Speaker 1: Apod Shape Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mum Podcast? School's back. School is back, and so Gracie's first year of high school. So you had that whole, you know, feelings. I'm sure you'll talk about it in another episode. But off she goes, which is a whole new chapter high school. Whereas I had a moment of going, Wow, this is year eleven for us. This is their last full year because next year is pretty much a half a year or a bit longer.
Speaker 2: You've got all of like the formals and like it takes up, and then they've got their exams, so there's not a huge amount for them for next year. So you're under I would say you're under a like be just on a year to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a big year because they've got tafe, they're doing a hospitality course, they've got semi formal. I've already paid the deposit for schoolies.
Speaker 2: Wow, what they're going to gold cost? Aren't they.
Speaker 1: Love at you?
Speaker 2: Tusk?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: God? Where are they staying?
Speaker 1: Surfers a regional deposits paid. Holly didn't want to go, Amelia did so I said, if we paid the deposit, you can sell that to someone if you get closer to it and you don't want to go, Please don't want to go. Am I about mum for being too efficient?
Speaker 2: Look, I can't say that I'm in this category. I don't think that I been in this so I don't even know where this is going.
Speaker 1: This is something that happened this morning. It really frustrated me because I feel like as mums, I know you're talking about not being very organized. And yes I did go and get the school books on the weekend before going back to school as opposed to November when they send the book list home. So I definitely am that person. But I do think there is an element of all mums and their organization skills. We've talked previously about feeling like the kids pas because we're organizing their lives all the time. And this was a great example this morning of things going to shit because I wasn't on top of it. Now. Jay had booked Amelia at a driving lesson, her first driving lesson.
Speaker 2: It's so exciting we're just talking about it. I was like, oh my god, mind won't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am having a cruisy old morning. I've got loads done, washing's all done and put away emails are all done, like everything's done. However, I'm still home. I haven't had a shower yet. Amelia is in bed still. The doorbell rings and I was like, you is it the door? You're going to be an Amazon delivery of something that we've forgotten about. Get to the door. There's the guy for the driving lesson. I was like, oh shit, I just said this moment, I'm looking at him going, oh, that's right, a driving lesson, and he went yeah for Amelia. I went, oh, Amelia, okay, give you two secs. I've gone running in. I'm like super stressed from a chilled morning, very productive, got so much done, to all of a sudden feeling stressed. I've gone up. I went to the desk to go a driving lesson. She's like, what fast a sleep? And then it was just that moment of having no control over the slow speech she's going and knowing that I'm the only one now taking on the stress of the fact that this poor guy stood on the door step and we're taking ages. So I'm gone, okay. I took a different approach. I went, what can I do to help you? What do you need? And she's like wandered into the bathroom, no like urgency whatsoever, brushing it. I'm like, don't worry about your teeth, And then I have a moment of going, yeah, do worry about your teeth next to someone in the car of morning Breath. But she's just going so slowly and I'm so stressed, And in that moment, my first thing to do is how can I attack Jay for this situation which I would have been on top of had I organized it. So he's booked the driving lesson, yeah, probably told us all like a week or two weeks ago when he booked it, but then no reminder, no reminder. This is the thing Rache with me, Am I too efficient? Is this my problem? Because the first thing was this is your fault? Ba, why don't you tell anyone? And he's like, oh, of course it's my fault. I was like, yes, it is your fault. When I calm down, I was like, is this my fault? Because I don't work that way? Maybe I'm too efficient? Ah right, Because what I will do is I will book something in go straight in my calendar, and then I remind everyone. Even if there's a time where Jane is to pick the girls up from school and take them to an appointment or something going on. I'll even say that day, Hey, don't forget you're picking the girls up the save they've got this at blah blah time. The thing that's frustrated me isn't that he's done that that way, but it's that I don't do it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get where you're coming from. My question would be that what happens if you did it the other way and wasn't efficient, how many more predicaments would you be in like this morning? So if you didn't do it, and then say, let's say you weren't overly efficient like that and you didn't add things into your calendar, how many more times would you come up against oh mate, standing out the door knock block for our own appointment? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Like oh would everybody else step up and be responsible for saying once you've got this at this time and everyone else just putting it in their own calendar?
Speaker 2: Well, this is the thing that I'm like just balancing now as well with Gracie going off to high school, right, I operate like you. I go, okay, well, if that's locked in now, I'm quite efficient when it comes to that. Now I've got a child going off to high school. I've got another like good friend of mine whose daughter's going there as well, and she's like, well, let's share the car pulling. I'm like, great idea. She has then generated a calendar for the four of us, so her daughter, Gracie, myself, and her I couldn't even work out how to open the calendar. I couldn't even find the far I couldn't find what she was telling me to do. I was on GBT. I'm going what I deleted two calendarscidentally because I was obviously special and could do that part. But this is like another level of efficient, and I sort of looked at that and went, oh, wow, I really am letting the team down because I'm only this efficient where she's like managing calendars between when the kids are at dad's and then at hers, and then now she's had another calendar with this mum that's obviously got no idea what she's doing, but at the same time, she's like that quick and that efficient. I had a look at that and was like, wow, I've got to step up my game, But at the same time had that little part of me going, well, no, Gracie needs to step up a little bit to be able to understand how to read a calendar, but also then be accountable to a calendar a little bit more, because my girls are like, what this year ten and twelve. They're not efficient to a calendar. They don't look to a calendar, that don't refer back to a calendar. They just refer back to mum.
Speaker 1: Maybe you and Gracie could go on some sort of to learn calendar together.
Speaker 2: The day that this happened, I was so stressed. I was like, my whole life shut down, Katie. I had deleted all my calendars, so every calendar entry and my phone.
Speaker 1: I'm not just by trying to open up this new one.
Speaker 2: Just by trying to find the new one I deleted. I thought, oh, look I'm going to be efficient. I'm going to delete all these Look at these these are all double ups. No they're not, dickhead, don't delete them. Because then when I went back, everything including birthdays for the next like however, like all the birthdays everything, and do you know what I did? I froze. It was like my whole life had ended right there. Why because my calendar's gone. I don't know what I'm doing in two days. Like I literally didn't know what I was doing in two days. I was like, oh, I can't do anything.
Speaker 1: I look at my calendar and I go, why have I got so many calendars? I need to get rid of some of these calendars. But I'm not going to now. I don't because obviously we're probably putting stuff into all the different calendars and not knowing where it's going.
Speaker 2: This was me. I was like, what home and work? And then one that just says calendar, and then another. I thought, surely I can just clear some of those out. This is with my eye cloud, this is with my Gmail, this is surely they're all just double ups.
Speaker 1: No they're not.
Speaker 2: They just take out your whole calendar.
Speaker 1: Start with so many calendars. Why don't we just have one calendar? Oh sure, I don't put in because right now that's like the calendar.
Speaker 2: It's the color coding, so color codes, so that the red calendar for me from my efficient friend, the calendar for the four of us, so that's usually to do with school drop off or pick up and the roster that comes with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when I look at my calendars, where's calendar? But I look at my calendar. Go to calendar, then the middle like some of them beige, some purple, some screen, some yellow.
Speaker 2: Color code your life. Basically, it's color coding your calendars. So purple might be work, blue might be personal, red might be school drop off. Yeah Australian any, don't delete any. And I'm telling you, even chat GBT couldn't get me out of this pickle. I had to get Breed to come over and get me out of pickle. She calls. She's so smart and younger and knows everything about what's going on. So she sat there and was like, now do this, now do this. Go to here and you can restore all thessakes, particularly sot all back, and now you've got a million calendars again. Yeah, I'm just gonna stay with the mess. Just stay in the mess of my calendars. Because when I couldn't see the forecast for the next week, I was like, oh, I'm going to stop living.
Speaker 1: I'll just go to bed.