Speaker 1: Welcome back to another week of the podcast. We're about to be joined by Matthew live from Washington, DC, going to tell us all about the UFC. Some of his funny interactions over there are also going to get some We're going to preview State of Origin Game two at the MCG. What a game. It's going to be Queensland, New South Wales Queensland. We saw how Demona they were in game one for sixty minutes, but news Wals ended up getting the win after the Calum Pong has sand off so and some shocking team selection that has got a lot of backlash that we're going to talk about ask Matthew's opinion for but stay tuned this week. Also when this comes out and with our review on Wednesday postmatch, there's a new batch of mate versus mate hats up Queensland and New South Wales. Vena wants to head to the Instagram the link trees in the bio, go and get yourself one in time for game three whatever state that you follow. But nonetheless let's get into Matthew who's joining us right now, and we're joined by the Fella right now, the one and only Maddie John's live from Washington made. How how are things over there?
Speaker 2: Buddy? They're good, They're good. We are. Yeah, we've got press conference coming up a little later. Got to go in there and with all the fighters and whatnot. So but yeah, things things are going really good. Plenty going on.
Speaker 1: How do you get along with the fight? Do the fighters and like the UFC people, do they do they accept you?
Speaker 2: Accept me? Which way?
Speaker 1: Like I said, do they Obviously you go into a rugby league press conference, you're very well respected, but you're going into a place where they don't know rugby league. How do they How do they take to you?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it gives you an insight into what it would be being just journalists, you know, like a neutral you're going there and make you just basically go in there coop and just got a job to do, you know. And so yeah, like you know, I must say the fighters are really really good. I mean there's a lot to learn about the Like with the UFC, I know that what we got at the moment with the NRL, we've got that new rights still going on, you know, talk about four bon dollar deal and people need you know, like the broadcasters need needs stuff for that four billion dollars and the UFC is the best example. And you know, I know we're going to talk a second about Volcan you know being going around Washington with Alex Volkanowski. Mate, he gets mobbed everywhere he goes. And I'm talking about I'm not talking about middle aged man and bloke and jungblos your age. I'm talking about school kids. Everyone just mobs him. It is UFC has gone from being an outliers sport, you know, five ten years ago, to a mainstream sport, and it's getting bigger and bigger and bigger. And I remember like there was like a nine year old girl rushed up and was like so excited, and I said, I said, like, how do you know had in know Alex? And she goes, Oh, my dad loves the UFC and me and my brothers sit and watch it as well. And that is the tale of the tape. I mean, this is the next generation coming through which view that don't look at the UFCS, as I said before, a sort of niche sport. It's you know, they viewed as a main street, mainstream sport. It is just so big over here, and Volt's a big deal in Australia. Right, he's a big star in Australia. Over here he's much much bigger.
Speaker 3: Hey, Matthews, anything particularly surprised you about Washington? One about Washington, but also around the UFC you stamping their mark for the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Nation.
Speaker 2: Washington. Firstly, I've had no want or desire ever to come to Washington. But coming here, it's a really good city. It's a really contained city, a very easy city to get around. It's really good, I must say. At the moment is so hot, like today it was nearly forty degrees so that's going to be a factor coming it come Yeah, yeah, it was. It's been incredibly hot today and so that's going to be a big factor on fight day, you know, or fight night. I mean what it is at this time of the year, Like when you boys were young fellows in England, that doesn't get dark till eleven o'clock at night in England in the middle of summer. Over here, it's similar, but at the moment it doesn't get dark till like nine pm. And so fight night, you know, for a lot of the fighters, you know, it's going to be up around thirty degrees, so that's going to be a big factor. But the city, Jack, it's a really really good city, a lot of really good people. Yeah, I've really enjoyed it. It's been great.
Speaker 1: What's runners through the tour because we've seen a lot of stuff on socials, the White House. We saw the visual of the stadium at the front with the big claw sort of shelter over the top of the ring. But did you get a tour of the White House itself? Was it sick?
Speaker 2: Just outside the White House? Couldn't go into the Oval office and that. But we're all around the grounds of the White House, strolling around the White House, and you know, of course the venue I mean basically on the main on the main law and of the White House now has been termed into the USC Stadium, and so it's man, it's it's crazy. It's it's so impressive. But it was interesting on the media day that we went there, you know, roll and honestly it was bizarre. It was like the world's media were there and there were people that I was looking at, like some of the world's best writers, a fellow called John Ronson, who would mean nothing to a lot of people, but right. John Rosson is one of the world's best authors. He wrote a couple of books, like one of which men who's stare at goa to George Clintety tend to emerge. Yes, and so all these people are there, and what you're gonna understand is the world's media are there for for for the fight, yes, but for different reasons. Probably half the people there purely for the fight and the excitement and really positive, and the other half were there, or probably another quarter was there under just trying to basically work out is this the right? Is this right to have this usc event on the lawn of the White House and this iconic location, And then the other quarter are there, probably to engage, probably to poop Pio to a certain extent. I mean New York Times sobers. I got cornered by a New York Times journalist, you know, and he just said to me, he heard my accent, said to You're Australian. I said, yeah, he guys, can I ask some questions? Yeah? Yeah, And he said basically he got to He asked me a couple of Dorothy Dixon's and then he got to the question he wanted, and he said, I just think it's really trying to think of a word. He said, I think it's quite tacky, and I think it's quite grotesque to have this event on the lawn of the White House, like you know, you think about, you know, the place of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and what not. Said what do you think about that? My reply to him was simply this. I said, Hey, brother, it ain't my fucking country and ain't my fucking president. I'm just here for the fight and a good time, and that's that's what I'm there for. And I never thought he would quote me word by word, but today in the New York Times that I did.
Speaker 1: I did see that. Yeah, I did say that, and I love that. It said a reporter from Australia like, you're an accredited reporter, which are obviously not. But because you've done you've had interviews with Dana White before so and we actually Jack sent a message to the k Ruse brothers, who are big on social media. They're overdoing some stuff with Ko as well. I actually used to play with Nick in SG ball and Manly and his dad, Richie, cause was the coach. We talk about Richie quite a lot. Yeah, but they said, They said, a lot of people come over here and they're a little intimidated by it and whatnot. You know, they won't ask two edgy questions. But I think everyone saw the question you asked Dana White. They said, it's good your old man just sort of got over there, and because you know, he's a bit older, and he didn't really he doesn't really care what anyone thinks. He just went in hot. And you know, you asked a little running with Dana White, saying that you know, you've come a long way and don't fuck it up. Was there any backlash from that or not?
Speaker 2: Now? Well, I got there and he was standing there, and you're right, everyone's really nervous, because everyone's really nervous standing there because I mean, he's there for the reason, and you know, and press conferences, you're on show. You know, it's very easy for a person to put you on show. But as I said before, at this sort of age, I being embarrassed doesn't worry me any way, shape or formant. I just said to him, wearing a chat about something and I was talking to some judge, Justin Gachee, and Justin Gachie was talking about where he's from and Gechie who's on the main card fighting Ilia. He was like, he's a legitimately sort of a really tough kid Midwest America from a long run of coal miners. I really liked him. And he said, yeah, this is us doing of the Ward White House. It sort of divides people, you know, and it's hard. But at the end of the day, if you know, if people aren't for this, then and he paused and then went, well, they're they're they're fucking losers. That's what he said. And then I quoted that to Dana White, and Dana White, that's a bit harsh. And then he said a few things and I just said, well, listen, mate, I'll come along way for this. Don't fuck it up.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that's gonna that's gotta be the coverage over.
Speaker 2: He was good, he was he was sweet. And then after the press conference, I'm standing to the side and it finished and he saw me come over and he laughed and said, you cheeky motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Did the I do Like in the UFC, particularly, they're athletes, like they say a lot of like sometimes they go too far with what they say, but they're current like they because I suppose it's not a team sport, and you're all individual you can basically there's no guidelines, like you're not really being adjoined by a team that have sponsors and stuff. You're you're the brand itself. So they say just whatever they want.
Speaker 2: It's all mate, it's the fighters so impressive. Like so the main value that justinch against Ilia, who's the Ilia was born is Georgian parents, Georgian heritage, but lives in Spain now and you know, talking to people here, they reckon he'll be the goat. He'll end up to being the greatest of all time. He beat Vulk. Talking to Vulk about him, he said, he's an incredible fighter, just a real technician. And when you see the two fighters, go Chie's a guy like I said before, He's just a legitimately tough guy. Right. The other bloke though, Ilia just looks like a natural born Hollywood killer and mate, real good looking dude, real smartly dressed, but make class acts, speaks so well. But maybe he's just super confident.
Speaker 1: I do. I do love the fact that another video that's going viral that you've done for little content over there was the Japanese reporter who comes up to you thinking that you're a fighter because you are in the shape of your life and you're short, so a lot of those your sea fighters are short. And but I love that he he thought you were And you've come up with the character of Steve McGregor Condor McGregor's brother who apparently doesn't even have an Irish accent, which I thought was weird.
Speaker 2: But you think about just how long will you think about this? Imagine that he came to me and said that, you know, he was brothers with the Korean guy, even though it was Japanese. I don't know the language. Would I know who could give us if someone was talking Korean or that is.
Speaker 1: Very Yeah, it's a good point. It's a good flag it from you. I just the video is hilarius itself. Is there any ambition because you used to be big on your characters back in the day, but you haven't done a character in a long time. A lot of people are calling for Steve McGregor to be a regular sort of character in the show.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I haven't really given any thought. It was funny the Japanese guy come up and just grabbed me, going, oh strong man, you fired out and I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, and then just went with it and then buggerb he quickly your piece here and it was asking me to talk live on air and in Japan from Fuji TV talking about stereotype stereotype to television Fuji TV in Japan, and I was like, I don't know what to say it. I was going, yeah, you know everyone in Japan, you know you have seen two fifty Freedom to fifty. Yes, Steve McGregor, you don't get me higher. Mate. He was just so happy, and for the rest of the prescott, like the rest of the tour we did, he was just following me around and give me his card.
Speaker 3: So mate, it was imagine that it's making Steve McGregor like novelty like action figures. Over there.
Speaker 2: The New York Times writer he saw the exchange and that's why he came over to me and he said to me, hey, can what's your name? And the Japanese guy was nearby, and I actually started the interview with the New York Times Journal with Steve McGregor, and that's the Japanese guys moved away. I had to say that, hey, mate, I'm really sorry. My name is Steve McGregor is that And he was like dumbfounded, going like why would you why this is?
Speaker 1: I can't imagine like obviously that because that video is going pretty viral online. Imaginef it gets back to like the Japanese station, he gets fired, ends up homeless.
Speaker 3: And honors a very powerful thing over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's one goal is to come back here and kill Steve McGregor.
Speaker 2: I don't need to perform Harry Curry, but he.
Speaker 1: Just he ends up killing Paul McGregor instead.
Speaker 2: I must say, the the setup is, the setup is unbelievable. It's just incredible. You know, you're on the White House steps and then straight in front of you just short walk down like literally, you know, in fifty meters on the front there you've got the UFC Stadium that's been built, and then they've got the outside area, like the fans area, which they reckon is going to be about eighty thousand people there. It's just it's just massive. But it's like I said before, like there's been so much going on. We've got the NBA Finals, like we're in the we're in a bar watching the you know that that amazing comeback from the New York Knicks. Yeah, and then coming back and win an NBA game. Also, mate, you've got too many Mexico. The other day, me and Volk we went to Many Mexico and watched Mexico versus South Africa and the opening of the foot of World Cup. So there's just so much going on here at the moment.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy time to be over there. Fifth World Cup, obviously, NBA Finals and now this big Like it's a talk about a good time to go watch the UFC obviously on the lighthouse, but like it's just a pumping time in America.
Speaker 2: It is a pumping time, and we went you'll see it when our thing comes out of being vaulked doing our tour. There's also a place called Ben's Chili Bowl. It's an iconic thing in right Washington, d C. It's a place that's been around. But the original owner she's still there. She had she over her when she was twenty four. She's now ninety two. Her and her son still running. And like everyone's been there that it is a place that is synonymous. It's an icon of Washington, d C. It's on Anthony Bourdain and made the nicest people but they've had on the wall. There's pictures of Barack Obama, Denzel Washington, Martin Luther King used to go there and eat all the time. Yeah, we met mate. And when I was in there, like, I mean, you guys wouldn't know this felt, but this guy walked in into the the you know the area there the diner and looking at him and go, I know this play from somewhere. I went up and said, you're a professional athlete and he said, yeah, my name. I used to play NFL at ball for Detroit Lions and New England Patriots, all these different clubs. It's Phil called Otis Smith. Otis Smith, Yeah, NFL cornerback. So you're running into people at this over here at the moment. There are people from just everywhere that have come over for this event and it's it's been fantastic.
Speaker 3: Hey, Matthew, Matthew, can I ask you quickly because you what a couple of days out now from the actual event, the fight, and obviously it's going to be a massive crowd there that it might have eighty thousand fans and you've got four thousand what executives and VIPs around the ring. What are you doing to sort of prepare yourself because I imagine it's going to be like a massive day for work wise, but also just a massive event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack, it's funny. There's I think we're going to On the day, we've made a decision that we're going to we'll go into that main area, you know, to watch the fight, like the four thousand where you sit there. One of the things is to sit in that area, you must blog, like that's the thing. You must be blogging. You just can't sit there spectator. So I've had he under Benny Hogarth. I'm gonna they're just going to give me a computer and I'm going to act like av a vogging, So just sitting there send anything back. As you know, I don't even know how to open a computer. They're going to do that. Then we're going to get into the main zone with the eighty thousand people watching it. But the other one too. The other day we went there's a young blow watch. He's a young Brazilian guy, Mauricio Rufie. He's now what he is. He's a young Brazilian that is the Vault trains so made his volt reckons. He'll he could end up one of the best of all time. He reached out the vault from Brazil and when I just love you he went down. He was living he was living in down around Wollongong in window with vult training down there, and he's he's on the card as well, so just keep an eye on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will now look very exciting obviously, But here in Australia, State of origor just aroound the corner as well. I don't know how well versed you are across a lot of the Origin news, so as you've been quite busy over there. But the New South Wales sides come out, it's relatively unchanged. Relatively. The big sort of news out of New South Wales is Stephen Crichton shoulder injury, so Casey McLane is in the center's Toller Cola stays on the wing. But the bigger mission is Hamalwatu has dropped the twentieth man and a friend of ours, Dylan Lucas has coming to the starting lineup. Lots of people had different stuff to say. I think both back rollers deserve a spot in that team, both of them playing out of their skin. But your initial reaction to the Hamale dropping and Dylan coming into that side.
Speaker 2: Look, I was surprised about Hamalo being dropped. What I thought would happen. I thought Hamalo of course would keepy spot and I thought Dylan. I thought Dylan should have been there for game one. He should have been part of that squad. I thought he'd move into you know, maybe Jersey fifteen or sixteen. But he's gone all the way through to the starting lineup. That surprised mate. He's earned his jersey. He's been fantastic. And you know what what makes big stars at the moment, Dylan, Dylan is an emerging star in the game, even for his age. You know, he's not to see a really young guy, but he's just emerging. But what made superstars, What made superstars the people that excel on the origin stage, right, And this is Dylan's opportunity. And I've seen it before other places. You said about Paul McGregor before. I think Port McGregor made his Origin debut about twenty five something like that, and at the time he was a bloke who sort of man. I think about two years earlier he was playing for Dapto and then because he just wanted to play with his mates, then he ended up going to the Aura Selas. A couple of years later, he's playing State of Origin plays great and he's the star of the game, you know, And that's what State of Origin does to people. The thing I get a lot here is Dylan playing on the right where in Newcastle he plays on the left. Hey, look like players like players should be able to play both sides of the park right, And this is this is the thing. I'm going on a slightly different tangenty, but just go with me. We're playing, we're playing. Coaches and clubs are paying some of these players, whether it be centers or back rowers, almost a million dollars or a million dollars a year, and yet they're not teaching them to play both sides of the park. Elite players should be able to play as well on the left side as they do on the right side. And so people are going, mate, what still, Lucas he's a left side back rower. No, he's a back rower. He's an edge back rower. You know, He's a guy that could excel on the left, but most probably can excel on the right as well, and that's the way it should be. So don't you know the very fact he plays on the left side at Newcastle. Look, in my opinion that they wouldn't. They would not pick him there. They would not put pick him on the right unless they've had consult him or somebody to say, you know, is he able to play there? Is he comfortable playing the right hand inside of the field, And in my opinion, Bill, Bill would be I don't think it'd be an issue.
Speaker 1: He seems like and Jack and no more on this. He seems like the kind of player that could you could put him sort of on both sides. He's a bit more of a football player than But there are there are some factors that I know why he likes and Jacke. He likes the left side because he's he's got a very much a natural left foot side step, so he does like coming back at inside shoulders on the left side of the football field. But I imagine that, you know, although he's not as dynamic off his right foot on that right side of the field, there are other strengths that can bring to that right side right Jack, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Jack. You know Jack, you know him inside out. I imagine Jack, you'd say that it would not be a drama. He'd have no issue playing on the right side. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He actually he actually started his career playing on the right side, so basically he played his first few back row games on that right side. The big one is going to be flipping him to the right. I don't think it's going to be about whether it can do it. I think it's going to be more about the workload. Like it's a huge ass on debut origin to play eighty. Like you know, I'molo's been playing eighty for years and years now and he sort of struggled that game one. And let's be honest too, they were like the first twenty thirty minutes, they were just out of the pump. Like the amount of juice that was taken out of them, it's so surprising that they even had the juice to go all the way with it to end up winning the game anyway. But it'll be more about that because they've got such a deadly left edge there for Queensland, it'll be Yeah, it'll be a massive test for him, but I'm sure it's a test he can handle for sure.
Speaker 2: I'll say this, boys, I think I think there'll be I think they're just looking at the new South Wales lineup, how they're picked at the moment on paper, I think there's some ducks of Drakes going going on. I can't marry in my opinion, must start, he must start. That that's for me, is that no brainer? So okay? So what happens here? So paying has Okay, I'll preface this by saying this, My starting middles would be Cameron Murray, Adam Vanula Blake and Paynhass. Now I start with those. I start with those three powerhouse players because of this. If those three bloats are on and firing, mate, put the Q in the rack Queensland Like, honestly, you can't contain that. That is just, honestly, at their very best, that middle combination cannot be beaten in any era. You don't get any better than that. So for me, that that should be my opinion. The starting lineup at the moment Adam and Kem Murray on the bench by gat Field. As that Kem Murray will start. I think it might be for Mitch Barnett. I think Isaiah might move up into another part of the middle. Yeah, but you know, again coming back to the fact I at the start of the game, I just like size and power, So I don't think he'll make two changes, but I think I think he'll go in for Mitch. But again, like a come back to the fact i'd have Fanua Blake and camp Murray starting. That's a big that's a big change to do it with both of them, But it would not it would not surprise me.
Speaker 3: I actually think you're on the money there, Cobba, because something you know, leading into the to this game and after game one, everyone talking about how Billy's such a great you know, he's so good at managing the team and how he's out coaching Laurie and stuff like that. Did you actually notice that the new South Wales team got announced on The squad got announced about eight pm on on the night, so the players went into the camp and then the team was announced the following morning. I feel like it was it was Laurie's chance to get in there communicate what's going to what the plan is with those whether it be one, two, three or four players that are going to be moved around, so they were on board before the team got announced the next morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Jack, I think there's Ducks and drakeson. He played here and yeah, I don't think significant changes, but I think I would be shocked if Kem Murray doesn't come into the starting lineup for me. That is a no brainer. And another one, you know like Katoni Katoni. Big challenge for Katoni. Katoni in game one. You know, like Billy, Billy does his homework on every single player. He knows every player's tendencies and what they're likely to do under pressure. And they just targeted Katoni, not just target you know, I will say this. They didn't go and just find him and go right. That's the black we're going at To be fair to Katoni. That is he is defending a Caleb Pomer's favorite attacking spot and so he just kept going at him and Katoni early on was sort of turning out and Kaylen was going half through and then later on he started turning in on him. He just he drove Katoni mad, He drove him insane. That's the big matchup, you know, where where Where positions himself. It's really good coaching by Billy, and he used to frustrate the out of me at Newcastle. Kaylan has got a sweet spot, as I've said, just on that left side. And rather than Kayl and go looking for the football. Billy's going no, no, no, Caylen, you sit there, the football is going to come searching for you. So it's they're bringing the ball to him in his favorite spot all the time. It's going to be huge pressure on that right side defense, particularly on containing Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you have no doubt. We saw how Lethally was that first half against you, so Wells and now dominant Coenslane where they they know they've basically got their blueprint Queensland of how they want to play and we as new so Wales know how they're going to play. It's just how do you contain especially those individuals. We know where they're going to go. But the Queensland big news out of there look a relatively unchanged side apart from Britain. A Kora comes into the starting back row with Ruben Cotter at Locke and Kirk Kate well as the other back row I've given Patty Carrigan got hurt so he's out of the side. But the big one, Rhys Walsh has come under the bench. Now you know a lot of people saying they how do they implement him, whether you know he plays through the middle or similar to like back in the day walkers On, or like when Billy Slater was at fullback klea Ponga debut, they brought him on through the middle to play together. Is that how you see them slutsy sort of using while she cooper?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think. I think what is predictable about how Billy will use Rus is that it will be in predict unpredictable, that makes sense. I think you'll throw him on in a really unorthodox position and he'll be He'll be a massive he'll be just a huge handful of noble of where he's on. It's really funny, right, boys, Game one, Game one really didn't pick didn't didn't pick Ruth And do you know what I reckon? Right, just go with me on this one. I reckon, I reckon. I reckon. Really thought that Reese still had a little bit of unfolding to do, if that makes sense. Like, I think he still thought that there were some tough weeks ahead of him before he was ready to rebound and really come back, and that's why he didn't pick him. And everyone was going after how he played up against the Gold Coast, so a lot of people were like, oh, maybe he's not going to pick Reees, but I think at that point he's probably going right up. Okay, Reese has almost hit hit base and now he's ready to rebound back. And that's one of the reasons I reckon he picks him. I think Billy's got really good instincts. I think he knows when players are about to bounce back, are about to start to find get back toward their best form or towards you know, or start to really start to play good football. I think that's one of the reasons he's picked him. It's a really interesting makeup Brittain Ncora, you know, coming in the starting lineup, which is interesting. Max Plais, who I thought was fantastic in Game one in that first half he reversed to the bench, Finnifu Yaki onto the bench, Murray Tulaney on the bench, Hill and Lukey number twenty. It's a I look at made, it's a They've got a it's a very very strong coins land side, very dangerous.
Speaker 1: And I'm just going back to your Walshie theory for a second. It's it's a It's it's almost like the old the old theory of you know, you know when a goalkicker right right before the game. He misses twelve in a row, and some kickers go geez, they lose all their confidence. But a coach might come up and grab him and say, don't worry. You just got rid of all your bad ones, you know. Yeah, And they and they go out there and a goal kicker and it sounds weird, but they'll go kick six from six or they won't miss one on the day. And look you said. Billy Billy knows you know me and manage and he understands players very well. But on top of that, Rhys Walsh, how he plays the game. He's mentality where he always wants to attack. He wants he doesn't mind making errors because he wants to attack the game at all times. He's very much got the same mentality of Billy Slater like as a player. So Billy Billy's had and Billy spoken about bad times in like bad form times when he was playing or dropped in North Sydney Bears one year when they were the feeder club of the Storm. He knows that he sometimes gets worse before it gets better. So I mean, you might be you might be right on the money there.
Speaker 2: I remember that year. I remember that year in two thousand and six, Billy played it, played a game in likehard oval and he did it. He sort of pig rooted and kicked I think it was Chris Hyington in the head and got about a four weeks suspension and Billy wasn't in good form. The side weren't going that gray. Billy came back through North Sydney. I remember, I actually remember I was at that game with Billy A. I remember Billy when he did that kid group and he went mate, he was filthy, and I remember I think Billy said to me after game, he said, mate, I'm going to I've just got to make I've got to make a statement on Billy and it made him come back through. But the moment he got back in, he just started. It's started the run of the Billy Slader that we know, like that fruously talented but frugiously consistent. And so you're spot on. I mean, and you know, like podcasts are all about storytelling, rad and you said before about the bloke who gets out there and kicks and misses all of them. I mean, Uncle Joey, you know I think about that story, Uncle Joey and he's spoken to YouTube blugs about it to share it with people. You know, when he was a young player. We had the ninety ninety five World Cup Final Wembley Stadium, like the Wembley Stadium, one hundred thousand people. Anyway, we go onto the field before the game to warm up and Joey's putting the ball down and he's kicking around. I reckon the warm up Joey kicked about I reckon two from fifteen, just and make the English crowd were just into him. Lucks and all of Ma and wore chatting going off, going off the field, and he goes, I just want to put one, you have one more shot for a go back in and he put the ball down and all of a sudden, over the loud speaker stuck in the middle by Steve Miller band Steelers Will stuck in the well. I don't know what yea. Anyway, Joey's there and I said, mate, just relax and start to go with the music, and Joey's sort of dancing and all of a sudden goes bang kicks and it goes over and I think in the World Cup Final, I think he kicked five from five knocking him from the sideline everything you know, and it's it's running in that in that pre game, just exhausting all your bad kicks and then just finding your rhythm after that. Is that a story that relates to what we're talking about? Maybe not, no, no, no, it is it is.
Speaker 1: Well's talk about bouncing back from from form, because at the end of the day, it's four bad forms, like an avalanche, and the harder you try to dig out of it, sometimes it just snowball snowballs until you hit a family or you hit like a cabin and.
Speaker 3: Just tips, Can I ask you and Dad Cooper both? Can I ask you? Can you think of a weirder game two we've ever gone into? Like because everyone's talking about how good Queensland were before the Kalin hit and then how bad New South Wales were, when really all it takes is a little bit of luck and a little bit of effort from New South Wales to really get off to a good start. Mate, who knows it could be the weirdest series win ever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, spot on, Jack, spot on, because you know what Jack is that at times mate, like Queensland? How could I say this? This is going to sound really really, it's gonna sound stupid, but Queensland could go yeah, believe it or not, but the Queensland could go into this game slightly slightly complacent. Now go with me here. They're actulightly complacent because what they've been fed over the last two weeks is oh mate, yes, we're just given it to New South Wales. And the only reason you want New South Wales beakers is because Kaitlyn got sent off, which is absolutely true, every bit of it is true. But Queensland, if they're expecting that same New South Wales, then they've got some stuff. They've got shit coming to them because New South Wales will be a lot lot better. So yeah, it's a challenge for Billy as well, you know, to say, hey, listen, boys, even though we'll go we're on the way to winning the game, really and we would have won the game, don't expect quent New South Wales to be anywhere near as bad in this first half or in this game two. Again, So Jackie, you make a really good point there. It's a Mitchell Moses is an intriguing one. It's intriguing when Moses is in that team and I see Moses and Clearing. I just don't see how we get beat with those two blokes. I don't think Mitch's hamstring is a crucial one. If something happened to Mitch between now and kickoff and was ruled out for whatever reason, I would be equally as decided. With Ethan Strange coming going into the sixth and Isaiah Katawa coming into the nine team, which they're talking about. I mean, watch what I was watching the Dolphins game the other day. That bloke, My goodness, that bloke. I'm telling it. The Dolphins are going to be in my opinion, in the next twenty years, they're going to be Melbourne Storm White. I think they be a really dominant force.
Speaker 1: If we don't have Nathan Cleary, who you know, who's the best half aaker in the world as a New South Welshman. Isaiahtah was in there already. You know, he's just he's unfortunate how good he's playing the last couple of seasons. He's just unfortunate. He's behind the best half back for New South Wales at the minute. But going back, going back to what Jack just said and what you just said, how it's tough for Billy. It is interesting like taking coaches have origin, they have a week and a half to basically get players to buy into a narrative and get them else up really emotionally, like the emotion. It's not really x a's and o's. Like Steven Blocker Road said on the potty, you just got to get them up emotionally and really like hating the opposition and connected as a team. But like you said, Billy's narrative when he's in there right now is have a look at this sixty minutes right we have one turning point in the game. It's Caleb getting sent off and we just couldn't defend our lead. But that sixty minutes there's our blueprint. We were all over them. They can't handle us. That's the narrative they're buying into, so they confidently go into this game. But then on the other edge you've got New South Wales who were saying, for that first sixty minutes, we could not have played any worse. We could not have played any worse. We didn't know what was coming. They shocked us, they ambushed us. We missed the start, but we got the we won like we actually somehow managed to win despite that. So there's two polar opposite mentalities going into this game. It's the big challenges whether New South Wales can start better than they did in Game one because they really didn't leave the locker room. Yeah, but it's and whether they can buy into to that narrative that I'm sure Laurie's feeding and and boys.
Speaker 2: The other one made, which is I think it's advantage US is going to be the MCG, the conditions and the surface going to be slippery. You know when you're playing Melbourne this time of the year at night, Cooper as you know, it's really it's difficult, particularly the MCG. And you know the thing that's got to be you've got to be tip top at your defense has got to be great, but you're kicking. Your last tackle options are imperative and look we as far as last tackle options made, look on paper we win one hundred milk. We've got Nathan Cleary and for long kicking, we got Mitchell Moses that we needed. So I'm really with Mitchell Moses and Nathan there. I you know, touch would but I'm really confident in this game in the New South Wales getting done well.
Speaker 1: I you do also look at some of those the Queensland players in Monster, Harry and Trent, they probably have a little bit of advantage over knowing playing that Melbourne condition at all times, and Billy himself. Billy can probably game plan around those similar conditions. But it's going to be a great game. I do want to get to our tips. Matthew aka The Australian Correspondent and Steve McGregor, what are your tips for the game?
Speaker 2: Look, I'm want to get in New South Wales to win and I do this and by the way, I haven't give this like a mention, but really excited for Casey McLean. Hopefully that ankle iss enough to one hundred cents so he plays his best. Excited for that, and of course excited for Dylan Lucas. Good on deal waye Corus sounds a beauty come off the bench as well.
Speaker 1: For our tips, sorry, can we go winner by how much win? Our score line and a a try scorer and amount of the match.
Speaker 2: Let's do that, Okay, I'm going to go winner New South Wales. I'll go the scoreline. I will go New South twenty eight Queensland sixteen. You want first try scorer or just any time?
Speaker 1: Just got just any time.
Speaker 2: Anytime, I'll go Dylan Lucas. I'll go deal, you know, with Nathan and Mitchell out there with our playmakers. You know, playmakers rely the lifeblood of playmakers, our edgeback rowers. So he's going to get any chance of men in the match. I'm going to go Nathan Cleary. Nathan, it's his time. They're winning that game, that last twenty minutes in game one. I think he's just a breakthrough and needed at state of original level.
Speaker 3: Jackie, I'm going Blues Cooper as well. I'm going to go with a pretty big scoreline. I reckon it's going to be like thirty two to ten. Yeah, I think Blues might. It's very it's going to be tough for them to get back up into that starting form they had in Game one. Queensland my anytime as well. I'm going to go to Dilan Lucas as well. Would be a shame if I didn't do that to the old roommate. And then I'm going to go man of the match. I actually think it's going to be Cam Murray and I think late change Cam Murray will start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well okay, now I'm with you. I'm going to New so Wales, I'm a little bit tighter than you guys. I think twenty to eighteen. I think anytime try scorer. I really like the idea of the Hammer for Queensland. I just think they use him so much, especially on and anytime they make a linebright He's there to push and score my man of the match, same as you, Dad, I've got Nathan clear. I think listening to some postmatch stuff with Nathan after the game, he's copped a lot of criticism about not being able to dominate Origin, and now people after Game one that he played well, especially that last twenty minutes. People are saying, oh, you know, have a look at him, have a look at him. Now, you know you're playing really well, really well. It does not matter playing one good game of Savage and does not matter unless you win the series, because no one remembers it, no one cares about it. So and I think Nathan knows that listening to some of his post match stuff, so, I think he knows that the only way I can silence critics and prove it to myself and to the critics is is if I go out there and really dominate this Origin series. So I think he thinks he's got a lot of unfinished business. But it's going to be a hell of a game. Coy's down. I've got a great side as the new South Wales, so I'm keen for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, boys, it's going to be a great game. Look forward. I arrive back on a Wednesday and we'll rive straight into the game and we're going to do our postmatch analysis straight after the game as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we certainly are, mate, you are a credit to your family. Go well, hopefully get to interview Donald Trump if you don't to talk all things two pays and hairline and anti dandrel shampoo. But mate, we miss you and we came to see you. My friend.
Speaker 2: I made listen give part of my love to to Trish and I had to listen to the family podcast. You motherfuckers. He is all lifted without me. Where that effort and performance when I'm here?
Speaker 1: I said, I said the same thing. It was just like usually you know when when someone would interrupt each other, if you were in the room or something, it would have erupted be because Gav was there. It was like Jack and Mum. It was just like a lifting of aggression off their shoulders, so maybe going forward at something we can look at. But yeah, we'll talk when you get
Speaker 2: Back right up, boys, right