Speaker 1: Hi'm my Boris, and this is straight talk.
Speaker 2: When you're a boxer, you know, when you go somewhere size are the top, you know, you're like, oh, how am I going to approach? How how am I ever be there? Am I going to?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm going to do?
Speaker 2: So I've met him a few times and there's a way to beat him. Boxing is what I do. It's like a religion to me. I've grown up in the sport. I'm i first one at eight years old. Well my whole life training, running, punching bag, sparring. To get to the top is a freaking long journey. It's hard, man, It's a very lonely, hard road. But I was never stressed. I always seen the light at the end of the tunnel, you know what I mean. Like, I always knew what the goal was, and that was the wind world title, get on the big stages. So now that I'm here, good, I'm the best cruise way in the world. I want these belts around my waist. I'm chasing unification. What there's me and Ramiroz. You know they say, well the top, that's what.
Speaker 1: Joe Battire. Well, we're doing straight talk made man straight up. I know that Polynesian surnames are often pronounced wrong by people like me, So how do I actually say your surname? Give it a go opataia.
Speaker 2: Opa tyle thank you, because a lot of people say oh.
Speaker 1: And in your language, we're in the Simon language, is always I always pronounced as opposed to oh, is that right?
Speaker 2: Is that right? He's more fuss I'm half fuzzy. So I'm learning myself.
Speaker 1: But it's pretty important because, like I've noticed in the Raby League circles now that commentators have really been careful to say the name, probably because there's sort of like send me disrespectful. I'm not get it for my surname. People pronounced my used to pronounce my surname wrong when I was younger. It's and I iced to think, fuck me, get it right, Like it's not that hard, but maybe it is hard for people who don't you know, don't don't know the pronunciation. But I just want to make sure it's right. So that's a that's not and so welcome mate, like it's and by the way, mum and dad, so obviously from your surname, your dad's Polynesian someone and your mum's an aus woman. Are they from Sydney or where from?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They actually grew up around.
Speaker 1: Around the Dalla area where our studios are just here and there.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, they grew up you know, they lived at the cross where we lived that I was born out in Westmead. We lived in a flat in Parramauta for a while and then yeah, we made them move to the Central Coast. So I'm a Central Coast boy at heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and actually not only a Central Boys Coast boy at heart. But you're a world champion in real turn, like absolute world champion. You've defended your title as well, so like well done made Because Jeff Phoanix is a good friend of mine, had told me that as far as he's concerned, and this is, you know, come from a legend that you probably are the most promising Australian fighter in the last ten years. And that's a big rap come from Fannick Jeff.
Speaker 2: Phoenix, you know, a legend of the sport, you know, and not just here in Australia. Man, he's well known all over the world, so you know that's a massive compliment.
Speaker 1: And he did train for well, they didn't he he managed me for a while he managed you yeah yeah, yeah, because and I'm going to take you back a little while and said something outside about it. But there was a his father was a good fighter too, But there was a young fellow here in Australia called willis a bit bigger than you. I think it would have been a heavyweight division. You would have been like you would have been in your nineties. In terms of chillos. He's probably in those days. He probably of one hundred and ten, six foot five. But I remember watching you spa with went for neck invite to me, and I watched watch his spa A much bigger guy, willis Man, and this is I'm going to take this somewhere in a moment. Obviously a heavyweight and a very experienced fighter, and as was his father, father fought for the war title. Do you remember those younger years when used to just jumping with anybody who would be put in.
Speaker 2: Front of you. Definitely, they've you know, molded my path. You know, there's like the apprenticeship of where I am today. And you know, special shout out to willis Man. He was like a brother growing up to me. You know, we grew up on the Central coast together. We were never allowed to go to the same school. Why not, Oh, just because we used to run a mark you know who were back in the day. But I tried to get into his school and that wasn't you know, going there. Yeah. So, but yeah, we spend plenty of time together. Man, We've done thousands around together, you know, hundreds. We grew up moving around together, and we grew up developing at one stage. You know, he's always been a tall dude. He was a bit skinnier, but and he really sort of shot off and man, he's a big boy.
Speaker 1: He was like six foot five or something like that. But for someone like you know, you're six or two or something like that. You're not small, by the way, but you're a proper cruise ofweight, you know, like, I don't know what you're normally walking around there, but you can obviously get down a cruiser. Willis is someone like him heavyweight. Does that sort of prepare you for perhaps fighting heavyweights in the future.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Well, I've always just moved around with heavyweights, you know, I've always you know, I even moved around with the old men Cully. You know, when you getting ready for fights and you know, just my old man was old school. You know. He would dad chuck me in with whoever, you know, and and that's all he was sort of taught the fight and taught the train. Was just you know, he told me stories about his old man. It didn't matter what weight they were. Everyone was aspiring everyone, and you know, you just got to learn to adapt to those styles. I feel like it sort of gives you more ammunition for when you do need that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Because stepping up a division, not many strains have done that. I mean, Panic did. He went up three divisions. But when you've got a fourth division in the end, which is the Zoom and Elson fight, which they awarded him post the fight, like twenty years later, thirty years later, whatever it is, but not many strains have done it. Are they? Are they ambitions of fighters? I had Drinkers Duplessus in here last week, which is who is the the UFC middleweight champion. He's talking about going up at division two? A dream going up a division, it's sort of proving yourself. Is that something that boxes do as well?
Speaker 2: Definitely? Well, once I've completed, you know, everything I've needed to do in the cruiseweight division. I feel like that is the next step, you know, going up to heavyweight, and I do lose weight to go down and cruiser, so I feel like I can make both weights comfortably. You know, You've got to change a few things in your training, but man, it's something I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: So when are you walking around it? What are you walking around it?
Speaker 2: Umm, probably walk around about ninety eight ninety nine kilos like comfortably, you know. But I can drop the weight easy, you know, like I don't struggle too bad, I don't. You know. I used to be bad back in the day when I was a lot more unprofessional, and you know, you wouldn't eat for two days trying to sweat at their hearts, sitting and sawn as It's used to be painful. But now now now it's good. You know, I eat the day before Wayne, and you know, we're very professional now.
Speaker 1: So if I could just you know, because you units probably don't quite understand this, but so cruse it just sell us a cruise weight Wayne, Wayne weight is.
Speaker 2: So cruise weight weight is ninety points seven.
Speaker 1: So just yeah, just okay, just under ninety one killers. So you've got to you walk around at ninety eight ninety nine. You've got to drop a kilos. You say, you can do that quite comfortably. When you look at someone like Usik, who's the current heavyweight champion, you're now occupying his previous division, the cruiseweight champion division. You look at someone like him, you look at someone like him. I don't think he'd be much bigger than you.
Speaker 2: No, he's not too much better. I reckon, he's moment an inch half an inch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've.
Speaker 2: When you're when you're a boxer, you know, when you go somewhere his size and everyone up all the time, all the time. How am I gonna you know, I approach? How am I going to beat him? How am I going to you know what I'm gonta do? So I've met him a few times, and you know I've stood next to him, So there's a way to beat him.
Speaker 1: That's as a fighter yours, you are actually sizing them up. You're I mean, I'm not in an aggressive way, but you think he's Well, if I have to jump in with this bloke, you know, I'm sort of just getting his shape. I'm understanding. I'm sort of profiling him, sort of thing, you know, with your brain your profile on the guy. Do you feel confident about it? You know, like do you You obviously watch his fights, that's different, that's the style. You watch his style, but just in terms of his physicality when you meet him, you think to yourself, Man, I reckon, like, I don't feel overpowered. I feel like, you know, I might be a chance here.
Speaker 2: Definitely. I feel like everyone's beatable, you know what I mean? And I feel like, you know, you train right, you prepare properly, and you know, I just feel like everyone's beatable.
Speaker 1: Man, that's a pretty positive mindset. I mean, how do you grow a positive mindset because you're a pretty mind getting you a pretty shy guy, like because you're not one of those cocky guys out there, Karen On, you're not aconom mc gregor style person in terms of you know, like up front, how do you develop your positive mindset about like that type positive mindset?
Speaker 2: Boxing is what I do? You know? Boxing is like boxing is honestly, like it's like a religion to me, you know what I mean. Like it's just I've grown up in the in the sport, I've fought people all over the world. I've it's like another language to me, you know what I mean. So I feel like there's just the way to beat everyone, and I feel like, because I've done it for my whole life, I just feel I just feel like I want to find out that way to beat him and I can do it, you know what I mean. I gotta sort of execute what's right and wrong minimum mistakes and then and then I can. I personally feel like I can just beat everyone if I fight smart. But if if you don't fight smart and you make one mistake, you're.
Speaker 1: Gone, because it only takes one punch. One punch, yeah, and it could be just a bit of a careless error. You've got to be on who else is left in your division now that you would like to aim up against. The last win was pretty convincing. Where to from here?
Speaker 2: I'm chasing belts.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: There's a Mexican guy, Ramirez that that I'm really going.
Speaker 1: To fight my belts.
Speaker 2: You hold, he's got the w B O and the w B A.
Speaker 1: So you've got the ib F and you've got the ring magazine. Yeah, yep, so you wanted you're chasing w B O w B A. That would be next.
Speaker 2: I want that w BO, you know, and then there's a WBC who I think he's an African fellow, who's got that? So I mean, honestly, I don't. I'm not I'm not like chasing fighters, you know what I mean, Like, I don't even I don't even watch these fighters unless I have to, you know what I mean. The only fighters I watch is if i'm if I'm learning of someone, you know that I'm adding to my game. I don't really watch people just for the fun of it, because I live the sport, you know what I mean, Like, I don't so one of my home I just like to relax. Otherwise, when I'm watching boxing, I'm thinking about it too much. I'm like, I should be about.
Speaker 1: The gym, you know, so you start obsessing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seriously, that's what it is. That's a I always say it's a blessing any curse, you know what I mean that that same sort of thing that can make you, you know that that drives you and pushes you, can also make you can do it too much or you know you can you can shift it the wrong way or something like that.
Speaker 1: So well, So I watched you at Luna Park many years ago. Yeah, I went with Jeff and and I look at yours, and you know, they're all saying styles, wind fights. Your style now compared then? And I said, think myself, this kid when I watch you, that this kid could do anything that sort of thing. You're pretty young. Then it must be like eight years ago, seven, eight years ago when you're fought to Lunar Park. And but I thought you just didn't give. I felt like he's your cruising. Yeah, I thought he just it's too easy for you. How have you changed your style?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And what was it that sort of got you to say I could be world champion? I am world champion. What change style? Who changes style?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't to be honest, I wouldn't say he's changed my style. It's just I adapt to what I need to adapt to, you know what I mean. I feel like that's what makes me. You know that that's what separates good from great in the ring. Is It's not it's not how good you are at one style. It's being able to adapt to someone who's a heavy puncher, being able to adapt to someone that's a fast puncher, counterpuncher, you know, like it's it's it's adapting in the ring. You know, like even all these game plans and stuff like that, like going in with a game plan that, yeah, we go in with like little game plan and we work on certain punches that we feel like are going to land more. But and we just perfect the craft. You know, minimum mistakes is what our main focus is.
Speaker 1: So you train not to lose in other words, but something so would you say you're a defense, you're working on your defense, or you just make sure you stay. That could be distance, that could be anything, but is that something that is really important to you, and then you come for the kill when it's time to come for the kill. It's just a balance of everything, you know. It's no one thing in particular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not one thing in particular. You know, Like you look at my last fight, it was we punched on like there was no backwards that the fight before that, the guy didn't even touch me, you know, I boxed his ears off. So it's like, you need to be able to do what needs to be done, and I feel like the key to it all is strength and strength and fitness, you know, like you need to be able to adapt to any style you need to. But if you're not fit enough to do it, then that's when shit goes out the window.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting your I mean, and you know we're talking about Jeff Nick probably one of the fittest fighters ever in history according to Johnny Lewis. Anyway, you know, fitness is a big deal. Can you give us a sense of when you are in your training, when you're in camp, for example, you know what can be your twelve week period? Least, say you've got a fight coming up and you know, you know three months would you start your fight camp three months out? Or I know you're always training, but like when you're stay getting serious.
Speaker 2: And we'll stay active, you know, we sort of stay fit and we keep our body moving. But as soon as they give me the call, you know, as soon as they call me, Well, when we train, we train, you know what I mean, Like we don't go through the motions like we we chase pain, you know what I mean. Like you've got to train smart when you're training hard like that otherwise your body, you know what I mean, you need to be on top of your recovery. I'm lucky. I've got good people around me, you know, Like what a great performance coach Mark Matthew, I got my boxing coach Taps I got my assistant coach carry and as a team. You know, they you know, if it's too early and they see me going too hard, they give me a week, you know, go go fishing for a week or something, you know, go because otherwise it's just drives drives drives, and you know what I mean. They're trying not to burn me out. But honestly, man, I don't have the I don't have the special recipe for you, you know what I mean. We just we just show up every day and we try our best.
Speaker 1: Then maybe that is a special risky. Just try to turn them every day and do your best.
Speaker 2: Get there, just be there and then rock ups the first one.
Speaker 1: And Joyson hard and Australia find smart partners and you have to bring people in from overseas or has.
Speaker 2: That, yes, and no, you know what I mean. That's it's it's like who you're fighting, you know what styles you need? You know what I mean. We're a bit limited in there's a big jump from you know, world class and then there's you know, going lower from that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's a big difference in a good prior in a world class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you know what I mean. But there's boys out there, you know that the Australian boxing is getting huge and it's it's in a good spot at the moment, so it's it's progress. There's a few out there, man.
Speaker 1: So I guess Rod is not going to jump in anymore with this.
Speaker 2: He's a he's a completely different style, you know what I mean. And he's a good duty and he's he's a crafty little fighter, is he. You know, he's tricky, he's awkward, and those awkward shotters when you get hit, so you know you've got to be switched on when you find it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if I just go you just mentioned fishing. I mean you've said it a couple of times, so obviously fishing is something that you love doing. Why is it because it's full relaxing, Like what what do you completely take your mind off what you do with other things?
Speaker 2: I think so, I think it's just that sort of escape, like just doing something that's sort of you know, when you're fishing, you're only thinking about catching the fish, you know what I mean. So I think that's why I like that sort of just escaping and being outside as well the nature. So I love it. Ain't being on the water.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. You're you're a world champion and you're on the world stage, and you know, boxing is still extraordinarily popular, like extraordinarily popular, and you know, more more eyes watch boxing than UFC. Still you get to mix it up with this oudis. You know, you go to those sorts of environments, you know, where like everybody's full of praise for you, yet your humility and humbleness is still there. Just want to go fishing, You want to go to fishing a yam. But down from the Gold Coast where you live these days, how do you keep humbling hum and keep your humility? Where does that come from?
Speaker 2: Man? I'm honestly, bro, It's a weird balance, you know what I mean. Sometimes I am you know, like I am I am on the big stage now, like I am rubbing shoulders with greatness, you know what I mean, Like where I am and the award nights I go do and the events I'm at, And it's starting to spin me out because I used to look at them and be like, oh, you know, there's thing, there's things. But these greats are doing that to me now, you know what I mean, is that coming out of their way to talk to me. So it just it blows my mind and then you know, I'm grateful for it or you know what I mean. But sometimes you do lose track, you know, like sometimes you come home and my normal conversations with my you know, my normal people, you know what I mean. I'm talking like this, but you know, really oh relaxed, relax. So I feel like it's a balance you have to try and find. And you know, like I said before, I haven't got the recipe, Like I'm not sure. I'm trying my best every day and I feel like that's all we got to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just had a baby. Your partner's just had a baby, Yeah, which you have? I just had a girl, Like awesome, how older she's seven months? That brings back down definitely, especially when they you had to change an appy, or they're screaming because they've got saw tummy, or just wake up in the middle of the night. How have you been dealing with that?
Speaker 2: It's been good. I've got a really great partner, you know, who's who's been with me for a long time, you know, so it's it makes life a lot easier when you got someone that's got your back and you know she we're both in this together, you know what I mean, We're both been in this journey for a long time.
Speaker 1: Again, she's been with you for a long time, for a long.
Speaker 2: Time, since since we were young.
Speaker 1: So before Ji was the world champion.
Speaker 2: Exactly when was a little ship, you know what I mean. She she'd been there. She believed in the dream. You know, I was like I had nothing, you know. She she really supported us and you know, took care of us and made us, you know, supported the household. Was the breadwinner for a long time. I was going off spy and training camps. We weren't making no money, you know what I mean. She stood It's been a long journey. You know it's so but we're here now. You know it's all paid off, and but we still got a lot of hard work to do. You know, you never get comfortable, and you know, you know, you in a relationship yourself. Yeah, you know, you know they're they're working things. You got to constantly work on them, and you know they're roller coasters, so bring it on. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and I guess Joe, given that you now have Leilah, your little daughter, said my old order probably sometimes could be waiting back here for you on the Gold Coast when you fly in overt out an airport or Brisbane airport or Sitting airport, which when you fly in from from from an event, how relieved you feel to be looking for thinking I'm back.
Speaker 2: Yea, honestly, No matter where I go, the best part of the trips getting walking through my front door. I'm not okay, man, I've been all over the world, you know, I've rubbed shoulders, been met great people. The best time on my trip every time is walking through my front door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're and I read some with it. Your religion is an important part of your life, your faith more im probably more important, not so much religion, but your faith. Has faith always been a part of your life. Was a something you've adopted more recently.
Speaker 2: No, I've always been pretty religious, you know. I come from you know, being salmon. There's you know, God has always been a very important key to you know, our life. You know, it's it's everything's a gift from Him. You know, it's not it's not ours, it's it's a journey that sort of He's I don't know how to put it in words, but we're always grateful to God. You know what I mean. We're always thanking God for before every fight, we say our prayer, before every meal, we say our prayer, you know, just things like that.
Speaker 1: I know it's you seek similar for his Christian faith, he's very overt like obviously he doesn't mind hiding it and he doesn't sorry, he doesn't mind showing it. He doesn't try to hide it. And I guess if you are truly a person of faith, then that's the sort of person you're going to be. You've got to be prepared. You don't have to promote it, but you've got to be prepared to stand up for it when the time shots. Have you noticed that about Yusik too, because I see where's the crucifix on his chest and he kisses before he goes into the fight. It's good to see young men because relatively speaking of both young men prepared to stand up for what they believe in similar to other faiths, to not just Christianity. I mean we see that with saty ber Williams with his Muslim faith, et cetera. Being proud of their faith. That's an important factor in I think in people's success today. Do you find having that faith is part of your success.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I feel like gods a massive part of my success. But you know, it's a working relationship ship as well. You know, I'm trying to be better and be better, just better every day and everything. You know, better son, better, better brother, better partner than my fiance, you know, better religious person, you know, like my religious journeys. It's weird, you know, but it's it's it's mine, so you know what I mean. It's not that I try and hide it. But at the same day, it's no one's business, you know what I mean. So we're just trying to figure it out and be better.
Speaker 1: But do you think it's funny because when you get to your level in the world, on the world stage, in the world boxing stage especially or as just as a world sporting stage, because you know, the cover's a lot of sporting sporting variety of sports. This this sort of sometimes is a presumption. People assume that you're flawless, you know, like you don't make mistakes. There's an assumption that gie when I make a mistake, or anybody else for that matter, which is not right because we're all human and we all make mistakes. But the game here is to be able to prepare to learn from our mistakes and be better at what we do, not just not just not just in an ethical or moral sense, not just as a brother or a son or a partner, but also as a box as well. And if you have that, it seems to me you've got that attitude in relation to everything you do. I'm just going to get better. I accept that I make mistakes, but I'm going to get better, and I'm going to get better. I'm going to get every day get better. Is that sort of like an attitudinal thing that you've got and you've always had.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's just life, bro. I think it's just sort of you know, learning on the way. And I don't know, it's a hard question to answer. Yeah, you know, I think there's things in life that make you sort of think, fuck, you know, it's time to sort of wake up and stop being a little kid.
Speaker 1: Grow up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got to grow up with your big boy pants on, and I can start moving forward.
Speaker 1: So let me say one thing to like, its nearly seventy years that I have aged next year made I'm still doing it so and it never stops. My May died and ninety like he told me the same thing. You just you're always pulling yourself up. Give yourself an upper cart, get on with it, be better, try and improve, and I think you're doing. I actually think the humility and the humbleness I'm getting from your legs is overwhelming, overwhelming for me for someone who is at the same time the world champion in a boxing division, which by the way, not many Australians ever get there, and they plenty try plenty with great talent, never really get there and to and you've also defended you but your you're you know, you've defended that position and now you're talking about going on getting at WBC and w B a w BO, so you also got a whole lot of ambitions ahead of you. That is sort of nearly the opposite type of personality. I'm feeling they're coming from you, And it's just great to see someone like that when you see, you know, Tyson Fury, who has a totally different sort of personality or condor of McGregor in the UFC, totally different personality, and it just goes to show anyone Australian who's an aspiring person you don't have to be a certain personality to be the best in the world and that's a that's a big exposure to Australians. Do you feel any pressure in these stage as joy Opataya to continue on as that aspirational person aspiring other young Australians, not just in boxing, in sports generally anything for that matter. Do you feel any pressure?
Speaker 2: There's always pressure, you know, there's always pressure to do better, pressure to you know, when fights, become a better person. I don't know, man, I'm honestly just focused on myself, you know what I mean, And I feel like that's what that's what they that's why I get to just do it the way I can do it, you know what I mean. I'm just trying to. I don't I've always said I don't want to be the most famous fighter, you know what I mean. I don't want to walk past someone and go, oh, you know, he's a superstar. I want to walk past people and they go, he's the best fighter I've seen, you know what I mean. And I feel like that is that's where boxing is getting two different sort of there's the soap the show bus of boxing, and then there's the boxes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That so I feel like a fighters fighter.
Speaker 2: I want to be a fighter that I used to watch, you know what I mean, the my old man used to go, come here, come sit down, like I used to be upstairs playing my game. It's get downstairs, come you watch this, you know what I mean? Like I want to be a fighter that a coach makes their fighter watch, you know what I mean, Like gets a coach gets their pattern paper and goes, oh, that's what you know. It's a craft, you know, not not those fucking superstar and talking ship and you know who's got the best argument and who's winning. That's never really interests me, you know.
Speaker 1: So that's interesting, so so and but boxing, the fight game sports are entertainment at the end of the day. To a large extent, there is entertainment value in there. What do you think of the Saudi entry into serious entry into the boxing scene now promoting fights because it's and it is showb is a little bit of shower. There's obviously pay for you and all that stuff. You've got to make money out of the thing. They've got to make money out of it to promote it. What do you think about that? Or do you rather just see you back in the old US style system. You know, everything's controlled by one person or two or three.
Speaker 2: Now I think this REA season stuff is the best, yeah, honestly, and being a part of it, Like I feel like the thing that gets away of the best fighting the best is actually not the fightst it's the promoters, you know what I mean. A lot of promoters that don't see either eye and you know, who's going to get the bigger card or who wants their organization to be more involved on the fight night. But when it comes to REACT season, they all it is REAT season, and then everyone's a part of that, you know what I mean. And I'm like, that's what they really needed. The sport needed that, you know, making putting promoters in the same room that have never even spoke to each other, you know what I mean, But money talks, you know, And now we're seeing some of the best fight nights in the world. So I feel like this REAT season the best thing that's happened to boxing for a long time.
Speaker 1: And do you think that it's I mean, at the very top level, traditionally they get a lot of a lot of dough. I mean, they get paid a lot of money per fight. But then if you sort of drop down and into different other levels that boxes don't relative to what they're going to put themselves through, they don't earn enough money. Do you think the entry of Saudi Arabia will read which is the capital there? Do you think that has actually sort of made it a bit more fair everybody's getting paid more money sort of thing, and that you know, you're getting paid for what you do properly as opposed to sort of not being totally recognized in a financial sense the way you should be in the old system, because you know they're put money into it and people and you're get to get paid. Well, that's important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I feel like they're we're getting paid what we deserve finally, you know what I mean. It's been a long journey man, Yeah, you know, like what was I I was twenty? I think I was like twenty maybe even twenty or zero, you know what I mean? What am I twenty seven? I don't even know my own record in twenty seven twenty six? But I honestly think I was nineteen to zero before I got my first paycheck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mad crazy, And this is what this is what a lot.
Speaker 2: Of fighters don't understand. These days is there. They see the big dollars and they see the big sign, you know what I mean, then they just they asked for too much straight away. But they need to invest in themselves, you know what I mean. That it's not always just money, but it's time effort. You know. You need to invest in yourself and you need to build and build and the opportunity will come, you know. Like I mean, we were just my whole paychecks were going towards just getting on the card for for a long time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So that's interesting. Could you explain a little bit how that works because a lot of people don't understands, you know, like you're you might be fighting on the safety to paper. They're expecting you to sell tickets, you know, or your management team to sell tickets because that's how they make their money, you know, and sell tickets for the night I'm talking about. It might not have been televised. It might have been televised, but you know, after you pay everybody, there's not a lot of day left for not at all, Joe Lakers, not me. You might've got twenty five, thirty five, forty thousand dollars, there's not a lot of relative to what you give up during the year, You're lucky to get that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, like you fight for Aussie titles and stuff like I don't know how everyone's contracts set up, man, but nineteen and zero, like literally I had won titles, knew some well titles, Aussie titles, and that I was getting fucking peanuts, you know what I mean. But I was never stressed, like I wasn't. I always seen the light at the end of the tunnel, you know what I mean. Like I always knew what the goal was, and that was the win world titles and get on the big stages. So I always knew this time was you know, we're investing in ourselves. We've got to keep training, We've got to keep you know, keep pushing. Like it's hard, man, It's it's a very lonely hard road, especially when now that I'm here good, you know, like when they pay me well, like I'm like, you know, I feel like I deserve this. You know, I've done all my apprenticeship, I've been I'm my first one at eight years old, well, you know, and like my whole life train and run and punching bag, sparring, like it's just never ending. So you know when they when they say we're getting paid a lot, so we should to get to the top is a freaking long journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and you're not going to be fighting when you're forty, so like it's it has a time limit on it too, you know, Like so you've got to you got to make your money in a short period and that's going to Las hear for the rest of your life and your family and everybody else. How important to the people like Eddie hearn in the world, like Eddie hearn Like you know, how important of those sorts of individuals in the fight game. You're in the boxing game to bring to life the money and the more eyeballs and more interest and a better better entertainment too. I mean, have you had you know, like have you any thoughts about that, like those sorts of individuals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a little bit to do with Eddie Hearne, you know, like I try and just keep it nice and short, you know what I mean. Like we're there for a purpose at the end of the day, you know what I mean. My job is to go there, win a fight, come home and look after my family. That's all I think about, you know what I mean. I'm not going over there to be friends with people and you know, make mates and you know, get get in their good books and stuff like that. All I've got it. All I'm thinking about is winner. That's all they care about, you know what I mean. And I'm not trying to bad mouth from or anything like that. I'm just I'm there for a job, you know, And unless I do my job, mate, I'm out. Someone else's in. That's the way I look at it. So I'm just I'm driven, I've got off, I can gold. Do you know, I'm there for a purpose.
Speaker 1: So that's because so apart from sort of taking on the WBOWBA and WC belt holders and sort of consolidating all the belts into one division, the next outcome for you would be obviously going up into the next way division, which is heavyweight. When do you think, assuming everything goes according to plan, when do you think you start to train for that, in other words, maybe put more weight on or whatever the case may be. When do you start to take that process on? Because you know, like you're a planner. It looks like to me, when you're nine er oh, you're still thinking to myself, how do I get to twenty seven, twenty eighteen? How to win a world titled? You're planning way ahead and you're being patient about that way ahead plan. My gut feeling is that you're you're probably still already thinking still now thinking yourself, I've got a five year planned ahead of me, or it's something ahead of me I'm to do. I got to I'm going to hit that milestone. I can hit that milestone and then I'll be in the heavyweight division. What is your lot? How long far out do you plan?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, I don't want to put a time on it.
Speaker 1: You know, how are you now, Joe? I'm twenty nine, so you've probably got five years good?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean heavyweight can take an older age, of course, but we just see how we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I want these belts around my waist. I'm chasing unification fights, you know, like I do not understand why these aren't happening. You know, I'm the best cruise weight in the world. You know, there's me, and there's me and Ramirez. You know, they say, were the top, Let's fight. Why are we beating around the bush?
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't Ramirez fight you.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I got no clue. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, is he is he fighting anybody else?
Speaker 2: I think he's got to fight come up. But and I'm telling you it's an easy fight to make. I'm ready for that fight to happen. So fuck, I just want to fight to happen, you know what I mean. I feel like I've been running around in circles every time I fight someone that say, oh, you know, I've been chasing this wo and then every time I went off, fight Wo's next. Then I gotta fight someone wos next.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: You know, It's just it becomes annoying. You know, I'm trying to tick boxes and and get this ship done and then but at the end of the day, I can only find who they put in front of me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but they say the but the matchmakers aren't. Are they sort of saying it's coming or they're just no, he's not He's not ready for mirror.
Speaker 2: It's coming. Apparently we've got one more fight, and then it's.
Speaker 1: The next he's got one more fighter. You're going one to fight both of us, both of you, and so that would be this year then yeah, probably twenty twenty five, because because you must be having a fight cup you would have something coming up. And this year, earlier, this year, before the during this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're talking, man, unless there's contracts in frontio, you know what I mean. It's all say but they're talking around may or something like that. But man, we we just we just wait for the phone call. As soon as they call, we get ready.
Speaker 1: And who negotiates it for you? Like, who does all the deal.
Speaker 2: I've got a great team behind me. You know, I've got a whole board of it. You know, I got Mickey Francis or Tasman Fighters or Scott Evans. You know, I got scared. We all sit down, we all make a team plan and but I don't care. Just chuck them in. Let's fight.
Speaker 1: Did you ever think to yourself that did you ever play footy rugby league?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I used to play footy when younger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, up in the Central Coast. Did you ever think to yourself, I'm going to become a rugby league player?
Speaker 2: Dream? It was? I was always boxing, yeah, And I was even like I was always missing a lot of my footy games because I was had fight coming up and stuff like that. So I was always going to be a fighter.
Speaker 1: So giving you're born around the East and suburbs, who's your team?
Speaker 2: Who do you go for?
Speaker 1: Man, I'm New South Wales Blue, absolutely, totally, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know you live in Queensland now, but you're never going to be a Queenslander.
Speaker 2: I'm waiting for North Sydney Bears to come back. North Sydney Bears come back way. I'll tell you what I'd be wearing the jersey, Yeah, at home, you know, I want to be connected to it.
Speaker 1: And who's your favorite footy player, like someone you from the past to say when you're a kid.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite footy players that the big Pommy dude that took that hit up and he broke his cheek. Sam Sam Burgess from I think he's an animal, the way he used to play no fear, the way you take days hit ups. He's just in it for the boy. He's like, he just loves that straight off the back fans. That's what it's about up running that.
Speaker 1: I remember, you know, it's funny that night I went to watch your part because his brother Luke forward on that night and I saw Luke and Lukes he never had a fight before and I remembering gassed after the other guy did to They both gassed after the first first round. I think someone got injured in the fight got called off. But yeah, Sam, he is an animal like he was fantastic, like he's a leader. Yeah, totally, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: The way he runs out balls, how you should run up every time?
Speaker 1: And what about state of origin? Who's your one of the legends that you watch it?
Speaker 2: Love? Oh man, Honestly, I got so much love and respect for Paul. Yeah, Paul Gallan. Just his work ethic, He's just an animal bro that mindset, you know. Just he's for the team that when he wears the jersey it means something. And a great engine too, oh good engine. He's even in the in the boxing gym, you know what I mean. He's got a engine. He's always trained. He still does still does some big session.
Speaker 1: I'll watch. I follow him on Instagram and today he's doing some mad stuff. It's funny, you know. Chock announced today ban knuckle fighting. He's him. He's gonna do with Condom Agrega to own the ban knuckles in Australia. In Australia, he's gonna fight it in Australia and and there's men approved in Queensland and Victoria, but the Combat Commission hasn' approved here in South Wales at this stage. And that bare knuckle process is pretty scary stuff. What do you think about the bar knuckle fighters? You know, the you know and by the way, allegedly you know, Tyson Fury's father was, you know, the king of that. Literally they called him a king of bean Knuckle fighting in Ireland.
Speaker 2: Is what it is.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: People need to get paid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people, that's interesting. They do because they've got nothing else to do. They've got no other way of making it quit.
Speaker 2: It's their way of fighting, you know, it's it's it's pretty barbaric, you know, and but you know it's sit here and judge them. When we're sitting in these nice chairs, totally fancy microphones in front of us. These guys are bare knuckle fighters. So they love it. You know, they're not there because they they're there because they want to be there. They choose to be there. So who are we to take that away from totally?
Speaker 1: Well, and I'll probably get in trouble for saying, but I actually like it. I like watching it. They do put raps on, but it's not quite bare knuckle, but they've got wraps on. But still I like watching it. I mean it is by Barrack, but in a story, it's the best man wins. You don't have to be there, no one's forcing you. If you want to do what you want to do it. I want to say to you. What I want to say to you is that please feel know that and feel that Australians are very much behind what you're doing. Like we love Australian man. I'm a FI fan, but Australians love what you're doing on the world stage for us and for boxing in Australia. We have a great boxing scene here, but you're by far the leader in Australia right now. And I think that what I would like to say to you, as a you know, as much older person, is to say that it's really refreshing to talk to someone with such humility and humpfulness but at the same time very self assured, knows exactly what his deal is and what he's got to do, what his job is. So Jai Battia, thank you very much for coming in and mate, I wish you all the very best and I can't wait to see you up there against musick you