Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doct Esmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. Welcome to this week's mini motivation episode. These are shorter, more targeted episodes where we tackle one challenge head on it in a very practical way. So today we're diving into some of the most effective strategies to help you drink less alcohol. Whether you're looking to cut back for your health, your energy, your sleep quality, or simply just because alcohol has become more of a habit than a choice. Then this episode is for you. Now, the goal with this episode it isn't perfection. It's not about giving up alcohol forever. It's more about understanding why we drink, what makes change easier, and the small strategies that can make a surprisingly big difference. So I recently discussed these strategies with Susanna Myerson, who is my sister in law and now is seven years sober. Wow, what an achievement. Susanna is an executive producer based in Sydney and now runs The Sober Curious Reset, which is a four week guided online program for women questioning their relationship with alcohol. So it's not about needing a label or waiting until you've hit that qt am moment. It's really more of a peer led space where women can get honest, feel less alone, get curious and really explore what's going on underneath. Because, as Susannah discovered, giving up alcohol wasn't the end of her story, it was actually the beginning. So here's what Susanna has to say about top tips for drinking less so I've got a few friends who have decided to give up alcohol for the month, and I am going to as well. You've inspired me, sus. I would just love some tips. Firstly, like, what are your practical tips for actually giving up alcohol?
Speaker 2: Well, I think two things that generally helped me. The first is replace the ritual. So after dinner, what I used to do is I'd jump in the bath, put my PJS on and go straight to bit. Just get just not yourn so even you know, just get your head on the pillow, go watch a documentary or whatever it is, but remove the noise and the temptation before it even has a chance to show up. I think that that helped. And secondly, join something that gets you out of your comfort zone, so a community run club, a swim club, a polities class, and when you get there actually talk to people, introduce yourself, tell your story, listen to theirs. The connection you build, even with strangers is more powerful than you think.
Speaker 1: Because you got into the four forty club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the four forty run Club. And actually it's a ten year anniversary tomorrow, So I'll be going tomorrow at five am down to Bronte and running ten laps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like, if you've got to get up at four forty in the morning, you are not wanting to be drinking the night before, I can imagine.
Speaker 2: And that actually helped me my early sobriety days, knowing I had to get up at that time on a Saturday morning. I'm not going to go out on a Friday night.
Speaker 1: I used to do a really hard, like two and a half hour session on a Saturday morning, and so my friends and I that used to do this, we dubbed Friday tidy Friday, and we'd say, we don't commit, we have to have a tidy Friday because we can't turn up hungover to our hard workout on a Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that idea. So it's like, okay, well, if we are going to stop for the month, is there something we can do. When you're saying if it's got some kind of a social element to it and even connecting with strangers, why do you think that is an important part.
Speaker 2: Of it, because I just think connection and community is so important. It definitely helped me so much in the early days. It's so funny you say hello to a stranger, you start chatting, even down at the four forty there's a lot of people down there that have quit drinking, and you just start hearing their story and listening, and then you tell yours. And then the next week you see them down there again and you have a coffee or whatever, and it's just like you don't feel alone in what you're doing. Plus you've you being healthy, you're getting out. It's movement, and I think, yeah, there's just something around the community and the connection that really helps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really love that. And you know, thinking of the alternative like a massive sleep in walking around your house, you know, whether it's an empty house or whether you're not feeling connected to the people in your house and feeling a bit sorry for yourself and feeling a bit sluggish versus you know, bouncing back at seven am with a coffee in your hand and you've just, you know what, a different chalk and cheese the best feeling. Yeah. I want to circle back to the other tip you gave, which was about essentially kind of changing the ritual around and how powerful that is as well. I think that I know, for me, one of my biggest issues has been like sugar and desserts, and I've spoken quite a bit on this podcast about how hard it was for me to give up that habit, and you're so right, similar to your story about having your bath going straight to bed, I had to change my whole nighttime ritual. I could not sit on the couch because I would have to I was so trained to sit on the couch and eat that I needed to remove from that situation. I've heard some people do things like, for example, a different approach, which is, oh, yeah, you still get the wine glass or the crystal you know, the lovely like crystal glass, heavy glass that sits in the cabinet. You know, the men have the whiskey, and you still get those, but then you create a mocktail or a non alcoholic treat drink. What's your thoughts on that as a strategy.
Speaker 2: I guess it just depends at what level you are. That could be you know, a bit of a temptation. If it's you know, it looks like you know, you're having an alcoholic drink, but it's whatever works. You know, if that's what works for you, go for it. I know, for instance, some people, because you are giving up alcohol, you are still craving that sugar. So maybe it's having a scoop of Yoshi ice cream instead, even though it's still not one hundred percent healthy at least, it's just replacing it with something and it's better than the alcohol.
Speaker 1: And I guess for those that are read sent to give up alcohol because they're losing that, you know, the one thing I look forward to at the end of every day. Like that was my big argument about sugar. I was just like, are you serious, Like the one thing that I really look forward to, You're going to take that away from me. I guess your approach of well, replace it with something you know that's also equally nourishing. You know, you could argue as a nutritionist whether it is or not, But like for me, that's why a bath and bath salts and a candle and aromatherapy and all of that suddenly became this nourishing replacement which worked for me. So I love that idea of like, you're not just removing that one thing you look forward to, You're actually trying to find an alternative that works for you. Yeah, exactly, why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? We've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctasmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. In your Sober Curious program, I know you go a whole lot deeper than simply the habit of giving up alcohol. Can you give us one example of how we might use this as an opportunity to also go a little bit deeper and to learn more about ourselves.
Speaker 2: Sure, so most women come into the reset thinking it is all about alcohol, but by week three we're talking more deeply than that. So Week three is called radical honesty, and the question that we sit with is who are you underneath all the noise? Not who your kids need to be, or who your partner needs you to be, not who you are at work, not the mask you're wearing, just you And when was the last time you asked yourself that? And doing that work in a group with the other women who are asking themselves the same question is honestly one of the most powerful things I've witnessed. There's something that happens in that room when you really dig deep and answer that question yourself.
Speaker 1: That's a really, really hard question. I don't know when you asked that, and I was like, who am I.
Speaker 2: All these masks you're wearing? Who are you underneath?
Speaker 1: I have no fricking idea. I think I've forgotten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I recommend that you sit down and you journal that for some time and really think about it, because I asked myself that on a retreat and Byron, that was the question that was asked to me is what is the mask you've been wearing and what has it cost you? And that's when I realized that the mask that I was wearing, that it cost me a lot because the mask I was wearing when I was drinking cost me everything. And then I realized the mask I was wearing when I was sober cost me being fun, cost me being sociable, And I realized who am I without a mask? I'm Susannah and I do not need to be defined by alcohol at all. And it's such a powerful question.
Speaker 1: Do you think that someone who is using alcohol is either a coping mechanism or a way to numb some of the pain in their life? Do you think that for those people alcohol has made it a lot harder for them to answer that question of who am I underneath all of this?
Speaker 2: Oh, because that's where I was, you know, That's exactly where I was. You know, I wasn't asking myself those questions until I got sober. So that's why I'm asking these questions in this group. Yeah, because it's it's so powerful and so much comes out of it.
Speaker 1: For those of us that use alcohol as a way to manage stress or to you know, numb some of the pain that we might be feeling, it might seem daunting to have that taken away. What are some of the other tools that we can use for the month to better manage our stress and our overwhelm. If we're not reaching for that gin and tonic at the end of the day, what are we going to do to just have that reset at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: I just think there's so much available now, like more than there used to be. You know, you've got bath houses, you've got infrared sornets, you've got ice bas sound healing meditations, you can do from the comfort of your own home. You know. It's it's trying to find what regulates your nervous system, not what numbs it. And honestly, if you just do some research, you'll find some amazing things. So that's what I did.
Speaker 1: I love that differentiator between numbing versus regulating your nervous system, like we need to learn how to better regulate our nervous system. I love that. Yeah, oh my gosh, I need that right now. Well, look, SU's finally. For a woman listening who feels really daunted at the thought of giving up alcohol for a whole month, what words of wisdom would you have for her?
Speaker 2: I'd reframe it completely. You're not taking away something from your life. You're running an experiment. It's just thirty one days and at the end of it, ask yourself, how's my sleep, how's my energy, how's my relationships? And what's actually changed? Because when you stop thinking about what you're giving up and start getting curious about what you might gain, the whole thing becomes less daunting and a lot more interesting.
Speaker 1: Oh, Sue's that's just so powerful. And look, I really recommend it. If you're listening to this episode and you are really on the fence and thinking about giving up alcohol for a month, please do check out Susan's Sober Curious four week online program because it just sounds like it's the support and that we need, and also that we're going to get so much more out of it than just stopping alcohol for a month. Sus thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having me meal Zi. I love you, Love you.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dottyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot Health or check out the show notes for more