Speaker 1: Pedo Kredlin live on Sky News Australia.
Speaker 2: Good evening and a welcome to the show. Here is what's coming up on Credline. Warning shots today from the Australian Chamber of Commerce, which says the Federal government's wild spending risks pushing out private investment. More on that soon, And for the first time, modeling backed by the Federal government via the CSIRO has dramatically reignited the energy debate, suggesting more coal and gas could deliver cheap electricity than renewables. The Prime Minister says he's learnt his lesson after the podcast controversy, but has the damage already been done? Plus university bosses seemingly all at sea as the grilling at the Royal Commission into Anti Semitism continues.
Speaker 3: Sfesser Brown can ask you to describe the Israeli flag to the Commission.
Speaker 4: What does the Israeli flag look like?
Speaker 5: What colors are on the US?
Speaker 6: I'm during a mental blank.
Speaker 2: The Liberal Party doesn't need quotas it needs conviction. After two devastating election losses, the Liberal Party is asking itself what would mensies do? As the Liberal Party tries to find its relevance and pathway back to government. They are talking again about gender quotas now. I agree the party needs to change, but they're looking in the wrong place. I want to see more women in parliament. I've been a Liberal candidate and campaigned alongside incredibly talented women Ronox, Giselle Capterarian, Katie Mullins, Joe vander Platt, Amrei A.
Speaker 7: Hamer, just to name a few.
Speaker 2: And they were pre selected because they are outstanding individuals, not because they're women. Merit should never become negotiable because the moment someone is selected to satisfy a quota, you unfairly cast doubt over every achievement that follows. That's not empowering women, it's diminishing them. Shadow Defense Minister Andrew Hasty was asked about gender quotas today.
Speaker 4: My instinct is always to come back to merit. I think we have some amazing women in our party, We've got some really talented men, and I think we should have a merit based approach. It's as simple as that. We should certainly make more effort to recruit and develop and give opportunities to women. But once you start imposing quotas like the Labor Party. You kill the very idea of merit within the party and I think that's poisonous to cohesion.
Speaker 2: And Andrew Hasty is right, merit should always come first. Opposition leader Angus Taylor gave his thoughts on quotas.
Speaker 8: I've never supported any quote at all, but what I do support.
Speaker 3: What I do support is more great people joining the Liberal Party, and more great people women and from.
Speaker 8: All sorts of backgrounds. I have long believed that we have to rebuild our parties. There's an enormous amount of work to do.
Speaker 3: I welcome the work of the Commission and I strongly support that regeneration rebuild of the party that we need.
Speaker 2: But the part that's being overlooked. At the twenty twenty five federal election, not one Liberal female candidate was voted in, not one. On top of that, female MPs lost their seats. Had any female candidate been elected, or more female MPs retain their seats, the entire narrative would have changed. We'd all be saying, look at the talented women representing the Liberal Party. But the problem wasn't the candidates. It was convincing Australias to vote for them. The last election was a desigaster. Policies were rolled out late. Run a decent campaign and perhaps women will be elected as will men. It starts with policies. Where are your policies? Michael Kroger highlighted this point on Sky News earlier.
Speaker 9: Unlus, you've got an outstanding offering which is politically very smart, like elbows. Wasn't the last elector that it was in twenty two. We're not being beaten because we don't have migrants and women and young people. We're getting beaten because Labour's policies are more attractive, They're able to sell them better, and they've been better at politics at a federal level than we have.
Speaker 2: The Liberal should build the best childcare policy Australia has ever seen, because here's something politicians often forget. Women don't vote for women simply because they're women. Parents vote for policies that make their lives easier, give families genuine choice. That is a liberal idea. It's also a point of difference from Labor. Bring out an energy policy that means people don't choose between heating and eating back small businesses show aspiration still matters in this country. Reward hard work. That's how you reconnect with Australians. Robert Menzies built a political movement around opportunity, personal responsibility and the battle of ideas. He didn't ask Australians to lower the bar. He challenged them to rise above it. And that's the lesson worth remembering. The irony is yesterday the Liberal Party was making headlines for backing small business and that's exactly where it should be. But today the headlines are about gender quotas, about the Liberal Party talking about the Liberal Party again. That's the problem. Here's what Andrew Hasty told Mark Leavy this morning.
Speaker 4: People are so desperate for leadership. People are so desperate for solutions. You talk to people out on the streats at door knocking yesterday in Western Australia, and you know people are doing it tough. They just feel like they can't get ahead, and so they're looking to political leaders for solutions. They don't care if they're male, female, or what their background is. If people have a solution, they'll back them. And that's what we've got to focus on.
Speaker 2: The Liberal Party doesn't need quotas. It needs to give Australians reasons to vote for it again.
Speaker 7: And this isn't it. It takes time and trust. If you were.
Speaker 2: Forced to choose, would you pay the electricity bill or take your child to the doctor.
Speaker 7: That's the choice.
Speaker 2: Many Australian families are now facing. A new report today has found more than one in five households have skipped paying for essentials like rent, mortgage or medical treatment to afford their electricity bill. Australians were promised cheaper power.
Speaker 10: Reducing power prices by two hundred and seventy five dollars two hundred and seventy five dollars two hundred and seventy five dollars a year two hundred and seventy five dollars two hundred and seventy five dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Instead, this is now a national failure. ABS data shows energy rows twenty one percent in the year to May. Is there any wonder why? A survey in the Deli Telegraph showed that more than seventy eight percent of households are concerned about the cost of electricity, and that's before the other warning. The CSIRO now says the cost of generating electricity is expected to jump by more than fifty percent after twenty thirty as aging coal fired power stations are replaced to meet our net zero targets now. They also said relying more heavily on fossil fuels could reduce the cost of running Australia's electricity system, but warned that it would come with trade offs for emissions. And that's precisely why this debate shouldn't be about choosing one technology over another. It should be about finding the right mix. Yet the government's answer is just keep going, no change of direction. Let's just throw billions more at renewables, keep destroying our landscape and farms as we chase a net zero fantasy. It's time to stop treating energy like an ideological contest and start treating it as an affordability issue. It's time to have a serious conversation about nuclear energy, not because it's the only answer, but because refusing to even consider it isn't working. Australia remains the only G twenty nation with a ban on nuclear power. If nuclear can compete, well let it compete. If renewables are the cheapest, or then prove it. If gas has a role, use it. Take the politics out of energy. If Australians are too afraid to turn on the heater. The energy policy isn't working. If you thought you're SUPER belonged to you think again. The Prime Minister sees Australia's retirement savings as something that can be used to advance the nation's interests, telling the Australian Financial Review and Busy Superannuation roundtable, there is a real potential to see these funds as a national asset, a national asset. That's a dangerous way to think about money that Australians have spent a lifetime earning. We've already seen changes to the tax rules and now the Prime Minister is openly describing Australian's retirement savings as a national asset that should help deliver national objectives and that should concern everyone. Opposition Leader Angus Taylor says Australians do observe answers about exactly what the government will do.
Speaker 8: What is his plan with Australian Super.
Speaker 3: Is he going to follow the lead that we've seen from Wayne Swan in recent days.
Speaker 8: Superannuation is Australian's money.
Speaker 3: It's not the government's money, it's not union officials' money. It's Australian's money and we will always respect that.
Speaker 2: And it's not just the Coalition raising the alarm. Westpac CEO Anthony Miller delivered a blunt warning saying, don't touch the super complex, don't direct it, don't tell it where to go. And mister Miller further said, let's make sure these funds understand the responsibility they have and that the governance is there. Liquidity is not a risk class that the super complex has ever had to worry about, because all they ever had was money coming in. And he's exactly right. Super funds have one job, maximize returns for members, not governments. Once governments think your retirement saving should serve the national interest, this definition will never stop expanding. Australians don't spend years building their retirement nest egg so politicians can use it as a diplomatic bargaining chip. Your super isn't another pool of money for governments to steer because they're run out of ideas. It belongs to the people who earnt it. If an investment stacks up commercially, super fund should absolutely invest because it's the right investment, not because it's the government's choice. And that's the difference. Your super doesn't belong to Canberra. It belongs to you. Well, let's head to Canberra now for tonight's political headlines with Sky News political reporter Camredden.
Speaker 11: Meeting with small business in Victoria. As we do, the Liberal leadership team is again consumed by party business.
Speaker 6: The most important thing is that the Liberal Party is ready to fight elections.
Speaker 11: A Route and Branch review run by Senator James McGrath calls out the party's failure to attract young migrants and female voters.
Speaker 4: The Liberal Party needs to make itself a campaign machine, a political machine for the twenty first century.
Speaker 11: It notes Labour's gender quotas have produced a party room that's more than fifty percent female, while for the Liberals it's less than a third.
Speaker 6: We'll consider all of the options that are put out there.
Speaker 11: But Angus Taylor has seemingly made up his mind.
Speaker 3: I've never supported any quotas at all, but what I do support. What I do support is more great people joining the Liberal Party.
Speaker 11: Instead turning to comedian Dave Hughes for a pep talk on Labour's tax reforms.
Speaker 9: Go on Disena World, on Albo World, on Jim Idiots.
Speaker 11: The liberals second internal review since the election isn't revolutionary. Many of these ideas have been proposed and debated before, but ever at a time with the party at such a low ebb and facing an existential threat such as the one posed by One Nation. Even as one of Pauline Hanson's lieutenants comes under fire for pedaling conspiracies, I'm open to there being kemprouse in Australia.
Speaker 4: I have never denied it.
Speaker 3: The globalists are entrenched in Ukraine and the Russia was controlled by the globalist.
Speaker 11: Senator Malcolm Roberts controversial comments include praise for American conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and re sharing an anti Semitic image on social media in twenty twenty four, triggering calls for his resignation.
Speaker 3: And the question here for Pauline Hansen is what is she going to do about it?
Speaker 11: According to Barnaby Joyce, not much.
Speaker 3: We make our opinions by what people put forward.
Speaker 8: I'm not here to start carpeting, Malcolm.
Speaker 12: I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 11: Cameron Reddin's Sky News Canberra.
Speaker 2: Before we jump into tonight's panel, Federal Liberal MP Tony Passen was meant to join us tonight, but sadly Tony and one of his staffers were involved in a boat accident today in Tasmania. The accident occurred while they were traveling with fellow Liberal state MP Gavin Pearce and his staff members as they were coming back from a tour of the oyster farm in Baker's Beach. Tony received medical attention, but his office told us he's okay, which is great news, but for obvious reasons, he had to cancel for tonight, with his first priority being the well being of his staffer, who we understand remains in hospital. Of course, our thoughts are with all involved. Well, let's bring in now Sky News contributor Carolie Katz and Barnas and Sky News host and Daily Telegraph National affairs editor James Morrow. Welcome to you both. Look, I do want to just start with quotas and I'm interested to get the opinions from both of you. Caroly, what's your view on quotas within the Liberal Party.
Speaker 7: I'm a no.
Speaker 5: I'm definitely not for quotas at all. You don't want to be known as getting it just because you're the woman or just because you're the man. You want to be the best person for the job, and the more time that is wasted on quotas and the need for them, the less time is spent on actually getting the right people with merit. There's a lot of reasons that people go into politics. It is a very rough career and industry. You do need a thick skin to go into it. But the end of the day, going with quotas, it just runs the risk of putting the wrong people in the wrong job. So I'm with Angus Taylor on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you there too. Caro Lee James, what's your view?
Speaker 12: Yeah, Well, you know, the only thing that the Liberal Party can do that can they can do worse than talking about one nation is talking about themselves. And the longer they start getting bogged down and these sorts of questions about quotas for female MPs or pre selections, the less they are talking about policy. You know, I'm sorry, but the gender mix of the party room doesn't do anything about the cost of living, It doesn't do anything about this confiscatory, redistributionist socialist government, It doesn't do anything about the energy crisis in this country. It just looks like a bunch of politicians talking about themselves. And that is the last thing the Liberal Party needs. This debate is incredibly self indulgent. And I'll tell you what. The people who are on the other side of this question, you know, when are saying, oh, they need quotas. They you have more female MPs, they need a quota system to make this happen. And you know these are people who would also not vote Liberal in on a bet, you know. So it's being driven by people who actually don't really have the party's best interests at heart.
Speaker 2: And I think, Caroly, if we can look at policies, that's how you bring people back. And I know I've now been saying it quite a lot, but things like nailing the childcare policy that wouldn't just bring back women, that'll bring back men too because it will help families and by giving them choice.
Speaker 7: That's a liberal mentality and it's.
Speaker 2: That's what I think that they should be focusing on, not themselves and talking about quotas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred percent, you've been red hot on this jomy always and yeah, and the other policies, you know, those basics, getting back to basics, the cost of living, getting rid of this ridiculous renewable strategy that the Albaneze government continues to pursue that's put so many Australians and their families in economic poverty. Just getting back to those basics healthcare, crime, all those things that we sadly took for granted in the Howard Costello years where Australia had wonderful growth. A whole generation of people and new arrivals know nothing how Australia used to be. I know that we can't turn back the clock, but everything has just been thrown out of the window. And I think it just gets back to people being able to have money in their money and their budgets and their look after their families and take the pressure off the Australian taxpayer. There's so much wastage that's going on at the moment. It just has to stop.
Speaker 2: James, I want to talk to you about the Australian Chamber of Commerce who today has issued it a broadside to the Albanesi government warning that they're prolific spending unrealistic assumptions about the size of the public service will just continue to pile pressure onto the budget bottom line. And they're saying that government is just relying on artificial forward estimate accounting which can't be covered up, and it's also concerned about crowding out private investment. Do you think labor has just become too reliant now on a bigger public sector.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes they have. I mean, this is it's funny to see, you know, the business groups now coming to the party on this here. But this is just confirming stuff that we have already known. It had long been a Treasury mantra that every dollar of public sector spending crowds out a dollar of private sector spending. And you know that mathematics doesn't change. We have this hugely spending government here, and I was intrigued not just by what the ACCI said, but by what the Parliamentary Budget Office said this week and they said, you know this government the forward estimates, well they are let's just say optimistic, heroically optimistic when it comes to this idea that they'll be able to get on a glide path to get back out of death sitting into surplus in some states. They said, the public service is far too big and there's no chance that labor is actually going to cut it. I mean, can you imagine labor firing public service? I mean, seriously, that's not going to happen. They said, too reliant on income tax and pay as you go. Wage earners are the ones who are carrying so much of the can here, and there's no way they're going to be able to cut the ndis as much as they hope too. So yeah, they're completely reliant on all of this public spending. It is just you know, moving money from A to B, not growing the pie, and the govern clips the ticket every step of the way. It's a disgrace.
Speaker 2: Caroly Let's have a look at the Victorian Liberal Party, who from reports look like they will disendorse Moira Deeming and this could be just within a few days. And this follows her dropping support Supreme Court action against the party and it's just so disappointing. You know, I felt like Moira was a trail of laser at one point of women's rights, but somehow the wheels have come off, and I just wonder can the Liberals rise above all of this in time for the election.
Speaker 5: Well, look, you're right, it is. It's a headache that won't go away. It is like a sein Faild episode that keeps going on and on. The good thing is Jess Wilson has continued her tour around Victoria visiting all the eighty eight Lowerhouse electorates, and she is firmly focused on holding the Jacina Allen government to account, whether it's crime, potholes, healthcare, no matter what it is, she is firmly focused on the issues that mattered to all Victorians. But at the end of the day, with more Redeeming, you summed it up. She was seen as the great White Hope. But the problem is she did not. It's very difficult for me to say what I want to say, but basically I would just like to say, you are taking all the good work that the Victorian Liberal Party is doing in a holding the Ji Center Alan government to account.
Speaker 7: She alleged that Matthew.
Speaker 5: Guy had assaulted her that had put her in a headlock in less than twenty four hours after Matthew Guys sought the CCTV footage from the Macedonian Center on May twenty third, Victoria police said it didn't happen. He asked for a public apology. That is the least that he was actually owed. He's remained silent and we've had an Instagram video done by more Redeeming. We've now had a statement, We've had interstate a legal representation and it just becomes all murky. At the end of the day, it comes down to trust, and I believe that the Victorian Liberal Party cannot actually trust one of their colleagues.
Speaker 7: And as you say, all the.
Speaker 5: Good that Moira has done, and she was justified in the action against PURSUITO and she was justified in winning her pre selection when Ganesh Garassetti Danessh Garassetti was disindorsed.
Speaker 7: But this is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: If you don't know the difference between a headlock and a gentle hand on the back after you've just stood for a selfie, it's terrible. I mean, she says on her Instagram that she stands for freedom, fair laws and family.
Speaker 7: She hasn't given.
Speaker 5: Two hoots about how Matthew Guy feels with his freedom and his family. And I think rather than be disindorsed, the decent thing is just to step down and if you've got that much PTSD and those many issues from previous incidents, perhaps politics is not the career for you, or just apologize.
Speaker 2: If she just apologized, we would have all moved on from this discussions. Just say sorry, I got I got the wrong between a headlock and a collar cuff and you move on. But James, before we go, I do want to get your thoughts. The Prime Minister has broken his silence today around these podcast comments that have just we've all been talking about for a lot now, around the melons and Kylie Minogue. He said on the ABC today that there's two things you need to do if you've made a mistake. One is to apologize, and the second is to learn the lessons from it.
Speaker 7: And I've done both. Now what do you make of that?
Speaker 12: Well, you know, I mean, everybody thought it was really ridiculous, less so the comments, the fact that he went on this ridiculous podcast, and I hope that the lesson that the Prime Minister, the Prime Minister has learned here is stop trying to pander to the kids by going on these stupid podcasts. And while you're at it, tell all of your ministers and MPs stop doing the stupid TikTok dancers and all of these videos, all of this stuff. You know, I don't want to help puritanical about what he said. It was silly and you know, and all of that, but all of this stuff it's demeaning to the office. It's demeaning to the government. It's demeaning to Australia and it's demeaning to the audience that they're aiming for here, which is supposedly these young Australian voters who they take very seriously. But they can only be appealed to by going on you know, trashy, low rent podcasts and by doing TikTok dances about their latest piece of legislation. It's a joke.
Speaker 7: You're not wrong there.
Speaker 2: I will leave it for tonight, Carole and James, thank you so much. Well after the break, a closer look at the modeling released this week by the CSIRO. For the first time a government report acknowledges that labor's pushed to net zero will hit Australians in the back pocket.
Speaker 7: That's next.
Speaker 2: Well coming up questions over the role Qatar played and fueling the anti Israel culture on university campuses. But first, Australia's energy debate has been dominated by one promise renewables will deliver cheaper power. Although new CSIRO modeling suggests agreed with more coal and gas could cost around five percent less to run by twenty fifty than the current net zero path, the tradeoff would be significantly higher emissions. So is Australia being honest about the real cost of the energy transition. Let's bring in senior energy analysts at MST Financial Saul Kavanick, So welcome. Let's start with this CSIRO modeling. It is suggesting that agrid with more coal and gas could cost about five percent less by twenty fifty than one that is dominated by renewables. Does that undermine the claim that the current renewables only pathway is unquestionably the cheapest option.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: This Gen Cost Report, which is the main document outlining costs for power generation for the Australian government. This is a real watershed report because thank you to the pressure from yourselves and your colleagues and many organizations to be more honest about what the all in costs of the energy transition is. For the first time we have the CSIRO and the Australian Energy Market Operator actually looking to incorporate all of the costs within a metric because, as you know, the debate about electricity costs, particularly for renewables, has always relied on this report which showed that renewables are cheaper, but that never took into account the costs that the rise and renewables impose on the rest of the greed in terms of trans mission upgrades, lower capacity factors for other generation, et cetera. And this time they've got the system levelized cost of electricity, which is the first time they've done it, and what it shows is that under net zero pathways the cost is going to be between five percent and thirty nine percent higher then it would be under not having a net zero pathway. In particular, if you look at the two scenarios that they highlight as the most likely, it's our net zero pathway for electricity is going to result in between fourteen percent and twenty three percent higher costs than not having that zero. So this is the first time that the government's signature document is showing that there is going to be a cost for that zero in our electricity generation. That flies in the face of the narrative that we can have lower emissions and net zero and lower prices in the process, and it is a trade off involved here, and now we can start to have an honest debate about the value of that trade off and how willing are Australian's going to be to pay more to be complied with.
Speaker 2: Net zero and I guess the question then here is nuclear and how that then factors into our energy debate and our discussion, because the problem now is that we still can't have a proper debate when the moratorium is on one of these key sources and the government seems set that they're not going to remove it if it was lifted tomorrow, How realistically can a reactor be built here?
Speaker 7: Because I feel as though a lot of the.
Speaker 2: Claims when it comes to nuclear is that, oh, it's just too long, it's too expensive, But that doesn't really seem to be the case when you look at other countries around the world and what they're doing in the nuclear space.
Speaker 1: Well, the key thing to a nuclear timeframe, it's less about the time it will take to construct the plants, but it's all the precursors to that. So Australia need to put in play a regulatory regime for constructing nuclear the environment to do so and do so effectively, which then allows bills to happen in a cost effective and rapid manner. And I mean, I think it is fair to say, given track records by both sides of government here, you know, we can question about the government's competence to put in place such a framework, but what we are seeing from other places around the world is that it is possible. And I think the other part of this is we need to compare the timeframes for new nuclear and new generation with the alternatives. And what we're seeing from projects like Snowy Hydrome particular, but also things like offshore wind and these days even onshore solar and winded utility scale is the timeframes and cost involved are blowing out massively. The approvals for these projects are taking years longer than expected, and that's even with this extraordinary level of government support we've had under Labor under the Capacity Investment Scheme. So if we're going to start comparing apples for apples, particularly, we're going to take a longer term view about what we're going to do to regenerate our generation capabilities over the next twenty five years, there's certainly no case to say that nuclear should be excluded, and it could play a role. The Gen Cost Report itself highlights that nuclear they think is going to cost more, but if you look at the assumptions that underpin that, that's because they're assuming very high costs for the first couple of units. It doesn't factor in the cost reductions that come in after that within the window of which they're modeling. And if you were to do that, nuclear actually does start to look competitive alongside other generation technologies and with or without nuclear, and this makes the report makes it very clear with or without nuclear, a net zero pathway for the grid is still going to be significantly more expensive than not having that zero as a target.
Speaker 2: Also, there's a lot to unpack and I appreciate your insights.
Speaker 7: We'll get you on again soon. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: After the break, university bosses faced the Royal Commission and admit they were unprepared for anti Israel encampments. Welcome back, it's great to have your company coming up. The US has launched a wave of strikes against Iran after they reimposed a naval blockade. More on that with the International Panel, but first with universities under the microscope at the Royal Commission questions tonight over Qatar and its role in fueling the anti Israel culture on campuses.
Speaker 13: It's no accident that all of the protests on all of the unicampuses across Australia sound like they have the same script. Yet no one is asking the questions who helped these students write the script?
Speaker 2: Money Peerlstein is a prominent advocate against anti Semitism and joins me, Now, Money, it's great to see you. University bosses, yes, admitted they weren't prepared for the anti Israel encampments, failing to recognize the impact. But you've been arguing that this issue runs far deeper than simply student protests on campus.
Speaker 7: What can you tell us.
Speaker 6: Well, we've had lots of insipid apologies over the last couple of days, and I really fear that the Royal Commission may not cover the big picture issue here and the true root of the problem, because this has been framed as a problem that has arisen on university campuses since October the seventh, twenty twenty three, but it's actually been a growing issue for decades on university campuses throughout Australia and the West. We've had foreign regimes creating campaigns which have framed Israel as an oppressor and Palestinians as the oppressed for many, many decades. And you know, these regimes are encouraging students to believe that they are humanitarians. But if they are true humanitarians. Why are they never talking about Syria or Sudan or the Vegas in China. The only conflict we ever hear about is Israel and Gaza. And I do you know, I think that I think, yeah, we only hear about the one conflict and they should have had a long time to realize that this has been a growing issue. And I think we if we look at every single encampment, if we look at every single protest, they all do sound the same, not just in Australia but globally. It's like they are reading from a script, these students, and we need to ask who is writing the script for them. But we know that there are regimes who have a vested interest in helping students bring down Israel.
Speaker 2: Well, tell us about some of that evidence that you have uncovered that countries like tar have been using funding partnerships or soft power to really shape the debate on Western campuses.
Speaker 6: In Australia, it is a softer power. But in America, America knows that Qatar is the largest foreign funder of tertiary education. They have sunk sixty two and a half billion dollars into the American university system in Australia. We haven't uncovered that yet. It is presented in a much softer way. It's labeled collaborative research, academic alliances. It's a much it's just it's a much less aggressive form of funding. But we know that there are twenty Australia, twenty Australian universities that have links with Katari institutions and we only have forty two universities in this country. Sydney University alone had sixty five million dollars in international collaborative funds last year and that's you know, that's twice what the New South Wales government gave the university in funding. We know that the Sydney University, that Sydney University sent an academic to Iran the very same week that we were expelling our Iranian ambassador because of attacks the IRGC were found to have caused on Australian soil. So we do need to be looking at countries like Qatar who housed UMAs operatives while this war has been going on. We do need to look at the IRGC and at these kinds of regimes and ask ourselves what role they are playing in this disruption on Australian university campuses.
Speaker 2: Manie, I'd love to get your thoughts on the Royal Commission that's obviously underway at the moment and whether or not you think this will lead to lasting change or do you feel that we're missing an opportunity here to really delve into the history of anti Semitism that was starting to fester away before October seven and then that's when it really escalated from there on.
Speaker 6: I think we're very lucky that we have a Royal Commission where the only country in the world that is investigating issues in the way that we are into antisemitism. You know, other countries had the same problems throughout the West and they're not researching it and deep diving into it the way we are. But we only have an eleven month period to get to the bottom of this, and I really fear that that is not enough time to look beyond the specifics of lived experience. And that's what we're seeing with the Commission. We're seeing interviews where people are giving evidence about their lived experience and that doesn't bring into question the broader issues, you know, the generational change, decades of growing disruption on university campuses, decades of potential media bias, decades of a woke, progressive culture that has wanted to see things in a very binary way. So I am I'm worried that we won't see the change that we need to in such a short time.
Speaker 2: And just tell us what the impact is having at the moment on the Jewish community as you're going through the Royal Commission and having to listen to the harrowing testimony, and no doubt you witness yourself things on the street and what you've experienced in.
Speaker 7: Your own life.
Speaker 2: But just tell us about the feeling amongst the community as you're reliving and hearing a lot of these stories, Jamie.
Speaker 6: The feeling is an utter sadness. Some people are depressed. People come up to me in the street everyday, strangers who have never met, and many of them cry, and I've never met them before. When we're hearing stories about Jewish hospital patients feeling that they cannot put their religious identity on their admission forms because they are scared for their safety. When we're hearing about what our children go through on university campuses, and I have a university age child, and I know what I'm sending him off to It is absolutely heartbreaking. I cannot believe that this is the Australia that I grew up in.
Speaker 7: And what about your child?
Speaker 2: Has he had any issues himself when he goes on to university campuses or being a child that don't want to burden you with some of the issues that they're facing.
Speaker 6: He doesn't say a lot because he's scared it will end up on an Instagram reel. But a lot of his friends tell me stories. And I've met with members of the Australian Union of Jewish Students, so I've heard about students who have needed to be escorted to their lecture because they're worried about their safety. I've spoken to one student who has a panic button in case she has some problems getting to lectures. That there is more than one university campus in this country that has what they call a safe room where Jewish students can lock themselves in the room if they feel that they're being harassed. I've heard about lectures where lecturers have put up vote for Gaza on screens. I've heard about lectures where there have been a lot of anti Israel comments online from students and from lecturersm And you know. I just think that a non Jewish student or a non Jewish staff member can't understand how triggering that is. If you are a student sitting in a lecture thinking that you could be demonized just because you are Jewish and you happen to like Israel II.
Speaker 7: It's just it's awful.
Speaker 2: I find listening to the stories just so sad. The fact that students need to have a safe room so that they can escape what they're experiencing.
Speaker 7: This is Australia in twenty two six. It's just awful. Money. I appreciate you coming on