Speaker 1: Trigger on ing. Some listeners may find this podcast distressing. This is a real story about a real person that is still unfolding in real time, and any leads or information from anybody out there may help the family either find the answers or the closure they're desperately searching for. Sydney's Eastern Suburbs isn't just one of the most affluent areas in Australia, but it's one of the most densely populated parts of this country too, and for many years it was where Katie Walker, a British born forty six year old mum of two, called home until one day, forty nine days ago now at the time of me recording this podcast, Katie never returned to her home in Darling Point and she hasn't been seen since.
Speaker 2: She said, Elizabeth, you're I just feel I'm unsafe, you know, I'm just I'm sleeping and these these guys come in.
Speaker 1: With CCTV capturing her last known movements at one twelve pm on Saturday May twenty third, twenty twenty six. In that grainy image, Katie is seen walking down Alexander Street in Tamarama towards Mackenzie's Bay as of.
Speaker 3: Now, we have nothing since May twenty three. On that day we have her moving like from one area to the next, not so far from Bondai. I don't know Sydney that well.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, according to the media who briefly covered this story weeks ago with articles that you may have read, Katie is a former producer of Married at First Sight Australia, which is the job title they reduced her to for clickbait with headlines like fears for mass producer before moving on to other stories then that were a bit more scandalous or sallacious. But the issue with those very few news stories was they just weren't true.
Speaker 4: That's not even her, she wasn't a producer. This is all just like I think, like detracting from the real thing, like this is because I know that's a controversial show or there's other factors, but that's she was a beautiful person that needs support.
Speaker 1: The only brief bit of attention this case has gotten from the mainstream media contained the most inaccurate information. Katie never worked for Married at First Sight or has ever had any connection to the show, which has baffled her friends and family about where this story came from.
Speaker 4: We've known each other for five years, five years to this month. She never once said I was a producer. I am a producer. It's just like, it's completely distracting.
Speaker 1: When New South Wales Police first issued a missing person's appeal for Katie Walker on June fourth, the media then put her her name into LinkedIn and confused her with Kate Walker, a TV producer who did appear in the same search results. That's where this case of mistaken identity stems from. But that also means that anyone in Sydney who did take notice of her disappearance all those weeks ago from those articles and wanted to help, they were reading details about the wrong woman.
Speaker 3: But it helps to get her image around and just in case someone has seen her anywhere, really, because there are some hours that aren't accounted for, so yeah, just as many people as we can reach, just in case they saw her on that day.
Speaker 1: Katie is a glamorous and spiritual jewelry designer, an aspiring author, and the only similarity between Katie and Kate other than a near identical name, is the fact that they both have brown hair, and they both called Sydney's Eastern Suburbs home. A place where no one else something like this to happen. This isn't the Australian outback where you can go hours without seeing another soul, Nor is it the Australian bush, where dense forests can swallow you whole if one of the deadly animals hiding in the shadows doesn't get to you first.
Speaker 2: But the reason why I'm bringing this up is that he showed up in Sydney, and it's like, what is the chances of that?
Speaker 1: This is a place where ambition and adventure, status and success all blur together for the two hundred and sixty seven thousand people who call this part of Sydney this slice of Heaven home, which is why it is so hard to comprehend how someone can just vanish here in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Just said she's gone, and I said, what do you mean gone? You know, I guess the first words that came out of my mouth was fuck.
Speaker 5: Fuck fuck.
Speaker 1: In Sydney's Eastern Suburbs, his apartment blocks in every direction you look, squeeze next to mansions worth tens of millions of dollars, These hostels bursting with backpackers, cafes with qes spilling onto the footpath, roads that are rarely without traffic and public transport packed shoulder to shoulder, and these construction cranes that rarely disappear from the skyline. As this area, this slice of Heaven grows bigger and busier by the day. Life is everywhere in Sydney's Eastern suburbs, and amongst all of that life. Over the last four months, since returning to Australia from her new home of America, with a brief stop in Dubai for business along the way, Katie Walker could be found rebuilding her life with a smile on her face while only looking forward to the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think for Gid Katie, she was definitely had a big transition in her life and with that, you know, it could be an ungroundedness or an uncertainty. We often, you know, all experience those seasons.
Speaker 5: She had been sitting not very long.
Speaker 4: She had lived in another country prior to that, so there was a lot of relocation stress, but.
Speaker 5: In general she was a very optimistic person.
Speaker 1: Over the last four months, locals likely spotted Katie strolling from her unit in Darling Point down to Double Bay for a spot of shopping or to grab a coffee in Bondai beat always immaculately dressed while coming up with new dreams alongside her friends.
Speaker 2: She's a lot of fun, funny, funny, funny, talented, so talented and makes jewelry and so she We were actually talking about doing a podcast ourselves and traveling around because together I guess, both of us being from England.
Speaker 1: But sadly, Katie may never get to make that podcast or continue her travels unless any of you people listening to this right now can help us figure out how in a place this crowded, this connected, and this alive, how can someone simply disappear without a trace?
Speaker 4: You know, Katie was like a very striking, beautiful woman. She's not somebody that somebody would walk past and not acknowledge like she surely people have.
Speaker 1: Seen her, not just that, but how does someone vanish in the middle of the day just meters away from one of the world's most famous coastal tracks, the iconic bond Ei to Kujie cliff Walk, which has over eight thousand visitors daily with not a single person seeing anything.
Speaker 4: She's magnetic, like every time we went to places, people would stop and say you're so beautiful. I mean, she was like extraordinarily beautiful. So I think that just surely people have seen her, noticed her, saw something that could be potentially helpful.
Speaker 1: That's what I've been asking myself lately after first reading about Katie Walker in those articles, who was last seen in Sydney's Tamarama on May twenty third, And just like the police and the private investigator that's been hired, That's what I've been trying to figure out lately while speaking to her friends and family and all those involved in this story, which is still very much unfolding as I sit here and record this right now.
Speaker 2: But she just didn't want to be there anyway. She wanted to come back to America.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, and then that's where you and Justine were like her support in America.
Speaker 2: Then yeah.
Speaker 1: Trigger warning now ahead of the next part of this podcast. The police do have an unsubstantiated theory on what happened that Katie sadly took her own life, which is the easiest conclusion to come to given where she was last seen and how close to the water that was. But the police's investigation remains active. While appealing to the public for any information that will help them prove or disprove this. I'm now going to retrace the steps that the police think Katie did. You can hear the ocean now, but I still have to climb down another two sections, and this is in full view of the coastal track. Like all those people have said walking that, a lot of them are now looking at me. And this working theory, which again there is no proof of, is one that Katie's loved ones refuse to believe, and they do suspect foul play and something more sinister here.
Speaker 4: There's too many puzzling circumstances. Something is missing from the story and that feels deeply unsettling at somebody who loved her, but also justice for her.
Speaker 1: And this is why Katie's found recently flew from the UK to Sydney to fund their own private investigation, because again there's just too many things to them at least and me now, which proved that likely isn't the ending of this story, and the truth is still out there.
Speaker 2: You know, what's the likelihood of somebody wanting to kill themselves if they're waiting for the large sum of money or a decent amount of money to come.
Speaker 1: And Casey's friends and family want her face to be seen by as many people as possible, and her story, her real story, to be heard by as many people as possible, because surely someone out there must know something that could help them either find answers or closure.
Speaker 4: If somebody less than twenty four hours prior is completing a bank transaction that could be potential relief for some circumstance, then that, oftentimes to me, if somebody was truly suicidal, had a plan and was ready to act upon it, I don't think they would care too much about these for the listings.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm recording this podcast to help get Katie's story out there, which every friend and family member of hers I've spoken to have said they are so desperate to do. And Katie's loved one's refusal to accept what the police feel is a quite compelling theory, although I must note again their investigation is very much still active and ongoing. Isn't fueled just by knowing Katie personally, but also by the noticeable lack of proof that she did that, alongside the endless twists, turns and confusion when you do know the full story, that theory doesn't explain why. Over six hours later, at seven forty pm, Katie's phone was then switched on for the very last time and ping from this cell tower here in Bondai. Plus. These then the list of questionable people who had entered Katie's life over the last few months, who those that love her are now urging for help in identifying.
Speaker 2: She said that, she goes, I can't fucking believe it. You know that I that was in my room, that came in my room?
Speaker 1: Is it is? You know?
Speaker 2: I bumped into him on the beach in Sydney. She's what the fucking chances of that?
Speaker 1: Because of that initial yet inaccurate media storm three weeks ago. Now, Katie Walker, to most people out there, is a former producer of Married at First Sight Australia.
Speaker 5: Are young here for the wrong reasons?
Speaker 1: I do, Well, then, why did you want to sleep with another guy?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, you're walking off by You're you and I'll be honest, that's what made me first take notice of this story. My name is Joshua Fox. I'm a former journalist and I host The Maths Funny podcast and much of my career has been built around commentating that show, speaking to the cast and just creating content that feeds into the chaos that comes from strangers marrying.
Speaker 5: She wanted to give where's tomorrow? Tomorrow?
Speaker 1: She wanted to your hausband. When I first read those articles and noticed that there was never any updates, I first thought, maybe this story has been quietly resolved and maybe Katie has been found. But then once I started digging a bit deeper, I realized no, she was still very much missing. That's when I started reaching out to Katie's friends and family just to ask if me using my platforms, this podcast and my audience to help bring more awareness that could lead to new information, would that be helpful, And as everybody I spoke to then said yes, please, we would be grateful for anything. Not only did I then realize the married at first sight connection which initially inspired me to get involved, was nonexistent, but I also realized this story is much bigger than I ever thought, which is why I've now created a whole new podcast feed for it. Katie isn't just a woman who was wrongly identified in the press. Katie is a mother of two. Katie is a much love daughter and sister, and Katie is also a friend and a creative and a free spirit.
Speaker 3: She was.
Speaker 5: Joyous in a lot of ways.
Speaker 4: I mean, we all have our experiences that bring us down, but she half the times was she was a spiritual person. She could kind of look beyond hardship in a lot of ways. She had a lot of positive qualities to her.
Speaker 1: Katie is also someone who sings her heart out while saving hotel rooms as she checks in.
Speaker 3: Hey here, she is your.
Speaker 1: Actually, Katie is someone who is often just found belting out any song with her friends, who all describe her as someone just full of so much joy and life and excitement.
Speaker 2: Two and one, two three, Oh Lord, won't family mersy?
Speaker 1: This is the disappearance of Katie Walker a podcast series? Is I never thought I'd be creating a series I'm sad I'm making and a series that will be unfolding in real time as the exposure we hope it will bring will hopefully it lead to fresh leads that will help Katie's family find the answers they're desperately searching for.
Speaker 3: Color dollar for dollars is trying to tell me?
Speaker 1: And I suspect some people may question is this series even appropriate? And question where is the line between capturing public attention and creating what can feel like exploitative content, and don't worry, I'm with you on that. Part of me feels a bit uncomfortable because it's like, it's like how much is helpful? But you have to tell a full story to get public support and in order to find answers, Like I feel, the whole story needs to be there because that's the only way people notice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of small details that you have information on from these other parties, and the most pressing, bigger message is that this is a woman that's missing.
Speaker 1: As I've sat and attempted to write the script you're now listening to me read multiple times over the last few days, I've constantly found myself conflicted while figuring out how do I tell Katie's story respectfully and bring the awareness that her loved ones want without it starting to feel like sensationalism. True crime isn't a genre that I personally consume, as it mostly makes me feel uncomfortable, and true crime also isn't a jore I've ever worked across. Most of my career in media has been centered around entertainment and showbiz, so I will be honest here. This whole thing is slightly out of my depth. But then I realized, if we want people to stop and think about Katie and take notice and really look at her picture scratched their brains thinking did they see something that may help or do they know something that may help? They must know the full story of who Katie is and her life over the last few months, and they must know the real woman who is still out there missing the woman I'm starting to feel who I know to an extent and understand.
Speaker 6: Is there, I mean, anything else you wants to say about Katie or share or just like I really want to do justice with her story and my understanding at the minute, tell me if this is an accurate reflection.
Speaker 1: She's always been quite creative. She's a bit of a floater like she you know, she's been living here, there, and everywhere. After she broke up with she ended up in America. You know, she remarried that ended. She's got a bit of money, which she may be wasted to some extent she's borrowing to other people, but ultimately she's always just been happy and joyous. To me, it's the story of a woman who became lost in a way, but wasn't defeated.
Speaker 4: I would agree with that she was very clever, she was very smart, and she was highly soulful, and she I truly believe that many circumstances she would be able to problem solve and I deeply feel that something is missing from her story.
Speaker 1: Every day in Australia, approximately one hundred and fifty people are reported missing and ninety percent of them are found within one week, and most children are found within twenty four hours. And data shows that annually ninety seven to ninety nine percent of those cases are eventually resolved, often before the wider public us people even become aware they were missing in the first place. Then the few and lucky people, you could say, the ones who remain missing. Only the ones who have a story the media feel is worth reporting on, are the ones we hear about.
Speaker 5: We have some breaking news this hour.
Speaker 1: A coronial inquest into the suspected death of frudster Melissa Kaddick has concluded that she is deceased. In recent years, there was Melissa Kaddik, who was linked to some of Sidney's most elite and her disappearance had millions of dollars and drama attached to it, or you may also remember Too Hayes, the Belgian backpacker who vanished from Byron Bay in twenty nineteen and is still missing.
Speaker 2: His family's been left with mixed emotions, devastated about the unanswered questions, but hopeful our reward will one day flash out answers.
Speaker 1: Teo's story went international because of not just the many twists, but the potential impact on Australian tourism and the fear it instilled in every young person around the world, who, just like Too, had been saving up for what they thought would be the trip of a lifetime exploring this country. But sadly, Katie, the real Katie isn't linked to the country's most dramatic reality show, nor is she attached to anyone or anything high profile that may appeal to the mainstream media out there, which I believe is why no one is talking about this story. But Katie deserves as much visibility as those previous cases received. So if you're a journalist listening to this, or a podcast host, or an influencer, or just a regular normal person with your own private social media, please report on Katie, talk about Katie's Share this podcast, Share her picture, share anything together. Let's just help Katie's loved ones get her story out there to as many people as possible, and as for me personally, just to end this now. The more I've learned about Katie over the last couple of weeks, more I've realized how similar we both are. Not only are we both from England, but we've both found ourselves chasing adventure and romances from country to country. We've both spent years pursuing our creative passions, and we both at some point then settled in Sydney's Eastern suburbs and lived just minutes away from each other without ever realizing. Here's hoping this podcast series will have a happy ending