Speaker 1: Show good evening, And wow, did anyone watch that without tearing up, without becoming very emotional at these shocking times. That was a powerful and brilliant piece of documentary journalism. And even though we're living through this and we're watching the anti Semitism unfold on a daily basis, we're sit here each night horrified at what has happened that day, just seeing it all, seeing all the horrible racism over the past eight months now laid out like that as Josh Fridenberg so clearly laid it out. Seeing young Jewish business owners suffer, seeing school children unable to play sport, it all.
Speaker 2: Just hits home. It is devastating.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Josh Fridenberg tonight deserves huge congratulations, Anne heartfelt thanks for giving months and months of his time and his enormous energy into putting this documentary together and in putting the issue of anti Semitism at the very center of our public debate. I mean, we just saw his incredible interviews with Peter Dutton, John Howard, Dennis richardson Nova Paris, and especially Julia Gillard. But to me, one of the most powerful things from that documentary was the message of warning from the Holocaust survivors who've lived through the worst evil humanity has ever seen. Well, their warning should make every politician in this country, and especially the Prime Minister, take a long, hard look in the mirror.
Speaker 4: They need to ask themselves what more they can.
Speaker 1: Do to deal with this explosion in racism against Jews. And look, someone messaged me it's just a moment ago and I completely agree that this documentary needs to be shown at every school in the country. It should be compulsory viewing for the Greens Party, for university chancellors and for those ill informed students on campus. Josh Fridenberg, I just have to say we applaud you and we thank you, and I'm sure thousands of us cried with you tonight. And I also have to say, as a Jewish Australian, a huge thank you to my bosses here on Sky News. It was just so emotional watching that support. We'd Ocur, the Sky News Chief Executive and Mark Calvert, the director of Programming, for supporting this important documentary, for supporting Josh Fridenberg's enormous effort. It means more to Jewish Australians than we can ever say. Now Josh is going to be on the Late Debate tonight, so stay with Sky throughout the evening and if you want to watch that documentary, gain it's available on foxtail or on our skynews dot com dot Au app. And there are also longer extended interviews from the documentary, So if you want to see the full interviews with Julia Gillard or Peter Cosgrove, that's now on our website and the app for subscribers.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to come back to the documentary.
Speaker 1: I want to discuss some of the most powerful moments from Josh's documentary with my panel Bronwin Bishop and Steve Price in just a moment.
Speaker 4: But first I.
Speaker 1: Do want to get to and I do want to cover the scandal that is in broiling Channel nine and its executives.
Speaker 4: Now, this is big news.
Speaker 1: The nine network has confirmed tonight that one of their TV stars confided in a board director that negative stories about her were being leaked to the press by her own bosses during dragged out contract negotiations. Nine has also revealed that the director did not raise the complaint with the board and instead spoke to senior management at nine to address the issue. This is the latest revelation about the TV company, which is engulfed in a growing scandal surrounding sacked nine News boss Darren Wick. Now it's understood the presenter, who's a well recognized face, called the director for advice. In twenty twenty, The star's lawyer also spoke with the director in a separate conversation.
Speaker 4: Nine has confirmed that concerns.
Speaker 1: About her contract negotiations, delays and leaks.
Speaker 4: Were raised in the phone call.
Speaker 1: Now the presenter told me, and I quote, I was ringing the director because I was so mortified that confidential conversations were being leaked and mythstruths were being written. I remember saying.
Speaker 4: This is not my fault.
Speaker 1: I've done nothing wrong, and I'm getting these awful things written about me.
Speaker 2: It was really stressing. I saw it as bullying.
Speaker 1: The on air star had previously told us at Sky that she spoke to the director about how the culture was affecting her mental health and her reputation.
Speaker 4: She said, I.
Speaker 1: Once spoke in confidence to a board member expressing my desperation that my own bosses were planting lies that were incredibly damaging to my reputation and affecting my mental health. She said, there was no assistance provided to the network to source the leaks, stamp out the toxic behavior, or change the culture. She said, after board level, there's nowhere to go, and I was fearful of losing my job. And describing the culture that she experienced, the star said planting stories was commonplace during contract negotiations as a way of diminishing talent and bullying them into submission. Management would then gaslight you, saying they had no idea how confidential details that only a few were privy to were leaked. The presenter was emotional and tearful as she spoke about the desperation she felt when she made that phone call to the director, and she was left.
Speaker 4: With the impression that the issues would be dealt with. She said.
Speaker 1: The director was sympathetic and was appalled and horrified at the culture that she had detailed. The director also agreed to take a phone call from the presenter's lawyer, and her lawyer confirmed to me today that he had a conversation with the director about the challenges being experienced by the on air presenter. Now the director has also confirmed that the star had been very upset and that they had been sympathetic to her complaint and that the issue of the damaging leaks had been raised in the context of contract negotiations. It is believed that the director referred the complaint about the delays in the contract negotiations to senior management at nine and asked them to promptly and fairly deal with the matter, which was resolved to the satisfaction of the presenter, who said she did not hear from the director again.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: The director denied that the presenter had raised a wider cultural problem at the network or any specific toxic behavior. Sources close to Nine claim that the complaint by their major star and her lawyer were not raised at board level, because Nine says it was not a board matter. It's understood that the director raised the issues at the nine management level. As I mentioned now, there is a slight difference in the version of events between the on air presenter and the board director Separately.
Speaker 4: The presenter had, also.
Speaker 1: Like many other women at nine, had to put up with being allegedly groped by Darren Wick at the Logis after party in twenty nineteen. She said of Wick and I quote on the dance floor at the Gold Coast Logis after party, he was gropy. He had his hands everywhere, breathing heavily in my ear. I had to peel him off me. Any other man I might have kicked or pushed, but he was my boss. It was commonplace for him to drink heavily it functions, and he would often get in women's personal space.
Speaker 4: We were revolted by him.
Speaker 1: Now the presenter Ansky News do not suggest that the presenter raised complaints of sexual harassment or handsy behavior with the director. We are not suggesting the director was made aware of any allegations of harassment or the toxic culture he presided over where women were frozen out or ignored. But Wick has been accused of a series of instances of sexual harassment by Brave female staff. He left the company in March citing exhaustion, taking with him a payout in the high six figures. The Australian Financial Review Today published at fresh allegations about the culture at STAN under nine CEO Mike.
Speaker 4: Sneezeby, who was then chief executive at.
Speaker 1: STAN and I can tell you there was enormous shock throughout senior levels at nine Today that the chair Peter Costello and the Communications director Victoria Bucken had been seen to throw Mike Sneezeby under the bus by publicly blaming him for physically signing off on Darrenwick's payment. It was today the talk of the industry. Multiple sources interpreted the move as Costello trying to save his position as chair and to allow Sneezeby to take the fall for the crisis in golfing nine And make no mistake, the board does still have questions to answer about why a six figure payout was given to darren Wick despite the known legal action over allegations of inappropriate behavior. Now also coming up on the show tonight, labor on the back foot as Parliament resumes today with more revelations of child rapists given the green light to stay in Australia thanks to Immigration Minister Andrew Giles. Plus one defense expert says we are woefully unprepared for war amid reports China is bullying Australian MPs and how vaping ads targeting teens could actually be a front for criminals peddling hardcore drugs. Will Crime reporter Mike Murray would join me later in the hour, but now let's return to Josh Fridenberg's documentary and if you've been tuned into Sky News for the last hours.
Speaker 4: I hope you have.
Speaker 1: You would have watched his brilliant documentary Never Again the Fight against Anti Semitism. Now, the whole documentary was extraordinary, but I particularly want to highlight what former Prime Minister Julia Gillard said, have a listen.
Speaker 5: So, I think a lot of what is going on today is a distortion of history from social media. It's a misunderstanding about how Israel came into existence, It's a misunderstanding about the nature of the conflict. And because of that, I think particularly young people are developing views about this which are unbalanced and really not informed by the history in any way.
Speaker 1: All right, let's bring in my panel tonight, Sky News host Steve Price and Fromer Speaker of the House, Ron and Bishop. Are welcome to you both, Bronwin, starting with you. I think those are really strong comments from Julia Gillard, and she was incredible in that documentary. But you know, the comment about the younger generation and how they're being led astray on this appetite of racism.
Speaker 4: What did you think about that?
Speaker 6: I thought she came across so much stronger than the current Prime minister, that the comparison just shamed Albanizi, I think. And when she said the words that Germany didn't go from being a so called normal nation to crematoriums and gas chambers in the wink of an eye. She pointed out how allowing anti Semitism to grow and become as it did, embraced by all of Germany, that allowed all of that to happen was such a strong message. And the other strong message came from Peter Cosgo when he said Hitler would be proud, yes, because what's happening now. They are the inheritors of Hitler's policies. And it came via that Grand Mulfi of Jerusalem, who was Hitler's ally, who wanted to be the head of a Palestinian state and fought against the establishment Israel all those years and kept it up. So it was a very powerful documentary. It was full of the most excruciating to watch. It was particularly people who had suffered through it and survived to see it happen again.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And you know, it's the sort of project that you think that ABC would have done, the public broadcaster, the fact they haven't examined anti Semitism seriously, and that it's Sky News that has given the commitment to this project. Well, it's something I'm proud of as working for sky News, but I think it's appalling as an Australian taxpayer. Steve Price, what do you think, Well, you know what, for you was one of the most powerful or emotional moments from Josh's documentary.
Speaker 7: Well, congratulations to everyone involved.
Speaker 8: It's one of the most.
Speaker 7: Powerful pieces of documentary TV I've seen in a very long time, and I've seen plenty of them. I think what I took out of it is Josh Frodenberg has been very sick, seriously affected, like most Jews in Australia by what's happened since October seven, and I think putting together so many examples of the anti Semitism that has exploded across Australia that is going to shock all non Jews who watched that show tonight. And I agree with you that it should be shown widely in schools and universities. But like Bromin, when you see those Holocaust survivors who have come to Australia, many of them as young people, they were children during World War Two. For them, you can just see the horror on their faces, because they're the ones that know how bad it was back in the nineteen thirties and they, in their wildest nightmares, would never have thought that in twenty twenty four you would have seen this in Australia. I know how emotional you are about it. Chari is an Australian Jew. I think for non Jewish people who watched that tonight, none of us and understand what the young people of this country, and they are predominantly young, who are in these pro Palestine rallies, what the hell they think they're doing.
Speaker 1: And I do think it's very comforting and I strongly believe this that mainstream Australians, you know, hate what's going on. They hate the lack of leadership over this.
Speaker 2: Now moving on, at ABC board members.
Speaker 1: Have held crisis discussions after their star political correspondent Laura Tingle's comments that Australians are all racist and that Peter Dutton is you know, driving racism will this drew national condemnation. Yesterday, The Australian newspaper reports that it's possible a meeting will be brought forward from June to discuss the.
Speaker 2: Pr damage that she's caused.
Speaker 4: Bronwin.
Speaker 1: Look, the ABC is also set to face set it estimates on Thursday, so you'd expect that this issue will be raised.
Speaker 6: Certainly, absolutely, and I think they need to take a good look at the charter once again and the obligations of directors. They have a responsibility to do something about this, and the fact that Laura Tingle is a member of that board means that she'll have to recuse herself from attending that board meeting so that they can take action. I agreed with the statement that Peter Dutton made. How can she possibly be the main commentator on the forthcoming election with any degree of impartiality at all. She is totally and utterly biased and locked into a position which is not in conformity with the charter, and the directors have an obligation under the Corporation's Act, the ABC Act, to do something about it. The problem is, of course, that the Act provides that you can't take them to court to make them do it. I'd remove those provisions.
Speaker 4: No, exactly.
Speaker 1: Look, the point is, fine, have an opinion, but then don't be an impartial journalist.
Speaker 2: Have an opinion, show absolutely like I do at the moment here.
Speaker 1: Now, defense policy expert Paul Dibb has painted a grim picture of Australia's security, claiming that we're underprepared for potential threats. He said in an interview with The Odds that the gap between government promises and actual delivery anytime soon means we are saddled with a peacetime ADF about the same size as it was thirty eight years ago, and with no real capacity to expand quickly. Steve, Look, this is an indictment on both sides of politics really, because we're only in this position because successive governments haven't invested properly in our defense.
Speaker 7: One hundred percent. I mean both sides that are blame. This is an a job problem. It's not something that has just happened under this government or even the previous Morrison turbul governments. It's happened forever. The one of the stats that stood out today, Shari, which I found really would cheat at home to people. The entire numbers in the Australian Defense Force would only fill half of the MCG, which has a seating capacity of around one hundred and five thousand people. So we've got sixty thousand in total in our defense force. They don't have the right equipment. We don't have the submarines and the first of the subs, the new sub's not going to be here till twenty thirty five. Ships are not going to be here till the end of the decade. We have aging aircraft. We don't have young people who are putting their hands up to join the defense force. We are completely underprepared. Paul Dibbs one hundred percent right. But Jim Molan was saying this when he was alive, and he wrote a book about it which everyone should read. The governments don't seem to want to have anything to do with this. It's just crazy stuff. I just hope Peter Dutton and the lead up to the election, you know lazy's promises out very clearly and puts money against them so that we can actually defend this country if we need to.
Speaker 1: And this is the scary thing, Briannwhan, is that you know, we're seeing an increasingly aggressive China. We're seeing so much volatility in different parts of the world, and the truth is Australia does need the US to help defend us. We couldn't defend ourselves from an attack from China.
Speaker 4: You know, God forbid, it doesn't happen.
Speaker 6: Absolutely true. But that's why I've been so disappointed that Miles has been allowed to get away with this statement or we're giving more money for defense. The promise is for fifty billion in ten years time, five point seven billion at the end of the forward estimates. That's four years away before a penny is spent. The rod really began when we built the frigates, the Anzac class frigates, and we built them for but not with so they didn't have many almaments on them. And I when I was Defense Industry Minister, made a statement in a particular speech that said we've made excellent floating targets. Well that really caused us. But to give how it is credit only defense was spared cuts in that first year, the first term of government, and we did increase spending. Now things have gone on since then, but there has been in this government a complete failure. Paul Dibb's quite right, and I knew Paul given those years, and Paul Dibb is quite right that this government has no stomach for increasing the effectiveness of our defense force.
Speaker 4: But we needed to order equipment long ago.
Speaker 1: I mean we order it now we have a long range missiles decade, two decades. It's going to take a long time, all right, Grodman, Bishop and Steve Price, thank you both so much for your time tonight. Now coming off, Immigration Minister Foster front Parliament today after failing to keep the community safe from criminals.
Speaker 4: I'll discuss this after the break.
Speaker 1: Welcome back now to the topic that dominated question time today and it was certainly heated.
Speaker 4: Been revealed that three.
Speaker 1: Child rapists were allowed to stay in Australia under the so called Direction ninety nine that was issued by Andrew Giles in January last year.
Speaker 4: Now, in at least one.
Speaker 1: Of these cases, deportation was avoided because of a factor in Direction ninety nine, which means the strength of a person's ties to Australia can help revoke the cancelation of their visa. It's a clause that's been used by dozens of serious offenders to help them stay in Australia under Andrew Giles as minister. Now the opposition is arguing that at once this direction torn up and they say the Immigration Minister needs to be sacked as a result.
Speaker 9: The Alberzi Labor government's wading down of the law has allowed this criminal to stay in Australia, making our country less safe. When will the Alberdesi Labor government apologize for this catastrophic mistake in reverse Direction ninety nine?
Speaker 10: Our thoughts there, of course with the victims in this case, and in saying that, of course, community safety remains our highest priority as a government. I remind the lead of the Opposition in all members that this was a visa that was canceled and remain canceled by my department in line with Ministerial Direction ninety nine. I believe that it's a decision that should still be canceled, and I advised the House also that I have prioritized a number of cases for urgent cancelation consideration.
Speaker 1: A National's leader, David little Proud joins me. Now, David, thank you for your time. So the argument is around this measure, this factor in the Immigration Minister's powers. That mean, if someone's ties to Australia are strong enough, so not necessarily citizenship, but ties to Australia. It seems it doesn't actually matter how bad their crimes are, they're protected from being deported.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 2: And what exactly do you want changed here?
Speaker 11: Well, this was added and this is an important aspect to understand. This was added to give weighted the same weight as that of the severity of the crime, the fact that they may have been in this country for many years. And it was a concession given by Anthony Albanesi. So it's not just Andrew Giles that the blame needs to sit at the feet of. It's also Anthony Albanesi in the deal that he cut with Justine Adern, the former New Zealand Prime Minister, in allowing Kiwis to stay here that had criminal pass and it was all about appeasing New Zealand rather than keeping Australian safe. And by giving that extra waiting and giving it equality in waiting to the other four criteria has meant that these anomalies have allowed to happen where Australians have been put at risk and horrific crimes have in some cases allegedly still to take in case others have been proven. And it's something that we believe should be torn up. This is something that is just another layer of a litany of errors that this minister and this has made, whether it be through this in watering down the laws or whether it be learning out one hundred and fifty three detainees after the High Court in June last year gave them full warning by a Preliminary Findings hearing, saying that they were going to let these detainees out, but yet did nothing about doing anything in a in a proactive way in bringing forward legislation to protect Australians. So this minister hasn't shown any intent, hasn't shown any interest in this and unfortunately Australians are hurting because of it.
Speaker 1: Now, just to clarify under this direction, so are you arguing that even if a person has strong ties to Australia, which could include indigenous heritage, you're saying they should still be deported.
Speaker 11: Well, now this is where they have dual citizenship and in fact where they have been built or in this country or don't have dual citizenship. But I've come to this country on a visa and in fact have committed a crime. And what previously was the case, there wasn't a waiting given with respect to the time that they had been here. What happened was that there was a concession given to increase that as a fifth determinant, a fifth criteria to waiting in the same extent as what the extent of the crime, whether it be domestic violence, rape or murder.
Speaker 7: Now that's not that's not so.
Speaker 1: Would you still keep the provision but just change the waiting?
Speaker 11: Well, I think that's what we need to work through as.
Speaker 4: You don't have a view at this point.
Speaker 1: You don't have a view at this point that the provision would go.
Speaker 11: Well, the challenge comes with the High Court finding and obviously working within the confines of the High High Court finding that came down in October November that we have to work within. But that is one quick administrative way that the government could actually remove this quite quite quickly.
Speaker 1: We have to clarify, you're not suggesting removing it, you're suggesting changing the waiting.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 11: If it could be worked within the confines of the finding of the High Court, then obviously we'd work with the government with respect to that. But if we can't, then would why would you take away this waiting as quickly as you possibly could. That's something a directive of the government could do immediately, all right.
Speaker 1: Look, Foreign Minister Pennywoe has raised concerns over China's military drills after exercising a show of force around Taiwan.
Speaker 4: Let's have a look.
Speaker 8: In recent weeks we have expressed our deep concern about unsafe, unprofessional and unacceptable incidents involving the PLA Navy. We have seen large scale Chinese military operations in the Taiwan Straight becoming a routine event. The risk of an accident and potential escalation is growing.
Speaker 1: David, Look, this is becoming risk here. We've seen several incidents now where there has been Chinese aggression towards members of Australia's and personnel.
Speaker 4: What do you think the government needs to do?
Speaker 11: What we concur with the statements that the FOREIGNUS is making. I think it's important that those statements are made very forcefully to directly to the leaders, and the Prime Minister himself needs to step up and to make that call with the President of China. We've seen sub mariners, we've seen some of our pilots put at risk in international waters to the extent they shouldn't and that's where strong leaderships required in drawing a line in the sand and making it very clear that that's not acceptable. While we want to turn the page with our relationship with China, that comes with mutual respect, but that's also about respecting the law of the international of the sea and international air and making sure that our servicemen and women are protected as are there and that there are any provocations that are undertaken by their side, and that needs to be clearly enunciated as the President and the Prime Minister, while being asked in Parliament, hasn't been able to articulate that whether he's made that call to President She and if he hasn't, why hasn't he. These Australian servicemen and women are prepared to put their souls on the line for us. The Prime Minister should stand with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, all right, David little Proud, thank you very much for joining me this evening. Now, earlier this week we saw Hamas launch eight rockets.
Speaker 4: Into Tel Aviv.
Speaker 1: This was the first time in months and it raises concerns that the terror organization is still capable of long distance attacks. It prompted an Israeli air strike into the southern Gaza city of Rafa, which has killed two senior Hamas terrorists and tragically forty five civilians were also killed.
Speaker 4: Now let's have a look.
Speaker 12: In Rafa. We have already evacuated about a million non involved residents, and despite our best efforts not to harm the non involved, unfortunately a technical failure happened last night. We're investigating the case. We will present the conclusions because this is our policy.
Speaker 1: And that's Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and I'm joined now by Israeli politician Sharon Haskell in Israel. Sharon, thank you for joining us once again. Look, can you tell us how these civilian deaths occurred and what's the lightest with the ongoing ongoing IDF movement into Rafa.
Speaker 13: First of all, it's important to note, Shary, we've been discussing now for months about in operation in Rafa, trying to get as many civilians away from it. We've worn we've opened safe crossings for them to actually cross to another area save zone, but unfortunately as Hamas is using them as a human shield, some of them and many of them actually decided to actually stay. And so we continue to reiterate and say over and over again, anyone in Rafa needs to go out. There are safe zone, there are safe areas, safe passage where they can actually move into other refugees, safe zones and safe area.
Speaker 1: They are your reports that that the civilians are choosing not to choosing not to evacuate, or is Hamas actually blocking their exit.
Speaker 13: Hamas in many cases is actually threatening them and blocking as well. I mean we've seen them in many occasions shooting with snipers people who are trying to flee from the war area. So it is very very difficult. Hamas know that they need to be surrounded by children, by women, and they in the hope that that what's going to save them, and so many operations that were canceled were exactly because of that. But we need to understand Hamas fired rockets into our main cities, major cities where thousands could have been injured, and Ramasi is firing them from safe zones, from humanitarian areas, from United Nations facilities and schools. This is what it's actually using as a military bases to fire those rockets. And so in the video that was published as well, and I've actually sent that to you as well, just a few minutes ago, you see the areas of where the event actually happened, okay, and you see a big fire and then you see a secondary explosion. That secondary explosion was ammunition and rockets that was on a car delivering them in order to be fired into the state of Israel, into major cities, into children's schools and kindergartens. And so I mean, in this event, Israel needs to defend itself, it needs to defend its children. And this is a very unfortunate event and we are trying to avoid as much as possible civilian casualties, but unfortunately Hamas is actually using them and abusing them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, very well said.
Speaker 1: Now, in Australia we have a national broadcaster funded by the taxpayer, and the ABC has described Hermas's rocket attacks on Tel Aviv just on Sunday night, and this was in a social media post as a show of resilience.
Speaker 4: A show of resilience.
Speaker 1: That's an ABC social media post describing the terrorist group for Mussa's attack.
Speaker 4: On Israel just on Sunday night. What's your response to this, Sharon.
Speaker 13: Haskoo, This is it's heartbreaking, and I think you know it's it's things that it's very difficult to understand. And I'll explain to you why the war that Israel is fighting right now is not just a war against Hamas. This is a war again Iran Iran that's trying to push through Risbella radical Islam throughout the world. It's here in Israel, it's in Europe, it's in your home as well in Australia. You've seen, you've seen that, you've experienced that, and so we have to fight together radical Islam. What you're seeing the military training of China, North Korea, Russia and Iran show how much their appetite has grown because their propaganda works. I mean, those people that you see chanting these things in the streets like any mean, is any mean necessary? Means that murdering, raping, burning children is somehow can be justified. I mean, this is absolute idiot in the service of radical Islam. And you know what, it's coming to your front door. It's coming to your front door all around the world. And those people who see that, those useful idiots chanting and demonstrating for them to push their public opinions and their theories and the ideas of radical Islam. Where you can see in the United States the youth trying to somehow, you know, feel compassion to Asama bin Laden and actually justifying some of these actions. This is how they are using social media and how they're using the media. There are documents that are showing how the Muslim Brotherhood is trying to infiltrate that this course of the extreme left. It's been shown in a few United States courts. And you know what, I'm sure some of your intelligence forces are very aware of that and can actually show that in Parliament if there'll be an in depth discussion about what is happening right now.
Speaker 4: And that should be and there isn't.
Speaker 1: Sharon Hasko always love having you on the program. You tell it like it is your social strong Thank you very much for joining us. Now coming up the blow the blow up between Mark Dreyfus and Mikaylia Cash the cause the shadow Attorney General to.
Speaker 4: Storm out of a meeting.
Speaker 2: I'll have a look at this with my political.
Speaker 4: Panel after the break. Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Well, my colleague Andrew Clonell revealed a huge blow up today between Mikaylia Cash, who said she was forced to walk out of a meeting with her counterpart in the government, Attorney General, Mark Dreyfus. This was all over Labour's religious freedom legislation. After the meeting, here was Mikaylia Cash. She said, I was appalled by mister Dreyfus's behavior. Mister Dreyfus needs to stop playing games with his religious discrimination legislation. As I told Dreyfus, he needs to take on board the feedback he has received from the faith communities and release his legislation publicly. All right, bring in tonight's panel and let's start with headline advisory director and from a media advisor to Scott Morrison Andrew Carswell, Andrew, what do you make of this debate and which side of it do you agree with?
Speaker 14: Well, I certainly know Shari who I would back in that verbal staush and it's not the great pomposity that is the Attorney General. I think Macaulay has made a good stand here and she's made a righteous stantee and excuse the pun on that she's made a stand against what is an increasing secrecy within the government when it comes to the formation of its policies. It gets all these people to come in and sign non disclosure agreements and it won't release these details in public. And now it's begging for the Coalition to sign up to this deal without it being made public. On religious discrimination bill, you know, without even having a look at it. They want to have a bipartisanship approach all of a sudden because they want to get it off the table. They don't want to fight. They don't to fight any issues in the next six to Todd and the lead up to this election. So good. I'm Michaulia for taking up a fight here and pushing back on what is creeping secretive behavior by this government.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've seen that secrecy andrew in so many different pieces of legislation. Now I'm in in tani PLEBUSX Nature positive legislation. Industry groups had to leave their phones and laptops outside the room when they went in to even look at the legislation. Liz, this secrecy in especially about legislation that's categorically in the public interest and that should be ventilated and debated in public. I mean, this secrecy is designed just to protect the government.
Speaker 15: Indeed, and this is a government that was elected on adnauseum promises of transparency.
Speaker 4: Transparency.
Speaker 15: Our middle name is going to be transparency, particularly with regards to something as important as religious discrimination, which many faith groups are extremely worried about this because what we've been told was going to be in a previously obviously this has been better around for years now, was simply not going to cut the mustard. Personally, I think it's absolutely appalling that government is taking it upon themselves to dictate what Christian schools can and can't do, who they can and can't hire, making it issues of discrimination, instead of just allowing religious groups faith bodies to decide for themselves how to practice their ethos, how to practice their values. And what seems very obvious every time this comes up, it's the same religious bodies, namely Christians and Catholics, that are getting whacked by it. They're not laying down the law on say, Muslim schools, which obviously they would never expect to hire someone who doesn't uphold their ethos. It's always the Judeo Christian values that seem to be getting the short end of the stick whenever this particular government talks about making laws around these things.
Speaker 1: Well, as we've mentioned, it was a busy day in Parliament in Canberra, and yet again, I mean, this is a week when the government would have wanted to be speaking about and promoting its budget and its various tax carts, but yet again the issue was their ongoing detainee drama. And again the Immigration Minister, Andrew Giles was the focus Andrew Carswaller. It just seems like Anthony ALBINIZI is not prepared to move on Giles, even when we have the case of child rapists staying in Australia thanks to a ministerial direction. And yet you know, every parliamentary sit in week is eaten up by this scandal. I mean, at what point is the Prime Minister actually going to do something about this.
Speaker 14: Well, he won't move Shari because Andrew Giles is Olbo's mate, a very close mate and a backup for many many years. So there'll be no moves here. And this continues, this stubborn approach that the Prime Minister has on these issues. He'll let them fester, and by word, they are festering, and they are getting worse and worse. And look, I know there's plenty of calls from the coalition here to call for this guy to be sacked, and that's fair enough in light of all the things that have happened, but they almost need him to stay there. I mean, they are making hay out of this situation and just keep him there, keep him funneling, fundling all these issues. And there's going to be more to come out as well, So we need him there to be their front and center in order for this scandal to go on. But it just this continues to plague the government and they just can't avoid it. And yes, they should move on him, but I hope they don't.
Speaker 1: Well, fine, it's good for the coalition, but Lisa, it's a serious issue for community safety because we've already seen that some of the released detainees have allegedly bashed a grandmother, others have there been dozens of offenses.
Speaker 15: Yeah, over thirty of them have already reoffended. And what a surprise that hardened criminals aren't magically trend formed upon being released by some move.
Speaker 4: By the High Court.
Speaker 15: So this was always to be expected really, And the fact that Giles hasn't moved on Direction ninety nine, the government's now talking as if they're a victim of their own doing, which is utter nonsense. And as we heard from Senator James Patterson earlier this evening, the PM will never come down on Giles about Direction ninety nine because he himself, the Prime Minister, was also directly involved in said direction. And we just keep hearing from this government namely Giles, that I'm just going to continue to keep the community safe and keep doing what I'm doing. We need you to do something drastically different, like actually keep the community safe in d The other question is in the lead up to an election, is he simply waiting? Is the PM simply waiting for the.
Speaker 16: Bulk of this to blow over before he replaces Giles so that he can go into an election cycle with a new face, a new name, and promises of oh, it's all going to be smooth sailing going forward.
Speaker 1: But we are hearing increasing talk about a ministerial reshuffle, so induringly surprised if Andrew.
Speaker 2: Giles is one of those shuffled along.
Speaker 1: Now it's been revealed that the Chinese government bullied Australian politicians who attended a pro Taiwan event. Eleven MPs received a letter sent by an unnamed government official after they celebrated the inauguration of Taiwan's new president, and the letter suggested that these politicians could be putting Australia's ties with China at risk. Andrew Carswell, I mean this is kind of open bullying of politicians and maybe our foreign policy does need to change.
Speaker 4: To recognize Taiwan more formally.
Speaker 14: Well, I think Shari's it's certainly coercion, there's no doubt about that. But I find this quite humorous actually. I mean we've gone We've gone from a situation where the Chinese governor officials were openly bullying nations from the pulpit in Beijing, openly calling out countries for misbehaving and treating China poorly and the ramifications to come from that, and they were doing that on the world stage. And now suddenly we've moved to this posture of I'm going to write a strongly worded email to some politicians that nobody really knows of apart from Paul Fletcher. I think it's an indication of how different that they're starting to approach these issues. But yes, it is still a former bullying. Yes, it is coercion, and we should be alarmed at that practice, despite the fact that it is quite embarrassing on their part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Andrew Carswell list, I thank you both so much of your time in Lis. Will of course see you at ten o'clock tonight with.
Speaker 4: Josh Bridenberg on your show. Yes, can't wait for that.
Speaker 1: Now after the break, a desperate search underway from mother and newborn baby after discover bring evidence of a riverside birth in Sydney. Plus how facebook page is selling illegal vapes could have links to drug dealers.
Speaker 4: Crime reporter Mark Murray will be on Live next.
Speaker 1: When New South Wales police are desperately searching for a mum and her newborn baby after signs of a birth.
Speaker 2: Were discovered on the banks of a river.
Speaker 4: In Sydney's in A West.
Speaker 1: The New Southell's Health Minister issued a plea to the mother.
Speaker 7: You're not in trouble.
Speaker 3: You don't have to talk to the police. The only thing I ask that you do is make you way to one of our hospitals so that we can care for you and your baby as quickly as possible.
Speaker 1: All right, The Daily Telegraphs Crime editor Mark Murray joins me, Now, Mark, you know, giving birth is so difficult to think a poor mum had to, for whatever reason, deliver a baby on the banks of a river is really really worrying.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 17: It's the police are very very concerned and as you said, they're the health minister.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 17: The New South Wales Police have made repeated please that if anybody knows who the mother is or if the mother's out there, just let them know, again stressing no one's in trouble. They are doing tests on the placenta that was found there yesterday afternoon to try and establish if the survivability is the words that are possibly being used. But again they're worried about the health of both mother and the baby, so it's a bit of a desperate race to try and make sure that both are okay.
Speaker 1: When you use the word survivability, and you know, we know that police divers were called in today, So does this mean they actually don't know what they suspect the baby and the mum might be in the river.
Speaker 17: They're not such in anything like that at the moment. But as I said that, they are doing some tests on the placenter and from that they can actually figure out from what I can gather, perhaps how whether one the baby was alive when born, to how long it may have been along, you know, So they can find out a lot of things now with DNA, it's quite amazing. But they're obviously their concern is the health and weather the baby has survived and the mother is not seriously ill.
Speaker 1: Now, Mike, you've got a story breaking in the Daily Telegraph tomorrow about another shocking display of youth crime.
Speaker 4: What can you tell us? What news can you break? Right here?
Speaker 17: So in Dubo on a Wednesday or Thursday, a car was stolen by nobody. It was stolen. The next day it was found by police. Police seize it, put it in the police compound. That night somebody broke in and stole that car back again. It was then used in seven break ins a couple of police chasers before it was somebody was arrested. Now a thirteen year old girl has been arrested. She was on bail for similar offenses, but she's now been granted bail again. Police refuse police bail. She went before the children's court while on bail. Are now involved in stealing a carpetent from a police compound and allegedly being involved in breaking then as and a police chase. She's actually now been granted bail again. Now she was there's apparently a seventeen year old male who's actually one of the major figures in this crime spree. But she's definitely involved. And again bail and bail the police lock them up and for them they just find it this cycle. They just don't know what to do. They arrest these teenagers on these crime sprees and then they're back out again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that is incredibly brazen to break into a police compound and shocking that it's a thirteen year old girl. So frustrating for police. You can only imagine that they keep liking people up who are then at least yet again.
Speaker 4: And there's this youth.
Speaker 1: Crime problem that's really right now targeting, you know, affecting most states across the country.
Speaker 17: It is across the country, as I said, you know, it's not just in these in country towns. It's a similar situation in metropolitan areas across the country as you said. And again I think the courts apparently, and they're not helping it, you know, And you can imagine police frustration. I think there will be some police going, you know, why are we going to bother locking them up, because that's going to get out again, and you know, why are we doing it? It's just paperwork and it's not doing any good. There has to be some sort of longer term solution to try and abate youth crime. It literally is one of the major problems in this country at the moment I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: Indeed, all right, Mark Murray, thank you so much. Now I'll see you tomorrow night at eight pm. But right now, here's Paul Murray.