Speaker 1: I'll get a term. It's Bobby and tip from Craig. It's the project that you hope you're terrific. Let's start with the bloke. And I'm not going to be funny today. I'm going to start with the actual bloke. You're a pretend bloke, tiff Hi, Bobby?
Speaker 2: How are you all right? Craig? Aw's I going hops?
Speaker 1: It's gone all right? So what are we were? Tuesday? What are you? Monday night? Now?
Speaker 2: Monday night?
Speaker 1: Get you up, butter Cup, Good morning, good early afternoon to you, Tiffany and Cook?
Speaker 3: How are you fabulous? Fabulous?
Speaker 4: And I get excited when I get to chat with Bobby on the show because we used to catch up a lot, and I often don't get to be in the sessions with him, so I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you got yourself a boyfriend. Now we're just not talking anymore, do we.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're not allowed to bring that up, Bobby. You're no law to bring that out. I get in trouble for that. I get letters. I get the letters from lawyers. Do not mention the relationship on a fourth than. Henceforth, you shall cease to discuss all matters getting into all private to activity and cook and Scott Berry fucking dissed.
Speaker 4: Sometimes Harps does try to have more inappropriate things to say on air, So.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to feedback. I get on Scott's fucking messages that he sends me in those short videos that I wish would be less grainy, But anyway, I just try and summarize it for the listeners. I haven't asked you about that for quite a few episodes.
Speaker 3: I went to say, you went to say weeks and it was like that at man weeks.
Speaker 1: That's true. I was going to stay weeks and I went, now, don't bush yourself. It's been fucking days anyway. That's all right, But all things good at camp You and Scott.
Speaker 3: Yep, fabulous, thank you.
Speaker 1: I see major. All I see in terms of you posting shit with him or related to him is the food that he makes you. It's like a match made in heaven.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you're.
Speaker 1: A complete guts and he loves cooking food.
Speaker 4: I just got the famous brownies me goodness, well seals the deal, doesn't it. The thing I've eaten, O, we got, they've gone, it's gone already, whole batch. He's just had his first lesson in Tiff cook brownie portion and control all like thereof.
Speaker 1: Yes, so if you were ever on the fence, that was the game changer. Oh yeah, Bobby, do you have such like? Tiff loves food right, And sometimes when she's at the gym she goes and I don't mean like once a month, I mean every second time. I'm hungry. And so when she lifts weights, she gets hungrier through the workout and proceeds to tell me twenty five times in the hour how angry and hungry she is. Like, as somehow my fault. I don't eat for you. Don't come to the gym. If you're going to get grumpy and ungrateful, fuck off and need a pie. Just look like a bag of shit. I don't care. Just sit on the couch and eat yourself into oblivion. But don't come here and bitch. There's lots of listeners that might want your spot.
Speaker 4: To the gym, Bobby, don't you Sometimes don't you ever do a particular movement like single arm rose and something about engaging my core that way just makes this fiery feeling of intense hunger just wave over me. So I do that and then I'll stand up with God. That makes me hungry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I notice I get very hungry when I do a single.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's I think that's well documented in science. Is probably at least twenty papers on that the correlation between hunger increase and one arm rows, especially if your name's Tip and you're fucking crazy. But other than that, Hey.
Speaker 2: That's what I do at the end of the workout because if I don't have a snack as wall straight after, I've just gone mental.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's something in the blood sugar kind of thing that's gone on there. All right, So speaking of that, we though we do, we don't know is going to be any good everyone, So you know, just be ready to push the off button at any stage. But we I don't think we three have ever had a collective discussion about because all of us come from background and working in gyms, training lots of people prescribing exercise, and lots of other stuff in the health wellness space, and we all still train and we all still try to keep in shape. And what we just discovered is that there's ten years between all three of us in that Tip being forty two, Bobby fifty two, in a minute and me sixty two, which probably is not a bad representation. I think our listeners kind of go up at about I think we go from not many in their twenties to quite a lot in their thirties, but thirties, forties, fifties, and even sixties we get listeners, which is good. Shout out to you old fucks just like me, welcome to the category. Couldn't enjoy it more? So I thought we might. And again, none of this is as Bobby and I spoke about recently. It's not advice, it's not a recommendation. But I, for one, like listening to people that I listen to or that I like or respect just when they talk about I like it when they talk to a guest or they're talking about a certain topic. But I like hearing about how they actually live, what they do, how they keep in shape, how they manage their mind or their food or their fucking energy, and all of that. So I thought we might just have a lazy talk about all of that stuff. So why don't we kick off with I want you to give me a score on ex thing I go for, like ten being you couldn't be any better at it? And one is complete dog shit. If let's go sleep off the top for you one as shit. Ten is good and of course it varies. But like over time, what's your kind of average score for sleep?
Speaker 4: I reckon it did sit between six and seven for me. Yeah, not ideal, not awesome, terrible, not like what are.
Speaker 1: The variables or the limiting or positive factors around that few? What helps and what gets in the way.
Speaker 4: A very stringent wind down routine and getting a bit early annoyingly is great. So if I if I do that process, well I can get to sleep. If I don't, I'm awake until you know, after twelve, one, two three, But regardless, I'll wake up anywhere between four thirty and five point thirty.
Speaker 1: I've never asked you this, but I just feel like it's going to be a low school I could be totally wrong. What's your school give? What type?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's about A three or four lately, not like I've ever. I had a doctor, Andrew Hiller, neurologists tell me that because of the extent of my brain damage. He said, you're never fully asleep and you're never completely awake, which explains a lot about my day to day life. So that made total sense. Thank you.
Speaker 1: That was that was that was worthwhile. Do you know what that actually means? Though? Like, what does that actually mean? You never fully awake?
Speaker 2: He just said that my my, my sleep wake cycles are so disrupted and my brain's not ever optimally switched on and it's not ever optimally switched off. He didn't really explain it because we had so much else to cover. There was like there was there was extensive damage and extensive things that he wanted to go over. What was interesting about this guy is he told me so many things about my life without ever asking me, without me ever filling out a survey. He was just like, right, this is kind of how your life went related to trauma, and especially blunt force trauma. This is when it happened, this and when it ended. I was like, Wow, this guy's like this guy spot on.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's incredible. What do you think in the overall both of you tif overall kind of of all the variables we talk about health, you know, sleep and exercise, movement and stress, and you know interpersonal relationships and anxiety and the impact of work and environment and all of that. Where do you put what's sleep?
Speaker 4: I put sleep sleep sits at number one, I reckon. But also some of those things that you mentioned have an impact on sleep. Sleep will knock all of them over real quick. But I think also some of them will peak anxiety and then affect your sleep.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really good point to make, Like none of these things really operate in isolation. Like you think about emotions affect your health, food affects your health. Well, think about the relationship for you between emotions and the state of mind and food. Like if you're hungry, your brain goes offline and your emotions go nuts or not, not totally, but you know what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying a little bit.
Speaker 1: You do get kind of unlikable when you're hungry. Ah, what about you, Bobby, Where do you think that sits in the hierarchy of importance of kind of health factors that we can somewhat manipulate?
Speaker 2: Well, are you talking about eating food?
Speaker 1: No, We're talking about sleep.
Speaker 2: Oh? Sleep? Well, I think sleep is one of those things that we can highly influence. I mean sleep haging practices. What your morning afternoon evening tools look like, it's great. Are you going to impact your sleep? Are you getting sunlight in the morning like lately, I'm just struggling with a lot of things I'm not going to talk about the podcast, and my anxiety is skyrocketing. So I wake up a few times during the night, just like literally thinking about all this, these ruminating thoughts in my head. But are are you sticking to your rituals? Are you getting sunlight when when you're up early in the morning, you know, are you engaging a proper sleep hygiene? Are you sitting in doom scrolling like twenty seconds before you're going to sleep, an hour before you're going to sleep. Are you decompressing, doing something like light mobility work, just a little bit of movement, maybe a hot shower, some thermal regulation, you know, reading a book. Are you sleeping in a dark room? Cold room? Like, all of these variables we can manipulate. So I don't think we're absolutely in control of a lot of things, but I think sleep falls into the category of highly influenceable. If that's even more could you really pull that out and scrabble?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I reckon you could. I reckon you could on eight out of ten cats does countdown as maybe also, but just in the overall hierarchy everything you said, I'm on board with. But if you just had to pop it somewhere, if we're talking about all of the things, would it be in the top three sleep as a factor affecting health?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Probably? Yeah, I say it's definitely up there.
Speaker 1: What do you think TIF is the most almost misunderstood or underrated thing, component, variable, factor, whatever you want to call it, that affects people's Well, we're kind of going for physical health, but let's go all over health. But yeah, now let's go physical health. Let's just talk about cells and physiology, anatomy and physical function. What do you think is the one of the things, if not the thing, because I've got one thing that sticks out for me. Also, I'll talk about my sleep if anyone's interested. But what's something that for you? You reckon? People don't think about enough when they think physical health.
Speaker 4: I think stress, which probably sounds like a dumb answer because they do think about it. But I don't think that we recognize what is stress for the breadth of what it is mental stress and how the nervous system is running, and all of the things that Like I'm because I do a range of different things, I can come home and say I haven't done any work today and I've done eight hours of work, I've paid. But because it's different stuff, or it might be a podcast and some clients and some this and some that, and I haven't done anything, and my brain doesn't ever switch off. And when your brain is on, you are in performance mode and you're listening stress hormones over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually think you're right in that, Like you said, oh, it's mainly Yeah, of course there's an emotional and a mental health impact, but also there is a very real physical impact, Like stress makes you physically sick, Anxiety produces hormones. You do not want continuous kind of pressure of the bad kind. We're not talking about U stress. We're talking about distress. You know, that negative stress that doesn't do us any good, that literally kind of creates disease. You know, you think it creates an inflammatory response in the body. Virtually every disease, if not every disease, is correlated with some kind of inflammation. Like there's a pretty clear path from what's happening in your head to what's happening in your body. So I think you know definitely that And you think just when like you walk on stage, or some people walk on stage, or some people forget stage. Some people go to a PTA meeting and they've got a talk for thirty second to the rest of the group, and you know, that's just a cognitive task, but it's an overwhelmingly disempowering physical proposition for them because they can't fucking breathe because their heart rates through the roof and their blood pressures a million over a million, and they feel a bit sick, and all of this is a physical consequence of something that's happening in their head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and every spike needs recovery. Like I remember a couple of years ago sitting and thinking to myself, Oh, I've had a lot of stress this year, but I've equally had the same amount of overwhelming excitement. And excitement is similar neurochemistry. Excitement is the body amped up on a very similar chemistry. So that's excitements, not downtime just because it feels good. It's the mody hyper aroused m And.
Speaker 1: I think also conversely, while we're talking about hormones and impact on our health or psychology or emotion, you switch that around to being with someone that you fucking love like. And I'm not even being funny, but you think about you being with Scott, spending time with someone that you someone that you someone that you care about. I didn't want to commit you, right, so I just fucking gave you an escape route. You're welcome someone that you care about Scott. I know you love her though it'll come, mate, she'll say it one day. Just fucking be patient. But you're spending time with him, assuming you're not having a blue is literally good for your health. Literally, you know, people don't think about that like that's so important, and think about conversely when you know people are like my mum and dad who've been married four sixty five sixty five years, like, oh my god, I'm you know, like, how do you think that's going to go when one of them is not around? I'm terrified about that. But it's just tis what it is, you know, there's just they're literally, you know, not always, but for the most part, that proximity and that familiarity and that love and that certainty and that predictability and all of those intertwining variables make their life better because they're with each other and near each other fucking all the time, all the time.
Speaker 4: It's been a far more visceral response and experience for me because I haven't had it for so long that to feel that now and notice sometimes like the dial is down on the thinking and the producing and the doing because it's like, oh, it's just nice to spend time. So now I'm not looking for things to achieve all the time, and what can we do and what can we squeeze in? Is just yeah, So that's it's interesting.
Speaker 1: M Bobby. Can we open a new door and ask you about I want to ask you a specific question first, which I don't know if you'll have a specific answer to, But if you had to describe your relationship with food, like what what would that look like if you had to explain you and food? Is it standard? Is it weird? Is it kind of boring and predictable?
Speaker 2: It's probably anxious avoidant? Go on, I fucking here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Tip. You never know what's going to come out, do you know? Sometimes I think funk I should be taken notes. This is mind blowing. Other Times I'm like, oh what.
Speaker 2: Now? And how do I explain this? Let me hang on to a rock as I try to walk this. I got into rock today at work, so like it anyway?
Speaker 1: Can you get back on topic rain men.
Speaker 2: It like I really I obsessed with the foods, like I really really want it, and I felt like I need it, and I'm constantly trying to sneak it into my daily routine in my life. And then that's it. I'm done with it. I completely avoid it. Not food altogether, but some of my trigger foods like crunchy shit. I have a very dysfunctional relationship with crunchy things like popcorn, pretzels. Yeah, what about.
Speaker 1: We call an Australia chips or in the state's crisps or you know, like salt vinegar or barbecue chips. What do you how do you go with those?
Speaker 2: Not interested at all?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: No, I mean hot chips. Yeah, but every once in a while, like a proper chip will be really nice.
Speaker 1: But so crisps, Nah, what's your what's your nutritional kryptonite?
Speaker 2: It's probably it's probably not sweets as much as it's just like a lot of pasta and bread and things like that. Pizza, Oh, that's so nice. So do you feel like Chinese takeaway is really nice? Curry? So there's all these foods that they just absolutely love, and then I'm like, nah, that's it. I'm on, I'm on plant based for the next fours.
Speaker 1: I don't care I chicken CASHW stir fry. I think I've taken you to the chicken cashw stir fry joint. And then I'll wake up at three o'clock and I want to drink a fucking ocean because there's so much salt in it.
Speaker 2: Yea, actually, so that's kind of the things that I run into problems with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I'll just quickly reverse for me everyone. I think for me personally, sleepers right up there. Everything goes better. Everything isn't perfect, and everything isn't fixed, But yeah, if I'm under slept, I think it's almost for me. I mean, of course, in terms of real life obviously food and oxygen are pretty fucking important, but day to day kind of survival and thriving and performance for me, slippers paramount food has always been my biggest challenge, but I would say it's far less of a challenge now. It's just kind of I'm in a kind of a system or a model or a protocol that works for me, and it's not robotic, and it still gives me joy and it still tastes good. But you know they're just shit that I will never eat. So if we and then how do you go, Bobby, Because I mean you and I have trained quite a few times, but not we've probably trained in our lives ten times together or something like that. Hard when you live on the other side of the world. But what is your training kind of philosophy or protocol. Now at almost fifty two with a few injuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just happy I can move. I do basically two on one day off training, so you know, kind of like a push pull routine that feels nice for me. It feels okay for my joints. So training, I'm always in a lot of pain. I have a lot of injuries. You know, I have a new one from last year that's just not going away. But I try to move as often as possible. I am just a different human being when I'm in the gym every day.
Speaker 1: So explain to people people who don't know what push pool means. And also training, So you're talking about strength training, and you're talking about strength training two days in a row and then a day of nothing or oh no, I mean I move around a lot.
Speaker 2: It's active rest. I'm never going to do a cardio. You will never see me on a treadmill walking to nowhere, or on a stair climber like climbing stairs that go absolutely freaking nowhere, because I live in San Diego and I have this amazing cardio machine. We call it outside, and I just go out there and I move. So that's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: You just insulted all our friends who do tread millan steak climber.
Speaker 2: I support people doing whatever they want. I just cannot sit there on a bike that's just not going anywhere, like what am I doing? Like to me, that is the most mind numbing, repetitive thing ever. But I could get outside and move. I restructure my environment in a way where movement is a natural consequence of day to day necessity. So for example, I'm about nearly a kilometer from a shop I frequent. So if I'm gonna go there and pick up things like avocados, eggs, whatever, you know, whatever I need, it's just like it's found movement. I'm gonna walk there. I'm not gonna jump into the car and drive down there and then I'm just gonna walk home. So that's just movement built into your day. So I try to do things like that. Although living in this place, I'm probably the building's very self can so I'm not moving as much as I should be, But I try to build movement into my day to day environment.
Speaker 1: And for people who live wights and understand a little bit more nuanced, would you say that your workouts kind of body building ish or more power based or more kind of like what how would you? Or more kind of super setting, more circuity? What is your strength training or your white training? Anyway, look like.
Speaker 2: Got a minute rest between sets supersets, just so I can kind of get through it. I like the way that feels. I like the continuous movement. My repetition range is a lot higher than it used to be. I like to stick to anywhere in twelve to twenty repetitions just because one, you know's that's where my body's at right now, that's where my injuries are. So for me, the problem I have with training is a lack of discipline, and that's not getting into the gym. It's listening to my body and self regulating. So I will try to train just probably probably because of the mentality we grew up in right when we started training. I will try to train with the same intensity and effort one days when I'm fatigued and underslapped as days when I'm feeling great. And that is not that's just not smart long term, That's not a great way to train. So and I've paid for it.
Speaker 1: You, you and I both we both got probably overlapping and corresponding injuries, but we're both. I think you ruptured your I've ruptured my peck. Did you tear your peck off as well?
Speaker 2: Oh, like heroically? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And did you not come out like a couple of months after that when you were out here once where it was like not long after that injury?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And did you ever have an op No? No, of course not. Yeah, may either fuck operations.
Speaker 2: I had to go to douzled off that week. So I use canesio tape to like kind of like tape my pack to my room cage. And I just laughed exactly. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Yeah, what do those surgeons know? Have you seen this tape? And so when you when you tear it off the origin or the insertion, like whichever end it's hat, then it kind of just a hears or sticks to the muscle underneath right, kind of just form scar tissue? Is that what's happened with you?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I got to take the canesio tape off. I mean it's been several years now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should have a look. It's probably a bit fucking stinky too. You should maybe, I don't know, take a shower. That's been a while too, and.
Speaker 2: My packs will fall off.
Speaker 1: Just get yourself one of so if you can borrow one of TIFF's bras, that'd be pretty snug on you. And she's set herself. She doesn't really need them, so.
Speaker 3: She'll carry my keys.
Speaker 2: In my wave comes home. I'm like, I'm just I'm trying something new. Craig said, yeah, yeah, yeah, and Tiff volunteered.
Speaker 1: Tiff, what about tell I think people will be more interested than you than me and Bobby, more interested in you than us two because the majority of our listeners, ladies, I'm just going to grab something. You just talk for thirty seconds about your training. Strength, balance, strength is power? Is it? I know I'm involved in some of it, but just share with everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I probably still would place myself in a bit of a kind of a hybrid category with my training and training goals. I've moved into at a big strength focus. So I used to always be, you know, predominantly high intensity and boxing and interval training.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love the way that makes me feel.
Speaker 4: And over the last few years, with hormonal changes and the body just saying nah mate and introducing strength, I've moved into strength being the main focus now and recently just reintroducing hit a couple of times a week in a quantity and an intensity that's going to work for me because I think, especially sorry high intensity, high intensity interval training, so a bit like Bobby, I don't I don't prioritize cardio. I do a lot of walking the dog and that so I move a lot. But I think that especially as a female from you know, the stuff that I follow with doctor Stacy Simms, still accessing a couple of sessions where I'm doing short bursts of really high intensity is good for me and it makes me feel good. But I have had to learn relearn what dose works for me and how to recover and how to rest in between that, because what I'm great at is the discipline of if I do it today, I'll do it tomorrow and I'll do it every day after that. What I'm not great at is doing it twice a week.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's interesting. Yeah, Bobby, talk to us about the need for people to understand, like Tiff spoke about finding the right dose or the right volume, sets reps, the right intensity, because it's not like, oh, there's one answer to that, there's eight billion answers to that. Talk us a bit. Talk us through a little bit about someone's listening to this. Now they already trained, but a cardio bit CrossFit, but hit the traditional weight training. Talk about the importance of that kind of stuff, the intensity and the frequency and the volume and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's there's three variables here that I think are very important. One is desired outcome right, two is what does the research say? And three is bioindividuality. And if there was a fourth factor to really consider, it's psychological engagement, like what's accessible, what's doable, what's what is your realistic entry point? Because the best workout, safety being of the utmost consideration is the one that produces a consecutive workout. So the perfect workout is one that you can do consistently. Like that's the bottom line. Two questions to ask yourself is you know who am I? What's my not? You know this is not like it like esoteric type of question. Who am I? In terms of am I a novice? How long have I been training? How how old am I? And what's my what's my desired outcome? I think those two variables are a good way to lead into how do you structure a routine?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think the thing to think about too for people is and no disrespecting this just an observation. How many people go. Let's say we pluck a random gym and one hundred people from that random gym, and you sit them all down and you say to them, just out of curiosity, put up your hand. If your goal is to improve, to change, to lose a bit of fat, to gain a bit of muscle, to improve performance, improve function, improve output outcomes, pretty much every hand will go up. And then if you said put up your hand, if your job is pretty much to just stay where you are, no one's going to say one or two might say I'm about maintenance now, right. But the other thing is that most people pretty much train maintenance like there's not necessarily much variety or aggression or overload, or they're following a protocol that isn't necessarily based on what they want, which is change, which is physical transformation. Growth might be flexibility, it might be speed, might be muscular aerobic endurance. It might be just I want less back pain, I want a lower blood pressure, I want to sleep better. Right, But I think there's a lot of emotion around exercise and we tend to do not that we should necessarily be doing what we hate, of course, but when we only do the things we're good at, or we only do the things that are fun, or they only do the things that we enjoy, that's probably going to be a governor or a limitation on our potential to get where we want to go. Do you see that in the gym tip? Or do you ever have that conversation with your clients?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think I've become so aware of just that conversation around how much you really like do you really want it? Is it a nice to have or are you going to work for it? Because get like, client people have different thresholds of what they're willing to put in, So you just have to make sure that if there's a misalignment between what they're bringing in and doing and what they're asking for. You need to have that conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's a big distinction between working out and training, and I don't think a lot of people make that distinction. And I'm not saying that one is better than the other, because let's say you are someone who just wants to work out, you know, consistent movement, like we were talking about earlier sleep and we were talking about stress. If there was one variable that I think is the single most accessible and supports all the other variables, it is movement. I mean, we could dive into that, we could just like, you know, touch upon that statement and go. But like, movement is a very important lever. So if you're someone who just wants to work out a few days a week, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you're someone who wants an outcome that's different from what you're currently getting in the gym, or there is a very specific strategy and progressive valid that's wired.
Speaker 1: This is a little bit of a philosophical question. But Bobby, with you, who should we trust? Like, because this I literally been told this, I don't know asand I was going to say a thousand could be less, but a lot of times I just don't know who to listen to. I don't know who to trust. Everyone says different things about the same topic. I've had five trainers, they all tell me different shit. I have five dietitians, they all tell me different stuff like how much do we? Which is why I try very hard on this show just to talk about stuff rather than direct people in a particular on a particular path, Like how does the average person? I mean that positively, but who isn't a guru or an expert in physiology or exercise or any of this stuff. How do they know who to listen to? Do you have any kind of guide rails that? Well?
Speaker 2: I think that's a really important question because it's confusing, isn't it. There's so many conflicting voices, and so many of those voices are directly in conflict with one another. What I mean is it's like, Okay, you need to do this, and then you listen to somebody else on social media and they're like, Okay, I know you were just listening to Craig's podcast, and if you do what Craig tells you do, you're going to die young and get injured and somebody says, well, you know, I was listening to Bobby and Craig and the both of these guys don't know what they're talking about. And for someone without a scientific background, who doesn't have the time to unpack all these years of research, how do you know? And you have to be one of the voices you listen to regardless of where you land, because there is bioindividuality and there is a difference in preferences and tolerance in accessibility, lifestyle. So you've got to be at the center of that equation. In terms of people external to you, one are they pulling from empirical evidence and practical application? I think both are important. Are these people that are going off of what works for them or can they point to peer reviewed, duplicated evidence to support based on what we know? This is kind of a sensible recommendation for this goal need, want, and ability. And there's someone who also is consistently working with people day to day so they understand how theory bridges the gap with application and all of the variables that come with that and all of the challenges that come with working with complex, imperfect human beings.
Speaker 1: And let me just clarify one thing everybody that a few of you might not have heard, the term bioindividuality or Bobby is saying, is that the same thing doesn't work the same way for everybody, and different things work for different people. And like a lot of the stuff that I do personally would not be good for most people that I know because they don't live in my body. They don't have my biology, my physiology. They don't have the medical challenge or the injuries, or the bullshit or the sixty two year old body or so the challenge for us is to listen to people that we trust. Don't necessarily believe everything, but listen, I think, and then see what's going to work for you. Like if what is your body taught you that no one else has taught you, Like you never heard this anywhere, you didn't read it, you didn't listen to it, but you know something that your body taught you that is probably specific to you.
Speaker 3: I think that how it reacts to.
Speaker 4: That specific type of training, how my energy and mood and brain reacts to intensity. Which is why it's become important for me to manage everything so that I can still include that in my life.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, figuring out the balance between what I think my physical goals are, but also what is healthy for my mind and my lifestyle, what do I enjoy as well, and finding a balance between those two things.
Speaker 1: Bobby, let's assume that your sleep's good in this hypothetical that I'm setting you up. But let's assume you know you're sleeping pretty well. Do you know when you are cognitively at your best and physically when your best typically like through the day. Like for example, I have a problem coming with the Crab's my training partner everyone, and the problem is he likes to train it four, but I'm not at my best at four. So We're gonna have to have big boy, big pants, grown up conversation. I'm gonna go Crab. I love you, Gibbs, cuddle, but fuck, can we train at one or twelve sometimes? Because by four I'm on the slide and my strength is not the same, and my energy is not the same, and my focus is not the same, and my emotions aren't the same. I almost resent training at four sometimes, which is nobody's problem. That's just how my body works. What about you, Bobby, do you have anything similar?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, I learned this because when my career was mostly traveling, consulting, and rating. On the days when I was home and raiding, I had a lot. Nobody cared when I was writing, just as long as you know, I was meeting my deadlines. And what I learned about myself is, all things being equal, I am most effective in the morning and in the evening afternoon. It's kind of like a downtime from As a matter of fact, my strategy was the opposite. I would train in the afternoon between two and five because that's when I felt cognitively at my worst. So I knew if I train, if I trained first thing in the morning, like really hard, I'd be wiped out for the rest of the day. Of course, I can go out and train and get some movement, but if I was going to do some intense resistance training, I wanted it to be when I was at my worst cognitively because that would give me a pick me up that would switch me on and prepare me to work all night.
Speaker 1: That's interesting in an ideal world where there are no obstacles or variables, and you could just pick when you did cardio and when you did strength. In a twenty four hour period. What would that be for you?
Speaker 3: Cardio morning strength? Maybe three well.
Speaker 1: Morning one am or eleven nine.
Speaker 4: I like six six or six thirty seven am. It is good and strength and strength three three to four. See when I was boxing, my boxing trainer trained at four pm and they were long sessions, and that didn't work. I would drive down and literally be falling asleep behind the like so exhausted and resentful. Wasn't a great time for my body. And I just now that I'm managing my own timing on when I train, I just won't go and do like high intensity cardio or boxing at that time of day.
Speaker 1: How long does it take for you, Bobby, to turn something something that you're not currently doing but you recognize you should be doing it consistently. How long does it take for you to kind of turn that into for one of the better word, a habit or just a hardwirde. You know, this is just your new normal. This is not you being disciplined or exhibiting self control, and you know, but now this is just what you do. And I'm sure it varies from task to task or skill to skill, But what's your kind of timeline with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It varies quite a bit. I think, let's say dietary habits, for example, anywhere from anywhere from three to ten days. Like if I could just say, okay, no bullshit for the next.
Speaker 1: Three days and very quick, that's very quick because my fucking months.
Speaker 2: I think for me, there's there's other factors involved. Like if I if I'm eating well for two days and then like you know, I walk by a pretzel and just it just catches my attention, you know, you know, I circle around the pretzel, you know, I pretend I'm not going to buy it. Then I just touched the bag. Next thing. Now like I'm on my couch.
Speaker 1: Like carbohydr full carbohydrate, full play from over here.
Speaker 2: I wake up the next morning like covered in pretzel dust, hating myself. I could just avoid that.
Speaker 1: Knowing I am fucking useless.
Speaker 2: I knew it. Yeah, that's that's that's pretty much that that's the exact script. So but if I can avoid that for three to seven days, it becomes so much harder for me to pick something up because I feel really good about what I'm doing in physiologically, I feel so much better, so much clearer, because like, for example, if I'm eating a lot of carbohydrates. I get quite angry. And then I'm not using judgment. But let's say my CARB's are low and I'm just eating lean meat. I'm mostly plant based. Well, I could go. I could go all day without eating. So there's not this. Oh, let me grab what's available. I don't need anything to be available, because you know, my ratio of fat and protein are sustaining me. So I think, you know, if I could just stare with something for a few days, I'm pretty good, Tiff.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a specific question? Thank you, Robert, so your bloke yesterday I made you? Was it chocolate brownies? What was it?
Speaker 3: Chocolate brownies?
Speaker 1: Okay? Now? Can I just could you describe to usk, let's say, a not a dinner plate? What's the other little one? Bred? And what is that little one called a little plate? Like you have a sandwich on one of those? Right? I don't know how big. I'm not a crockery expert. Ring my mum, she'll tell you in a fucking second. How big was that brownie compared to one of those smaller plates?
Speaker 3: I reckon?
Speaker 4: If I hold up this remarkable here, if anyone's familiar with remarkable advices, which are probably about the size of an iPad, A larger iPad, I think it would have been that size.
Speaker 1: And is there any of that left that?
Speaker 3: No, there is not your honor.
Speaker 1: And yeah, if you could just move forward, and over what time period did you consume that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I sent him message sometime before training yesterday, at maybe about two pm that said most and that was me.
Speaker 3: That was in relation to.
Speaker 4: The amount of brownie I had already consumed and then, which was a lot of very dense brownie. And I came home and I cooked myself a delightful, nice clean chicken breast and steamed veggies. I was like, I'm good, we'll just load up on this, we'll get some protein, we'll clear the slate. And about half an hour after that, not at all hungry. Like a crack addict, I had to have another breas.
Speaker 1: Had to sub your subconscious. While you're telling yourself, oh, I'm just going to eat this, your subconscious has gone fucking no, Nope, that's in the fridge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I cannot have it. I cannot, Like a drug addict, I cannot have it in the house. I cannot forget about it. If I know it's in the house.
Speaker 1: Well, that is interesting. Not trying to be disrespectful to any people with addiction battles, by the way, how like I'm thinking about just that, Like I saw a picture of it on I don't know, Insta or Facebook or something. My guess would be that that thing that big would be heading towards three thousand calories. I've mainly fat and sugar. Now some of our listeners want to know, how the fuck can you eat that? How the fuck can you eat that? And how big muscles and veins and shit and be lean? What is that about?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I think that I think about it is a lot.
Speaker 4: I think that generally the way that I eat with savory food with most of my nutrition is really good and better than I think it is. Like I eat quite clean. I don't eat a lot. I'm not a bread person. I'm not a past a person. I'm like a lean meat and vegetables. But I that junk food aspect, like that's if I'm going to indulge, it's going to be amazing. And you know when I don't do it all the time, Like I don't have that stuff in my house because I cannot be responsible for it.
Speaker 1: If Tiff, it ever gives you any advice around nutrition, don't fucking listen, Okay, I just wait, sure, I'm only kidding.
Speaker 2: I think that's actually very good advice, because when people pathologize food, I think one does a lot of shame, and then when they have a food, it's this thing that they shouldn't be having. It's bad. I mean, you know, I've never seen like a Brownie commit grand theft, auto or premeditated murder. There's no such thing as bad food. I think there's just bad patterns and relationships to certain foods. So if you're going to eat some thing once in a while because you enjoy it and it emotionally fulfills you, I think that's great. But also again what Tiff was saying is I can't have it in the house. I feel, like, you know, going back to James Clear and atomic habits, we overestimate the power of willpower and like white knuckling our way through our behaviors, but we underestimate identity. Who am I and who I want to be? And what choice would this person make an environment? If something's not in your house, it's a much bigger decision. It's like it's not like, Oh, there's this impulse I just reach for food. I know where it is. I've got to put a code on, run to the shops. There's a lot of space there between stimulus and response. So by the time I get to the shops, I have to make a conscious decision I want this. It's not a reflexive behavior. So I understand that's a lot harder to do when you live in a household with multiple people and they might not be keen or cooperative. But as much as you can structure your environment around the behaviors that are congruent with who you want to be in the outcomes that you want to experience, the more successful you'll be in.
Speaker 1: The long term. I agree. Nonetheless, you don't understand the magnitude of what you fucking ate it was. We're not talking about a bit of brownie. We're talking about all the brownie. Like, yeah, good theory, Bobby, come to her house and have a look at that, and then you.
Speaker 2: I'm not looking at that?
Speaker 1: What about? What about one of the challenges that people talk to me about a lot around all of this self regulation, self management, you know, being physically mental now she emotionally socially healthy, is socializing because especially in Australia, I'm sure in America, like the is a big kind of intertwining of eating or drinking, especially in Australia, eating and drinking and spending times with friends, and it's almost like a you know, if well, if you're not eating all this stuff and drinking at least a couple of beers, like you can't have fun because this is the point. The point is the beer and the food and the barbecue and the silliness, and which I'm not against that either, but how do we how do we navigate that? Do we just go Saturday night it's going to be blowout, I do it and then I'm back on track, or even in the context of that social environment, do we try to self manage somewhat? Tiff, what do you.
Speaker 4: Think As you started to talk about that, I was thinking and I'll say this and if it doesn't answer the question, to hit me over the head when I so Scott brought the brandies around and he linked them with me if he was here and I had a brownie and he was still here, or I'm with people because this happened all the time when I'm hanging out with people, and we've got dessert and we eat it. I don't need it or want it. I don't want it. My body doesn't want it. The same they can leave and like a switch goes and all of a sudden, I have to eat it. I have to eat what's left, and I go that is interesting. What's that about?
Speaker 3: What is you know?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Is it a dopamine thing? Is it a loneliness trigger?
Speaker 3: Is it a like? What is the trigger that goes? Now?
Speaker 4: I actually don't want that to I'm alone now, I'm gonna eat all of it.
Speaker 1: That's so bravery you to say that, and so common. That is so common, Like I've heard a version of that, and I used to do it. Well, not exactly that, but I've said many times I used to tell people what to do and then do the opposite, like with you. You know, when I'd be giving people like I would eat like a fucking Olympic athlete while everyone was looking, and then like a big fat, fucking pig, well no one was around, I'd eat my own body weight in fucking lasagna like Garfield and then nope, and then I'll just be out and I'll just have a fucking chicken salad with it, dressing on the side, Thanks fucking Pinocchio, just out there in public, pretending because I didn't want people to know what I was actually like. It's I don't think that's ever been you, has it, Bobby? Or has it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It kind of. I mean, here's the thing. If I have a day like that, it resets me and my body is like, yeah, I'm done for a long long time. But so when I was living with a former partner of mine, she eat really clean all the time, and so did I. But every Saturday, her mother would come over, and her mother just loved junk food, so she would bring Country Donuts was the name of it, and just all these sweets, and she'd have her cigarettes out on the balcony and like and for like one day, I would just let loose and just have the donuts, and then she would go home. We'd drop mom off, and every Sunday morning it was the same ritual. And I never learned I would. I would wake up, look over she'd be sleeping, very gingerly, take her arm off of me, tiptoe out of bed and go into the kitchen. I would open that refrigerator door so slowly I couldn't even hear it open, and I would lean in and reach for the leftover donuts, which now are quite cold, so refrigerated donuts off, those are the best. And then like clockwork, I would come up with the donut, and all of a sudden she'd be behind me and hole off and slap me, like as soon as they put the donut to my mouth, she'd slap me in the back of my head really hard. And then like every week, we would just do the same thing. Well, I would try to sneak this donut and I would get slapped on mercifully for it, and then just go repeat the same behavior.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to tell me some kind of super spy stealth kind of glatten knee story, and you got bustards. You needed to change your protocol, dude, because she how she knew she well, she wasn't asleep when you lifted off that arm. She was fucking stooging you.
Speaker 2: That's what it was.
Speaker 3: I in the fridge door that beeps your phone when it opened.
Speaker 2: She was like an assassin.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. All right, let's let's start to wind up. If there's sure there's a bunch of things. But is there one or two things that in you know, and we're on goal setters, but well maybe we are. But is there there's something or things that either of you want to do better that you sitting here right now, If you're being one hundred percent honest, you know, there's stuff that you do that's probably close to self sabotage or if not, it's just not a good thing for you that you would like to do better and you maybe will do better tif some whether it's any any kind of these variables we've been.
Speaker 4: Talking about currently, too many processed like protein bars or protein like too much processed in inverted commas, health food fillers might die at the moment.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been saying the same thing for ten years, and I might actually do something this year. So I have the flexibility of a ceramic tile or if you're an Australian, a fucking cricket wicket. Like if I'm standing straight and I reach down standing straight to my knees, I'm so proud, you know, if I get past my knees and look at me, I'm a fucking Olympian. I'm a gymnast standback. But yeah, my flexibility is shit, and I think it's starting to catch up with me. So but I and I'm also being honest, I kind of hate it. I don't like stretching. And I'm not saying don't stretch every run, in fact contrare. But then having said that, there are some people that really don't need to stretch much just because of the body they have, but I definitely need to, So I might, I might give that a crack. What about you, Robert, I feel like one, I am a human crowball.
Speaker 2: Thats my level of flexibility. I feel like active movement, active range of motion really helps. So for me, it's not you know, quote unquote stretching. But if you're always lifting heavier weights, right, Like, the greater the intensity, the greater of the percentage of a repetition maximum, you're going to go through, the less control you're going to have over a range of motion, right So you're not going to move the same with ninety percent of your one repetition max as you will, you know, just moving with your body weight. So I like to do just kind of like mobility things like an unloaded lunge, unloaded squats, active isolated type of movements where I just use you know, opposing muscles to move my body through a range of motion. I like that kind of stuff that helps.
Speaker 1: And Bobby just quickly fitness apps yes or no?
Speaker 2: For me, No, I just I just can't ask. Yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure there's a lot of really valuable apps out there that would benefit a lot of people, but not for me.
Speaker 1: If you seem to jump on and off these wearable and apps and little gizmos and gadgets like a fucking bunny on a fucking.
Speaker 3: Field, crackhrps. You got to have a crack at life.
Speaker 1: What tell us like what you've used and what you think without naming brands, what you've used and what for you? We're not talking globally, but for you was dogshit or for you was somewhat valuable or anywhere on the scale.
Speaker 4: I still I still use my garment watch, but I that has at times had a bit of a turbulent relationship.
Speaker 3: I use it, but you just have to manage.
Speaker 4: What whether you're getting value from something or whether it is starting to become obsessive or change your think. I think how things affect your thinking is a big thing.
Speaker 3: What's you know, like.
Speaker 4: How the data that I already know is terrible on sleep. How does looking at that and registering that, oh I got no RAM or deep sleep when you know that's actually bullshit? How does that affect me? Will do or don't look at it? So it's been for me, I don't know. I used to use the mizones to track my workouts. That can become turbulent because then all of a sudden you want to always hit them like you always want to push to hit the red zone. You want to train at one hundred percent all of the time, and you're not working out to recover or you're not working out to build strength, You're just doing high intensity. So I think it's understanding if the app or the resource fits your goals and how it affects your mind.
Speaker 1: I agree, I think the like for some people, data is inspiration and motivation and something to chase and it's exciting because I can. And for other people it's anxiety. You know, the same thing can produce an anxiety negative response, or produce some dopamine. Because I'm looking at it, I'm like, fuck, yeah, look at my look at my progress. I'm a fak a weapon, you know. Yeah, So I think again as Bobby said before bioindividuality, it's psycho individuality as well. It's like, well, how do you respond? Tiff responds great to this, I don't, So therefore is it good or bad? The question is for whom, yes.
Speaker 2: You know and when within your journey, because one person might respond very well to something at a different point within their cycle of change. So someone like Tiffany who's been exercising forever, she's like in the trans theoretical model, she would be described as someone who's in the termination phase, where she's no longer going through a cycle of change. This is who she is. So like data could be quite inspiring to push yourself, where someone who is just getting into action and hasn't really been exercising, it might be anxiety written especially if I have a low sense of self efficacy and now there's a certain outcome that I'm looking for. On the opposite side of that, something that is behavioral in nature, like am I showing up to the gym? You know how many steps am I doing? So focusing on not outcomes but behaviors and having to match that, that might be more inspiring and a better tool for consistency. And then that might flip for you six months from now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is very true. Also remembering the reliability factor. T if I think you have a mildel interesting story about monitoring your blood glucose.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that was. That was a terrible experience.
Speaker 4: That I'm a physiological So I put one of those continuous glucose monitors on, which immediately told me I was hYP hypoglycemic every night. It was dangerously low blood she'll get every night when I was sleeping, and in no time I was feeling fatigued and really unwell. And then I went to the just before booking an endochonrologist, I went and got some pin prick tests from the chemist to realize that it was. It was out completely. There was nothing wrong with my blood sugar. But yeah, it had a massive effect on how I felt.
Speaker 1: And then when you got the real reading, you felt good. Yeah, you feltrazy, so it was giving you a false low and then you started to feel the effects of that fake reading was real in your head, right, but the data was flawed, but you believed the data and you responded as though that was a real thing. And then the same person with the same blood sugar got an accurate reading when I'm good. Now, that's a no sea bow, dude. Yeah, that's when you think some bad's going on and it isn't, and you get a bad response because you fucking created it.
Speaker 4: Another data thing I was thinking of, like that Strava app awesome, awesome for tracking things, but I used to notice. I remember once signing up to a running program training thing on my watch that gave me different intensities to run at, and sometimes I didn't want to do them because I'm like, well, people will see my run and they'll see a slow pace and so sad that I'm always running it a pushing the pace, which is not great for performance outcomes in the future.
Speaker 3: So ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. There's been more than a few times where not recently, but over the years. I've done a video of something in the gym and I look at the video and what I'm doing is relatively impressive, but I don't look as good as I want, so I fuck it off some vain I'm like, no, it's a bit of fat hanging out on my fucking finglet like ah, fuck now, and I know that I'm doing it, and I go do it, you know, at where human huh, and no.
Speaker 3: One else sees that. In us, no one would see what you see in that video.
Speaker 1: And I, you know, I know, I'm in relatively good shape, but it's like the as that that body dysmorphia thing still fucking hanging around a little bit. So I've just got to be aware that, Yeah, do I have body issues, yep, but at least I can be aware of them and acknowledge them. And Bobby has a podcast called call a Self Help Antidote I was blanking. And Robert Capuccio dot Com is his website. Self Help Antidote is his podcast, and you can find him on LinkedIn. Tiff has a podcast called Roll with the Punches Roll with the Punches Podcast. She's also she's fucking everywhere on Well, when I say she's fucking everywhere, I'm not sure about that, but you can see her many places in the virtual world. As for the previous comment, not sure.
Speaker 2: Roy kent of podcasting, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh come on, bro, no, I haven't wouldn't play on my thing.
Speaker 1: That's like saying I haven't breathed yet. Fucking open your lungs and get some ted lasso into you. Thank you everyone, appreciate you. I hope you've got something out of that. Thank you, Bobby, thank you, Tiff, thank you,