Speaker 1: Welcome to the mentor. I'm Mark Boris Damn Sam's welcome to the mentor.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: And now you're the founder or your co founder, but one of the one of the two co founders of the brand basic or Basic or Basic. I don't care what way you want to say it, but I would say I would I'd go back to tours and I'm going to say Basic, how's it go? Basic? It's good, that's little to do. And you're a fashion brand, so probably the most And I'm not a fashion person, so i'd like you if you don't mind explaining to me a what is a fashion brand? And what is the basic fashion brand? What do you stand for?
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny because I wouldn't actually, I mean, we're a design lead brand. We're not necessarily we are a fashion brand, but in a different sense, because it's.
Speaker 1: A good point. You're not sort of doing what's ever fashionable, is what you mean? It's more about maybe classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not following trends. I'm trying to trying to design purposeful clothing that's beautiful, that's luxurious, and it makes sense that people need and it needs to be aspirational.
Speaker 1: As well.
Speaker 2: So there's a sense of luxury and a good feeling when you buy our brand. But it's not necessarily people buying it because they want to look super trendy or super cool. That's my view on it. I mean, I think our customer feels good in it, they feel safe in it, and they aspire to look a certain way, and they pay the money because it's not you know, we're not fast fashioned. We're locally produced. So that's a big part of what we do, the sustainability, the locally produced timeless. I suppose classic and I think you know, I design products that last. So a basic T shirt you buy, it'll be a good T shirt, you wear it only out, you'll save it, and then after two or three years it'll become the T shirt that you might wear to the gym and then maybe you wear it to bed in ten years time, or polish your car with it, you know what I mean. Like it's Scott Longevity our brand.
Speaker 1: Do you mind if we just lean into that whole fashion bit and fast fashion. Fashion is when I use the word fashion, I'm sort of talking about not necessarily what's fashionable, but I'm talking about sort of clothes clothing brand, clothing brands, I mean as opposed to it being fashionable. Maybe just leaning Toto this for a second though. So I've had a I used to have a mate I still have made it still live. He's be in his nineties now and his wife used to have a clothing boutique in Double Bay. It was called Shirley B. And Shirley used to sell high end brands. Her husband, George Bloomfield, was a clothing guy. Maybe it's the best way I could put it to. And he knew all the right ways to get a suit made, likeself and travel overseas, and he'd say it to someone to give me three buttons, and you know, he's had all these sort of terminologies, and he's very good at sort of helping me work out because I'm an absolute bogan where I grew up and I knew nothing about men's clothing, not a s past. No, it's the truth. Because my very first suit with a light green suit and I had a brown shirt and I got it made at a place called Pineapple Joe's in George Street, which is we're now where the QVB building was is there used to be a whole series of what George is a Jewish guy, and they called his school Schmutters. There's a whole series of Taylor's and they had this was an Indian guy there and he had this shop and you walked in there when I was eight, and he went to get a suit and you choose your own material for the suit, then he may your shirt. So I got a light green suit because I thought the low ground looked nice. And I got a pair of brown light light like pustachio green. Yeah. And was it summer No, I don't know. I just it was sort of had I had won for my first job. Yeah, and had a dark brown shirt, and I had a brown Paisley tie brown Paisley brown and black because it was a Paisley period and I had a pear of brown shoes. I didn't realize you need to get one or two suits, more than one suit. And I used to get every Saturday take down the same day dry cleaning joint and get it cleaned up and pine auble Joe's and I can't It wasn't very expensive suit one hundred and fifty bucks or something like that, but I had no idea anyway. George used to sort of helped me out over time. And he used to have this saying, I can't remember how it went, but it was something as classics is all about style, and fashions about something else. But he used to always say, Mark, whenever you get something, gets something that lasts through all the fashionable periods. So maybe this year we got thin lapel. Next year we've got a broader lapel for the suit. I grew up in a suit period where everyone was wearing suits to work. The ties were you'd have a period of striped ties they go. You have a period where Paisley ties of the go, then you'd have a plain tie. He's just say he's get a plaine suit, maybe blue, maybe a gray one. And maybe when I was younger, I have a black suit as well. Get a white shirt at all. Just get a tie that suits. There's the same color solid I used to call it. Solidities were the same as your jacket. If you've got a blue suit, blue tie, and wear dark black shoes, black shoes.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: And he had this thing about classics versus fashion, and it was about, like you just said, about being out of wear every year, because if you get the fashion this year, you can't wear anische because there's a different one.
Speaker 2: And why I over complicate your life because you don't want to have to make decisions every morning, because you've got enough decisions to make that day on what to wear. So that's what we do. We make it really easy. And I disliked to design thing. I mean, there's a perfectionism in what I do in terms of quality, quality, cut everything, the make, the fabrication, it has to be the best quality, and I'm really particular about that. So something so simple as a T shirt, it actually takes about eight steps to make a T shirt in Australia. So we chose our own yarn, We designed our own fabric. It's got a very dry handle. That's for a reason a dry handle is it's from the type of plant that it's from. So I wanted to have a bit more of a vintage feel. I wanted it to be super fine, but not too fine.
Speaker 1: For the T shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the jersey, because that's where we started. We started as a jersey brand.
Speaker 1: What's a jersey brand?
Speaker 2: So jersey is a type of like it's a fabrication, it's a knit, so cotton, the cotton T shirt is a jersey. So When we started the brand, it was like just a jersey collection, but we did jersey pants, jersey oversized teas, jersey fitted teas, jersey dresses, and that's sort of the premise of the brand. It was about using organic cotton that was eighteen years ago, so we had a choice. We could choose our yarn the supplier we actually, funnily enough, we had a really great contact the people that supplied Bonds their fabrics.
Speaker 1: In Bonds Bonds Underwear and Stop.
Speaker 2: Took us on. So they basically had two customers, Bonds and a startup which was us, and we got to go into their archive, which went back about two hundred years and choose the particular type of cotton we wanted.
Speaker 1: They get there, old Bonds, are they probably well, it could.
Speaker 2: Be exactly whatever, but like old, I mean like we were. We were in like the bowels of this factory in Wentworth going through this two hundred this very old archive.
Speaker 1: And the Australian are they this is shit?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because I mean Bonds used to be locally manufactured, so I think it went off for about fifteen years ago, and we had this opportunity to access the whole archive of their libraries, Yeah, from when they started. So it was crazy, and we chose this fabric and this is a really this is a well kept secret, but I'm going to share it.
Speaker 1: Brought to you first today on the mental.
Speaker 2: It was chosen from a pair of women's cottontails.
Speaker 1: Cotton tail, yeah, I remember those cottontail.
Speaker 2: Really the really yeah yeah. And it just had the right you know, it was not too fine, it just had the right feel. So that's where our fabric came from. Our yen came from.
Speaker 1: For your T shirts, for our T shirt. So I'd imagine therefore, if it's meant to be worn close to your body, in that part of the region of your body is probably soft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 1: I mean can you can you do they grade fabric by softness? Do they sort of say soft very soft, like you know, like a diamond, very bright like?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean there's all different types of finishes. So obviously the yarn, it starts with your yarn, and then you can put finishes on your cotton like you can mercerize your cotton. We wanted something that was really unique, so I wanted to come out with this brand that had this cotton that you couldn't get anywhere else. And it was at a time in the market where there was no one doing what we did. Luxury basics was not a generic term. It is now everyone's doing luxury basics. So we were one of the first cabs off the rank in Australia.
Speaker 1: How long are we talking about now? Eight years ago? So eighteen years ago you got into the archives of the Bond Clothing Company, which got nothing to do with that bond but it's called Astracol Bonds I think it's plural. Yeah, and you chose something from there. What was the original cotton toil underwear for women?
Speaker 2: Men?
Speaker 1: Walk contails women member granny unused, Yeah, sort I remember enough, remember those ads and and you know, because those days, you know, like briefs like they are today or g strings and things like that, that that wasn't a thing in Australia. It was cotton tails. And you chose that that fabric I think the right term is fabric and off that you built you well, you designed your T shirt, So that's that's the fabric. Yeah, I mean, there's that's a fabric, but there's whole lot of other stuff goes with it too. There's the the actual guy design of the Yes, how did you work that out? Let's go back then, though I want to go back, but like because you know what about how you started your business up.
Speaker 2: So we had an esthetic and the whole inspiration behind the brand was that Lou and I we lose your founding partner, but we're no longer, so we we had this. We had this idea because we were traveling overseas. We were buying really expensive T shirts because they were the beautiful, fine cotton. But you bring them home and you couldn't wash them. You had to dry clean them and shrink. Yeah, and there were two they just wantn't they'd shrink, they just wouldn't wear properly. So we came up with this concept where we're going to do the same luxurious, minimalist luxury tea, but we're going to pre shrink them for everyone, so you can actually just put them in the wash and the dryer and they come back the same size as they did when you bought them.
Speaker 1: Could I actually just not before I want to hear the rest of the story of it. We're just just whiles I think of it. Pre shrinking. Do you actually wash them before you send them out? Is that how it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's something probably people don't know. Do you find that annoying when you buy a T shirt and.
Speaker 1: Then kills me buying the next size up just in case?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that doesn't happen with our T shirts. So that was the whole concept and the premise behind the brand. It was very much about luxury, but everyday luxury that you could just launder, you could put in the dryer, and it was just a no brainer. And we had such great connections from like working in the industry for so many years that we positioned it in high end boutiques in Australia, and at that time there were many because the economy was two thousand and six, it was prest GFC, not GST, and it just went bang, It just flew. And I think we had like forty accounts in the first season.
Speaker 1: Meaning forty distribution points.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and this is like Kaien you know that sold lots of different international brands.
Speaker 1: For example currently agents for examples, David Jones an example.
Speaker 2: Not then. I mean we stocked David Jones now, but that was like a bit like oh no, we're we're not stocking David Jonesans. Yet it was a bit like I think it was five or six years until we relented.
Speaker 1: Can you an example where.
Speaker 2: So you know, remember the Belinda stores Belinda, No, okay, there's you know stores like Puopka just really the fat stores in Melbourne, Cactus Doam Island Lux. Have you heard about it. Yeah, so we've stopped them. Yeah, we've stopped them since day one our first season, we still stopped them. So yeah, we positioned the brand very high end but not unattainable. And then our price point was you know, it was eighty dollars for a T shirt, so at that time that was an investment, but it wasn't out of It was actually okay for some people, and it just went crazy immediately. However, there was one little slight hiccup on the way through, so our first delivery three months late and everything came in. We got the shrinkage wrong on the continent. So it's actually really hard to make a good fitting T shirt. Surprisingly you would think not, but with jersey jerseys shrink there's a warp in a weft, so they shrink very differently, and each batch also shrinks differently, so you have to make a pattern check the shrinkage. So you wash a piece of fabric, you see how much it shrinks. You then apply that to the pattern, just the pattern, Yeah, to allow for that shrinkage. However, it was our first production run and we got that wrong.
Speaker 1: Is it because you didn't shrink the fabric first?
Speaker 2: I actually don't know that. I mean it could have been a number of reasons, but it was like pretty diabolical.
Speaker 1: How much had you invested?
Speaker 2: I mean we had like big orders for a first season, and so then our esthetic became a little bit more oversized. So we basically had to turn this massive error error I was going to say something rude, but into.
Speaker 1: A fuck up you can see for Yeah, it was a big.
Speaker 2: Fuck up, and we had to turn that into like, oh no, but you know it's a slouch it's a slouch tea.
Speaker 1: Which means oversized. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, somehow we pulled it off. That all the stores were hating us because it was Christmas time. They wanted their deliveries, they were trying to cancel. They were like, okay, we'll take it sale or return. So we were like, okay, just take it.
Speaker 1: Which means if they don't sell, you get it.
Speaker 2: Back. Yeah, so they need pay for what they sell. Anyway, Thank god we delivered, it's sold, they reordered, and we're still in business.
Speaker 1: And the name basic does that that sounds given what you're just explained, it sounds quite purposeful in terms of being able to identify the features you're trying to sell or you're trying to you're trying to build into what you're selling. Sounds to be. It sounds to me as though you try to put it into the name.
Speaker 2: It's basic, Yeah, it is what it is. Yeah, it's like there's no tricks, no. And that's the thing about our brand. It is very simple. It is very honest, it's authentic, it has its own brand in a and it's simple. It's basic.
Speaker 1: Can I just on that? Then if I was to pick a couple of words to describe your brand, maybe if you were to pick a couple words to describe your brand simple as one would, what are some other words? Is reliable, consistent, persistent? What are some other things that come out?
Speaker 2: I think we're designed?
Speaker 1: Let what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Well, we're not just there's a lot that goes into the design, Like there's a lot of I mean, I'm a perfectionist, and I have a certain way of seeing things that others don't. I have a very esthetic eye, so I know how a T shirt should fit. And look, whether it's a snap.
Speaker 1: We're getting worried now, a jacket off careful.
Speaker 2: So you know, And there's nuances behind the way we design. There's little details in our T shirts. So when we started, we did everything with raw hems, not.
Speaker 1: Sewed. Yeah, is that what that means? Hit a little bit untidy.
Speaker 2: And it just made the T shirt unique and it gave it a point of difference and it was a little bit more fashion, but it wasn't unwearable.
Speaker 1: It was cool.
Speaker 2: That was like a cool detail, and that was what we were known for. And then there were things like a chain stitch back neeck detail that we would do this for.
Speaker 1: No, I don't be just is for both male and female. Yeah, the brand is you don't have a male and a female, it's just one for both your men's and women.
Speaker 2: Right yea yeah.
Speaker 1: And so did you apply those back then? Did you apply that that those little nuances to both male and female? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we wanted and that's the thing.
Speaker 1: What are you trying to do? What were you trying to do. How were you? What was the message you're trying to teach everybody.
Speaker 2: Trying to establish a brand?
Speaker 1: DNA and what is that?
Speaker 2: That's that's your what is your make yourself? What's the word for it? I think.
Speaker 1: Unique because I think T shirts a good T shirts cool? Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean for me, I'm not into fashion people taking themselves too seriously, you know what I mean? And I often say that to myself when I get overwhelmed at work. I'm like, you're not running the United Nations here, You're making T shirts like zoom out like it's okay. And I think I'm not into dressing, Like I am into fashion, but I'm not into dressing too seriously. And I think my customer. The way I like to see people dress is just like like they're not trying too hard. It's not like a big thing that I'm trying to impress, but they do take pride in the way they look and they want to look good. And that's that's our brand.
Speaker 1: Just just on that this So is there danger and maybe you did the work on it, but is there danger particularly in clothing? I won't say fashion with clothing and clothing for a manufacturer like you to make a decision as to what everybody wants or what will work, what will sell based on your own one or does someone like you and your business partner of the time, do you go out and survey what people? Mean? How do you work out what everybody's happy with? Apart from the fact that you know you think it's cool. How do you get around that that issue?
Speaker 2: Look, I think there's a lot of I mean, I design very intuitively, so.
Speaker 1: Based on what though, I mean, apart from your intuition, like.
Speaker 2: Research, based on what I feel, based on what I see, based on the reality of like where we live. Who are customer is, what their lifestyle is, what sells? I mean, I obviously I think fashion is about looking forward. I don't think it's looking too far back. But at the same time, your results are going to tell you what's working or not. So it's important to tap into your customer and understand what they want as well.
Speaker 1: How do you do that? How did you and your Mary Lou I think was your founder cover How did you which one of you did that?
Speaker 2: Did you we both did it? I mean I think like ultimately, I think when you start up, like you're creating something from the ground up. So it's about creating something that is very unique and your own thing and honest and not really looking too much around you. But actually it's really quite a personal thing when you're starting up, and you can do that to a point, and then when your business gets a certain size, it's like, okay, now this is like the game has changed here, don't there's not as much room for error. And so I mean, we have nine retail stores in Australia, so there's a lot of intel that comes through.
Speaker 1: That as in feedback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot. We've got very engaged customers that give us feedback, Like we have people emailing all the time, Oh can you bring back that pant from ten years ago? That my favorite? It's worn out. Now we get a lot of that. And then it's just crystal ball stuff. You know. I design a collection twelve months in advance, so I'm working on next winter. And so you just need to really tap into into intuition, read, read the market, understand you know what's going on with the economy as well. Like I think for us we're lucky. When the economy gets tough, people lean back into heritage brands. That they can trust. There's also the flip side of that, they're go into fast fashion. So I think fast fashion brands have never been is I think business is booming in Australia for fast, fast fashioned brands really yeah? Oh absolutely yeah yeah right now, absolutely yeah, because people don't have the disposable income.
Speaker 1: So fast fashion being something is fairly cheap. It's sort of you know, on theme.
Speaker 2: And they're good, some of them are really good. So yeah, I mean for us, we tap into a different customer and we have a very loyal customer and where our stores are positioned, we're accessible to that customer. So when the economy slumps, yeah, we do feel it, but often they come back to us because they know that they're going to buy that three ninety five pant and they're going to wear it to death, or the T shirt that they can go back to, So they often go back to brands I think they know and trust, and so it works for and against us.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to gether break, going to come straight back, but you just said something very interesting around brand, and I do want to talk about brand with you. You said the words no and trust, and I want to know whether you may be actually able to do sort of dig a bit deep into that for us. And my question, I would ask you, if I know you, do I trust you? In other words, if I'm really used to you, I'm familiar with you. Therefore I automatically give you my trust fairly or more rapidly more likely to give you my trust if I don't know you. In other words, I don't see your shops, and I don't see your advertising, I don't see your marketing, and I haven't bought from you before. It takes a bit of time to build up trust, but knowledge and trust seem to be linked to me for me, but I want to go to the break comes straight back. I'm back here with Debs Hams, and she's the founder of Basic, and we've talked about sort of how the business kicked off a lifetime ago, nearly a lifetime ago. And today you have nine outlets you mentioned, I presume still are you selling online as well? You can buy on line. Are you still distributing through various stores as well? Yes, so you know, and I'm sure there's a lot more stores today than a lot more retail stores today than we're around. You were distributing through eighten years ago. But if I might just ask you this question, because we haven't covered this off. We were talking about T shirts. How many product lines or whatever the word excuse I think you guys call them. What do you do now apart from T shirts?
Speaker 2: So the evolution of the brand from a product level, we started with the jersey, the T shirts. Then we had an opportunity to work with a Japanese denim supplier. And do you know much about jeans, Well, I have jeans, but so the Japanese denim is arguably the best in the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't know Japanese there was a thing. There's a thing called Japanese denim. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's made different looms in Japan. Yeah, very traditional looms. So they're narrow, more narrow than the ones that they use now for mass production. So you get more just more beautiful denim, more authentic dinner.
Speaker 1: I've never heard denim called beautiful before. Well authentic, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean I'm passionate about this stuff. And so we had this opportunity to work with this beautiful denim maker in a place called Kojima in Japan.
Speaker 1: How does an opportunity come about? Like so people were just go, oh my god, I never had an opportunit my life. Do you chase these things or your emails?
Speaker 2: We didn't. I think we just had really great connections with people and Japan. Well know, actually in Australia and this friend of ours who was a fabric supplier, had this and he was into Japanese fabrics in Italian fabrics, and he introduced us to a denim mill and factory, Codima, and so this is like a best spoke downer making factory. They had fourteen machinists. The it's like third generation. Like it's honestly, this place is like going back in time. It's like the most amazing place to visit. And so we started making denim out of Japan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just explain something to me. Sorry, just looking at it. SAMV. Just explained something to me. Please, Japanese down lake. So you just go back a few steps. So we're talking about denim's cotton, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So the cotton comes from Japan, or cotton comes from it where all cotton comes from? I don't even know where that is, but.
Speaker 2: Not Japan, but yeah, comes from a different place.
Speaker 1: Okay, So but what's Japanese in what is it so tidal or yes, blue or something? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's the weaving process. So they make them on a much narrower loom loom so yeah, and they often come with a selvage And what's that. It's the it's the side of the denom, which is it's hard to explain, but it's just the site. It's basically the end of the denom, which is, if you have a selvage denom, it's a lot more expensive. It's a lot more luxurious than a regular denom. It's not mass produced.
Speaker 1: And if I was wearing it, which I'm not, does it feel different or is it more a look?
Speaker 2: Does feel different? Yeah? And it's a look too, and.
Speaker 1: I think, what are we looking at? What are we talking about here in terms of feel and look?
Speaker 2: So it feels how do I It's really hard to describe because it's it's one of those things that until you actually put it on, I suppose it's like driving a Masara, you know, an a sorry, a really good luxury car. Was about to say Aston Martin because that's my favorite car, or.
Speaker 1: Kia.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing. And you don't know the way, but you know, you get behind the wheel, you don't really know. So you know, you put on a pair of jeens. You know it fits, the fits perfect. It looks amazing and it feels right, And I think.
Speaker 1: That's that's lighter. Is it lighter?
Speaker 2: No, not necessarily, it's it's probably softer. And it's the way it wears and washes out is and the washes that you can do on it, so the different washes you can do it.
Speaker 1: And the women, generally speaking, and some men, perhaps not all men, as you would say, know that Japanese denim is it in a category above all the others.
Speaker 2: Look probably a very small percentage of.
Speaker 1: People, right. It's a sort of a specialist.
Speaker 2: It's like a purest thing, like you're either denim purist or you're not, you know. And I grew up in the industry because my dad was in the industry in the seventies and eighties. Remember the days of AMCO.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I sure do jeans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, he was one of those.
Speaker 1: I remember the seventies. And I actually remember when surf Divans Ski opened their first door out where I was living, and and I was dying to get a pair of AMC jeans. Well that was from there, and my mum said, you've got to go on earn some money to buy them, because that's a pretty expensive for us. And I can't remember what they cost, but they were. I thought they were pretty expensive anyway, but everyone's everyone seemed like to me anyway as a kid rolling up everyone else's buying them felt that way. But I have a flair or they were fair and high our kids a high waisted floor were nice. That'll come back.
Speaker 2: Do I need to find a picture.
Speaker 1: Definitely. There's no phones there. There's no no phone cameras. At least there were. There was telephones, but they were sort of sitting on the little a little table in the in the hallway, and you sat down next to the phone to make all yes. So I know. Actually I diverted you from telling the story about because I got so fascinated by this thing called Japanese DNIM. But now we've established it as pretty special stuff. What happened with this Japanese DNIM introduction opportunity?
Speaker 2: So we created all these quite unique out there shapes, like our own signature between genes. Genes one in particular called the low slung.
Speaker 1: The low slung is that like down low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, low, yeah, and it's slung, you know, it's slung and a universal gene, which was a men's or a women's gene, so you know, like genderist clothing is now a thing, like you often go into a boutique and it's it's all together, and so we were doing that. Then we may this gene. So that became a bit of a staple for us, and all the right people were wearing it globally like I've still got I'll send you.
Speaker 1: And yeah.
Speaker 2: It was really successful to a point, and then it became not commercial anymore because we couldn't get the right margin to wholesale.
Speaker 1: It because it was expensive viewed by super expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we were so passionate about it, and you know, as a founder you would know this. You get emotionally connected to things and then you don't want to let go of them, and then it comes to a point where you just have to be like, Okay, this is no longer working for us, what are we going to do?
Speaker 1: Tell me about that. But the decision or that period, like when you had to say it's time to discard this particular product.
Speaker 2: I think it just got to a point where like, you just look at your margin, you look at your profitability, and you're just like, what the hell what are we doing? You know? And I worked out they were probably making no money out of it and possibly losing and it was stupid.
Speaker 1: So you can ask you a question to could you have at some stage said, look, we'll just keep selling this as a lost leader, just to get people in because you know they might buy the jeans because they're great. And we did that. Yeah, and then I buy a two shirt where I make my money. Yeah, okay. Why did you then say I'm not going to do it anymore?
Speaker 2: Because we were just missing an opportunity because we were very good at making denim and people wanted it and our wholesale accounts wanted it. So we are about eighteen months ago, moved it back to Australia and we've got an amazing factory in Australia. We still buy the Japanese organic denim, and the Janes are as good, if not better, So.
Speaker 1: Still the same denim, just you're making here whereas before you're making him in Japan. And I mean by the time you got it here it was too expensive. Yeah, okay, so you still sell pants the jeans made out of Japanese dinner manufactured here in Australia. Yeah, okay, and so that actually was so was really I can understand why then you decided to run it as a lost leader because you can make the same proactive for cheap and make more money and you can still have the product. So I get it. That makes sense. Yeah, no brainer, totally no brainer. But eighty months ago, so it took you like fifteen years to make the decision or.
Speaker 2: Yeah it too, because I mean we were making money and then it got to a point where it was just it just got more and more expensive and it just yeah, we just needed to make some calls.
Speaker 1: So how many? So you've got jeans, you got t shirts? Obviously, what are the things you're doing now?
Speaker 2: So we do tailoring, like it's really beautiful tailoring.
Speaker 1: You made to measure sort of thing, not.
Speaker 2: Made to measure, but like I traveled to Italy twice a year and going to the fabric mills and develop bricks out of Florence and Milan and then design like a full tailoring line. We do ready to wear, which is just everything like we do pants, jackets, knitwear, shirting, We do everything now we do accessories, and I think the thing about me is I'm super particular about fabrication and quality, and it's probably to my own detriment in a way, because I think how business probably could have been more successful and more profitable if I was.
Speaker 1: A little more chilled. Well not yeah, maybe when it comes to the I just yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm super fastidious about quality, and it probably is to my own detriment. But on the flip side of that, maybe that's what's built our brand because the quality of our fabric means that everything lasts and it is more beautiful and you can see the difference. So yeah, we do it where like we do beautiful Kashmi collection, we do Dana, and we do shirting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Everything.
Speaker 1: Now, So if we could just talk about your brand for a second. So in terms of what your brand stands for, I was obviously clothing, but I want to get to the experience, So the experience someone would associate with your brand. What do you think the experience is that someone associates with your brand as opposed to the utility I've got a dress or I got a pair of jeans, or whatever the case may be. And it's Japanese danim What is the experience that people would associate with the brand like yours. How do they feel?
Speaker 2: I think they just feel really good in it. I think they feel good. I think it's easy for them to wear. It makes sense with their lifestyle, It fits into their lifestyle, and they feel safe with it because they know that, you know, they're going to wear it. And I think that's the big thing for me designing clothing, because there is waste, and you know, we are sort of leaving a footprint on the planet, but at least we have to wear clothes. So at least if I'm designing things that people are going to wear and wear and wear and wear and not by a dress that is one like once a year or once, that for me feels good and I think for a customer as well, I think that's what they're looking for with our brand.
Speaker 1: And your brand is pronounced basic, but it's not spelled basic. Well, it is spell basic, but it's not spelt the basic way basic, So what's the thinking behind spelling and be a doabless?
Speaker 2: Okay, So that was a decision based on trademarking, and when that was it was actually difficult to choose a name we'd already designed the collection. It was the name, which was the hardest thing, and we I don't know how we came up with it, but we did. And then we had to go through the trademarking process to make sure that we could sell it in the US, sell it in Europe that the brand had the name hadn't already been used. And that was a real process actually, and it's taken years and you have to renew.
Speaker 1: It and it's it's expensive, too.
Speaker 2: Super expensive, you get you know, there was one point where we had so many ripoff versions of our brand coming out of China, people using our logo, people spelling it with one s BA SIK with a dot, like I mean, I just used to have It was almost like I had a spies on the ground, Like people just sending me stuff all the time. And it was like I used to get really annoyed with it, and then it was just like, you know, what can you do. You're not going to fight every every brand that pops up. It doesn't happen that much anymore, so Touch would so well.
Speaker 1: They used to say there was an old saying that the greatest form of admiration is emulation, and you know, if you're doing well and you're admired, someone will try to do the same thing. I do remember also because when I was still working in the law firm, we had a lot of rag trade clients, and I remember quite often they would go overseas to Milan or something like that, one of those sort of places, sometimes Asia, and they would bring they're gone by a whole lot of stuff, clothing, and they'll bring it back and they when they came through customs. I remember because I came back with the client one time and he had a bag full of stuff. He'd been to one of these shows whatever, but everything was cut so that you couldn't wear it, so you didn't have to pay customers studio. But what they do is they take the things and they would copy them. They would say, well, this is the latest thing going on.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's standards all the time.
Speaker 1: So that would happen, so people would see your basic stuff and the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can't like, I mean, we've done this pant that we cannot keep on the shelves. At the moment. That has basically revived our business because there was one point, you know, after the GSC that was a nightmare, and then we had COVID and everyone pivoted to casual clothing. So we did really well during COVID because everyone was working from home wearing like elevated basics. And then every other brand decided to do that concept, so then the whole market was flooded with it, so we had a pretty tough time coming out of COVID. Anyway, We've designed this new pant. Some customers have like fourteen pairs of them in different colors. I'm not kidding like it's crazy anyway. Kmart's done a version of it, and you just I mean, I don't get hung up about it anymore.
Speaker 1: But it's just part of being successful.
Speaker 2: It's fine, I'm cool with it.
Speaker 1: Weren't doing it that probably may indicate you that you're not doing anything right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, I know, Like I think, as you gain experience, you learn what to where to put your energy, don't you. And it's not into that kind of stuff anymof.
Speaker 1: Try not to try to chill out a little bit because you can't be worried about that sort of stuff all the time. But it's also about it can you once step ahead of everybody exactly and sticking by your own brand and your own brand values, the values of your brand, so you know you've done a great job at that. I do want to quickly ask you about the the intellectual property registration of your trademark? Has that? Nothing technical? But has that? Do you think that's worth the payoff? Is there a payoff on that? Because it is expensive? Is an exciting to get a.
Speaker 2: Trademarktly worth the payoff? I mean you have to invest in that from the start. I mean I've worked for brands that had big intellectual property cases in the past. You have to do that. You have to get things right from the start. You have to invest, Like we invested in a CFO in our first two years of.
Speaker 1: Business, someone to run your numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she got paid ten times as much as us didn't pay ourselves, but she was and she's still with us today. And you have to invest in the right areas. And that's something that we've always done and it saves problems down the track, I think, like big problems that you don't want to be dealing with. Like it's very hard to change your name after like five years of being successful in business. I mean that is just a headache.
Speaker 1: You don't want Well, that's true, and because you've got to deal with your or your distribution points just about everybody. If you no longer in business with your original co founder, are you able to talk that? I mean, it happened.
Speaker 2: Oh I was wondering if you're going to ask me that. Look, I think partnerships come to a natural end. And lou and I did really really well together for eighteen years or seventeen years to get the brand to where we did, but you know, she wanted to do other things and.
Speaker 1: Within your business, I mean, do you just sort of say I don't want to do that, I'll buy you out or how does it all work? How does a partner exit when you've been there together for seven eggs?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like a divorce.
Speaker 1: It must be like a divorce.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a lot, you know. I'm I'm not going to talk too much about it, but yeah, it was. It was difficult, and the company's reset now and we're really in a good position. So basic two point zero, it's good.
Speaker 1: Do do you? But do you miss because a lot of when they're starting up, they like a lot of people talk about having co found it because it's comforting that have someone you can cry on each other's shoulder, or you can sort of both bitch to each other about how difficult a supplier is or whatever. That that comfort thing. Does it get to a certain point when you no longer need that sort of thing because you know you're success for you've been at it for a long time, You're not as young anymore, You're you're less susceptible to perhaps you know you're not going to fail, you know, because you've already succeeded. Do you does that co founder relationship evolve into something totally different?
Speaker 2: I think people you know you evolved, don't you as a human being? And you you've either come together or you go apart, grow apart. And I think you know, alignment is key, particularly in leadership positions, having alignment we we really need, Like I have a great alignment with our seeing my CEO, he's been with me for fourteen years. He's amazing, he teaches me so much, He's built this beautiful culture in our company. He's hard, but he's soft at the same time. And I think it's really important to have that alignment and that same vision, particularly as your brand gets to a certain your business gets to a certain stage, and it's critical then to get to that next point, like critical for us, like we've we've for three years we've had the same turnover, we have not we've been stumbling at the same sort of stumbling blocks, and so now it's like our time to get to that next point. And I think that's the hardest part. You know, it's like getting from a certain turnover to the next, Like how do you do that in a market that is so volatile? Like you think about what's happening with the global economy, and you know, fashion is some thing that is switched on and off based on what's happening with the economy. And I think for us supply chain tariffs, like there's just so much instability in the world and lots of things that are out of your control.
Speaker 1: So sure, what are you doing something out of your control? How do you approach it?
Speaker 2: I think you make decisions on things you can control. So for us, we had quite a strong international business pre COVID, so we were in stores like Bergdorf Goodman in New York. We had a really great business and COVID hit and then it was just like no shipping. We don't want to take orders we're not paying you for I mean, we just put our business was at risk, you know, and so we made a decision at that point, Okay, we're closing down international. We can control our own destiny by having bricks and waterer stores, our own online. So we just pulled everything back into local and that's been our strategy. And then it's just understanding like how much growth can we have in this market and where does the growth come from next. I think, you know, online is a huge thing that you can control because of the the money that you can spend on marketing, so you can switch that on and off. It's different to bricks and mortar, where you're investing in you know, rents inventory, Like it's to open a store, like a fit out. You know, you can't do a fit out for undred million dollars. Wow, you cannot. Like you can, but it's not going to it's not going to look to the level that you want it to look. So, I mean, you know there's things you can control. We can control our supply chain, you know. So it's looking at things like that, it's looking at your margin, it's looking at your profitability. We can control our well, our expenses to a point. Yeah, so there are those things. I can't control how many stores are going to close down next week. I can't control my wholesale business. Like I can create great relationships, I can create create great products that sell, I can have great marketing, and I can create brand brand demand. But I can't control anything else. So that's the stuff that we focus on.
Speaker 1: And so just so what you're saying though, and I think I think what you're saying is, don't focus on those things you can't control. Actually actually identify those things you can control and put your time and iff into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And it's like a four prong approach. You know, it's like we're looking at profitability, we're looking at margin, we're looking at product mix, we're looking at people. Having people in the right roles doing the right things like that is key. Like there's no point in having this great sort of st to do around people if you don't have the best talent, and if that you don't have the right leadership and the right energy in the business. And and that's one thing for me that I work really hard on personally, like bringing the right energy into the business. I do a lot of work personally on that. I'm in the gym really early, three or four days a week. I meditate, I just do all that textbook stuff. I swim every day. I because leadership is key and people want to come to work and be inspired and have a good time as well, you know, like you've got to enjoy the journey.
Speaker 1: And I think the best version of yours TLF.
Speaker 2: I really do. And I take that pretty seriously. And I'm like a human and I'm I've got all sorts of like flaws, I really do. But I'm super close to my team and that I think is key, like always checking in making sure they're okay. Like I don't work as a boss so much. I work beside them. I sit next to them, and we work together.
Speaker 1: But that's a decision you made as the boss to yeah, yeah, I'm going to I got one final question for you, if you don't mind, one final question for you. Would you think is it fair to say that to reach the success that you have enjoyed in the basic brand and all the stuff that you do, and all the staff you employ, and all the places you have as outlets, and all the supplies and distributeds that you use, and the success of the brand and all the other stuff, the ip et cetera in selecial property. Is it fair to say that no point trying to do these things unless you're prepared for it to be all encompassing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Absolutely, it's like all or nothing. And that's the thing. There's a lot of sacrifice. But I'm fortunate to do something I love, and without sounding like a cliche, I'm really grateful for that. And I'm surrounded by the most incredible people, like internally externally.
Speaker 1: So but is that a mindset? You have to put your mind set, your mind in that position to acknowledge that you are there are things there that you should be grateful for. In other words, you have to position yourself as that person.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because there's so many things every day that can get on top of you. Yeah, and the motivation, the getting up that you know, I mean, it's a long time, it's a marathon. Having a business, like eighteen years goes like that, but it feels like a long time. And I always feel like I've just started. I always feel like I'm not good enough.
Speaker 1: I have to do better, and sometimes we've got to start again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's what it feels like. Now like the basic two point zero, I am starting again building the business from the ground up, and I'm pretty flattened, I must say, like I'm tired. But I think it's the mindset. It's just like positive, positive, positive, just focusing on the good and not overthinking, just getting up and doing it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think as your point to you can't overthink it because there's too many possibilities. You just can be really simple. No, I get up, it's this time, I do blah blah blah blah, I get a gym, whatever the case may be, and I go to work and I'll be my best, happiest self based on the day. And I perform as well as I can, and I look after my people and I do what I can. Yeah, but it's all encompassing. There's no shortcuts.
Speaker 2: There's no shortcuts. And I really when people ask me about you know, what would you say to any person that's going to start their own label? And I feel part of me feel sorry for them because it's like hard, it's hard, and.
Speaker 1: It's harder you ever expected.
Speaker 2: It's way harder now than it was then. Like it's complicated and you have to be in it for the long haul. Like it's not glamorous, it's not fun. It is fun. I mean I get to do great things. I get to travel, like do something I love. But it's a grind. And you know, I'm designing four collections a year every three months. I'm on a treadmill of like one hundred and fifty pieces every three months of design. And you've got deadlines and you're not sitting under a tree getting inspiration. You're in an office with deadlines, having meetings all day, trying to come up with creative ideas, you know what I mean. So it's a grind. However, I think, yeah, keeping it simple, being grateful and enjoying the process and doing good work. That's what you need to do, good work that you're proud of.
Speaker 1: And stick to your and it's also about sticking to your original theme. Don't lose sight of what the hell you're doing. You're trying to provide clothing, which is blah blah blah blah what you explained before, simple, comfortable, cool, whatever your words are. You just don't lose sight of what you're doing, because that's important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's really easy to do. I think losing sight of what you're doing.
Speaker 1: So Debra Sam's co founder now the only founder of Basic Clothing. Way, is that probably the best way to describe it. Thanks very much. That was actually very insightful. Pardon me not know much about your industry, but you've guided me through. You've taken me through. But like your business, like every other business, apart from the factor in the clothing game. You know, it's the theme, similar sort of theme for a founder. You know, stuff like some of the things that happened to you have happened to me, and you know a lot of that stuff resonated with me when you were talking to me about it, and I really appreciate your honesty. Good luck to hear.
Speaker 2: Thank you,