Speaker 1: Welcome to the Friends with Money podcast, brought to you by Money Magazine, creating financial freedom for Australians since nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Hello and thanks for joining us for another episode of Friends with Money, money Magazine's podcast to help you earn, save, and achieve your financial goals. My name is Tom Watson, AC and journous here at Money Magazine, and as always it is a pleasure to be with you, no matter our age or life stage. I think we can all appreciate the importance of retirement planning, but figuring out how to get started or even what to do next if you've already got the ball rolling, we feel pretty confusing and maybe even overwhelming for a lot of people. The good news is that technology is helping to change the game here though, Whether you're in your early career and just beginning to save, or you're refining your strategies as retirement rows closer, digital tools are shifting the way that we approach financial planning and hopefully making things easier and making things more accessible and fingers cross, making things they are a little bit less intimidating. So on today's episode, we are going to dig into how these digital tools work. Who they'refore and why they could prove to be a bit of a game changer, and they're very pleased to say that. Joining us today to help us unpack this topic for us is one of our favorite guests on Friends with Money and possibly the guest with the best voice, at least voice forverro that we have on. It's Jeremy Lack, financial advisor with a talentra super financial planning. Jeremy, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks Tom, always a pleasure to join the conversation, and thanks for that very warm welcome as well.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you enjoyed the little nods to your fantastic voice. Jeremy. Let's die writing because we got a lot to cover today. What are these digital tools and ultimately how can people actually deal with them?
Speaker 3: It's a great question. So in the financial planning space, digital tools are being used to help people explore a range of different options to run different scenarios and better understand the steps they can take now to improve their financial future. Many super funds Teltra superincluded, are now offering these sorts of tools to help empower their members. In some instances, financial advisors might also use them to assist in meetings with clients as well.
Speaker 2: And Jeremy, are these for everyone or are they just for retirement planning purposes?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Look, ultimately they're making financial advice more accessible for everyone, which is a great thing. Some tools are more focused on time planning, but there's others that address a range of different needs as well. It's worth mentioning Also, you don't need to be a sophisticated investor or particularly tech savvy either. The idea is that they're designed to be really interactive and very easy to use.
Speaker 2: Excellent, Okay, So I don't need to be a proper finance wiz to get to grips within them. So Jeremy, well, what kind of things are we you know, are people actually doing with these tools? Then?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So different super funds are offering various online tools and calculators. Some will be available to everyone and just available on their public website so that anyone can go and have a look at them and a play around. Others might just be for members and you might need to log into your online super account or portal or access them in some other way. Some examples so Telfraserver offers tools to help you pick an investment option in your account to see how long your money will last, but also to learn about the impacts of things like taking a career break or changing jobs, or even exploring different income options that you might use in retirement.
Speaker 2: Those also sounds very useful to me. But I want to pick you up on that kind of investment options point in particular, Jerem, can you perhaps give us a quick walkthrough of how someone would actually use a tool to pick an investment option, because it's obviously an area that people will probably be really interested in looking into, but might find a bit tricky to actually approach.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, and understandably it can feel pretty daunting to a lot of people. Teltra Super has an Investment Choice Selector, which is a tool that's designed to help members understand which Teltra Super investment option might work best for them. The whole process takes around seven minutes to complete, and you essentially answer a few short questions online around your investment return preferences, your attitudes to risk, and your investment timeline. What you then get once you've completed that is a recommendation regarding your risk profile and investment option, which comes as a digital statement of advice. It's really helpful the fact that this tool also helps to explain the reasoning behind its suggestions as well, So it's not just about showing you an option. It gives you context so that when you've got that, you can make an informed choice with confidence. From there, you can either change the investment option, seek further assistance, or leave the decision for another day. It's entirely up to you.
Speaker 2: And just to pick up on one thing there, Jeremy. For those who might not be totally ofay with the term, what do you mean by risk profile?
Speaker 3: Yes, so a risk profile is essentially a way to measure how comfortable someone is with taking financial risk when it comes to their investments. Inherently there is a trade off between risk and return, so when people pursue higher returns, they usually experience more short term volatility in the value of their investment. For those that prefer less volatility, the trade off is typically that long term returns are likely to be lower and probably important to st there's no right or wrong here. It's all about finding the right balance that works for each individual based on their personal circumstances.
Speaker 2: Right. So it's a bit like in theory trying to work out how much of a rollercoaster riot you're willing to go on with your money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. And everyone's comfort level is different, and it can depend on a range of things, like you know how close you are to retirement, what your financial goals are. Potentially people's overall financial position may have some bearing as well, and even things like your personality or prior investment experience will often have an impact to maybe as an example, so younger people might be more willing to take risks because they have more time to recover from any dips in the market. On the other hand, for those nearing retirement, it often becomes a bit of a balancing act between generating enough returns so that assets last a lifetime, but also having enough stability so that if and when there is some volatility in markets they can ride that out. It's probably also worth pointing out that it's pretty normal for someone's risk profile to change over time as they go through the different stages of life.
Speaker 2: So what do you think of I guess the benefits here of getting a bit of advice in this area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, picking the right option can have a massive impact, So it can amount to tens of thousands of dollars difference to someone's balance when they retire, so quite considerable, and the impacts of that from there can be significant, So that's a massive impact. Beyond that, I think what it also helps to do is improve people's financial literacy. It will help more people engage through the superannuation and make good choices, and as you know, Tom big advocate for that.
Speaker 2: Not a surprise, Jeremy. We've covered investments in a way, so it'd be great to I guess shift gears a little bit to what I imagine is going to be one of the most common questions that people have in the retirement context, that is, how long will my super last? So kind of kind of contact with digital tools here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's often the big question that we get as advisors, and digital tools are also fantastic for helping to address this as well. So you know, you might take, for example, say a retired couple in their mid sixties who recently used Teltrasuper's retirement Lifestyle planner. With a combined superbalance of eight hundred and fifty thousand dollars, they discovered that on their desired annual income of eighty thousand dollars, their savings were estimated to last until they both reached the age of ninety one, so that was pretty informative in this situation. But beyond that, the calculator also provides insights into when they might start receiving the government age pension and how these payments might actually increase over time as well. In addition, it also highlights the potential long term impacts of withdrawing extra funds for things like holidays or improvements to the home, upgrading the car, or unexpected health expenses. So it really helps to provide a bit of a complete picture that people can adjust to their circumstances.
Speaker 2: That legitimately sounds really useful. I mean having that kind of specific income and age to kind of at least latch onto it as a bit of a guide. But what if it tells the tool tells the couple that you know, instead, that their super won't last long enough, how do they know what to do next? So good question, Tom. This is a common reality that people face, which is where using something like the Retirement Lifestyle Planet can really assist people in assessing their options. For example, if you see that you are likely to write out of funds in your lifetime, the calculator can help you understand how different scenarios could impact how long you super could last. For example, people can see that the impact of working a few extra years might help them build their retirement savings and then extend how long that lasts extends lifetime of that in retirement, so they can see the impact of working a couple of extra years or a few extra years. They can look at the impact of, say making additional contributions as well, or even picking a different investment option so they can adjust and taylor so that they have more insight into the options that are available to them to make it work. They might also think about using another tool called the lifetime income calculator to explore how combining an annuity style lifetime pension with other sources of income such as an account based pension and the government age pension can provide a steady stream of income in retirement. This lifetime income calculator is particularly useful when it comes to people who worry about running out of money in their later years as well. I can definitely see the benefits of using tools just like that and the kind of investment options calculator that we're talking about. For Jeremy. But I guess my question that's kind of popped in as the converssion has gone on, is where do you see these tools fitting in with more traditional financial planning, at least as we know it at the moment. Are these tools, I guess, the way of the future, or is there kind of a role for both?
Speaker 3: I mean, I hope there's a role for both, because I quite like my job, But realistically, I believe that there will always be a place for traditional financial advice for a few reasons I think so. Firstly, not everyone's going to be comfortable with self serving online. There's a lot of people who prefer to work with a human who understands their situation, particularly when the conversations that we have and the advice that we provide is so linked to personal circumstances and goals. There's also a significant shortage of advisers in Australia as well, and the fact that digital tools allow some people to self serve is absolutely a positive as it means more people can ultimately get the assistance that they need. Also, I just add that advisors are also able to zoom out and look at the broader picture, particularly when providing comprehensive advice that covers a range of complex topics. And for all the progress we're seeing digital tools, and it's really moving along quite quickly and quite impressive. In the developments we're seeing. I think advisors will still play and continue to play a crucial role when looking at that sort of big picture, comprehensive advice piece. But I think what we'll also see is a lot of people start to take that hybrid approach where they use the online tool versus a starting point almost and then from their maybe look to engage with an advisor if they feel it's appropriate. And as I said earlier, some advisors are also starting to use digital tools themselves, and I think there's absolutely a place for both formats well.
Speaker 2: From a personal perspective, I quiet larned the idea behind bridge approach where I can kind of go in and have a play around with these calculators, seeing what they're saying, and then maybe get some advice with a real human like you're like yourself down the track. But I'm sure listeners will also be happy to hear that your job is safe for now, Jeremy. That will be nice, right. We have covered a ton the ground but soundly that's where we are going to leave things for today. So Jeremy, thank you so much for joining us again and for breaking this all down. It's been brilliant having you back on the show.
Speaker 3: My absolute pleasure. Tom, thanks for having me on the show again. Hopefully the listeners can check out some of the tools that they're super Fund offers and take that first step towards the comfortable retirement.
Speaker 2: Absolutely would encourage people to jump on and have a play around, have a look. I think it's really interesting and you know, even if it starts a bit of a conversation or an idea or a step towards you know, retirement and retirement goals and wonderful stuff. Anyway, that is it to this episode of the Friends with Money podcast. But I forget to jump on our website moneymag dot com dot au for your daily dose of financial news. Or you can go grab yourself a copy of the alleged edition of Money Magazine in all good news agents. As always, Friends with Money will be right back in your podcast feed next week. So until then, my name is Tom Watson.
Speaker 1: Goodbye for now, thanks for listening to the Friends with Money podcast for credible, independent and easy to understand financial commentary visit moneymag dot com dot A. Please remember that the views and opinions expressed in this podcast are general in nature, and further independent advice and research based on your personal circumstances should be sought before making an investment decision