Speaker 1: From the Sky News Center. This is Paul Murray Live. Hello and good evening and welcome to the program. James Barrow sitting in here for Paul Murray Live. And of course a happy Bathhurst one thousand day to all who celebrate, including I think the great man Paulie himself, who's going to be celebrating because he's a friend of the show, Erebus the Arabis. They've won. And here's the hat that Paulie wishes he was wearing right now, beautiful hat. Anyway, it is great to have your company this Sunday evening, and have I got a real special treat for you a little later in the program, none other than Senator Jacinta Nabajiba Price is going to join me on the eve of the anniversary of the defeat of the Voice referendum and to help fight off the Sunday Night scaries. We've also got here Sunday Night favorites Linda Scott, James Ashby and Christian Abraham as well well, to mix it up and maybe just maybe answer the question I don't know, like, just what the hell has been the point of the Albanezy government these past two and a bit years. Look, I want to take you back to that heady evening back in May twenty twenty two, when Albow won his election, he dispatched the hated Morrison government, rocked up to a league's club deep in the heart of his electorate in beloved red Green Inner West Sydney, and promised a better way for Australia. Well, I mean, you know, on the eve of the anniversary of this referendum, I think it's a good time to ask, how is that working out for you? I mean, what's gotten better? As far as I can tell? You know. Inflation is up, Groceries are more expensive, interest rates are up. It's harder to get a house. It's harder for your kids to get a house. Society is coming apart the seams, divided by protests left and right. It's just, you know, I can't say that this has been a stellar performance. But stick with me on this because I think I can point to the moment when it all began to go south for the Prime Minister and his Labor government.
Speaker 2: I began by acknowledging the traditional liners and the land on which we may. I pay my respect to their elders, past president and emerging and on behalf of the Australian Libor Party. I commit to the Ularus Stet member in the Land Parliament.
Speaker 1: Ho how they cheered, But seriously, was that a victory speech or a landing announcement on quantas? What followed, of course, we all know more than a year of rancorous division campaigning a proposal for an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voice to Parliament that was backed by all the A List corporations and B List celebrities, and which started out being around sixty five to thirty five percent pro in the polls, but by a referendum day ended up being about sixty forty against. It was entire year, an entire year of a new labor government, with all the political capital that that implies spent not on making housing more affordable, reforming the economy in the tradition of great labor reformers like Bob Hawk and Paul Keating, but instead wasted on a referendum idea that was so poorly thought through and so confused that the Yes camp was breaking down in division in the weeks and months leading up to the vote, and whose backers right up to the Prime Minister couldn't even give a straight answer as to how long the ullerus but from the heart was It was here, of course, that we got the true, I think, measure of Anthony Albinizi and learned that his and his government's entire modus operandi was going to be to fight on emotion not fact, and then when called on it, say disinformation and call your opponents conspiracy theorists. Remember this fiery question time response from the PM on the question of whether the ULARU statement was really just a one page, simple, gracious, generous request or if there were a lot more sinister underlying documents sitting behind the thing.
Speaker 2: Megan Dadas said this, there's been a lot of years this week that the Ullaryus steamen is twenty six pages long. But it's one page. That's the stement, that is what we usued to the Australian paper. Indeed, this conspiracy has been around a while, has been around a while.
Speaker 1: AB Seniors fact Check. I wonder who they got this off.
Speaker 2: Pauline Hanson claims list of Indigenous demands found via FOI Shames Daniels the Voice de Parliament. What's actually in the documents? I tablet ABC fact check from twenty first of April twenty twenty three, that found that it was a nonsense. I tabled the AAP fact check email misleads with secret documents claim from from April twenty one, twenty twenty three. But here we have in August and they reheat, they rehear a conspiracy theory based on absolute nonsense.
Speaker 1: Ah, of course it's a conspiracy theory. That's what we always hear now from the left, whenever people talk about things that don't go along with the narrative. They wanted everybody to just go along and say, yes, of course, we'll have the voice, and we'll just ignore the treaty and the macarata and the truth telling you what the word macarata really means, and everything else that went behind it. But of course Albinizi there standing up for the dispatch box. He talked about fact checks. But you know, I think by now we know that this sort of self reinforcing circular logic of these fact check processes are nothing more than an exercise in propaganda. Let's not forget here that the ABC was forced to cut its ties with the r MIT fact checking unit after fact checking director Russell Skelton was caught out campaigning in favor of the Voice referendum on social media. How's that for neutrality, while at the same time his team used their positions to police the debate and sense views against the proposition. And indeed, many of us on this network, including my colleague Peter Kredlin, found acres of evidence that the Uluru Statement was a much bigger thing, with much grander plans than what was put to the Australian people. As I reported in The Daily Telegraph around that time, even the official book about the Uluru Statement confirmed in print that it was fifteen pages. And now they're still doing a year later, the misinformation conspiracy theory thing. This weekend it was reported that Megan Davis, one of the chief architects, still blames misinformation for the loss, which I suspect is one of the reasons why the government is so keen to get a misinformation bill up. Let's not forget you know, television, print, they've all got their own regulations, But so much of the No campaign where this fight was won, took place online, where there's a lot less of that sort of regulation, bringing online stuff and social media under the auspices of a misinformation bill, well, that makes it a lot easier for the government to then police and order inquiries and tell Facebook and Meta and all the social media platforms, with the possible exception of x run by Elon Musk, that hey, they've got a self reported police and do all this stuff to crack down on anything that goes against the official narrative. I mean, you and I lived through the pandemic, right But, as Ellie Dudley reports in The Australian, through though the Yes campaign is still divided, prominent lawyers and staunch Indigenous Voice advocates have condemned Meegan Davis's claim that a misinformation bill could have helped secure victory, with one leading supporter asserting that Yes became obsessed with critics misleading narratives while also, oh, get this here, spreading untruths themselves. You don't say, I mean. Among those who have been saying this now, according to Ellie Dudley, are Greg Craven, a vocal supporter of the Voice, and he was a member of the referendum working group. He has said that Yes was also complicit in spreading disinformation in the lead up to the referendum. This also included questions about whether or not the executive government would be included in the proposal. Do you remember those arcade legal fights. At the same time, Arthur Moses, another prominent Silk, said the vote failed because of a lack of detail, not misinformation, and said Labour's bill in its current form would have shut down legitimate expressions of opinions and be counter productive for voters. Look, it's pretty amazing and refreshing and well done for the candidate, gentlemen, and better luck next time. Well maybe not better luck, but you know what I mean. Anyway, enough of that, let's have a little fun here and head on over to the US and check out how things are going in the Great presidential election of twenty twenty four. Now, things are on an absolute knife edge now between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris according to basically every poll, but the edge now seems to be tilting in Trump's favor for a whole bunch of reasons, not the least of which being that the Democrats, in their wisdom, swapped out a presidential candidate, Joe Biden, who couldn't string a sentence together, for another candidate, Kamala Harris, who well cannot string a sentence together. Now tell you I think something has changed in the last forty eight to seventy two hours, because all of a sudden, it feels like the air has gone out of the Democrat effort. The joy, as they like to call it, is gone, and kaval Is Brat's summer, whatever that was, is looking decidedly wintery. In the top battleground states, Kamala Harris is now starting to lose altitude according to the Real Clear Politics average of polls. And what should really have alarm bells going off for the Democrats is this. In twenty twenty, at this point in the race which Joe Biden won, the Democrats were up four point seven percent in the battleground states. In twenty sixteen, at this point of the race when Hillary lost, the Democrats were up three point four. Today, Donald Trump is up just a hair at oh p four. But also note that the polls just about always tend to skew the Democrat way, which maybe why well some on the left seem to have almost given up Take Saturday Night Live, the Great Sketch Comedy, which used to be hilarious when I was growing up, but as pretty much ever since, Trump came on the scene. Been about as funny as an old Soviet variety show. Were the only things you could joke about was America and the tractor harvest, And if you said the wrong thing about the tractors, you'd get shot. Suddenly, though, they've decided to pick upon this rich vein of material. So I've been sitting for them for years, but now they're actually gone and done it. They've gone and made fun of Kamala Harris and Joe Biden and Tim Waltz. Let's see how the Democrats did on the Saturday Live version of Family Feud. Shall we oh right loved?
Speaker 3: Played a game oka people surveyed. Top six answers on the board. Name something that you're keeping your glove compartment? Oh, bp, Harris, Steve.
Speaker 4: Look, I was raised in a middle class family.
Speaker 3: All right, Oh, here we go.
Speaker 4: Okay. My mother raised my sister and me, all right, she worked hard and saved up.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 4: And we had a second mother too.
Speaker 3: Okay, did that mother have a glove compartment?
Speaker 4: A small business owner named miss Shelton.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got that something that you keep in your block apartment?
Speaker 4: Oh a glock, Steve, A big old glock.
Speaker 3: Oh snap, okay, so you stapped like that? All right, show me the blip black bicky.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: And finally, all of a sudden, they're also having a crack at Joe. It's like the spell has been broken. I like to buy a vow.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 3: That's it's the wrong game, plea, Come on, Conan, what are you doing?
Speaker 5: It's me.
Speaker 2: I'm still the president.
Speaker 4: I'm Joe.
Speaker 2: I'm maybe older. I'll beat the hell out of you.
Speaker 6: I'll popya.
Speaker 1: I'll give you an uncle sandwich. You know how to do it. I can make sandwiches.
Speaker 2: And guess what, here's the deal.
Speaker 1: I'm not the old one now. Trump is the only difference.
Speaker 2: I know when to walk away about six months too late?
Speaker 3: Okay, show me whatever that was.
Speaker 1: And they also had a little fun this way. Have a look at this.
Speaker 4: He's out there, he's doing this thing, whatever that may be.
Speaker 7: Come on, just relax. You know you haven't had a night off in three months.
Speaker 4: Do you want to watch something less stressful like the Benandez brother Show. I don't know, Dougie, I kind of wish I had picked Josh right now. Oh, Joshapiro, No, Josh Cabernetti.
Speaker 8: Look, it'll be fine, and it's not like he's gonna say something crazy.
Speaker 1: I've become friends with school shooters. Imagine if they tried to be funny for the last four years instead of the last four minutes. Anyway, they wouldn't be doing this unless they thought that their side was going to run away with it, or frankly, that there was no point in holding up the side. Guess what I think. You know where my money is on this one. Now, let's get into the conversation. On this Sunday night, I am joined by a great Sunday panel joining me in studio, former Labor councilor Linda Scott. So wonderful to have you here in the man Cave, sitting in for Pole. Here in Queensland, we've got One Nation chief of staff and candidate for Keppel in the upcoming state, Alex and James Ashby, Welcome to the program. And in Melbourne we have libertarian commentator Christian Abraham. Welcome to you all. Now, the big story in politics for the next few days is going to have to be I think the one year anniversary of the Voices defeat. What went right? What went wrong? Why did they lose? Linda, let's open up with you. What are your thoughts. You've heard what I had say about still the ranker on the Yes side, about where it all went wrong for them, what do you think Look.
Speaker 6: Books will and have been written on this, haven't they.
Speaker 9: And of course forty percent of the nation did vote yes, and we have a history of referendum losses in this country. That's the truth of it on our conservative and progressive sides of politics. So I'm sure that the analysis will continue and that this week, as you say, James, will bring a looking back on this year. I think, if anything, though, we want to look forward, and Australians at the moment in particular, given everything that's going on in the world, giving you all the unrest in the least so many different reasons.
Speaker 6: Australians want unity.
Speaker 9: They want to have government that is working hard for them, that he is producing clear outcomes in the public interest. And I think that some of these fights and trying to dredge up kind of all this dispute and disagreement, to be honest, belong where they are in the past. So I just hope that the commentary this week, when people look back on the referendum, they look back at where it went, what happened, you know, where the campaigns could have improved. And there's no doubt that campaigns can always be improved, that they do so in the spirit of unity and moving forward together, not in a spirit of division.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but of course a little bit of division, James Ashby is not always a bad thing, because of course division is where you get disagreements and ideas and sparks come out of all of that. But I want to ask you about what Linda's just said here, because you know, if we want to move forward together as a nation, I mean, was it a mistake Do you think James Ashby is a political strategist to waste more than a year of your opening political capital as a new government on this vote, which you know, no matter what to think a thought about it was really divisive.
Speaker 10: Well it was always going to be a distraction for a new government, but the commitment was made and so Anthony Albanzi thought this was the most important thing for Australians to deal with at the time.
Speaker 7: It wasn't. And that's the reality of it. Look, I agree with Linda.
Speaker 10: We don't want division in the country and that's why sixty percent of the Australian population said no to this. There was too much division that was outlined over that twelve months. I'm glad we had time to flesh this out. I'm glad that we had the conversation. We heard both sides. There was one side that wasn't very honest whatsoever, and that's why they lost. And now we live twelve months on with a problem where Megan Davies still hasn't gotten over this. Anthony Albanesi said that look, whatever the outcome, will live by it. But there are people like Meghan Davies who even perpetual victimhood status and so many other.
Speaker 7: People within the Indigenous community.
Speaker 10: And white guilt is also playing a big play, a big part in this across the country from those on the left side of politics, and that's why we.
Speaker 7: Haven't been able to move on here in Queensland.
Speaker 10: The Liberal National Party are as much to blame for passing treaty is what labor are and we're now stuck in three years of truth telling inquiries across Queensland, something that can't be unraveled. Despite the allenpur claiming they've walked back from that position. But the Genies out of the bottle or the rainbow serpents out of the bottle in this case, and we.
Speaker 7: Can't put it back in.
Speaker 10: And the issue that we've got now is that division is continuing to flourish. We had a brute highway blow up here just to the south of here a couple of months ago, and they had to do a cultural heritage report before being able to patch it up and reopen it. So the problem is being perpetuated by those still within labor, still within the left, and I don't see any improvement until where you reach a point where people say enough enough, let's just move on as Australians all as well.
Speaker 1: Christin, I want to bring you in on the conversation here now too, because one of the big things we keep hearing about this campaign now from people like Megan Davis, is this idea that misinformation was responsible for the Voice falling over, not the fundamental problems with the proposal. Now, my colleague here, Peter Krelin, had a great column today. She has said that if her reporting had been done on the Voice post a misinformation bill, I if misinformation bill had passed before, you know, that could not have been possible. And yet she turns out to have been right about an awful lot of the stuff that she wound up revealing here. What do you think, Christian about this misinformation bill? Is this a reaction to the failure of the Voice and a way to sort of get their own back, or is this part of a broader kind of thing that we're seeing in western democracies around the world where they're trying to figure out ways to limit speech in general.
Speaker 5: You want to frustrate me or get my blood to boil, James bring up in misinformation and stifling free speech.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 5: Abhorrent that they are calling sixty percent of Australians stupid pretty much by saying that the reason why the Voice didn't get up was because there was misinformation around People voted know in the referendum for several reasons, and having healthy conversations about a referendum that could potentially change our constitution was important and it's important to hear people that you disagree with. And the fact that they've tried to leverage off the Voice into this misinformation keeps me up that night, because we will end up in an Orwellian thought police kind of situation if they are able to get this the line and yeah, help us if they do so. Yeah, frustrating for me, James, and sixty percent of the Australians voted knowing the referendum and they should listen to that.
Speaker 1: Lynda, what's your reaction to some of this misinformation debate here, because you know, one of the things that does worry me here is that they say misinformation. But an awful lot of things that have been called misinformation in the past have turned out to be you know, with the passage of time and with more available evidence. I been hunches, it turned out to be correct. Should the government have a role in policing more of what people say?
Speaker 9: Look, I think that Peter Kretline in her article is conflating two very important points. She's arguing that the process she went through freedom of information, government transparency, government integrity to uncovered documents that were background briefings by departments about the Voice and she put them to air on this news station. And a government misinformation Bill which is designed to stop absolutely clear lies false information from being corrected in the public domain. She's conflating those two what I would argue to be very very different things. I don't think you'd find many Australians who would think it's acceptable to have in the public domain a statement that black is white and that there not be some mechanism for that information to be corrected. And we're seeing much much more of that on social media in particular, with very little responsibility from the social media giants because many of them are not based in Australia. They take, you know, the strong view that they shouldn't be held accountable for the lives on their platforms and people are being exposed to this and it's leading to very dangerous behaviors. We've talked about this before, but we've seen in local governments people are declaring that they're able to become a citizen that's sovereign out of Australia, you know, they don't have to pay their their rights.
Speaker 6: They're doing all these behaviors.
Speaker 9: They're abusing and being quite violent in some small cases to local government staff with no legal basis, no constitutional basis. They came for training to be trained as these kind of groups. It's just completely wrong, right, So we need bodies that can correct very clear misinformation and am.
Speaker 1: Carby old fashion carbi old fashion. I think we just need more debate on programs like this to decide, you know, what's true and false. I feel like these are issues which we have for centuries, probably ever since the printing press and new technology said oh we've got a new technology, we've got a regulator. But hey, let's move on here because we'll talk about the current situation here with labor and NewsCorp has today revealed the central planks Labor is going to take to the next election. They are educationaly for Medicare, investment, regional jobs, and putting supermarkets on notice. I spent eighty one dollars for a sack, one single sack of grosses it calls today, so I do kind of support that. But Linda, this seems very small target to me. Have they lost the kind of the fire of an early ambitious kind of government. Are they worried about being pinged on things like the two hundred and seventy five dollars power bill promise? Is this all a bit small target here and frankly unambitious given everything that's going on.
Speaker 9: Well, look, let's not forget that in this country. You know, the last prime minister who was re elected for a second term was John Howard, and for increasingly large numbers of Australians that's actually outside their living memory or certainly their voting memory.
Speaker 6: So this is an important election.
Speaker 9: It's going to be if Prime Minister Anthony Abernezi wins are historic, and it's also going to be difficult. Let's be really clear about the challenge that he faces to be re elected for a second term. But again, I think the central theme that whenever I talk to anybody at the moment people want to hear about is unity. I don't want political opposition for political opposition's sake. And when the Prime Minister talks about the no ellis you know the coalition of the Liberal National Party and the Greens just opposing every single idea, opposing reforms in the Parliament on housing affordability, opposing reforms to try and bring down Power Bill's, opposing reforms on all kinds of different things that Australians identifying as important. It is going to make it a hard task for them as well. And let's be clear, Peter Dutton, does he have a plan for majority government? Does he have a plan to win those Teal seats? Does he have a plan that allows it to take the majority of seats well, Labor does, of course have a plan for majority government. Get that, well, we'll see that's a question. But Peter Dutton doesn't have a plan for those teal seats. Even James Ashby, I think would agree with that. He doesn't have a plan for those metropolitan seats that he needs to win alongside those other regional seats to form majority government. And you know he needs to articuate late his policy vision, that policy plan to win back.
Speaker 1: Because James Ashby, to me, this sort of feels and I've said it before on this program and elsewhere, that this feels very much like we are seeing a government not coming out of a big successful first term, but like it's in its third term and it's kind of got that energy where it's just trying to keep things rolling for a fourth What do you what do you reckon about?
Speaker 8: This?
Speaker 1: Is Linda right here that this is a big unifying platform. Here is this what people want?
Speaker 10: No, Anthony Albanezi will make, you know, set records for the Labor Party, but it won't be by winning a second term in government, that's for certain. Look, I taped my hat off to Peda Dartina. I've got a great deal of respect for the man. I do wish and hope that he is our next Prime minister of this country because I believe that this is a government that we currently have that have come into Parliament, come into power with zero plan. Their plan was to divide the country with the Voice to Parliament. It didn't work. They were relying so heavily on that, and when it fell over, you had a prime minister that has spent more time out of the country than in it. It certainly feels that way, and when he's been away they've lost momentum because there is no talent on the front bench to sort of pick up where Anthony Albanezi has left off from. Also to what a lot of people don't realize is that despite saying that there was going to be a whole heap of transparency in this new term of government, we've had none. We've had debates stifled or shut down in the Senate, largely because the Greens just back everything that Labor suggests when it comes to shutting that debate down. We have also had any interaction with business leaders or community leaders stifled as well, because every time they meet with a minister in Canberra, they're forced to sign non disclosure statements or areas which stops them from being able to go out and then agitate in the media for the changes, or they've been given a sneak peak of what legislation's coming up, and what's happened is they've been stifled from being able to speak about it because of these non disclosure agreements. So we've had businesses going backwards at a rapid rate of knots because this government will not listen. It doesn't matter what it is, whether it be the Builders Association to the small retailers. No one has been listened to by this government. They think they know it all and as a result, that's where they're failing. They failing the people in the meantime as well by their lack of interest and they want to go after the supermarkets. But James, the reality is there's so much internally within this government that they could do to cut red tape and reduce the burden non businesses and families cutting taxes.
Speaker 7: But instead, no, they.
Speaker 10: Haven't done any of that, and they've wanted to blame everybody else bar themselves.
Speaker 7: In the last two years of government.
Speaker 1: Christian, you're a former Libertarian candidate as a libertarian and you hear James ashby toky, but cutting red tape will be like the top red tape item that you would cut if you could be, you know, telling Albanezy what to do.
Speaker 5: Or it would be income tax. We would cut that to twenty percent flat.
Speaker 8: People get a bonus.
Speaker 5: From work, absolutely, people get a bonus from work, and they get taxed to the marginal rate of forty five percent. And so they see, you know, just over half of what their company has given them. The government is the biggest bill that we pay at the moment. And you know, labor continues to say that they have a plan for our future and all of those kind of things. I want to talk about misinformation. That is misinformation because there are so many levers that they could pull. They could cut fuel ex size tax, they could cut income tax. There's so many but they just choose not to because they care more about staying in power. Yeah, cutting out, Yeah, they care more about staying in power than what is best for the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't have high hopes if they get a second term.
Speaker 4: To be honest, James, well.
Speaker 1: Let's hold it right there. Let's hold that thought, because we have got so much more in discussion. Go pick up again on this and so much more with my panel, and we're going to talk about Elmer Fund, I mean Tim Waltz's being Hunting photo shoot which didn't quite go according to plant. All that and more after the break stick with us. Hey, welcome back to Paul Murray Live with Me. James Borrow still joined by Linda Scott, James Ashby and Christian Abraham. I want to talk about a serious story here today. There's a bakery in Surrey Hills, Sydney called Abner's Bakery. They seem to have allegedly been targeted by an anti Semitic attack, including red triangles which are a symbol of the military wing of Hamas painted on the glass and a note saying be careful. It's horrifying stuff. And something I'll talk to you Linda about is one thing that does seem to be missing from the labor agenda is doing something really strong about anti Semitism, because, frankly, I have been absolutely shocked, I know you have, and a lot of people out there have been by the horrendous number of anti Semitic incidents. This is real nineteen thirties Germany stuff here. I don't want to make this a labor liberal thing, but I do want to make this about like a decency thing. And I really do worry sometimes that the Prime Minister does try to both sides this issue and say, oh, well, you know, everybody's kind of hurting on both sides. But it feels like there's a real crisis with this anti Semitism stuff. You see it around Sydney. I do too, What are your thoughts?
Speaker 9: Look, I think it is terrible to see these reports of this attack over the weekend in a sorry Hills bakery, you know, a mile patch in the City of Sydney. Awful to's left under the door, Awful to see terrible.
Speaker 6: Hate speech graffiti.
Speaker 9: And this is not unfortunately, as you rightly acknowledge him, it's not an isolated incident. Earlier in the year I moved a motion for the City of Sydney to take a really hard view on this and remove any hate speech graffiti within the hour, and I thought that was a reasonable proposition.
Speaker 1: I hate if they could frankly remove other graffiti absolutely as well.
Speaker 9: Absolutely Unfortunately the Lord Mayor has outsourced all that and it takes forever. It's for expensive, but I think if you've got a hate speech message up on a wall or up on a sign. I had people on my core flutes the election before last putting Nazi propaganda even on my core flutes, right, So it is unfortunate that this hate speech seems to be increasing every electoral cycle, but particularly it's very noticeable right now. And the Lord Mayor Clover Moore at the time voted that down. She said that that was too fast, that we should be to leave that graffiti up for longer than one hour. I mean, I just think that's completely unacceptable. It sends a cultural message that we tolerate this kind of hate speech. It is unsafe. It makes people feel unsafe. This is completely the wrong thing to do.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 9: It's it's hard for local governments. We saw obviously, you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: The local government, they've got to take their cues from what's going on up the chain, right. I mean, like James Ashby, I want to just bring you in on this here, this stuff here, this antisemitism. I know that I have been shocked since October seventh by the amount of vicious antisemitism that seems to have just been lurking right under the surface. And it feels to me like Ethniobanes has been really slow off the mark. I remember days after the attacks and the news came out. You know, Rishi Sunac was out in London reassuring the Jewish comedy. Other leaders were doing the same thing, and Ethnie Albanez almost had to be dragged to a shool in Melbourne to say, you know, a few words to reassure everybody. It's like, this is this reactiveness and then into the vacuum, you know, all of this heat can kind of exist. What are your thoughts, James Ashby.
Speaker 10: Well, James, it has been very disappointing to see the Prime Minister so laxed on coming out and being strong on this particular subject. I'd love to see more strength from him. I would certainly love to see more strength from Penny Wall on this subject as well and other front benches, but there has been this really relaxed mood from this government to say anything. And the other thing we've got to realize it's not just businesses that have been painted with this upside down red triangle. A very owned Federal Parliament was under attack with big banners. This giant, big upside down triangle was painted across the very front of our Parliament House in Canberra, and you know, the only people not to condemn that action with a Green Again, why is it that the Greens have been led off so lightly here? Why is it that the Greens think that this is tolerable behavior, not just federally but on a state basis as well.
Speaker 7: Someone needs to call this behavior out.
Speaker 10: If it's not good enough to put swastikas up, it's not good enough to put hamas symbols up either.
Speaker 1: Bingo absolutely Christian? What's want to bring you in here? Real quick? What do you think though, because of course there's a libertarian You be all for free speech. How does the government maintain free speech? But then also you crack down on all this hate speech?
Speaker 5: You're right, the libertarians have a strong principle of free speech, but they also have a do no harm principle. And one of the biggest pillars of libertarianism is that every individual is equal. So aside from race or religion, we are all equal and should be treated in society as such. So I think what has happened with this bakery is abhorrent and it makes me wonder what Australia has come to and times we need different kinds of politicians and right now we need a leader to unite the country and come out really strongly about these topics.
Speaker 4: But they're not.
Speaker 5: And I have to disagree slightly with James. He said they're taking a relaxed approach. I don't think they're taking a relaxed approach. I think they're taking a fence sitter approach. And that is a very conscious dicise.
Speaker 1: Well, because they care more about relax Yeah, well it's a relaxed fence sitter approach. Baby, we could say that. But hey, let's move on here though. I want to be on from this here because we do have some more American politics cover here. And vice presidential Democratic vice presidential nominee Tim Waltz had himself a little interesting weekend. Went out on a bit of a pheasant shoot. He wanted to do a big photo shoot of him hunting to show he's just an average guy, the voice of the Midwest, out there with his shotgun and his hunting gear, which was clearly just bought off the shop at Kmark. Let's have a little look.
Speaker 2: And it never fits quite.
Speaker 11: Right, never fits right, is not quite right?
Speaker 7: How do you give them that.
Speaker 4: Govern what kind of done is.
Speaker 11: This was a Burretta a four hundred. I bought it when I was shooting a lot of trap because it has a kind of their patentent thing a kickoff, so when you get old, it doesn't hurt your shoulder as much.
Speaker 1: Now, I remember this is a guy who bragged about his military experience in the US National Guards. CBS news reports and the three hours sessment with the media, Tim Waltz did not fire a shot, James Ashey, let's start with you on this one here. I mean the whole sort of Tim Waltz thing and the way that the Democrats are bleeding away support from mail voters and including a lot of big unions and working class unions too. But like, this sort of thing just feels very humiliating. Why do some politicians feel the need to do these kind of stunts. Isn't a sign that this election is running away from them? James Ashby.
Speaker 10: They say never work with kids or animals in politics, and certainly in front of cameras. But in this case, don't buy yourself a new Bretta off the shelf and think it's going to work smoothly, because that's precisely what's happened here.
Speaker 7: He's brought a.
Speaker 10: New gun, as you say, he's brought the new gear off the shelf to try and look the part, but it hasn't gotten a plan. And these are the mishaps that you try and avoid in politics because they can come back and bite you on the backside. Any experience shooter would know very well that a brand new guns quite tight and they do take a bit of time to loosen up. But yeah, he's been caught out. But they happen to do it here in Australia too. I do know though that the opposition here in the Queensland state election isn't doing anything that isn't.
Speaker 7: Very well, very well scripted or.
Speaker 10: The medium monitors are making sure none of those mishaps happen here in this Queensland election.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean, Linda, you're an experienced political operator. When do you see something like this, this sort of you know, just play of kind of full manliness with the shotgun and everything like that. Does it speak too bad advance work by the Waltz campaign because it seems like every one of these things kind of they step on a reek with it.
Speaker 9: Look, I mean, I think most Australians would find images like that of a candidate in a political elaterisi, you know, running away with the gun pretty odd, to be honest. So yeah, it's rather unusual generally for Australians.
Speaker 8: I've got to say that out loud.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, look, of course, you know, images in political campaigns are so tightly controlled.
Speaker 6: I mean, James will shout me down.
Speaker 9: But Stephen Marles has been out announcing free school lunches this week for all Queensland children if he wins re election as the Queensland Premier. Images are so remarkable, you know, the premier children giving them free lunches. What a great policy to bring down cost of living. So these kinds of things are very scripted, they're very rehearsed, very controlled, and that's important in the context of an election.
Speaker 1: Look, I just can't remember the day. It's been quite a number of days since the Harris Wolfs campaign have had what we would call a good day. But look, we're gonna go to break in a moment. But before we go, I really wanted to talk about this story. Great story in the City morning, Harold. I know, right, But there is a theme park apparently where kids can be construction workers. There's a place called Thunderbird Park and I love this. This sounds like so much fun. They have real earth moving machinery for kids to get in, dig holes, stack car tires, use wrecking balls, all of course safely.
Speaker 6: Lindas, I just want to say that I love this right.
Speaker 9: I mean, I've been involved in lots and lots of park designs in local government and you see those little, tiny, beautiful diggers with a bit of tan buck. But these are like full on massive diggers where children as old as kind of two and three you can go in there and smash things up and dig up pig calls in the ground.
Speaker 6: I love it best playground. It sounds so much fun. I'm all for this kind of tourism.
Speaker 9: I just think it's awesome and look to be generous that, you know, as we come to the break. Just like James said, we should be out there when cost of living is rough, support your small businesses, you know, support your local tourism operators. Get out to these kinds of things wherever is close to your home. They are a great opportunity. But this one just looks so much fun. In the Blue Mountains of Sydney, it.
Speaker 1: Looks like so much fun. I want to go out there and play on some of that stuff. Anyway, Listen, you're right to support independent, support local, and thank you Linda Scott as always, James Ashby as always, and Christian Abraham as always. Now, do not go anywhere because just sit the Price after the break on this historic one year anniversary tomorrow of the referendum. You're not gonna want to miss what she has to say. Stick with us. Welcome back to the Paulmurray Live program. James Morrow sitting in here for Paul Murray. We've got some breaking news just now for you. Just dropped new news poll numbers for the first time in the alban Ezy term of government. The coalition is now ahead on a two party preferred basis fifty one forty nine. So big newspoll news out just now, just breaking news. Now I want to talk to and bring in my next guest, Jacinta Nampa Jipper Price. You know her very very well, because tomorrow marks one year since Australian's overwhelmingly just about sixty forty voted no at the National referendum on the Indigenous Voice to Parliament, and since then, though there seems to have been little progress made on Indigenous issues, with labor still struggling with a whole raft of political challenges over the last for twelve months. Just sent to Nampa, Jepper Price joins me. Now, thank you so much for coming on this historic evening, Senator, looking back one year after this result, just take us back to how you felt a year ago when those numbers started to fall and they started to fall your way.
Speaker 8: Look, James, it was incredible. You know, we always felt that we wanted to get a majority of states over the line, but when the results came in so quickly, you know, so definitely Australians knew exactly what they wanted for our country and that was foreign Australia that wasn't divided along the lines of race. So you know, it was incredibly proud of being able to work alongside you know, Warren Mundine and of course you know my leaders Peter Dutton, Dave Little Crowd and the way that we were able to galvanize the Australian people and reignite the Australian spirit and understanding that Australians want a better way.
Speaker 6: Forward for us all.
Speaker 8: Particularly so with that result.
Speaker 1: And what do you make of Because of the last twenty four to forty eight hours, there's been a whole big to do now about why the Voice failed. And I mean we spoke many, many times about the weaknesses in the case, about how it was unclear, how what it was calling for wasn't clear. We've got the fight now between Megan Davis saying that it was misinformation, people didn't have the truth, and other people like Greg Barnes and Arthur mood saying no, no, no, they had the right information. We were giving out misinformation. What's your view of how the Yes camp still hasn't come to terms with this victory. It seems.
Speaker 8: Well, look, they need to accept the result and move forward. You know a lot of the grievance industry all they want to do is look back. The rest of Australia wants to look forward. Those marginalizeding iness. Australians want results and want action and want that now. So enough with the talk, enough with the carry on, Let's start doing things in a practical way to ensure that little kids, those who are experiencing the highest rates of sexual abuse in this country, are no longer experiencing that that they aren't living in a household where there's dysfunction and violence. That's who I care about, and that's who we as a coalition will be looking to improve their lives should we win government at the next federal election. No more looking in the past. It's time to move on, it's time to move forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, that's absolutely correct, and I think a lot of Australians share your view on that. But I mean, does it feel like this government wasted a year plus of average and Australians and digital Australians' lives here fighting over this reference and when they could have been taking concrete action and as you point out, you know they refuse still to do an audit of land can councils and figure out ways to more efficiently and better and more properly invest in these communities.
Speaker 8: That's exactly right. They're only ever interested in symbolism. But they put all their eggs in one basket when it came to the referendum, when it came to the voice. They don't know how to take action in practical ways going forward. And we've seen that with their failures governments governed over the Northern Australia, Aboriginal Justice Association, which has had six CEOs in the last eighteen months, left vulnerable Indigenous people dealing with court cases on their own in the Northern Territory. They've continued to ensure that schools like the Uparinous School miss out on their much needed funds to build a boarding school where our most marginalized kids in our community. They've ignored the voices of traditional owners calling for an inquiry because of their concerns with the governance of these organizations that are supposed to improve their lives. What have they done? They appointed a First nation's ambassador, and what does he do with the incredible amount of taxpayer funds flying around the world. He hasn't moved the dial once or marginalized kids in our communities.
Speaker 1: Correct, But you know, it's a shocking situation, but also a shocking newspapl that's just dropped very quickly, just in a few seconds of time, just at an amative a price. Your reaction to the fifty one forty nine newspapt showing things going your way.
Speaker 8: Oh look, Peter Dutton and David Little Proud and the coalition team, we're coming, We're coming.
Speaker 3: We want to fix.
Speaker 8: Australia for Australians, and Australians know this, and we're not going to stop fighting until we know that we're in a position where we can make.
Speaker 1: It better, just at an ambitive a price, we're going to have to leave it there. Thank you so much for making up making the time to join us tonight. Stay tuned here for the Royal Report up next.