not right and you act on that, or you may look for evidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I always it's always intuition for me, but it knows they're always had ended up being something wrong. So I feel like it's very important to trust your gut in situation was like that. So lastly, what advice do you have for people who are in relationships they feel like they're being lied to or their partners not being honest for them with them.
Speaker 4: I'm an evidence man, so I look for evidence, right. I don't want to be in a situation where I have a thought with no substantive evidence, and that could be the worst thing because you could be ending a relationship based on a thought process rather than evidence. So if somebody is deliberately lying to and you know that's the case, I guess are you going to accept that in that relationship? And you know, does it get to a stage where you're constantly being accused and nothing changes? Because I don't think anyone wants to be in that type of relationship because it's caustic and it's not going to improve. So if you have doubts, I mean there are different ways of I mean, getting going about things. But think of yourself, I mean, are you happy in that relationship? Do you see it progressing? And if it's aggressive, If it's aggressive now, it's going to be aggressive later on? Get out of it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us on Just for Girls.
Speaker 3: I think is in and I can both say that this I love lit been one of our favorite episodes.
Speaker 2: Where can We Find You?
Speaker 3: Someone wants to find out a little bit more information about you? Where can they find you?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Either?
Speaker 4: I've got two websites Steve Vanappron dot com and I have a number of videos on there and how to read people and detect deception and online course or Lie Detector online dot.
Speaker 1: Com people, and you also mentioned you did have a was it a podcast sort of series or the series coming out called Hunter where you've been narrating that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, say where do we find that? It's a six part series that will be on Channel seven next year.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 4: It's called The Hunters and we look at various unsolved called homicide cases.
Speaker 1: In Australia as well Australian cases.
Speaker 2: So super interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for coming on, Steve, and hopefully now we can all help find out whose.
Speaker 2: Little liars in our lives.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much and will see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: I'm also girls. Thanks Steve, It's
Speaker 1: Over Babo's oper