Speaker 1: Welcome the Late Debate. Good evening and welcome to the program.
Speaker 2: I'm Caleb Bond with Liz Storer and filling in for tonight James McPherson is Danika di Giorgio, who, of course you can see as one half of Doneka and James on a Sunday night, or two halves of Doaneka on a Friday night. Of course, you know, we know the coalition is stuffed at the moment here in this country, but it's a different story over in the UK, where Nigel Farage's Reform Party had an excellent result on the weekend. We'll tell you a bit more about that later on. In the papers, some of the coalition's biggest donors, the Liberal Party's biggest donors, are saying they may not ever donate to the party again, what's that telling you? And obviously you were watching our election coverage here on Sky News on Saturday night, but one of the ABC Star guests in its coverage has had some, let's say, rather not so nice things to say about the program he was part of. Will tidy his assessment a little bit later. But amongst all the other stuff that has happened in this election and we'll get into some.
Speaker 1: Of it very shortly.
Speaker 2: A story that you may have missed and one that you may well be happy about. You're not getting text messages from Hfong anymore from the Trumpet of Patriots telling you which way to vote, getting about ten of them a day, as we were, and you may well never get them again, because Clive Palmer has said it's time to hang up his hat. He says, after all this time. Of course, he started more than a decade ago, the Palmer United Party, and then he started the United Australia Party, which he for some reason de registered after the last election, even though he got a senator in Victoria, Ralph Babett. Then tried to re register it for this year and couldn't do so, so he started the Trumpet of Patriots, which by the way, pulled one point eighty five percent of the national votes. All those millions of dollars that Clive spent was basically a donation to the news media in the form of advertiser.
Speaker 1: Can we thank him for that because it's keeping us in work? But he says it's time.
Speaker 2: To say goodbye. He says, I'm seventy one and I'm getting too old for politics. I'd rather spend time helping the tens of thousands that are homeless and hungry in this country. That's why I've donated five million to food Bank.
Speaker 1: So it would seem.
Speaker 2: Finally it is cyanara from mister Palmer in this regard. And I talked about those text messages before, seventeen million text messages Trumpet of Patriots sent out ten thousand complaints. Palmer said they received about those and as I said before, they turned that into one point eight five percent of the national vote. So I'm not sure that was the greatest return on investment. And of course Sewell and Wrightson, who we kept seeing in the advertisements saying you know she'd be the next Prime Minister of Australia, she pulled three point four percent in the seat of Hunter, so a great success. It was againleause it seems he's finally woken up and decided and maybe I shouldn't piss my money up the wall.
Speaker 3: And I think this is sad.
Speaker 4: I like Clyve.
Speaker 3: I love the love.
Speaker 5: That he has for this country because despite what you think of him personally, he loves this country and that is why he's happy to what it looks like on the outside, squander tens of millions of dollars every time we have a federal election. Because he believes in these policies which many of us actually agree with, he simply doesn't have everything else that it takes to get something like this.
Speaker 3: Off the ground.
Speaker 5: But I'm sorry to see the back of him. I mean, this is a guy who during all that COVID nonsense, he was very staunchly, adamantly against it all.
Speaker 3: And think what you will of hydroxy chloroquin.
Speaker 5: My point about this is that this guy spend over thirty million dollars importing a ton of it before the TGA was like, where, we're actually not going to be using this to treat COVID, but thanks anyway. How many people do you know who would gladly do that? And that was a donation. He was like, I'm doing this off my own bat. I'm trying to help my country. This is something that I see as a solution. It turned out not to be. But he's someone who believes in what he believes in, and he's happy to put his money where his mouth is. And yet now he's talking about, you know what, I'm just going to go the philanthropic route and help all the people who don't have money and desperately need help in this country. That's the heart of the guy, and that's why I.
Speaker 4: Like the problem. The problem that I have with Clive Palmer is he doesn't know when to stop with his advertising. I honestly feel like he thinks that we're all sitting there and we get a text and he were like, yes, it's the trumpet of patriots. Yes, thank goodness, thank you for that message, when really we go, oh no, no, not again, please spare us. And look, I do applaud the guy for giving it a crack. He's tried, He's tried. He is a you know, like him, all owe them. He is actually a successful Australian businessman. You know, you don't get to where you are, you don't get to that position without having some successes. He knows what to do. But the problem is is he goes overboard and he bombards us and that's what drives us nuts. And as for Suellen Wrightsen, as you mentioned, Caleb dubbed Australia's next Prime minister look good on the ambition was out look the ambition. I applaud her for having the ambition. Okay, but now the poor woman's had to delete all of her social media, can't She's had enough. She doesn't want to you know, obviously it's been very embarrassed. But look, come on, the campaign overall was a full nightmare. It's time to go, Clive. You've given it a crack. But well done for bowing out.
Speaker 2: I think it gets me about it though, is obviously last election he did get a seat in the Senate in the form of Ralph but as I said before, then for some reason to register the party, and you could argue that in twenty nineteen the preferences flowed in a way from all that money he spent, you know, teams of millions of dollars in order to help Morrison get re elected.
Speaker 1: But what has he achieved this time?
Speaker 2: Because I don't think he's got anything to show for the money he spent this time. And that was always the question is what does he actually want to do? Because of course, you know, Trumpet and Patriots or United Australia Party is never going to seriously get up.
Speaker 1: So what was the point of spending all this money.
Speaker 5: I guess he figured if he could get another Ralph for that into the Senate or anywhere for that matter.
Speaker 3: Then it'd be worth it.
Speaker 5: I love Senator Ralph Babet is an absolute wild card. But when you look at the state of politics in this country, the more wild cards we have the better. He's now on the sidelines being like, I'm glad the Liberals lost the fake Conservatives.
Speaker 3: What were they going to do anyway?
Speaker 5: And we do we need to see a radical revamp of what was once the Conservative Party, and hopefully this catastrophic loss for the Libs is going to give birth to that revamp that's been a long time in coming and unfortunately it's just taking this catastrophe to get there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I agree with you, but I also do think Clive Palmer provided an alternative that I think that the Liberals should have provided. Indeed, because he was straight to you know, the man. When he says something, he says it, and that's what we needed in this country. So again like him, all owe him. He actually gave a genuine alternative which we didn't see from the Liberal Party.
Speaker 2: Indeed, while we're talking about all this election stuff and we're going to get into more of than nitty gritty now, you have to feel bad for Peter Datknoan, amongst all the other things that happened obviously, you know, the worst result for the Coalition since the nineteen forties, since the Coalition has existed. I believe he's lost his own seat of Dixon. So after twenty four years in politics, he's had to bow out of the entire game. And he may well be glad of that because it means he doesn't have to hang around and deal with all the recriminations in the Liberal Party now. But to add insult to injury, we found out today that Donald Trump, the guy that he was linked to all through the campaign. You know, they kept saying what was a dogie? What was the line that Jim Chalmers came out with the dogie Dutton?
Speaker 1: I think it was right. I mean that they worked so hard the Labor.
Speaker 2: Party to link Peter Dutton to Donald Trump, and Donald Trump doesn't even know the guy's name.
Speaker 6: Albanis.
Speaker 3: I'm very friendly with I haven't I don't know anything.
Speaker 6: About the election. He's been very very nice.
Speaker 3: To me, very respectful to me.
Speaker 6: I have no idea who the other person is that ran against.
Speaker 1: Him, And you know, we've had a very good relationship I mean, the poor fella, How.
Speaker 2: Bad must you feel after they linked.
Speaker 1: Him so much to Trump and Trump? I don't even know who he is.
Speaker 2: Interesting though, that he says, there, you know, I've got a great relationship with Alberans and they had a phone call today, actually Alban Easy and Donald Trump. But he's talking about how great the relationship with albo is and he doesn't even know the guy who was apparently going to be Trump two point zero.
Speaker 3: Well, why would you?
Speaker 5: Because I think Trump's people knew Albanezi was a sure win. So it's not like you're going to do any extensive research on the potential other prime minister.
Speaker 3: It was pretty obvious this was well. I always said anyway.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of people were hopeful that this could be a liberal when but I kept telling you, just come back to the electoral math. It doesn't matter what the polls say, and it doesn't matter what the liberals are promising. At the end of the day, the electoral math was staunchly in favor of Labor, and in my humble opinion, it wasn't a case of will Labor win? It was only a case of buy how much? And that is what we've seen take place ever since. But how do you like this, because we've been slamming, just like Dutton got slammed for being like, oh, copy paste Trump and he's bringing all these Trumpian policies and that his campaign did bend over backwards to try and be like, oh no, no, no, that's not us, that's not who we are, that's.
Speaker 3: Not what we're trying to do.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, Alban Easy was being slammed as having no relationship whatsoever with Trump. Just the other week he was saying, Oh, I don't have Trump's phone number. I don't even think he is a phone. No, we don't speak whatsoever. Well, very different tune today. You would have thought they've been mates for ages. Here he was talking about what a wonderful phone call he'd just had with the President of the United States.
Speaker 7: I had a very warm and positive conversation with President Trump just a short while ago. We talked about her. Orcus and Tarifs will continue to engage. We will engage with each other on a face to face basis at some time in the future.
Speaker 5: Turns out they're the ones who have been best friends all along.
Speaker 1: What a twit.
Speaker 4: Who would have thought? Who would have thought. You know the funniest thing about this whole thing is that Anthony Albaneze he couldn't actually get a call for Donald Trump several months of course we had the tariff slapped on us. But suddenly, wow, what by some miracle, he manages to actually get on the blower to Donald Trump. And while all is forgiven, they're all suddenly best friends for life and holding hands. And what does this prove? What does this prove? Well, you had the Labor Party saying, oh, we don't want cut and paste US policies. You had the Greens calling Peter Dutton the t MoU Trump. You had Jason Claire out there day in day out saying, oh, we've got to be very careful we don't import a US based health system here in Australia. And all this proves was that, well, actually, Donald Trump and Peter Dutton had nothing to do with each other. Peter Dutton was never a threat from the very beginning, never a threat. But I think it does open a broader conversation though about the Liberal Party's policies here because the Libs they went into the center, they went center left with their policies. So as a voter. You don't actually have any clear distinction between the Labor Party and the Liberal Party. I actually think that the Liberals should have been more like Trump. And I'm not necessarily saying by way of policy, but I'm talking by way of decisiveness. If you're going to put out a policy, you stick with it. Instead of course, they backflipped on their key policies and Peter Dutton at the start of the campaign, you'll remember he was very firm. He said, I'm only going to stand in front of one flag, the Australian flag. Australia Day is to be celebrated on January twenty sixth. What is a woman? It's an adult female. But towards the last couple of weeks he hasn't been able to answer that they backpedaled on it. So if you're not going to provide a point of difference, you're not going to bring the country with you. Well, no, one day, you lose votes. And that is what Donald Trump did well.
Speaker 2: And this is what really annoyed me about the way the campaign was run for the Libs, because there was always the problem that Dutton was apparently not likable. You know, people didn't see Dutton as the kind of bloke they'd want to have a beer with in the same way they might Anthony Albanizi.
Speaker 1: But you were never going to overcome that.
Speaker 2: I mean, unless you can change the way that Peter Dutton presents in front of a camera, and he's been in politics for a very long time, you're never going to change that. And everyone who knows him personally will say that he's got a wicked sense of humor and he's great company, and he's a great guy. But for whatever reason, that has never translated on screen. So forget about trying to soften him, which they tried to do and failed dismally at. It's never going to happen. They should have just let him lean into what he can do on screen, which is be a hard taskmaster and put it to Peter, put it to Anthony Alberizi. And I think the record will now show that Labor ran a dirty campaign against Peter Dutton, but a very effective one. They played the man rather than the ball but it worked, and I think people got to the ballot box and they didn't necessarily endorse Albanesi and say.
Speaker 1: Gee, I love this elbow bloke.
Speaker 2: He's the best Prime Minister Australia he's ever had. But they were dead certain that they didn't want Peter Dutton anywhere near the lodge. It was the result of a personal campaign that they ran against him. But at no point did the Coalition let Peter Dutton do the same thing to Albanzi.
Speaker 5: No, Well, they were all obsessed with like we've got.
Speaker 3: To soften his image. And I actually think that was.
Speaker 5: The downfall of Pete Dutton because the one thing in politics that is worth its weight in gold is authenticity. And if you're just yourself, whether people like it or lumpet, people know, okay, this guy stands for something and he's being himself. I'm looking at the genuine article, so I know what I do or don't want to vote for. And we know in politics perception is reality. And so what Labor was able to create this narrative around who Peter Dutton is and this hardliner and oh he's so Trump Voldemort, et cetera and so on, which was such a low blow. The guy has alopecia for crying out loud, if you want to pick on his baldness, that is just.
Speaker 3: Way too low.
Speaker 5: But it worked, Like you say, and at the end of the day, after all the votes accounted, that's all that matters. So obviously the big question now is who will be the new Liberal leader. We know Dan Tian's hat is in the ring. We know Susan's Lay's hat is in the ring. We know Angus Taylor's hat is.
Speaker 3: In the ring.
Speaker 5: These are the three names that are being bandied about. But we know one Liberal senator by the name of Holly Hughes, a regular hero on Sky News, has said, whoever it is, it can't be Angus Taylor.
Speaker 8: I know who I won't be supporting. I think when you've had roles leading what was supposed to be the economic narrative, when you were supposed to be putting.
Speaker 4: Together tax policies, when.
Speaker 8: You were supposed to be delivering that sort of messaging for the coalition, when you are aky member of the EERC we're quite frank clear as a shadow who submitted seven costed policies last October and.
Speaker 4: Then never heard anything back.
Speaker 8: There's certain people that I think need to do a lot of reflection themselves on what their role was the miss laws and perhaps putting your hand up for the leadership is not exactly where your strength lies.
Speaker 5: We certainly didn't see a strong performance from Angus Taylor this campaign. I don't think anyone would argue with that, and certainly anyone who watched the debate, I think it was pretty much across the board.
Speaker 3: Everyone was like, ah, yeah, Charmers won that one.
Speaker 5: Sorry, even though we know what team we support, Chalmers won that debate, and that seemed to be a reoccurring theme whenever you saw Angus Taylor on our screen.
Speaker 4: I agree, And the problem is is that the Liberals really did, I think, failed to sell an economic narrative, and August Taylor, being the shadow Treasurer, he was key part of that. And the guy's a smart guy. You cannot deny he is a Rhodes scholar. He knows what he's talking about. But I don't think he particularly came across as strong in that debate that you were talking about, Liz. I don't think he came across strong. There are a lot of fumbles, but you look at the other candidates as well, and I've got to say I'm actually disappointed that Andrew Hasty, the West Australian, dropped out of the race late this afternoon. I thought he would have been a brilliant opposition leader. He is strong. He would have been a great representative for WA who often feels like they are the loaner of the country. I would know that I'm from Western Australia. But the problem is is that the Liberals also hid him throughout the campaign because of comments that he made back in twenty eighteen. I think Susan Lee is now the best out of all of them. Why because the Liberals have a women problem. Now the voters think that the Liberal Party have a women problem, So you put Susan Lee in there. She's probably the most known out of them as being the deputy, so she does have that public profile. But you've got to sell her as the package. You've got to sell her in a way that they didn't sell Peter Dunnon. She's a grandmother, she's got kids of her own. You've got to appeal to that market. I do think that Dan Teene is particularly strong on immigration, but they're going to be in the wilderness for many years no matter what Caleb that thing.
Speaker 2: Which is why Hasty doesn't want to put his hand up yet. In there's an argument, there's an argument to be made that if you don't want to put your hand up now and you want to come in and collect all the prizes later, then you perhaps don't deserve to.
Speaker 1: Collect all the prizes.
Speaker 2: But there's also an argument that it's not worth burning good talent early because if things go really badly at the next election, you know, that could be the end of it. But of course there is a man called John Winston Howard who famously lost an election as Opposition leader and then came back and became the second longest serving Australian Prime minister in history. So it's not like there isn't a roadback from this stuff. But Angus Taylor, I mean, one of the biggest mistakes that the Coalition made in this campaign was to not allow the tax cut that Labors said they were not a sed to the tax cut that Labour said they would pass on, you know, five dollars a week. It was seventeen billion dollars, which in the context of a trillion dollar debt that we already have, wasn't a great deal of money. So you have Angus Taylor come out and say we won't pass on that tax cut.
Speaker 1: Now there are two problems with that. It handed a free kick to Labor.
Speaker 2: I mean he fell for the three card trick, and they then got to say for the rest of the campaign that this is the Liberal Party, the coalition that won't give you a tax cut, and that was born out in the polling that people legitimately started to think that the Labor Party was more likely to be the party that would give them a tax cut. So they handed that as a free kick, and it was never going to get through the Senate anyway. I mean that was legislated within two days, that tax cut. So if the Coalition would form government, they'd have to repeal it, which means they'd have to get it through the set And do you think the Senate would ever allow a tax cut.
Speaker 1: To be repealed.
Speaker 2: It was one of the dumbest decisions they made. So as far as I'm concerned, he's not up to the job. Susan Lay I don't think is particularly electable.
Speaker 1: You know, she just doesn't do it for me. I don't think she's been particularly.
Speaker 2: Impressive as the deputy leader of Liberal Path.
Speaker 5: It could be a smart move for the Libs, though it gives them that massive point of difference. She would be the first female leader of the Liberal Party again in terms of a revamp, optical and otherwise, it could be really helpful for them. And I think Dan Tian being such a part of the Old Guard now, if it were Angus Taylor, if it were Dan Teen, they're considered Dutton's right hand men already, So if what the Libs want is to do a revamp, I think Susan Lay is actually the.
Speaker 2: Best though he's proven himself to be a good campaigner. And I was down in the western districts of Victoria last week at the races in Warnabulle and everywhere were the signs for Alex Dyson because he got money out of the Climate two hundred mod this time, and it was absolutely everywhere we stay in Port Fairy and every second bloody house in Port Fairy had an Alex Dyson sign on it. And I spoke to Tea and at the races on Thursday and said are you worried? And everyone I spoke to at the races during the week said, jeez, I Reckon Teen's in a bit of travel.
Speaker 1: And he managed to hold him off. There was a massive.
Speaker 2: Campaign that Alex Dyson ran down there and he managed to fend it off.
Speaker 1: So he has some campaigning chops, which which clearly the coaletion struggled with.
Speaker 4: But he's been strong as well. But I think overall we have to ask the question as well, is this almost like the death of the Conservatives, because we're not just seeing it here in Australia. We're seeing it the Canadian election that was held last week as well. The Conservatives were decimated. But you look at what's happening as well over in the UK. The Conservatives are not performing very well over there. But you know who is actually outperforming the Conservatives Nigel for Raja's Reform Party. Now, over the weekend the local council elections were held in the UK and Reform did so much better than expected. In fact, it took out multiple counties and it really really was a warning sign. I would say to the Labor Party that hey, people have genuinely han that had enough. But also it just goes to show that when you actually are tough, when you talk tough, when you walk the walk and talk the talk like Nigel Farage, and you're not scared to back away, you actually can make a key difference. Here was Nigel Farage sending a message to other parties.
Speaker 6: The measure to Keir Starmer sarcastically, is please keep doing what you're doing, and the message it can be made not is well. Frankly, the Conservative Party's finished today. It's gone, it's dying in the shahs. It has no future, It stands for nothing.
Speaker 5: It serves no purpose, any chance of doing a deal with them to unite the right.
Speaker 6: I don't want to do a deal with them. We're going to win the next election on our own.
Speaker 4: Okay, Nigel Franch, thank you very much, thank you. And you know what, he probably may have a good chance. The polls are right now in reforms favor. Why because people over there have had enough of mass immigration. They're sick to death of jobs being given to immigrants who've come to the country as opposed to people who were born and raised there. Hello, we're seeing issues here in this country as well. But what I particularly like about Nigel Ferajus he's not mucking around. He said that he's coming after DEI in councils. Have a look.
Speaker 6: We are going to be quite radical. Work from home. Forget it. If you're a DEI officer, I suggest you look for another job.
Speaker 1: So things are going to be different.
Speaker 6: We can't wagh magic ones. We don't pretend to, but it'd be a very different approach to local government.
Speaker 4: So I think that this result was quite telling and it goes to show, as I said, when you actually have policies and you stick to them and you don't back down, you don't go all scared, you don't go all light like what we saw with the Liberal Party here. You can actually make a difference when you have a point of difference. It was a really really successful win over a former even former gb News host Darren Grimes. He even managed to get a seat in one of the councils, which was which was quite quite astonishing and good on and he's done very well up there. But I really think that Reform is a party. We need something like that here in Australia because we don't have it the Conservatives. If you're going to move over to the left like the labor left, then what's the point You're not taking voters with you.
Speaker 5: And this is just remarkable in a matter of months. So it was just August last year UK went to the polls.
Speaker 3: We know that Kirstarmer got up.
Speaker 5: Reformer party just got fourteen percent of the vote share, modest, not too bad. Here we are in the following year and in these local elections they romped in thirty percent of the vote, winning six hundred and seventy seven council seats.
Speaker 3: This is huge.
Speaker 5: They crushed Labor, they crushed the Conservatives. Labor lost over one hundred and sixty seats. The Conservatives lost over six hundred seats in these local elections. So those guys are absolutely really You will remember, just months after the national election last year, over two million English people signed a poll saying, please, we are crying out Parliament go to an early general election because.
Speaker 3: We already have by a remorse.
Speaker 5: They had punished the Conservatives at election because the Conservatives had not delivered on their Brexit promises, namely to clamp down on the mass rampant immigration that was sweeping the UK. Kiss Starmer then became Prime Minister, took the narrow win and proceeded.
Speaker 1: To just keep doing.
Speaker 5: All these progressive policies that everyone in the UK had said very loudly they didn't want any more. But worse than that, Kiers Starma then enacted these draconian policies to silence everyone and censor everyone who was still complaining, still noticing, still posting on their socials being like my country's being overrun and I'm absolutely sick of it. And that's where reform is now absolutely transcendent because they're just like, Okay, the Conservatives aren't cutting.
Speaker 3: It for you.
Speaker 5: We are replacing them. We will be the Conservative party that you long to see. It's going to be really interesting when they go back to the polls for a general election reform.
Speaker 3: I have no doubt that Farage can do this.
Speaker 5: And he means business when he says, you guys are dead in the water.
Speaker 3: We're going to win a majority government.
Speaker 5: By ourselves come the next general election.
Speaker 3: We're just getting started.
Speaker 2: Well, they picked up another MP on the weekend as well as the election, so they've now got their fifth MP in the Parliament in the UK. And of course they have a first pass the post system in the UK, which makes things a little more difficult in terms of getting candidates over the line because you look like at a party like the lib Dems for instance, and they've got you know, seventy eighty odd seats or something, but they only pull two or three percent of the national vote, but they have strong support in small parts of the country. So on a first past the post model you can actually get a lot of candidates in. So the trouble for the Reform Party is to be able to turn national support into a genuine first past the post result in multiple electorates. But to make it clear just.
Speaker 1: How extraordinary this was.
Speaker 2: In the council elections, there's one thy six hundred and forty one seats across the UK. Six hundred and seventy seven of them, forty one percent went to the Reform Party. The lib Dems won three hundred and seventy, the Tories three hundred and nineteen, as Liz said before, that's down six hundred and seventy seven on where they were, and Labor one ninety eight, which is down one hundred and eighty nine seats. So the Tories and Labor, the two major parties, combined one quarter of the seats the council seats in the UK, and Reform, what was previously a minor party that started up last year about four or five weeks before for the general election in the UK, has taken forty one percent of them. I mean, that is absolutely extraordinary. But the one thing I will say, the advantage that Reform, and Farage has in the UK as opposed to the situation we have here is that Reform is essentially the only alternative Conservative party that exists in the UK, whereas here you've got one Nation, and you've got Rennick and you've got family First. But we are so trumpet to patriots, we are so splintered that the effort to actually create a genuine alternative to the Liberal Party or the Coalition would require a lot of people to knock their heads together and have to make sacrifices on their various little bug bears and whatever to say, we've got to get together and create something here that could actually be a genuine alternative, because the way it is at the moment, you could never do what Reform.
Speaker 4: The thing is, the Conservatives are being decimated right now across the world, other than Donald Trump, who has done exceptionally well. But again it comes down to good life leadership. And people criticize Nigel Farage saying he's Donald Trump two point right. Hey, the guy is highly successful because he says it like it is and that's the difference. And I do agree, well, correct, It's all about authenticity. It's not about backing away I do agree. Here in Australia it is very different. But it also comes down to the Liberal Party pulling up their socks. And I believe that they can get there, but they're not going to get there anytime soon. That is the problem. So who's going to come up in the ranks and actually do it.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine how the Tories must feel. They could have had Nigel Farage.
Speaker 4: And it will be Averen story.
Speaker 2: They said no and he's gone and proven and wrong. And I can't get over this business. Today Donald Trump saying he's going to put one hundred percent tariff on films made overseas that are then screened in Hollywood, and here he is talking about it.
Speaker 4: We're making very few movies now, Harleywood, He's being displayed.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: You haven't jarfenent grossly and garpending.
Speaker 4: Governor that allows that to happen.
Speaker 2: So I'm not just blaming nations, but other nations, a lot of them have stolin.
Speaker 5: I'm moving in them.
Speaker 2: So he says Hollywood is dying and we have to do something to try and revive Hollywood. I mean, I would suggest there are a multitude of reasons that Hollywood is dying. I mean, it went woke and no one wanted to watch the crap that was coming out of it. Just look at the snow white film that Disney just put out. Of course, Disney's now miraculously turned around and said, oh, maybe we won't make woke films anymore. Funny about that, because reality eventually comes to bad. Also, has anyone noticed that there are no original ideas in the movie industry anymore? I mean, can we stop with all the remakes that seems to be all they put out.
Speaker 1: Now, remake after remake after remake.
Speaker 2: They've genuinely run out of ideas. So no wonder Hollywood is in trouble. And I wish I could tell you the detail around this plan, but it doesn't actually exist. I mean, all we've been told is that Trump wants to put one hundred percent tariff on films that come from overseas. We don't know whether that means that it would be one hundred percent tariff on the production cost that would then have to be paid by the production company so their film could be screened in the US, or whether it means that the cinemas would have to pay one hundred percent tariff on the tickets that they sell, or the netflixes and all the other streaming services of the world, or the television stations of the world would have to pay another one hundred percent on top of what they've already paid in rights in order to screen the film, or whether it's the total box office taking.
Speaker 1: No one knows what this actually leans. I mean, this was a brain fart from Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Seriously, he's an ounce They've got to make it work now. All the Hollywood exects, by the way, like, we got no heads up about this.
Speaker 5: We found out about it when it came out of the man's mouth. And given the scrambling the Trump admin is now trying to do.
Speaker 3: To enact this, apparently it's happening.
Speaker 5: I don't think they knew either, because obviously a movie isn't a product. It doesn't travel through ports, so how is such a tariff going to work. It's also startled a lot of other people in different other sectors because they're like, well, hang on a minute, we thought these tariffs would just be on products. Now you mean to tell me we're talking movies. Who else is he going to hit up?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 5: But this was Trump's post from his Truth social platform. He said the movie industry in America is dying a very fast death.
Speaker 3: I'd say that's a great thing.
Speaker 5: But anyway, other countries are offering all sorts of incentives to draw our filmmakers and studios away from the United States. Hollywood and many other areas within the USA are being devastated. This is a concerted effort by other nations and therefore a national security threat. Oh, this is reaching hysteric levels, ladies and gentlemen. It is in addition to everything else, messaging and propaganda.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 5: How about you get rid of the Pentagon Department that works in collusion with Hollywood to pump this crap out. It's therefore, I am authorizing the Department of Commerce and the United States Trade Representative to immediately begin the process of instituting a one hundred percent tariff on any and all movies coming into our country that are produced in foreign lands. We want movies made in America again in his usual caps, Now, he's not wrong. According to data from prod pro, spending on film production TV production in the United States has gone down by twenty eight percent just between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty four. That is a lot of money we're talking about, and he wants to keep it in the country. But you can't deny that if you haven't made things. The production companies are obviously like, well, we can produce this cheaper elsewhere anyway, not to mention all the exotic locations that they film in.
Speaker 3: Of course they're going to do it, but rather than.
Speaker 5: Make it more affordable for them to do so in the US, he's just saying, no, I'm going to make it far too expensive for you to do it anyway.
Speaker 1: Try use VHS. That's why you think so well, I.
Speaker 4: Highly doubt a billionaire like Donald Trump still on the old VHS. Yeah, but look, you never know. Look but one can dream. But I completely this was a thought bubble. There is no doubt this is a thought bubble. This is not only going to cripple the overseas market, We're going to be impacted here in Australia as well by this. Don't forget there's been major films. If you look back, there's been major films film here. It's going to have an impact on our market. It's going to cripple the independent movie scene. I was reading as well, over seventy five percent of box office Hollywood films actually reportedly come from outside of the US, so it probably will encourage Hollywood to seek to move out of the United States. But you know, Hollywood only has itself to blame here, because, as you said, Caleb, Hollywood went woke years ago snow white. For example, there was that ridiculous one Amelia Perez where it was a Mexican drug law and that was transgender. I mean, where are they getting this from. They've got quotas for when you win awards. They've got quotas. You have to have certain demographics to win awards. So you know, maybe if I actually stopped with this white nonsense, they could revive the movie scene. It's very clear Donald Trump has no idea what he's doing here with this one. I've got to say, I think this was a complete thought bubble. I think there'll be a lot of pushback as well.
Speaker 2: You may have a point though. Crocodile Dundee was pretty good Australian propaganda, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: It was bring back Crocodile Dundee before we leave you for a break tonight. Chinese, one of their humanoid robot factories, has made headlines around the world for all the wrong reasons. It's called China's Unitree Robotics. They were supposed to be showcasing this humanoid robot called H one, and well it went very badly in fact, with someone kind of This guy was lucky to escape with his life. There's a humanoid absolutely going tropo. These guys are running for their lives. They almost got bashed in the head, taken out by this robot, which Unitree is trying to sell.
Speaker 3: You can go online and buy one of these now.
Speaker 5: I think sales are probably going to plummet, but it certainly doesn't dissuage the fears that so many people have about these humanoid robots. Elon Musk has been like, oh, we're going to produce five to ten thousand of them in the next few years. Those people, those techie people, are very excited about this expanding industry, and the rest of us are watching on with horror at things like this terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's incredible to think where we could be going. I just got to say, that thing looks like me. When I went through my bit slips at Warnable Lab, I realized that back two inns All Week book, He's cleaned me up I meaning two minute noodles for the rest of the year, it would see. After the break we'll get into the papers, big time Liberal donuts.
Speaker 1: Saying they may will never donate to the party again.
Speaker 2: That is how bad things have become. Don't go away, all right, let's get into tomorrow's papers. We'll start with the Australian, where I have to say, right up the top, the best story I've seen all week, perhaps all year, a bit of avoidance from the election. Oscar Piastre, who has won again in the US. I mean he is just it and a bit boy from Brighton in Melbourne. He will win the championship this year, mark my words. But another story underneath it, completely hopeless, furious top Liberal donors to close wallets. Top Liberal party donors are pulling their financial support for the party, blaming the combination of a disorganized election campaign and Peter Dathen's labor light policy platform, saying without early wholesale changes, they won't be giving in three years time. And it goes on to name some of these people, soul Pats, Robert Milner and plenty of others. Stockbroger Angus Aiken saying you know, we just can not get over exactly how bad this was.
Speaker 1: To quote soul Pats.
Speaker 2: Who's given more than a million dollars in the past to the party said it's been a disaster. I will be seriously thinking about whether I ever donate again.
Speaker 1: I don't know where they go to from now. It was a very poor campaign. There were too many mixed messages.
Speaker 2: They didn't convince voters that labor spending billions on renewables is a bad idea. That Libs have to change their way of thinking and get more of the swing voters. I mean, when you've got people who punt up a lot of money, say I don't know that I'll ever give them money again, you own big traup.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, this is a real worry for the Liberal Party. They would be absolutely crying to read this article because if you haven't got the money, you haven't got the backing, then what's the point of putting out a campaign. But look, they've done it to themselves. They will have to rebuild. They're going to have to really convince donors that they are not in the wilderness, that they are going to improve, that they're going to fix the mess but it's going to take a lot of time. But they need that money.
Speaker 5: It would be such a good time, like we were talking about earlier, if there was a legitimate alternative like worm have managed you out of the blue, like they haven't even been around for that long at all, and look what they have achieved. Because people are desperate for a Conservative party and they're like, well the Conservatives aren't doing it for you, We're going to do it for you.
Speaker 3: If one of those were to.
Speaker 5: Spring up in Australia pretty soon, they could count on these backers arguably just say hey, if those are the policies that you want to see pushed, that's our bread and butter. We're going to do it legitimately, unapologetically, and we're going to create some wins in this country for the Conservative vote. You wonder if you wouldn't Just like the Conservatives in the UK, the Tories have lost a lot of big donors to form. These guys could do the same if and when they actually exist, said here in Australia.
Speaker 2: Well, it'd be good to see them given a scare, wouldn't it. One day scare they had on the weekend is enough to shock them into action. But of course, now that albow is back, all the old people are starting to circle again, and one of them is Marsha Langton says. On the front of the aus Tomorrow sees the moment, Langton tells PM, and don't forget that Penny Wong sort of suggested in the dying days of the campaign that there could be a legislated voice, But Langton says, here it says Anthony Albernez, he must use he's once in a generation election win to be courageous in Indigenous policy and go beyond warm acknowledgments of traditional owners to address extreme disadvantage. Voice and architect Marshall Langton says. The wipeout of the coalition on Saturday is being seen by some supporters of the Ularu statement from the heart as a rejection, sorry of opposition attacks on welcome to Country ceremonies. It's shunning of the Aboriginal flag and for an eleventh hour attempt to convince voters that Labor had a secret plan to revive.
Speaker 1: An Indigenous voice.
Speaker 2: To anyone who actually believes that, to to borrow a line from the Prime Minister, who I believe he borrowed from some influencer podcast, is you are de Lulu with no, Slulu, I mean to think that this election was actually a rejection of Datton saying that Welcome to Country is overdone and that he would only stand in front of the Australian fact. I'm sorry, no one walked into a ballot box Saturday and said I'm voting on the basis of welcome in the country. They voted on the basis of cost of living and the fact that they just didn't like Peter Datton to say, well, this is a rejection of wokeness and well, you know this is people saying, actually, like work does something.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But you know what, though, the Liberals actually should have gone harder on the voice. I think throughout the campaign they should have they should have narrated it out. As for Marsha, you know, they just pipe in their heads up again now that Labor has been re elected. And what struck me the other night now Beneze his victory speech when he really enthusiastically acknowledged Elder's past president emerging and that that line he was really husiastics So you know, the gang is back together. The gang are back together.
Speaker 1: Kate.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, God help us always like to say to that, but I don't. I just don't think if they think that's what people were voting on.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll look at the Herald's sun now. Now, this is one of the most delicious moments of the election campaign. If there is any Bant in fight to survive, hallelujah. There eight Victorian seats remain in doubt as the race titans in the Liberals favor in three key electorates, offering the party a silver lining amid the devastating defeat. Greensley that Adam Banty is at risk of losing his seat of Melbourne to Labor, while t LMP Monk Ryan on Monday had to walk back claims she'd won Kugyong. God, how embarrassing, admitting that the count was too close to call. Postal votes in at Kuyong have favored the Liberal candidate there, Amelia Hamer, who on Sunday night said we can win this. So you've got doctor Monique Ryan. Firstly, she was out there celebrating she'd won. I saw she even put on her ex account Thank you Cooyong. She was all excited. Oh, you might have to backpedal. How embarrassing. And as for Adam Bant, Trella see you later. Adam off you go goodbye. Don't let the door hit you on your way out. That's your only silver lining from this whole election campaign.
Speaker 2: When you see now delicious not about to talk about Sidney sweeneyws on the front. Well, I mean you would think that would be It would be much much better than Adam band, much better vision than Adam Banter or menik Rah.
Speaker 1: And that's for sure.
Speaker 2: But I mean, for goodness sake, you know they say don't count your chickens before then, and given the advice of eggs these days, they're very expensive chickens to be counting.
Speaker 1: I mean, wouldn't it be magnificent?
Speaker 2: And we saw, of course that the Greens have gone backwards, they lost two seats.
Speaker 1: In Queens It I mean, how.
Speaker 2: Delicious would it be see Adam indeed, to see Adam Bant go with them. I suspect Bant is going to hold on and most of the Teals, it should be noted, even if two of them say go in Victoria, most of them will hold on in the rest of the country. So it's not like the days are over for the Teals. But it is a window into their bravado to say on election.
Speaker 1: And then the couch starts coming in. So sorry, I got that wrong.
Speaker 5: Very humiliating to the front page of the Townsville Bulletin. Now odd story bin police to check waste come again. Residents and ratepayers in Townsville will soon be treated to a strange site on their streets, that of Townsville City Council employees popping open their bins to take a look inside. The move comes as a part of Townsville City Council's new Bin health check program, running until September across seven suburbs. These guys are going to be armed with clipboards. The council's rubbish crops are doing visual checks of your recycling bins on collection day to make sure there's no mix ups.
Speaker 3: The mayor says this blitz is all about.
Speaker 5: Boosting recycling and cutting land fell So she says they won't be rifling through rummish.
Speaker 3: Just taking a look.
Speaker 5: So to Townsville residence, all that matters is what's on top, okay, So just whatever you do, make sure you sprinkle the good stuff on top, get the tick from these clipboard council employees and you're in the clear.
Speaker 1: Anyway, How would you like to be a bin coop.
Speaker 4: I mean, they wouldn't be the best job. Can you imagine the smell out of everyone's bins?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of one of my favorite stories ever published in the history of journalism, which was by a little paper in a small town in the US where the local government had decided that what was in the bin once it was on the footpath was public property, so anyone could come.
Speaker 1: Along and take it.
Speaker 2: So these small time journos of this little paper went rifled through the bins of all the local politicians and then published what they found in their bins, and very quickly that policy was turned back. I wonder whether that might happen in this case. After the break, the conclave begins this week to decide who the new Pope will be. What if it was Donald Trump will show you that after this, Well, the new Pope will be decided this week. But it would seems the White House has designs on Donald Trump talk.
Speaker 4: Oh look, I think this is absolutely brilliant. Yes, it's a big moment for the Vatican, of course, as they look to elect a new pope, and we saw this fascinating image. It's an AI generated image that Donald Trump has put out today of well, none other than himself is he's nominated and selected himself to be the new Pope. Gosh, if you don't you know he looks. This is the problem with AI. You never know what's real or fake. But you've got to have a look at this AI video. And well, I thought it was a classic personally, isn't it just brilliant? And look, of course the left to the left, they're all upset, they say it's offensive. I actually think it was quite funny. Personally, I think we shouldn't take things so seriously. He put it out as a little bit of a joke. He thought it was funny, and you know what, we've got to take it with a bit of humor. But AI is scary because it didn't look real in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Well one was he who actually goes to Catholic church?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do. All thought it's hilarious. Trump's not even a Catholic.
Speaker 5: He doesn't even attend church church of any description.
Speaker 3: He's absolutely trolling.
Speaker 5: And then the White House's official ex otherwise known as Twitter account, re shared the video, so they're clearly just having a laugh.
Speaker 3: Can everyone please come now?
Speaker 2: I have to say, though surely being a poping a priest involves celibacy. I don't think Donald Trump would ever get the job.
Speaker 5: I mean, for all his faults, and everyone's always rushed to Trump's defense. And I've used the line myself to be like it was an elected to be pope. He was now.
Speaker 3: Here, he has been light well.
Speaker 1: Actually well he's already had.
Speaker 2: I had the second coming in the White House, so who knows what he can do over at Vatican City. But before we go, Tony Barry, who works with our mate Cos Samaras over at Redbridge. He's one of the co directors of at Redbridge, was on the ABC's election coverage on Saturday night. I know you weren't watching that, you were watching us, but you would think, given he was on the coverage, you would have wonderful things to say about it. But his assessment was thus, the ABC was the only telecast of six hours of no data analysis and insight, just six endless what I reckon journalism ours unwatchable drivel. He said they should burn the ABC to the ground quote unquote, and then sort the earth underneath and on behalf of all of us. Tony Barry, we say thank you here, Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Tonight, Britta Panecky Show is Up.