Speaker 1: I didn't really have acne growing up, but I've started getting it now.
Speaker 2: I'm like old.
Speaker 1: Now, come on, come on, community, I thought I was over it.
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, welcome back to your Thursday's Girl's Guide. We are still with Ashley the Confidence Coach, and we're answering your questions that you asked over on our Instagram.
Speaker 4: A lot of questions that we got from the girl is how.
Speaker 3: Do I feel wanted or like self confident in yourself without needing male validation? Because I feel like that is a big thing from girls in general, wanting attention from males and feeling getting confidence from that. So how can we do it without men telling us enough?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: That is a tough one, And honestly, it is still something that I work on all the time, you know, because especially coming from the industry that I have a.
Speaker 2: Lot of, it is external validation and.
Speaker 1: Approval from others, you know, and especially like I'm looking at myself, I'm listening to myself all the time, and so it's something that I'm very conscious about. I think we're coming back to our internal confidence and thinking about what we think about ourselves, our personal stories, what sort of narrative we're having, and we're telling ourselves as to why we feel like we need that validation. So obviously there's gonna be some sort of a wound from our past that is making us feel like we are only worthy with someone else's approval. And I'm not a therapist, I'm not a psychologist, so I'm not gonna go tons into that, but I think that ways that I sort of deal with that is by being my own hype girl, wearing things that make me feel good. You know, like I don't really follow trends in terms of clothing because I don't look that good in.
Speaker 2: Low wasted things. I don't look that good in like I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like finding your style, finding things that make you feel good. So I know that I feel good in a crop in high wasted things because I like that in my body shape. Yeah, So I think it's really about the story that we're telling ourselves. And so when you it's about building up your own self worth, it's about building up your own validation in your own mind, and it's about being your own biggest supporter. So I guess that's where it comes into affirmations. It comes into thinking about what makes you feel good. And doing more of that. I guess, you know, it is really difficult. It is something that people have to work on all the time. People say to me that my gap in my teeth is ugly. People tell me, you know, you get very criticized online. Yeah, and so it's easy to take that on board. But I think it only hurts if it has a bit of truth behind it. And if it has truth behind it, it means that there's something there that you need to work on.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, that's really good advice.
Speaker 3: And I think kind of going off that, I know, within today's society, we have so.
Speaker 4: Many different trends when it comes to body shapes.
Speaker 3: Like one second it's the bbl's, the next second it's like having the biggest die gap.
Speaker 4: And like being really small and skinny.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of girls, it's a very known thing that we all struggle with our body and what we look like and always wanting to change and we can never be happy with who we are. We always want to be a smaller size, or you could always be a little bit more skinny, and all of those things. But what is something that you can do for yourself every single day that makes you happy? In the skin that you're in, and like, as you said, you dress for the body that you're in. What a ways that girls can maybe figure out that for themselves and learn to love themselves with what they look like now instead of like constantly wanting to change.
Speaker 1: I feel like it is definitely about trial and error figuring out what works for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know, when you.
Speaker 1: See someone walking down the street at an event wherever you are, and you see them walking with purpose, with an energy, with an aura, you just think that they look confident, right, You're not looking at their clothes and being like, oh, that looks ugly, that's not on trend whatever. You know, if you feel comfortable in what you're wearing, you're going to give that off.
Speaker 2: You're going to be self assured.
Speaker 1: And so actually figuring out what looks good on you and what makes you feel good is the key. And so I always feel great and feel powerful when I'm in a blazer. That's why I wear them all the time. And and I wear color. I don't really wear black for me, that makes me feel really depressed. So I wear a lot of whites, but I wear a lot of color, and blazers for me are really important, but just making sure if you don't feel comfortable in what you're wearing, and if you're always adjusting it, if you're always trying to suck your stomach in, if you're always trying to push the boobs up, you know, then people are going to notice those little fidgety things because that's your nonverbal communication, and it's showing other people that you don't feel comfortable in what you're wearing. And so you can't really be confident in what you're wearing if you keep readjusting and so making sure that you're wearing things that are fitting correctly that make you feel good.
Speaker 4: That's the key. I couldn't agree with you more.
Speaker 3: Especially I love experimenting with my style with the job that I'm in, Like I am very lucky to get to wear different things all the time, but I can bouch that one hundred percent of if I'm in something that I know I don't feel comfortable in, I will not be confident and I will not have a then have a good time. And some people say that that's like a superficial thing of like, oh my god, you only care about what you look like, But it's like, once you know that you're comfortable, then you know that you can be your true self because you're not thinking of any external factors and it's like, oh, I can breathe.
Speaker 4: I know I'm in pants that I'm comfortable in.
Speaker 5: I know that.
Speaker 3: Like it's going to be okay because you're not so hyper aware of things exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think it's the hyper awareness because then that's all you're focusing on, and you're not thinking about how to have a conversation. You're not thinking about the next question to us, you're not thinking about your other body language techniques. You know, that's what you're focusing on, and so then you're going to be disengaged.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: So just wear what you want, guys, bagg of jeans and a T shirt.
Speaker 5: Do it, and you don't have to wear a corset top.
Speaker 2: It'll make you feel more confident for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, So there's a very common saying of faking it to your make care. Would you say that that's a good kind of statement to go by it, to live by it, to practice.
Speaker 1: I feel like yes, because you've got to try.
Speaker 2: You've got to start.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't really become confident and good at something if you can't even start or try it. And so if what gets you over the line is faking it, for sure, that's great, but it's I don't know if it's about faking it. I take it back, Yeah, it is, because like my body language techniques, if I feel nervous as hell and I'm going into a situation that I don't feel super comfortable in, I can use my body language techniques to fake it to other people and they think that I'm confident. But it's also then going back into my brain and rewiring it so that I feel comfortable and confident in that situation and as well. So I think that there definitely is an element of faking it because you've got to start somewhere. You're not going to be an expert the first time you try something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think another thing about like confidence, and I think a lot of girls struggle with appearance. So we're getting a lot of questions about like your appearance and even go with through puberty, you might have more acne or like as you said, like sometimes people's teeth or like everything like that. How like I know, like sometimes maybe I'll have a pimpole when it's like the first thing I point out, so then nobody else can address it, Like do you know when you do like oh yeah, like I know I have this on my face, like just like ignore it. Like how can you almost get past that barrier of being like, oh my god, everyone's looking at my acne or oh my god, everyone's like looking at this. So it's something that you are so hyper aware of and so insecure. What are some techniques that you can almost dismiss that a little bit to then move forward to then gain the confidence and know that people.
Speaker 5: Aren't really talking or thinking about that. Do you know what I'm trying to say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because it's something that you're conscious of and you're thinking about, you think that that's all anyone else is thinking about as well. And I get the same way. I annoyingly this is like I don't know whether this is sad or annoying, but I didn't really have acne growing up, but I've started getting it now, which is like what the hell, I'm like old.
Speaker 2: Now, come on, come on.
Speaker 1: I thought I was over it, but no, So I've started to get it and I've become really conscious of it. And because I haven't ever had it before, I'm like that is all anyone is seeing. But again, people aren't really thinking about you as much as you're thinking about you. And if you're drawing attention to it by saying, yeah, I know I have a pimple on my face, people are then going to think about it, right, Yeah, So it's again what thoughts are going on in your mind. If you're thinking about it over and over and over again, that's all you're going to be conscious of. That's all you're going You know, someone's walking down the street, they look at me. Again, I'm gonna be like, oh my god, they're looking at my pimple. No, they're probably looking at something else. They're probably not even looking at you, you know, whereas that's what you're thinking about most. So that's going to be the reality that you create. So realizing that people don't actually think about you as much as you think about you, but realizing that you can change your thoughts and beliefs and so, you know, if you don't want that to rule your reality, just change it.
Speaker 3: And I think I need this as well, because I meet a lot of people that I don't necessarily know.
Speaker 5: I'm meeting new faces every day.
Speaker 3: How do you start a conversation with maybe new people without being awkward and confidently hold a conversation.
Speaker 1: There is so much strategy behind being a conversationalist. And I'm really excited to answer this because I feel like people go into conversations just like freely and think that you know, there's nothing behind it, but there's actually really strong strategy and skills that you can use.
Speaker 2: So this is perfect. Okay.
Speaker 1: So when you meet someone for the first time, it's about building rapid connection with them as quickly as possible, So I call it rapid rapport.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so for the other person, if you want them to feel good about you, to like you, to feel like you're a confident person, you're going to want to make them feel seen, heard, and remembered. So that is basically asking questions and active listening. So when you're thinking about asking questions, I know that it can be a little bit scary to feel like you have to carry a conversation or hold a conversation or continue it on. But when you know that there's like an actual formula to it, it becomes a lot easier. And again when you do it over and over again, it becomes second nature. Like I could hold a conversation with literally anyone at any point in time, because I've done it so much. So when it comes to the structure, we have to think about our inquisitive words. So it's who, what, when, where, why, and how. So if you start a sentence with any of those, you're going to have unlimited conversation.
Speaker 5: Because they're open ended questions.
Speaker 1: Because they're open ended questions, so I'm not going to strike up a conversation and my first question isn't going to be a yes or no answer for you, because that is going to make me have to work really, really hard. So I'm going to ask one that is asking for your opinion for storytelling or for your thoughts on something, so that is going to make it open ended. And so a lot of them are like why and how questions, So that's how to sort of continue a conversation. But in terms of active listening, you need to be reading the other person's body language as well. So you're listening to what they're saying, you're trying to understand what they're actually trying to say, and then you're looking at their body language. So if someone is darting their eyes away, if someone is leaning back, if someone is crossing their arms. If someone is leaning out of the conversation, maybe like, am I doing any of this now? I'm like, that means that they're disengaging, that they don't feel comfortable, that they're not really in it. If someone is leaning forward, if they're tilting their head forward, if they're making eye contact, if they're using body language that is engaging, they're really in the conversation.
Speaker 2: So to keep a conversation.
Speaker 1: Going, I am listening to what they're saying, reading their body language, and trying to figure out what they're actually trying to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So again, it.
Speaker 1: All boils down to, though, making them feel seen, heard, and remembered, because that is going to make them feel good around you, and it's going to make them want to come back.
Speaker 2: So how can you do that?
Speaker 1: A lot of the time, it's by asking questions, by validating them, and by showing empathy, and by complimenting them because everyone loves a compliment, right, And so if you can do those things, it's really easy to keep a conversation going.
Speaker 2: And I know that that's a lot.
Speaker 1: To think about, but it's easy when you practice it, and you can do just one thing at a time. You know, start by trying to look at people around you and read their body language.
Speaker 2: It's just like people watching.
Speaker 1: Just sit there for a minute, have a look at people around you, think about what is their body language telling us?
Speaker 2: Are the people? What's it giving away about them?
Speaker 1: Then maybe in a different conversation when you're having a conversation with someone, make the conscious decision that you are going to carry the conversation. So go in with a pre prepared question and then get read you to follow it up. And so if you practice all of these things in different scenarios, you can then bring them all together and that's going to make it really easy for you to meet literally anyone.
Speaker 5: Wow, that was really good advice.
Speaker 3: Thank you so so much for coming on Just for Girls podcast, Ash. The girls I know that are listening, and I definitely have taken so much from this conversation, So we are so grateful for having you on Girls. If you want to hear from Ash again, I feel like we've only touched the.
Speaker 5: Surface of what you could talk about, So please.
Speaker 3: Let us know in the Instagram dms in my DMS if we want Ash back on. So thank you Ash so much for coming on, and thank you guys for listening and I'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me anytime, babe, anytime,