Speaker 1: I got a team, I'd be bloody terrific, just because that's how I am. Tommy Jackets. It was kind of like an adoptive, problematic son of mine's been hanging around for years. I can't get rid of him, so I've just embraced him, and you know, I love him. I love him. He's a weirdo, but I love a good weirdo because I'm a weirdo, and so we're kind of kindred spirits. And I first met Tommy Jacket years ago when I ran a program. I think, oh, this is probably not or you were there, But was that the first time I met you? Or I met you before that?
Speaker 2: Well, is that the first time you feel in love? Because I met you before that? But it might have been the connection we formed on your camp, which sounds like it's, you know, an unusual camp, but I'll tell you it was life changing.
Speaker 1: Well that was called Mind Body Emotion MBA. That was just a weekend and it was not a big care. It was very small because I normally do camps with hundreds and that just an intimate. That doesn't sound very good. That was an weekend. Yeah, I feel like it was thirty two people because we were down at Wilson's prom and we could only get basically a space with thirty two beds. That was probably you know, that was about twelve years ago. But when do we first insect? When did you first get gravitationally pulled into planet Halps?
Speaker 2: When I was seventeen, I was introduced to you through an ex girlfriend and it was their step dad's wife who introduced me to you. And so I get your mobile number and have stalked you ever since. Hence why you know I'm still texting you fifteen twenty years later. And how old? How long is that? Yeah? Almost twenty years? Yeah, eighty years.
Speaker 1: What are you now? Thirty? You're thirty six in September.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, September one, so you.
Speaker 1: Are everyone September one. In case you remember, Tommy loves what do you want for your birthday?
Speaker 2: Hugs and kisses us? And you know, I'm pretty simple, Craig. That's why we get along.
Speaker 1: Of course, Tommy has been among other things, he's a videographer and a film producer, and he creates great content. And he was a radio host for a long time, and in a previous lifetime he was a stripper. We've spoken about that, So I'm not throwing him under the bus and had his own version of the chip and dares what was what was your what was your entourage.
Speaker 2: Called Ossie Spunks? Still think it was great. It had legs.
Speaker 1: If I google Ossie Spunks, am I gonna?
Speaker 2: I'm doing this right now, it won't come up with anything from us. Really, don't think.
Speaker 1: Ozzie Spunk, this is terrible on a fucking video on a podcast studio Ossie Spunks, Ossie Spunks Dream on Straight Boy. No, okay, I feel like it's oh Ozzie Spunks, Piercing Obsessions, Spunky Trunks, Ossie Spunks or History Hottest Ossi TV Spunks. Yeah, spunk Rats. Yeah, I think I might. I think I might be opening a door that I should leave closed. Yeah, so we'll leave it at that. How long did Ossie Spunks exist on the stripping landscape?
Speaker 2: It was probably about eighteen months. It was a short lived career. And yeah, I got to a point in my life where I realized that, yeah, it's not what I want to be doing, which which.
Speaker 1: Was getting your cock out for cash is not Did you get your wizzer out?
Speaker 2: No? It was nothing, nothing like that.
Speaker 1: It was really stripping then, is it?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I guess, I guess there was just one time touring around New Zealand and there were stage shows with maybe you know, three hundred crazed ladies. But one time, one time, there was one time a bank at one time at stripping camp, there was a woman who ran to the side of stage because she knew that the towers were dropped and there was nothing on, so maybe she got more than she paid for. But it certainly wasn't a regular thing. It's all in the illusion. But god, I'm that is another life. That is Is there anything in your life, Craig that you look back on and think, wow, like that? Is that? Is that took such a different person to who I am now to do something like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? A lot of things, I mean two spring to mind. So when I was nineteen, I moved to Western Australia. I was already working in gym, so as soon as I got there, I got a job working in a gym at night. But I moved so I worked in a gym at night and I worked on a construction site through the day. And I'm the least handy bloke in Australia. So having me on a construction site, I don't know what they were thinking, but anyway, I was essentially a body. I was called a TA trades assistant. So I did that for nearly a year, working on a construct aluminium refinery that was being built called Worsely Aluminium Refinery, which was exciting and terrifying and dangerous. I think about I can't remember the number, but maybe somewhere between four and seven people died the year that I worked. I could be wrong, but there was like three thousand men on the site and it was pretty dangerous, like everything was under construction. We were working up high. We used to work walk on things called RSJs which are steel beams, and built scaffolding and for the tradesmen, welders, boiler makers, pipe fitters to work and I worked with a boiler maker called Rob and a welder called Benny, and we worked as a team, so you work in teams of three. And I was basically a shit kicker. Yeah, but it was a really steep learning curve. And I think probably the other thing that was very it's funny the things some of the shittest things that you do are like looking back, I think, fuck, I wouldn't want to do that. And I'm not terrified of heights, but I don't love heights. But I looked back then, I was always up high, like high, I mean like fourteen stories one hundred and forty feet in the air, one hundred and fifty feet one hundred feet, and I was I don't know why, I was nineteen and just like a bit stupid, like I wasn't terrified as I should have been. Yes, And the other thing I did for about I did for a minute when I was over there was security working in pubs. But then I came back to Melbourne and I worked for three years about three nights, four nights a week in pubs getting punched in the face for ten dollars an hour. And that was you know, and this is the guy that never went to pubs ever except to work, and who didn't drink and who didn't do drugs. And all I did was eat fucking chicken breasts and broccoli and go to bed early. So when I started doing that, that was like a mind blowingly eye opening kind of revelation for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well today we're talking about purpose. I know it's your show. I just made it feel like it was my show, so.
Speaker 1: Great, feel free, Feel free, Thanks Tom, thanks for having me on you.
Speaker 2: But I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Let's give people context. So you and I caught up this morning. Yeah, and we've known each other for years, as we've already said, and you for a very long time. Apart from your radio and your stripping and your video production and the great work that you do in building content and films for people, you also had the Daily Talk Show, which was one of Australia's best podcasts for years, which inhabited the podcast landscape, and you did over a thousand episodes of that.
Speaker 2: Hard to verify any of those fine details there, but I will take every word you just said.
Speaker 1: I mean it was a fucking great show, like it was a great show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, but as seen on TV, you know that it's the same sticker that you know. No one can really verify. But we'll go with it, all right. People can look up the Daily Talk Show. It's still there, isn't it, Like they're still episodes loaded up somewhere. Oh we still get we still get thousands of downloads a year, thousands, and so it will live on. It's a body of work. One thousand and twenty three episodes or something like that, you know, very small fry compared to what the you project is now, Craig whatever.
Speaker 1: So anyway, my long winded point was, I was saying, we were chatting this morning, and you said you might reboot and do do something like just a podcast or you know, putting something out into the ether. And I said, why don't you just come on my show, like we've got an audience, you're ready to go, just fucking put on the headphones and start. And so we don't know how often this is going to happen. Maybe once a week, maybe once a fortnight. Maybe he'll be shitting sack him. I'm not sure. But today we wanted to, as you said, we wanted to have a chat around a few deep and philosophical things, because now that you've got two kids and a wife and you're not seventeen years old, now you're quite deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, deeply tired is what I had. Deeply exhausted, deeply exhausted and if anything, lacking purpose based on how tired I am. No, no I'm not. But yeah, this topic of purpose gets me quite excited, interested to understand, you know, the things we spoke about our previous careers. You know, it's funny though early days. Nineteen is so young and I just ended up there, you know, it's and would you say that you're sort of living a life of purpose at nineteen? God, if you can be living a life of purpose at nineteen, you're pretty lucky.
Speaker 1: What does it mean? I mean, that's the Thing's what you Yeah? What is your purpose? Is it just what you do every day? Or I think when we talk about the idea of purpose, we're suggesting some kind of deep, meaningful, existentially kind of relevant, like what is my existence? What is my purpose? Why am I here? What is the greater good of my life? But sometimes your purpose is just to get out of bed and go and make a few bucks and fucking you know, have a few laughs. Maybe.
Speaker 2: Well, do you think people who communicate that they don't have a purpose? What are they What are they saying when they say I don't have a purpose?
Speaker 1: I think I think people need to feel and again it's just a conversation. I think people need to feel like their life is a meaningful in some way. And I think sometimes it's easy to feel whatever that means. But I think sometimes it's easy to feel like my day, my life is just my life is just groundhog. It's just this, you know, where I'm just getting up every day and I'm doing a version of what I did yesterday. And I pay the bills, and I have a shower, shit shave, shampoo, and then I fucking hit the reset button. Then off I go again. And then I look up and it's twenty twenty seven and now I'm three years older, and I feel like I'm not learning, growing, evolving or contributing. I'm just treading water. And you know, I've spoken to a lot of people who that's kind of a version of their well, their subjective experience anyway, that's how they feel. And you know, I think like we humans, we like to feel like we are contributing and having a purpose. Purpose that's just bigger than you know, surviving and you know, going around in circles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard a quote today that was which I need to help understanding it beyond just what it's sound cool, but it said, fulfilling your purpose is the golden rule to attaining happiness. But bill again perpose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know, there's a lot of there's a lot of cliches and a lot of memes, and it's like fulfilling your See what I don't like about that is fulfilling your purpose. And it's like that kind of indicates your purpose is singular. Okay, so I'm here for one single purpose or one reason. Maybe maybe maybe not. And I think maybe your purpose might evolve over time, Like what was my purpose when I was twenty might not have been when I was thirty and now it's sixty. Like I feel like my part of my purpose is to love my mom and dad and make sure that the last five, ten, fifteen years of their life is as good as it can be. But I don't think that's my sole purpose. I think part of my purpose is to help and support an encourage younger people like you and other people that I love and care about, and even people that I don't know. But to support and encourage people to find, you know, what it is they're meant to be doing or that to find their own purpose or their own meaning. You know. I think part of my purpose is to, you know, just be a good human and to hopefully be a.
Speaker 2: You know, I reckon.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest compliments is if you are a person that people want to be around like that's almost to me, like that is a really good thing. That's a good sign. I don't know that people always want that with me. I'm not sure, but I hope that, you know, for the most part, people like being in my presence, not for my ego, but so that I know, okay, So there must be hopefully something positive about, you know, interacting with me, so that I'm having a good impact on people.
Speaker 2: Do you think do you think there's the chance that people can be sort of misled by external validation of what they deem as their purpose. So, you know, you're living a life, and I think people who are able to articulate their purpose really clearly. So you know, I run a dog shelter because on my you know, it's my purpose in life to help dogs and so and so you know that, then externally, oh that's amazing, it's so you know, and so then there's maybe an illusion when we're looking and turning, you know, look in the mirror back at ourselves about identifying our own purpose, that it has to be something as lofty as a dog shelter.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting question. Yeah, I think we all think that all we are I think it's easy to think maybe it is a better way of saying that that my purpose needs to be something you know, grand and something being significant. And you know, I was talking to Big Josh Lenardowitz recently, who which has been well documented, Big Josh, who was Australia's longtime best bodybuilder IFBB pro man, mountain, gentle, giant, awesome human, couple of kids, husband of the beautiful Lizzie, and he's he had some trouble with you know, he had a tumor in his skull and he had some surgery and some complications, and anyway, the bottom line is that right now and for a while, he's been struggling getting back to full health. And we spoke about that recently on the show. So I'm not throwing him under the bus, but you know, talking to him, it's like his I feel he feels his main purpose these days is just to be a good dad, be a good husband, and to be a provider, is to just look after, provide for and protect his family. And I'm like, you know, that's kind of noble. It doesn't need to be. I've got to win the mister Olympia. I've got to run one hundred meters in ten seconds. I've got to build a brand and a business. I've got to crush it. I've got to kill. I've got a grind. I've got to hustle. You know, I've got to save the world. Maybe maybe not, you know, So I don't think there's a right or wrong with this thing, you know, with this stuff. You know. It's like I know that if I had gotten married, which I didn't, and I had had a wife and a couple of kids and probably by now a grandkid or two, probably my well, definitely my focus and attention would be different, My my thinking would be different, The window through which I experience and interact with the world would be different. My I dare say, my purpose would not be what it is now. So I think one of the challenges, young Tom, is that we grow up. I think we grow up thinking that our purpose is some preordained thing and we've got to discover it, like it's under some spiritual rock that we've got to tip over, rather than just kinda what do you want it to be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What do you want your purpose to be?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean it's I think it's quite romantic to think that your purpose will hit you in the face and then you you know, oh, and so I haven't really felt or you know, you use that term purpose for my own life. Really. Ever, what I have done is always from the moment I left school at seventeen, dropped out year eleven, I've been on a path to do things that I enjoy and that means jobs, you know, where I am in my life. And so I've always like when I became a personal trainer, I enjoyed it. I thought I wanted to do it, and then I didn't really feel like I wanted to do that. Then I wanted to be TV presenter, started that journey, you know, got into radio in enjoyed that. This feels less like a job, you know, it was for me, it was around how do I live it feeling less like I'm restricted? School was the ultimate restriction for me. Felt like, you know, I dropped the weight of bricks off my back when I left. It's like, oh yeah, now I can start paving my own path. And so, but I've never sort of associated it to purpose, and I think, really it's probably because I it's never been anything around you know, seriously helping others, you know, articulating it like the dog shelter or and so maybe I've felt like I can't use that term purpose with my own life. But maybe do you think that's the wrong the wrong way of looking at it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, you know, a couple of things spunk to mind when you were talking then, and like, if you want to use a nice metaphor or analogy, we all, you know, like everybody's climbing a mountain, right, It's just you know, I look over Tom's over on his mountain, I'm on mine. But I think a lot of people get to the top of their mountain or near the top of their mountain, and they realize they're on the wrong fucking mountain, right, And so it's like, oh, my god, I've invested all this time, energy, perhaps money, you know, blood, sweat and tears to do this thing, to create this outcome. And I get to the top of the mountain. I've got it. I've created it. I'm you know, And how come I still feel spiritually, mentally, and emotionally bankrupt. Oh? Maybe what I wasn't lacking was three cars or in my case, four motorbikes, or maybe maybe the answer to my problems wasn't fucking massive delts and triceps after all. You know, it's like you have this idea of what will make you fulfilled or joyful or content, you know, happy, whatever we want to call it, that positive internal state that we all want. Like, nobody wants to be miserable, Nobody wants to be sad, lonely, depressed, disconnected, unhappy, stressed. Nobody wants that. Everybody wants their internal state, whether that's emotions, whether that's our mind, everybody wants that to be a positive state. And I think we have a story about what will create that. And it's not to say that building a business brand or a big bank balance, or having huge biceps or a pretty face or a handsome face or an awesome whatever you know, fucking YouTube channel or whatever it is, doesn't mean that's bad. It just means that it doesn't necessarily positively correlate with joy or with contentment or purpose, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think it's.
Speaker 1: I think one of the best things that we can do is just to try lots of stuff, Try lots of stuff, have lots of experiences, meet lots of people, will walk into different rooms, I mean metaphoric rooms, open new doors, do research, ask questions, be curious. You know, It's like I never would have done a PhD, except I just happened to be asked to Monash University to Brain Park, the Neuroscience neuropsych Lab, to talk to the faculty, to talk to some of the PhD students and researchers and profs. And I went there and I did a talk on the stuff that I do, and then I did another one, and they were interested in the way that I work with people and I help people create change in their life. And I wasn't a psychologist or a researcher. I was just an exercise scientist who had really opened a door on you know, the psychology and emotion and sociology of changing a body. But anyway that the not so brief version is that they somebody in that group said would you be interested in doing a PhD? Oh? And I don't. I'm never in my life thought of doing a PhD. I said what would that look like? And we had a coffee in a chat and I applied and I got accepted and bibbity bobby boo. But that came out of me just doing stuff like I didn't sit at home going you know what I need, I need to go, I need to start a PhD. At fifty six, I didn't think that. It just it was something that came up out of opening doors, having new experiences, going to new places, and literally standing in front of a room full of people who are probably smarter than me in many ways and going, fuck it, I'm just going to tell them what I do and how I do it, and we'll see what happens. But I think that's the thing getting, you know, working through the fear, working through the uncertainty and the discomfort. Because often I think I'll shut up after this because I realized I'm over talking. But often I think the thing that we really want, which is growth and revelation and understanding and skill and competence and resilience, the things that we want come through the things that we don't want, Like we don't want pain, we don't want problems, we don't want uncertainty, we don't want discomfort. But all of those things are like a superpower.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, do you think there needs to be a level of awareness when you are going through life giving things a crack?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, like like situational awareness. Self awareness is it's very hard to be objective about you. Even when you understand the idea of objectivity, you understand the idea of self awareness or situational or social awareness. It's like me trying to you know, my PhD is on metaperception, metaaccuracy, all that stuff. You know, and as everyone knows, and I'm sorry for boring you everyone, but even me who researches that. It still I can't really be objective about anything because I have certain beliefs ideas well. I guess I can be objective about some things because I don't know anything, so I don't have an opinion, right, But you know, the whole human experience is a subjective one for the most part. In that I come into this podcast, into this conversation with you, and I Craig, can't have certain ideas and beliefs and values and experiences and programming and conditioning and all of those things inform what's going to come out of my mouth. Same with you, you know. So I guess the best we can do is try to be more aware, more compassionate, more open minded while being brave and humble and acknowledging that yeah, I'm still going to be I'm still going to be wrong. While believing I'm right, because that's the human experience.
Speaker 2: So I made a video about all the cracks I've had in my life, and it was it's, you know, similar sort of approach to what you're saying and giving things a go, having a crack. And I think there was probably an early earlier in my life I had way more cracks. But I tell you what, I was not aware self aware. I was, you know, on the train flying giving things to go, restless, unsettled and trying to work my shit out, making no money. How do I make money? I want to do more, And I tell you what the I think the challenge is that everything slows down. I think when you become more aware because you start asking questions. It's like the classic sense of you know, waking up and you're like, oh my god. Like looking back on myself at nineteen, you know, just fell into that lifestyle, created a business around the stripping thing, and next you know, had heaps of businesses. But it's interesting because I didn't think too much at the time. But now there's two parts. One, I feel more comfortable in myself and I feel more settled, and I feel less of the urge to be going and just trying everything. But at the same time, I also feel like maybe I'm not dreaming big anymore. But then, yeah, I don't know what comes to mind when I talk like that.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking like you have I'm not just saying this because it sounds going on a podcast. But you have a great wife that you love. I know you love a you have two beautiful kids that you love. You have a job that doesn't feel like a job. You make good money, you have a good business, you have a good brand, you have a good that was going to say body. That sounds creepy, but you'll fit and healthy and strong and functional. You're thirty five, you know, like, there's lots of people listening to this going, fuck, I wish I was thirty five, right, So, but what is often the case, and I'm not going to ask you, but what is often the case is we go, well, here's this is this young Australian entrepreneur. He owns his own house or he's paying his house off. He's got a great family, a wife and kids that love him. He's got a good business, he's making good dough. He's fit, strong, healthy, he's got all some parents blah, blah blah, and in the middle of that picture quite often is a complete lack of contentment and satisfaction. And then you go, ah, so where from where does contentment and satisfaction arise? Because we think that, oh, when I have this, or when I've done that, or when I'm in that place, when I'm earning that. Like we tell ourselves a story quite often about the things that need to happen, and then I will be X, then I will be happy, and I will be content, then I will be successful. Then I But the amount of people who get to the you know, the desired destination and they're like, right, that's it, I'm good, now, I'm happy, I'm contenting, you know, it's pretty much no one. And so for me, you know, I realized that contentment and calm and purpose and fulfillment was much more about my internal world than what I was actually doing or not doing, or achieving or not achieving. And it's good to own and do and be and create and contribute and achieve, But I think the real challenges despite what's happening in your world, not because of despite what's happening in your external world, to find the joy, to find the bliss to find that, you know, that equanimity, that space of being the calm and the chaos. You know, on the weekend, we did a gig for Brad and Paley and I've spoken about who Jim burned down and we had Joel Sardi there, and Joel we've spoken to on this show and we've spoken about recently. You know, he broke his neck in an accident when he was home from service in the military. He was on leave. He fell over a balcony. He broke his neck, and he's a quadriplegic. And you know now he spends life in a chair. And of course, of course, you know it's like imagine, well let's not imagine, but hypothetically that happens to you. All you want. You would give anything and everything and all the money in the world just to be you yesterday, just to be you that could walk, just to be you, that could pick up your kid, just to be you, that could get in and out of a chair, just to be you, that could jump in your car and drive wherever you go. But the vast majority of people listening to this show, not all, but the vast majority can just get up out of a chair, and walk wherever they want. But how many of us get up and go This is so fucking amazing. I can walk. I can walk to a tap and there's hot water. I can press a button and there's light. I can press another button and there's air conditioning. I can walk ten feet and get in the most comfortable fucking bed and just sleep in relative safety. I can just pick up this thing in my hand and talk to my mum who's two hours away. Like, we have so much great shit that I feel like that contentment piece is not about what we have or don't have. It's about how we think. It's about my I love that, Craig.
Speaker 2: I think you know, when I wanted to become a TV presenter, that was just the thing in my mind at the time that led me to a media creer. I remember, you know, being so clear on and I wanted to do documentaries. I want to do this, I want to do that. I love you know, And it's funny there's some opportunities coming up, which is you know what led you and I to talking about doing more podcasting. And it's like if I what I've kind of thought this week is like if I told myself fire you know, eight years ago, the position i'd be in right now, I would be you know, elated, I'll be over the moon. But I don't feel like that. But I do know that I've been ungrateful to myself in the last little while. And it's funny because you go, well, you were arrive, you know, at this place where a thing. You know, if something happens, by the end of the year, I might be making something that would be the eight year ago dream of mine. Right, yes, but right now I don't feel like I thought I would back then. Yes, blows my mind about what. Yeah, and it sort of brings it back to that gratefulness. And so I mean it's a trap. It's a complete trap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's all about you know, and I had to sound like Craig Harper, but it's all about our thing, you know, thinking about thinking metacognition. Imagine if you every time you got out of a chair you were grateful, I mean, not bullshit, you know, like ticking the boxes. Oh, I've got an attitude of gratitude every yeah, okay, but really like genuinely, like like a few times where I fucked my back to the point where I'm in bed and I have tears rolling down my face. I'm in nine out of ten acute pain. And for me to go from my back to my front takes fifteen minutes and it's agony. And then I have to have somebody to basically help me get out of a chair and get like when I'm in that pain, right, And now that's nothing compared to Joel, nothing right, nothing compared to John, my friend who got blown up. Right. Thing but the day where all of a sudden, not all of a sudden, but oh, now I'm not in ten out of ten or nine out of ten pain. Now I'm in three and I can three out of ten pain. I am so joyful. I am so happy that I can just walk. And I'm like, ah, how good is walking without pain? How good? I can just swing my legs over the side of the bed and I can just get out. I haven't been able to do that for three weeks. And just like, I mean, but this is you know, and so that you realize that gratitude or contentment or joy maybe not all the time. I still think our external environment has of course it has something to do with it, But a lot of times it's just like, oh I can do all of this stuff which a lot of people can't do. You know, there'll come a time when you and I we can't get in and out of a chair. There will be a time in your life, and it won't be for a very long time, but you won't be able to get out of a chair. You won't be able to pick up your grandkids. There'll come a time when you've got three or four days left, right, but now is not that time. Like even for me, I'm sixty, I feel like a fucking teenager, and I am so grateful that I chose not to smoke, not to drink booze, not to do drugs. I'm grateful, and I don't mean this to sound weird, but I'm so grateful that I am sixty and relatively healthy, fit, strong, and cognitively good. I'm so grateful because I meet people my age and I'm like, fucking he fuck if not for a few decisions, that could have been me. And I don't mean that in a judgmental way. I just look at them and I don't feel anything other than compassion and I want to help. But I talk to people that are my age, that literally function like somebody twenty years older, and that's you know, So I'm glad I had those experiences. I'm glad I had those kind of light bulb moments. I'm glad that I I've learned the things that I've learned. You know.
Speaker 2: I feel like if you're to, you know, look at a computer and installing some software, the gratitude floppy disc is pretty good in terms of your computer operating. Well, do you think there's a function or do you think there's a purpose or do you think it serves us not to be grateful at times? Because I know just the cavet on that is, when I haven't been grateful, I've strived more, I've been motivated to conquer, you know, that sort of you know, established my career. I'm not where I want to be, it's not being grateful.
Speaker 1: That's a clever question, dude, Wow, that is a really clever question. So I think the answer to your question is yes, I think there are times when depending Now this is dependent, right, like if you are dissatisfied, if you are, for want of a better term, ungrateful, right then maybe from a purely winning accolades building bank, you know, maybe that's the thing that drives you. Maybe that's the thing, Maybe that's your fuel. So if we're talking about building a business or brand, or making lots of dough or achieving things on a practical or an outcome level, then maybe in that sense, yeah, maybe it's good. That's a clever question. But then I would think I would wonder and I think I'm what you just described. I think both you and I have probably been that. Then you get to the point where you know, like I've told that story too many times and I won't bore everyone, but when I was in my thirties and I had five business is, five bricks and mortar businesses, five locations, five venues, lots of staff, all of them making money, me having you know, lots of nice things in my life, making really good dough, and in the middle of all of that, it it wouldn't have mattered if I had ten businesses. I just wasn't joyful, like my default setting was. And that's not to say the businesses caused it, but that was just my situation. There wasn't There wasn't a lot of contentment or gratitude because I was. It didn't matter what I did. It wasn't enough it's like, no, well, we're doing a thousand sessions of PT a week. I mean, we were doing for a long time over one thousand personal training sessions a week between my three centers, and at one stage about sixteen hundred, you know, and it didn't matter. It's like, well I needed seventeen hundred, I needed eight eene hundred, and it didn't. Like you know, when you go you realize, but then you kind of get to the point and hopefully if there's a hopefully, if you can ever be still and hit the pause button for long enough and you know, reflect, Like you spoke about awareness before, awareness is acknowledging the thing that you're doing, even though it might be making lots of money, maybe it's not working if it depends what our metric is. If our only metric or KPI is dough money, then we're winning. But if we're thinking maybe about our spiritual, emotional, or social or psychological bank balance, maybe we're going broke despite the fact that we've got lots of good shit. And then that lends itself to the comparison between I guess the appearance of success and the experience of success. Like I think you in many ways are way more successful than me, depending on the metrics that we look through. So you're happily married, you've got a beautiful wife, you've got beautiful children, you've got a very good business, you've got good income. I think a lot of people would look at you and go I would much rather be Tom than Craig. I think a lot of I think the majority, And that's not throwing me under the bus or putting you on a pedestal. But again, there will be people who go, fuck that. I don't want to be Tom. I want to be Harps. His life looks fucking amazing. Yeah, you know, so it's all about how do we You know, I feel more successful now than when I had five businesses and one hundred staff on the go. And that's not because I'm making more money than then, or I'm I've got a bigger brand than then. It's because I'm genuinely happy. Like most of my life I am, I'm raally anxious, I'm rarely sad, and maybe part of that is genetic, and I'm very grateful for that, but I think like the thing is too consciously genuinely practice gratitude and go, Yeah, my life is if like I always say to Melissa, if I complain about my life, kick me in the dick, because I'm the problem. Yeah, because my life's fucking amazing. So if I'm complaining, it's me that's the issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that, Craig. I love you, mate, I feel loved tom Oh, that's nice. What about for you?
Speaker 1: Like, when do you do you ever get to the point where you're like, Ah, have I leant my ladder against the wrong wall or have I climbed the wrong mountain?
Speaker 2: I I think I've maybe, so I've tried things that haven't worked. And it's interesting the term failure I was thinking about recently. I haven't felt in my life like I've failed. I've done things that didn't work. Yeah, And I was actually thinking about like, there's you know, the term by not having the term failure in my mind when I look at these my past, is that detrimental to my progress or you know, just thinking around the term failure because it's not something I said before. I don't I haven't really thought. I'm using the term purpose within my life and then connecting you know, hard failures, which I definitely have had things that didn't work, and so you could just call that the failure within my life. But yeah, I've always just felt like that I've flowed on with the direction. But the honest truth is like at the moment, like I said, that thing that's coming up, like, I probably feel like I haven't made all this progress, But it's that that's not true, that isn't true.
Speaker 1: I'm just I've watched you from being a kid till now right literally a teenager, and if I would, you know, I don't say things that I don't mean. I am super proud of you, and I'm not piss sing in your pocket. And some people are like, oh my god, this is a love fest, right, and don't I don't care. I don't apologize for that I think. But you know, also, if I think you're being a fuck with, I'm going to tell you I think you're being a fuck with. And the reason I do that is also because I love you, right, I think that is you know, I know that over the years I've been a bit of a mentor to you or whatever, which is you know, flattering to me and maybe helpful or not helpful to you. I don't know, but you know, I think that when people do great, you should tell them, they're doing great, you know. And I look at you and I think, because I know when you know, even not that many years ago, when you and I were you know, version one of my podcasts the day of the Craig Harpers Show, and we were filming every episode and you can still go to YouTube and watch it. Was it called the Craig harpersh Show. Is that what they?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And you and I did, and we did in the time and effort and energy that you put in for no money, like you did ninety percent of the work I did, you did ninety five. I did five percent of the work, and you did all the fucking filming and editing and conceptualizing, and you'd come up with ideas for shows. And then I just sit there and bullshit on and I used to be so grateful that I had this young, talented, dynamic, fucking person just wanting to do stuff with me, right, And then I look at that dude, you know, pre kids, pre marriage, pre all of that, or maybe you've just been married then, but anyway, it was a long time ago. And now I fast forward to now your mid thirties, I'm like, wow, there's been a there's been an evolution, like and you've just gotten better, you know, and you're still excited and you're still curious, and you're still developing talent and skill and awareness and all that, but you're also just you've evolved as a person, you know. And I think it's that that that almost that bilateral journey of developing all your stuff but also developing yourself the middle of all.
Speaker 2: Of that, which I think you've explained that person that was running fast and I feel like I've slowed down now, which I think when we shared our previous approach to life, it can sometimes leave residual around, you know, the metric, the internal metric that you need to meet to feel like you are progressing and so that fast paced you know, like fun energy when you know, I need that approach. I need to feel stressful to be able to execute. Yeah, like I know that that isn't true, but it can really feel like in not progressing based on a new approach or a slower approach.
Speaker 1: And I think different people need different things. I was in Brisbane yesterday morning. I met with doctor Alex who have had on the show A bunch neurosurgeon, and you know, he was describing to me was spoken before about the process of like he realized when he was in year ten he wanted to be a neurosurgeon. I'm like, fuck, when I was in year ten, When I was in year ten, I was just one of my first route. I'm like, that was that was my goal. That didn't happen till I was thirty one. But anyway, that's another show. But like he wanted to be a fucking neurosurgeon, I'm thinking, and then so there and then he was telling me about the journey and the pressure and how how hard it was, which I can imagine and applying to you know, it's like most people who even people who become doctors, and you don't then just go, now I'm doing neurosurgery, Like there's this incredible process that most people don't get through. But my long winded point was that he thrives under pressure. And you want a guy or girl who's operating on your brain to be awesome under pressure, you know what I mean. You don't want someone who's fucking got your top of your head off and they're working on your brain and they're not cool in a crisis, or they're not calm and I think that, you know, it is like you said, like you're running slower, but you're getting there quicker. That's the irony, you know. And this other term came to mind before, and you're like this, it's called destination disappointment. And destination disappointment is you get where you wanted to go and you're like, ah, this is not it. You know, it's like the top of the mountain. Ah, this is not the mountain, or there's the mountain over there, and you know, so that and sometimes we realize that, you know, the important and I know this is cliche and this is not a new revelation, but it ain't really about the destination. It's about what happens to you on the way. You know, it's about the journey. It's about who you become, not what you achieve or you know. And it's like I know that because I've done so many things, and I've fucked up so many things. But I've built businesses, I've built brands, I've built you know, I've done multiple degrees, I've put myself in academic stuff. I've been broke, I've made money. I've done lots of things that didn't work. A few things that did work. I've fucked up, I've failed, I've been uncomfortable. I know that you could put me in nearly any situation and I'd probably figure it out because I'm adaptable and because I'm used to solving problems, and because I didn't grow up being privileged, and I didn't grow up in wealth, and I didn't grow up being the smartest or the most talented, And so that platform of mediocrity for me was like, ironically one of the most empowering things, because if I wanted to be good, if I wanted to succeed, if I wanted to be better than average, then it was always just going to be about work and consistency, you know. And so all of that pain and all of those fuck ups, and you know, the three podcasts that I did before this, the three shows that didn't really work, the five or six hundred shows of the episode of the U Project that kind of cost money, you know, the eight hundred to one thousand episodes that I did before we started being commercially viable. That was all fucking great training. That was all great resilience building, that was great awareness. That was awesome for giving me understanding and insight and understanding the science of podcasting. Yeah, you know, And I couldn't have the knowledge or experience or skill or understanding that I have now if I hadn't have gone through all the shit. You know. But I'm almost positive if I started a new one tomorrow it would work because I know the two hundred things not to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Or you'd decided that there was no destination and you were just a part of the process and you were enjoying it, and so there's it working.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Imagine that I'm here. Imagine that you're just like I'm here where you're going, I'm already there. Yeah, Yeah, I'm just here. There is no destination, there is no Imagine that a life without a life without goals, just a life with purpose. Oh maybe that's the key, Tom. Maybe we've come full circle, Tom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: How often you're going to come and bless us with your presence over here, you know, at the you Project.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Craig, As long as many times as you have me, I'll be there.
Speaker 1: Get your people to talk to my people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will. It'll be me talking to your people.
Speaker 1: Me talking to you. Yeah. Do you want to give anybody a shout out? Do you want to direct people towards anything?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'd like to Yeah, Like I would actually like to plug someth Craig, this is why I came on. Actually, yeah, my son DJ DAKA shout out to him. He's a seven year old aspiring DJ, big ambitions of you know, some big gigs out there. Just wanted to give him. He'd be happy that he got a shout out on Craig's show.
Speaker 1: DAKA shout out from Harps and Dad.
Speaker 2: There is body my son. He says stuff and he's like, I'm like, what are you saying? He's like, oh, it's what Craig Harper says. I can't remember the phrase right now. It's like he says something. I'm like, where did you hear that? He's like, yeah, Craig Harper says it.
Speaker 1: I really don't think the world needs me roll for seven year old, So I think maybe the opposite. He didn't say, Dad, don't be a fucking idiot, did he.
Speaker 2: No, it was no swear word. It was It's like it's like a phrase. It's like hey you going or something like that. It's just basic. And he's like yeah, Craig Harpers is that Maybe he thinks Craig harp is a different person. Maybe he thinks there's a YouTuber out there called that has your name or something. Maybe I don't know, but yeah, shout out to DJ Dacker, d J Dacker.
Speaker 1: We'll finish on DJ Dacker. You have a good night, mate. We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: See you next time. See yeah,